Kicked for the lack of a ranged weapon.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

There are bosses you can’t melee and forcing you to use a ranged weapon.Like Lupicus.Grubs duty lol.What about phase2? Theres no way you can melee that one.Specialy if you’ve got the agro.What you gonna do , run pretty? because you refuse to use a range weapon.Because its manly?Being useless is manly to you? And its not the only boss you can’t melee.The Butcher in HotW.I’ve seen other stubborn guardians like you that tried to melee him.Down on every attempt.And there are many other bosses too.You gonna melee the dredge boss in FotM? I’d kick you right away.

Carry a ranged weapon swap. Really. It is not like you need two ranged weapons.
Melee has best burst so why shouldn’t I use it on dredge boss? Or Lupicus phase 1?

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

Because you need to get him to the next lava point?If you melee him he’ll stay in place?And you think you can melee him or higher diff fractals? And you can Melee Lupicus in phase 1 .You can only be on grubs duty if you’re that stubborn.Even tho you can do both grubs and boss whit the scepter.You can even go melee the Lupicus himself if you’re that ’’skilled’’ .You can also solo the entire dungeon by yourself , why join a team? But what you gonna do on phase2 huh? I melee too on 50% but what if you have the agro?
You always need to have a range option , theres no debate about it.

(edited by NightyNight.1823)

Wethospu.6437

F12 is highest I have tried so far. There has been enough time to burst in melee for some seconds (+ some more seconds on next spot too). Maybe it gets different, I don’t know.

I can easily solo phase 1 on Lupicus (melee + ranged, melee mostly with other players). Phase 2 is also doable with near perfect playing (ranged). Phase 3 just throws too much stuff at you (at least for Warrior, but maybe someday).
On phase 1 all you have to do is dodge infection animation and you won’t get any Grubs (excluding start of phase 2).

You know, you can actually swap weapons in this game. Nothing forces you to be 100% ranged or 100% melee.
In most content I just 100% melee though. There you don’t need to have that option.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Mage.6045

Mage.6045

I’d say that refusing to switch weapons is a WAAAY bigger problem with Rangers and the Longbow though, than with any Guardians, to the point that I avoid Rangers where possible when I’m not running with my static.

Heh you just made my day … Actually my friend is a ranger and when we told him that GS would be better against the burrows at AC (in the middle of the run I might ad) he was like “huh… well wait a sec I’ll go buy one”. I too play a ranger and I have no problem of jumping from ranged to melee with a push of a button. But then everyone is not like me so I’ll give that one to you

Ok now for this post. I agree with some of these guys that you should not completely take out the option of going ranged. If you feel comfortable with melee fine use it or ask your team to bear with you one fight before they kick you… and if it goes well then you have proven your point. if it does not go well then just go with the team and pick up that staff/scepter or leave.

Feel free to disagree

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Meh, If you happen to play on Underworld I’d be happy to have you in my party. I’m staff/greatsword guardi in fractals, and from experience I must say that scepter+staff dmg COMBINED doesn’t reach the greatsword DPS (yes, damage per second) and I find myself combatting bosses that should 1-shot me with the GS rather than staff. I only use staff to buff up group members with might and heal. Greatsword is THE perfect tool against the boss in growl fractal. Going close range on the boss makes him lose any type of aggro he has on other players, ergo you save your group. So yeah … gtfo with the ranged requirement. I make my own parties and last night lead 3 complete noobs through lvl 10 and 11 with 0 agony resistance this way. And that’s an achievement. Yes, we had the dredge and colossus maps

Posted by: shagworth.5017

shagworth.5017

You certainly have every right to go pure melee, but if you’re getting downed every 10 seconds trying to facetank particular bosses, I’m not going to select the ‘Kick from party’ option, but I’ll second it if someone else does.

Ravenmoon.5318

You certainly have every right to go pure melee, but if you’re getting downed every 10 seconds trying to facetank particular bosses, I’m not going to select the ‘Kick from party’ option, but I’ll second it if someone else does.

You’ll be shocked at melee guardian’s survivability. Usually the rangers in my party die from AOE damage rather than me, melee tanking and … who does facetank anyway?

Posted by: almostdaft.4319

almostdaft.4319

The spider and Nightmare Tree in TA are just down-right easy for me.
Lupi can be melee’d on any phase as long as you just “hurr durr” it and ask him politely for a piece of damaged armor.
The Butcher is a slice of cake—hardly a threat at all.

It honestly amazes me the doubt some of you have for a character using melee against some of these bosses.

While some of you are insisting that I have a ranged weapon at all times I (1) don’t have one and (2) see it as a down-grade, if anything. While using a ranged weapon would go with a strategy and maybe even been an improvement to some people—the numbers I receive say that I, for the maximum potential to come out of my Guardian, going with my melee weapons is my best choice of action to benefit my team.

I have no intention of defying a group’s strategy. I simply see a better, faster, stronger [Daft Punk?] course of action with my melee weapons and it sounds like they’re the stubborn ones for not giving things a chance. I’m not perfect, but I’m not a stupid melee-player that stands in one spot, presses 1, alt-tabs and checks his Facebook.

Posted by: almostdaft.4319

almostdaft.4319

There are bosses you can’t melee and forcing you to use a ranged weapon.

and I disagree.

NightyNight.1823

Like Lupicus.Grubs duty lol.What about phase2? Theres no way you can melee that one.Specialy if you’ve got the agro.

Depend on survivability and movement to lose the agro, then proceed to eat him alive. Works every time if you try to shake his hand.

NightyNight.1823

What you gonna do , run pretty? because you refuse to use a range weapon.Because its manly?Being useless is manly to you?

I never said any of this. What are you getting at?

NightyNight.1823

And its not the only boss you can’t melee.The Butcher in HotW.I’ve seen other stubborn guardians like you that tried to melee him.Down on every attempt.

Believe it or not, I had no idea what The Butcher did on my first attempt against him. I used a hammer the whole time. I was only downed twice for the fight—then I realized his tell-signs.

NightyNight.1823

And there are many other bosses too.You gonna melee the dredge boss in FotM? I’d kick you right away.

Melee’d the dredge boss with my group made up on Two Warriors, Two Guardians, and a Thief. Easy peasy.

Posted by: Myth Shaia.4856

Myth Shaia.4856

Scepter/focus and Staff guardians married to high crit/precision builds is more than effective as an alternative to melee weapons. That is what I run. Single target with the Scepter/focus and aoe with Staff and party boon buff on crits. However, I am more than happy to change to my GS when the situation arises.

Guardians are more about flexibility than the other classes anyway. So if you won’t play a ranged weapon, well that’s really only your issue tbh.

Also, as others have pointed out, dungeons are about a team effort.

However, since Anet made it that all classes can melee/ranged, many players – I feel – have got lazy and expect everything to be done from range because they think it is safer but don’t realise that they are minimizing their own group combat options by just playing ranged – the bosses/enemies are not simply going to stay at your ranged output, so many times players are getting themselves boxed up unnecessarily making it harder for the group. GW2 combat is guerrilla warfare and more dynamic than the MMOs other people have got used to.

There is a time and place for melee and ranged depending on the situation.

…from elsewhere…
“I am not a complete idiot, there are some components missing still!” …

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

Guardian and burst? in soldier gear and tanky spec? Guardian and dps at all? Nice joke.
Your melee burst on dredge boss in those 2-3 seconds is probably lower than thief 1st skill or warrior damage with rifle. I know how ppl love spin to win but guardian dps isn’t that high at all. I can undestand warrior with rifle/gs who changes to gs and try to 100lb dredge boss on lava spot, this can hit very hard. But guardian? Spin to win to deal poor amount of damage and than get downed by bomb/aoe/boss atack → died because of agro → someone need to ress you → for some time only 2 ppl deal damage on boss.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

The spider and Nightmare Tree in TA are just down-right easy for me.

Of course its easy. But I asked for the strategy. For the TA Forward/Up path Nightmare Tree with spiders, what did you do to prevent aggroing spiders? Or do you just aggro them and deal with it?

And for the Nightmare Tree with the turrets, of course its easy. But again what is your strategy? Is there a safe melee spot where the turrets can’t hit you or do you deal with turrets first before engaging.

Reason for me asking is I have accumulated about 3.5k TA tokens and I have never seen a melee succeed in those 2 bosses. I really don’t mind partying you for TA runs and I have never kicked anyone out from TA before. (Those who are melee-only ususally stand in the back and support or they just lay dead in the middle where rezzing is not possible by the rest of the party). I kinda hope you can be the first though.

Posted by: Taerik.3405

Taerik.3405

I play guardian, tanky spec, and Ill use hammer or greatsword depending on my mood, usually hammer because its pro

for fractals, I farm them daily, only up to level 13 due to having to repeat lower levels just to be able to group, and there is one fight you need ranged for, and that is the iceman/dredgemachine fight. That entire fight is a mobile fight, sure u can smack him in melee but if he stops to hit you YOUR wasting the fire debuff on the boss.

There are a few places where you need to carry a ranged option in your backpack, im thinking TA spider path, also.

There is no one build fits all, its why anet lets us change utility skills and major traits on the fly

Posted by: Maximillian Greil.1965

Maximillian Greil.1965

For those of you who think your play style is more important than completing a dungeon in the most efficient manner conceivable, and refuse to cooperate with your teams wishes, please keep my name in mind. If you somehow end up in a group with me, let me know so I can leave.

Wethospu.6437

Let me guess, cooperating with team equals doing exactly what you say?
Either way there is no guarantee that if rest of the team jumps off a cliff that is the best tactic for that situation.

Posted by: Shaikhob.2863

Shaikhob.2863

By looks of this post OP is just being stubborn. If your pugging then Your going with people you don’t know and you want to minimize the risk. Just be flexible and bring a scepter or a staff in your backpack. You don’t have to equip it during the run unless the group ask you to. Honestly a they are doing is just trying to minimize the risk so they don’t end up having to Rez some one constantly.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I hate that I have to use a ranged weapon on a small amount of bosses, but that’s how it is.

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

You gonna melee the dredge boss in FotM? I’d kick you right away.

Well you could just do lava instead but meh.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I have kicked someone for refusing to use a ranged weapon in a dungeon. The Nightmare Tree in Twilight Arbor in F/U path is significantly harder if someone goes melee – because they aggro all the mobs. The room doesn’t need to be aggroed to complete that path and players don’t need to waste their time killing all the spiders if everyone uses a ranged weapon.

I was in a group with one person who dropped (back when Vevina was really bugged) and there was only four of us. One dude kept running in and aggroing spiders (intentionally) and dieing while we had to back out, watch the tree’s health reset, kill the spiders and res that person only for him to do it again. We had just done Vevina onwards with 3/4 people and the run was beginning to drag out, we spent an extra 15 minutes dealing with his pulls before we stopped asking/telling him to switch to ranged and just vote/kicked him. I half suspect he was trolling us hoping to get kicked so he could report us to support for kicking him at the final boss.

I also get sick of guardians at the final boss who don’t have a scepter and won’t contribute to killing the tree because they don’t carry one around with them when running dungeons. Maybe it’s because I learnt how to run dungeons in TA on a ranger, but I don’t believe there is an excuse for anyone to not have a ranged weapon on them for dungeons unless they know the people they are running with and they know that strategy being used won’t ever touch on them.

My second 80 was a guardian and I run more dungeons on him than I do on my ranger (guardians are faceroll easy) and I always bring my scepter. It was my second exotic set I prioritised after my greatsword.

Ravenmoon.5318

Whoever requires a ranged weapon, and forces other people to use range, are just simply, noobs, period. NightyNight I melee the boss at dredge fractal, I’m not 1-shot, I’m not a glass cannon. Not to mention that his “OP” attack has 3 seconds of animation which only blind, or well, a ranged noob wouldn’t notice

In the end its up to the player. I get that probably most guardians are just doing plain face tank and dying like flies, but you should evaluate your members before kicking. The OP has stated that he’s skilled and he knows his char, why not give him a chance? Because you’ll wipe once and you are going to lose ~1 silver? AWMIGAWD SO MUCH MONEY, HOW COULD YOU…….

I have one thing to say to you … crybabies!

P.S: IMO ANet should give every fractal boss a 20 second AOE on the outer ring to show those ranged noobs that they simply suck

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I play the same gear setup and weapons usually as you, but I always carry a scepter/staff/hammer around. Some situations really call for that. No reason to kick you though, unless you were constantly dieing on high level fractals?

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Hmm. I will put it like this unless the melee dies or melee dps triggers anything to wipe the party than there is no reason to kick. Assuming that the skill of one player is equal to another is foolish and short sited. Noting how many ranged I have seen die on simple things I doubt one weapon set or another truly makes any difference.

That being said I have played D/D ele for a long time now and am usually the most survivable member of my team. Range is the most easily accessible form of survival however, it is not the best. In this game like many action MMO understanding when to dodge will trump all the range in the world. Its just that simple. Play TERA, DCUO or any game with an invulnerable dodge and you will figure it out.

The other thing is pugs are pugs so expect pug bullkitten. People will want you to run a build that is to their liking. They will expect you to be generic dps number 3 and that just how it goes. There is no reason to get upset about getting kicked since you could have seen it coming.

Edit: Since knowledge needs to be passed on

You gonna melee the dredge boss in FotM? I’d kick you right away.

As a point of interest I have always melee kited him since it holds aggro better. In many cases I have seen the aggro shift to the person on the lava so on many fights to force myself up the aggro table I have melee kited him. The only thing you really have to worry about are the bombs and the ground and pound agony if you use a vigor buff and dodge you can avoid the bombs ans a portion of the agony. Any invulnerable state will allow you to resist the agony all together. Also if you kick some one from fotm your stuck in a 4 man so its not a wise move.

P.S: IMO ANet should give every fractal boss a 20 second AOE on the outer ring to show those ranged noobs that they simply suck

They already do. Agony in many of the boss fights works that way including dredge.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

Posted by: Delsabre.5934

Delsabre.5934

Too many clueless nabs out there tbh, “zomg I’ve never heard of anytone doing it this way, that automatically makes you a noob!”.

As far as I’m concerned, if you want to play melee and you do it well, then go ahead.

So many kittening times some bad player told me I had to use UA on my GW1 monk, usually the kind of players who had to activate every skill on their bar before they noticed the mobs hitting them. >_>

What monks thinks about warriors

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Whoever requires a ranged weapon, and forces other people to use range, are just simply, noobs, period. NightyNight I melee the boss at dredge fractal, I’m not 1-shot, I’m not a glass cannon. Not to mention that his “OP” attack has 3 seconds of animation which only blind, or well, a ranged noob wouldn’t notice

In the end its up to the player. I get that probably most guardians are just doing plain face tank and dying like flies, but you should evaluate your members before kicking. The OP has stated that he’s skilled and he knows his char, why not give him a chance? Because you’ll wipe once and you are going to lose ~1 silver? AWMIGAWD SO MUCH MONEY, HOW COULD YOU…….

I have one thing to say to you … crybabies!

No offence, but you do sound like those “crybabies” you are referring to. A dedicated melee who hates range. I mainly use range against the drege fractual since I always run the oil levers, so I can pull the levers and damage the boss at the same time (I play a mesmer in fractual though).

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

Melee’d the dredge boss with my group made up on Two Warriors, Two Guardians, and a Thief. Easy peasy.

Now i realize you have no idea what you are doing and the people kicking you had good reasons. You cannot melee that dredge not because he hits you hard, but because you need to constantly kite him under the lava buckets, or else he will recover his HP.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

The other players in your group are as much a part of the challenge of the dungeon as the dungeon itself. Just be a good sport and pull the ranged from your backpack if it is bothering them so much. Also if you are in a party and the rest are all in the same guild. .. “when in Rome” applies. Be like the willow not the oak.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Are you out of bag space? Made it to 100% world completion and never found a ranged weapon?

I would kick you without a doubt purely based on the fact that any semi-intelligent person would carry a ranged weapon with them, so then the only assumption left for any rational person to make is that you’re not very…….

You’re also implying that they didn’t kick you because you were dying too often. It’s obvious that by the time they kicked you it had become a problem for them to rez you over and over.

They would have only kicked you for 2 reasons. One is that they had a guildy who wanted in. The other is that you died so much they got frustrated and finally kicked you.

