Dungeon Rewards might be a little too good.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

Don’t want to throw out giant paragraphs, but the gold reward from dungeons seem awfully good. Maybe you guys at ANet already know this. But as a player I can say its easy to pass up other stuff just to make sure the daily “easy” dungeons get done.

I’m not an economist, but I’m pretty sure inflation is a thing. Thousands of gold entering into the world each day probably isn’t helping it retain much value. This makes the gap between dungeon rewards and everything else even seem much bigger, too.

Catacombs in particular seems like it pays way too much for how quick-n-easy it is these days. Between ferocity scaling down so favorably, FGS-rush/frostbow spam, the two mid-bosses being cheeseable (corner stack, no AOEs), and the end bosses melting, even a basic pug can clear all three paths pretty quick. – Maybe drop it to 50s, or fix the bosses. This might drive off the dedicated dungeoneers , but it might become a bit more low-level friendly as a result.

Sorrow’s is another standout. Path two and three are about right. But path 1 is silly. Actually, a good chunk of the late night LFGs are now people skipping Tazza, and farming bags over and over. For the most part is comes down to the end boss being fairly easy (or skippable), and there being no need to fight the trash mobs along the route. Not quite as easy as AC or COF, but the bag thing should probably be looked into.

Anyway. Overall the rewards seem out of proportion given the challenge/length to other stuff in the game. Maybe the internal data shows otherwise, but that’s my take.

(Might be nice to have an Emyreal sink or two. Those are piling up a a wee bit, too.)

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

You literally complained about dungeon rewards being too good and used (albeit a singular) example of people not even finishing a path to get the reward you’re complaining about.

That’s it, thread over, pack your bags, etc

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I can’t even believe what I just read.

Dungeon running can barely make a fraction of the profit TP players can. And you want to reduce the already limited amount of loot we can get in game? I mean the gold reward is LIMITED to once per day. You… no. Please don’t ask for the one thing in the game that gives an okay reward to be nerfed. That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen on this forum. And that counts the feeling of felankor.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Maybe drop it to 50s, or fix the bosses. This might drive off the dedicated dungeoneers , but it might become a bit more low-level friendly as a result.

I will ignore all of the other stupid in your post and focus just on this gem. Your proposal for attracting more low-level players is to LESSEN the reward from completing the path? Outstanding. You win the internet today.

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Dungeon rewards are fine. I’d much rather have the limited system of one reward per day per path than the old dungeons, in which you literally got nothing from them and CoF p1 was king.

Also, it isn’t that the rewards are too generous, it’s that the dungeons themselves are too easy to do and skip. If you’re really that hellbent on shooting down another method of obtaining a decent amount of gold, then ask Anet to re-design the dungeons. Otherwise, no thanks, i’ll keep the current rewards.

Posted by: Majuub.6215

Majuub.6215

It’s a good thing anet doesn’t read their own forums. Otherwise they might think this guy is what the entire community thinks and we’ll lose dungeon rewards for good.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: TehFoe.6527

TehFoe.6527

Hello good Sir. I am the hiring director for Guild Wars 2. Would you like a job? Starting salary is 20k a day cuz so many people buy gems and we are rich as kitten. Also the only thing we really care about you doing is kittening over everyone who wants to actually play the game.

[AciD]
Yaks Bend

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

I seen im my ecto globe another nerf is coming …..

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

I can’t believe this thread exists..

Did you even bother to read what you posted? Absolutely ridiculous.

Maxite.6102

You can rant, pout and insult all you like. But most dungeons do take less time and skill than about any other aspect in the game , yet pay out considerably more. That hardly seems a good thing.

But I am sorry if that upsets your tinfoil hats, or “I hate this game/company yet continue to play!” sensibilities.

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

You can rant, pout and insult all you like. But most dungeons do take less time and skill than about any other aspect in the game , yet pay out considerably more. That hardly seems a good thing.

But I am sorry if that upsets your tinfoil hats, or “I hate this game/company yet continue to play!” sensibilities.

What is your point here? If you think you have to much golds than pls send to everyone ..

(edited by Allanon.9072)

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

You don’t even understand what you’re saying. Please, just think about it for a few minutes. Just try.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Do AC p1/p3, SE p1/p3, TA FFkitten HotW p1 dungeon, those “easy” dungeons, with only a group of players that has less than 1000 ap and is doing the dungeon for the first time. I want to know how long it takes till you realize you are wrong. Oh, and bonus round: No instructing the players on how to play.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I smell a troll….

Anyway. Overall the rewards seem out of proportion given the challenge/length to other stuff in the game. Maybe the internal data shows otherwise, but that’s my take.

(Might be nice to have an Emyreal sink or two. Those are piling up a a wee bit, too.)

That’s right. That’s because the rewards for doing other things in game are fairly minuscule (depending on what you are doing, of course, but loot has been a major point of contention recently).

