Raids (in anticipation of...)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Call this a pre-emptive discussion. (Also one induced by a certain level of boredom.)

Right now, the details on legendary armor are not that clear to my knowledge. There is a chance that the system will address most concerns and most people will love it. Stranger things have happened.

But let’s talk disaster for a moment. If the raids require heavy completion of them to make legendary armor, and are challenging content on top of that, there will be a lot of raging about legendary armor. You can expect that if the raids are particularly difficult, people will be asking for nerfs primarily because they want legendary armor.

This could very easily cause a firestorm of conflict, wherein those who mainly want challenging content are up against those who want legendary armor. If this happens, I recommend that you (Anet) look hard at the concept of divorcing legendary armor somewhat from raids, as opposed to nerfing the raid content. If legendary armor hinges too much on raids, you will essentially be turning into a raiding game, where “fashion” takes the place of “power upgrades,” and you will have to deal with the balancing of hardcore and casual that comes with the territory.

That said, this is all hypothetical at the moment. Let me know your thoughts on this subject guys. Speculation, known information, how you feel about the subject, etc.

Please keep it civil. Thanks.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Nobody rages at glorious hero armor.

Anet’s in a truly rough spot. They can’t give us engaging content without kittening off the PvE base.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

Not everyone is suppose to have Legendaries. People complain about having to do content they don’t want to do for the current Legendaries. Well, too bad. If you’re not willing to do what is required for a Legendary then you don’t deserve it. Same with Legendary armor, in fact, I believe it more so for that.

Legendary armor is a big deal… it should be gated behind the hardest content the game has to offer. If that kittenes off the entitled people that think they deserve to have legendary armor doing what they want in game, then so be it.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

What do you think “Legendary” stands for? It’s the highest grade of armor you can get, it’s supposed to be a statement of skill/wealth (in case of the legendary weapons pretty much only wealth, which is where ANet messed up). Legendary armor should stay locked behind raids and only be given to those who can reliably clear it to show that they deserve this armor and it’s not something every second person is running around with, like we have with current legendary weapons.

Labjax.2465

it’s supposed to be a statement of skill/wealth (in case of the legendary weapons pretty much only wealth, which is where ANet messed up). Legendary armor should stay locked behind raids and only be given to those who can reliably clear it to show that they deserve this armor and it’s not something every second person is running around with, like we have with current legendary weapons.

Ah, but this hits on the classic raid argument, which is that while some players might be skilled, it is not that hard to simply team with people who know what they’re doing and get carried by the skill of others.

The only scenario this argument does not hold in, is if a raid is so finely tuned that every single player needs to be doing an outstanding job to succeed. But when raids are tuned like that, it’s usually only a handful of guilds clearing them, with an eventual nerf an inevitable thing to avoid scaring away half the playerbase.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

GW2 players, by and large, have a problem with instant gratification. For example, the forums were chock full of people complaining HoT mobs were too hard for the first week or two after release, but they learned how to deal with them and changed their builds to be better about it. Raids will follow the same curve. Everyone will be complaining about how they are too hard, but after no more than a week or two many people will have cleared the first wing, maybe multiple times.

The best thing I can think of? Ignore them, they’ll get over it. Engaging, challenging content has finally been added to GW2 and I’m really glad that’s the case.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Labjax.2465

GW2 players, by and large, have a problem with instant gratification. For example, the forums were chock full of people complaining HoT mobs were too hard for the first week or two after release, but they learned how to deal with them and changed their builds to be better about it. Raids will follow the same curve. Everyone will be complaining about how they are too hard, but after no more than a week or two many people will have cleared the first wing, maybe multiple times.

The best thing I can think of? Ignore them, they’ll get over it. Engaging, challenging content has finally been added to GW2 and I’m really glad that’s the case.

How am I supposed to argue with an alternate hypothetical? Darn you. Foiled again.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Hopefully ANET learned a lesson in the past. Do not gate a unique tier of a weapon/armor behind only one type of content. I think it is fine that raids are the FASTEST way to earn legendary armor as long as they are not the ONLY way to earn it. Unique skins of course are perfectly fine.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Anet needs to not cave on this one since legendary armor is not any better than ascended. Purely cosmetic and can change stats which is cool, but not neccesary.

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

Not everyone is suppose to have Legendaries. People complain about having to do content they don’t want to do for the current Legendaries. Well, too bad. If you’re not willing to do what is required for a Legendary then you don’t deserve it. Same with Legendary armor, in fact, I believe it more so for that.

Legendary armor is a big deal… it should be gated behind the hardest content the game has to offer. If that kittenes off the entitled people that think they deserve to have legendary armor doing what they want in game, then so be it.

i agree with this, I’ll never bother making any legendary, even if some look cool, i aint mad.

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

You want legendary armor but don’t want to do raids, go craft ascended gear, its the stats are the same.
If you want legendary armor cause they look good and don’t care about the stats, go do the raid, no alternatives.