Mai Trin now impossible :\

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I admit, think they overdid it a little bit. I’m used to the cannon phase on lvl 40 or 50 pre-change on guardian and thief and never had that much trouble. Then there came that funny level 11 the other night and I sometimes had serious trouble on my warrior to stay alive.

I know they can sometimes single you out during the cannon phase and if that happens you are screwed. But as far as I remember that only happened once to me that night. Still took a worse beating than what I’m used to from higher levels pre-change on characters with a much smaller healthpool.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

On a level 20 today…
5-6k+ pistol spin
5-6k+ teleporting shot
5k+ slice
7-7k5+ Horrik’s cannon blast – this includes the cannon phase obv. I think I saw it going above 8k – almost 9 – but I’m not sure, haven’t screened it…

I’m very glad I’m not learning fractals right now. I’d have to restart everytime I get Mai on a 10+, since I can’t imagine the even-more-newbie-than-now old me (almost 2 years ago), with my old newbs teammates as being able to take her down. We’d surely fail.

But fracs 20 is endgame, rite.

Posted by: bretfrag.5607

bretfrag.5607

She’s certainly more difficult, but she’s far from impossible. A guard with aegis is of course helpful, and in general your team has to be vigilant about reviving downed players, because a wipe is never far away with the damage she’s doing.
I actually found the cannon salvo more difficult than Mai herself. Not sure if Anet have tweaked that or I was just having a bad day.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Even if her teleport and lightning attacks did 100k damage you won’t die if you don’t get hit. Please review guides related to Mai Trin to glean some insight on strategies that work, practice the fight, and become one of the people who say it’s easy when threads like this are made.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Even if her teleport and lightning attacks did 100k damage you won’t die if you don’t get hit. Please review guides related to Mai Trin to glean some insight on strategies that work, practice the fight, and become one of the people who say it’s easy when threads like this are made.

“You won’t die if you don’t get hit” – Yes, that’s wonderful, except they’re undodgeable. I know exactly that only the target farthest away will be targeted for her teleporting shot, yet you can’t always evade becoming the target, at least in pugs. Content should be pugable as long as it’s not said otherwise, especially if the rest of the whole instance is faceroll compared to Mai Trin as it is now. Also, a fight with undodgeables is unacceptable as long as there are classes without or with less blocks than other classes.

While it is a l2p issue to a certain degree, there are other things wrong with the encounter or even the game/classes themselves which make the encounter in its current state not acceptable imo.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Word, as long as you don’t get hit by the instant teleport instant down attack that she has no tell for. Good job with that insight genius.

deSade.9437

Everything seems easy after practicing. Now I find lupi so easy I sleep through it, and this proves… nothing about the fight itself. Just that I’ve done too much arah. I won’t elaborate on this concept because it’d be too hard to grasp, I guess.

E: Waaaaaat, the projectile does have a tell, a pretty clear tell. It has like a 2s windup, come on. And it’s not an insta-down.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Word, as long as you don’t get hit by the instant teleport instant down attack that she has no tell for. Good job with that insight genius.

Lol she points at you for 2 whole seconds. That’s a tell. Yep yep. It’s like a villain monologue.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Dinks.2478

Lol she points at you for 2 whole seconds. That’s a tell. Yep yep. It’s like a villain monologue.

Are you joking? She does no such thing. I’ve seen her melee one dude down in one shot then instantly teleport and one shot another person. Maybe she takes 2 seconds at like a lvl 9 or something, I haven’t done noob levels in a long time.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

She aims her pistol at the player furthest from her. You have a good amount of time to dodge this, if you don’t see it it’s literally just you not paying attention.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Lilith Ajit.6173

She aims her pistol at the player furthest from her. You have a good amount of time to dodge this, if you don’t see it it’s literally just you not paying attention.

Well to be fair you can’t dodge it. But blocking, going invuln, reflecting, or destroying projectile works like a charm! Well reflecting protects you anyway

At the guy calling me a noob, so classy. My level 49s are such noob and I’m a total casual

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Dinks.2478

Yeah, she aims her pistol at you as she shoots instantly and then one shots you. Such an amazing tell!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

kitten , i mean block.

and no, she does not shoot instantly. literally just do the fractal and you’ll see she points at you for like a good two seconds.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, she aims her pistol at you as she shoots instantly and then one shots you. Such an amazing tell!

I’m going to take a stab at being civil unlike you, and say it is possible that with lag or a poor internet connection it might look like an instant shot. That’s a possibility but for me, with an excellent internet connection on both my EU and NA accounts the time between the point and the shot is literally 2 seconds.

[ARES]

Dinks.2478

I’m going to take a stab at being civil unlike you, and say it is possible that with lag or a poor internet connection it might look like an instant shot. That’s a possibility but for me, with an excellent internet connection on both my EU and NA accounts the time between the point and the shot is literally 2 seconds.

You count fast, unfortunately seconds are a universal standard so even if you count really fast instant (for the sake of practicality) is still instant and not 2 seconds.

With that said, they might as well remove agony as a mechanic because having a mechanic like AR is pointless when the bosses are so OP all of her attacks are one shots. No class has that many dodges and blocks and invulnerability.

deSade.9437

Ehhhhh, and I thought I was being a little whiny.

Lilith Ajit.6173

You count fast, unfortunately seconds are a universal standard so even if you count really fast instant (for the sake of practicality) is still instant and not 2 seconds.

With that said, they might as well remove agony as a mechanic because having a mechanic like AR is pointless when the bosses are so OP all of her attacks are one shots. No class has that many dodges and blocks and invulnerability.

scratches head

My ele has that many. Warriors and Guardians too. Mesmers have multiple, more than I can count. Engis and thieves might have a rough time but rangers and necro are the only class I can see that doesn’t have as much access as the rest and I could be wrong about ranger… I don’t really play mine.

I’m sure you have the best intentions and all but I can tell you my information is completely accurate. I’m not a scrub and I’m not exactly a fractal casual, I pretty much live there nowadays.

[ARES]

NovaanVerdiano.6174

scratches head

My ele has that many. Warriors and Guardians too. Mesmers have multiple, more than I can count. Engis and thieves might have a rough time but rangers and necro are the only class I can see that doesn’t have as much access as the rest and I could be wrong about ranger… I don’t really play mine.

I’m sure you have the best intentions and all but I can tell you my information is completely accurate. I’m not a scrub and I’m not exactly a fractal casual, I pretty much live there nowadays.

Ranger does have a block on his greatsword. Necromancer gets shafted as usual.

Lilith Ajit.6173

scratches head

Good to know. I sport my dreamer full time on my ranger Buahahahaha

I’m joking. Sorta. She’s just a fashion icon.

Poor necro.

[ARES]

NovaanVerdiano.6174

scratches head

Good to know. I sport my dreamer full time on my ranger Buahahahaha

I’m joking. Sorta. She’s just a fashion icon.

Poor necro.

My necro cries herself into sleep every night, it’s that bad.

Also… dreamer… fashion… do not comprehend.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

ummm

it really is a huge tell. It’s long been standard practice for mesmers to use scepter/sword, stand at a distance, and block all the attacks. Literally no one in my parties ever downs on that attack (though they do down/take damage on the attacks that I can’t bait and block), because I’m always standing at range and blocking her. And I’m not even very good at reading tells!

It’s not an easy fight, but this part of it is not bad.

PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfpkN_HV7fk#t=80 or so (1:20 or on the video) when she does the little jump and points to the right side of the room where someone is camping (you can tell there’s one person there on the minimap). She does a little hop and points, shoots out the projectile, gets blocked, and doesn’t actually shadowstep. You can also tell she’s about to do it because she’s standing completely still for quite some time after that little hop.

(edited by maxinion.8396)

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Right at the start when Sandy enters the room. Its around 2 seconds. Learn to claim, dude.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Novaan, you were right about Horrik’s range indicators!

They are certainly off now. I know this because I finally had the opportunity to attempt soloing on lvl 50!

First try I wiped on the third cannon phase (kitten me, right?). I wasn’t going nearly as fast as Sesshi’s was because I was like, totally afraid of Horrik now. Sometimes his range indicators were totally off but sometimes they were spot on… there was no consistency and it was completely throwing me off to just suddenly take 8k damage inexplicably from an AoE that i was several steps away from.

It was very frustrating to have failed at third cannon phase because I spiked in ping VERY high and started a series of #dobe lagging, where I’d be running around during cannon phase for a minute with nothing happening and suddenly booted to the character select screen with that stupid disconnected prompt.

http://i.imgur.com/jvzMJ8X.jpg

^ Story of my kitten life. That just happened as I was typing this L.

Anyways, after a few more disconnects it was over and I actually managed to get a Fractal Trident… woo! Had a ton of fun too.

E: Wtf, I can’t even stay logged in to bank the skin now. OK TIME WARNER. Signature home service my kitten .

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: Miaire.5468

Miaire.5468

I don’t play Necromancer in Fractals but can’t you eat the damage with Death Shroud?

Posted by: Chainheart.6139

Chainheart.6139

With you’re average group of PUGs, this is F*#&ing horrible! Fix it Anet.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

They are certainly off now. I know this because I finally had the opportunity to attempt soloing on lvl 50!

I’ll tell you how bugs are Always mistaken for “difficult content”.

If you play lupicus you will see lot of people thinks that is quite difficult to survive lupicus shots.

That is why the aoes are totally unconsistent.
But they are not random, but simply projectiles will hit you on their way to the aoe if they are on the proper heigth, so even if you are way out of the aoe you will be hit.

That makes evading them quite difficult because you don t have a real tell on if they will hit or not.
You can use a reasonable prediction but still not much reliable.

Same exact mechanics happens with horrik AND cannon salvo.

Fire projectiles traveling straight to the aoe tends to hit anyone who is in their trajectory.

Its obviously a bug, but anet gives extreely low priority to bugs that goes against players.

P.S. now try to do it in a pug run of level 20-40 without losing time comparable to old dredge fractal.
I totally quit helping people to level until they fix the fractal because no doubt is a bug on scaling.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I’ll tell you how bugs are Always mistaken for “difficult content”.

If you play lupicus you will see lot of people thinks that is quite difficult to survive lupicus shots.

That is why the aoes are totally unconsistent.
But they are not random, but simply projectiles will hit you on their way to the aoe if they are on the proper heigth, so even if you are way out of the aoe you will be hit.

That makes evading them quite difficult because you don t have a real tell on if they will hit or not.
You can use a reasonable prediction but still not much reliable.

Same exact mechanics happens with horrik AND cannon salvo.

Fire projectiles traveling straight to the aoe tends to hit anyone who is in their trajectory.

Its obviously a bug, but anet gives extreely low priority to bugs that goes against players.

I consider that a feature personally. Albeit one that isnt documented?

You know sorta like how you can hit multiple mobs by aiming at the one in the rear and lining em up. Unless you want to take away piercing from a couple trait lines.(atleast i think its traits) deleted ranged a while ago.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

LordByron.8369

If you give a tell and its unreliable and almost useless it can t be a feature.

Why then not removing the aoe at all?
At lupi they are totally useless.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

unfortunately for projectiles it is for me. I know its intended path and intended landing location. But then again I like sniping in arma with ace and heavy wind.

btw for ac when you get the little marked icon. dont waste a dodge/block/invuln. Simply stand behind your fellow player. He will eat the massive damage for you.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Just on thing i want give her a bigger model.

Purple Miku.7032

It’s not the same thing here.

Also just saying, a few times I screwed up and got hit by Mai’s attacks when I was attempting a kill with pugs (it’s a lot more difficult for me to focus on her with pure chaos ensuing, besides other people can cause her character model to bug animations on occasion) and not once was I 1-hit. Granted I was on a warrior, but people really exaggerate the damage she deals. Her autoattacks are only ~4-5k and extremely easy to avoid. Her swirling attack that can’t be blocked hits around the same and while it’s about half of a zerk ele’s hp, it’s not punishing enough to completely ruin the chances of surviving as long as you don’t lose sight of her— that’s the key. Keep your camera angled so that you can see Mai Trin at all times and concentrate on her so that you can time your skills properly. Her teleportation projectile is extremely predictable so as long as you have a block ready for it, you won’t die. If you don’t and aren’t on a warrior then you’re going to get hit for about 14k or so, which is very deadly.

[This paragraph below is referring to solo btw]:
The only seriously terrible part that I find now is exactly what I expected— the cannon phase. The RNG of it is absolute garbage. Without stealth you’re pretty much guaranteed to die if you run out of swiftness for even a second. Horrik hits way harder than Mai does, so having permanent swiftness to be able to kite Mai and not get hit by him is a must. Like I said, his AoE indicators are totally buggy so that is definitely going to cause people problems.

I had no idea they screwed them up until Novaan mentioned it and I saw it for myself ingame.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

LordByron.8369

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/157127/gw021.png

Got this from reddit.
Its a low level fractal her autochain can down you without even considering conditions.

GW2 balance:

Purple Miku.7032

They must have already been in downed state then. Can’t think of why someone would allow her to just unload her autoattack chain on em like that.

LordByron.8369

As if mai chain wasn t 1,5 second long and like there is not that funny bug that empties your Whole endurance bar with no evade.

Just to say a couple reasons.

GW2 balance:

NovaanVerdiano.6174

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/157127/gw021.png

Got this from reddit.
Its a low level fractal her autochain can down you without even considering conditions.

Waitwat, my combat log made its way to reddit?

@Purple: Yeah, the teleporting shot downed me, the rest followed up. The numbers were pretty much like this the whole fight though, with Horrik’s hardest hitting shoe being 8,383 (when being alive, during the cannon phase) as Necromancer.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

While I feel for Necros and someone new to this, I don’t see that much trouble with the normal phase. Yes I make mistakes like everyone else (most likely more so), but with a bit of consideration you can at least revive someone during the normal phase.

I’m much more concerned about the increased damage during the cannon phase.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

scratches head

Might be a bit late for this, but additionally you can use axe off-hand and easily trait for signet cd and signet of the beastmaster and slot signet of stone. You can take all of them, forsake any ranged option and easily take 7 shots in a row, gs→axe→gs→sig→gs→axe→gs.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

For engineers, I haven’t tested this yet, but timing the deployment of Rifle Turret -might- count as a block for the electric whirl. Not sure if bodyblocking works, but if it does, deploy-undeploy can block a shot.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

For engineers, I haven’t tested this yet, but timing the deployment of Rifle Turret -might- count as a block for the electric whirl. Not sure if bodyblocking works, but if it does, deploy-undeploy can block a shot.

P/S and toolkit with the invuln elixir is pretty much all you need. You can even trait toolkit block to be on 20 sec cooldown.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

They are increasing difficulty but drop is crappy as hell.

Posted by: Engine Ports.4056

Engine Ports.4056

If anything, they should slow her down just a LITTLE bit.

Sometimes she just wallops you so hard, at break-neck speed, with a series of really powerful hits—not to mention the bleeding. I mean, I know how to manage a gaurdian and engi: their blocks, burst heals, and condition removal—and 100% vigor uptimes.

But suddenly she’ll target me. She’ll aim at me, I’ll dodge (I know you have to block this move, but we should seriously be able to dodge this move), but she’ll hit me anyway and teleport next to me. I dodge out knowing she will attack and give me bleeding—she knicks me just a little. At this point I heal, to clear the bleeding, and because my health is at 10%. She then sends bolts of lightning, which I am able to block. Suddenly, Horric’s bomb will target me. Luckily I had vigor and I dodge out of that. But then she aims at me again. Luckily, the gaurd can then use his elite skill to block it and gain an additional block and bust heal. But the poor engi is probably dead. Every thing is on cool down.

This is madness.

All I can say is, if they could make it so Mai uses one skill on one person at time, it could make the fight fun and totally doable, yet still rely on the skills of the player. Kinda like how the grawl fractal works, I guess.

That, or take away her defiance. If I could slow her down myself, I totally would. But I guess that would only be fun since my engi could turn her into a rag doll.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Keep calm and watch out for her attack.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

We encountered her two days in a row. We normally find her a good, solid fight but now we couldn’t come close to beating her. She ignored stealth, targeting stealthed characters repeatedly. She ignored my Aegis, attacking right through it. Something is seriously broken here and needs to be fixed. Noone in either party wants to do fractals at all as long as she is there.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Aegis and blocks work against Mai. They don’t against Horik.

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Well, after a nice run in lv28 for daily, we ended with Mai Trin and wasted 1hour 30mins wiping on this now-impossible boss!

Her shadowstep alone took 90% my hp!!! Other abilities were dealing 50-60% of my hp and that is without even being hit by a single sword swing from her or any bleeds.

This killed the group, and after 2hours in fractals, the group disbanded and now I cannot complete the 20+ fractals if we get Mai Trin.

Please resolve this!

I dont know what was patched, but in any case if you are getting hit by shadowstep means someone in your group is ranging. Do not range.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

The word “impossible” gets thrown around here a lot and exaggerates the fact that something is or became “difficult”. At the very least, see if someone else overcame this “impossible” task before making false, general claims.

People have already proven that they can complete this fractal at varying scales and are even offering advice. Some have even soloed it. Therefore, Mai Trin is not “impossible”, but rather, maybe she’s more difficult or tuned above your preference.

Posted by: Alegz.6870

Alegz.6870

I don’t want to talk much on this thread and my English skill is a little lower than medium but i will point what they could at least change on her:

-Some highlights when she is doing her “shadow step” because that she is doing /point on me doesn’t mean i see she is doing it and i have 0,5 sec or 1 sec to react… and yea i tried dodge… Didn’t work.

-Horrik’s AoE a little nerf (?)

-Less condi (debuffs) from her, 5 stack of bleed on one hits it’s a little bit too much and when i try do range, she do her “shadow step” and we back to point 1.

-Possibility to dodge when she is doing her “shadow step”, dodge on this isn’t working and it only can be blocked, not every classes have block… and going on fractal with 4 guardians and mes/ele/warrior it’s pointless imo.

I understand that now this game have some challenge etc. but come one guys, doing a 30-40 min fractal run and suddenly doing 2hours of Mai Trin isn’t fun at all. I am doing fractals as mesmer (for now), i have ascended zerk build (yea yea, noob etc wow, try something else) and i can’t change on something else…. And i don’t like idea to craft new items just for HER. Soo think a little bit because some warrior done solo it doesn’t mean she can be killed, HE ONLY WAS BLOCKING HER…..

Posted by: Sera.6250

Sera.6250

So, I’ve played around with this a bit now, in lower/mid difficulties

if you have a warr in your party, have them switch to preferred defensive gear, (i did soldier’s) and equipped mace MH, sword OH / Rifle with Endure Pain, shake it off, and then whatever you want, trait for reflect with Defence V

stand at max range and wait for her tell, reflect it, dodge as soon as you get pulled, and should be able to switch weapons and blow CD and then switch again before next pull, you should have 3 blocks/reflects so even if you kitten up you’ve still got a back up, so it’s fairly forgiving imo

if you have warr tanking all her pulls, rest of the party really just bumbles around until her shield falls and DPS and repeat, it’s not TOO hard, but if you just have someone dedicated to tanking her pulls, takes a lot of pressure off pugs

LordByron.8369

I’ll ask again to the small crowd showingoff how they can do it.
I can do it also at 50…..but try 33 and 42 and so on with pugs.

But aside that.

Is it fun?

GW2 balance:

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

ya it is fun, because it actually forces you to pay attention to her attacks and use your own skills accordingly.

if your class doesn’t have the blocks to handle it, then stay in melee range and dodge instead.