Profession in most demand (Dungeons)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

I think you’re overly defensive, a Hb glass spec has low survivability which in turn means you die more in dungeons where dmg isn’t everything. High damage is good but its no good if your party is carrying you through because you die non-stop

I’m fully aware of the shortcomings of this build, but my standard party composition negates these issues. Try running a zerker glass cannon with 2 guardians on your team and you’ll see my point.

I have before and I still died far too often. In Dungeons you need 1 of 2 things.

A party who’s willing to babysit you for your dps or Survivability so you can continuously benefit your team through dps/burst damage and/or tanking.

There’s a reason why glass isn’t appreciated in dungeons and ergo glass builds in dungeons is like bringing a full set of MF gear, not the best idea if you’re a team player.

Heck, I’ve been in parties where we’ve kicked the glass because they were too much of a liability.

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

I would just suggest to the OP to try by yourself a class you’re HAVING FUN WITH , not a “class needed”. This is now WoW, where there is racism between classes. I pick ( and joined) players with pure randomness, i NEVER found a group less performer than others. That’s a player issue or horrible gear (blue, 78 pieces etc) and player inability to understand the revive concept, teamwork, dodge. Just enjoy the game, we don’t have any trinity or “rule” to follow.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I think you’re overly defensive, a Hb glass spec has low survivability which in turn means you die more in dungeons where dmg isn’t everything. High damage is good but its no good if your party is carrying you through because you die non-stop

I’m fully aware of the shortcomings of this build, but my standard party composition negates these issues. Try running a zerker glass cannon with 2 guardians on your team and you’ll see my point.

I have before and I still died far too often. In Dungeons you need 1 of 2 things.

A party who’s willing to babysit you for your dps or Survivability so you can continuously benefit your team through dps/burst damage and/or tanking.

There’s a reason why glass isn’t appreciated in dungeons and ergo glass builds in dungeons is like bringing a full set of MF gear, not the best idea if you’re a team player.

Heck, I’ve been in parties where we’ve kicked the glass because they were too much of a liability.

Just because you are the type of player who likes to stack 5 support traited characters and then finish content without having to pay much attention to the actual dungeon due to your excessive amounts of boons and heals, doesn’t mean everyone likes to play that way. I’m sure you are the kind of guy who finishes paths in 30-45min then come on forums and proclaim how you “plowed” through content without any deaths running your immortal shout warrior, and believe me when I say this; all of this is complete fine with me.

It’s just that some people want to, and will, complete dungeon paths twice as fast as you because they actually think of a good team composition (where DPS is an integral part, rather than an afterthought) instead of trying to compensate for their shortcomings during the actual combat with excessive amounts of support.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Warriors if you want possibly the best mix of DPS and Survivability. Eles have a great mix of support utility and DPS. Guardians same deal as ele, different kind of defensive support compared to eles. Probably the three strongest and most versatile classes for dungeons.

Thieves are quite good, can be really fun (if you build right). Provide AoE Stealth (really powerful in dungeons), do pretty strong single target DPS and their AoE is appreciable. Engineers do pretty good AoE DPS and provide some nice utility, but it’s not often you find a good engineer. Mesmer/Necro/Ranger are w/e. Nothing super special about them apart from a couple of neat mechanics/skills each of them possess (time warp, wells, spirits, traps).

Go with either Warrior, Guardian or Ele. Don’t build full glass as a main set, it’s really not worth it to have to rely on certain team compositions to be able to perform well. Power/Vitality/Toughness is an AMAZING armour set for all of these classes, and I would highly recommend it. Use jewellery and traits to spec further into whatever direction you want to go i.e. Clerics for support, Knights for survivability, Carrion/Rampagers/Berserkers for DPS.

I’m not saying glass cannon isn’t viable or is bad, I’m saying it shouldn’t be your main or only armour set. It should be a secondary set for when you want to have a little bit of fun and have a team which can cater to it. A great way to achieve this can be to buy Berserker’s Jewellery, with a P/V/T armour set as your main. When you want to go glass cannon switch the armour set for another Berserker’s set.

If I wanted a “dungeon dream team”; I’d want a base of:

2 Warriors (P/V/T armour, berserker’s jewellery)
1 Support ele (Clerics jewellery, defensive armour set)

Then anything to fill the last two slots. Mesmer can be very nice for the utility and DPS, especially chaos storm and time warp. Nullzone (is that what its called?) is also quite handy. Guardians are neat, but I don’t think they provide as much versatility as an Ele can. Majority of eles seem to just build DPS, which in my opinion is a waste of their potential. The healing power scaling on some of their skills is pretty insane (usually 1:1 or better), and skills such as glyph of storms are INSANE. Thieves are helping for skipping mobs and maintaining debuffs such as poison, they’re also great ‘emergency’ res’ers.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Lucas Ashrock.8675

And if a suggestion is needed, try necro or ranger. Loads of fun, and yes, you will be needed too.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

BabelFish.7234

Just because you are the type of player who likes to stack 5 support traited characters and then finish content without having to pay much attention to the actual dungeon due to your excessive amounts of boons and heals, doesn’t mean everyone likes to play that way. I’m sure you are the kind of guy who finishes paths in 30-45min then come on forums and proclaim how you “plowed” through content without any deaths running your immortal shout warrior, and believe me when I say this; all of this is complete fine with me.

