General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 1

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of the berzerker meta, given all the other stat sets that are existing but not used.

But if I read through the most of the arguments against the zerker-meta, my brain hurts and my heart bleeds.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

But it was a good call back to reality. I had somehow restored my faith to humanity but luckily it’s gone now.

classypie was my favourite.

Most of those that understand the capping get around it by using tricks/exploits so they can have faster runs.

edit: in his defense there was http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/116dom/is_there_a_cap_for_stats/c6jq6xj this post that literally no one read or cared about.

I’m skeptical of that claim since you can hit that cap with just 6 in Power trait line and full berserker ascended gear. I’ll test it.

I went in Arah. I equipped full berserker ascended gear with 6 in power line. Put in two +5 power infusions to hit 2499. I then ate a steak and asparagus. My power went up. My tool tip damage went up.

Confirmed: this guy is an idiot.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I think reddit is a good way to train your patience.

Worst part is I still don’t have a clue what they are trying to say, except that I’m an idiot of course.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Worst part is I still don’t have a clue what they are trying to say, except that I’m an idiot of course.

That zaery is just … wow … thats a completely new level of kitten.

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

I love how they act like you have no idea about what you’re talking about when they don’t even understand the point of the thread.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

To be fair, they can’t get past the difference in sigils. They’re yelling at you for not respecting the scientific method which traditionally has a control and then some variable you change, when really they’re identifying the variables incorrectly.

You’ve got 2 controls that you’re cross comparing and a single variable.

What you want to say is this:

When an exotic weapon in the daytime which has a force and frailty sigil is NOT downscaled, it does less damage than an ascended weapon with force and night sigils in the daytime when not downscaled.

When an exotic weapon in the daytime which has a force and frailty sigil IS downscaled, it does more damage than an ascended weapon with force and night sigils in the daytime when downscaled.

The essence of your argument: If ascended weapons are X% better at scale 80, they are NOT X% better at lower scales. This becomes a problem because people often have duplicate exotic weapons but not duplicate ascended weapons due to cost, and this change in % can affect which weapon does more damage at each scale. If the scale maintained a common % difference between weapon types, there would be no issue.

Hope I got that all right

Wethospu.6437

Yeah you got it right. But I doubt they are going to understand anything no matter what I say. Not sure if they even understand their scientific method.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

But it was a good call back to reality. I had somehow restored my faith to humanity but luckily it’s gone now.

classypie was my favourite.

Most of those that understand the capping get around it by using tricks/exploits so they can have faster runs.

edit: in his defense there was http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/116dom/is_there_a_cap_for_stats/c6jq6xj this post that literally no one read or cared about.

I’m skeptical of that claim since you can hit that cap with just 6 in Power trait line and full berserker ascended gear. I’ll test it.

I went in Arah. I equipped full berserker ascended gear with 6 in power line. Put in two +5 power infusions to hit 2499. I then ate a steak and asparagus. My power went up. My tool tip damage went up.

Confirmed: this guy is an idiot.

Ascended gear and infusions didn’t exist back then so maybe that cap actually existed once upon a time. Plenty of patches since then so no way to verify.

I was just pointing out how silly classypie was claiming it as common knowledge on the non-existent chance he was actually talking about the same kind of cap.

edit: for reference http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2mgibt/why_ascended_gear_is_a_big_joke_in_pve/cm3zmqw

(edited by RemiRome.8495)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The level of kitten there is insane. Or the other way around, the level of insanity there is kitten.

Some how, it reminds me of a student coming to see me earlier. “I understand that my calculation is wrong but the previous grader did not correct it TWICE. So I’m technically NOT WRONG!”. Logic fails…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

It’s ok, that thread has 400 comments and 250 votes. I actually made a comment with math in there and now I can’t find it because thread is too kitten big… Anyways, you did you job, the gw2 reddit community is now informed whether they like it or not. Guess you can call that a success. XD

(edited by frifox.5283)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

welcome back to gw2 dolan

<333333333333333333

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

The level of kitten there is insane. Or the other way around, the level of insanity there is kitten.

Some how, it reminds me of a student coming to see me earlier. “I understand that my calculation is wrong but the previous grader did not correct it TWICE. So I’m technically NOT WRONG!”. Logic fails…

“Ohh yeah? what tests were those? I think i need to adjust your grades a bit”

Iris Ng.9845

Well, thing is I wasn’t the one who corrected his previous lab reports and I was trying to be professional, avoid to disagree with the other (clearly inexperienced) grader. In the end, the student brought the issue to my superior, gave her a good laugh and she just hushed it, telling me to be more lenient next time. It’s off topic.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Heh, wot? We have a topic in here in the “toxic community quarantine” thread? O.o

Oh, how I don’t miss grading students anymore. Worst part of grad school >.< Whenever I’m having a bad day at work, I just think: “At least I’m not teaching freshman chemistry to a class of 40 english and dance majors anymore.”

Boo hiss academia.

Oh, and have a lol. I’m so glad they don’t trash can these, but leave them up, locked, for all to enjoy :0)

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Iris Ng.9845

Well, I don’t know. It’s a third year course… a high fail rate one… and the lot already survived their first midterm and I have done demonstration for the past 4 terms. I thought i have seen it all. Maybe sometimes logic escapes from their empty sleepless mind… roll eyes Whatever

Jerus.4350

So… DA:O… been a while since I found it worthwhile to read the story text…

Wethospu.6437

It’s ok, that thread has 400 comments and 250 votes. I actually made a comment with math in there and now I can’t find it because thread is too kitten big… Anyways, you did you job, the gw2 reddit community is now informed whether they like it or not. Guess you can call that a success. XD

Yeah, it got bit more popular than I expected. I guess I have to continue to use misinformative topic titles.

Unfortunate part is that most comments are so crap.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Ikr. It’s weird, not having to press enter or whatever like a madman in a rush to skip the cutscenes, but actually enjoying them…
And the characters? Yeah.

Question: how the hell can you (and someone else of you tras—-guys) keep repeating the same things over and over, always falling on deaf ears, without going insane?
I’m referring to the “how to fix stacking or whateverthehellthatis” thread.

Jerus.4350

Ikr. It’s weird, not having to press enter or whatever like a madman in a rush to skip the cutscenes, but actually enjoying them…
And the characters? Yeah.

Question: how the hell can you (and someone else of you tras—-guys) keep repeating the same things over and over, always falling on deaf ears, without going insane?

Ehh, I have no problem wasting a few minute of my life in the hope that someone with a reasonable brain reads it and goes “ohh wait… maybe he has a point”. If I catch 1/100 people with it, it’s more than worth it… especially since I do the majority of my posting when I’m bored and don’t care about wasting time.

Really though, every MMO follows the same rules. I’m far from excellent at this game, but I was in the high end of the games I played previously. It’s always cut any defense you don’t absolutely need, and then stack the offense as much as possible. Really not a hard concept to understand and it’s basically universal in these games outside of gimmicky events like this latest living story, which I did find fun, gimmicks aren’t bad but they dont’ make up the core content.

deSade.9437

I know…. It’s like this in every mmo. It’s mostly based on damage, because no boss goes down by throwing flowers at it (listen up, hippies). Then, why haven’t they got it yet? Most of them don’t even have the excuse of gw2 being their first game. Not worth wasting my time with people that inexperienced at things, imo.

I do like teaching and explaining in the limits of my patience (and headaches), but only to people that I know are going to listen – people that I happen to like because of some specific attributes… apparently, these attributes make up for rather decent players that want to improve. Or maybe we’re just likeminded?
The rest? A waste.
But yeah alright, you explain, I troll, guess that’s what happens when you’re bored.

P.S. The problem with gimmicks is that they have little to no replayability. One of the problems of this game is that it’s getting very gimmicky.

Jerus.4350

I fully agree in that I set a rule for myself YEARS ago back when I was playing EQ hardcore… In game I’ll teach anyone that’s willing to ask. If you’re willing to ask that means you’re willing to listen, and yeah more than happy to help.

