Mai Trin projectile questions

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Q:

Hey, just a few Mai Trin questions about her mechanics. If anyone could help me out, please!

Mai Trin’s spiral bolts.

a) These cannot be reflected, but can they be destroyed by Swirling Winds or Mesmer Illusions?

b) Can the spiral bolts go THROUGH allies? Let’s say I am standing in front of someone, and she aims the spiral bolts at me. Will the bolt go THROUGH me and hit the chump behind me as well?

c) Similar to the above question, if I am standing behind a minion, will the minion simply soak up the spiral bolt, or will it go through?

Thanks!

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

A:

A) they can be blocked by untraited wardens, not by swirling winds. And Im sure they can bodyblock it.

B) they do not go through allies, making it bodyblockable

C) based on a and b, the projectile will be soaked up by the minion

Dub and I tested it

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

(edited by Sanderinoa.8065)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

a) as far as I know, you can’t block the projectiles and you have to dodge them/whirlwind/evade.

b) pretty sure they don’t, but not 100% sure

c) good question. i’m going to guess yes, but i haven’t tested it.

Posted by: Majuub.6215

Majuub.6215

From what i’ve seen, her teleport projectile can be reflected/destroyed, but not evaded. And her triple shot projectile cannot be blocked/reflected, but can be dodged. Not sure about pierce on it.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

No pierce on it.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Thanks all!

Minion Master seems a lot more useful than I thought for Mai Trin on level 49. Perhaps even the dreaded Bearbow has a use for once?

Posted by: captainteemo.6537

captainteemo.6537

Bump for interest. I want to know if I should be untraiting my warden for this fight.

Sanderinoa.8065

Bump for interest. I want to know if I should be untraiting my warden for this fight.

I’d say you’re better off traiting them so you can protect your party better with temporal curtain, wardens get wrecked too much now anyways to provide support for the spiral attack.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

I don’t think relying on the warden to block the shadowstep projectiles is a good idea— the wardens are going to die from AoEs, splash, and just spin at random times. As a mesmer, your better options for blocking are scepter 2 and sword 4 (preferably sword 4 as it hits like a truck). Many parties have mesmers just stand at range and block all day with those abilities to keep Mai from shadowstepping.

Sanderinoa.8065

I don’t think relying on the warden to block the shadowstep projectiles is a good idea— the wardens are going to die from AoEs, splash, and just spin at random times. As a mesmer, your better options for blocking are scepter 2 and sword 4 (preferably sword 4 as it hits like a truck). Many parties have mesmers just stand at range and block all day with those abilities to keep Mai from shadowstepping.

Ohmymaxi what is this blasphemy! And technically we aren’t talking about the shadowstep, but about the unblockable attack, so the captain wonders of he should untrait wardens to block that.

This is a fight mesmers should be praising! as its exactly where you can carry a party through, not by standing at range, but by joining the fight and reflecting and blocking her projectiles so your members don’t die! Only if you’re completely out of reflects for a while I’d justify going to long range.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

Ohmymaxi what is this blasphemy! And technically we aren’t talking about the shadowstep, but about the unblockable attack, so the captain wonders of he should untrait wardens to block that.

This is a fight mesmers should be praising! as its exactly where you can carry a party through, not by standing at range, but by joining the fight and reflecting and blocking her projectiles so your members don’t die! Only if you’re completely out of reflects for a while I’d justify going to long range.

Alright, well, I’ll have to try that more I’ve always just done the “camp at range and block the unreflectable/undodgeable shadowsteps,” like DnT shows here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfpkN_HV7fk&feature=youtu.be This has been hugely helpful in carrying teams, but reflecting the other projectiles is also useful of course (and something I personally need to work more on— before the patch, when she didn’t hit so hard, I left the guard to focus on reflecting those along with my occasional feedbacks).

(edited by maxinion.8396)

Sanderinoa.8065

Just confirmed by oneshotting dub, the spiral bolts can be bodyblocked!

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I feel so used now. :<

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by Dub.1273)

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

Dub and I tested it

Actually, they don’t get bodyblocked if they are evaded by their target. Generally, evaded projectiles don’t get destroyed, at least visually.

Bolts that collide with players who are invulnerable will be destroyed though.

Sanderinoa.8065

Dub and I tested it

Actually, they don’t get bodyblocked if they are evaded by their target. Generally, evaded projectiles don’t get destroyed, at least visually.

Bolts that collide with players who are invulnerable will be destroyed though.

to bodyblock = to block something with your body, taking the hit.

Evading it does not count as bodyblocking :P

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

By the way, Sandy, if you have a video of how you handle all the projectiles that’d be much appreciated.

Sanderinoa.8065

By the way, Sandy, if you have a video of how you handle all the projectiles that’d be much appreciated.

How I ‘handle’ all the projectiles? As in, in a team setting?

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

Yes, exactly. I’ve seen your solo, which is fabulous, but you were saying you handle all projectiles in melee in the reply above, and so I’m curious how that works out in practice, as it’s very different from how I’ve always played against her. If there’s a better way, I always want to do it that way, ofc

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

If your teams in a pickle you can use untraited wardens on horrik to stop his op cannon shots. Useful mesmer tip.

maxinion.8396

If your teams in a pickle you can use untraited wardens on horrik to stop his op cannon shots. Useful mesmer tip.

TIL!

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Should have asked Jerem, Max. The way Sandy handles all the projectiles is to let everyone else die, then proceed to solo – the same way you’ve seen in the video.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Sanderinoa.8065

Should have asked Jerem, Max. The way Sandy handles all the projectiles is to let everyone else die, then proceed to solo – the same way you’ve seen in the video.

The kitten Iris?! XD I ran with lilith more recently. She knows a bit better

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Iris Ng.9845

Like how many times more?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Question if a ranger put a spirit as far as possible from her will she use her tp skill on it.

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Yes, exactly. I’ve seen your solo, which is fabulous, but you were saying you handle all projectiles in melee in the reply above, and so I’m curious how that works out in practice, as it’s very different from how I’ve always played against her. If there’s a better way, I always want to do it that way, ofc

Well you can reflect pretty much every shadowstep attack (if the warden don’t bug out and there’s no AoE where Mai Trin is (and if your party is quick enough, you don’t need to use the wardens). Guardian can save an aegis for the group in case you don’t have reflects up.

You can basically reflect 3 shadowstep in a row without Wardens with Curtain → Feedback → Curtain. With Warden, you should have perma reflect, but since it’s not that reliable, you should probably count on another team member after the 3rd reflect for an Aegis / Wall / Swirling Winds or even Magnetic Aura if you have an Aura share Ele (but I seriously hope you don’t).

Also as a mesmer you can portal everyone to a safe spot for the cannon phase (I usually go for the portal after one of the shadowstep attack when Mai have less than 4 stacks and is close to the canon phase.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I know that dungeon forum purpose is to show peoples skill by answering L2P everywhere.

But its quite an insult to human intelligence to debate if mai trinn at level 21-40 is balanced.
Its clearly not: play any other and then play Mai….

Also i say that LFG tool is clearly speaking by itself on how the community likes the fractal.
I didn t see fractals so empty since cliffside had a gamebreaking bug making adepts+fanatics to infinite spawn at boss (and sum each phase you end up with 12-16 if i remember well).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

I know that dungeon forum purpose is to show peoples skill by answering L2P everywhere.

But its quite an insult to human intelligence to debate if mai trinn at level 21-40 is balanced.

Also i say that LFG tool is clearly speaking by itself on how the community likes the fractal.
I didn t see fractals so empty since cliffside had a gamebreaking bug making adepts+fanatics to infinite spawn at boss (and sum each phase you end up with 12-16 if i remember well).

Just pugged a lvl 29 with someone who was new to fractals. 1-2 downs, not a single wipe at Mai (I just told them they need to stay closer to her than me so I can take her shadowshot aggro).

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Alegz.6870

Alegz.6870

Soo far any guides are kiting warriors or guardians, classes that have block to block her attacks. Is there any GOOD (not some random Tom done his super uper low guide) for mesmer/ele/thief?

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Soo far any guides are kiting warriors or guardians, classes that have block to block her attacks. Is there any GOOD (not some random Tom done his super uper low guide) for mesmer/ele/thief?

Mesmer have access to block with Sword offhand and with Blade Training, you’re able to block every single shadowstep attack from Mai (but the best is to reflect it with Temporal Curtain / Feedback / Warden, assuming you have Warden’s Feedback, Inspiration VIII)

maxinion.8396

Well you can reflect pretty much every shadowstep attack (if the warden don’t bug out and there’s no AoE where Mai Trin is (and if your party is quick enough, you don’t need to use the wardens). Guardian can save an aegis for the group in case you don’t have reflects up.

You can basically reflect 3 shadowstep in a row without Wardens with Curtain -> Feedback -> Curtain. With Warden, you should have perma reflect, but since it’s not that reliable, you should probably count on another team member after the 3rd reflect for an Aegis / Wall / Swirling Winds or even Magnetic Aura if you have an Aura share Ele (but I seriously hope you don’t).

Also as a mesmer you can portal everyone to a safe spot for the cannon phase (I usually go for the portal after one of the shadowstep attack when Mai have less than 4 stacks and is close to the canon phase.

Why do you prefer to reflect it? Just so you can stay in melee? (and don’t you need to time a careful dodge when this happens as well?)

Posted by: bearbear.1903

bearbear.1903

Also as a mesmer you can portal everyone to a safe spot for the cannon phase

Where about is this safe spot?

Mesmer have access to block with Sword offhand and with Blade Training, you’re able to block every single shadowstep attack from Mai (but the best is to reflect it with Temporal Curtain / Feedback / Warden, assuming you have Warden’s Feedback, Inspiration VIII)

Would it be better to trait or untrait the focus then, given that the lightning projectile can be blocked by untraited wardens, but the shadowstep can be reflected with temporal curtain and traited warden?

Iris Ng.9845

For mesmer, use Scepter/Sword and you can be decoy for life. No jokes!

For ele, use Ring of Earth (Dagger MH Earth 2, cast time 3/4 s, cd 6 s) right when she points at you. If you time it right, there are 2 seconds of projectile blocking after the spiky earth animation is raised. Alternatively, conjure earth shield and use skill number 2 Stone Sheath (duration 2 1/4, cd 8s). This skill is similar to any block skill and can be used at last minute as a panic button.

Mai Trin’s Pistol Shot skill has a 14 sec cd.

Iris Ng.9845

Also as a mesmer you can portal everyone to a safe spot for the cannon phase

Where about is this safe spot?

Would it be better to trait or untrait the focus then, given that the lightning projectile can be blocked by untraited wardens, but the shadowstep can be reflected with temporal curtain and traited warden?

1. It is not a safe spot per se. It requires a bit of jumping puzzle skill to get you to the right height AND the whole group has to take the portal almost at the SAME TIME to bug the cannoneer’s tracking algorithm. Additionally, one should not drop down way before others which will make Horrik and co. target the group almost instantly and it’s very hard to see that coming. I don’t recommend this method for a pug group because it more or less fails if anyone in the group makes mistake, and you risk to restart the fight over. If you’re in an organized group and want to try it out, as soon as you enter the room, go to the far right wall; there is a column under one of the cannoneer, the wall next to it has an invisible ledge that you can jump up to it and hang at mid wall.

2. Wardens die very fast from the aoe of Horrik. Unless you target Horrik with wardens to block his projectile, I feel it’s safer to use traited focus to make use of the curtain to save others’ butt.

Posted by: bearbear.1903

bearbear.1903

1. It is not a safe spot per se. It requires a bit of jumping puzzle skill to get you to the right height AND the whole group has to take the portal almost at the SAME TIME to bug the cannoneer’s tracking algorithm. Additionally, one should not drop down way before others which will make Horrik and co. target the group almost instantly and it’s very hard to see that coming. I don’t recommend this method for a pug group because it more or less fails if anyone in the group makes mistake, and you risk to restart the fight over. If you’re in an organized group and want to try it out, as soon as you enter the room, go to the far right wall; there is a column under one of the cannoneer, the wall next to it has an invisible ledge that you can jump up to it and hang at mid wall.

Interesting, I’ll have a look for it if I ever get to Mai Trin again.

Thanks!

Iris Ng.9845

Credit to Tobi who has told us about the trick <3

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Just pugged a lvl 29 with someone who was new to fractals. 1-2 downs, not a single wipe at Mai (I just told them they need to stay closer to her than me so I can take her shadowshot aggro).

Exactly as i said……

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Sanderinoa.8065

You can basically reflect 3 shadowstep in a row without Wardens with Curtain -> Feedback -> Curtain. With Warden, you should have perma reflect, but since it’s not that reliable, you should probably count on another team member after the 3rd reflect for an Aegis / Wall / Swirling Winds or even Magnetic Aura if you have an Aura share Ele (but I seriously hope you don’t).

Why do you prefer to reflect it? Just so you can stay in melee? (and don’t you need to time a careful dodge when this happens as well?)

We prefer to reflect it because that way you dont get used like a slave mesmer to not participate in the fight. Going max range is a waste of a party slot, and this is
exactly why mesmers arent liked just be a man and hit her, reflect when you need to and go max range only when you are out of reflects and you expect her to shoot(shot timing is related to when she uses her spin).

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Iris Ng.9845

Or when you have a timing issue like me and counting 14s is too hard, I just go max range in my pug :s

Sanderinoa.8065

Or when you have a timing issue like me and counting 14s is too hard, I just go max range in my pug :s

Wut? Counting?

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

We prefer to reflect it because that wat you dont get user like a slave mesmer to not participatie in the fight. Going max range is a waste of a party slot, and exactly why mesmers arent liked just be a man and hit her, reflect when you neef to and go max range only when you are out of reflects and you expect her to shoot(shot timing is related to when she uses her spin).

Sandy and Jerem teaching max to mesmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64&feature=kp

(though no one has ever been upset at me for saving everyone from the shadowsteps every time )

(edited by maxinion.8396)

Iris Ng.9845

Probably the same reaction I made the first time Sandy showed me the harpy skip and then, by himself, solo the champion bosses while skillfully evaded the ettin to rez me.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Having looked at this again, Mai’s shot+shadowstep seems to be a mix of two thief skills: shadowshot from dagger/pistol and ink shot from the harpoon. The animation is shadowshot but the shadowstep component works more like ink shot. If ink shot misses (or has no target) the thief still shadowsteps to the target location (or max distance) and presumably deals aoe damage. I’m guessing that evading the projectile does not change the target location and so Mai will still shadowstep, but a block prevents the shadowstep by preventing the projectile reaching the target location.

Like most thieves, I’ve hardly ever used ink shot. If someone is an expert on its use they can probably correct me.

Iris Ng.9845

Your speculation makes sense. When using block, I only blocked a single attack but when I dodged, I took damage twice, with no evade frame.

Sanderinoa.8065

(though no one has ever been upset at me for saving everyone from the shadowsteps every time )

Well I’m mad at you for it now. So that’s one

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

Well I’m mad at you for it now. So that’s one

D: time to get gud

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

Mesmer:

Good party = fight and 100% reflect uptime.

Crap pugs running all around = afk max range+block\reflect.

Win.

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO