PUG Behavior

PUG Behavior

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Why not run ranger runes instead? You get the same precision increase, just along with 8%+ crit damage. The sixth rune is trash so you can just stick a ruby orb in. I’ve found if you’re in a strong group with warriors as a Guard that you can just stick rubies in and the fury uptime the warriors give makes up for the decrease in precision, I mean what reason do I have to have 103% crit chance with fury? Anything beyond 100% is completely useless.

I have considered rolling with Rune of the Eagle/Ranger. But really 5 seconds of pseudo-invulnerability every 48 seconds is better than +8% crit damage IMO. It’s the small things like facetanking an attack I would usually have to dodge would get a few extra hits in, but mainly it’s just a big fat ‘get out of jail free’ card, which has been a lifesaver in PuG’s but probably wouldn’t be necessary in structured guild runs with voicechat.

You could sit on 103% with fury!? What sort of precision steroids do guardians take!? Unless you’re referring to Sigil of Perception which is very circumstantial….
I sit at 98% with full Zerker gear, runes of Lyssa, banner of discipline, Heightened Focus (+15%) and +8% or so from food and nourishment. Precision scales weird at high percentages but using something like Scholar Runes would just shatter my crit rate, and as far as I’m concerned, every hit that doesn’t crit you may as well not have even swung in the first place (Weakness peeves me off something fierce.)

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Personally I’m highly tolerant of different tactics. My experience with dungeons has been made up almost solely of pugs, and I don’t have nearly the problems all of you guys complain about. Every once in awhile I’d get a group that I would swear was incompetent, but on the flip side I’d get groups that also effortlessly plow through the dungeons like they were nothing. With that said, I don’t discriminate against individual tactics, build choices, or playstyle with only one exception to the clause: that the player is actively trying to bring down the team on purpose.

I find the idea of stacking on Mai to be idiotic. Her attacks hit for high damage an AoE. A far better strategy is to just use scorpion wire or spectral grasp or magnet pull or Magnetic Shield or Blinding Blade or Into the Void to pull Mai into the lightning fields when they spawn. As long as the group is competent enough to bring down her defiant stacks or you have a thief with an off-hand pistol, it is really easy to do.

I find that so many people have complained about scepter guardians, but never bothered to actually check the damage that scepter guardians are putting out. Lets look at their 3 skills:

Orb of Wrath: 224 damage, 1/4 second channel. This skill is undoubtedly one of the hardest hitting ranged auto attacks in the game. It is very quick to fire, has 1200 range, and has a high damage for its class of ranged weaponry. Compare it to other ranged weapons of pretty much every class

Warrior Longbow: 212 damage, takes longer to fire
Warrior Rifle: 155 damage (+ 255 bleed, but requires condition damage), takes longer to fire. Arguably better in condition builds.
Thief Shortbow: 185 Damage (x 3), takes longer to fire. Arguably better against groups.
Thief pistol: 134 damage (+ 170 bleed, but requires condition damage).
Ranger Longbow: up to 317 damage at max range, takes longer to fire.
Ranger Shortbow: 134 damage (+ 128 bleeding, but requires condition damage), arguably better due to being faster.
Mesmer Greatsword: 348 at max range, but takes twice as long to activate.
Mesmer Scepter: 168-168-252 combo, and slower than the guardian’s attack rate.
Engineer Pistol: 118 Damage (+85 bleed), slower than guardian’s attack, but arguably better in large tightly packed groups.
Engineer Rifle: 251 damage. Objectively better overall.
Necromancer Staff: 246 damage, but takes longer to fire.
Necromancer Axe: 236 damage, but takes longer to fire
Necromancer Scepter: 118 + 170 bleed x 2 – 168 + 336 poison. Slower, and only better on condition builds.

So, in the end, Orb of Wrath is a fast and high damaging attack with very few attacks that are objectively better (coughHipShotcough). You’ll notice I didn’t factor in the elementalist attacks, because there’s, like, 8 of them that are used in varying rotation. The condition attacks can arguably do more damage, so long as your opponent doesn’t cleanse and/or the target doesn’t reach the condition cap. Considering this is about dungeons, the main limitation is the condition cap. Now, we move on to the next big hitter:

Smite: 1665 damage, 1200 range, 6 second recharge, 1/4th second delay time. This attack has the highest single target DPS in the game. On its own it does the same damage as 100 blades sans the final hit, but it also has a short cast time so you can keep auto attacking while smite keeps hitting the same area. It’s recharge of only 6 seconds, meaning that smite can be fired off rapidly. All in all, this makes smite add a ton to the total DPS of the guardian when used in conjunction with other skills, and by itself it has one of the highest DPS in the game.

Chains of Light: Single target immobilize that applies 3 stacks of vulnerability. It’s nothing special, but a single target immobilize is all around useful.

The only legitimate complaint I can have about the hard hitting + far range scepter is that it is largely single target. There are better options for groups of enemies. Of course, there is a place for single target damage, too. Last I checked, most players just run past all of the enemies in the dungeon to get the bosses anyway, so against the bosses this weapon is great. You can even use it in combination with different off-hands depending on what you want to do as a guardian.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

You could sit on 103% with fury!? What sort of precision steroids do guardians take!? Unless you’re referring to Sigil of Perception which is very circumstantial….
I sit at 98% with full Zerker gear, runes of Lyssa, banner of discipline, Heightened Focus (+15%) and +8% or so from food and nourishment. Precision scales weird at high percentages but using something like Scholar Runes would just shatter my crit rate, and as far as I’m concerned, every hit that doesn’t crit you may as well not have even swung in the first place (Weakness peeves me off something fierce.)

This simple build shows 102% with fury and that’s without banner (170), precision runes (81) and 2nd nourishment like oil (92 with base toughness and vitality, though noone uses oils in pve). Your warrior build has probably 0 points in arms while guardian has 300. That’s ~14%. Plus, precision doesn’t scale weird, it’s always linear.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I have considered rolling with Rune of the Eagle/Ranger. But really 5 seconds of pseudo-invulnerability every 48 seconds is better than +8% crit damage IMO.

I get pseudo invulnerability by dodging or putting up blocks. You are seriously better off taking a whole 8%+ crit damage over some pointless invuln. It’s like running PVT, you’re just using it as a safety net rather than working on becoming competent enough to overcome having weak armour.

t’s the small things like facetanking an attack I would usually have to dodge would get a few extra hits in, but mainly it’s just a big fat ‘get out of jail free’ card, which has been a lifesaver in PuG’s but probably wouldn’t be necessary in structured guild runs with voicechat.

Depends on the PUGs I guess. I always PUG in speed runs so I have no need for a safety net when we’re all bursting bosses down.

30 in radiance with zerker everything, right-hand strength. On my greatsword I have 87% crit chance w/fury.

I find that so many people have complained about scepter guardians, but never bothered to actually check the damage that scepter guardians are putting out. Lets look at their 3 skills:

(giant snip)

Melee damage > range damage so stop wasting your time defending ranged weapons. If they’re absolutely necessary or melee is extremely disadvantageous (e.g. taking out the first tentacle at Jade Maw, nobody can be bothered fighting through the trash) then you have them in your inventory, but every other time, full melee.

so against the bosses this weapon is great.

I know right, next time I run COF or COE I’m gonna start bringing down Alpha, Effigy and Slave Driver with my scepter because it does amazing DPS. 25k whirling wraths? Nah, I think i’ll just spam autoattack on my scepter with the occasional smite when it’s off cooldown.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

PUG Behavior

Dolan.3071

This simple build shows 102% with fury and that’s without banner (170), precision runes (81) and 2nd nourishment like oil (92 with base toughness and vitality, though noone uses oils in pve). Your warrior build has probably 0 points in arms while guardian has 300. That’s ~14%. Plus, precision doesn’t scale weird, it’s always linear.

Bleugh that website loads horribly on my phone, I’ll take your word for it.
Hey it’s not my fault none of the DPS traits are in Arms
You don’t use oils? So tell me, what do you use during CoE?

I get pseudo invulnerability by dodging or putting up blocks. You are seriously better off taking a whole 8%+ crit damage over some pointless invuln. It’s like running PVT, you’re just using it as a safety net rather than working on becoming competent enough to overcome having weak armour.