The one difference is again, when I post on these forums it’s usually because I’m bored and don’t have anything else to do

Didn’t even log into the game today, first in quite a while. Honestly have no desire to play anything but Arah lately and well… not many buddies to play it with and really there aren’t many PUG groups that do it. Soloing gets boring(esp since I’m still not a Lupi pro, let alone Alphard) so might as well play a single player RPG, thinking about getting Dark Souls, looks fun.

deSade.9437

-2 days to dragon age inquisition, and I still don’t know if I’m ready <.< gosh, I’m not even done replaying dragon age 2!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-zerker-meta-and-how-to-change-it/page/2#post4568129

/giggles

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

A troll post a day keeps the boredom away

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

It’s like this in every mmo. It’s mostly based on damage, because no boss goes down by throwing flowers at it (listen up, hippies). Then, why haven’t they got it yet?

I remember a few months ago, when I started reading the dungeon forum and fell to the influence of all you big bad elitists, shelving my trusted mesmer greatsword and daring to take a couple of ugly one-hand swords into dungeons and fractals instead. To brainwashed little me, it made total sense, and I could no longer see the enlightened truth the rest of my fractal team saw, with their tank warrior and healing guardian.

Eventually our (not so) invincible tank warrior called me out for not using the greatsword (while fighting the rabbit/shaman/ettin group in the harpy fractal) and demanded that I change back instead of dying to the bosses occasionally (yes, I was still pretty bad at surviving back then, I was practicing after all). I tried to talk to my (former) buddy on the group (the healing guardian) about it after that run, but the discussion didn’t really go anywhere, until he said: “you know, I just think every combat team in every game should bring a tank and a healer”.

I should’ve seen the big, flashy warning lights right then and there. No idea how I could’ve been so blind …

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats the thing. Pretty much noone goes back after they start gravitating towards the meta. Many people are too stubborn to even give it a chance. Which is kind of sad because they might actually enjoy it.

oxtred.7658

I know a lot of people that tried the meta and weren’t skilled enough (yup, I know) and ended back to their non meta builds.

On the topic, I teach only to people willing to learn like pretty much everyone else, it would be a waste of time, but I always think about a newcomer coming on the forum and seeing all these posts about how wrong meta is and how berserker is selfish. I just make sure there’s one sarcastic post or two to make him wonder.

oxtred.7658

I didn’t scroll through all of it but the few last posts of this are pure gold in case you missed it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Mighty-Ranger-High-Level-FOTM-7-24-2013/page/3#post2780113

Lindbur.2537

Ha, I just leveled up twice if you know what I mean.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

Congratulations !

My next challenge will be to level up to 80 in one go, by using tomes of knowledge.

Or was it scrolls of reporting ?

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Lindbur.2537

I was a bad boy
The powers above judged me
I leveled up twice

I had no FC
And then judgment was passed down
“Hundred and Twenty!”

A remnant of times past.

oxtred.7658

10/10

dlonie.6547

It’s called endgame, maybe you’ve heard of it?

And HELL YEAH DA:O.

dlonie.6547

Was it for your reply to Sam? I got a deleted message notif, but no XP, and my reply to you with shocked.gif is now gone :-(

Edit: FFS:

Your post in “General Dungeon Discussion Thread” was removed because it was a reply to a post that was recently deleted. This notification is only to inform you why your post was removed. It does not affect your forum account in any way.

Then why the hell do I have 120s FC now, too? I didn’t yesterday… >.<

Another edit (thanks FC!): awwww

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Lindbur.2537

Was it for your reply to Sam? I got a deleted message notif, but no XP, and my reply to you with shocked.gif is now gone :-(

Edit: FFS:

Your post in “General Dungeon Discussion Thread” was removed because it was a reply to a post that was recently deleted. This notification is only to inform you why your post was removed. It does not affect your forum account in any way.

Then why the hell do I have 120s FC now, too? I didn’t yesterday… >.<

Another edit (thanks FC!): awwww

I was being naughty on another thread as well :p

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

One funny thing about the zerk meta bs…

The original strife-way meta was 3 zerk/knights mix warriors with ruby orbs, a zerk mesmer, and a full knights guardian with ruby orbs.

The whole “tanky gear as training wheels” argument that they want to deny so badly is so evidently true. Sure, I cannot imagine the devs sat around during the Pre-alpha days and thought it out like that, but the result of the game design is so evident based on what players have actually done in the game’s history that denying it is absurd. I suspect that part of the reason that some people are so angry with the idea of tanky gear as training wheels is because they are insulted by the insinuation that they use training wheels.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Jerus.4350

One funny thing about the zerk meta bs…

The original strife-way meta was 3 zerk/knights mix warriors with ruby orbs, a zerk mesmer, and a full knights guardian with ruby orbs.

The whole “tanky gear as training wheels” argument that they want to deny so badly is so evidently true. Sure, I cannot imagine the devs sat around during the Pre-alpha days and thought it out like that, but the result of the game design is so evident based on what players have actually done in the game’s history that denying it is absurd. I suspect that part of the reason that some people are so angry with the idea of tanky gear as training wheels is because they are insulted by the insinuation that they use training wheels.

I started in Soldier gear, and kitten I needed it, I repeatedly died even in that. Now I run full zerk in everything and while I’m far from as good as many of the people here I feel pretty comfortable in it.

and yeah desade I had to throw that in, couldn’t resist the one troll post… i mean as alcohol levels rise the urge to troll follows.

dlonie.6547

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

It’s an LS patch, why you are surprised … ? Oo

dlonie.6547

It’s an LS GW2 patch, why you are surprised … ? Oo

FTFY.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Fixed a bug that prevented players from assigning, removing, or reassigning healing, utility, or elite skills while in a cosmetic transformation (e.g., during the siege of Ascalon in the Urban Battlegrounds fractal).

Yay an actually useful bugfix.

Lindbur.2537

Would be nice if Season 2 ended with an Arah-esque dungeon.

A remnant of times past.

Jerus.4350

Would be nice if Season 2 ended with an Arah-esque dungeon.

… if only.

I mean, I don’t see why LS can’t include other aspects.

“The battle with mordremoth has grown so large that it’s caused a rift inthe mists opening up new land, Will your world be the first to claim this new land?” Boom new WvW maps with a desert/jungle theme

“As the battle in the mists rages on the battles have grown ever more intense, there will be no victory until you completely wipe out your enemies, enjoy the new Deathmatch PVP map” OMG new game type!

“As we draw closer to mordremoth we head underground into that dark dank cavern, choose your path and defeat mordremoths champions if you can” yay dungeon!

I don’t see why it can’t be worked in /shrug.

spoj.9672

The end boss for the new episode… Puts the meat shields in Hotw to shame. I was bored out of my mind as soon as realised how little mechanics that boss had and how little threat they caused.

dlonie.6547

Well, kitten. I’m having a super-kittenty day at work, and was hoping to find an interesting fight in the LS waiting for me when I got home to distract me from all the bullkitten. pls tell me you’re just being ornery, spoj, pls. Lie to me.

Sigh. And my communication thread, unsurprisingly, has stopped receiving red replies.

:(

Attachments:

spoj.9672

Its basically one of those mordrem trolls but with 50 times the hp and some random long windup aoe that fills the room with exploding marks.

The first instance boss was a bit more interesting. Although I couldnt help but get annoyed that it was completely immune to CC and it kept leaping around the room. You couldnt even range it consistantly because of how large the room was.

(edited by spoj.9672)

dlonie.6547

A husk?

Hmm…I wonder if was just heavily armored to push conditions? You know, keeping in line with the “we introduced a new gear set and made enemies less susceptible to direct damage, but left the condition cap broken as kitten so that they’re just more frustrating?” trend?

spoj.9672

Nope its a troll. The ones which spawn all the invuln swarms which you have to kite until they change target or despawn.

My direct damage seemed pretty normal. So i dont think condi would of been much better. Although I was on necro so i definately could of saved a few minutes in my case at least.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

You should open a dungeon group, reading “exp. zerker only // gearcheck” and look at the gear… almost noone will use berzerker’s bear, yet they join.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Condi mesmer had better success than my power one as everything was blowing up so fast anyways;

Snow Crows [SC]

dlonie.6547

The end boss for the new episode… Puts the meat shields in Hotw to shame. I was bored out of my mind as soon as realised how little mechanics that boss had and how little threat they caused.

Oh man, finished it a little while ago. You ain’t kidding. Avoid the marks and you’re good. Did it on a full zerk thief, healing signet + pistol whip…if not for the marks I could have AFK’d xD

What the hell. Especially after the terragriff, who violently had its way with my thief over, and over, and over…that charge hits a lot farther away than you’d expect :-/ The terragriff was a pretty fun fight, though.