(edited by Godmoney.2048)

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

I am a level 80 guardian as well and when I made my “permanent” weapon choices, I picked 1. Great sword, 2. Hammer and 3. Staff. I never run a dungeon without having the staff equipped as a secondary weapon.

There are just too many situations were melee is 1. impractical, 2. inefficient, 3. against the group strategy. Guardians are a melee class and should be in melee but not having ranged is inexcusable in dungeons.

Edit:
I am not disputing that their are uber Guardians who can melee 100% of the time and maybe the OP is one of those uber Guardians. But if you team asks you to go range and you refuse, thus go against team strategy, your team is under no obligation to stick with you.

This, exactly this (minus the hammer bit), I run greatsword 99% of the time except for the rare occasion I need/want the staff. No need for anything else. (Well there may be, but I’m about to start a different thread for that)

Posted by: The Bacon Bard.3586

The Bacon Bard.3586

The weapon doesn’t maketh the player. It is the other way around.

Totally comply with whatever group strategy is in place. On that note, strategy should be about role and effect, not specific weapon. So if your melee does the desired job, its ok.

There definitely are bosses that require range pretty much no matter what. And it has been mentioned that flexibility is required of dungeon runners. Again, role and effect, not weapons. If your guardian isn’t good or won’t use range, give them a more supportive role then.

Lastly, online worlds are in fact whole worlds, complete with different types of residents from the rich to the poor, self entitled to the humble. “Shake it off” and move along is the best anwer.

So many alts…

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I think we are getting to a larger issue here, which is that at the end of the day – what OP is experiencing is party gear discrimination. His party members do not approve of his gear choice, i.e. not having ranged weapon.

In a sense, this is no different then the rage that’s happening over magic find gear or people who demand toons be in full exotics etc, etc. The argument in all these cases is that the group suffers because of the individual choice.

However, it is clear that the OP is one of those uber guardians who can melee 100% of the time. I also doubt 90% of the time anyone can tell if party member X is not in full exotics or opted to have magic find in place of another stat.

Now with friends, with guildies, play styles to gear matters little. They know you and so don’t often care what you are wearing. It only matters in PuGs BUT the kicker is that you have no obligations to a PuG either. You probably will never meet these people ever again. All you have is a vested interest in the run going smoothly. That’s really all we can count on. Everything else is just assumptions that are most likely not valid.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Posted by: skom.9378

skom.9378

I agree on that face that you should cooperate with your team.

I don’t agree with why, but it’s not entirely their fault asking for a ranged weapon. A melee player being forced to use ranged weapons for certain enemies because of balancing issues is a game problem. It’s actually been a problem with a lot of games and not just MMO’s.

If you don’t have the right weapon for the right enemy or situation you end up struggling or being a burden to the team. This should never happen in a game that is about making unique CHOICES for your character and how you like to play.

Sadly we have to deal with it though. It’s not fair but it’s what we got.

Dragonbrand – Dusk Warriors
http://duskwarriors.enjin.com

Posted by: oneleggedpony.8531

oneleggedpony.8531

TBH if groups kicked for every little thing that didnt conform to a specific dungeon running philosophy everyone would be complaining they can’t find groups. (wait a sec…. – yeah i have seen some of those posts).

bottom line: – common sense:

is it wise to run a dugeon with 5 signets as a warrior? – people will be looking at you wondering if it’s worth ressing.

is it wise to run a dungeon without a few weapon swaps in your bag? – if you’ve not got an alternative handy for fights, that can cause problems and it can be a pain.

ressing a downed character in melee range of a melee intensive boss is scary and dangerous.

you might be able to take the hits, but one unlucky miss timed dodge means youre out of the fight and you either have to die off and run back (hopefully not an option in future content) – or you’re risking another player perhaps 2 to come ress you in a dangerous situation.

reckon if you compromise and start running with ranged weapons for fights that are awkward and painful to melee – you’ll find it’s going to go smoother and feel less hectic.

TL:DR, – remember if you decide to go melee on a melee intensive boss it is not just your own neck you are risking. That busty red head way in the back might not like it if she has to run in and ress you.

Wethospu.6437

Should also kick every one who uses ranged on melee-favoured encounters. Simply slowing everyone down.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I don’t think most people understand the plight of the OP. Its very simple to understand:

Guardian ranged attacks are hot garbage. Hands down the worst in the game. So due to this issue most Guardian players probably do not run around with their range weapon.

Scepter’s skill 1 is too slow and is better in melee range.

Scepter’s skill 2, most mobs will just run out the small aoe.

Scepter’s skill 3, is a immobilize. Handy, best skill scepter has.

Staff is primarily a support weapon. You won’t do much dmg using skill 2 due to the cooldown.

So there you have it, Guardian ranged options are bare minimum. And do not blame players who choose not to want to use them. They have a excuse, might as well do support than to deal with using those atrocious skills that anet has classified as ranged attacks.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

High level fractals you’ll die with greatsword without any downmode even with 30 agony resistance ( doesn’t matter it’s cause of the dmg of the attack) even with full HP thougness set ( witch I’m pretty sure your not runing you die without downmode for example by the asura encounter after first jumping part where there is one firecharrboss that hits you with 3 fireballs if your melee you don’t have the time to dodge it or avoid it ( 1 aegis might pop up ) you get killed without downed mode with the other too. Since ppl should be able to play any role in order to help team the most ( not do most dps) It’s fair enough they kick you.. even if you have played your entire time with this guardian according you to lack ranged weapons makes you not beeing able to fullfill every role.

first scale 81 fractals

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

stop crying and get a range weapon. some srage are require to use long range. even i would kick you.

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

Now i realize you have no idea what you are doing and the people kicking you had good reasons. You cannot melee that dredge not because he hits you hard, but because you need to constantly kite him under the lava buckets, or else he will recover his HP.

Exacly , thank you.
And how exacly are you planning to melee lupicus on phase 2? Specialy when you have the agro? You have no time to react due to being right next to him, and oh my god ,you’re just a guardian you can’t do everything.There are no tanks in Guild Wars2 you can’t take what ever he trows at you.

Posted by: Hunter.6950

Hunter.6950

it doesn’t take a level 80 Guardian to admit that their ranged weapons, the Scepter and Staff, are not the best tools in the game.

Um…..Scepter/Torch is the highest output dps for guardian, more than the greatsword. It’s also amazing for range.

I wield a Greatsword accompanied by a Mace and Shield, specing directly into a complete set of gear focusing on Power, Vit. , and Toughness.

If you are using mace and shield which is the best support set as guardian make healing your primary, toughness, vit, then precision.

The greatsword is nice, but not for support builds (dungeons mean you need to support teammates), and if you are doing it for damage glass cannon? you are still doing it wrong. The weapon Scepter is far more superior than the GS. Yeah most people would rather carry a kitten sword than a wand like a fairy, but at the end of the day you can make way better specter torch builds than GS and you are more versatile. IMO GS is only good for PvE farming, hearts, quest, events, ect…. The only support is the symbol “IF” you get the trait where all symbols heal. But you have to take in account only the melee people will be near it, and it is small, so you would have to get all symbols are larger. Overall Greatsword is just not worth it in dungeons, and people have to get over it.

Dragons’ Solstice [SoL]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Should also kick every one who uses ranged on melee-favoured encounters. Simply slowing everyone down.

Most fights are melee-favoured Guess I will run solo from now ;<

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

it doesn’t take a level 80 Guardian to admit that their ranged weapons, the Scepter and Staff, are not the best tools in the game.

Um…..Scepter/Torch is the highest output dps for guardian, more than the greatsword. It’s also amazing for range.

I wield a Greatsword accompanied by a Mace and Shield, specing directly into a complete set of gear focusing on Power, Vit. , and Toughness.

If you are using mace and shield which is the best support set as guardian make healing your primary, toughness, vit, then precision.

The greatsword is nice, but not for support builds (dungeons mean you need to support teammates), and if you are doing it for damage glass cannon? you are still doing it wrong. The weapon Scepter is far more superior than the GS. Yeah most people would rather carry a kitten sword than a wand like a fairy, but at the end of the day you can make way better specter torch builds than GS and you are more versatile. IMO GS is only good for PvE farming, hearts, quest, events, ect…. The only support is the symbol “IF” you get the trait where all symbols heal. But you have to take in account only the melee people will be near it, and it is small, so you would have to get all symbols are larger. Overall Greatsword is just not worth it in dungeons, and people have to get over it.

While you bring up some valid points, you seem to forget that GreatSword does support teammates. It has the most combo finishers out of all guardian weapons. Making it easy to spread boons and conditions from ally combo fields.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Is the OP implying that he wasn’t a burden to the team? Are you implying that they kicked you purely on the fact that you didn’t have ranged or that they had to rez you multiple times and finally got frustrated enough that finding a 5th was more time efficient? I’d guess the latter knowing human nature.

Posted by: baalblade.8465

baalblade.8465

Standing in the back DOING NO FIGHTNING because you cannot fight the boss because you get 1 shot whenever you walk near the boss or whatever reason. So you stand on the back watching leeching free riding is NOT EXCUSABLE

Why? there is the thing call Weapon Swap. There is also a thing call Bag. If you cannot help the fight, then you are a burden to your group. Because why?

“oh Warrior Guardian range weapon suck, therefore I choose not to have them” Ok…then the party choose not to have you. Fair right?

Lesson learn…

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I must point out the raging ego’s in the player base, in general, and specifically in this and other threads regarding FotM. This update certainly has brought out the worst in many of you.

Do any of you realize there is no “right way” to play this game. It’s like the petty arguing I’ve experienced and read about over fighting the Legendary Dredge Powersuit. Running point to point clockwise, counter clockwise, or between two points doesn’t matter at all. Just do it and enjoy!!!

Most of you defending the kick are being quite rude and labeling. How about being nice and saying, “Well… imho…. doing it this way might not be as fun without the sword but, more advantageous because <insert opinion>” Like an adult should respectfully communicate their views.

As far as the kick and subsequent rudeness afterwards, that behavior is unwarranted.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

I am a level 80 guardian as well and when I made my “permanent” weapon choices, I picked 1. Great sword, 2. Hammer and 3. Staff. I never run a dungeon without having the staff equipped as a secondary weapon.

There are just too many situations were melee is 1. impractical, 2. inefficient, 3. against the group strategy. Guardians are a melee class and should be in melee but not having ranged is inexcusable in dungeons.

Edit:
I am not disputing that their are uber Guardians who can melee 100% of the time and maybe the OP is one of those uber Guardians. But if you team asks you to go range and you refuse, thus go against team strategy, your team is under no obligation to stick with you.

My thoughts exactly. I play a guardian too with hammer and staff mostly but I do switch for scepter/shield for some fights to be more efficient.
In the dredge fractal for example, I generally have the aggro on the last boss (he doesn’t like me sigh) and I find it much more convenient to fight him with scepter/shield and staff. If it’s the dredge one, I’ll take wall of reflection for his bombs, that way you protect your team mates and you do lots of damage. You can lead the boss where you want more easily from range and kite him more efficiently. You can immobilize him under the lava with scepter #3. You can switch to staff to speed up your team for kitting, empower with staff#4 to burst him and heal your team. Even if I don’t enjoy the scepter and I may not dps as much with it than with my hammer, I know I’ll be more efficient with it on some fights.
In the chaar fractal, it’d be funny if I tried to get those oils with my hammer. Sure your mates can take care of these for you but the sooner oils are destroyed, the sooner you destroy that door and get going and if you’re in a pug, you can’t be sure everybody is gonna survive and be able to damage those oils.

In the asura fractal, I change almost all my utility skill to get reflective ones to help people during the harpie phase. Sure you could just go melee if you want and leave your group to fall over and over but I’d rather grab stability shout, reflective wall, spirit shield and scepter/shield so that I can prevent them from falling and still damage the harpies.

I know it’s not really fun to use weapons you don’t like or don’t find efficient but I started to enjoy the scepter a bit more as I learnt how to use it properly for some fights. The scepter could use some tweaks to be better but it gets the job done when you need range.

Now I don’t think I would kick you from group for that, unless you’re a pain in the bum on top of that or failing entirely and holding the group back because you’re stuborn.