Hey, I have an idea...

Hey, I have an idea...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Provost.6210

Provost.6210

How about giving every class a ridiculously overpowered attack that shoots poison over 75% of the area. And not just normal poison, I’m talking ridiculously potent poison that will kill someone if they don’t make the absolute perfect dodge out of it the moment it hits around them? Even if they dodge to the edge, where the tails of their coat are the only thing inside, it will still horribly damage them.

Yeah, that sounds PERFECT.

Seriously, ArenaNet, Ascalonian Catacombs’ Spider Queen is just stupid. It’s the hardest fight of the entire dungeon, and I am including the troll and Lieutenant Kohler in that running. There is zero room for error if you run a DPS build, and even with condition removal I’ve seen whole parties wipe there. Good parties. Parties that have breezed through the rest of the dungeon because there’s synergy and good tactics among its members.

I’m honestly getting really, really tired of damaged armour because my toe was still in the oversized, overpowered poison zone.

I’m not saying make it easy, because that would be stupid. I’m saying that the poison damage and area coverage need to be reduced.

And before the army of “noob”-bandying people start attacking me; yes, we always take out the adds and gargoyles before engaging the queen. I find most of my parties on LFG with people who do it relatively often (for the tokens). I myself frequently do COF speed runs, which require at least reasonable competence. We’re not dumb or inexperienced, the fight just punishes us for no good reason. There has to be SOME breathing room. I can’t imagine what inexperienced groups go through.

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

There is zero room for error if you run a DPS build

Isn’t this just a truism of a DPS build? You give up survivability to deal more damage. If you want survivability, you must put it into your build somewhere, whether it be vigor for more dodging, or passively in more toughness/vitality, for example.

Perhaps it may behoove you to have 2-3 pieces of knights or soldier’s gear that you can quickly swap into before you start that section of the dungeon.

Additionally, if possible, consider what your team composition is and what assets they might be able to use differently for this fight. Guardians are always valuable in fights like these.

Best of luck!

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Hey, I have an idea...

Provost.6210

Isn’t this just a truism of a DPS build? You give up survivability to deal more damage. If you want survivability, you must put it into your build somewhere, whether it be vigor for more dodging, or passively in more toughness/vitality, for example.

Perhaps it may behoove you to have 2-3 pieces of knights or soldier’s gear that you can quickly swap into before you start that section of the dungeon.

Additionally, if possible, consider what your team composition is and what assets they might be able to use differently for this fight. Guardians are always valuable in fights like these.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the advise. I should point out that as a berserker elementalist I have trained my dodging and kiting skills to the utmost degree. Group events involving champions that have primarily melee attacks (such as trolls, risen knights, and oozes) are a joke to my elementalist. Through slows, immobilizes, and stuns I can endlessly kite their attacks and dodge any range/AoE attacks. I can solo them.

But this level of player skill is meaningless when I get stuck in overlapping poison fields. Even with mist form I still take DOTs, and the damage from the poison is preposterously high.

I don’t want to be able to do this fight with one-hand, and I want to be punished if I kitten up; but I’m sick and tired of going down whenever I get caught on the edge of the oversized poison fields. A little forgiveness in the fight is needed.

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I got an idea, dont stand in the poison :>
Dodge out of it

Hey, I have an idea...

Provost.6210

Dodge out of it

I got an idea, how about you read my post?

Hey, I have an idea...

Rizzy.8293

Dodge out of it

I got an idea, how about you read my post?

I got an idea, stop thinking you’re all that.
And accept that you’ve got more to learn about dodging.

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: DelOnasi.6051

DelOnasi.6051

The meta-game already caters ridiculously to glass cannon builds, and you’re complaining that for one fight you’re having a hard time surviving with no survival gear? Not every fight has to be a DPS race. (Also, you can cheaply bring a second set of rare gear for harder fights.) Wanting to be able to kill every boss without going down in beserker gear is asking for every boss to be [way too] easy.

