My girlfriend and I did the impossible...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

We both decided to run arah p2 yesterday and chose to use the ingame lfg and posted “experienced” only. The first 2 we got were people who had run it before and actually knew how to read! But with hopes high the last member was an elementalist that ran staff the entire time, was his first ever dungeon and was in Trading Post exotics and had less than 1k AP. So we decided to go against all logic and actually let him stay in the run because we felt like being generous. The run took 2 hours, the ele died constantly, on the run to the first boss, on the run to the second boss by aggroing the spider after the detonation and on lupi was dead the entire time, even asking to be revived halfway through phase 2 when he was fully dead. But it felt oddly pleasing knowing that we helped that poor soul completing his first ever dungeon.

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

But Guanglai says ele staff is good ?? I do not compute

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

sorry, forgot to add the part where he was using constant fire attunement, not swapping between all 4

Zelyhn.8069

Well actually you have to give him credits for that
Swapping with staff is very suboptimal, but of course if he can’t survive just by sticking to fire …
Why am I not surprised ?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

Posted by: Nerien.5412

Nerien.5412

sorry, forgot to add the part where he was using constant fire attunement, not swapping between all 4

That was a mistake…he should have camped water instead!

marnick.4305: “Just because you went down last
doesn’t mean you’re the best player in the group
it means the enemies considered you a low priority.”

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

That was a mistake…he should have camped water instead!

It is common/accepted knowledge in the BHB community that green numbers = support. Somebody has to be the backbone of the group and heal all you horrible zerkers that die so easily. Dead dps = no dps…. duh.

On a side note…. very misleading title =(

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

We both decided to run arah p2 yesterday and chose to use the ingame lfg and posted “experienced” only. The first 2 we got were people who had run it before and actually knew how to read! But with hopes high the last member was an elementalist that ran staff the entire time, was his first ever dungeon and was in Trading Post exotics and had less than 1k AP. So we decided to go against all logic and actually let him stay in the run because we felt like being generous. The run took 2 hours, the ele died constantly, on the run to the first boss, on the run to the second boss by aggroing the spider after the detonation and on lupi was dead the entire time, even asking to be revived halfway through phase 2 when he was fully dead. But it felt oddly pleasing knowing that we helped that poor soul completing his first ever dungeon.

Welcome to the world of being a decent, friendly player.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Well actually you have to give him credits for that
Swapping with staff is very suboptimal, but of course if he can’t survive just by sticking to fire …
Why am I not surprised ?

Nuhuh, gotta have that eruption already placed while closing the distance then swap fire and lava font it.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

How do you factor in the need to swap? Guanglai is just trying to make simple starightforward models as a means for comparison. In the same calcs the mesmer phantasms are assumed alive and so are ranger pets. Basically, it’s an idealized model neglecting the need for condition removal or things like that. I don’t think any profession is assumed to swap in any calcs.

Personally, I find simplfied models enlightening because it gives a fundamental understanding of the mechanics. Then you can of course debate swapping and stuff and how that affects dps. But you still want the ideal limits.

At the end of the day, I don’t feel like I should have to defend those calcs. I mean, clearly they’re an ideal limit. No reason to knock them for that. You got to start somewhere.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Clearly the guy was just new/inexperienced, but you can call staff ele bad if it makes you feel good about yourself.

Zelyhn.8069

Yes I have a bad opinion of staff.

I am not going to express my opinion of Guanglai’s guide because I am clearly biased

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

Posted by: Raven.3248

Raven.3248

Welcome to the world of being a decent, friendly player.

I think what he meant was playing games with our girlfriends
;)

Just another Arah veteran

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

next time bring a newspaper… after the third of forth death, cover him with news paper and move on. You can always pick him up later.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Wait…you have a girlfriend?

GRATS BRO

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

Well and friend of mine and me are running Arah quite often. We also often times pug and join/get different kinds of groups. It is quite fun to see how some “experienced players” manage to our “standards” (basically most of these "lfg 3m p3 only expert " groups consist of pretty supbar players that just think they are good, because they don’t permanently die @GL).
But we also run with beginers quite often and I have to say that i appreciate someone calling out that he is a noob and needs help with strategies and stuff and most of the time I don’t mind “carrying” those guys through arah, explaning how bosses can be killed/skips can be done and even killing a bit more mobs than usual. Indeed you get quite a nice feeling out of that, although it is a shame that only a small part of these “noobs” actually enter a dungeon like arah, maybe because they are afraid of those “exeprt etlist playre only” or because they don’t like at least some challenge, maybe because the rewards are not good enough for completing dungeons anymore, who knows.

RIP game 2012-2014

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

The player base seemed much nicer when I first started playing, I was trained by pugs for most dungeons before joining a guild. Now? I don’t actually know how people do it…

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

They do something called watching youtube. Or complaining on the forums, because we always love to give them a warm reception.

Seriously, watch a video and even if you’ve never done the dungeon before you’ll pass off as experienced, it worked for me (and then you get time to actually learn the dungeon without being scrutinised by random bads).

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

The player base seemed much nicer when I first started playing, I was trained by pugs for most dungeons before joining a guild. Now? I don’t actually know how people do it…

I remember the veteran players were much nicer. I think thats because after the hype GW2 started to lose lots of players, many servers started to get empty and the game appeared to be “dying”, so the playerbase were more kind to new players, and there wasn’t this meta of FULL BERSERKER PING GEAR blablabla.

When i started to pug dungeons i used my lvl 80 warrior with green gear using sword+shield, i’ve never got kicked because of that. And i used to hate skipping, i never knew when to use stability, what stunbreak was etc.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

It is natural that the environment was more conducive to learning during game launch since everyone was more or less on a clean slate. As the game stabilize, so do ppl’s expectations.

That being said, it is not that difficult to learn paths. Personally I re-learned arah bout 3months ago due to getting bored of dungeons I frequent and wanting to take adv of the new reward scheme. I pugged more or less as a first timer since I havent done Arah in 6 mths and I also let my party know that fact. Any first timers only need to be first timers for the first few runs, you just need to be tolerable of the possible rejections or scrutiny before you learn the path.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I run with new guys from my guild all the time. They have less than 1k achievements and no exotics. I explain to them what to do and we clear the dungeon pretty fast.

It is your fault for not explaining what to do. If you don’t want to explain, there is a party function that allows you to kick people from the party, allowing you to find a more suited for your needs member.

Usually if you think that 1 member is failing, then your party is not good. You can’t blame 1 person for doing bad in a dungeon that you can solo. If you are so much better than them you can probably do it 4 man.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Now we probably have yet another staff ele running around with the dungeon master title.

I just ran one through P2 the other day, he sat in water attunement most of the time and auto attacked. urgh.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I run with new guys from my guild all the time. They have less than 1k achievements and no exotics. I explain to them what to do and we clear the dungeon pretty fast.

It is your fault for not explaining what to do. If you don’t want to explain, there is a party function that allows you to kick people from the party, allowing you to find a more suited for your needs member.

Usually if you think that 1 member is failing, then your party is not good. You can’t blame 1 person for doing bad in a dungeon that you can solo. If you are so much better than them you can probably do it 4 man.

Sometimes yes, other times no. That one person could be pulling extra mobs (like the spot around Lupi), could be staying in range p3 of lupi as to start the bubbles, or even in other dungeons, say AC spider queen, where that person might dodge backwards and start the spider queen range attack, wiping the party.

Yes you can kick them. But times it’s easier to give them another chance…. or two.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I carried a group of Spanish people through p3, even killed Lupicus with 6 stacks (solo started at 70%hp), and then I told them everything necessary at last boss, and we did it somehow. They gave me bonus 10g as a reward. Very kind

Attachments:

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I carried a group of Spanish people through p3, even killed Lupicus with 6 stacks (solo started at 70%hp), and then I told them everything necessary at last boss, and we did it somehow. They gave me bonus 10g as a reward. Very kind

omg you have only 17g (now 27 with that 10g), you’re so poor :S
You need to stop soloing lupicus and do more casual stuff. I’m a casual player and i have almost 300g.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I have legendary, 12 characters, Miniature Collector and 5723582 convenient items. I also tend to spend my money quickly.