Dungeons : solo mode

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

well, even with all the friendly offers, i would still like to do a dungeon solo.
and not to step on ppl’s toes but not the way it currently is, one that is done on my own pace and my own difficulty.
i really don’t mind if the reward is less then normal, heck, remove any chance of ascended materials.
i just would like to do a dungeon without a constant overflow of elite and champion enemies, normal and veteran enemies is good enough for me.

they can always compromise this, have an option for 5-player groups to make the dungeons really hard, as in close to impossible to do.
in return the drops are really good and the end-dungeon chest doubles everything that drops including the dungeon tokens, so there is the mode to take it easy and a mode that pushes ppl to the limit.

Posted by: Imarion.1650

Imarion.1650

I thought about a solution.

At the entrance, 4 options (instead of the 2 we have now):
Story – scaled
Story – not scaled
Exploration – scaled
Exploration – not scaled

Scaled= monsters levels and dungeon difficulty scaled on the group size and level.
Not scaled= as it is now.

Imarion

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I have to be honest, I am against a solo mode.
I think the whole point of dungeons is to provide content that requires group co-ordination and presents a challenge.
Solo modes would just divide the player-base.
My advice would be to just watch any cut-scenes you miss on youtube, it doesn’t really detract anything from the dungeon if you watch them before / after

The playerbase is already divided. On the one hand you have your elitists, on the other, everyone else. It also has another division as well. Pvp and Pve players. Every MMO is like this. Has been since I first started playing them.

I think you’d find there’s a lot more than 2 divisions of players. There are elitists, but it’s not just everyone else after that. In that other group you have the opposite extreme of white knights who go out of their way to harass and demonize anyone trying to play at a higher level than they are capable of. You’re not necessarily an elitist just because you try to maximize your efforts.

I go full zerk/assassin on my characters using as close to meta as I feel comfortable in any given situation. That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy playing with people of various backgrounds and play styles. I ran a COEp1 last night with an obviously non meta group, I was an Engi with a mesmer and guard int he party and I was the only one to bring Reflects and the only one in melee range for some encounters. We slowly trudged our way through and I honestly had fun, I had to laugh in whispers with a buddy about it, but I made no complaints as again, it was a fun change of pace.

So does wanting challenge, and trying to play to the best of my ability make me an Elitist? or am I one of everyone else, including the people who go into dungeon selling groups just to grief them?

Or, are there a lot more categories of players than just 2?

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Did you use fortified turrets? Is viable?
I asked about reflects on engi subforum, unfortunatly I have not been able to play since then

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I think the whole point of dungeons is to provide content that requires group co-ordination and presents a challenge.
My advice would be to just watch any cut-scenes you miss on youtube, it doesn’t really detract anything from the dungeon if you watch them before / after

The playerbase is already divided. On the one hand you have your elitists, on the other, everyone else. It also has another division as well. Pvp and Pve players. Every MMO is like this. Has been since I first started playing them.

I think you’d find there’s a lot more than 2 divisions of players. There are elitists, but it’s not just everyone else after that. In that other group you have the opposite extreme of white knights who go out of their way to harass and demonize anyone trying to play at a higher level than they are capable of. You’re not necessarily an elitist just because you try to maximize your efforts.

I go full zerk/assassin on my characters using as close to meta as I feel comfortable in any given situation. That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy playing with people of various backgrounds and play styles. I ran a COEp1 last night with an obviously non meta group, I was an Engi with a mesmer and guard int he party and I was the only one to bring Reflects and the only one in melee range for some encounters. We slowly trudged our way through and I honestly had fun, I had to laugh in whispers with a buddy about it, but I made no complaints as again, it was a fun change of pace.

So does wanting challenge, and trying to play to the best of my ability make me an Elitist? or am I one of everyone else, including the people who go into dungeon selling groups just to grief them?

Or, are there a lot more categories of players than just 2?

I wasn’t trying to be insulting. I was only using those groups as an example of how the community is already divided. That’s all.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I don’t see why the story mode dungeons can’t be made solo-able. Scale it to a single player, or give us NPC helpers to explain mechanics and help out where needed. And if it’s scaled for one player and you have friends help out, what’s the harm? That’s pretty much how the entire personal story is structured. Loot is fixed for other story instances, so make it work the same for the story mode dungeon.