Seriously, this is the easiest boss in new AC. The hatchlings are overpowered, but you can dps them down one by one and run up the stairs to de-aggro the boss. I can solo her on my necromancer with no vigor for extra dodges.

Go into AC alone sometime and try fighting her solo. If you invest a little time in it, I think you’ll get the hang of it. Bring all condition removal utilities and a ranged mobile weapon (dagger 1 in water should be ok; I can’t remember if staff auto-attacks let you move or not). Try bringing rare cleric’s gear and using evasive arcana and staying in water with it. Once you’re able to solo it the fight becomes easy in groups – she doesn’t focus you as much, and you can ignore everyone else and just let them die if they go down.

Dungeon Master ~ Litter of Lions [Arch] Admin ~ Devona’s Rest

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Thank you for the advise. I should point out that as a berserker elementalist I have trained my dodging and kiting skills to the utmost degree. Group events involving champions that have primarily melee attacks (such as trolls, risen knights, and oozes) are a joke to my elementalist. Through slows, immobilizes, and stuns I can endlessly kite their attacks and dodge any range/AoE attacks. I can solo them.

But this level of player skill is meaningless when I get stuck in overlapping poison fields. Even with mist form I still take DOTs, and the damage from the poison is preposterously high.

I don’t want to be able to do this fight with one-hand, and I want to be punished if I kitten up; but I’m sick and tired of going down whenever I get caught on the edge of the oversized poison fields. A little forgiveness in the fight is needed.

I can certainly sympathize. However, I think you have touched on something important there. This isn’t a fight against a creature you can easily kite. You need to adjust your tactics. There is a saying, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

Perhaps you should consider moving into melee range… specifically to its tail to avoid the large cleaving attacks. Also, look into what condition removals you can stack and what utilities you can do without.

If you have a guardian in the group, if they have Pure of Voice for two shouts and a Shield of the Avenger, I think that tends to make the fight easier.

It sounds like you are well experienced in dungeons, though. Surely you remember the first few times you might have fought Subject Alpha or Giganticus Lupicus? These fights are very unforgiving to people that don’t know the patterns, but once those emerge and they catch on, they can do these fights with little problems so long as they don’t mess up on dodging or using the proper ability.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I keep brainafk’ing that fight in melee.
Just dont be stupid and try to range her.

Edit: Ohwait, CoF farming requires… smth… ehh… what again?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Hey, I have an idea...

Rizzy.8293

I keep brainafk’ing that fight in melee.
Just dont be stupid and try to range her.

Im a hardcore D/D ele, close up is how i fight.
Aint got a problem for me

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Best of luck!

1. It doesn’t overlap
2. It only does 75% of your health in damage if you stand in it for full duration
That spider queen is not a hard fight at all.

Hey, I have an idea...

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

There is zero room for error if you run a DPS build, and even with condition removal I’ve seen whole parties wipe there. Good parties. Parties that have breezed through the rest of the dungeon because there’s synergy and good tactics among its members.

That’s because DPS builds sacrifice survival for more damage. You chose to sacrifice survival, so learn to deal with it. If you want to live, either get better at the game, or spend points on defensive stats.
Good parties don’t wipe on the Spider Queen. Only bad and (some) mediocre parties do. A good party knows how to stay alive against an enemy that only has 2 attacks.

I myself frequently do COF speed runs, which require at least reasonable competence. We’re not dumb or inexperienced, the fight just punishes us for no good reason. There has to be SOME breathing room. I can’t imagine what inexperienced groups go through.

There’s your problem. CoF speedruns don’t require much skill. There’s a reason every one and their grandma runs CoF: it’s because it’s the fastest and easiest thing out there. It requires the least amount of skill to run.
You are dumb for thinking you can survive standing in the red circles while wearing DPS gear. You do not get punished for no good reason: the red circles clearly indicate danger, so don’t stand in them.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?