The logic is the same but the actual comparison of Rune choice to armour stats is getting just a bit ridiculous. I’m aware your standards for grouping are a lot higher, but “pointless invuln” will save a battle over +8% crit damage. Honestly as far as PuG’s go I’d rather have it take 1.5 seconds longer than risk a wipe if I become the last man standing. Sure I’d love to be confident in my team, but I’m not, and if kitten hits the fan I’ll be wanting that condition cleanse and invuln over a very minor damage buff.

Depends on the PUGs I guess. I always PUG in speed runs so I have no need for a safety net when we’re all bursting bosses down.

You speak in a very condescending manner at the notion of having safety nets, yet you play a Guardian, the physical manifestation of a safety net. The class itself sacrificing DPS for all of its safety nets. Hypocrisy in its finest, how do you even get let into CoF runs? By your logic if you we’re any good you’d be playing a Warrior 100% of the time, but you rely on your safety net of a class because you’re not competent enough yet.

30 in radiance with zerker everything, right-hand strength. On my greatsword I have 87% crit chance w/fury.

If only the Warrior traits made it worthwhile to go 30 points into Arms, oh the freedom we’d get
EDIT: Actually stuff that, we get huge amounts of power and crit damage, I’m very okay with making up precision via other means

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

(edited by Dolan.3071)

PUG Behavior

haviz.1340

Attack of Opportunity is a dps trait. If I run CoE more often than occasionaly, I’d use potions of undead slaying for alpha, since those golems die fast enough.

PUG Behavior

colesy.8490

The logic is the same but the actual comparison of Rune choice to armour stats is getting just a bit ridiculous. I’m aware your standards for grouping are a lot higher, but “pointless invuln” will save a battle over +8% crit damage. Honestly as far as PuG’s go I’d rather have it take 1.5 seconds longer than risk a wipe if I become the last man standing. Sure I’d love to be confident in my team, but I’m not, and if kitten hits the fan I’ll be wanting that condition cleanse and invuln over a very minor damage buff.

More damage will save a battle. Case in point, bursting down slave driver and some of the zerker wars drop towards the end of the burst. What if they were in rampager? Literally the only thing saving them there was hardcore damage which enabled the rest of us to just clear up the last few hit points.

You speak in a very condescending manner at the notion of having safety nets, yet you play a Guardian, the physical manifestation of a safety net. The class itself sacrificing DPS for all of its safety nets. Hypocrisy in its finest, how do you even get let into CoF runs? By your logic if you we’re any good you’d be playing a Warrior 100% of the time, but you rely on your safety net of a class because you’re not competent enough yet.

Actually, guardians have quite high DPS when you go glass, and if it wasn’t obvious enough I go full glass. The only safety net I have on my guard is two blocks, a little heal and 4 secs of prot/regen. Apart from that, full zerk, less than 11k HP and I get absolutely destroyed if I don’t roll properly.

And no, I don’t do CoF runs on my guard, I do those with my mesmer because a 4th warrior is better DPS in CoF. I run my guard in CoE or my mes, (depends on what’s needed) because they have quite a lot of utility and give the group a lot of sustain against alpha where you can put up blocks to take pressure off the team, stability against the golem so it doesn’t whack you back, blocks against the evolved destroyer so the team doesn’t have to evade and can continue bursting and a bit of condition removal.

And again, just to reiterate I’m full DPS spec so while putting up that support I’m joining the team in bursting down the bosses, not just sitting in trash PVT gear “tanking”.

PUG Behavior

haviz.1340

Actually, guardians have quite high DPS when you go glass, and if it wasn’t obvious enough I go full glass. The only safety net I have on my guard is two blocks, a little heal and 4 secs of prot/regen. Apart from that, full zerk, less than 11k HP and I get absolutely destroyed if I don’t roll properly.

Guardian is still arguably the easiest class for melee combat. I’d say he was specifically designed for that type of combat. After him it would be mesmer and then warrior.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Melee damage > range damage so stop wasting your time defending ranged weapons. If they’re absolutely necessary or melee is extremely disadvantageous (e.g. taking out the first tentacle at Jade Maw, nobody can be bothered fighting through the trash) then you have them in your inventory, but every other time, full melee.

Considering that a large amount of content in the game is, indeed, extremely disadvantageous to melee, the point stands firm. It is also advantageous to swap weapons in battle, either opening with or swapping to use smite while the GS or Hammer is on cooldown.

I know right, next time I run COF or COE I’m gonna start bringing down Alpha, Effigy and Slave Driver with my scepter because it does amazing DPS. 25k whirling wraths? Nah, I think i’ll just spam autoattack on my scepter with the occasional smite when it’s off cooldown.

Whirling Wrath: 1,251 damage, 10 second cooldown. If all projectiles hit, it is 1551 tooltip damage.
Smite: 1665 damage, 6 second cooldown. Shorter activation time

You’re thrusting your own ignorance into the debate as a form of an argument. It’s not an effective tactic. The fact that you assume I’m saying you should exclusively use the scepter in all circumstances speaks more about your intelligence than it does mine.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

a large amount of content in the game is extremely disadvantageous to melee

A large amount? Extremely?

PUG Behavior

Dolan.3071

Attack of Opportunity is a dps trait. If I run CoE more often than occasionaly, I’d use potions of undead slaying for alpha, since those golems die fast enough.

Oh? So +10% damage against bleeding targets is better than +15% from the Strength line? Or 15% crit chance (and a buttload of crit damage) from Discipline? Yeah didn’t think so. And so you run a potion that does absolutely nothing to the Icebrood at the start, the golems throughout, and the Destroyer, gee if only there was some generic buff you could take to improve damage against all targets…

More damage will save a battle. Case in point, bursting down slave driver and some of the zerker wars drop towards the end of the burst. What if they were in rampager? Literally the only thing saving them there was hardcore damage which enabled the rest of us to just clear up the last few hit points.

This is what I meant about Rune choice vs armour stats, armour choice will make that difference, but runes will not. Full Zerkers with no runes will burst him down before too much damage is done.

And no, I don’t do CoF runs on my guard, I do those with my mesmer because a 4th warrior is better DPS in CoF. I run my guard in CoE or my mes, (depends on what’s needed) because they have quite a lot of utility and give the group a lot of sustain against alpha where you can put up blocks to take pressure off the team, stability against the golem so it doesn’t whack you back, blocks against the evolved destroyer so the team doesn’t have to evade and can continue bursting and a bit of condition removal.

And again, just to reiterate I’m full DPS spec so while putting up that support I’m joining the team in bursting down the bosses, not just sitting in trash PVT gear “tanking”.

See now I actually agree with you, but it contradicts all the “DON’T NEED SAFETY NETS L2D N00BS!!11!1!” You’ve been preaching throughout the rest of this thread.

Also while it sounds good in theory, unless you’re running with a regular group or are on TS, people will still evade Dragon Tooth drops against the Destroyer. Imagine if someone ate one of those, died, and blamed you for not giving him Aegis? It just doesn’t happen. Same with dodging the Golems spinning attack, habit will be to evade over relying on the Guardian.

Also you don’t even need a Guardian in CoE, 4 warr/1 Mes is more than enough. Again I dont mind a Guard in the party, I’m just pulling this from your other posts, that makes you a DPS leech who needs to lose the safety net…
Mesmer isn’t even wanted for its ‘sustain’, Time Warp and easy access to pulls is the only reason it isn’t just another Warrior (A warrior can just use Fear Me to position Alpha, but then it’s a DPS loss on that wasted utility.)

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

PUG Behavior

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

Because he was a kitten about it, I would have booted him. If he hadn’t been and had been simply inexperienced I’d have attempted to show him the right way to do it. It’s how people learn. Making a mistake on a boss you’ve never fought before and then getting kicked would be more rude than someone being a mouth imo.
That said, be nice to those who don’t understand and have the patience to teach. If they don’t wanna be taught and are arrogant butt snots about it, get rid of em.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Isn’t guardian scepter supposed to be the guard’s second highest single target dps weapon? Well, on Mai maybe not since she’s small and mobile.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Isn’t guardian scepter supposed to be the guard’s second highest single target dps weapon? Well, on Mai maybe not since she’s small and mobile.

