Dragonhunter - Guardian Elite Specialization

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Ranged condi option with more soft CC and some neat mechanics. Pretty much what was to be expected and looks interesting. Not sure how it’ll translate to the dungeon scene, but the new traits would be hard to beat anyways, PVPers should love it though I’d imagine.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Utterly kittening useless support/condi spec as expected.

Posted by: ShadowRX.9024

ShadowRX.9024

Well maybe the time has come for Mesmer to remove Guardian completly from the meta.

cranos.5913

Well maybe the time has come for Mesmer to remove Guardian completly from the meta.

Could be, I can safely say this news is disappointing for me. If they don’t add any good content in the xpack I’m definitely not sticking around.

Jerus.4350

While Guard does Ele level damage? Are you sure? With the Ice Bow nerf and the huge increase to guard damage, I don’t know about that. Which is why I was commenting about being concerned about the power creep back in the mesmer post. If the meta now allows both a guard and mesmer’s support all while maintaining a very high level of damage, wowsa, that’s a lot of extra defense.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Here’s to hoping the traps give some useful fields instead of just lights.

I wonder which one of the devs woke up one morning and thought “you know what the guardian needs? More projectile defense!:”

ShadowRX.9024

While Guard does Ele level damage? Are you sure? With the Ice Bow nerf and the huge increase to guard damage, I don’t know about that. Which is why I was commenting about being concerned about the power creep back in the mesmer post. If the meta now allows both a guard and mesmer’s support all while maintaining a very high level of damage, wowsa, that’s a lot of extra defense.

Chronomancer : Double TW , Double Mini TW ( the well with 3 sec quickness) Shield and Quickness is a boon is a lot of dps too. Even if IB is removed 2 eles = 2 glyphs 2 meteor showers so the meta will still be 2 Ele 1 wa 1 thief + mesmer or guard.
We already know how OP the braindead meta is ( 2 staff ele and 1 ps wa) so I can’t see why you would want to removed 1 ele ( also staff ele gets buffed ps wa gets buffed a lot too).
F3 not giving aegis looks so bad too.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Staff Guards + Bearbow = HolyBow?

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

cranos.5913

That’s only for the elite spec. Quite obv we won’t take this garbage into dungeons.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

That’s only for the elite spec. Quite obv we won’t take this garbage into dungeons.

This. The way the article sets the stage for the specialization’s description, it seems clear that this is more for WvW:

The dragonhunter—a ferocious big-game hunter that specializes in ranged combat and back-line support.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

At least that way we know that the meta won’t change for guardian, no specialization to theorycraft..

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Jerus.4350

How does Guardian DPS with 20%+ extra damage compare to a staff Ele though? Mace2->WW->Leap->Binding ->SoW vs Eruption->Glyph->Lavafont->Meteor (or even… Hammer1→Hammer1→Hammer1→Hammer1…)

I figure at worst its’ a small dps loss for a HUGE defensive gain, so maybe just a casual run setup, not ideal, but stupid easy and nearly as good.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

ShadowRX.9024

This. The way the article sets the stage for the specialization’s description, it seems clear that this is more for WvW.

I hope F123 remains the same if we don’t have the elite spec.

cranos.5913

How does Guardian DPS with 20%+ extra damage compare to a staff Ele though? Mace2->WW->Leap->Binding ->SoW vs Eruption->Glyph->Lavafont->Meteor

I figure at worst its’ a small dps loss for a HUGE defensive gain, so maybe just a casual run setup, not ideal, but stupid easy and nearly as good.

I would wait with these statements until the specs actually come out. Staff ele still has more dmg modifiers anyway.

This. The way the article sets the stage for the specialization’s description, it seems clear that this is more for WvW.

I hope F123 remains the same if we don’t have the elite spec.

It does. They already revealed core specs. If anything that big changed there they would’ve hinted at it.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

It won’t be all that useful, But it looks cool

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

ShadowRX.9024

How does Guardian DPS with 20%+ extra damage compare to a staff Ele though? Mace2->WW->Leap->Binding ->SoW vs Eruption->Glyph->Lavafont->Meteor (or even… Hammer1->Hammer1->Hammer1->Hammer1…)

Maybe Guard dps will be close to Ele though I can’t see Guard > Ele. Also nice that another class will be braindead ( if the meta will be hammer 1).

cranos.5913

How does Guardian DPS with 20%+ extra damage compare to a staff Ele though? Mace2->WW->Leap->Binding ->SoW vs Eruption->Glyph->Lavafont->Meteor (or even… Hammer1->Hammer1->Hammer1->Hammer1…)

Maybe Guard dps will be close to Ele though I can’t see Guard > Ele. Also nice that another class will be braindead ( if the meta will be hammer 1).

Nah, if you take the honor line you can have pretty much constant light fields with GS+ mace so I don’t see hammer happening for max dps (at least I hope not).

ShadowRX.9024

Nah, if you take the honor line you can have pretty much constant light fields with GS+ mace so I don’t see hammer happening for max dps (at least I hope not).

I hope so too beacuse if the meta is hammer 1, thief will be the only class not braindead.

(edited by ShadowRX.9024)

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

At least that way we know that the meta won’t change for guardian, no specialization to theorycraft..

Entirely possible, however unlikely, that the trait line will have some good stuff. It would be possible to conceive of a Zeal, Honor, Dragonhunter build with GS+Mace assuming there was something in the new traits that was better than Virtues.

Remember, you dont have to use a bow with the elite specialization. It could very well be that for PvE the specialization traits work out better with the normal weapons.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Talyn.3295

Entirely possible, however unlikely, that the trait line will have some good stuff. It would be possible to conceive of a Zeal, Honor, Dragonhunter build with GS+Mace assuming there was something in the new traits that was better than Virtues.

