How do you handle elitists in dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

Not sure what to do, or what would actually be an effective action but here goes.

Ran a CoF p2 with guildies. had to pug last 2. Some people couldnt handle boulder dodge, some left, slowly replace. We get 2 guys from the same guild who won’t be named to avoid naming and shaming.

At the part where you have to defend Maggs and he has to blow up door. It gets rough near the end, a few go down, me and Warrior in question both die last but we get credit last second.

His guild member stated " THANK GOD X is such a good warrior" when everyone helped out, and we all got it.

X then complained about how we died(though we all died at the same time near the end)

I put it past, and we get to the final boss. Both him and his guild member die twice while our guild does fine and finishes it while they’re busy trying to res each other.

Afterwards we get a “I hope we don’t ever end up with you guys again” comment from X and they just instantly leave.

1) it was just a “lvl 80 p2” group listing we advertised
2) if you;re going to be an elitist, don’t fail the stupidly easy stuff

What do you guys do when you run into these guys? Do you report? Do you just immediately kick?

I didn’t kick them before the last boss, because that would make us no better than them, but there’s no need to be an kitten or drag people down.

For the record, 90% of the time people are great, helpful, willing to kitten up and teach people etc. But there’s a sour few that need to be cut off the vine.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

block and forget that they ever existed.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Ignore them, kicking them before last boss would be amusing though.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

You can report them for harassment if they get too bad. Likely not going to get banned on the first offense, but we must all do our part to make sure these situations don’t go unnoticed.

FYI, I’m a min/maxing zerker player and I still do kick people who are being elitist in the wrong situation, and I rarely advertise for “experience.” It’s often that the people who are super offensive/defensive in chat are half the reason things are going poorly.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You’re going to get people who say rude things over the internet, because it’s easy. They can’t see you and they can get away with saying something that in real life would cause a fight.

All you can do is put it away from you. It’s not like they are someone you like or respect and if you knew them in real life, they still wouldn’t be anyone whose opinion you cared about.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I didn’t kick them before the last boss, because that would make us no better than them, but there’s no need to be an kitten or drag people down.

^^ Very much this.

People are kittens, lowering yourself makes you no better. IMO if they expose themselves as kittens at the beginning, kick them to the curb, but late into it… that’s just a kitten move whatever the reason.

Overall, just don’t let people like that get to you. they aren’t worth it.

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

That sounded like a pretty crappy group you got landed with. I’ve had that issue before where myself and guildies would be running something like CoE and need a random to fill the last spot.

The random thinks they’re smarter then the rest of the group and decides to stack somewhere different. They don’t come and join us and then they die. So it’s our fault.

Or we have our own method for fighting Alpha that works better than just the “stack on him” method (P3 works best if everyone encircles him but whatev) and so he runs around like a headless chicken and yells at the group when again, he dies.

In the end they try to vote kick someone for saying that he should listen to the majority (being that our whole group has been doing this for a while) and of course we kick him in return.

Then said person decides it would be nice to say that they’ll report us for kicking them (even though we had beaten a path already) even after their own attempt… and yeah, good times.

You don’t find those that often though, I guarantee you.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I handle them by not getting anywhere near them. I only do dungeons/fractals with guild groups, and constantly mention I don’t do dungeons enough to have everything memorized about what to do.

. . . with the only exception of Twilight Arbor, which I know “kinda well”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

That isn’t elitism, that’s just plain rude and obnoxious.
Please stop using “elitism” as to go to buzz word for insults in dungeons.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

I wonder how people will feel if I use “casuals” as a insult to people.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I wonder how people will feel if I use “casuals” as a insult to people.

I’ll own that insult, like I own a couple others thrown at me daily.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I’d like to hear the other side’s story :-) I never ever had such encounters. I already told that and will tell again: most (not all) people who complain in forums are not better themselves. Otherwise I wonder how I with my ca. 1000 dungeon runs never had any of those incidents I read about every now and then.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Grow a tougher skin. It’s nor real life, they can’t hurt you. Ignore and block. Report if it’s proper action to do. Just because some of you played bad it’s not a harassment from the other side to tell you that you were bad.

If you can’t handle other people don’t play mmos

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

“how do you handle elitists in dungeons”

i kick them on sight

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The example you gave was not one of elitism.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I keep my head down and hope they don’t notice me, whilst trying to learn something.

If they get unpleasant, I leave.

If I can’t do what they want because they really are that much better than me, I apologise and wish them luck then leave.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t bother reporting anyone other than gold sellers. If anyone, regardless of skill level, is annoying the party during a dungeon run they get a nicely worded ‘please stop being a kitten.’ warning. They ignore it, or I don’t like their response? → Kick. I’m a very patient and reasonable fellow, so by the time I’m ready to give someone the boot at least one other party member supports my decision.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It they’re kittens, kick them from your party. It’s as simple as that. If you’re outnumbered by kittens, leave the group.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

edgarallanpwn.8739

I’d like to hear the other side’s story :-) I never ever had such encounters. I already told that and will tell again: most (not all) people who complain in forums are not better themselves. Otherwise I wonder how I with my ca. 1000 dungeon runs never had any of those incidents I read about every now and then.

