Dungeon Cheesing - Working as intended?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

How dare you skip trash mobs, that is not the bushido way!

xDD +1

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

«You are too serious of your skills & opinions judging that you just started doing dungeons a couple weeks lately »

The kitten?! ’ve been playing since beta and doing dungeons shortly after launch. I stopped playing, started playing again, and have been doing dungeons since.

And I agree that monsters could give nicer loot, it’s annoying getting nothing or gray items. I understand why Anet doesn’t give a lot of money/loot before you finish the dungeon though, they want you to finish the dungeon instead of farming the trash mobs.

I don’t know what kind of loot the monsters could give without leading to players farming monsters at the beginning of the dungeon then leaving without finishing.

Anet doesn’t want players to farm the easy guys, they want them to finish the dungeon.
Personally I don’t have a problem with people doing that, but it’s Anet’s game, not mine.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: Roman Legionary.6715

Roman Legionary.6715

Because I am absolutely terrible at using words to describe how I feel, I’m just going to use cheese as a verb, adjective and a noun.
cheese cheese cheese cheesing cheese cheese? Cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese mccheese cheese. CHEESE!!!! LIKE CHEESE!

Posted by: Roman Legionary.6715

Roman Legionary.6715

Do you know what I’m saying?

Errr sorry,
cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheeesing?

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

I think there is a problem here. Groups try to skip everything when in fact killing a few easy mobs can make skipping later mobs much easier. The average time spent in the dungeon decreases if you reduce the risk of the repeated bad skip. Killing the least amount of foes is not actually good time management. People think they are clever and skilful when they skip the maximum number of mobs but they’re actually not being very wise.

All skipping takes is running past something… this doesn’t cost you time later at all because oh hey look it’s a mile behind you.

You are assuming that everyone in the party is skipping successfully, which is not always the case, cause some of the skipping is plain weird.
I have spent 30 minutes standing at the final Arah boss, waiting for party members to skip the mobs, jump on ship, find correct ledge, jump in the gap at the correct spot, run along without falling before the point where you should fall and then die jumping down and be ressed by someone traited. Note that I was not the first through by far – so some ppl waited even more.

Then it was patched, and going the long way (admittedly with some mob skipping) was actually faster and less frustrating.

PS: I don’t do Arah often and this means that I do not know the skips very well. But that is exactly one of the issues with blind skipping. It makes players who are new in a dungeon feel useless when they fail and everyone is at the end waiting for them to “just run through”.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

«You are too serious of your skills & opinions judging that you just started doing dungeons a couple weeks lately »

The kitten?! ’ve been playing since beta and doing dungeons shortly after launch. I stopped playing, started playing again, and have been doing dungeons since.

Add me to the list!
I took a long break from the game, and the last time I “did” dungeons, they were very buggy and my party could never get in.
I play a Lv 80 engineer, but I don’t mind if others are lower level.
It’s difficult to find groups that aren’t speed runners (even gw2lfg), and to me that takes the fun out of the game… and makes it so I don’t understand what’s going on.
I’m more interested in Honor of the Waves and Sorrow’s Embrace, but I’ll team up for other dungeons too.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/New-to-Dungeons-and-want-to-learn/first#post2149571

If you are experienced as you said you are, you don’t join a group of “New-to-Dungeons-and-want-to-learn”. At that post is 10 days ago. Not going to make you an experienced dungeon runner neither. But whatever.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I think there is a problem here. Groups try to skip everything when in fact killing a few easy mobs can make skipping later mobs much easier. The average time spent in the dungeon decreases if you reduce the risk of the repeated bad skip. Killing the least amount of foes is not actually good time management. People think they are clever and skilful when they skip the maximum number of mobs but they’re actually not being very wise.

All skipping takes is running past something… this doesn’t cost you time later at all because oh hey look it’s a mile behind you.

You are assuming that everyone in the party is skipping successfully, which is not always the case, cause some of the skipping is plain weird.
I have spent 30 minutes standing at the final Arah boss, waiting for party members to skip the mobs, jump on ship, find correct ledge, jump in the gap at the correct spot, run along without falling before the point where you should fall and then die jumping down and be ressed by someone traited. Note that I was not the first through by far – so some ppl waited even more.

Then it was patched, and going the long way (admittedly with some mob skipping) was actually faster and less frustrating.

PS: I don’t do Arah often and this means that I do not know the skips very well. But that is exactly one of the issues with blind skipping. It makes players who are new in a dungeon feel useless when they fail and everyone is at the end waiting for them to “just run through”.

The problem with skipping is always each one on his own, and many times the players do not understand how to prepare their skills for escaping. Each party mostly has enough professions to provide cover for the group to skip safely, but there is no party leader w/ effective communication to instruct specific player to use what skill at what point. The group basically is a bunch of chickens running through traps to see which one would be the sacrifice lamb. Some can run through, but not all.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: DarthInvadeHer.9861

DarthInvadeHer.9861

Did Frodo and Sam just charge through the gates of Mordor? No, they skipped around.
Hadnt they done that, the Lotr series had been pretty short.

Skipping mobs IS a legitimate strategy, and is preffered by most, for good reason.
I have tried not skipping mobs, was arah p1 and it ended up taking around 3 hours, including ending up skipping the gorilla boss and the mobs around there after looking at the time.
Not everyone has that much time to invest in a single dungeon, maybe you do, and thats why you’re free to do it this way.

I dare say that this isnt about you not being able to get a group for this, because i know very well that that is not true, i’ve even met entire guilds who take up this stance towards it.
What i think this is about is you not being happy other people are doing it this way.
“Why should it take me 3 hours when these guys do it in 10-15 min?! thats not fair!”

P.S, gw2lfg has an option that says “Doing everything – Why skip content when it is there.”
Will it take you longer to make a group? probably, seeing as most people dont want to do this, does logic not speak for itself?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Many people also think that party should stay together while skipping. Still trying to figure out why, even if i mostly get the answer when they can’t do it on their own for the next 10 minutes.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Many people also think that party should stay together while skipping. Still trying to figure out why, even if i mostly get the answer when they can’t do it on their own for the next 10 minutes.

often to protect glasscannons.

For some classes/builds is easier to skip.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Dub.1273

Yeah, skipping as warrior, guardian, thief or ranger is pretty much a joke, eles don’t have it too hard while skipping as mesmer can be tough. Still, all professions can skip on their own.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

The skipping parts is one of the reasons I don’t like playing my mesmer in Arah…

“Well, you just got frozen for 45 seconds. Yes, I know you have absolutely no condition removal, or mobility, and your only source of swiftness is buggy as kitten. Oh, and I forgot to mention, this is only the first guy you need to skip. Well, I’m sorry if you’re mad, your class just sucks, the only reason they take you anyway is because of your utility skills.”

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Zinkey.6983

Zinkey.6983

OP makes a brilliant point, challenging PvE in this game is in a dire state.

People skip in dungeons to the point where they are barely playing the game anymore. Any opportunity to skip/bug a boss/mob is taken by the average group. Now yes people say they do this because its not fun/takes too long etc. Well I ask you this, is there any part of these dungeons you wouldnt skip if you could?

With CoF for example, lets say a bug comes about where you could just walk in, loot chest and leave, no fighting involved. Would you still bother playing the dungeon or would you just loot that chest? Sadly I think most people in reality would just loot the chest, which begs the further question, why bother playing the game at all?

What is the point in getting all these shiny bits of armour and weapons (i.e combat gear) when all you want to do is run past everything? Do you even use all this gear you earn?

Historically in MMOs and RPGs dungeons are supposed to be difficult combat areas, with bosses and puzzles which you have to defeat, and succeeding rewarded you with loot you otherwise couldnt earn. GW2 dungeons just feel like platformers where players take every possible route to avoid combat, because fighting “just isnt quick enough”. All so they can rush to the end to essentially get a pile of loot which has a gold value tied to it, which can then be mushed into the economy and spent on loot which could equally be earned by running around mining for hours on end.

GW2 has possibly one of the most interesting combat systems ever in an MMO, and its wasted on a player base that will go to any means to avoid it.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

GW2 has possibly one of the most interesting combat systems ever in an MMO, and its wasted on a player base that will go to any means to avoid it.

You make it sound like this is the fault of the player base. People generally respond to the incentives they are given, depending on the results they want.

A big problem with the game currently is that the casual crowd prevent the type of challenging content from being implemented. The tired “dungeons are too easy” threads are currently about 1:1 with “dungeons are too hard” threads. If they made actual challenging content with commensurate rewards the ratio would be 1:13872973296. The casual crowd feels entitled to be able to finish all content with whatever build or party composition they want and they expect it to require the minimum of effort. Also, they expect the rewards to be the same as what a hardcore group can achieve.

This isn’t bashing casuals, I don’t mind that they want everything to be EZ mode, that’s their right to want whatever they want. But development doesn’t have to listen. Unfortunately, it is the casual crowd who buy town clothes and quaggan hats with real world money, so that is who development caters to. When end-game PVE’ers cry on the forums, they get nothing. When the type of people who use real money to buy mini pets cry on the forums, things happen.

The problem is that development has not at all been even. The hardcore pve community hasn’t received a single bone thrown their way since fractals were introduced, and even the rewards for that was nerfed and the content seemingly permanently gated. Since fractals every monthly update has been exclusively carebear fluff oriented. It would be nice to get some love from a-net.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Zinkey.6983

Zinkey.6983

You make it sound like this is the fault of the player base. People generally respond to the incentives they are given, depending on the results they want.

Well quite frankly one of the biggest things in the way of decent PvE content is the player base. Its a minority of players out there who will hit difficult content and actually come to the conclusion that they need to improve their play to beat it rather than just settle on the idea its “too hard/impossible” and just look to break it instead. So all you end up with is a community who whines about something until it is nerfed, or if it isnt nerfed just breaks it anyway and pretends thats how its “meant to be played”.

Not that I’m exempting Anet from blame, everything you said about their PvE content (or lack thereof) is spot on. The PvE game has several huge flaws, lack of class balance, uninteresting content, poor rewards system. Gaping design flaws like the ability to pull any pack of mobs into one concentrated pack to be AoE’d with ease.

So I guess if it makes you feel any better, as an addition to my first post, you also have a game with a brilliant unique combat system, that is wasted on poor quality badly maintained PvE content.

Bright.9160

Well quite frankly one of the biggest things in the way of decent PvE content is the player base. Its a minority of players out there who will hit difficult content and actually come to the conclusion that they need to improve their play to beat it rather than just settle on the idea its “too hard/impossible” and just look to break it instead. So all you end up with is a community who whines about something until it is nerfed, or if it isnt nerfed just breaks it anyway and pretends thats how its “meant to be played”.

First of all skipping mobs is not breaking the dungeon. I could show you how to truly break a dungeon: i.e. run around anywhere you want in multiple dungeons, but I’m not going to for obvious secrecy reasons.

Skipping is a legit tactic, it has always been the case. Anet even admitted it in several interviews that they are aware that people skip mobs. They said something along the lines of “well, we could make it so that mobs never break aggro, but that wouldn’t be fun either”. They admitted the loot from trash is terrible, but it’s a difficult balance to seek because if the loot is too good, people won’t bother with doing the actual dungeon, and if loot is too lacking, people won’t bother with killing the trash.

Also, we don’t skip because killing is “too hard/impossible”, we skip because killing is a complete waste of time. In fact, I’m pretty sure Arah was built with the idea of skipping in mind. Why would I spend over an hour in a dungeon path that I could easily complete in 15-18minutes with skipping?

Not to mention skipping is actually ‘difficult’ in some places, because there’s plenty of people that can’t pull it off.

Not that I’m exempting Anet from blame, everything you said about their PvE content (or lack thereof) is spot on. The PvE game has several huge flaws, lack of class balance, uninteresting content, poor rewards system. Gaping design flaws like the ability to pull any pack of mobs into one concentrated pack to be AoE’d with ease.

Pulling mobs into a ball isn’t a design flaw, it’s a tactical advantage. It’s a method that has been used in just about every MMO game ever, for obvious reasons. What is a design flaw is the fact that only 2 professions are capable of pulling multiple foes into a ball, essentially giving them a huge advantage over all the other professions. Other professions have pushes and pulls, but they’re single target, making them essentially useless for killing trash.

So I guess if it makes you feel any better, as an addition to my first post, you also have a game with a brilliant unique combat system, that is wasted on poor quality badly maintained PvE content.

Nothing to disagree with here. The only thing I might think of is that your reasons for thinking PvE is badly maintained might differ slightly from mine.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Did Frodo and Sam just charge through the gates of Mordor? No, they skipped around. Hadnt they done that, the Lotr series had been pretty short.

They didn’t fight the boss, either.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

A higher standard for YOU maybe, but you fail to realize that some people don’t mind skipping.

If you pressed me to summarize the GW2 dungeon experience in a sentence, it would be a negative and waffling thing that begins with an involuntary click of my tongue and a melodic ‘Well…’.

I don’t particularly care about debating the elements in isolation – it’s the whole package that makes the thing so acridly cheddar. It’s the whole package from role to reward that needs to change, and it honestly doesn’t matter what happens to trash mobs in the process so long as the dungeon experience becomes something to write home about.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Did Frodo and Sam just charge through the gates of Mordor? No, they skipped around. Hadnt they done that, the Lotr series had been pretty short.

-shelob -> miniboss with a bundle mechanic
-bunch of orcs -> gate guarding trash mechanic
-sneaking through a country -> puzzle mechanic
-sauron -> boss with a bundle based mechanic

They what now?

(edited by Player Character.9467)

Bright.9160

They what now?

You just made my morning a lot better.

Although, the bundle mechanic at Sauron was a little bit OP. I mean, it’s a one-shot kill for a pretty strong boss. Kind of makes the entire fight redundant.

Player Character.9467

They what now?

Although, the bundle mechanic at Sauron was a little bit OP. I mean, it’s a one-shot kill for a pretty strong boss. Kind of makes the entire fight redundant.

I feel that fight was the inspiration for the zhaitan fight.

Bright.9160

They what now?

I feel that fight was the inspiration for the zhaitan fight.

They had inspiration for the Zhaitan fight? I thought it went something like this:

“Guys, hey guys, guys!”
“Guys, I’ve got an idea!”
“Remember that epic endboss fight we promised them?”
“I know how to really make it epic!”
“Let’s make it the most disappointing fight in MMO history, right”
“and then let’s pretend we don’t know what they’re talking about!”
“They’d be like, ‘hey dude, your fight sucks’ and we’d be like ’ I don’t know what you’re talking about ’ "
“Wouldn’t that be the best troll ever?”
“Right guys? Guys?”

Dub.1273

Fight? I only remember a 10 minute long grand display of fireworks.

Dub | [rT]

Bright.9160

I don’t know if ‘grand’ is the word you’re looking for there….

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

They what now?

Well, maybe… but it was a GW2 boss, because no tank or healer — and they ran past most of the trash.

Bright.9160

They what now?

Well, maybe… but it was a GW2 boss, because no tank or healer — and they ran past most of the trash.

Well, not really. Gandalf, Aragorn and their little Gondor army were the tank. They used a taunt to aggro the orks and Frodo and Sam sneaked by using stealth mechanics.

Their Shadow Refuge ran out at a certain point though.

Posted by: Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Play the way you wanna play and all that, but frankly I think dungeons should be revamped to make skipping very hard with only very little pay off.

And what would that result into? Instead of skipping trash, we’d just go back to skipping over walls..

Also, who are you to dictate people how to play dungeons? Some of us like efficiency and speed. This means we like skipping trash, especially seeing how the trash is usually a pain in the kitten to kill (Arah), and never drops anything good (every dungeon ever), thus making them a pure waste of time.

Don’t like skipping? Sure, go ahead and make a group of people who don’t like skipping, no one is holding you back from doing dungeon paths in 1-2 hours when you can do them in 15 minutes. Whatever floats your boat I guess, but forcing other players to do it the way you want to, is kind of pointless.

Oh but I’m not the one who dictates. Anet is. And they have every right to. I reckon it’s more in the spirit of dungeon playing to make skipping very hard with very little payoff, and would very much like to see dungeons changed this way. And what it would result into? Surely not back to skipping walls, as I see no reason why we wouldn’t be doing that already, not to mention that skipping walls is bugging and skipping mobs isn’t.
Also nice strawman, I skip along with the best of them.

Btw the + gold find per trash mob slain is a pretty cool idea.

Dub.1273

I don’t know if ‘grand’ is the word you’re looking for there….

Oh it was. It has been amazing, wonderful and extremely enjoyable!

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: ExaDal.2017

ExaDal.2017

Kill trash in this game is stupid and useless, why?
1) High health pools
2) High damage output
3) 0 strategy
4) And the most important, no valuable loot, just trash.

So, why you want to kill trash?

Player Character.9467

They what now?

What does no tank or healer have to do with GW2? Just because there isn’t a class labeled ‘healer’ and a class labeled ‘tank’ means you can’t figure out how to get one? That doesn’t sound like the problem is with the game…

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

so…in short OP is complaining because he can’t get 4 other friends or PUGS to play with him the way he likes?

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

What I found funny is that the first group I joined that did the CoF 2 skipping it was taking longer to get over the gap/wall with the air hammer than if we had just done it normally. Exploiters gonna exploit, so just find a new group. I just think it’s dumb people want to do it on the shorter dungeon paths.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

What I found funny is that the first group I joined that did the CoF 2 skipping it was taking longer to get over the gap/wall with the air hammer than if we had just done it normally. Exploiters gonna exploit, so just find a new group. I just think it’s dumb people want to do it on the shorter dungeon paths.

People trying to get through a dungeon using a different method for the first time are going to take a little bit longer than those who have mastered it. But if after the first run you still can’t jump properly then I can only assume you’re the type of person who still has difficulty with the dodge mechanic.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

While I agree that sometimes skipping stuff leads to more trouble later on if you have to run back (I’ve had some terrible experiences with pre-nerfed TA when it had just the one WP at the beginning and my non-80 at the time didn’t have access to elite stability skills), once you know the dungeon then it’s not really worth the time invested to kill silver mobs just to get like a blue cabalist hood.

I also have some weeks where I only play for 2 hours every other day – you can’t expect me to waste my 2 hours killing every single thing along the way with you just because you want to slog through everything the hard way. If you have the time to work through the dungeon in its entirety, that’s great, but some of us have deadlines, jobs and lives outside the game.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

People trying to get through a dungeon using a different method for the first time are going to take a little bit longer than those who have mastered it. But if after the first run you still can’t jump properly then I can only assume you’re the type of person who still has difficulty with the dodge mechanic.

Hmm, no, I’ve mastered dodging if that was directed at me. I couldn’t get the hammer jump because I just wasn’t in it. With practice I could get it every time like the pros, but I don’t want to play CoF 2 that way because it’s easy enough as it is.

