Encouraging Multi-class Dungeon Play

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Aura of Sacrifice.3457

Aura of Sacrifice.3457

Aura of Sacrifice here.
Idea:
Dungeon Magic Find should be boosted based on the diversity of classes attending.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

What is this I don’t even

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s an attempt to incentivize diversity in party builds by increasing the likelihood of valuable items dropping from mobs in dungeons, otherwise known as a forlorn hope.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

It won’t even put a dent on the trinity. Magic Find will insignificantly increase the likelihood of already very rare drops.

Players will still want to speedrun dungeons for tokens and money from killing bosses and completing it.

PS. I despise MF. It’s in my firm belief that it should only exist in the open world where you solo.

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

You already have fairly diverse teams.. You are now seeing Mesmer/2 Warriors/Ele/Guard.. the problem is it’s still the same classes everytime.

If you want diversity you either need to give the underdog class, something that makes them as useful as the main classes. Or change the boss dynamics so they are useful.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Or change the boss dynamics so they are useful.

We’ve been through this debate plenty of time. The fact is that the best speedrun classes also have some of the best CC of the game so even making it CC intensive would not change group set ups. Necro and rangers in particular are the two classes that need some love. Even if you wanted a lot of blind for eg you still have no reason to take a necro when a thief has higher dps and can maintain perma blind, when an ele has blind included in the lightning hammer auto chain, when the dps guard can bring a lot of blind etc. Fact is most of the utility a necro and ranger can bring won’t make up for the fact that they suck at everything else.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Zelothe.9234

Zelothe.9234

I agree with Nikaido. But original post is a very bad suggestion, what if I have a bunch of friends who happen to be 2 rangers and 2 thieves or even 4 of the same class, should I be penalized for this group setup, also this is very much against the design philosophy of take the person you want not the class which was implemented very early in the design process to get rid of the traditional trinity. The fact that a new trinity of Warr, Mesm, Guard has been born in GW2 is a question of PvE balance and should be remedied through a class and skill balance changes not through some quirky forced rainbow class setup. (Also I hope that the upcoming update fixes some of this as I am sick of people asking for zerk warrs for every dungeon run)

Some people said they didn’t want their players to grind. To which I reply try getting a
legendary weapon in your game without grinding, exploiting, incredible luck, spending
real money or having 100 guildies behind you…

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I agree with Nikaido. But original post is a very bad suggestion, what if I have a bunch of friends who happen to be 2 rangers and 2 thieves or even 4 of the same class, should I be penalized for this group setup, also this is very much against the design philosophy of take the person you want not the class which was implemented very early in the design process to get rid of the traditional trinity. The fact that a new trinity of Warr, Mesm, Guard has been born in GW2 is a question of PvE balance and should be remedied through a class and skill balance changes not through some quirky forced rainbow class setup. (Also I hope that the upcoming update fixes some of this as I am sick of people asking for zerk warrs for every dungeon run)

If every class offered the exact same thing and group composition wasn’t a factor, what would be the point of different classes? In an environment where variety is a factor, there will always be something optimal to pick. That’s just reality.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Yenn.9185

^^ I don’t know what you mean by “exact same thing,” but if I understand correctly you mean fulfilling roles. For example, what warrior bring to the party is arguably “damage.” (there are banners/vuln, but we’ll disregard those for argument’s sake).

If Anet’s plan holds true, other non-warrior class built for damage, fulfilling the role DPS in a party, should be able to match those of warrior. This doesn’t mean a guardian can since it’s an innately defensive class. IE. thief and yet it’s regarded as inferior of that of warrior in damage dealing. What about ranger, where does it fit? Engi? Necro?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

^^ I don’t know what you mean by “exact same thing,” but if I understand correctly you mean fulfilling roles. For example, what warrior bring to the party is arguably “damage.” (there are banners/vuln, but we’ll disregard those for argument’s sake).

If Anet’s plan holds true, other non-warrior class built for damage, fulfilling the role DPS in a party, should be able to match those of warrior. This doesn’t mean a guardian can since it’s an innately defensive class. IE. thief and yet it’s regarded as inferior of that of warrior in damage dealing. What about ranger, where does it fit? Engi? Necro?

True balance will never exist, and theorycrafters will always find the best setup (even if it’s only 0,0000001% better), since classes aren’t equal. No, not even in the same roles. They can’t be equal, even if the margin is extremely low (in this case it isn’t) and devs can try to reduce the disparity. The only way to achieve perfect balance is to remove any variety and give everyone the same skills. That was it.

Some want to play the strongest class in the most optimized gear possible, even if it’s just a small increase (and it isn’t). Nobody can force things down other people’s throats: if they don’t want to take a suboptimal class, it’s their decision and it deserves respect. Same with any other team. I have the right to ask for a specific party if I don’t break any rule while doing so. Anyone has.
^ a thought about all these nonsense suggestions to force people into something they don’t want. It won’t work.
P.S. One day I’ll make a post that requires every pug joining to have pink armor, else they get a kick. Just because I’m that stubborn.

Yenn.9185

True balance doesn’t exists assuming we are doing the same content. Admittedly 4 warriors 1 mes is the perfect way of doing CoF1, which is fine. But we have 9 dungeons which can all be optimally tackled using just 3 classes. Grab your melee, stack and burn it down. Other classes that excels at condition damage, range or control are left behind.

I think the problem lies on both class balance and dungeon design. Don’t get me wrong, I have almost 6 80’s and I like smooth runs. I don’t farm CoF though.

(edited by Yenn.9185)

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I imagine it would then just be – Warrior, Guard, Mes, Ele, Engie/Thief. Necro and Ranger would still be left out because they are useless.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I imagine it would then just be – Warrior, Guard, Mes, Ele, Engie/Thief. Necro and Ranger would still be left out because they are useless.

It’s probably going to change to this on our runs anyway.

We’re already running Guard, Ele, 2 War, Mesmer. One of those warriors can be replaced by a competent thief any time and with the update to eles, we might change to Guardian, 2 ele, War, Mes instead.

Although the theorycrafting and build making is mainly going to be up to Nikaido and the others, because I’m leaving till August.

Which is sad though, I like theorycrafting…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

It’s probably going to change to this on our runs anyway.

We’re already running Guard, Ele, 2 War, Mesmer. One of those warriors can be replaced by a competent thief any time and with the update to eles, we might change to Guardian, 2 ele, War, Mes instead.

Although the theorycrafting and build making is mainly going to be up to Nikaido and the others, because I’m leaving till August.

Which is sad though, I like theorycrafting…

Yarp, Warrior’s DPS is taking a small hit, might be enough to warrant swapping us out for a thief or DPS guard. Haha whilst I doubt I’ll be putting as much thought and effort into it as you guys I’m looking forward to today/tomorrow’s patch (it’s almost the 26th here, I forget how far behind America is :P

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Yarp, Warrior’s DPS is taking a small hit, might be enough to warrant swapping us out for a thief or DPS guard. Haha whilst I doubt I’ll be putting as much thought and effort into it as you guys I’m looking forward to today/tomorrow’s patch (it’s almost the 26th here, I forget how far behind America is :P

The Axe autoattack chain’s DPS was increased overall I believe, but it depends on Triple Chop (which isn’t really a problem). You’ve also got access to Heightened Focus with an Axe build, and Axe abilities have cooldown reduction when traited accordingly, and you can use Eviscerate a bit more throughout fights and gain Adrenaline back fairly quickly. So no, Warrior DPS isn’t really taking a hit. Warriors also bring party-wide Fury and Might (as well as Banners) so I don’t see Thieves and Guardians replacing them.

Brazil

Posted by: Konu.1826

Konu.1826

The Axe autoattack chain’s DPS was increased overall I believe, but it depends on Triple Chop (which isn’t really a problem). You’ve also got access to Heightened Focus with an Axe build, and Axe abilities have cooldown reduction when traited accordingly, and you can use Eviscerate a bit more throughout fights and gain Adrenaline back fairly quickly. So no, Warrior DPS isn’t really taking a hit. Warriors also bring party-wide Fury and Might (as well as Banners) so I don’t see Thieves and Guardians replacing them.

Did you consider you would lose Attack of Opportunity (or Berserker’s Power) if you choose to go deep in discipline for Heightened Focus? I doubt I will want to take that trade myself but we will see.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

It won’t even put a dent on the trinity. Magic Find will insignificantly increase the likelihood of already very rare drops.

Give 1000% MF per class.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Ok, lets run 1 Thief, 1 Warrior, 1 Mesmer, 1 Guardian and 1 LH Ele.
Fail.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Did you consider you would lose Attack of Opportunity (or Berserker’s Power) if you choose to go deep in discipline for Heightened Focus? I doubt I will want to take that trade myself but we will see.