No offense but that’s flawed logic is it not? Because it didn’t happen to you it hasn’t happened to others? Plenty of people have posted proof and other things, and many others who are at least seemingly innocent have reported the same thing.

Stating 1 incident, and i quote from my post (90% of the time everything is fine)

Also, i am not complaining as much as I was looking for advice. Thank’s for being a Debbie Downer though. I’ll let you know if i need some more useless information.

Grow a tougher skin. It’s nor real life, they can’t hurt you. Ignore and block. Report if it’s proper action to do. Just because some of you played bad it’s not a harassment from the other side to tell you that you were bad.

If you can’t handle other people don’t play mmos

You offer nothing but negativity in all your posts, you are one i would see getinng reported often in games.

I gave the whole situation, and even then we did not play “bad”. The other guy also by your terms “played bad” for someone acting with such egoism, but i didn’t call him out on it inside the dungeon. why? Because there’s no need, just like there’s no need for harassment, and no need for negativity.

FYI I played WoW for six years, play many mobas, and other mmo’s.

Growing tough skin doesn’t give you the right to be an kitten , especially if you’re not that good to begin with.

That isn’t elitism, that’s just plain rude and obnoxious.
Please stop using “elitism” as to go to buzz word for insults in dungeons.

It’s elitism because he was acting as if he was better than all of us, and putting our guild members down elitism isn’t tied to just “lol 20k ap zerk 15kdps” groups, as an FYI.

“the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite.”

Going on about how he’s such a great warrior and putting others down would fit that category, maybe not to the fullest extent of an extreme, but still nonetheless.

^^ Very much this.

People are kittens, lowering yourself makes you no better. IMO if they expose themselves as kittens at the beginning, kick them to the curb, but late into it… that’s just a kitten move whatever the reason.

Overall, just don’t let people like that get to you. they aren’t worth it.

Part of me really just wanted to finish the dungeons so i could get my CoF badges since i like the look of the CoF set. I think that’s what i’ll stick to is just blocking, and if it gets bad enough kicking and reporting. Good to know other people feel the same though

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

You forgot to screenshot the conversation for your personal collection

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

edgarallanpwn.8739

You forgot to screenshot the conversation for your personal collection

I remember doing that for Diablo 2 when i would beat people in PvP but i haven’t done that in years is that something people still do? lol

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Yes! Totally! We even have a thread to share them. #puglyfe

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

From the sounds of it, those guys weren’t elitist, they were just blaming you for their failures.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Some people are just dongs. Block if you want, and move on

Crap like this is why I prefer to low-man with guildies rather than pug if we’re short handed.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

how does someone disliking you make them elitist?

like, this legitimately has to be a troll, no way can someone hurting your feelings mean that they’re an elitist

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

edgarallanpwn.8739

like, this legitimately has to be a troll, no way can someone hurting your feelings mean that they’re an elitist

Elitism comes in many forms, and not all forms have to be the “extremes” that people are accustomed to. Simply putting others down in the dungeons and calling others bad and acting like he was better than everyone else is a form of elitism, again. Not to mention the fact his “great warrior” skills that was also mentioned in the post.

Same logic as jaywalking is technically breaking the law in most states, but when people hear breaking the law, much graver things come to mid.

Severity does not change what it is.

The fact that your only point was “disliking” shows obviously you didn’t read the post.

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

going with your logic, telling other people they’re behaving wrong is an example of your elitism, because you downgrade their point of view and they can feel abused

edgarallanpwn.8739

going with your logic, telling other people they’re behaving wrong is an example of your elitism, because you downgrade their point of view and they can feel abused

This would be true if i actually called him bad,but I never said anything to him as the OP states. So there was no elitism “by your logic”.

However if you’re going to be a kitten to my guild, and act like you’re a pro warrior, don’t die to one of the easiest bosses in the game where all you have to to is not get hit by the STUPIDLY OBVIOUS circles on the ground. Especially on a warrior with multiple movement abilities and blocking abilities.

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Elitism comes in many forms, and not all forms have to be the “extremes” that people are accustomed to. Simply putting others down in the dungeons and calling others bad and acting like he was better than everyone else is a form of elitism, again. Not to mention the fact his “great warrior” skills that was also mentioned in the post.

Same logic as jaywalking is technically breaking the law in most states, but when people hear breaking the law, much graver things come to mid.

Severity does not change what it is.

The fact that your only point was “disliking” shows obviously you didn’t read the post.

When “elitist” is defined as broadly as anyone who is rude, hypocritical, or has expectations you don’t agree with, it makes it hard to take you seriously when you complain about them. This is because many of us will have different definitions (usually just people with higher expectations than “normal”).

Keep this in mind when creating topics with clickbait titles.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

usually i just block them, flame then and then kick them.