Do people still hate/avoid RANGER and THIEF?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

yeah that too, now that they’re nerfing Pets for PvP, they better the hell give our melee attacks some stuff that synergizes a lot better right next to our pets like our builds in GW1. …“Oh, is that unkillable Rit boss permadazed now b/c i got a combo chain that’s broken in a GOOD way?? … yeah I think SO!” …man I miss the old bars…

My DPS and CC is Kiiiiitttten in this game… There’s no way in heck I’m bringing this overnerfed veterinarian into a COE or Arah unless it was on a Bet.

Go read jubskies guide and learn. My ranger does tons of damage so you’re doing it wrong.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

..my scientifically accurate assessment is that the ranger class attracts the worst players in the game, period.

Um no, Thieves do. Not only do they possess all the bad qualities one may sometime associate with rangers, they are also very kitten kitteny.

[PLUM] – SOR

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

..my scientifically accurate assessment is that the ranger class attracts the worst players in the game, period.

Um no, Thieves do. Not only do they possess all the bad qualities one may sometime associate with rangers, they are also very kitten kitteny.

GUYS I GOT THIS!!! SHORTBOW 1 WHOLE DUNGEON!

kitten thief op!

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Morbyd.3761

Morbyd.3761

Wow. I hope that terrible thief isn’t me.

[Yay]

(edited by Morbyd.3761)

Jzl.8715

Basically what I’m trying to say when i say kitten kitteny is “overly confident and self-assertive”, don’t mistaken it as something truly nasty, just throwing this out there. Man this forum is harsh

[PLUM] – SOR

Jzl.8715

kitten thief op!

In my defense, I feel no remorse when there is a guardian even further behind throwing wiggly projectiles.

[PLUM] – SOR

Posted by: Morbyd.3761

Morbyd.3761

Basically what I’m trying to say when i say kitten kitteny is “overly confident and self-assertive”, don’t mistaken it as something truly nasty, just throwing this out there. Man this forum is harsh

I get ya. Just saying that i hope the gripes about dungeon thieves i see so much of, aren’t me.

[Yay]

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

yeah that too, now that they’re nerfing Pets for PvP, they better the hell give our melee attacks some stuff that synergizes a lot better right next to our pets like our builds in GW1. …“Oh, is that unkillable Rit boss permadazed now b/c i got a combo chain that’s broken in a GOOD way?? … yeah I think SO!” …man I miss the old bars…

My DPS and CC is Kiiiiitttten in this game… There’s no way in heck I’m bringing this overnerfed veterinarian into a COE or Arah unless it was on a Bet.

Go read jubskies guide and learn. My ranger does tons of damage so you’re doing it wrong.

How much is “tons”?

img_50K_HB.jpg

Retired. Too many casuals.

(edited by Broadicea.8294)

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

you’re not very experience on this whole concept of ‘helping’, are you??
Are you even that experienced with Ranger? Do you have video? A Dungeon Master break-down on it? … during which years did you play it in GW1? Do you even know how to read instructions in order to hyperlink? Where’s your actual credentials on any of this??

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Your group should be grouping up mobs and cleaving them. Rangers have single target dps which adds little value in that scenario which consists of half or more of a dungeon.

Thats so wrong…
Piercing shots trait is the most important ranger trait, bar none.

also longbow 5, greatsword 1 2 3.
I wont comment on other ranger weapons because I havent used them in a long time.

My ranger does excellent aoe damage. I prefer when mobs get clumped up. All those numbers from a quickening zephyr + rapid fire through a crowd… so nice.

Not only that but drake cleaves, sword cleaves, greatsword cleaves, axe cleaves, torch is aoe, offhand axe cleaves AND reflects at the same time. What in the kitten is obal talking about?

I’ve already explained this. About 95% of rangers I’ve gone in dungeon with from pugging or a friend brings a friend/guildy use nothing but a bow.

Even if they used the piercing trait why would you range a mob that’s grouped up? The damage is poor and it still doesn’t cleave and will hit less enemies than someone meleeing. Even if they were to use an underwhelming melee/cleave weapon they are an underwhelming class compared to the rest. Their utility value is among the lowest and their dps is nothing to defend compared to other classes with the same spec. They specialize in nothing and offer nothing to the group other than healing fields and the pet can help res if it’s not dead which no one should need since rallying off good dps is far better for reviving and everyone can heal themselves. If you want to melee go try playing a berserker warrior and see the difference in dps and utility or really any other useful class. I can’t help that there is a large imbalance in pve, but Rangers fall at the bottom and it’s the truth at this point in the game.

(edited by obal.3218)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Here is one of those builts, damage delivery from a safe distance, courtesy of Eugene the Ranger.

That can’t be a serious video…

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

It’s Satire.
Awww yeah.

swiftpaw.6397

kitten thief op!

In my defense, I feel no remorse when there is a guardian even further behind throwing wiggly projectiles.

heheheh the dirty mind in me has awakened.

swiftpaw.6397

Your group should be grouping up mobs and cleaving them. Rangers have single target dps which adds little value in that scenario which consists of half or more of a dungeon.

Thats so wrong…
Piercing shots trait is the most important ranger trait, bar none.

also longbow 5, greatsword 1 2 3.
I wont comment on other ranger weapons because I havent used them in a long time.

My ranger does excellent aoe damage. I prefer when mobs get clumped up. All those numbers from a quickening zephyr + rapid fire through a crowd… so nice.