It’s pretty conditional. For example Smite has to hit, it’s not that high DPS with just auto-attacking.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

PUG Behavior

colesy.8490

Also while it sounds good in theory, unless you’re running with a regular group or are on TS, people will still evade Dragon Tooth drops against the Destroyer. Imagine if someone ate one of those, died, and blamed you for not giving him Aegis? It just doesn’t happen. Same with dodging the Golems spinning attack, habit will be to evade over relying on the Guardian.

“colesy, your points are legit but I’m going to just argue with them because why the &%^$ not”

Also you don’t even need a Guardian in CoE, 4 warr/1 Mes is more than enough. Again I dont mind a Guard in the party, I’m just pulling this from your other posts, that makes you a DPS leech who needs to lose the safety net…

lol.

The only “safety net” I have is utility, stunbreakers, condition removal and immunities which the two other classes in the game have. Mesmers have blurred frenzy, decoy/blink, null field and tw/reflects/portals, which gives them what I’ve just listed above. Warriors have, I guess banners for utility, stunbreakers, condition removal and endure pain as an immunity or whirlwind even as a third evade.

But I’m sure you could do COE with 4 war/1 mes, and I’m sure you’re right I’m being a DPS leech on my guard. Good thing I have a Mesmer I can use instead then, eh? Haven’t been able to level my warrior up, I’m bored of my guard and the gameplay of guard and warrior is too similar for me.

I’d say “well it feels fast enough” while on my guard, but I’m sure if we number-crunched a 4 war/1 mes and 3 war/1 guard/1 mes runthrough of the COE paths the 4 war/1 mes group would be quicker.

(edited by colesy.8490)

PUG Behavior

haviz.1340

Oh? So +10% damage against bleeding targets is better than +15% from the Strength line? Or 15% crit chance (and a buttload of crit damage) from Discipline? Yeah didn’t think so. And so you run a potion that does absolutely nothing to the Icebrood at the start, the golems throughout, and the Destroyer, gee if only there was some generic buff you could take to improve damage against all targets…

Do you understand the difference between “none” and “worse”?

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Plus, the difference between 30/25/0/0/15 and 30/10/0/0/30 is marginal in a group while 30/25/0/0/15 wins by far in situations without 2-3 more warriors.
The difference is 3% critchance and 15% critdamage vs 10% overall damage. Note that theese 10% overall damage work out as more than 15% critdmg.
And hey, isn’t Forceful Greatsword (not sure if thats the name, 20% cooldown and might on hit for gs) a dps trait, too?

Dub | [rT]

(edited by Dub.1273)

PUG Behavior

Dolan.3071

@ Colesy, A guardian is a safety net version of a warrior, a Mesmer does even less damage than both. I can’t really add anymore to it.

@ Haviz, if you’re going to take a potion, why not take the right one?

@ Dub, 30/0/0/10/30
Have you actually tested it to prove that the +10% damage is added post-crit? This is actually a genuine question, no lip here. Also Forceful Greatsword might stacks are pathetic, 5 seconds? kitten please.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

PUG Behavior

haviz.1340

I’m not going to use icebrood potion for few mobs, then another one for undead, then for inquest, then for undead again etc.

@ Dub, 30/0/0/10/30
Have you actually tested it to prove that the +10% damage is added post-crit? This is actually a genuine question, no lip here. Also Forceful Greatsword might stacks are pathetic, 5 seconds? kitten please.

It’s been widely tested and proved how damage formula works. That build you posted, if you aren’t still aware, but empowered was stealth nerfed to same level of bountiful power and power of the virtous, so it’s good enough only for 1 warrior to use that build. Not to mention that this build is the most boring build ever.

PUG Behavior

colesy.8490

@ Colesy, A guardian is a safety net version of a warrior, a Mesmer does even less damage than both. I can’t really add anymore to it.

Mesmer gives timewarp, reflects or portal vs. golem, lets you group mobs together for full cleave and burst or push alpha, gives portal at boulders, feedback on effigy and the pull can relieve pressure at the braziers or even the greatsword knockback.

Sure, the mesmer itself has pretty blargh DPS, but its contribution to the group’s dps through timewarp, positioning and feedback easily makes up for it.

But nice use of “I can’t really add anymore to it” to try and worm your way out, I already admitted my guardian probably leeches a little through reduced DPS, but trying to rip on mesmers too is indefensible considering the fact that they truly serve as a toolbox.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

just because you think someone is being rude doesn’t mean that person behind the keyboard is trying to insult you.

The ONLY reason I will kick is rudeness.

Hmmm… well, and being offline / afk – but I don’t count that as a kick as they’ve left and its just cleaning things out.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Also Forceful Greatsword might stacks are pathetic, 5 seconds? kitten please.

Hit three targets and welcome permanent 25 stacks of might.
Against bosses where you only hit one target it’s still 8-9 stacks might (+3-4 from WA) which do a LOT of difference in a non 100% optimized party. Also in optimized parties you often hang around with 20-22 stacks instead of 25 stacks because the duration doesn’t stack. Use a greatsword and you’re at perma 25.

Dub | [rT]

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Mesmer gives timewarp, reflects or portal vs. golem, lets you group mobs together for full cleave and burst or push alpha, gives portal at boulders, feedback on effigy and the pull can relieve pressure at the braziers or even the greatsword knockback.

Sure, the mesmer itself has pretty blargh DPS, but its contribution to the group’s dps through timewarp, positioning and feedback easily makes up for it.

But nice use of “I can’t really add anymore to it” to try and worm your way out, I already admitted my guardian probably leeches a little through reduced DPS, but trying to rip on mesmers too is indefensible considering the fact that they truly serve as a toolbox.

Speaking of feedback on effigy, have you notice a nerf to this? I ran path 1 a couple of times yesterday and everytime I got the feedback off, everything came up “immune” in big red, obviously talking about the knock back, but I didn’t see any damage.

Previously I used to see lots of 2-3K hits, which I was very proud of (depending how many people could actually dodge the attacks).

RIP in peace Robert

PUG Behavior

colesy.8490

Whenever I’ve used feedback on the effigy I get the immunes to the knockback and get something like four or five 3-4k crits. I swear one or two times I’ve put it up and people have been knocked back though …

Next time I run CoF I’ll have to pay extra attention.

PUG Behavior

Dolan.3071

I’m not going to use icebrood potion for few mobs, then another one for undead, then for inquest, then for undead again etc.

Htngdbffhvs! I mean like a + power or + precision one.

@ Dub, So thats a no you haven’t tested it and just say it because someone else said it? Relax I’ll take your word for it.
I use either Empowered Allies or Inspiring Banners depending on the Warrior to banners situation, if all else is taken then I’d use Empowered. But really how does a difference of 10 points suddenly make it the most boring build? Nothing really changes in the play style…

Also Forceful Greatsword might stacks are pathetic, 5 seconds? kitten please.

Hit three targets and welcome permanent 25 stacks of might.
Against bosses where you only hit one target it’s still 8-9 stacks might (+3-4 from WA) which do a LOT of difference in a non 100% optimized party. Also in optimized parties you often hang around with 20-22 stacks instead of 25 stacks because the duration doesn’t stack. Use a greatsword and you’re at perma 25.

In a semi-organised group with Warriors spamming FGJ and what not, Forceful Greatsword does more harm than good by reducing the duration of your stacks. So now you’ve got a solid investment into a trait line that you can’t change to better suit the team setup, which is why I prefer 10 in tactics, but really each to their own.

@ Colesy, now we are definitely going in circles, I already said that Mesmer utility is the only thing bringing it along. It does less damage in the sense that you would only take one for the utility. Though I will ask you this, why do kitten near all Mesmer’s sleep at ranged? Is it like the only class that does ranged better than melee damage?

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

(edited by Dolan.3071)

PUG Behavior

haviz.1340

@ Dub, So thats a no you haven’t tested it and just say it because someone else said it? Relax I’ll take your word for it.
I use either Empowered Allies or Inspiring Banners depending on the Warrior to banners situation, if all else is taken then I’d use Empowered. But really how does a difference of 10 points suddenly make it the most boring build? Nothing really changes in the play style…

There’s no need to test theoretical dps of certain builds because the math is very simple and proven to be correct. Just grab a piece of paper or a simple calculator.

Dub is pointing out that 30/0/0/10/30 build is much boring that 30/25/0/0/15 because the former one forces you to literally spam autoattacks while the other is more profficient with greatsword which arguably is more fun to play than staying in your axe set.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

The only reason I will ever kick a player is if the player has a bad attitude. I don’t mind if you screw up because that’s just part of being human and I really don’t expect perfection from anyone I run with.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Or 15% crit chance (and a buttload of crit damage) from Discipline?

You actually have more crit chance from having points in arms rather than discipline for this trait. Tested while in combat.

I’ve heard heightened focus is bugged and not giving the right amount of crit chance though, so this fact might change in a later patch. As of now, crit chance is NOT the reason why you’d pick this trait line at all, if you want to invest in discipline you’re free to do so but doing it for the crit chance from the grandmaster trait is dumb.

Edit :
This is what arms line is worth (banner of discipline on in the background) :
http://imgur.com/vOkpt9i,LVidw4r,q3Pmf5n,6u7Lgg1

(64 % crit chance if 25 instead of 30 into arms)

Now weight 10% dmg boost from attack of opportunity and the other nice things from arms vs discipline..

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

PUG Behavior

Dolan.3071

Haha I find doing the Greatsword rotation more repetitive and boring, because you’ve gotta be paying attention, whereas never changing out Axe you can just position yourself, press 2,4,5 every now and again, and do something else at the same time, like type to guildies or what not. I’ve tried both so again it’s just my (lazy) playstyle.

Also my Heightened Focus buff never shows up, from OOC no adrenalin to full adrenalin in combat my crit chance figure doesn’t change at all. I just assumed it was bugged like the old Heightened Focus :/ Also I don’t remember the exact numbers but in the transition from 25 points in Arms to 30 in discipline I gained crit chance (assuming HF does what it says it does, which I’m inclined to believe seeing as I’ve noticed my crit rate increase. Seriously running 30/25/0/0/15 at least one hit in every 100b wouldn’t crit <__<) this isn’t for argument’s sake because I wouldn’t have made the transition otherwise.

EDIT: Way to edit your own post there buddy, so I guess you never actually tested HF in and out of combat? Boy I wish I’d quoted that.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

(edited by Dolan.3071)

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Or 15% crit chance (and a buttload of crit damage) from Discipline?

You actually have more crit chance from having points in arms rather than discipline for this trait. Tested while in combat.

I’ve heard heightened focus is bugged and not giving the right amount of crit chance though, so this fact might change in a later patch. As of now, crit chance is NOT the reason why you’d pick this trait line at all, if you want to invest in discipline you’re free to do so but doing it for the crit chance from the grandmaster trait is dumb.

Edit :
This is what arms line is worth (banner of discipline on in the background) :
http://imgur.com/vOkpt9i,LVidw4r,q3Pmf5n,6u7Lgg1

(64 % crit chance if 25 instead of 30 into arms)

Now weight 10% dmg boost from attack of opportunity and the other nice things from arms vs discipline..

That might be why I feel like I’m barely critting at all using 30/0/0/10/30 after the patch. Especially solo, my p2 runs are way slower.

Retired. Too many casuals.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

3rd fractal, uncategorized/harpies one, almost at the end boss, host has to go, say’s he has something to take care of, but he can click on ready when we’re done, we tell him to stay afk, most of us die, host is in combat, you know, when you’re eternally in combat with the harpies, so we can’t reset, someone asks, who’s in combat, I say, maybe host, even though I mentioned that if the host left we will all get kicked, someone decides to kick him, before I can say “no don’t” I’m in the LA loading screen. I only cried for 2 hours

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Arrow.3856

Arrow.3856

lol this thread. You should have told him to stay with the group, but he seems like he was an idiot so it would not have mattered. would have kicked him and got a guildie in for the last boss :p

“I may not be a horse whisperer, but I certainly
can and do speak to unicorns.” (Arrow The
Unicorn)

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

puging is the worst exp in this game !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

fractal 30s, me and guildie show people where to LoS, puggies run all over the place as soon as mobs come. Mobs go after puggies and run out of my justice is blind range. mobs aren’t blinded and kills whole team. puggies: “Maybe we shouldn’t stack”

Oceanic [LOD]

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Pugs at 30+ fractals:

Attachments:

Retired. Too many casuals.

PUG Behavior

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461