Difficulty Level of raids

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Nethod.7068

Nethod.7068

Still no story version of the raids, eh?
People still complaining since raid launch?
That’s real fun stuff.

Mercellas,
Guardian, Chef

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

The point is, if you claim the game needs challenging content, then said price is inevitable.

Well, i don’t claim it. I never asked for any challenging content at all. I was perfectly fine with the difficulty of pre-HoT game.

Besides, it’s not really inevitable. The price is a direct result not of the challenge level, but of the fact that it’s a group content, and a 10-man at that. With 5-man content the cost would be much, much smaller, for example. It would also be much smaller if there were no incentives to bring in players that didn’t really like that type of content, and/or if it was less time-consuming.

Well, it was a reply to someone who did.

Besides, you’re wrong. 100 CM is 5-man content and it has pretty much the same accessibility issues. Being 10-man slightly compounds that, but it also lets the devs to design more interesting encounters, so it’s a price I’m happy to pay.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

The point is, if you claim the game needs challenging content, then said price is inevitable.

Well, i don’t claim it. I never asked for any challenging content at all. I was perfectly fine with the difficulty of pre-HoT game.

Besides, it’s not really inevitable. The price is a direct result not of the challenge level, but of the fact that it’s a group content, and a 10-man at that. With 5-man content the cost would be much, much smaller, for example. It would also be much smaller if there were no incentives to bring in players that didn’t really like that type of content, and/or if it was less time-consuming.

Well, it was a reply to someone who did.

Besides, you’re wrong. 100 CM is 5-man content and it has pretty much the same accessibility issues. Being 10-man slightly compounds that, but it also lets the devs to design more interesting encounters, so it’s a price I’m happy to pay.

I would say 100CM is behind 100 fractals, agony resistance and finding 4 others.

While raids are behind finding 9 others.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

So then you agree that the game needed optional challenging content…. ?

Or are we just going to forget Liadri exist ?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So then you agree that the game needed optional challenging content…. ?

Or are we just going to forget Liadri exist ?

Liadri, as a pretty much unrepeatable solo content behind which no exclusive class of gear is locked doesn’t have the issues raids have. But to answer your question, no, i don’t feel that the game needed that kind of content. At most, that it is okay to have as long as it doesn’t cause any bigger issues.

(now, come to think, there is one thing that is wrong with Liadri – the fact that there was only a limited time to get that achievement, and that it’s not something someone new players could try)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

As a reminder – Liadri had variable levels of difficulty through the use of gambits, and, at the base level, wasn’t overly difficult for most professions regardless of gear. It was when you cranked up the gambits that the fight became a real challenge. Even more importantly, the fight, since it was solo, didn’t have the social component raids do – or any lore/story tie ins. As a result, it didn’t have the same potential social impact raids have on guilds or groups of friends.

It was a good example of how to implement challenging content. Too bad they haven’t revisited the gauntlet in a really long time.

TexZero.7910

As a reminder – Liadri had variable levels of difficulty through the use of gambits, and, at the base level, wasn’t overly difficult for most professions regardless of gear. It was when you cranked up the gambits that the fight became a real challenge. Even more importantly, the fight, since it was solo, didn’t have the social component raids do – or any lore/story tie ins. As a result, it didn’t have the same potential social impact raids have on guilds or groups of friends.

It was a good example of how to implement challenging content. Too bad they haven’t revisited the gauntlet in a really long time.

You can get all the raid lore solo. I really don’t know what more you want as there is no lore in the fights.

I’d also like to point out that this game has always had challenging content, some of it grouped, some not. Liadri and even Marionette to an extent proved that this game can have both challenging solo content and group content that. But you know Pre-HoT rose tinted glasses and all.

Remind me again what event people keep clamoring for the return of in the open world again ?

FrizzFreston.5290

You can get all the raid lore solo. I really don’t know what more you want as there is no lore in the fights.