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

While I agree that sometimes skipping stuff leads to more trouble later on if you have to run back (I’ve had some terrible experiences with pre-nerfed TA when it had just the one WP at the beginning and my non-80 at the time didn’t have access to elite stability skills), once you know the dungeon then it’s not really worth the time invested to kill silver mobs just to get like a blue cabalist hood.

I also have some weeks where I only play for 2 hours every other day – you can’t expect me to waste my 2 hours killing every single thing along the way with you just because you want to slog through everything the hard way. If you have the time to work through the dungeon in its entirety, that’s great, but some of us have deadlines, jobs and lives outside the game.

I am with you. but instead I would like all this trash removed or brought down to reasonable levels so we don’t have to either skip it or waste 2 hours killing it. It serves no real purpose anyway.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Ah another “People should play the way I want them to play” post complaining about skipping trash mobs. Never gets old.

I want loot without having to kill any mobs at all, including bosses. Why doesn’t ANet cater to my whims? Any response you suggest will simply be proof that you want me to play how you like to play.

Yaki.9563

Kill trash in this game is stupid and useless, why?
1) High health pools
2) High damage output
3) 0 strategy
4) And the most important, no valuable loot, just trash.

So, why you want to kill trash?

Why kill bosses? They are just glorified trash mobs. I should get currency and a chest just for walking in the instance. Heck, why do I even have to spend the silver to go to the instance? I should just be able to click a button in LA and get my loot/currency.

Yaki.9563

Did Frodo and Sam just charge through the gates of Mordor? No, they skipped around.

You mean they ran through every orc patrol along the way and simply ran until the orcs gave up, even though the hobbits had no way of escaping? Must be a different LotR than the one I remember.

Bright.9160

Man Yaki, you have either some serious kittenhurt over people skipping, or you are the worst troll ever.

WAAAA!!!! People don’t play like me! They are such meanies and don’t play the game like I think it should be played!!!

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

Ah another “People should play the way I want them to play” post complaining about skipping trash mobs. Never gets old.

I want loot without having to kill any mobs at all, including bosses. Why doesn’t ANet cater to my whims? Any response you suggest will simply be proof that you want me to play how you like to play.

Honestly no one cares how you play. Go do whatever you want. If you can find a way to get loot without killing any mobs (playing the tp, buying it with gems which many many people do) then good for you, no one is going to complain on forums. How often do you see forum threads in which people complain about those who make money playing the tp? We don’t care how you play, how about you extend us the same courtesy, because until we are slipping into your runs and forcing your team to skip at gunpoint we aren’t affecting the way you play the game. If you have such strong ideals about the way the game should be played then go do that and leave us alone.

[DnT]

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

The snark is a little much, but Yaki’s got a point.
Not only is that ’it’s my playstyle’ argument kind of flimsy in that it can technically apply to anything, but it’s pretty disingenuous on it’s own terms.

What really makes the whole ’it’s a playstyle’ thing come off on the wrong foot, is that playstyles tends to involve an ongoing discussion and a meta other than ‘it exsists’ and ‘please don’t get rid of it’. Nobody’s sitting here railing against Swiftness Stability Stealth for being too overpowered. Nobody’s kicking Mesmers because of their skipping options. Nobody’s calling out Utilities, Weapon skills and Traits for not being balanced with skipping in mind.

What you do hear pretty often is whole contingents of skippers blaming the reward system and saying how fast they’d drop it like a hot potato should that change, which doesn’t exactly leave the impression of attachments to the skipping gameplay.

It’s really hard for that argument to seem genuine, and the overall impression is less the protection and growth of emergent gameplay and more trying to immunize the practice from scrutiny via political correctness.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Player Character.9467

You mean they ran through every orc patrol along the way and simply ran until the orcs gave up, even though the hobbits had no way of escaping? Must be a different LotR than the one I remember.

You mean this lord of the rings?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoLHoLwaJI