LFG tool : Group Merging

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Amicable Pugs.4503

Amicable Pugs.4503

I’m pretty sure many of you already had this issue, your groups 4/5 and some random guy joins and merges two groups resulting in your instance getting destroyed. So my question is, what the hell is this and why is it even there? Basically 1 guy can join any group and kick them out. This thing needs to get fixed …..

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

Yes its so horrible i dont get it too why this even exist.

Once i duo’ed AC p3 with a friend, and because were noobs and it was around 3am, we wanted to get ppl to help at endboss, well i merged the party with someone who was searching and got kicked…..

Blùb [LuPi]

Amicable Pugs.4503

Yep, so now we’re left alone just hoping Anet can actually read this and realize how stupid this is. Basically impossible to use the LFG tool now since there’s always the risk of being kicked.

Posted by: Debbysaurus.4016

Debbysaurus.4016

I’d like to know how this even got past the testing team…

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

You may wanna check this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/LFG-problems-and-suggestions

@Debbysaurus

Testing? Are you kidding me? The only thing they test for is BSOD’s/crashes. I may be wrong. But I think they implement it, and let the users test it. And fixing bugs reported by us is low, low, low priority, unless some players can earn ingame money/items by using the bugs.

Even the in-game bug reporting text widget, is bugged (pressing enter often does not advance the cursor to the begining of the next line. When writing text that occupies more than the hight of the widget, scrolling bugs occur)

And the chat is bugged (fx chat disappears, chat-tabs are permanently colored as if you have unread chat).

These bugs have been present since release AND they have been reported AND they can be fixed AND tested in 10 minutes. And there are many, many, many bugs like this.

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

I don’t understand.

sorenrye.7238

I don’t understand.

If some dude merges with your party, he becomes instance owner. If you kick him or he leaves, then you are kicked too.

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

playing well will keep you from getting kicked. Rare that a player kicks for anything but bad players.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

playing well will keep you from getting kicked. Rare that a player kicks for anything but bad players.

woooosh

Anicetus.1253

Just tested this and it’s completely broken. /anet

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

Yeah, I see now. Was blind.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The instance closing when the owner leaves is a bug in itself. If that is fixed then the merging will presumably be ok too?

Posted by: Wolf Saurus.3602

Wolf Saurus.3602

I have been in parties as well where this has happened, it gets rather annoying when you’re trying to do dungeons

Posted by: Ben Newell

Ben Newell

Next

Using the LFG tool to find more members for your party will not cause you to be booted from your instance, unless you choose to merge with another party. If you or a member of your party do, your party leaves the current one and joins the selected. If another party merges into yours, though, the instance is intact. This is because of the way dungeon instances are tied to parties, and the concept of instance ownership. Note that there is no such concept as party ownership, or leadership.

Posted by: DaGhostDS.9738

DaGhostDS.9738

Note that there is no such concept as party ownership, or leadership.

Slightly not true, “Leadership” being the player that entered the instance first which cause problem if that player leaves early, it should be transferred to the next player still in the instance instead of kicking all the players out and having to restart from nothing.

Anicetus.1253

I just hope this doesn’t mean that it’s working as intented and won’t be fixed. Why would you even have the possitibility to merge your full group with another one, that makes absolutely no sense.

Previous

Ben Newell

Next

There is no leadership of the party, it is an ownership of the instance. Instance ownership is not tied to the party; you are effectively guesting into someone else’s instance, which is only allowed to members of the party. When the owner leaves the party, the instance is closed.

I’m just clarifying the way that it works. We are definitely listening to your feedback on how you would like things to work.

(edited by Ben Newell.1759)

Posted by: Lucey.1452

Lucey.1452

Hey Ben, thanks for responding in this thread. It’s always nice for us in the dungeon community to see some interaction from the devs. Does this mean that at some point in time the issue where the instance owner leaves party will no longer kick the group, but instead transfer ownership of the next person in party with story mode unlocked? Also is there any talk about fixing the issue with only 2 people being needed to kick someone from the group (making a lot of us very wary of joining up with groups of friends)?

SoS
Professional Bag Farmer and Under Bridge Resider

Anicetus.1253

I might be mistaken but it seems like you don’t see the problem on this. For example, you want to pug a dungeon. Joining a 4/5 party that is already at endboss. For whatever reason you decide to merge (now that you are in a 5/5 party and shouldn’t be able to merge anymore since your party is full) with another party. You’ll now be in the other party - and the four other peoples instace at boss will be destroyed. So because of you all their time spent in the dungeon would have been for nothing.

Now, that usually shouldn’t happen since there is pretty much no reason why you woldn’t just leave the party first before joining the other one, therefore letting the other 4 people their dungeon progression. But since path selling exists (and is, from what we’ve been told legal to do unless exploits were involved) and some "white knights" like scamming the sellers by crashing their dungeons this can be abused absurdly easy. One person can simply decide to join a seller at endboss, merge with another party and get the dungeon seller kicked. Yeah, usually reporting should be enough but i’ve been kicked myself that way already, reported the kickers and sent a video about it happening, yet nothing happened since they still happily log in day for day.

Previous

Ben Newell

Next

I can’t talk about what changes are or are not happening in the future regarding party rules, but discussing how you want things to work is always valuable.

If you are in a full party and go into LFG, you won’t see any parties to merge into, Anicetus. If you are seeing situations where this is happening, it’s a bug (that I haven’t seen before), and it should be reported. The party list should only be populated with parties which your group could successfully merge into (the total number of players after merge is <= 5).

However, if you’re in a 4/5 party, and click merge on a single player, then you are forcing everyone in your party to join that lone player’s party. I believe this is probably where the confusion lies.

Anicetus.1253

I can’t talk about what changes are or are not happening in the future regarding party rules, but discussing how you want things to work is always valuable.

If you are in a full party and go into LFG, you won’t see any parties to merge into, Anicetus. If you are seeing situations where this is happening, it’s a bug (that I haven’t seen before), and it should be reported. The party list should only be populated with parties which your group could successfully merge into (the total number of players after merge is <= 5).

However, if you’re in a 4/5 party, and click merge on a single player, then you are forcing everyone in your party to join that lone player’s party. I believe this is probably where the confusion lies.

No, that isn’t the problem. It’s what you said is a bug. To be hinest before this thread i didn’t even knew it’s possible until i tried out. I might aswell jump in quick again, reproduce such situation so you see what the problem is. Give me 10 minutes.

Anicetus.1253

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/eSCQln5JJMU

I’m feeling dirty now

Previous

Ben Newell

Ouch. Thanks for the find, I’ll look into it.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Thank you Ben.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

There is no leadership of the party, it is an ownership of the instance. Instance ownership is not tied to the party; you are effectively guesting into someone else’s instance, which is only allowed to members of the party. When the owner leaves the party, the instance is closed.

I’m just clarifying the way that it works. We are definitely listening to your feedback on how you would like things to work.

Hi Ben! It’s always lovely to see a dev post in the dungeon forums. So thanks.

I think this issue is that there are many people that feel like they are the leader, because they are the instance owner. I can’t tell you how many times somebody has been completely rude/arrogant because they know you can’t kick them, or else all your progress is lost. I’ve had people explicitly say “Screw you, I’m the dungeon owner, so I’ll do what I want, kick me if you wanna lose all the progress” In an ideal world these people wouldn’t exist…. but they do.

I know this is more of an issue with individual people, but it would be nice if there was a fix, such as just passing the instance to somebody else (might require a symbol or notification of who the new instance owner is).

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I also had similar problem a while back. I solo CoE story mode and near the end I posted LFG so I can actually finish it. One by one people trickle in and once the 5th joins, I get booted out of my instance. At that time I simply ragequit since LFG tool has just trashed hours of hard work in a blink of an eye -.-

Debbysaurus.4016

Well at least they finally see what the problem is, now the waiting game begins …
Anyway, thnx dub.

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

sorenrye.7238

Using the LFG tool to find more members for your party will not cause you to be booted from your instance, unless you choose to merge with another party.

This is what happened to me:

1) I create a fotm, and enter swamp. I am not in a party / I am alone.

2) Only after locating swamp do I advertice on lfg.

3) A ranger joins my party, ignoring my lfg comments (lfm zerg wars).

4) I kick the ranger, and the result is, I get kicked from the instance.

I don’t know how you define ‘the owner’, but in my view I was the owner of the party and instance, regardless. So please fix this.

Again: The only thing I did was advertice my ‘1 man party’ on lfg. I didn’t invite, I didn’t join, and I didn’t merge with anyone. The actions taken to join my party, was taken by someone other than me (the ranger). If this is not connected to ‘merge’, as I assumed in this and another thread, then it is probably connected to the normal modus operandi of join/invite. Before/without the LFG system, you can only /join someone that is in a party with more than 1 member, you need to /invite someone that is in a 1 man party. This is probably what causes the bug, but what do I know. I haven’t seen your code. I never understood why you can’t /join a player that is not in a party anyway.

(edited by sorenrye.7238)

Posted by: Mehrdad.8423

Mehrdad.8423

Hope they fix this merge/kick system at 12th nov update

then all can be in peace and do dungeon so easy.

Devs pls Dont be LAZY and do this as soon as u can.

debby and kitten y GL and HF in game(hope u guys get ur parties too) im talking so friendly and No Offensive at all. im happy other ppl get parties too. hope u happy 2

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Did this ever get fixed? I’ve been gone since Oct 15th and haven’t been able to test.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Did this ever get fixed? I’ve been gone since Oct 15th and haven’t been able to test.

This is 5 days old. He just found out about it 3 days ago. I’d be surprised if anybody is even working on it yet.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Ohhhh. Totally misread the dates on the thread. Was under the impression is was almost month old.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Shadowsong.4820

Shadowsong.4820

This is what happened to me:

1) I create a fotm, and enter swamp. I am not in a party / I am alone.

2) Only after locating swamp do I advertice on lfg.

3) A ranger joins my party, ignoring my lfg comments (lfm zerg wars).

4) I kick the ranger, and the result is, I get kicked from the instance.

The exact same thing happened to me. This makes running fractals via the LFG tool a real pain because the tool is abused by players ignoring even the basic requirements for a specific dungeon (I’m looking at you, fractals-scaling-players-up-to-80-and-low- level-players-therefore-being-able-to-join-fractals).

The LFG-tool/Groupsystem really needs some reworks:
-The afore-mentioned bug/bugs
-A minority being able to kick the majority of the group (wtf was the idea behind that?)
-Instance ownership (even though we’re a solid group we’re considered GUESTS of one semi-random groupmember?)

sorenrye.7238

This makes running fractals via the LFG tool a real pain because the tool is abused by players ignoring even the basic requirements for a specific dungeon (I’m looking at you, fractals-scaling-players-up-to-80-and-low- level-players-therefore-being-able-to-join-fractals).

Btw, I forgot to mention that the ranger that joined my fotm was level 41, and he didn’t respond to chat. He didn’t leave when asked to.

I created a thread, that suggested that anet implements a filter to prevent people joining, so that you don’t have to go throug the hazzle of getting kicked from your own instance, kicking, reinviting, kicking, reinvinting, etc.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/LFG-problems-and-suggestions

But the thread got trolled by people that want to discuss if one kind of player is better or worse than any other player, even though I asked people not to discuss that stuff in the original post.

Debbysaurus.4016

8 days ago since Ben has been aware of this.
I’m sure he informed the other dev’s about it , yet no change what so ever..
Can you guys at least disable the “merge” button untill it works propherly?
More and more people are abusing this broken piece of crap, kicking innocent teams, just to troll people.

It took A-net 4 hours to disable a certain food to stop a unfair advantage in dragon arena, takes them weeks to disable a game breaking / ruinning “feature”.

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

(edited by Debbysaurus.4016)

Amicable Pugs.4503

Disabling the merge feature is actually a great idea till this thing gets fixed.

Posted by: tAzz.8497

tAzz.8497

Anet doesnt care about this.
We cant even see who joined, who kicks who, why 2 trolls can kick 3 players etc
Ive reported players griefing like this using the report system ingame, ive done reports on the site and nothing , just a generic email.
Those who have kicked me out of dungeon, merged my party or my friend’s, are still playing like nothing happened. kitteng trolls with 1k-2k ap
Lets just keep the lfg with a BIG BETA on it , maybe that makes it right that after 15 years of mmos, in 2013 this is what we get for a lfg tool. NICE SO kittenG NICE ANET

ps: now i love even more the kittened rangers . FR ppl and DE ppl; every single troll was one of the 3 above in the 1k-2k ap range. Gotta love when a nab fks u up.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I am lucky I never had any issues aside from ‘leader’ leaving too early before I could open my end chest. But again although I appreciate that a developer takes his time to post/read here, it is very questionnalbe that they aren’t aware of such problems. It goes into the same direction with the individual dungeon rewards: giving Sorrow’s Embrace Path 2 and Honor of the Waves path 2 the same reward (1g) as CoF1 or SE1 is ridiculous and the only explanation I can find is that they have no idea that these paths are much longer and/or harder. It really seems that they simply have not enough personnell to extensively test their own game and since they don’t have any test servers this unfinished feel since the Betas will continue.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Amalvis.7208

Amalvis.7208

Disabling the merge feature is actually a great idea till this thing gets fixed.

This is a very good idea, getting really tired of trolls giving me loading screens when in a dungeon PUG.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Everyone is just going to have to get back to using gw2lfg. It’s safe from this kind of issue; plus, fewer numbers of people using Anet’s lfg is the only way to get Anet to act.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Everyone is just going to have to get back to using gw2lfg. It’s safe from this kind of issue; plus, fewer numbers of people using Anet’s lfg is the only way to get Anet to act.

The only way to get Anet to act is to a) find an exploit which makes you a lot of money/gives you a big advantage over others or b) have the majority of the playerbase complain about it. Since neither of these is true for this case it will probably be a long time before this is fixed, if at all.

Nova [rT]

Debbysaurus.4016

The only way to get Anet to act is to a) find an exploit which makes you a lot of money/gives you a big advantage over others or b) have the majority of the playerbase complain about it. Since neither of these is true for this case it will probably be a long time before this is fixed, if at all.

Only wayto get that to happen is if everyone merge bugs every party on lfg, force the people to complain about it….
Maybe then Anet will see the problem.

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Only wayto get that to happen is if everyone merge bugs every party on lfg, force the people to complain about it….
Maybe then Anet will see the problem.

Yeah, should get a group of players to crash every group on the LFG.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

Fix this now! or disable this feauture nobody uses it anyway

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

And are there plans to change that? It’s one of the things people have been complaining since release (in fact, since beta). I’m not aware of any other game that does this (kick everyone if the first player who entered has to leave).

Can’t be too hard to either a) use a dedicated “party” entity or b) reassign ownership of the instance to another player if anyone is still inside it when the original owner leaves.

As the saying goes, “a smart man learns from his mistakes; a smarter man learns from other people’s”. GW2’s dungeon mechanics in general seem to have been developed without looking at how other MMOs do things, and haven’t really improved since beta (unlike other areas of the game, such as the graphics engine, which is much better now).

- Al Zheimer

Debbysaurus.4016

give us a kittening update about it alreaddy -.-

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Sadly ANET rarely read the dungeon forum :/

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

this is by far one of the main reasons I stopped playing recently. Getting trolled after spending hours inside a dungeon and coming up with nothing MULTIPLE times while there’s no way to stop the abuser is just too discouraging.

Posted by: Acolyte.6294

Acolyte.6294

The LFG tool is in beta everyone… What we need is a list of fixes that we as players would like to see.

I would like the following:

• Owners of instances should not be allowed to be kicked.
  • Merging with other parties should proc a message, "Do you wish to leave your current instance. Yes/No " – so that you avoid accidentally merging and loosing your progress in a dungeon.
  • Party chat should not disappear from your chat menu after you leave a party
  • Only the dungeon instance owner should be allowed to have the option of merging parties. The rest of the players in the party should not be allowed to decide who joins a party.

Debbysaurus.4016

still happens countless times daily and nothing is being done about it ….

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel