Future of Dungeons and Fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

I’ve looked around for information and haven’t found much, so I’m curious: do we have any information on what ArenaNet’s plans are for dungeons and fractals going forward? I know there won’t be new dungeons when Heart of Thorns releases, which is disappointing, but will there ever be new dungeons? Are there plans to release new fractals at any point?

I think there’s a lot of potential in GW2 PvE, especially with the changes to Defiant and some of the abilities coming in HoT’s elite specs, but we’ll need new group PvE content to really realize that potential.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

Dungeons are great, and I will let you finish, but we have the best esports of all time !

Posted by: araskell.9018

araskell.9018

Well, Anet didn’t annouce any new dungeons or fractals at this point, but there is going to be a Fractal Mastery Track with HoT. So we will get something fractal related. If that is going to be new fractals, more levels (higher that 50), better rewards, etc… nobody knows at the moment.

Lunas Deathwish | FA WvW – [BOMB]

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Just like that fractal leaderboard?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Just like that fractal leaderboard?

They’re still on the table, even though I made them fall quite a few times while trying to put my feet up…

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I know there won’t be new dungeons when Heart of Thorns releases…

Where have they said this?

I keep seeing people say this, but the only thing they provide is an interview stating that they won’t be making any big changes to the current dungeons.

On topic though:

With the Fractal masteries, I’d be surprised if they didn’t add new Fractals.

As well as this, while the ‘challenging group content’ hasn’t been revealed, I’d say there’s a pretty high chance that it’ll be instanced content of some sort given Colin’s comments here.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I know there won’t be new dungeons when Heart of Thorns releases…

Where have they said this?

I keep seeing people say this, but the only thing they provide is an interview stating that they won’t be making any big changes to the current dungeons.

They never said it, but Robert isn’t with Anet anymore and they eliminated the old dungeon dev team. Since then, not a single update to dungeon so people doudt that will change suddently after almost 2 years of drought.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Here’s all we know:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Very-disappointing-news-for-you-guys

So no. Dungeons and fractals are a ‘possible but not likely’ area for ArenaNet to develop. They don’t want to put developer time towards making new ones (“Aetherpath was too much work”), and they’ll only step in to change something when there’s a game-breaking exploit.

Not only do they say “no big changes to current dungeons”, but also “no plans to make more at this point.” Granted, this was a while ago, but they certainly don’t seem to even be concerned with maintaining or supporting the content or the community when it comes to current dungeon issues either.

Once they announce what the “Challenging Group Content” for HoT is, we’ll have a stronger idea of where they intend to go with this. But looking at the last 2+ years of neglect and stagnation for instanced PvE in this game, those of us who have been paying attention don’t have a lot of hope, so I wouldn’t expect much.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Agent Noun.7350

Here’s all we know:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Very-disappointing-news-for-you-guys

So no. Dungeons and fractals are a ‘possible but not likely’ area for ArenaNet to develop. They don’t want to put developer time towards making new ones (“Aetherpath was too much work”), and they’ll only step in to change something when there’s a game-breaking exploit.

Not only do they say “no big changes to current dungeons”, but also “no plans to make more at this point.” Granted, this was a while ago, but they certainly don’t seem to even be concerned with maintaining or supporting the content or the community when it comes to current dungeon issues either.

Once they announce what the “Challenging Group Content” for HoT is, we’ll have a stronger idea of where they intend to go with this. But looking at the last 2+ years of neglect and stagnation for instanced PvE in this game, those of us who have been paying attention don’t have a lot of hope, so I wouldn’t expect much.

It might be worth noting that that quote is from before the September 2014 Feature Pack, if I remember correctly. They really were focusing on smaller quality-of-life changes (and China) at that time.

By the time HoT releases, it will have been over a year since then, so hopefully things have started to shift a bit.

dlonie.6547

Perhaps internally, but if so, they’ve been hiding any kittens they give towards instanced PvE very well :-P

Agent Noun.7350

Yeah, true.

I really want to know what this promised “challenging group content” will be. There’s a lot of potential in this game’s PvE if they just apply the lessons they’ve learned. I mean, hell, look how well people responded to some of the Living World season 1 dungeons, like the Molten Facility. They can make fun, enjoyable PvE and I think they even know how.

dlonie.6547

The team that made the original dungeons (and LS S1 dungeons) has been disbanded, and ArenaNet laid-off the team lead years ago.

So while they definitely used to know how to make these instances and had a team that showed a lot of promise for iterating them into something godkitten ed amazing, I’m not sure that possibility is still on the table.

Dismantling the dungeon team and getting rid of their lead was a conscious decision by the game designers and management, as has been the absolute neglect of dungeons since. It’s hard to believe that HoT will deliver anything for dungeon lovers — when you look at where we’ve been, it’s plain to see where we’re going.

I really don’t like being the negative raincloud, but I’ve held out hope that something good would happen for this community for far too long, and don’t want to see anyone else wasting their time waiting for something that’s not even a possibility. ArenaNet will never publicly announce that they’ve abandoned this area of their game, but the neglect and silence on the subject certainly aren’t giving us any reasons to hope for improvements.

In fact, in the lead up to HoT, they seem to be deliberately avoiding generating any instanced-PvE hype. If they have anything planned, it’s a tentative plan at best and will be the first deliverable to get cut when time starts running short — hence why they don’t want to say anything about it. They want the option to say “See? Clearing guild halls! Challenging group content!” when they run out of time to put in an actual team-based, replayable instanced challenge.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Looking at the content they’ve created in the past couple years, chances are “challenging group content” is VW-type gameplay: start taxiing now, stand here, don’t stand there, hit 1.