Gauging Interest: PUG Tournament

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I might have misread but how exactly does this idea of a tournament eliminate RNG?

I mainly meant that as:

Players would probably be better than your normal pug. So you wouldn’t be having a brand new player in your group.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: GiannisPapapa.4961

GiannisPapapa.4961

So you are basically saying that it depends on the individual skill level of the somewhat experienced dungeon runner? I still fail to comprehend how the skill level of 1/5th of the group matters that much. Lets say you have one experienced player able to solo the certain dungeon mixed with 4 others , wont the result of the run heavily depend on those 4 other people?

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

Those are pretty interesting Ideas Iris. I would prefer 1 fixed streamer because if everyone would have to be able to stream it might scare potential participants!

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Oh, participants don’t have to stream. But, they are encouraged to volunteer for streaming. If you are a streamer, here are some benefits:

• Instant publishment to your stream. Participating in a tournament is always a hotter topic than some daily zerging/farming/dungeon tour.
  • You may earn a (small) bonus prize from our generous sponsors.
    From the host’s point of view, if you have greater than 30% of participants are able to stream, it is feasible to just roll the dice to distribute the streamers out for each team.

To Giannis, here is the flow of my thought:

• This tournament has risks; the biggest one being RNG that the skill levels won’t be even and other teammates can be the deciding factor of my own chance of winning
  • Thus, it can’t go with the normal ‘face-off’ format.
  • To lessen the risk, I propose a method to advance-to-the-next-round-by-not-losing. For the first few rounds, it is fairly easy to make sure my group not fail by being competent enough, proactively using communication and paying attention at the group’s synergy. Take a look at our regular pugging routine, the run always goes smoothly when the mood is relaxing and people know how to run that path.
  • By shuffling through different teams, (and if surviving through the mayhem), I get to know others’ strengths and weaknesses as well as have fairly equal chance to group up with good players.
  • Bad groups get eliminated eventually (Sorry, can’t help). There are always reasons for a huge flop. May it be a lack of communication that makes the group fails at a stealth skip or my group can’t handle the heat of a single boss (looking at you, Lupi).
  • Even if I can totally carry the rest of my group and solo-finish the whole dungeon, it is still a pug fail experience, right? It’s not that entertaining to watch so I don’t really deserve that top prize (Top prize= top-notch performance). But worry not, I am still likely to get the Audience’s Choice award.
  • Now let’s think about the groups which are slightly more competitive than mine and most likely winners. In later rounds, they have to work a hell lot with others to secure their (personal) win. That means no bull-kitten, no yolo, no mistake, no in-fighting. It can be intense but their RNG right now is down to some mishap during the run. It can’t be because of the four other noobs that ruins my pug.
  • Eventually, the winners emerge. They are probably the friendliest, loveliest, most talented, caring, patient, adaptive, enjoyable people whom all of us want to add to our “Pug Wish list”. (They are real, some always get invited into runs more often than us. They are already pug winner!)
  • After writing this, I realize it boils down to social skills more than anything. But heck, it is a community event. So, why not?
“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

(edited by Iris Ng.9845)

GrimmR.3541

+1 for your thoughts mate!
I personally like the Idea of extra winners getting chosen by the audience.
Promoting the tourney might become a challenge, maybe start with a name for it ?
Dungeon Madness ? Not good at finding names ..

toxic since 2012

Iris Ng.9845

I have an idea of asking artists for giving out free commisions to our streamers. It requires someone with a good connection to approach the artists :p

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

GrimmR.3541

Which “artists“ do you mean ?

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

This is a very nice idea, I would love to participate.

Iris Ng.9845

Like this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/fangen/Affordable-Art-1G-Sketches-and-More-FULL/first

Pretty nice. Even paid commisions with discount is nice, too.

GrimmR.3541

That would be pretty awesome. I would not mind handing out a few gold for some cool artworks!

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I love brainstorming. If RNG is a concerning factor, then how’s about going wild with RNG?

Let’s call it the “precursor tournament” and give the first place to the team who gets duks first?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Iris Ng.9845

I love brainstorming. If RNG is a concerning factor, then how’s about going wild with RNG?

Let’s call it the “precursor tournament” and give the first place to the team who gets dusk first?

Oh, you
Nat from [SC] would totally win this one, hands down. He pulled dozen of precursors from the forge by sheer will.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I pugged my way through fractal 40 and learned Arah the same way, so I know how it goes. PUG dungeon rules should be this; no communication except using the party chat, everyone must rep his/her bank guild to prevent guild chat, can only bring two classes and matched with random people. TS3 must be muted the whole time and players cannot use consumables such as potions/food.
PUGventure ftw

Tour

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Iris’ idea is really solid. The advance by not losing archetype is a much stronger approach than a standard tournament bracket for this kind of thing, and the constant shuffling means that RNGing a really good team won’t smash everything. It does make streaming tougher, but if streamers gain some incentive and there are enough, then it could still work out.

The only thing you really have to be careful of is how long a tournament like this could take. Eliminating only 1 team at a time might be painfully slow, but this could be turned around if it were a single path as opposed to a BO3 like the team tournaments we’ve had thus far. I think doing a single path might make the chaos even more intense, and might make managing the tournament hell, but that could work.

Very cool ideas, though; I would definitely participate.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

from someone who pugs 40 & 49/50 fractals most days:
love this idea, count me in, ill have to keep an eye on this thread, and i could maybe be talked into streaming

im rather partial to what iris has said too

although… i have dungeon master, 9 80’s, and knowledge of over 1/2 of the dungeon paths… but my hobby explorer is low (only recently did arah p4 and i fractal much more than dungeon) and my only fully geared toons are both engi. i hope i wouldnt get auto DQ’d, but if this happens in the mid term instead of the short term i could easily meet the quals. ill be a total baddie if im forced off my engi too lol.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

from someone who pugs 40 & 49/50 fractals most days:
love this idea, count me in, ill have to keep an eye on this thread, and i could maybe be talked into streaming

im rather partial to what iris has said too

although… i have dungeon master, 9 80’s, and knowledge of over 1/2 of the dungeon paths… but my hobby explorer is low (only recently did arah p4 and i fractal much more than dungeon) and my only fully geared toons are both engi. i hope i wouldnt get auto DQ’d, but if this happens in the mid term instead of the short term i could easily meet the quals. ill be a total baddie if im forced off my engi too lol.

For requirements in terms of DM and hobby, those were just thrown out there. People disagree on what sort of metric should be used, so that is still up for debate.

Just to clarify, I am thinking if I run this of trying to prepare it for mid to late december. If someone else takes the reigns which is possible that would be their call.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I’ve actually yet to do SE2, personally just not a big achievement hunter so never felt the need to get the title and never had a group interested in SE2 so just never did it. It was the same with Aetherpath until recently when some cool kids carried me through

Iris Ng.9845

I’ve actually yet to do SE2, personally just not a big achievement hunter so never felt the need to get the title and never had a group interested in SE2 so just never did it. It was the same with Aetherpath until recently when some cool kids carried me through

Contact Kevin. We [Club] could totally set that up with you for fun

Posted by: Raina.8642

Raina.8642

I would suggest that a good way to “balance” the RNG of a pug tournament is have the teams rearrange each round.

Ill take the 30 participants mentioned earlier and work with that. Players 1,6,11,16,21,26 are all streamers.

Round 1: 1-5, vs 6-10, 11-15 vs 16-20 etc.
Round 2: 1,13,25,23,29 vs 2,6,12,18,24 (for arguments sake) etc.

Run maybe 3 or 4 rounds to get an even distribution, and apply points to players of the winning and losing team. 2 points for each win, 1 point for a draw (both bug out/wipe (if running no wipe rules which I kind of like for a pug tourny)) 0 for a loss.

After 4 rounds, top 20 players progress and get seeded.

1/20/5/16/12
2/19/6/15/11
3/18/7/14/10
4/17/8/13/9

With a semi final round, top 2 teams go to final round.

I would also suggest that for the “round robin” rounds it be a single dungeon run, not a best of 3 scenario.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Pr0n stars.

Anyone else thinks that the loosers will be those rng’ed out by getting worse team mates than the winners?

Snow Crows [SC]

(edited by Miku Lawrence.6329)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Pr0n stars.

Anyone else thinks that the loosers will be those rng’ed out by getting worse team mates than the winners?

crowd favorite concept will help to mitigate that

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Issue you might have is some people actualy know how to play meta but refuse to do so. What do you think will happen if you actualy get matched up with a axe ranger who despite knowing all to well the build has serious teamwork issue still wants to play it? Especialy if the so called axe ranger also know all to well how to play his class as well as all the mechanics involving meta the guy might just as well be using frost spirit but may not have other stuffs and or may not even run the meta weapon (small exemple).

I mean its casual guys. You have no idea what kind of mess you might get yourself into including staff guardian, hammer warriors, Phantasm mesmers, MM necros or it might even be Flamethrower enginer. The casual community isnt as caring for meta as is the premade team dungeon runners, the moment you go into casual territory you enter a totaly new world.

(yes im still haunting the forum and no i dont plan participating in this event)

Keep in mind the moment it becomes as organised as to use premade teams composition its prety much no longuer a pug but a premade. You no longuer running with random people at this point and the only factor is dungeon knowledge something that only one of the 5 player in the team need to possess.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

That’s why it’s based on an individual effort. Get stuck with some non metas, that’s part of the challenge!

I think that’s the beauty of Iris’s suggestion. If you see a staff guard and rage you’re not going to be helping anything. But, if you can still come through you’ll look awesome. If your whole group wipes and you pull through, you’ll surely be a candidate for a viewer choice.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I dont see what the “staff guardian” gets out of it if its only to make the “pro’s” of the group look good. Actually I can probably imagine twitch chat concerning any unconventional pugs that dont contribute to a win or cause a lose.

And what if one cant come through what would be the point other than frustration?

Viewers choice? seems like instead of one of the “pro” guilds winning it will be a member of one of the “pro” guilds winning.

Its one thing for a team to practice together and lose together and its another thing for 5 people to “practice” individually and lose together.

oh a requirement that should probably be considered. mainly for eu but can be a problem for NA.

Languages

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

I mean its casual guys. You have no idea what kind of mess you might get yourself into including staff guardian, hammer warriors, Phantasm mesmers, MM necros or it might even be Flamethrower enginer.

Wait wut

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

He probably meant shatter.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

He didn’t. ;>

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Iris Ng.9845

Phantasm mesmer is cancerous for speed run, guys * whistle *.

Back to the first Tournament held by DnT, No FGS was clearly the crowd’s favorite. I bet they are even more popular than [SC]. Are they from a ‘pro’ guild? Nope. But their effort are widely recognized.