Do AC p1/p3, SE p1/p3, TA FFkitten HotW p1 dungeon, those “easy” dungeons, with only a group of players that has less than 1000 ap and is doing the dungeon for the first time. I want to know how long it takes till you realize you are wrong. Oh, and bonus round: No instructing the players on how to play.

I love you.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Maxite.6102

Well by all means, explain why static, exploitable content should be the most rewarding.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Are you trying to trick me into getting more infractions?

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

OP, you might want to take an economics class. You obviously don’t understand inflation. Luckily for you, ANet does keep an economist on staff, and he manages the economy quite well for the most part.

Also, where exactly is all this challenging content you’d like to reward more? Fractals? TPvP? I’d be down with those. Fractals may even get them soon because of the CDI thread. What else is there? Zerg vs Zerg, karma train 2.0, temporary story? No way.

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

What is up with people wanting to nerf every way of earning gold? If anything need to be nerfed, trading post flippers would come first on my list.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

As far as dungeon rewards go… they don’t seem to bad.

Something you have to consider is that, although the gold bonus from dungeons can be fairly large, they are also fairly limited in two ways.

#1: The reward is only once per day per account. This puts a throttle on dungeon based inflation that other gold producers simply don’t get.
#2: Dungeons aren’t run by a large portion of the community. Heck, I think its a majority that avoid them…

So, while the theoretical inflation from dungeons might be high, the actual inflation is a lot lower.

This does propose the next question: if the dungeon gold reward were to contribute too much toward inflation, would there be a way to solve it? There actually might be a way to do this: Make dungeon currency more valuable by increasing the amount of things that can be bought from dungeon vendors, and/or substantially increase the number of tokens from those vendors. Then, dungeons could serve as an inexchangeable currency that would only generate profit indirectly via selling the rewards on the TP. This is like what I do with most of my tokens now, where I buy rares, salvage them for mats and ectos, then sell them on the TP.

To match the current wealth of dungeon runs without affecting inflation, you’d have to more than double the amount of tokens received. This all serves as a solution to a problem I’m not sure even exists, though.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Dungeon running can barely make a fraction of the profit TP players can. And you want to reduce the already limited amount of loot we can get in game? I mean the gold reward is LIMITED to once per day. You… no. Please don’t ask for the one thing in the game that gives an okay reward to be nerfed. That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen on this forum. And that counts the feeling of felankor.

This.

#JokeThreadOfTheYear

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Dungeon running can barely make a fraction of the profit TP players can..

You understand however that TP flipping actually removes gold from the market, while only dungeons create a lot of money out of thin air ? That is the real problem for inflation, not how many anybody earns from selling stuff to others.

So it would for example be better if a dungeon gives instead of 1 Gold 3-4 T6 mats of choice. At the moment that would be even more than 1g if you sell them but it wouldn’t create new gold.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Since when 1 gold and a crapload of blue items is considered a good reward? Especially if you happen to run it with people who refuse to listen and you spend like an hour and a half inside? =/

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

To be honest Maxite’s his post was’nt that bad. Due to the gold rewarded from dungeons the price level of for example legendaries skyrocketed. The amount of gold pumped in the Gw2 economy is much higher then the amount of gold that gets out of the game, logically resulting in higher prices which you can see now at the Legendary prices for example.

To the question wether dungeonruns earn to much cash for the work and time needed to finish the dungeon i’d also have to agree that dungeons provides more cash then for example PvP and WvW and that this is unfair.
Maxite points out the fact that the dungeons should provide less rewards, in my opinion however this isn’t really necessery. The current economy is already adapted at the high income from dungeonrunning. By removing this dungeon reward you will only create frustration because the casual players can’t get their legendary/ascended anymore

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

Living Story and patches have flooded or drained the market far more than dungeons ever did. We should remove those too.

Posted by: Deneb.2697

Deneb.2697

To be honest, all Dungeon gold rewards should be better scaled. Some path are harder and longer then other… and still reward with only 1 gold. Many path should reward with 2-3 gold. Also AC P2, that is easier than it seems once you know what to do, should rewards 2 gold.

Have you ever tought why some dungeons path are deserted? The rewards are so small for the time required to complete.

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

Dungeon running can barely make a fraction of the profit TP players can..

You understand however that TP flipping actually removes gold from the market, while only dungeons create a lot of money out of thin air ? That is the real problem for inflation, not how many anybody earns from selling stuff to others.

So it would for example be better if a dungeon gives instead of 1 Gold 3-4 T6 mats of choice. At the moment that would be even more than 1g if you sell them but it wouldn’t create new gold.

Trading is the activity that remove gold, not necessarily flipping. Flipping redistribute gold to those who doesn’t deserve it, causing inequality of wealth. Market speculation cause many high value items to be overvalued. Everyone is earning gold. More gold is always created than destroyed. When items are farmed, prices of common items goes down and price of limited high value items goes up. People earn less for what they sell and pay for more for these high valued goods. Why wouldn’t inequality of wealth not be a problem when these limited high value items goes to the highest bidders?

(edited by Saylu.8271)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well, the fact that Anet chose to nerf trains instead of dungeons does suggest that.

Dungeons may be the most individually rewarding, but you’re failing to consider what percentage of the population does dungeons vs. running trains. It doesn’t matter if a dungeon can make 100 people 1g in ten minutes if a train can make 1,000 people 20s in ten minutes (I don’t know the actual numbers, this is just for examples sake) – particularly when the former is limited to 1/day per path and the latter being repeatable until exhaustion.

Additionally, nerfing dungeons would do nothing but make dungeons friendlier; all it would do is reduce the number of people looking for speed run PUGs, make them less tolerant toward anyone who slows them down, and more prone to kicking at the slightest offense. Ultimately you would wind up running with the same people you’ve run with until now, except have an even worse experience when you try to join speed runners.

So bad idea overall.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Doesn’t matter what happens to dungeon rewards I’m probably still never going to run them.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lyralei.5920

Lyralei.5920

Well by all means, explain why static, exploitable content should be the most rewarding.

How about instead you tell us why other more difficult content shouldn’t have their rewards upped? Why does this need to be nerfed?

Asinine logic as always.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

How about instead you tell us why other more difficult content shouldn’t have their rewards upped? Why does this need to be nerfed?

Asinine logic as always.

If the game is too rewarding, then you wouldn’t buy gems to convert it to gold.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Maxite.6102

So its logical to instead bring everything else up to the match the
disproportional element. Well. That mindset certainly worked out well for Guild Wars pvp back in the day.

The new player bit can be argued many different ways. Catacombs is the Queensdale of dungeons, and it pretty much suffers similar issues when you bring up new players. Perhaps even more so, considering no other dungeon compares in reward/time/difficulty ratio.

Crying nerf is also fairly meaningless. Was HotW1 nerfed by adding the AC troll? Was SE nerfed by making the blockades unavoidable? TA-Foward, with the silly wall-climb? Most dungeons have similar things these days. All of which decrease the challenge, speed up the run, and further that reward gap.

Right now, a number of dungeon bosses do not use their most devastating abilities if a group stacks. That is silly, and the very definition of exploiting a weak AI. Why exactly would you want this to continue, let alone be the most rewarding venue of play? “Stack in corner, collect gold” is a fairly crappy game.

Ignoring the poorly worded insults. ANet has the data. They can and will do what they will with the rates. What I’m telling them is that as a player, this too easy and too good to pass up. And that raises some pretty severe concerns about the lifespan of the game.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

please give us examples of bosses that don’t use their mechanics if a party is stacked. I always see people say this yet they never give examples.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Dungeons take less skill than spamming 1 every 15 minutes on the world boss train?

Really?

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

Seriously, lets ditch this ridiculous thread.

What a joke.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I believe Maxite is exaggerating a bit and disagree with him for the most part (no offense intended) but to be fair, the avoided paths’s gold reward should be way higher than currently. While it’s OK that not all paths are equally difficult or lengthy, the reward should be proportionate. Thus, while I don’t believe the reward for the “easy” paths should be less than one gold, certainly the avoided path’s rewards should be much higher, and the reason for them being avoided in the first place studied.

(Of course it’s OK to play for fun! I like doing the less profitable paths when I have the time just because myself. However, for many players, the rewards matters, and I am convinced that the avoided paths should have way more “allure” to them, especially if they take longer or are significantly harder. I like doing SE 2, for instance-I do find it “fun”-but the reward is not proportionate to SE 1 at all.)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Dungeon rewards are fine, if you take an average group say it takes them 10-15 mins per path, allowing for errors etc, you can run say, AC p1/2, hotw P1, CoF P1,2 in say 90 mins, this would get you about 5-7gold + drops

I mapped fireheart rise last night with a toon who had never stepped foot in there, level 80, with 330% MF after 90 mins the map was complete, I killed everything I came across and then sold everything off, I got 5g70s ( rounded up ) 2g30s of that was from the exotic in the map completion chest, so the time spent is nearly the same,

The only people that could yield more from dungeons are maybe the elite speed clear groups, but you cannot change an entire dungeon rewards on a very very small group of people,

Furthermore, those who run the dungeons only, tend to have to buy all the Mats they need for crafting etc, thus spending the gold, where as the PvE open world player makes less gold, but gets more mats, id say on average its about the same.