30/0/0/10/30 doesn’t lose Berserker’s Power.

Brazil

Bright.9160

Dunno, wouldn’t 30/10/0/0/30 be more useful for the vuln stacking?

You’ll generally only have Fury, Might and Protection up 100%, with 1 or 2 occasional extra boons. So that’s 6-10% extra damage, for you personally.

Whereas, if you can’t maintain 25 vulnerability stacks, you lose those damage % over the whole party.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Dunno, wouldn’t 30/10/0/0/30 be more useful for the vuln stacking?

You’ll generally only have Fury, Might and Protection up 100%, with 1 or 2 occasional extra boons. So that’s 6-10% extra damage, for you personally.

Whereas, if you can’t maintain 25 vulnerability stacks, you lose those damage % over the whole party.

Empowered Allies and Empower. The Guardian build I’m messing with should be able to maintain vulnerability.

Brazil

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

hmm. would the 30/0/0/10/30 build be better then the 30/25/0/10/5 build? since you lose the 10% dmg from the arms line for some crit chance, crit dmg and cool down reduction. is that really worth? (have not tested so i have actually no idea >.<)

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Bright.9160

Empowered Allies and Empower. The Guardian build I’m messing with should be able to maintain vulnerability.

I’m guessing you’re running 15 in Zeal then.

We’re currently working with a 0/15/0/25/30 build (props to Nikaido) to spam Fire Fields for our ele.

Dunno if we’re losing vulnerability too much though, people should test that…

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

We’re currently working with a 0/15/0/25/30 build (props to Nikaido) to spam Fire Fields for our ele.

Dont think we are. The warrior without OMM can maintain 10-14 on his own anyways. So with the rest of the group should be fine i think.

Dr Winston | [DnT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

30/30/0/0/10

Brazil

Nikaido.3457

30/30/0/0/10

^
Troll.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

30/30/0/0/10

^
Troll.

No. Hammer and Sword / Focus.

Brazil

Bright.9160

30/30/0/0/10

^
Troll.

Brasil? No… He would never try to troll us.

Nikaido.3457

So I take it you are going balls deep into mesmer cond removal ? Which would mean, having to take mesmers for FOTM.. I’d rather take another war or guard.

I’d rather think you’re trolling.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

So I take it you are going balls deep into mesmer cond removal ? Which would mean, having to take mesmers for FOTM.. I’d rather take another war or guard.

I’d rather think you’re trolling.

Shattered Conditions is only 5 extra trait points. I don’t do Fractals at all anymore, though, but I’ve never had a problem with Mesmers. I think they are fine.

Brazil

Bright.9160

swiftpaw.6397

Magic find op.

/15

Nikaido.3457

You had me at revenge of the fallen.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

You had me at revenge of the fallen.

That definitely isn’t my build.

Brazil

swiftpaw.6397

You laugh now Bright, but this build will annihilate everything you hold dear, it will kittenfury all over your sorry excuse for guardian builds.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

rangers and necros will still be relatively useless. engineers are… engineers. optimized team comps will still stick to a certain meta

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Konu.1826

Konu.1826

I never said you would have to give up both, just that you will have to give up either Attack of opportunity or Berserker’s power in order to get Heightened focus. In your example you are losing Attack of opportunity.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I never said you would have to give up both, just that you will have to give up either Attack of opportunity or Berserker’s power in order to get Heightened focus. In your example you are losing Attack of opportunity.

Yeah. I’m going to have to see about reworking builds. Mainly because Axe is boring.

Brazil

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

PVP skill splits. There’s a Reason GW1 had them (it was the dungeons)
/thread

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

What warriors currently need are useful adept traits in Strength and Discipline…
This update ridiculously favors pure axe builds, traitwise.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Bright.9160

What warriors currently need are useful adept traits in Strength and Discipline…
This update ridiculously favors pure axe builds, traitwise.

You wanna run your sword build, huh?

swiftpaw.6397

/thread

^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry but Anet prefers to be the special snowflake game, they don’t need silly things like common sense pffft.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

/thread

^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry but Anet prefers to be the special snowflake game, they don’t need silly things like common sense pffft.

Snowflakes… I remember Wintersday.

Brazil

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Icy….wut u did ther