It’s just that some people want to, and will, complete dungeon paths twice as fast as you because they actually think of a good team composition (where DPS is an integral part, rather than an afterthought) instead of trying to compensate for their shortcomings during the actual combat with excessive amounts of support.

Actually I play a S/P Signet Thief. I do high dps and I can tank just as well as a non-bunker guardian.

The fastest dungeon run I’ve ever done was 20 mins but hey, continue with your assumptions…by law of averages eventually you’ll get something right.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Actually I play a S/P Signet Thief. I do high dps and I can tank just as well as a non-bunker guardian.

The fastest dungeon run I’ve ever done was 20 mins but hey, continue with your assumptions…by law of averages eventually you’ll get something right.

That 20 min was what path, if I may ask?

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Clearly AC. Let’s not turn the thread in a bash please.

BabelFish.7234

That 20 min was what path, if I may ask?

CM Asura Path.

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Oh ye. Rushing to gears, skipping the boss, after the barn boss (the most idiot boss ingame) fast skip to last boss. True, doable. Guess you call yourself tank because you survived the run.

BabelFish.7234

I’m a tank because PW+SoM+Haste+Trickster means I’m constantly healing as I attack while evading and dealing solid dps. (in WvW I double as a mobile battering ram)

Works for Orr, works for dungeons. Doesn’t work in low level areas because you’re scaled back so much the heal isn’t enough.

And yeah that barn boss was horrible, what kind of boss only tosses bombs…slowly?

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

Pff…so biased. I’ll outdps and outsurvive you.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

see attachment for why you bring Warriors, it’s simply because no other class can come even close to the damage output, the faster you kill stuff, the faster you get your reward, the less time you have to spend.

I was in a party with 4 Warriors a few days ago with me playing as Guardian, and boy did it suck. They kept dying over again, taking way longer than it should have. I bet it would’ve been way faster with a party of 5 Elementalists or so…

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

see attachment for why you bring Warriors, it’s simply because no other class can come even close to the damage output, the faster you kill stuff, the faster you get your reward, the less time you have to spend.

I was in a party with 4 Warriors a few days ago with me playing as Guardian, and boy did it suck. They kept dying over again, taking way longer than it should have. I bet it would’ve been way faster with a party of 5 Elementalists or so…

5 bad ele players will still die the same way. I’ve run with most of the profession combinations I can think of, but for myself most overkill is the 2 guardian/3 warr combo (all melee).

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Well, I mainly play guardian in dungeon and yesterday I was grouped for HoTW explo, there were already 2 other guardians in the group, a warrior and last was a ranger or an engineer I can’t remember. Anyway, as soon as I was grouped, one of the guardians said no way, that it would take ages, etc, so I just left. Just an anecdot to show that even if you play a guardian, you can be unwelcome if the group is already filled with tanky members. Bad luck I guess.
Anyway, OP, just play what you like, you will find groups to do dungeons.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Two things.

1. 4 warriors is too many.
2. Said warriors must also have straight hands and a working brain.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

In general you can usually join a group since they mainly just say "LFM or GLFM… ".

If you want to be part of an exclusive elitist group, they might have certain particulars. I can tell you that Engineers are usually not on the elitist list whereas Guardians and Mesmers are most welcomed.

Posted by: GeckoAfterDark.1674

GeckoAfterDark.1674

Guardian, a AH hammer guardian.

Dungeon dream team would:

1 AH hammer guardian
2 Shout warriors
1 Banner warrior
1 Ele or necro for the aoe when needed.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Dungeon dream would be:
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Dungeon dream would be:
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains
1 player with brains

Upvote

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Iehova.9518

Sometimes brains aren’t necessary, just saying.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The only specifics I’ve seen mentioned when someone said LFM were tank (usually followed by warrior or guardian) and high dps.

When dungeons become significantly harder,

Source Plz?

When dungeons were first announced, they said explorables were the hardest content in the game and designed for a coordinated group of friends. During the betas, QA said that some of the dungeons paths were so difficult that their in-house team couldn’t complete them, but that was okay because they needed to be balanced for players that were better than them.

ArenaNet has two choices. Leave explorables PuGable or gradually make them more and more difficult as the game progresses. With the way things are going though, I would expect them to cater to the majority, leaving them easy and introducing a harder mode or even raids (as in the GW1 elite areas).

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Just to make this clear, HB isn’t actually the most damaging build in the game. The only reason people think it is such, is because they see a large number, ignore the long channel time, and the fact said channel time is tacked on to the cooldown (making it a 10s cooldown between packets of damage, in actuality, with cooldown reduction). Regardless of this statement, warrior is still incredibly strong for dungeons – mainly due to damage output, and you can either choose to go shouts or banners for support (truthfully, going straight-DPS and bringing along the +crit%/critdamage banner is pretty great).

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Most of my guildies who play guardian were tanks in WoW, and I think they’re mostly just frustrated that it’s not a traditional gain-the-aggo-and-hold-it tank.

Hehheh … yeah we tend to be creatures of comfort. In my case I lucked out here b/c in GW1 I was that guy … the one who mained Monk but only spec’d the Smiting/Protection skills that didn’t help the team nearly as much as HB/WoH facerolling would have. Got me kicked out of a lot of pugs too and created unnecessary drama in guilds I tried to play with. …..fun times…. Fortunately it’s the meta here which probably isn’t fair to everyone else. I’m too busy having fun to feel guilty tho.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Alex Sanchez.6792

Alex Sanchez.6792

A ele with ice bow is essential for AC exp runs.

you must be joking. I’ve got a GS, 2 1h swords, and a LB from AC exp and that’s never even once been a topic brought up for who needs what.

To contribute to the topic at hand, I’d honestly recommend warrior or guardian atm since they feel to be the most well rounded classes. I love that my warrior can go crazy DPS and crazy defense without having to toon swap. Full runes of the soldier plus shouts traited to heal and full cleric is a godsend. Add in a mace/shield weapon set and you have interrupts for days.

Posted by: exum.3746

exum.3746

warriors are quite sought after because of straight damage provided. my ideal group consists of 3 warriors 1 mesmer 1 water ele.

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

warriors are quite sought after because of straight damage provided. my ideal group consists of 3 warriors 1 mesmer 1 water ele.

Mesmers are below average in dungeons. Eles suck for supporting compared to guardians so water is just silly.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Mesmers are below average in dungeons. Eles suck for supporting compared to guardians so water is just silly.

You’re totally wrong about that. Ele’s healing support is far superior than guardians, as well as they can do from the comfort of ranged. They can also provide AoE blind spam, which given a lot of dungeon tactics currently is pretty strong. Eles can also trait to share the auras, such as Magnetic aura which is incredibly powerful in dungeons. Certain traits also share certain boons on attunement swap i.e. fury, protection. Don’t hate on support eles until you actually understand what they can do. Guardians wish they could support like Eles.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Raidium.3916

Raidium.3916

So in reality you’re looking at Hb doing between 15-40k dmg

No, you’re looking at consistent ~21k damage every 6.5 seconds, assuming uniform distribution of damage range and crits.

Assuming you hit, okay.

And for the record Hb glass cannon is the worst build ever

No, it’s the most damaging build in-game.

And its squishy as hell. Damage doesn’t mean I R IS BESTEST otherwise BS thieves would rock dungeons. Don’t get defensive.

if you miss that charge you die

Absolutely not. Where did you come up with that? Missing Rush does NOT result in death.

Let me clarify, in PvP and Wv3 missing your rush with a Hb glass spec is death.

so full zerker armor on a warrior for a Hb build is just bad, especially for dungeons.

This conclusion isn’t inferred from your previous (and already wrong) statements.

I think you’re overly defensive, a Hb glass spec has low survivability which in turn means you die more in dungeons where dmg isn’t everything.

High damage is good but its no good if your party is carrying you through because you die non-stop.

[/quote]

You seem to forget Whirlwind Attack is an extra dodge and it also deals damage. If you trait into Leg specialist, you can follow up with Bladetrail after Whirlwind for 2sec immobilized with 8seconds of cripple if you angle it right. I’ve played with many 100Bs glass cannons in lots of dungeons. Squishy, yes. But an experienced glass cannon recognizes attack patterns better than most. Even if you can’t land all hits from 100Bs, you can always cancel out into whirlwind to follow em.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Elementalist, simply because they can one-shot certain bosses with Meteor Shower like the end boss of CoF path 2

Iehova.9518

Mesmers are below average in dungeons.

Understatement of the galactic year.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Elementalist, simply because they can one-shot certain bosses with Meteor Shower like the end boss of CoF path 2

One-shot a hard boss then I might agree.

Mesmers are below average in dungeons.

Understatement of the galactic year.

Half of the classes will be below average. Maybe if Mesmers were sickly OP that would be an understatement.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

The ultimate dungeon group is, in my somewhat limited experience:
1 support Guardian with a hammer and an Altruistic Healing build
1 support Mesmer for ethereal fields and Time Warp
3 shout/banner warriors