Not only that but drake cleaves, sword cleaves, greatsword cleaves, axe cleaves, torch is aoe, offhand axe cleaves AND reflects at the same time. What in the kitten is obal talking about?

I’ve already explained this. About 95% of rangers I’ve gone in dungeon with from pugging or a friend brings a friend/guildy use nothing but a bow.

Even if they used the piercing trait why would you range a mob that’s grouped up? The damage is poor and it still doesn’t cleave and will hit less enemies than someone meleeing. Even if they were to use an underwhelming melee/cleave weapon they are an underwhelming class compared to the rest. Their utility value is among the lowest and their dps is nothing to defend compared to other classes with the same spec. They specialize in nothing and offer nothing to the group other than healing fields and the pet can help res if it’s not dead which no one should need since rallying off good dps is far better for reviving and everyone can heal themselves. If you want to melee go try playing a berserker warrior and see the difference in dps and utility or really any other useful class. I can’t help that there is a large imbalance in pve, but Rangers fall at the bottom and it’s the truth at this point in the game.

I’m not in disagreement to your overall sentiment Obal. But, as for the why would you range attack when they are grouped up with piercing arrows? Full glass cannon ranger can do up to 15k shots, (usually it ranges from around 9k-15k) with Rapid fire x10 which is made into aoe, add into that, the vulnerability from opening strike + Hunters shot (+15 stack vulnerability aoe), it’s not bad compared to the other abysmal options you have as a ranger. I tend to hit more mobs with piercing arrows on LB than I do with Greatsword as long as I line em up correctly. I think LB is fine pairing with a melee weapon for dungeons, so long as you get Rapid fire, barrage and Hunter’s shot off then gtfo that weapon and back to business with your melee option. Btw quickness got a nerf, QZ is depressing and quickness on pet swap is not even worth traiting anymore so you’re really pushing it.

And yes, ranger dps in melee is such a joke compared to the other classes it’s depressing. I love the class, it’s fun, and I spent 600+ hours trying to make it work in dungeons, but you just can’t talk around the fact that you can do so much more for your team on any other class. It’s just acceptable, a fill in and nothing more, even if you work yourself to the bone, and mediocre and downright awful if you are a poor player bipping away in the back with your bear pet and shortbow (majority of pugs). Your strongest point utility wise is aoe immobilizes and cripples and a healing/water field. And most teams don’t need that. Nice to have.. but not needed.

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

easy way to improve ranger dungeon viability;
pet with projectile reflect (reef drake has it underwater; but nothing has it on land)
“/

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: ArckmngK.5172

ArckmngK.5172

That way, you can know why ppl hate ranger and thief in their team.
for example, in AC p1 burrow part. those two class are basically useless.

Not actually true, both are actually quite good at protecting Hodgins. Both are naturally fast, and can put down enough AoE to pick up mobs, and have enough dodges and evasion not to die doing that. I would say they are better than a lot of classes at this job as it really isn’t about Tanking. They are less useful on Burrows.

I regularly did this job on my Ranger as many Guardians have issues on it. I know I don’t particularly like doing it on my Guard.

I think you never stay at mid, right?
If your teammate cant destroy burrows fast, simply cripple a few mobs wont make a different at all.
If you wanna destroy burrows fast, you need to MELEE. So, a warrior with PPT is more useful than a ranger with PPC.
At least get a warrior,would you?

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

That way, you can know why ppl hate ranger and thief in their team.
for example, in AC p1 burrow part. those two class are basically useless.

Not actually true, both are actually quite good at protecting Hodgins. Both are naturally fast, and can put down enough AoE to pick up mobs, and have enough dodges and evasion not to die doing that. I would say they are better than a lot of classes at this job as it really isn’t about Tanking. They are less useful on Burrows.

I regularly did this job on my Ranger as many Guardians have issues on it. I know I don’t particularly like doing it on my Guard.

I think you never stay at mid, right?
If your teammate cant destroy burrows fast, simply cripple a few mobs wont make a different at all.
If you wanna destroy burrows fast, you need to MELEE. So, a warrior with PPT is more useful than a ranger with PPC.
At least get a warrior,would you?

I have a Warrior, but defending Hodgins is not about Burrow Destroying it’s about Kiting and picking up agro, which a Ranger can do fine.

And yes, I generally always end up mid, people can understand HIT THINGS, DO DAMAGE.. far better than they understand, keep moving, pick up agro, keep away from Hodgins. You get kind of annoyed when you fail for the 3rd time because a Warrior is sitting on Hodgins with his GS out 100B and getting chain knocked down while the enemy cleave the person your trying to save. Warriors and Guardians are just not really as well set up for this job as some other classes, I’m not saying they can’t do it, I’ve done it on both my Warrior and my Guardian, but they don’t compare to an Engineer doing this job, which can move fast, dodge regularly, and can AoE behind him as he does so, to pick up agro. Rangers and Thieves are probably just behind the Engi at this job for similar reasons, they can keep damage on the mobs with Traps, Shortbow AoEs while moving all the time. Eles are not bad at it either, but why would you have an Ele doing the job when they could be taking down burrows with conjured weapons.

Seeing as you can’t crit burrows what does PPT and PPC have to do with the price of beer? Yes, a Warrior will do better at killing burrows as they have higher base damage. but a Ranger can do fairly OK melee damage with a pet attacking the burrow at the same time, and even cleaves with it’s sword. If we are talking about Rangers that don’t melee I can totally see your point.

But my comment wasn’t even about burrow killing, which they a mediocre at best against, it’s about defending Hodgins which I would say they are good at..

(edited by Ratty.5176)