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

Last Dungeon I did was impossible to get through. So if the reward is good at the end then its a good reason. I have never been able to get through one. Maybe cause I won’t run with anyone but my wife cause everyone else just takes all the loot before I can actually get to it. I can’t stay on my feet long enough and not a soul helps other players out they just run off do what they want and leave people behind. So that just adds to the things i do not do in game…added to the list with WvW PvP and joining any other guilds other then my own that only has myself and my wife and two of our friends that do not play no more.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Last thing this game needs is more nerfs, thank you.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

I 99% agree with that. The 1% being your ire towards Felankor!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m going to call it. This guy is obviously a TP baron who is scared that other methods in the game might compete with the money he is making playing the TP. If they TP cartel can get every other gold making method nerfed then they will literally own everything the game.

Maxite.6102

please give us examples of bosses that don’t use their mechanics if a party is stacked. I always see people say this yet they never give examples.

Volkov is the most glaring one. But pretty much everything in AC comes to mind offhand. I’d include Fyonna, the destroyer, Aldus, tree bosses, Sorge and so on, but those could be chalked up to line of sight issues.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I 99% agree with that. The 1% being your ire towards Felankor!

There was also this, which I liked almost as much as Felankor.

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m not agreeing DG rewards are too good, in fact, rewards for beating stuff like Arah or TA Aether is horribly underwhelming.

But TP players make more money than anyone else in any MMO, because unlike PvEing, you can also make losses. In most cases, it also requires a particular set of skills to turn it into a living instead of just side profit in most games, which most players don’t have.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Oh wow, I do remember that! Man, last time I saw something like that was in Runescape over a decade ago! A guy was running a brothel in one of the towns!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Volkov is the most glaring one.

actually he has ranged and melee mechanics. at range he will burrow and one-shot you, in melee he applies massive bleeds. this isn’t negating mechanics, this is a boss adapting to your proximity.

Fyonna

if you stack in a corner she just jumps backwards in to the wall. still using her mechanic.

the destroyer

evolved or destroyer of worlds? they both fully use their mechanics.

Aldus

uses all of his mechanics when stacked.

tree bosse

use all of their mechanics when stacked.

Sorge

no idea, don’t do hotw p2/3.

So 5/6 of the bosses you mentioned aren’t even negated by stacking. try again please.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’m not agreeing DG rewards are too good, in fact, rewards for beating stuff like Arah or TA Aether is horribly underwhelming.

But TP players make more money than anyone else in any MMO, because unlike PvEing, you can also make losses.

I’m not going to pretend like I know about TP flipping or whatever but what I do know is that Nerfing dungeon rewards is probably the worst idea ever. Because it’s players making gold from applying teamwork and skill to playing the actual game.

Meh. Whatever. Dumb thread is dumb.

[ARES]

Xae Isareth.1364

But TP players make more money than anyone else in any MMO, because unlike PvEing, you can also make losses.

I’m not going to pretend like I know about TP flipping or whatever but what I do know is that Nerfing dungeon rewards is probably the worst idea ever. Because it’s players making gold from applying teamwork and skill to playing the actual game.

Of course it’s dumb. But he does have a point though.. in a way.

For example, why the heck does AC3 have the same payout as Arah3. AC3 is a 15mins < faceroll where every fight consists of stack>faceroll>win or just ‘we got an ele’ and instawin, Arah3 does actually take a bit of skill.

Lilith Ajit.6173

For example, why the heck does AC3 have the same payout as Arah3. AC3 is a 15mins < faceroll where every fight consists of stack>faceroll>win or just ‘we got an ele’ and instawin, Arah3 does actually take a bit of skill.

Then Arah 3 should have a better gold reward, instead of AC having less. Those gold rewards were established too long ago. They established them when cof was farmed and the new AC was complained about. There’s the issue. The gold rewards have not kept up with the changes in the dungeons and within the community.

[ARES]

Xae Isareth.1364

Then Arah 3 should have a better gold reward, instead of AC having less. Those gold rewards were established too long ago. They established them when cof was farmed and the new AC was complained about. There’s the issue. The gold rewards have not kept up with the changes in the dungeons and within the community.

I’m still into the idea of giving dungeons unique tradable drops (which you have a chance to actually see dropping in this lifetime), instead of just upping the gold reward on everything, because in the famous words of our Pact Marshall: ‘(just adding more hold into the economy) won’t end well’.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’m still into the idea of giving dungeons unique tradable drops (which you have a chance to actually see dropping in this lifetime), instead of just upping the gold reward on everything, because in the famous words of our Pact Marshall: ‘(just adding more hold into the economy) won’t end well’.

Well look at the Aetherpath drops and fractal weapons. They’re highly sought after… but. Rng is just a terrible way to reward players. There has to be a static reward. But I’m all for unique drops in addition to existing gold rewards.

However… look at dungeon recipes. The right ones can make dedicated lucky dungeon runners filthy rich. So at least there are those.

[ARES]