Raid team introductions?

Raid team introductions?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

This thread is not for discussing issues with new or existing content. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss such things. Also, keep things civil. Nastiness, snark, and outright hate can go somewhere else — keep this thread free of it.

It’s no secret that there is a lot of bad blood between fans of instanced PvE and the development team at this point in GW2’s lifetime.

But with Raids on the way, perhaps this would be a good time to turn over a new leaf, wipe the slate clean, and try to repair relations between the players and the devs.

Let’s take a step forward, away from the dark past of dungeons and into the bright future of raids, and try to build a sense of comradery between the two camps. After all, we all want the same thing: A healthy, cooperative atmosphere that leads to the development of excellent, exciting, challenging, and fun instanced PvE encounters.

I believe that it will take a lot of time and effort to get dev/player relations to a healthy place, but we need to start somewhere! I think it would be a great start to put a human face on the Raid developers.

So towards that end, any ArenaNet employee who has been working on (or testing, or even just having fun playing!) the upcoming raid content is encouraged to post here and introduce yourself. Help us get to know you, and let us see your passion!

Some topic ideas:

- What’s your name?
- What do you do at ArenaNet? (Descriptions of the work you do are preferred over just a job title!)
- What has been your involvement with Raids?
- What feature of Raids are you most excited about? (Obviously just the bits you’re authorized to talk about!)
- What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids? (Obviously no spoilers! )
- What was your favorite encounter from the existing dungeon/fotm content? Why?
- Anything else you feel like sharing!

I’d love to get to know you all, and work to get rid of this “us vs. them” mentality that’s solidified in this community over the years. We understand that there isn’t a whole lot that you guys are allowed to talk about, but some friendly banter can go a long way towards building a brighter future (for all of us!) :-)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Crystal Reid

Crystal Reid

Game Designer

Next

What’s your name?
<—

What do you do at ArenaNet?
I make internet dragons. Previously worked on some Fractals, Tequatl, TT, Boss Blitz in QP. More recently I helped out Xpac with some new creatures and design for one of the new world bosses. And now I just get to come up with clever ways to kill players.

What has been your involvement with Raids?
Currently team lead and working with Jason to define what Raids in GW2 are.

What feature of Raids are you most excited about?
Recreating those epic memories and moments I’ve experienced while raiding in the past.

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids?
Getting ready to pull Gorseval during nightly raid, Byron being salty about us repeatedly wiping , and saying on TS before the pull “Byron you’re going to need a glass of water to lower those sodium levels”, which caused everyone to laugh so hard we failed to kill one of the walls and wiped.

What was your favorite encounter from the existing dungeon/fotm content? Why?
Probably the Volcano since that was the first combat based content I helped design (LeahR did most of the hook up/final touches on that one).

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

What a great idea. nice thinking dlonie.

And nice to meet you Crystal Reid; would be interesting to listen in on dev TS. You guys should leak and post xD

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

You worked on Volcano Fractal?
Now I am confident about raids. This is one of the best encounters, in which bringing pure DPS without mitigation can be extremely dangerous. People still complete it with Zerker, but at least they have to bring a sandstorm too .

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

What a great idea. nice thinking dlonie.

And nice to meet you Crystal Reid; would be interesting to listen in on dev TS. You guys should leak and post xD

We need the dev blooper reel.

Nice to meet ya Crystal. I’m curious, what games have you played in the past? And thanks for the Imbued Shaman, easy top 3 encounter for me (impossible to decide between him, Lupi and Mai trin).

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Wow, I’m super hyped for raids now. Nice to meet you Crystal!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Jason Reynolds

Previous

Jason Reynolds

Raid Designer

Next

What’s your name?

• Check it to the left. Is this where I namedrop myself for social media? Rad. @JasonArrr

• I was hired on about 10 months ago, so my whole time at ArenaNet has been working on the foundation for Raids with Crystal, as well as designing and creating the content. When I’m not making things, I’m usually telling Crystal how awesome I think I am. She generally ignores me.

• As mentioned, I was brought on explicitly for raid content. Crystal and I have been blazing the trail for what we think raids could and should be in Guild Wars 2. Now we get to see what you beautiful peeps think.

• Definitely excited to get players in to have fun with the content we have generated. That’s the whole reason I wanted to make video games, even as a kid. I love seeing people have fun while playing something I worked so diligently on.

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids?

• The big laughs always come from unforeseen bugs, like when a creature model blows out, or the AI decides it doesn’t want to be on this planet any more. I’m having trouble nailing a single memory down, atm.

• I love the kitty golems. Also the Jade Maw. And the snow one! Ooooh, oh, and the volcano.

(edited by Jason Reynolds.4297)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Cameron Rich

Previous

Cameron Rich

Game Designer

Next

What’s your name?

<— but the team calls me Cam

What do you do at ArenaNet? (Descriptions of the work you do are preferred over just a job title!)

I’m the Embedded QA for the Raids and Fractals teams. I’m in charge of our content from an overall quality perspective, so that means I write test passes, do reviews, set up internal playtests, and generally make the team mad by breaking things.

I was brought onto the team a while back to oversee the content for QA and drive our testing plan forward. I’ve set up internal testing plans and spearheaded a few changes in how the QA process works, so that it fits better with how raids are developed.

What feature of Raids are you most excited about? (Obviously just the bits you’re authorized to talk about!)

So, so much. The team has done an amazing job taking Raids and turning them into something unique to Guild Wars 2, even in the small subtleties. I’m personally excited to see the strategies people come up with to take down our encounters. We have our own, but who knows what will become the “meta”!

What’s a funny story about something that’s happened to you or your party while play-testing Raids? (Obviously no spoilers! )

One of the developers crippled everything during some of our early playtests, causing MASS mayhem. They are now dubbed “The Crippler.”

I absolutely adore the Molten Duo boss fight in fractals. It’s always a blast for me. For dungeons, I really enjoy the Subject Alpha encounters! And who can forget Lupi!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Thanks for kicking off the thread, Crystal and Jason! (Edit: and hi Cameron, too!)

FWIW, having you all post here actually has me way more hyped about the raids than the trailers and blog posts did :-)

Now I am confident about raids. This is one of the best encounters

I had the same thought Shaman is easily one of my favorite bosses.

Can’t wait to try the new stuff out! It sounds like Gorseval is the boss we saw in the trailer, surrounded by the blue (I think?) wall? Is that the encounter that we’ll be playing this weekend?

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Trevor Bennett

Previous

Trevor Bennett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

What’s your name?

• /wave I’m Trevor Bennett. So that’s a thing.

• I write code for player facing systems and try to support designers with their crazy ideas. To date I’ve worked on the “Royal Club” program for China, outpost and other random tech in the upcoming Jungle maps, and a bunch of improvements to our scripting system to allow designers to make their content a bit faster. Oh, I did all the those party changes several months ago where it logs the votes to kick when we increased the kick requirement to 3/5, so that was cool.

• I did all the initial set-up to make the raid instances work the way we want (entrance for 10 man squads, checkpoints, etc.) and be a tightly controlled environment (keeping players in combat for the encounter, no rezzing mid-encounter, etc.). I’ve also been working on implementing the enhanced squad UI and the new commander functionality that comes with that.

• Legendary Armor, though I despair ever managing to acquire it.

• Me complaining that Crystal’s bosses are too hard, her telling me to shut-up and suck less (or something to that effect).

• Swamp wisp running. I remember early fractals being so frustrated and never being able to pull it off (wanting to re-roll if we started with swamp), now it’s like, let’s just re-roll until we get swamp. Too easy now that I’ve figured it out.

And don’t worry about me making the raids too easy. :P The designers just ignore all my whinging. Though maybe I should add in some code for… if Trevor… then ezKill…

(edited by Trevor Bennett.3691)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Previous

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

What’s your name?
I’m Branden!
Going to follow Jason’s lead here. @PlanningFallacy.
I’m also on Reddit as ArenaNetBG
No, I’m not above shamelessly plugging myself on social media.

I am a Gameplay Programmer, Software Engineer when I’m trying to sound pretentious. I’ve been with ArenaNet for 2 years now. Most of that time has been working on the PvP team. (Which is why my forum tag still says this). As far as things I’ve worked on: PvP Reward Tracks, Standard Models, March 2015 Camera Changes, Stronghold, Mist Champions.
I am also responsible for that one time NPC’s had guild tags.

I actually joined the team a few months ago to help ensure Raids hit the level of polish that we always strive for. Most of my work has been helping develop the Enhanced Squad UI. You’ll see some of it during the BWE, trust me it’s going to look much nicer for ship. Our UI Artists are amazing.

Raids offer a type of theory crafting that I haven’t been able to do with my guild mates (friends). I’m very excited for some late nights throwing ourselves at these encounters, getting the snot kicked out of us and going back to the drawing board to work out how we change our strategies to overcome the challenges.

Anything else you feel like sharing!
Fun fact, during the WvW Adopt a Dev program both guilds that I joined ended up disbanding during the event.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

• Me complaining that Crystal’s bosses are too hard, her telling me to shut-up and suck less (or something to that effect).

So are you the one paying all the chiropractor bills?

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Killer Instinct.2058

Killer Instinct.2058

I make internet dragons. Previously worked on some Fractals, Tequatl, TT, Boss Blitz in QP.

The best time I’ve had in this game was during boss blitz, it required just enough coordination to be done by randoms, just enough time spent to be meaningful, and just enough rewards to be addictive. Awesome job with the design, and here is hoping for it to make a comeback in the future.

FWIW, having you all post here actually has me way more hyped about the raids than the trailers and blog posts did :-)

^This

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Trevor Bennett

Previous

Trevor Bennett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

So are you the one paying all the chiropractor bills?

Hah! I’m not even allowed on the playtest team. I’m what is colloquially called a “bad” I believe? But that’s ok, they say the same things to dev playtest team too.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Now I know who to personally yell at when you guys stop supporting raids!

Joking btw pls dont ban :’(

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Paul Ella

Previous

Paul Ella

Producer

Next

What’s your name?
Paul Ella

As a Producer for ArenaNet I work with the team to create development schedules, track deliverables, manage timelines, schedule reviews, etc. etc. Overall project management for the raids releases.

Previously I produced such classic projects as Heart of Thorns Prepurchase, SMS and Play For Free.

As the Producer for raids I am the Senior cat wrangler, Primary time / space / work manipulator and Lead ’it’s bigger on the inside’ project planner.

As an Englishman in Seattle my sense of humour is slightly different from the rest of the team. I enjoy it best when the play testers are running around like headless chickens as they are being wiped from one end of the instance to the other by the boss. Ahhh great days!

The one that always sticks in my mind is the first time I finished the Cliffside Fractal and saw the Colossus. I still bow every time now and wonder where he went and will we see him again?

Raid team introductions?

Jerus.4350

Yup, my feeling exactly.

Please, come hang out, I’ll try not to get too salty and pessimistic on you, promise (that I’ll try, not that I won’t ! ).

I played EQ from ‘99 till about 2013, the thing I miss most about that game was the devs, great people, super smart, and just a pleasure to talk to. I remember them opening up dialogues about issues plaguing the game just to brainstorm ideas on possible fixes. It was more than that though, it also let us know how hard it was to actually fix some of these things, some being actually impossible, better to just accept. I remember doing Beta’s with them logging in on a saturday morning, seeing them hard at work, logging out to go to bed and they’re still there at 2AM. So please don’t ever take my saltiness as a personal attack, I truly never mean it to be. I have nothing but admiration for all of you, you make a game that I can kill so much time with. Hell I play fractals almost every day and enjoy it… still! That’s saying something. I may get frustrated, may get salty, may just be the drunk old man I am (I’m not old but I identify as one ) but again, none of that is targetted towards you developers/coders/testers. Keep being awesome and keep making a game I enjoy, and please, don’t be a stranger.

Anyways, certainly looking forward to some drunk raiding this weekend, I’ve been missing my old EQ guild’s battle cry (click glug glug glug, lets go!)

Raid team introductions?

Jerus.4350

As the Producer for raids I am the Senior cat wrangler, Primary time / space / work manipulator and Lead ’it’s bigger on the inside’ project planner.

Season 9! Love the new salty Doctor

The one that always sticks in my mind is the first time I finished the Cliffside Fractal and saw the Colossus. I still bow every time now and wonder where he went and will we see him again?

Please say this is foreshadowing, wink wink nudge nudge

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

This is a fantastic thread, and I enjoyed reading all the dev responses. Thank you all so much for sharing with us.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

This is a great thread, thank you to Dlonie for starting it and thank you to all the devs who are posting!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

What’s your name?
Jon Olson

Like Trevor and Branden, I’m a cat — er, gameplay programmer. Before joining the Raids team I was involved in Play-For-Free, Streaming Client, Beta accounts, among other things.

I help Crystal, Jason and the rest of the team fulfill their evil desires.

The tears. Honestly, I’m excited about pretty much everything.

Forgetting that I don’t have gliding unlocked until after I’ve jumped off a high ledge… every.. single.. time.

I haven’t really gotten around to any of this content on my personal account. I avoid seeing as much of the story as possible when I’m working in these areas.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Raid team introductions?

Jerus.4350

Jon, come play! promise it’ll be fun.

I have to say the Beta account thing is flipping fantastic, very impressed with the way GW2 does it. In the past it’s always been a separate log in and all that, which works, but is a bit tedious, and doesn’t give as much real gameplay, not with GW2, you can play all the old stuff with friends not in beta, getting real experience. It’s quite impressive. Kudos to you and whoever else worked on it, that’s quite the feat.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

This was such a heart warming read. Hello to everyone !

Snow Crows [SC]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

Wow, I love this thread. Thank you for sharing Devs! Great Idea starting this thread OP.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Anyone played Wildstar? I didn’t myself, but what I read about it was something like “caters the hardcore crowd, has it flaws, but the dungeons/raids are great”. Having this in mind, I did some quick google research and now look what I found out about Jason Reynolds.4297 previous work at LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-reynolds/10/3b3/954

:)

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

What’s your name?
Paul Ella

A Time Lord works for ArenaNet! I’ve sometimes wondered if I’d seen a blue box in game.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Great thread, this is the kind of community interaction I’d have wished for one or two years ago. Thanks!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

Great topic, Hype is real

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Anyone played Wildstar? I didn’t myself, but what I read about it was something like "caters the hardcore crowd, has it flaws, but the dungeons/raids are great". Having this in mind, I did some quick google research and now look what I found out about Jason Reynolds.4297 previous work at LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-reynolds/10/3b3/954

:)

it was fun, attunements for raids were a bit crap (screw "get max rep with all dominion factions", and the "get gold in veteran dungeons" made the dungeon community pretty cancerous (one death from ANYONE? everyone dropped group. not a speedrun? drop group. fail an optional objective? drop group.) >_>) but the encounter design is a JOY to experience.

I remember the first time my guild did Kel Voreth at release, the wipe we had on the final boss when it went into its "ground AoE bullet hell" phase had us laughing so hard at wtf we were suddenly dealing with

world and level design is brilliant too, my one sorrow is that I can’t dual-path explorer and scientist for jumping puzzles AND lore (and puzzles)

I wonder how GW2 would fare if it adoped the "dodging does not give invincibility frames" mechanic?

if the guy who did the level design for W* is now on the raid team, I’m expecting this to be a treat

(and I’ll say it again "GW2 need chua, chua best race, better than bunny ears, maybe breed charr/asura? *cackles manically*")

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

woo nice guys! welcome everydev! nice to meet ya!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

-snip-

Always nice to be reminded that my favorite dev at Anet who’s done some of my favorite content is working on raids.

I absolutely adore the Molten Duo boss fight in fractals. It’s always a blast for me. For dungeons, I really enjoy the Subject Alpha encounters! And who can forget Lupi!

So one of the people working raids share my favorite three dungeon/fractal bosses?

I’m liking the raid team more and more.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

One of the developers crippled everything during some of our early playtests, causing MASS mayhem. They are now dubbed “The Crippler.”

At least you never had to ask for “CC”!

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Rhea.9836

Rhea.9836

What a lovely thread! It is so nice to meet the devs behind the raids and get to know what it is they enjoy and are excited about. Kudos for starting it! Also many thanks to the devs for your replies! They have been great to read and genuinely got me excited about raids, in this “I want to know what you’re on about” way.
Can’t wait!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Pancake.5021

Pancake.5021

Yay! Hi dev friends! This is such a great idea for a topic. I personally am so excited for Raids

PS- Paul, Carl the Flesh Golem would look really hip in a little submarine. Just sayin…

For the glory of Derphaven!
Best Failmander of Darkhaven!
Non Verbal Persuasion [NVP]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: ttyl.6021

ttyl.6021

This down-to-earth devspeak has inflated my hype much more than previous buzzwords did. For both our sakes, I hope you pull raids off :P

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

What a great thread! Thanks everybody for introducing yourselves and sweeten my breakfast

#mademyday

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Darkk.3018

Darkk.3018

I love love love reading all these red posts from devs. It made for nice reading. Thanks for taking the time to come and introduce yourselves

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

Cheers for introducing yourselves, it’s good to have some enthusiasm and a living breathing development team on the roll for end-game PvE.

very special guild tag [tX]

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Ricky.4261

Ricky.4261

Thanks for taking the time to say hello.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

I have to say the Beta account thing is flipping fantastic, very impressed with the way GW2 does it. In the past it’s always been a separate log in and all that, which works, but is a bit tedious, and doesn’t give as much real gameplay, not with GW2, you can play all the old stuff with friends not in beta, getting real experience. It’s quite impressive. Kudos to you and whoever else worked on it, that’s quite the feat.

My thoughts exactly when i read Jon’s post, the beta system is pretty fantastic.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Dharmz.8205

Dharmz.8205

Well done and thank you dlonie for creating this thread, and thank you devs for joining this thread. I hope this does help the dev/player relationship . From what you guys are saying, it sounds like raiding will be a blast!

Also loving those funny raid stories XD. Nice meeting you all .

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

What a great thread. Thank you all so much for taking the time to introduce yourselves, and thank you dlonie for the initial thought! It’s simply great hearing that there are so many developers stalking our humble abode.

I guess I’ll say this as an aside for anyone visiting from other forums or who don’t visit the forums regularly—I am your Forum Specialist. I am your voice to these developers when they get too wrapped up in development to post (even though they still read), and I can help leverage things that are popularly discussed on the forums to them. Disregard that my title officially doesn’t say “Raids” yet, because that’s an oversight and they’ll get to it when they get to it.

I will be writing essays for this weekend about all of the thoughts and feedback, so please remember to post what you’re thinking here. If you post it in this forum over this BWE, I will read it and your voice will be heard. I promise.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: vJac.7486

vJac.7486

This is amazing, the fruastraion from constant party wipe, the need to actually cripple everything, and the running of headless chicken, now I am all hyped up for raid!

(edited by vJac.7486)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: gabs.2054

gabs.2054

You guys are the best!!

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: senna.9250

senna.9250

Now I am confident about raids. This is one of the best encounters, in which bringing pure DPS without mitigation can be extremely dangerous. People still complete it with Zerker, but at least they have to bring a sandstorm too .

Pure DPS in this fractal work beauty if u know what to do. If u know what to do 2 players full glasss cannon can do this fractal. That is a good exemple of how understanding mechanics makes ur life easier.

#Crystal Reid (this question its also for other members that want to tell us about it too!)
Can you tell us some of your inspiration of designs mechanics that playes can use to play(i mean other games and people and what they have special)? What other professional “level” designers do you like? Also, how important is to you make the players fell some pleasure in some encounters with your bosses and how it connect with you inspiration to make it happen?

PS: Vulcano its a pretty cool fractal, congratz.

• I love the kitty golems. Also the Jade Maw. And the snow one! Ooooh, oh, and the volcano.

The Snow one? That is not a good exemple, that one have some problems to make the player have fun. I dont know if you are really talking the true…

(edited by senna.9250)

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

To all the devs who replied here: Thank you for this. I really enjoyed getting to know a little about all of you and it really helps to assure me about the development of the game by hearing back from you, even if it’s just a simple introduction, rather than just having a bunch of unknown people behind a curtain.

I’m also really looking forward to delving into the raid content today. Much excite.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

The funniest thread ever

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

itssomething.jpg
Monitoring.

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

What’s your name?

Anything else you feel like sharing!
Fun fact, during the WvW Adopt a Dev program both guilds that I joined ended up disbanding during the event.

LOL

Raid team introductions?

Posted by: andrepc.6384

andrepc.6384

Love this thread, great idea! I agree with whoever said: this is hyping raids even more for me. Also, Crystal and Byron needs more on-camera time. They were awesome at TwitchCon! (edit: and also Irenio of course!)

And Paul! We need some playtime back together man. You are the only bait we have for WvW! :P

(edited by andrepc.6384)