I’d also like to point out that this game has always had challenging content, some of it grouped, some not. Liadri and even Marionette to an extent proved that this game can have both challenging solo content and group content that. But you know Pre-HoT rose tinted glasses and all.

Remind me again what event people keep clamoring for the return of in the open world again ?

You can not get all raid lore solo. The experience of a raid encounter, its animations, its enemy type the magic it’s using the way it dies or the way it phases from one thing to the next could be considered lore.

It’s highly debatable whether there’s no lore in any fight. Even Liadri, where one could argue that there’s no lore in fighting her, uses specific skills, which no other NPC or player character uses. One might speculate where it comes from and a developer might one day decide it would be a highly interesting story to tell, if they haven’t already ofcourse.

Please, let me remind you the speculation of the name of Mordremoth in the skills of subject alpha.

Ofcourse, you could argue that it’s minor. I mean it would be just as minor as finding out that Zaithan and scarlet were killed in personal story or LW1. But it’s a whole other level than being there, defeating the encounter yourself.

Sure, not alot of raiders have the class to actually care about the lore, to the point they’re shortsighted enough to say “all the lore is in the little snippets outside and inside the dialogue where you don’t experience the content yourself”

You can’t claim that raids are in any way interesting if all the adventuring of running from spirits, the thrill of killing that huge monster which happens to be some sort of demon wasn’t there and you’re just fighting a highly generic blown up version of an ettin. With reused animations from all over the game.

Raids do also have a huge cool factor from new enemies and new attacks and new magic which people left to wonder how these things are possible in the GW2 universe.
You can underplay them as “not important” but I would just need to point out how clueless that is.

TexZero.7910

You can not get all raid lore solo. The experience of a raid encounter, its animations, its enemy type the magic it’s using the way it dies or the way it phases from one thing to the next could be considered lore.

It’s highly debatable whether there’s no lore in any fight. Even Liadri, where one could argue that there’s no lore in fighting her, uses specific skills, which no other NPC or player character uses. One might speculate where it comes from and a developer might one day decide it would be a highly interesting story to tell, if they haven’t already ofcourse.

Please, let me remind you the speculation of the name of Mordremoth in the skills of subject alpha.

Ofcourse, you could argue that it’s minor. I mean it would be just as minor as finding out that Zaithan and scarlet were killed in personal story or LW1. But it’s a whole other level than being there, defeating the encounter yourself.

Sure, not alot of raiders have the class to actually care about the lore, to the point they’re shortsighted enough to say “all the lore is in the little snippets outside and inside the dialogue where you don’t experience the content yourself”

You can’t claim that raids are in any way interesting if all the adventuring of running from spirits, the thrill of killing that huge monster which happens to be some sort of demon wasn’t there and you’re just fighting a highly generic blown up version of an ettin. With reused animations from all over the game.

Raids do also have a huge cool factor from new enemies and new attacks and new magic which people left to wonder how these things are possible in the GW2 universe.
You can underplay them as “not important” but I would just need to point out how clueless that is.

Not sure if intentionally missing the point or …..

The in fight combat contains 0 lore. You can quite literally get every raid piece of lore without ever having to fight.

FrizzFreston.5290

You can get the general story that took place before you were there, but never the exact story that took place once the raid was done in itself.

Not to mention lots of the dialogue taking place in between and during encounters.

EDIT: A better argument that you can make is that even with an easy mode you would never really learn all of the story depending on what they need to cut to make it easier as well as changing the experience. Part of the story of raiding is actually completing it on the difficulty setting it is made on.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

TexZero.7910

You can get the general story that took place before you were there, but never the exact story that took place once the raid was done in itself.

Not to mention lots of the dialogue taking place in between and during encounters.

EDIT: A better argument that you can make is that even with an easy mode you would never really learn all of the story depending on what they need to cut to make it easier as well as changing the experience. Part of the story of raiding is actually completing it on the difficulty setting it is made on.

You quite literally can get every single piece of the raid lore without combat being involved at all. I feel like i’m beating a dead horse here again. The dialogue can be seen by having someone open an incomplete instance, the lore can be attained via completed ones. You’re missing nothing by not fighting except for the chance to gain items and rewards unique to raids, which again is not lore.

(edited by TexZero.7910)

FrizzFreston.5290

You quite literally can get every single piece of the raid lore without combat being involved at all. I feel like i’m beating a dead horse here again. The dialogue can be seen by having someone open an incomplete instance, the lore can be attained via completed ones. You’re missing nothing by not fighting expect for the chance to gain items and rewards unique to raids, which again is not lore.

You’re missing the point. Which might be why you’re keeping at it. So nevermind.

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

In World of Warcraft (Legion) you have 4 types of raid difficulties:
1. Looking for Raid: the easiest mode, available to all casuals. You don’t need to know bosses tactics.
2. Normal: a bit harder, still availible to random groups, you need to know bosses tactics.
3. Heroic: you need an organized group to be able to do it. Only a small percentage of players are able to do it.
4. Mythic: Hardcore only: 1% – 3% of playerbase are able to do it. Expect a lot of wiping.
Of course you get better rewards, harder the content is.

If we could get just two different types of Raids in GW2 that would be awesome: one for casuals and another one for more experienced/skilled players.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

In World of Warcraft (Legion) you have 4 types of raid difficulties:
1. Looking for Raid: the easiest mode, available to all casuals. You don’t need to know bosses tactics.
2. Normal: a bit harder, still availible to random groups, you need to know bosses tactics.
3. Heroic: you need an organized group to be able to do it. Only a small percentage of players are able to do it.
4. Mythic: Hardcore only: 1% – 3% of playerbase are able to do it. Expect a lot of wiping.
Of course you get better rewards, harder the content is.

If we could get just two different types of Raids in GW2 that would be awesome: one for casuals and another one for more experienced/skilled players.

That will never work. Raids are not the focus of this game and frankly instanced content in GW2 has never been a main driving force imo, hence why dungeons got little to no updates in the past (with its team being disbanded) such as fractals who only got development in recent times.

Your tiers of difficulty in GW2 are already there in game: it is called dungeons, fractals and raids which cover 1, 2 and 3. And from I have little experienced and have seen raids in GW2 could still be a number 2.

Posted by: MerlinGamer.7410

MerlinGamer.7410

Well here’s how I feel about it.

There are a group of players who want hard content and they have hard content and they are happy. They should get what they want and there is nothing here that needs or should be changed.
There is a section of players who want nothing to do with the raids and they aren’t forced to do the raids and they don’t care enough to have any kind of discussion about it.
Then there are players who want to raid but they’re not at the standard for it. There may be some cross over with the second group here because they came to the conclusion that raids would not be for them because of their difficulty.

For that 3rd group we’ve discusses at length the issues they have in this and other forum topics and there are 2 major points.

1. It’s impossible to get a group.
2. The difficulty of the encounters is too high.

As for point 1. If all the people who feel that way were willing to group with each other then it would be a problem solved. I’m currently in the process of gearing my character and when I have done I’m going to create a thread inviting people who feel raids are too hard because I want to either fight through it with them together. Or if there really is a place in it that’s objectively too hard then we can be a bit more specific to arena net as right now the topics have been extremely vague. However, I am not sure how successful I am going to be in that endeavour. When people say they can’t do the raids because they are too hard me saying hey come join a static with me is probably going to cause them to say, “No! Were you not listening to us??? The content is literally impossible and setting up a group isn’t going to change that. I refuse to touch it until Anet do something!”. And to be honest, if that is their position I can’t blame them…I really don’t know how we’re going to fix this but I guess all I can try to do is help the situation slightly by having a group that isn’t going to force a specific meta build and isn’t going to force hundreds upon hundreds of LI.

Raids are something I’m not convinced is good for the health of an MMO. If you google something like “Raids made me quit” you’ll see that they’ve caused problems in pretty much every mmo ever made and I’m wondering if there’s something fundamentally broken about the concept. But I’m not going to be able to be more specific about that if I’ve not really tried multiple times to enter the raid and have no idea which specific parts need pin pointing.

FrizzFreston.5290

People always complain about harder content being too hard that is not entirely optional if you want specific rewards. Especially when they are set as end tier rewards like legendary armor.

The worst thing is that that legendary armour also took years in art assets to make, art assets that could be used to create a few more armoursets for everyone who doesnt raid. When it was just a few special skins people wouldnt mind as much. But I think legendary armour which includes 3 different sets per armour per race per gender, that is a huge loss for those who dont raid.

I don’t mean to say that raiding doesnt deserve its own reward, but that one armor set in niche content takes up that much effort. That does reflect on the game. A version of legendary armour for non raiders should exist. Though that will take another 2 years if they start today.

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

Let’s create entirely different game modes so players can hear one line of dialog. Sounds like a good use of resources.

While we’re at it, can we get easy mode arah? Lore much heavier there.

MerlinGamer.7410

If raids were as hard as Arah there wouldn’t be a problem I did Arah the other day making an everyone welcome group. There was one wipe but after that everyone tried harder and we got through it fine. Its unfair that people keep conflating the two.

Raids don’t tend to have everyone welcome groups. You can make one as I have done but I don’t often see them. Far far far more common is hundreds and hundreds of LI and very very occasionally you see “training”.

People say they want challenging content then they say hundreds of kills only please. I expect they do that to try and get through it as easily as possible. Bit of a contradiction no?

Feanor.2358

Anecdotal evidence. 100% of the pugs I’ve been in failed Arah. I’ve done it with guildies, wouldn’t try it ever with pugs again.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If raids were as hard as Arah there wouldn’t be a problem

For some people Arah is also impossible to do

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Raids are something I’m not convinced is good for the health of an MMO. If you google something like “Raids made me quit” you’ll see that they’ve caused problems in pretty much every mmo ever made and I’m wondering if there’s something fundamentally broken about the concept. But I’m not going to be able to be more specific about that if I’ve not really tried multiple times to enter the raid and have no idea which specific parts need pin pointing.

There will be posts about roughly every aspect that made players quit a MMO. People just don’t write about some obscure little things. As for raids, there are myriad reasons why they indeed make people quit. I quit WoW over Blizzard’s handling of raids years ago – not because they were too hard or anything like that, but because they introduced exactly the stuff the easymode crowd is crying for. That kittened up a system that had been working perfectly for about four years.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

MerlinGamer.7410

Interesting. What exactly about an easy mode on wow was problematic for you? Could you not just ignore it completely and just run the old hard difficulty? Or was it because raids felt that they had lost their exclusivity? I’m curious because no one seems to think that fractals are a bad system

Posted by: Aira.7360

Aira.7360

This for those people who dont know what is Raid content on the game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_

FrizzFreston.5290

Anecdotal evidence. 100% of the pugs I’ve been in failed Arah. I’ve done it with guildies, wouldn’t try it ever with pugs again.

I rarely fail with PuGs. You must be doing something wrong.

TexZero.7910

Interesting. What exactly about an easy mode on wow was problematic for you? Could you not just ignore it completely and just run the old hard difficulty? Or was it because raids felt that they had lost their exclusivity? I’m curious because no one seems to think that fractals are a bad system

You know something’s wrong when….
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/52fxo1/ama_league_design_lead_greg_ghostcrawler_street/d7jwm98/

Your own design lead says he regrets the LFR system because, it in short, removed the social component of raiding.

But hey, those people who keep saying they want something social to do with friends still think that tiered and automated matching will work!

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

You know something’s wrong when….
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/52fxo1/ama_league_design_lead_greg_ghostcrawler_street/d7jwm98/

Your own design lead says he regrets the LFR system because, it in short, removed the social component of raiding.

But hey, those people who keep saying they want something social to do with friends still think that tiered and automated matching will work!

This right there. The tiered lfg difficulty system didnt only water down the raids from quality content to “content”, it completely destroyed the social aspect of it. Like it or not, those of us who got leg armor, achiev etc the only reason we are playing is for the social aspect. Getting together with guildies and clearing, then getting together with friends and others to clear again, even pugging and finding our friends on the same group, thats what a community is and the raid community of GW2 is one of the healthiest atm.

It makes raids highly replayable and fun even if they are on farm mode.

MerlinGamer.7410

I still don’t understand what about having the option to run lfr impacts your social experience. Lfr surely has far worse rewards right? If you were already doing hard mode and were getting better loot, better content, a more social experience etc why would you suddenly throw that away and lfr then quit? I just find it absurd when I see groups for fractals of all levels!

Surely the entire basis of lfr is a training mode for people to get some experience of the raiding content to then move up to the harder modes of its for people who find even very easy on a game a legitimate challenge and if they were trying to blag their way into your hard mode groups it would cause the whole everyone in my team sucks/ li fakers rage you see here

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

I still don’t understand what about having the option to run lfr impacts your social experience. Lfr surely has far worse rewards right? If you were already doing hard mode and were getting better loot, better content, a more social experience etc why would you suddenly throw that away and lfr then quit? I just find it absurd when I see groups for fractals of all levels!

Surely the entire basis of lfr is a training mode for people to get some experience of the raiding content to then move up to the harder modes of its for people who find even very easy on a game a legitimate challenge and if they were trying to blag their way into your hard mode groups it would cause the whole everyone in my team sucks/ li fakers rage you see here

Man are u in denial or something? Check the post above with the link, see what the person who CREATED the lfg finder has to say about that. Rewards dont even matter, the whole raiding community disappeared cause there was no social aspect anymore, no reason to join a guild anymore, just brainless afk “raids”. What the lfg finder did is that people stopped interacting with each other, they stopped looking for guilds, they stopped learning and getting better, they stopped doing anything that actually promoted “playing together”. Yes there is a small portion that dont use it and still do raids as guild but its a very small number of guilds that are slowly gonna disappear as well. Thats what remains of the WoW community now.

Everyone just selected difficulty and role and an automated system put em in a group. That’s what wow raiding is atm, a shell of what it was, boring and pointless. If u want the same for GW2 then i feel sorry for you.

(edited by zoomborg.9462)

TexZero.7910

Do you see anyone talk at all during fractals anymore while pugging ? I sure as heck don’t. They are one of the least social aspects of the game to do outside of PvP due to their nature unless you’re in a full guild run.

So to say that LFG and tiers is/was good for fractals is entirely debatable and if you ask the people who started doing fractals at their release and rushed to get as far as they could then maybe you’d be able to see why its a bad system. Not only is it bad for the social aspect the new system doesn’t promote learning much of anything t1-3 are a complete joke and most people just buy the AR and skip as far ahead as they can with dailies until they are in T4.

LFG is nice for casual content, it’s never been the solution for coordinated group content like raids. For that a better community finding tool is needed so that people can filter themselves into guilds that suit them and their playstyle.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Surely the entire basis of lfr is a training mode for people to get some experience of the raiding content to then move up to the harder modes

Nobody is doing T1 fractals to “train” for the higher levels. T1 fractals are being run for external rewards, research pages and precursor collections are what is keeping T1 fractals alive and active. And the extra daily recommended of course.
Before those were added to the game Fractals weren’t popular content at all, aside from the groups running T4 daily who were the actual fractal players, few others were running fractals.
Take a look at T3 which has very few people and T2 which has far less players than T1 or T4. You can’t possibly tell me that all those T1 runners are there because they are only comfortable with T1 difficulty. They are there because at T1 they can get their achievements and rewards fast enough.
There is nothing about training in Fractals, it’s quick and easy rewards pure and simple

MerlinGamer.7410

Yeah reading the ama quite a few people mentioned that when given an easier option people were dropping the hard mode and just doing easy and it caused a divide in the community. I guess that if it was something so uniform then people who enjoy the social aspects of raids must be a tiny minority although there is a big chance that a lot of that is hyperbole. There are also people in that thread who say without it they would never have raided though which again could be hyperbole because maybe they never tried harder modes.

Someone mentioned that lfr negatively trains you because you expect to be able to do hard without wiping, I’m not sure if I buy that. Yes maybe the first few times you would notice that but after a while you’re going to learn that wipes are a part of a harder difficulty as it’s a consistent theme. It’s kinda like saying people in gw2 are negatively trained because they don’t wipe on any other boss.

The ama shows me that inclusion is negative towards the in crowd but hugely beneficial to the out crowd, at least with WoW. I guess at the end of the day you have to decide which group you’re going to support

(edited by MerlinGamer.7410)

Feanor.2358

Turning quality content into yet another farm? It’s a pretty easy decision which side I am going to support.

TexZero.7910

It’s kinda like saying people in gw2 are negatively trained because they don’t wipe on any other boss.

A lot of them are.

A lot of the people who want an easy mode lack the essentials for their class knowledge and basics of group play. They don’t understand synergies and range dictation to bring up just a few things they get wrong because of the play safe/fail safe way of “Learning”.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Man are u in denial or something? Check the post above with the link, see what the person who CREATED the lfg finder has to say about that.

First, apparently the people that hired him think otherwise, because the system remained. Second, if you actually read what he said, he’s not really complaining against the general idea behind this system, or the need for it. What he’s complaining about is the way it got implemented. Also, he doesn’t really speak anything about this system being bad for the game. He just thinks that raids should be epic, and LFR ones aren’t.

Rewards dont even matter, the whole raiding community disappeared cause there was no social aspect anymore, no reason to join a guild anymore, just brainless afk “raids”.

So you say. That doesn’t make it true. A lot of the raid community disappeared due to plain burnout, that was a result of the hamster wheel-based non-lfr raid system. Many others left due to other major problems – queues, and Blizzard’s constant experiments with raid sizes (a lot of the people i know left specifically due to that last one).

What the lfg finder did is that people stopped interacting with each other, they stopped looking for guilds, they stopped learning and getting better

No, they didn’t. The conversion rate of casuals to raiders was always bad. People were leaving raid community faster than new ones were coming even before LFR. The truth is, most of the people interested with raiding were already playing WoW at that time. The market on hardcore MMO gamers was pretty much covered.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

TexZero.7910

Man are u in denial or something? Check the post above with the link, see what the person who CREATED the lfg finder has to say about that.

First, apparently the people that hired him think otherwise, because the system remained. Second, if you actually read what he said, he’s not really complaining against the general idea behind this system, or the need for it. What he’s complaining about is the way it got implemented. Also, he doesn’t really speak anything about this system being bad for the game. He just thinks that raids should be epic, and LFR ones aren’t.

Rewards dont even matter, the whole raiding community disappeared cause there was no social aspect anymore, no reason to join a guild anymore, just brainless afk “raids”.

So you say. That doesn’t make it true. A lot of the raid community disappeared due to plain burnout, that was a result of the hamster wheel-based non-lfr raid system. Many others left due to other major problems – queues, and Blizzard’s constant experiments with raid sizes (a lot of the people i know left specifically due to that last one).

What the lfg finder did is that people stopped interacting with each other, they stopped looking for guilds, they stopped learning and getting better

No, they didn’t. The conversion rate of casuals to raiders was always bad. People were leaving raid community faster than new ones were coming even before LFR. The truth is, most of the people interested with raiding were already playing WoW at that time. The market on hardcore MMO gamers was pretty much covered.

That reddit link is the tamest of his thoughts on the subject. If you want more just google Ghostcrawler and LFR. Most of his responses about even the concept are not good.