I am not in favor of scaling the explorable dungeons, but if more people had the option to run the story in a safe setting at their own pace, then I think they’d be more comfortable running the explorable without fear of being called out for whatever. Make a story option for each path, make it replayable and have the NPCs explain the basic mechanics as you go.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

The people who would use the solo mode currently aren’t doing dungeons at all, so I’m not seeing how it’d divide anything – unless the rewards for soloing were too high.

Imarion.1650

The people who would use the solo mode currently aren’t doing dungeons at all, so I’m not seeing how it’d divide anything – unless the rewards for soloing were too high.

Indeed story mode requirement is one part of what drove me away from doing dungeons.
After having solo the first 2, I had the exceptional opportunity to do a “tour” with some guildmates. We did the next 3 dungeons in story. Now I’m still blocked at the last 2.

I learned that we have to do story mode for every character. If that’s true then this still hugely hinders my presence in dungeons.
Thankfully it unlocked the pvp tracks for every character at least.

Imarion

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I have yet to understand why all content isn’t designed to scale based on players. My wife has wanted to do dungeons and frankly the only reason we haven’t is that she is too shy to do so and feels she doesn’t have the reflexes to be very good at it. Since we pretty much play the two of us and have since we met in Asheron’s Call it would be great to see that content in GW2. I would try with henchmen tomorrow if it was available and frankly the tech is there considering the NPC’s like Rox and Belinda etc rez you in the LW battles.

I’ve always said limiting content is self defeating and shortens the life of an MMO. Open things up to all sizes of groups and this will extend the shelf life of existing content.

Great post.

On topic I’ve never had this issue. I’m guessing you have just had bad luck OP. I’ve always thought it to be common etiquette to say hey and find out where everyone is at before doing the dungeon which, more often than not, reveals any players who want to watch the cuts and take their time.

This is totally negating any speed-clear groups. I’m wondering if by accident or maybe miss-communication you are joining such groups?

I have never been kicked from a normal group for watching a cut and hey, if you are who would want to play with those kind of kittens anyway.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

A lot of content already is soloable (including some dungeons). I’m not sure more soloable content is the answer.

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

wont happen. anet likes 5-100 people pressing the 1 key endlessly.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Kurogami.9210

Kurogami.9210

Solo-paths would actually be quite nice for people who don’t have the time or patience to look for a good group, although I would suggest to reduce the rewards so that groups stay a worthwhile alternative.

After all, what is the point of dungeons intertwining with the story if there are hardly any groups that would take you with them if you aren’t lvl 80 with at least exotic gear? Solo paths would make them more accessible for people who usually don’t do dungeon runs.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I definitely support the idea of the Story Mode dungeon being solo-able, as long as rewards are kept low. Back when there was a Suggestion subforum I asked a similar question. Though I don’t know if attitudes have changed since a year plus has passed, it seemed to appeal to some.

Story Mode dungeons = solo-able

old quote:
“I hope this is not an infinitely discussed topic. If so I apologize in advance.
I have seen many people frustrated with trying to find others to join a story mode dungeon. The rewards are a bit dismal for it to be something others want to do for any other reason than to help out someone.
This should be reward enough but we all know that is not the case.
I wanted to suggest that by making the storymode dungeon solo-able while still providing low rewards, it will provide many players with a much needed introduction to the particular dungeon.
The player can take their time learning the mechanics of the dungeon without the pressure to finish fast or all at one time. Meaning if RL takes them away in the middle they have to start over but no one else is penalized.
I don’t know if this is even possible but thought it was worth a mention.
Explorable mode is all that anyone wants to do for its rewards. And storymode would seem the perfect place to introduce a person to a dungeon’s particular mechanics without all the pressure.
EDIT: Just to be clear I don’t want explorable mode to be solo-able; only story mode.
Feel free to point out all that is wrong with this suggestion.” /end quote

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Terrin.2685

Terrin.2685

Might I suggest allowing us to use our other characters as mercenaries in the same fashion we did in Guild Wars but limited to the dungeons.

It would allow people to play the dungeons at their own pace.

It would allow us to avoid the large number of people to see MMO dungeons as a job to be completed as fast as possible. I don’t know about you but I don’t have much fun being around these people.

It might encourage some people to create more characters. I’m set with three but would bump it up to five if I could use them as mercenaries.

You might be able to add dungeons to the living world again. I remember in season one the first week was high activity in the new dungeon but the second week was mostly a ghost town since those who wanted to do it had trouble finding a team.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Might I suggest allowing us to use our other characters as mercenaries in the same fashion we did in Guild Wars but limited to the dungeons.

It would allow people to play the dungeons at their own pace.

It would allow us to avoid the large number of people to see MMO dungeons as a job to be completed as fast as possible. I don’t know about you but I don’t have much fun being around these people.

It might encourage some people to create more characters. I’m set with three but would bump it up to five if I could use them as mercenaries.

You might be able to add dungeons to the living world again. I remember in season one the first week was high activity in the new dungeon but the second week was mostly a ghost town since those who wanted to do it had trouble finding a team.

I love having my alts as Mercs in GW1.

+100

Posted by: AlexVv.3965

AlexVv.3965

hi , as the title says it would be nice to add solo mode for dungeons

I agree that a great idea.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Plenty of other titles actually have solo dungeons in various forms. They even have 2-3 man scalable ones. LOTRO, Rift, WoW all doing great with them, I don’t think you’ll see them here however not because it’s not a great idea and not because it hasn’t already been suggested in the suggestions folder some time ago, but because they couldn’t monetize it. A good example of this would be how they made it so that unless you login and do a certain number of quests when they released LS 2 missions, you will have to pay 200 gems to unlock them. See where this is heading? One can hope but I’m just not certain what the goals are here anymore.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I don’t think you’ll see them here however not because it’s not a great idea and not because it hasn’t already been suggested in the suggestions folder some time ago, but because they couldn’t monetize it.

They most certainly could monetize it, if they took the same direction as with the mercenaries in GW1 (who were also sold for real money). First the ability for a mercenary and secondly a possible character slot…

Imarion.1650

Since my previous posts I did again Ascalon and Caudecus stories in solo.
And, surprisingly, I got some fun doing so.
If only it would last the same amount of time as if I would be in a group (took me one hour, while a group can do that in 30min or even less, right ?).

I tried Ascalon P1 in solo but could not do it. As I said earlier, I would love to be able to do it

Imarion

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I would like to see a solo mode (or solo+heroes/mercs mode) for dungeons as well. To the people that say that such a mode would split the player base, how would it? People who want to run the dungeons solo at their own pace (rather than one dictated by speedrunners with ridiculous gear and AP requirements) are the same people who currently refuse to run the dungeons at all, either because they cannot commit to the time needed to run them properly, or simply because they find themselves locked out by self-appointed gatekeepers demanding those silly requirements I just mentioned.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Greyrebel.7492

Greyrebel.7492

well i realy hope they add solo mode at that big upcoming patch and features !

We are one , and one is all

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

well i realy hope they add solo mode at that big upcoming patch and features !

They won’t.
Issue #1: Dungeons are neglected for a while.
Issue #2: You can solo almost all of them … if you are good enough.

Posted by: Lady J.3547

Lady J.3547

I agree completely. There is wonderful lore in the dungeons and I never get to finish reading it. I would love to be able to enjoy the dungeons. Just make them have a solo player mode for people who actually LIKE the lore.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Just solo the dungeon on your own, find other people who like the lore as much as you do, or watch youtube videos of the cutscenes/dialog. There’s absolutely no need for ANET to spend any time here. Stop being so helpless, and help yourself.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

lore in dungeons are pretty much irrelevant at this point. if you’re craving some solo instances but don’t have the ability/dedication to figure out the current dungeons, you’re in luck. Anet caters to your needs with every update: living story.

if Anet decides that they want to get back to developing dungeons (HAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA), it is my opinion that they should always be designed with a team setting. Difficulty and all. Multiplayer-puzzles aside, if you have the dedication, you will overcome that difficulty and have a better feeling of accomplishment in the solo when you do complete it.