Remember, you dont have to use a bow with the elite specialization. It could very well be that for PvE the specialization traits work out better with the normal weapons.

I was wondering about that myself. Guess we will have to wait on the details.

cranos.5913

Condi and trapper traits? I’m not holding my breath.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Im more disappointed in the name than anything. :P

Talyn.3295

Im more disappointed in the name than anything. :P

Could have been worse. Bunny Hunters anyone?

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Well now we can speculate on Banshee GS/Shouts necro.

Snow Crows [SC]

spoj.9672

If it is banshee i wont be cringing quite as hard with the name atleast. If its deathknight…..

Talyn.3295

Shield of Courage—Instead of simply activating your Virtue of Courage and giving your allies aegis, you’ll now create a shield in front of you that blocks attacks for allies within its radius. With excellent control through positioning, you’ll find that you can block much more efficiently when facing the enemy, though you’ll be exposed from your flanks.

I know we lose ageis, but for some fights, this has some potential right?

cranos.5913

Shield of Courage—Instead of simply activating your Virtue of Courage and giving your allies aegis, you’ll now create a shield in front of you that blocks attacks for allies within its radius. With excellent control through positioning, you’ll find that you can block much more efficiently when facing the enemy, though you’ll be exposed from your flanks.

How so?

Talyn.3295

How so?

Depending on the duration of the shield it blocks all attacks aimed at the guardian and allies. Where as Ageis only blocks one.

cranos.5913

How so?

Depending on the duration of the shield it blocks all attacks aimed at the guardian and allies. Where as Ageis only blocks one.

We don’t need more support. It’s already too trivial. Unless the new traits beat the virtues line, which I don’t see happening, this would not be a reason to take it.

Jerus.4350

My thought was more that with quickness you might gain more with the stronger 1 attack on hammer. Maybe, maybe not /shrug, I agree though it’d be lame, much hate for braindead options becoming the best options.

spoj.9672

Well spamming new f1 on trash might be pretty broken damage. So i wouldnt count the spec out just yet.

dlonie.6547

Wait, did I miss something? Since when are light fields good for DPS?

Is this a new trait or something?

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

I think he talks about new trait granting guardian a dps buff when in symbol

ShadowRX.9024

Zeal Grandmastr trait ( you do 20% more dmg if the mob is in your symbol)

dlonie.6547

Cool! That’s a pretty smart change.

Jerus.4350

Yes and no, while it’s nice to have light fields be something wanted, it’s going to only strengthen the PS + Staff Ele meta, making for more braindead play. Between this, PS being achieved with berserker’s power, and destruction of non staff Ele DPS, well, it seems ANet wants to reinforce the easy play

I feel like I’m going to have to go full PHIW and run sub par builds just to have fun while doing so.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Again, we don’t need to use everything from the specialization if we take the line. We’ll see what will be the exact trait, but for now we only need some trait in the Dragonhunter line that is better than UC and Power of the Virtious. Everything could be the same, I don’t think they gonna have 9 major and 3 minor all about support and condition.

And some trap could be nice in PvE, we’ll see.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Yes and no, while it’s nice to have light fields be something wanted, it’s going to only strengthen the PS + Staff Ele meta, making for more braindead play. Between this, PS being achieved with berserker’s power, and destruction of non staff Ele DPS, well, it seems ANet wants to reinforce the easy play

I feel like I’m going to have to go full PHIW and run sub par builds just to have fun while doing so.

With a little chance the Guardian meta will be GS + Mace/Focus and it will be nice to make the rotation to keep the symbol uptime. At least my Guardian will be nicer to play. Finger cross.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

ShadowRX.9024

Yea seems like the meta is going more braindead . Lets hope somehow SF DF ele and non PS wa is kinda close so we can at least have more fun in dailies and not slam our faces on the keyboard with this PS WA meta.

dlonie.6547

The meta is changing at an alarming rate.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I wonder if the symbol damage is stackable, more symbols = more damage? Might be overlooked. 4 guardian 1 war parties!

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Doesnt fit into dungeon meta as it stands in any respect

combo focus on blast
melee controls boss position
conditions not favored

could be useful with other weapons, but is giving up a line going to be that useful if you ignore both traps, and the weapon?

also possible the meta will change with regard to combo fields/positioning/boss control
buuuuut nothing they mentioned really suggests that

cranos.5913

Again, we don’t need to use everything from the specialization if we take the line. We’ll see what will be the exact trait, but for now we only need some trait in the Dragonhunter line that is better than UC and Power of the Virtious. Everything could be the same, I don’t think they gonna have 9 major and 3 minor all about support and condition.

And some trap could be nice in PvE, we’ll see.

Again, I’m not holding my breath. The only reason to take a guardian at this point is its support. With this spec the virtues are worse off for your typical fractal run, not taking the virtues line would further get rid of most support. If you wanna get rid of this support in favour of more dmg I really don’t see why you wouldn’t just go for the chronomancer.

Posted by: Cheezy.2039

Cheezy.2039

Necros will get conjures, heard it here first

Cheezy – Vis Invicta [vC]

The meta is changing at an alarming rate.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

imo

no ones getting conjures, looks like each spec gives 5+? of that skill
5 wells
5 traps
6 shouts?

i highly doubt they want to give a class 25 new skills
soo say goodbye to kits as well!

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Conjure a Necro (3/4s cast, 1600s CD) : Breaks the Mists to create a totally new and unique 9th class.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

Necro will get weapon buffing, ritualist style. Why? Because Belinda.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Necro gets “Reckless Haste” well. Your enemies gain 25 stacks of confusion, blind and whenever you attack, you trigger their confusion proc. All units gain haste. GG! necros meta.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I foresee the death of staff guard in dungeons and fractals.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids