Do you think Raids in GW2 were a bad idea?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

@Ohoni You’re right that Anet could and has the capability to put legendary armor into other content as well. They also could make every player have dev commands to summon as much materials as we want to whenever we want to. It’s safe to assume they will never do such a thing.

Anet decided that raids are the price to pay to get legendary armor. As time goes on the price will drop since more and more people will get the place on farm.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

@Ohoni You’re right that Anet could and has the capability to put legendary armor into other content as well. They also could make every player have dev commands to summon as much materials as we want to whenever we want to. It’s safe to assume they will never do such a thing.

Yes, and I’m not suggesting they should. Everything in moderation.

My point is, things are not the way they are because they MUST be that way. Everything is open to change. Sometimes a man must go to the mountain, but other times, it IS possible to bring the mountain to him, because the game is not bound to ironclad laws of physics and spacetime.

So no, players should not be able to use console commands to summon Legendary armor, it should take effort to earn it, but there’s no reason why that effort MUST take place inside a raid. There is no advantage to that. The developers can change that rule, and I hope that they do.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

Yes, and I’m not suggesting they should. Everything in moderation.

My point is, things are not the way they are because they MUST be that way. Everything is open to change. Sometimes a man must go to the mountain, but other times, it IS possible to bring the mountain to him, because the game is not bound to ironclad laws of physics and spacetime.

So no, players should not be able to use console commands to summon Legendary armor, it should take effort to earn it, but there’s no reason why that effort MUST take place inside a raid. There is no advantage to that. The developers can change that rule, and I hope that they do.

I feel like I’m repeating myself here. That’s how they created value to the legendary armor. There’s the advantage. You want it to get value some other way and I understand that but this works and there’s no reason to change it. You can acquire the value needed from other content via gold which you can turn into legendary armor by paying raiders the clears.

Ohoni.6057

I feel like I’m repeating myself here. That’s how they created value to the legendary armor. There’s the advantage.

Maintaining the status quo is no advantage.

You want it to get value some other way and I understand that but this works and there’s no reason to change it.

It works for some, it doesn’t work for others. The reason to change it is to make it work for more people.

You can acquire the value needed from other content via gold which you can turn into legendary armor by paying raiders the clears.

Which I’m sure the raiders would love, works out very well for them since they get both my money and their own rewards from the raid, but it isn’t exactly fair to me, now is it? I would prefer an alternative in which I can do something I enjoy and get the armor directly from the game as a reward, rather than just buying it off some other player.

Again, we have GOT to lose this sense of false entitlement that raiders are somehow deserving of exclusive rewards, and of having other players pay them for access to those rewards.

done by now.”

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Which I’m sure the raiders would love, works out very well for them since they get both my money and their own rewards from the raid, but it isn’t exactly fair to me, now is it?

Perfectly fair. You aren’t willing to spend your time or effort to complete the challenges to acquire legendary armor. They are. They are willing to develop their gear and skill to tackle these challenges, and you aren’t. By paying them for your run, you are bypassing this need to obtain gear and skill.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Ohoni.6057

Perfectly fair. You aren’t willing to spend your time or effort to complete the challenges to acquire legendary armor. They are.

That’s a bit disingenuous though. “they’re willing to do the hard work that I’m not,” that implies that the burden would be the same on both of us. But these are people who claim to LIKE raids, for whom this would be FUN, a GAME! So boo hoo, they have to trudge through their very favorite part of the game, the struggle is real.

But for me, there’s very little I could enjoy less than going through the raids, so it is a far worse experience for me than it would ever be for them, and if it isn’t, then what the hell are they doing there? Why would anyone do something they genuinely do not enjoy? Why should they?

So all I’m asking for is to be able to do an activity that I would enjoy as much as those raiders enjoy raiding, that would be fair.

By paying them for your run, you are bypassing this need to obtain gear and skill.

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, I could instead play some sort of “easier” version of the raid, that does not require the same degree of gear or skill.

That would be better, all around.

done by now.”

(edited by Ohoni.6057)

Posted by: Manthas.6234

Manthas.6234

For those asking for the current legendary armor to be made more accessible, ANet will not be doing that (I can say this safely).

You say that like Anet had never changed their policy before.

Sarrs.4831

That’s a bit disingenuous though. “they’re willing to do the hard work that I’m not,” that implies that the burden would be the same on both of us. But these are people who claim to LIKE raids, for whom this would be FUN, a GAME! So boo hoo, they have to trudge through their very favorite part of the game, the struggle is real.

There are people who enjoy cooking. Would you expect them to cook for you for free, if you asked it of them?
There are people who enjoy fixing cars. Would you expect them to fix your car for free, if you asked it of them?
There are people who enjoy all sorts of things and enjoy payment for providing those services for others. Raids are no different.

But for me, there’s very little I could enjoy less than going through the raids, so it is a far worse experience for me than it would ever be for them, and if it isn’t, then what the hell are they doing there? Why would anyone do something they genuinely do not enjoy? Why should they?

That is irrelevant. They are providing a service for you. They are still saving you the time and effort of forming or joining a raid group, getting the gear and skills required, and learning the fights. If that is not a service you are interested in, do not purchase it.

You keep saying “different strokes for different folks” in as many words; if these are not your strokes, then don’t do it. You don’t need gear from raids unless you’re after Viper’s accessories which is something that everybody already agrees with being released to open world content.

So all I’m asking for is to be able to do an activity that I would enjoy as much as those raiders enjoy raiding, that would be fair.

Which there are. Every single piece of content in the game other than Forsaken Thicket is not a raid, and it’s free for you to enjoy.

If you are thinking that raiders are enjoying the game at a level higher than anything you could possibly experience in the current or past game… Then frankly I’m not sure why you were here in the first place, if you call GW2 a ‘casual’ game.

I’m also curious how you tell how much raiders are enjoying the content. Do you have some kind of fun thermometer? Funmometer? They are enjoying the content because it is exactly something that GW2 did not offer prior and by all accounts you would never enjoy.

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, I could instead play some sort of “easier” version of the raid, that does not require the same degree of gear or skill.

It’s not better for the people whose enjoyment would be cut by needing to run through an easy mode, diminishing the impact of the content, before they could tackle the hard mode.
It’s not better for the raiders who enjoy being able to sell runs to other people.
It’s not better for specific time tuning for rewards because it increases the speed at which you can get this stuff by 33%.

You can keep saying it’s better for you, that’s fine. But if you’re calling for empathy it’s hard to give it to you when you don’t show any by making absolute statements about what’s better for everyone.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

For those asking for the current legendary armor to be made more accessible, ANet will not be doing that (I can say this safely). The Forsaken Thicket legendary armor is a big component of encouraging players to get better at the game and tackle raids, and ANet recognizes that.

So, they acknowledge that without it Raids would not have enough sustainability?

Also, they tried to “encourage people to play better” more than once in the game history. The players are still the same. It’s just there’s now way less of them.

That would be like making the PvP back piece legendary more accessible to PvP players who can’t progress past Emerald, which they simply won’t do in order to encourage devotion to the game mode.

Technically, you can get it without progressing past Emerald. It would just take you 2 and a half years.

Also, Raids are not like sPvP league. They are completely binary here – either you do all wings or you don’t get the armor. There’s no 50% effort getting you to goal slower. That would be like PvP backpack requiring progressing to Legendary Division. Which, curiously, it doesn’t.

If anything the unreasonable request being made is for Anet to 180 at the behest of a very vocal minority of players

Just as a very vocal minority making a request for Anet to do a 180 by bringing Raids in this game was unreasonable then?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Sarrs.4831

So, they acknowledge that without it Raids would not have enough sustainability?

That’s not a fair conclusion to what was said. It’s something to encourage people to get better- that doesn’t mean that it isn’t something that’s already enough to encourage people to get better.

Also, they tried to “encourage people to play better” more than once in the game history. The players are still the same. It’s just there’s now way less of them.

Players leaving the game cannot be fairly attributed to raids being added
Players staying in the game can be attributed to raids being added; like Rising Dusk said it’s contributing to player retention, it’s completely contradictory to all the information we’re seeing to say player losses are because of raids

Technically, you can get it without progressing past Emerald. It would just take you 2 and a half years.

That’s impossible to say seeing as they haven’t published their plans for post-season wing earning.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Raids are not a bad idea.

Not having difficulty settings was a bad idea.

Locking legendary armor specifically behind raids is a bad idea. There is not any valid reason why different sets of legendary armor and weapons and back pieces can’t be offered through wvw/eotm and spvp and open world and dungeons and fractals…

I’d much prefer being able to craft generic looking stat swapping gear and have different legendary skins attainable through different modes.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

LOL, so far I have read several people mention paying for a Raid completion.

Never gonna happen.

I’ll quit this game long before I’ll pay some stranger to carry me through it.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Ohoni.6057

There are people who enjoy cooking. Would you expect them to cook for you for free, if you asked it of them?
There are people who enjoy fixing cars. Would you expect them to fix your car for free, if you asked it of them?
There are people who enjoy all sorts of things and enjoy payment for providing those services for others. Raids are no different.

I don’t expect anyone to offer me services for free that they do not want, but THIS IS NOT A JOB, it is a game, and people are meant to be having fun in it. If people enjoy raiding, and are raiding, then that doesn’t make them inherently more deserving of things than people who enjoy kegbrawling and are kegbrawling.

I’m not asking that raiders carry me through raids for free, I’m not asking to take any time out of their oh so busy schedules, I don’t want that at all. What I am asking for is an improvement to the game that would allow me to play a mode that I would enjoy as much as they enjoy raiding, and provide the same rewards that they get out of the mode that they enjoy. You may not agree, but it’s not like I am being unclear about what I am requesting here.

You keep saying “different strokes for different folks” in as many words; if these are not your strokes, then don’t do it.

but again, we’re right back into the old GW2 raiding circle kitten conversation:

“I would like to earn Legendary armor” ->
“Well then raid for it” ->
“But I do not enjoy raiding, it would be a horrible experience for me” ->
“Then you don’t get Legendary armor, ever, no matter how much other stuff you play”->
“but I would like to earn Legendary armor”->
“then raid for it” ->
etc., etc., etc.

Why can we not head that one off at the pass, and any time you’re tempted to introduce one of those little chestnuts of uselessness, you just. . . don’t?

You don’t need gear from raids unless you’re after Viper’s accessories which is something that everybody already agrees with being released to open world content.

Again, it’s a game, everything is subjective. You seem to believe that players can have a valid “need” to have Viper’s gear, presumably because it offers a marginal stat boost over alternatives and you put great personal value in that. You believe that it would be fair to insist on alternative methods of earning those. You do not believe that players can have a valid “need” for an armor skin, presumably because you do not value a player’s ability to control his cosmetic appearance as highly as you value his stats.

I don’t expect empathy from you, I don’t expect you to truly inhabit a different person’s shoes and attempt to view the world through their perspective, but at the very least, assume that there are in fact people in this game world with you, people who have as much right to be there and to be happy as you do, that put their value MORE in “cosmetics” than they do into “stats,” and that however it is that you feel about Viper gear availability, they feel all that and more about exclusive skin availability. Again, you don’t have to truly understand how or why this could happen, just accept that it does happen.

Which there are. Every single piece of content in the game other than Forsaken Thicket is not a raid, and it’s free for you to enjoy.

But that’s another rung on the circle kitten.

“Well you can do [alternate content] instead.” ->
“But [alternate content] doesn’t provide any path towards Legendary armor” ->
“Yeah, so you won’t get Legendary armor.” ->
“But I want Legendary armor, could [alternate content] provide it too?” ->
“No, only raids” ->
“Why?” ->
“Because that’s how WoW did it.”->
“But GW2 breaks from WoW tradition in so many other ways. . .”->
“Not raids, raids are sacred to the WoWite tradition, they MUST contain exclusive armor or the gods shall be displeased.”->
etc. etc. etc.

We’ve been through all this before, you already know my answers.

I’m also curious how you tell how much raiders are enjoying the content. Do you have some kind of fun thermometer? Funmometer? They are enjoying the content because it is exactly something that GW2 did not offer prior and by all accounts you would never enjoy.

I’m not saying that Raiders are enjoying raids more than I’m enjoying the rest of the game, I’m saying that they are enjoying raids way more than I enjoy raids, either that or they have a VERY serious problem. And I assume I am enjoying other parts of the game as much as they enjoy raids, but the thing they enjoy rewards Legendary armor, and the things I enjoy don’t, even if I do my thing considerably more. That’s a problem to me, that the thing they enjoy doing rewards an extra special reward that I can’t get, while none of the things I could enjoy offer that reward.

It’s not better for the people whose enjoyment would be cut by needing to run through an easy mode,

Good news!

Those people do not exist.

There would be exactly zero people who would have to run through easy mode, it would be entirely for those who didn’t want to run through hard mode. People who prefer hard mode can continue to run through hard mode, completely untouched.

And since easy mode would presumably launch well after hard mode, anyone who was going to tackle hard mode “blind” will have had plenty of time to do so.

It’s not better for the raiders who enjoy being able to sell runs to other people.

Yeah, boo kitten hoo on that one. Crocodile tears over here. I can barely read the screen.

It’s not better for specific time tuning for rewards because it increases the speed at which you can get this stuff by 33%.

You mean that by running both hard and easy mode to lock-out you could max the cap quicker than just hard alone? Perhaps, but they could find ways of balancing that. Perhaps the two tracks would be incompatible, so that you could progress one or the other or both if you really wanted, but you’d have to 100% each separately, getting 50% in one and 85% in the other would not equal one 100%. Personally though I don’t see a huge problem with them speeding the process up a bit if you’re doing more work to do it. It would give raiders an additional thing to do in the week if they felt like it. No harm there.

You can keep saying it’s better for you, that’s fine. But if you’re calling for empathy it’s hard to give it to you when you don’t show any by making absolute statements about what’s better for everyone.

I’m not saying it would be better for each and every person. Any change is likely to make someone’s life subjectively worse in some way. I mean I’m sure them putting rabbit ears back in over Easter was a travesty for people who’d already had them and felt like special snowflakes. My point though is that it would help far more players than it would harm, and the ways in which it would help people would be far more positive than the ways it would harm anyone.

For example, yeah, it would harm the people selling runs (although not entirely because there would still be yahoos willing to buy hard mode clears just to do it), but for each person selling runs that gets harmed by this, dozens of players would benefit by NOT having to buy runs (assuming at least one customer per week over multiple weeks). And on top of that, it would benefit an uncountable number of other player who aren’t buying runs, but might want to and can’t justify the expense, or that would need to but can’t conscience doing so. So by any reasonable measure, far more players would benefit in that closed system than would be harmed by the change, and those harmed were on the shady side of the situation anyways, like crying that reducing crime in a neighborhood would put too many drug dealers out of business.

done by now.”

(edited by Ohoni.6057)

Sarrs.4831

Never gonna happen.

That’s not a problem- and frankly it’s a pretty far tangent. That runs are bought and sold is only a good sign. That people are capable and willing to sell runs means that the content is tuned with wriggle room. That people are capable and willing to buy runs means that the rewards are accurately tuned.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Astralporing.1957

That people are capable and willing to buy runs means that the rewards are accurately tuned.

No. It just means that some people have way more wealth in game than others. At this moment price of buying full unlock for collection is so high that the group of people capable and willing to pay it is likely even more exclusive than the group of people that are raiding.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Sarrs.4831

At this moment price of buying full unlock for collection is so high that the group of people capable and willing to pay it is likely even more exclusive than the group of people that are raiding.

Which will go down as more people become comfortable enough with the content to sell runs.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

STIHL.2489

Never gonna happen.

That’s not a problem- and frankly it’s a pretty far tangent. That runs are bought and sold is only a good sign. That people are capable and willing to sell runs means that the content is tuned with wriggle room. That people are capable and willing to buy runs means that the rewards are accurately tuned.

We shall disagree.

All I see is the same people that made a huge deal against “easy mode” because it would devalue the achievement, are the same people willing to sell that achievement, it makes you look like panhandlers fighting for your market share as opposed players looking for challenge and prestige.

And I don’t think there is single thing you can say to change that image.

So moving on.

Have you played DDO yet?

Sarrs.4831

So moving on.

Have you played DDO yet?

Now now, we can’t rush these things, you have to let me savor it.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

STIHL.2489

No. It just means that some people have way more wealth in game than others. At this moment price of buying full unlock for collection is so high that the group of people capable and willing to pay it is likely even more exclusive than the group of people that are raiding.

Good point, and for me, The key word here is “willing

I believe that the bulk of the GW2 community is made up Players like myself, people who are here to have fun and play a game, not pay others to play it for me.

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

I really think that more dungeons and fractals is far superior to easy mode raids. What are the counter arguments against them again? That it’s not the exact same content as raids? That seems like a ridiculous argument to me, as most content in this game is at a single difficultly level.

But again, some content, including the fractals you seem to like, do come in multiple difficulties. I think multiple difficulties are good, because it lets players experience the content, even if the mechanics of the hardest version are too stressful for them.

Not to mention that new dungeons and fractals would take considerably more time and effort to produce than what I’m suggesting here, meaning more time and effort removed from other parts of the game.

Just to be clear here since I asked for counter arguments. Yours are 1) Some content, like fractals, has difficulty levels. That’s good, since it lets players experience the content. 2) Dungeons and Fractals take longer to produce or would take developer resources away from other parts of the game.

Regarding 1 – Yes, fractals has difficulty levels, but, again, most content in this game is at a single difficultly level. That includes world bosses ranging from fire elemental to triple trouble, and dungeons ranging from cof to arah. Fractals was also designed with difficulty levels in mind, while other content in this game was not. Rather, you play content at your current difficulty level. For example, if you can’t handle arah, then you play cof instead. Similarly, if you can’t handle raids, you should dungeons or fractals instead (or, stick to the easier raid bosses).

Regarding “experiencing the content”- I’m not sure what you mean by this. The whole point of raids is to overcome various mechanics to beat the boss. And there is nothing stopping you from entering the raid right now to see what the bosses are like.

Regarding 2 – Lets put aside that there’s a team working on fractals. Let’s put aside that there’s a team working on raids. Lets pretend that we have a couple of developers, and we can assign them to work on easy mode raids, or dungeons/fractals. Dungeons/fractals is the superior choice, because:
- For people who do raid, it’s different content. It really wouldn’t be that fun to complete an easy mode and regular mode raid in the same week. I’m sure most of us would prefer something different (and something on a daily reset, to boot).
- For easy mode raiders, you still need to get 9 other people to organize with you. I don’t think this barrier is too high (given the difficulty you’re asking for) but it’s still three.

So we have a win (easy mode raids) – lose (no new content) or a win (easier content) – win (different content) situation. I’ll choose the win-win.

Regarding legendary armor – I’m guiltily glad that the discussion moved in this direction, because I think it’s the “true” reason people want an easy mode. I also think it’s the weakest argument.

This is a multiplayer RPG. Some rewards are going to be harder to get than others. Some rewards are going to be out of your reach. This has to be the case, otherwise players would have nothing to aim for. If you want to play a game where you can get any/all rewards at a difficulty you choose, play a single player game and use whatever console commands you want.

I think you’re getting hung up on the word “need,” saying that since this is a game, you don’t “need” to do anything. True. But we’re using “need” in the sense that, you don’t need legendary armor to complete any content in this game. It is not required or even really advantageous for any encounter. So you can do the entire game and not once feel the loss of legendary armor.

And the fact is, legendaries have anyways been gated behind certain content. For weapons, it’s mainly pve. For backpieces, it’s pvp (and eventually fractals). For armor it’s raids.

I know the you’ll say: but weapons felt different, I was already half way there by doing the content I liked. How is this different from the current situation? Some people hate map completion and open world. Others hate raids. So they just won’t get the reward. No big deal.

I’ll also note that the new legendary weapons and backpieces are even more restrictive in their acquisition, since it’s much harder to buy those. You can buy raid runs or the old legendary weapons. And don’t tell me raiders don’t deserve to sell runs, when the weapon precursors were essentially a random drop.

(edited by Absurdo.8309)

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

I’m very saddened by how toxic the gw2 community has come, or maybe its just that the salt seems to move only to the forums. Ironically the toxicity is coming from the people who complain about “elitists” more than its from elitists. I really wish people could just get along but a lot of people here seem to have nothing better to do but whine and be entitle to rewards that they don’t want to actually earn. You are devaluing the experience not just for raiders, but for those that buy them as well.

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

I’m very saddened by how toxic the gw2 community has come, or maybe its just that the salt seems to move only to the forums. Ironically the toxicity is coming from the people who complain about “elitists” more than its from elitists. I really wish people could just get along but a lot of people here seem to have nothing better to do but whine and be entitle to rewards that they don’t want to actually earn. You are devaluing the experience not just for raiders, but for those that buy them as well.

So what exactly is wrong in complaining about game what turned into entirely different direction instead of one that was promised? They already made wonderful hardcore raiding game, Wildstar, and when it flopped miserably, they decided to bring same thing to GW2, spitting on their own manifesto.
And now you asking why people are not happy with new Anet policy about catering minority of PvE-rs? Maybe you missed how well such thing worked on PvP side of game?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

randomguy.1283

So what exactly is wrong in complaining about game what turned into entirely different direction instead of one that was promised? They already made wonderful hardcore raiding game, Wildstar, and when it flopped miserably, they decided to bring same thing to GW2, spitting on their own manifesto.
And now you asking why people are not happy with new Anet policy about catering minority of PvE-rs? Maybe you missed how well such thing worked on PvP side of game?

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You are complaining even though anet didn’t take away ANY CONTENT FROM YOU. Yet you’re still complaining about content being added for other people. You have no reason to take away the content for other people, the ONLY reason you have for taking away this content is just so you can be a toxic kitten to people.

This is exactly what I’m talking about when I say you’re toxic, you’re only suggestion is to remove content that other people enjoy just because they like different things than you. Please, for the sake of moral decency, stop.

This is why people call the forums salty, this is why people don’t browse the forums anymore.

This is the reason why a lot of players have left this game, this community used to be one of the best but is now just full of upset people angry about everything (for many legitimate reasons, sure). More people have left the game because of attitudes like this than because of raids, I’m sure.

(edited by randomguy.1283)

randomguy.1283

I’m sick of reading this post just filled with nothing but hate for raids and raiders, who seem to want nothing other than to ruin our experience in this game because it is somehow less valid than everyone else’s.
Ohoni only wants to devalue our rewards in order to give those rewards to others, but most people here seem to want to completely remove everything in this game we enjoy for no other reason than we enjoy it.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

@ramdomguy no need to be over dramatic. I support raids but I will likely not be a part of it. I will maybe start caring for legendary gear once they reveal how they look like. Still I agree with you, some casuals are too toxic: they may not like raids being introduced but in the other hand they can’t deny the fact that nothing has been removed from their ideal casual experience (and I include myself in this demographic of casual player). Furthermore I still feel like their logic is deceiving and that they are using raids as a scapegoat: I feel like repeating myself, great combat system and powerful classes deserve great encounters and exclusive rewards tied to them. And it is pretty much acceptable since you can casually play and get the best stats

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

The raids are a much more complex, inherently elitist, and easier to implode undertaking.

I honestly think that’s the point. Raids where specifically billed as Hard content.

Think of it this way, if raids didn’t exist all those elitist twits would still be running around in your fractals and dungeons.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

To be honest I could not care less about your enjoyment, and you should not care for mine, randomguy. Raids are a reality in GW2, I already had to swallow that toad. And with the selling of raids, Ohoni does not need to devalue the rewards, that is something that already the seller does then.

So what are you suggesting to do?
Giving up and admitting that raids took over GW2 for now, stop playing and look for another game when I don´t want to be fed with morsels? Vote with the feet so to say? Or stay a little bit longer and wait for ls?
Please keep in mind if you are so kind to answer me that I am neither interested in learning or buying raids and I already know that old content is old and still there.

randomguy.1283

To be honest I could not care less about your enjoyment, and you should not care for mine, randomguy. Raids are a reality in GW2, I already had to swallow that toad. And with the selling of raids, Ohoni does not need to devalue the rewards, that is something that already the seller does then.

Giving up and admitting that raids took over GW2 for now, stop playing and look for another game when I don´t want to be fed with morsels? Vote with the feet so to say? Or stay a little bit longer and wait for ls?
Please keep in mind if you are so kind to answer me that I am neither interested in learning or buying raids and I already know that old content is old and still there.

“To be honest I could not care less about your enjoyment” Well thanks.

(edited by randomguy.1283)

Rednik.3809

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You are complaining even though anet didn’t take away ANY CONTENT FROM YOU. Yet you’re still complaining about content being added for other people. You have no reason to take away the content for other people, the ONLY reason you have for taking away this content is just so you can be a toxic kitten to people.

Yes, they just starting making content for very specific group of people instead of making it for everyone. There would be like no complains at all if Anet added raids as side activity, along with other content. But guess what? They focused on it instead and even thrown whole exclusive CLASS of items behind it (show me other ways to get legendary armor, I dare you).
inb4: “Why you refusing to raid and enjoy raiding in game what was not made as raiding game”.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

randomguy.1283

Yes, they just starting making content for very specific group of people instead of making it for everyone. There would be like no complains at all if Anet added raids as side activity, along with other content. But guess what? They focused on it instead and even thrown whole exclusive CLASS of items behind it (show me other ways to get legendary armor, I dare you).
inb4: “Why you refusing to raid and enjoy raiding in game what was not made as raiding game”.

All of this is factually incorrect. As stated a billion times before in this thread, the raid team is made of 5 devs, there are over 100 devs. If you aren’t going to argue in good faith I’m just going to waste my time.
“there would be like no complains at all if Anet added raids as side activity” They ARE a side activity…

Rednik.3809

All of this is factually incorrect. As stated a billion times before in this thread, the raid team is made of 5 devs, there are over 100 devs. If you aren’t going to argue in good faith I’m just going to waste my time.
“there would be like no complains at all if Anet added raids as side activity” They ARE a side activity…

I don’t care how much devs making anything, and I should not care. All I care is outcome, and current outcome not supporting your claim at all. Where is 95% of new content then, from remained 95 devs? Deleted? Hidden?

25 charracters

randomguy.1283

I don’t care how much devs making anything, and I should not care. All I care is outcome, and current outcome not supporting your claim at all. Where is 95% of new content then, from remained 95 devs? Deleted? Hidden?

This isn’t a question for me, this is a question for anet. Do I know why 95% of the devs at anet seem incompetent? no. You and me both wish they would be putting other stuff out, but they just seem to not be for whatever reason.
Your anger is directed at raids but what I am saying is that you are pointing the blame at the wrong place. You should be pointing the blame at the 95% of devs that can’t seem to do anything for the last 6 months.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

“So what are you suggesting to do? stop playing and look for another game when I don´t want to be fed with morsels?” Yes, go somewhere else, please, you bring nothing but toxicity to this game just based on that first line.
And thanks for proving my point that you are toxic…

If you quote me, have at least the decency to quote me in full as I also stated that you should not think of my enjoyment with what GW2 offers lately.
You can enjoy and keep your raiding, I already said that but this is not the point. It does just not affect me that you enjoy raiding, maybe I said it a little bit harsh and if that is the case, I apologize for it. I don´t enjoy it and was asking for suggestions what you would do when you are not intending to raid and had 16 months of only very meager content else wise.

Rednik.3809

This isn’t a question for me, this is a question for anet. Do I know why 95% of the devs at anet seem incompetent? no. You and me both wish they would be putting other stuff out, but they just seem to not be for whatever reason.
Your anger is directed at raids but what I am saying is that you are pointing the blame at the wrong place. You should be pointing the blame at the 95% of devs that can’t seem to do anything for the last 6 months.

No, I blaming Anet for focusing on completely wrong direction while ignoring others, and I don’t trust “only 5 devs” at all. 5 devs pumping out full pve-sized map, with new encounters, mobs, SFX, etc.? No way.

25 charracters

randomguy.1283

“So what are you suggesting to do? stop playing and look for another game when I don´t want to be fed with morsels?” Yes, go somewhere else, please, you bring nothing but toxicity to this game just based on that first line.
And thanks for proving my point that you are toxic…

If you quote me, have at least the decency to quote me in full as I also stated that you should not think of my enjoyment with what GW2 offers lately.
You can enjoy and keep your raiding, I already said that but this is not the point. It does just not affect me that you enjoy raiding, maybe I said it a little bit harsh and if that is the case, I apologize for it. I don´t enjoy it and was asking for suggestions what you would do when you are not intending to raid and had 16 months of only very meager content else wise.

Get angry at anet because they can’t seem to produce any content in a 6 month timeframe.

randomguy.1283

No, I blaming Anet for focusing on completely wrong direction while ignoring others, and I don’t trust “only 5 devs” at all. 5 devs pumping out full pve-sized map, with new encounters, mobs, SFX, etc.? No way.

Again you’re wrong, RisingDusk already confirmed that the only people helping are the sound team and lore team (both of which clearly would be working on other things as well). Everything else is done by the raid team themselves. My only explanation for this is that the 5 devs working on raids are either extremely competent or the rest of the devs aren’t. Or both.

STIHL.2489

I find this funny coming from you.

randomguy.1283

I find this funny coming from you.

Hey I never said I couldn’t be toxic too, I’m not clean here. I think I’ve made that obvious.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Again you’re wrong, RisingDusk already confirmed that the only people helping are the sound team and lore team (both of which clearly would be working on other things as well). Everything else is done by the raid team themselves. My only explanation for this is that the 5 devs working on raids are either extremely competent or the rest of the devs aren’t. Or both.

Can confirm, animation guy and crystal reid are doing a very good job, and listening closely to players for insight and ideas.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

The raids are a much more complex, inherently elitist, and easier to implode undertaking.

I honestly think that’s the point. Raids where specifically billed as Hard content.

Think of it this way, if raids didn’t exist all those elitist twits would still be running around in your fractals and dungeons.

The elitist twits would have left the game.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Good thing you don’t have to believe it. However, you inability to believe doesn’t change the facts. We know from the boss himself the full time raid team is no more than 5 members. With some assistance from others sure, no one is denying that. However if you want to place blame on a handful of people then you are misguided when there’s another 200 people at that company and 70 of which are already started on the 2nd expansion. The very source of the problem called putting the cart before the horse.

So please get off your crusading high horse. If you want to state your displeasure for the company / its structure fine, but if you cannot be objective about raids being a good or bad idea why even bother posting ?

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

I don’t think we need to devolve into name calling.

Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO. You don’t need to like everything in the game. I don’t really like WvW, but I realize others do. I don’t complain when they get resources directed to them. And if WvW becomes amazing (for me), then it’s one more thing I can enjoy about the game. Seems like a good deal to me.

I realize some people don’t like raids. That’s fine. But to say it’s been the focus is a bit of a stretch, and contradicts what ANET’s been saying.

I agree the content drought is a problem. The only thing I personally do in game is SAB (and that’s gone in a week) and raid. But I don’t think the content drought is raids’ fault, and, personally, I think raids have been a net positive for the game.

Rednik.3809

Good thing you don’t have to believe it. However, you inability to believe doesn’t change the facts. We know from the boss himself the full time raid team is no more than 5 members. With some assistance from others sure, no one is denying that. However if you want to place blame on a handful of people then you are misguided when there’s another 200 people at that company and 70 of which are already started on the 2nd expansion. The very source of the problem called putting the cart before the horse.

So please get off your crusading high horse. If you want to state your displeasure for the company / its structure fine, but if you cannot be objective about raids being a good or bad idea why even bother posting ?

And its not about believing or not. As I said, its all about pure facts. We getting raid content and we not getting other content. We getting information about Anet happy with locking exclusive types of items behind raids and NO word about adding anything else for anyone else.
It’s literally “Eat raid or gtfo. What, you don’t like raids or like something else? Too bad, because you not getting anything else. Oh, and we plan to add more raid content, hope you like raids.

25 charracters

randomguy.1283

And its not about believing or not. As I said, its all about pure facts. We getting raid content and we not getting other content. We getting information about Anet happy with locking exclusive types of items behind raids and NO word about adding anything else for anyone else.
It’s literally “Eat raid or gtfo. What, you don’t like raids or like something else? Too bad, because you not getting anything else. Oh, and we plan to add more raid content, hope you like raids.

I’m sorry what? The new legendary weapons (at least the ones that you did get) are exclusive to HoT open world. The legendary backpiece is exclusive to fractals. The pvp backpiece is exclusive to pvp. Its 100% disingenuous to say that raids are the only thing with an exclusive reward.
Now if you want to talk about ascended trinkets that you can only get from raids like vipers. That’s 100% a terrible decision by anet and they NEED to put a way to obtain that somewhere else.

Also again, the lack is probably due to incompetence from the other teams as far as I know, please don’t take it out on the raids and raid team. It has been confirmed by multiple people now that the vast, vast, vast majority of people at anet right now have nothing to do with raids.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Really no word I believe there’s a big WvW overhaul coming up, LS should be getting an update soon, and iirc HoT had nothing for raiders until a month after launch, yes there has been a drought but they have multiple teams working on multiple projects, i.e. Raid team and sPvP team, all have released content, that does not mean they have been taking resources from other Teams.

Rednik.3809

I’m sorry what? The new legendary weapons (at least the ones that you did get) are exclusive to HoT open world. The legendary backpiece is exclusive to fractals. The pvp backpiece is exclusive to pvp. Its 100% disingenuous to say that raids are the only thing with an exclusive reward.

Its legendary weapon skins that are exclusive for HoT open world, not weapons themselves, because legendary weapon can be obtained from regular PvE too (and even PvP sometimes). Same for legendary backpacks, there is pvp one already and fractal one coming up, both with different skins. And only raids have legendary armor that cannot be obtained ANYWHERE else. Not just specific raid skin, but legendary items in armor slots.

25 charracters

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You’re using the word fact, i don’t think you understand what that means.

Your hyperbole about the current situation is comical, but wrong. Raids have nothing to do with the content drought.

Ohoni.6057

Regarding 1 – Yes, fractals has difficulty levels, but, again, most content in this game is at a single difficultly level.

No question, but if your argument were “There can’t be difficulty levels here because NO content in GW2 has difficulty levels,” then that might be valid, there would be no precedent for it. But “raids can’t have difficulty levels because most content in the game doesn’t have it” is a very weak argument to make, particularly when some of the content that does have difficulty levels is the content that is most similar to raids. Clearly they have established that one-size-fits-all doesn’t work for all types of content, so why not for raids as well? Most content in this game doesn’t need multiple difficulty levels because the base level of difficulty is approachable to all. Raids do not currently have a level that is approachable to all.

Regarding “experiencing the content”- I’m not sure what you mean by this. The whole point of raids is to overcome various mechanics to beat the boss. And there is nothing stopping you from entering the raid right now to see what the bosses are like.

The whole point from your perspective, perhaps, and if that’s your perspective then easy mode would not offer you anything you would want, and that’s fine since you wouldn’t have to participate in it. But just accept as a fact that to me, I DO see a benefit in being able to challenge the mechanics in a lower risk, lower stress environment, and just like some people may devour food that you can’t stand, people other than yourself have different tastes in gameplay experiences as well. That’s ok. Everyone’s taste options should not be limited by what only a few can endure.

- For people who do raid, it’s different content. It really wouldn’t be that fun to complete an easy mode and regular mode raid in the same week. I’m sure most of us would prefer something different (and something on a daily reset, to boot).

Perhaps, but people who raid already have hard mode raid. People who can’t do hard mode raid currently have nothing, so providing them with easy mode raid is more important than providing raiders with additional content.

- For easy mode raiders, you still need to get 9 other people to organize with you. I don’t think this barrier is too high (given the difficulty you’re asking for) but it’s still three.

Sure, but again, it’s not that high. People are currently able to find 10-man groups to run hard mode with, and that’s even including the factors that this group needs to include at least 1-2 solid healers, one good tank, usually 2-3 somewhat specialized roles per boss, and a lot of DPS, all in meta builds with high end gear, and ideally with tons of prior experience at that content. If people can find a group with so many barriers to successfully building one, then finding just nine other people who want to do the content without any of those barriers would be a cakewalk. Plus there will supposedly be a better LFG tool in the near future, which will help considerably more.

And you leave out the big one, that whether you agree with me or not about the specific time involved in making an easy mode raid, there is literally no argument to be made for any sort of dungeon or fractal taking equal or less time to produce. An easy mode raid is BY FAR the fastest thing they could get out.

Even if they crafted a Fractal that is just raid bosses stripped down to five people and rebalanced, that would take WAY longer to produce than easy mode raid, because they’d have to redesign numerous encounter mechanics to involve less players, they’d have to completely change the reward mechanisms to be Fractal-based, they’d need ton involve Agony in the fights in a way that works. They’d need to design it to function at likely 3-4 difficulty levels, that’d be a lot of work that wouldn’t be necessary to make an easy mode raid.

And any attempt at a 100% original fractal would be even more extensive, with modeling, animation, entirely new boss mechanics to design and test, etc.

So don’t try to compare them as like-for-like, “they could make easy mode raids or they could add a new fractal.” That’s not how it balances out. For the work it would take even just to convert one of the hard mode raid boss encounters into a Fractal, they could probably spit out all three existing wings as easy mode raids. For the cost of one original Fractal, it would take the effort of converting probably 2-3 full raids to easy mode.

Now they do have a separate fractal team working on fractals, but that work is happening with or without easy mode raids, so it’s not really relevant to this discussion.

Some rewards are going to be harder to get than others. Some rewards are going to be out of your reach. This has to be the case, otherwise players would have nothing to aim for.

No, that’s a faulty argument here. You say that it gives people “something to reach for,” but hard mode raids are permanently out of reach for most players. They are not something to reach for, they are something that cannot be acquired. I agree that players should have something out of reach, something to reach for. My proposals here fulfill that requirement perfectly. Legendary armor WOULD be out of reach with easy mode raiding, it would be many months of effort down the road, and you would have to work hard to earn it, but you would have that path to go down to earn it.

For all that pro-raiders say “anyone can just do hard mode and earn Legendary armor,” just accept that for a lot of players that is not on the table, they need an alternative path for it to pass into the realm of “something to reach for.”

But we’re using “need” in the sense that, you don’t need legendary armor to complete any content in this game. It is not required or even really advantageous for any encounter. So you can do the entire game and not once feel the loss of legendary armor.

That’s entirely subjective though. You might be able to do the entire game and not feel the loss of it, but I would feel the loss of it if it was a skin that I really wanted. What applies to you may not apply to me, and vice versa. You value stats far more than I do, and I seem to value skins more than you do, but that doesn’t make either of us wrong, it just means that different things are important to us, and we should embrace those differences.

Some people hate map completion and open world. Others hate raids. So they just won’t get the reward. No big deal.

There’s a huge difference though, in that anyone CAN do map completion, it requires barely any skill, particularly if you had a group of ten to help you, while raids are far more frustrating content. Map completion would take a fraction of the time to earn than the Legendary armor, requires no gear treadmill since it can all be completed in greens, and requires no practice, each experience along the way you only have to do once, rather than grinding away at the same bosses.

You just cannot compare the two as being “equivalent” in any way, shape, or form.

I’ll also note that the new legendary weapons and backpieces are even more restrictive in their acquisition, since it’s much harder to buy those.

Yeah, and players didn’t particularly enjoy that, which is why they stopped making them.

And don’t tell me raiders don’t deserve to sell runs, when the weapon precursors were essentially a random drop.

I’m not saying it was a good thing that people could sell precursors either. I mean, all things as they were, I think it was better people could sell them than not, of course, but the entire precursor situation was far from ideal. The more ideal situation would be that you could not sell them on the TP at all, but that precursor crafting had been in from the start in some form, so that no RNG was involved at all, and that if they did still drop randomly (on top of crafting), instead of cashing out the ones you didn’t personally want, you would be able to trade any precursor 1:1 to a vendor, so if you were lucky enough to get any pre, you’d be lucky enough to get the exact one you wanted.

I am thoroughly boggled.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You are complaining even though anet didn’t take away ANY CONTENT FROM YOU.

They took Legendary armor away from me. If raiding did not exist, then Legendary armor would be attached to some other activity, likely something I could do. They took the Forsaken Thicket away from me. If not for raiding that region of the map could contain other types of content, and the teams working on the raid could have designed more of an open world map instead. They didn’t remove any content that existed in the game, but they did remove content that would have existed in the game.

Also, NOBODY is talking about removing content from anyone, we’re talking about adding new content that would provide alternatives to people.

This is the reason why a lot of players have left this game, this community used to be one of the best but is now just full of upset people angry about everything (for many legitimate reasons, sure). More people have left the game because of attitudes like this than because of raids, I’m sure.

And yet what was the cause of “attitudes like this?” Yes, the creep of raid-like culture, not just in the raids themselves, but in the increasing difficulty of the open world HoT maps, and other enabling of the “more challenge” crowd over the casuals that support this game.

Ohoni only wants to devalue our rewards in order to give those rewards to others,

That’s the sense of entitlement I was talking about, “our rewards,” they are not your rewards, they are ANet’s rewards to hand out to whomever they want, including the filthy casuals. You are not entitled to those rewards just because you enjoy raiding.

As stated a billion times before in this thread, the raid team is made of 5 devs, there are over 100 devs.

The number of devs involved is not relevant. It could be five, could be one, could be fifty, does not matter. What matters is the content they push out, and the raid team, whatever the size, is pushing out more content than the other ANet employees combined. If not for raids, that talent could be spent elsewhere.

Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO. You don’t need to like everything in the game.

That argument only applies when there are multiple paths to the rewards. When there is only one path to a given reward, you don’t get to play the “you don’t have to enjoy all the content” card. Choose one, you can’t have both.

Now if you want to talk about ascended trinkets that you can only get from raids like vipers. That’s 100% a terrible decision by anet and they NEED to put a way to obtain that somewhere else.

And the same applies to Legendary Armor, of course, which is far more important than ascended trinkets.

It has been confirmed by multiple people now that the vast, vast, vast majority of people at anet right now have nothing to do with raids.

and I’m not blaming those people for anything. When I reference “ANet,” I am referring to those with decision-making power within the company, who decide what content gets made, who makes it, what rewards are attached, etc. Without a detailed breakdown of their work process it’s impossible to say who is ultimately responsible for each choice, they probably don’t know themselves in many cases, so “ANet” is a catchall term for “anyone who can make it right.”

done by now.”

Astralporing.1957

Well, it’s not like you care about his enjoyment either.

Your hyperbole about the current situation is comical, but wrong. Raids have nothing to do with the content drought.

You’re saying that if the same team was doing anything else except raids they would not have been as succesful?

Because it seems now that all the best/most effective developers were put on raid team (and possibly next expac team) and everything else is being done with those that just weren’t that good enough.

Actions, not words.

STIHL.2489

So moving on.

Have you played DDO yet?

Now now, we can’t rush these things, you have to let me savor it.

Well let me know if the Krothos starter gear has improved, last time I started a new character, we got Rusty Weapons. Wondering is they are handing out ‘uber max kill everything’ weapons these days.