"Rangers Can't Play Their Class"

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This is the Dungeon Subforum. Which means there is exactly one way to play your class. If you do something else you are a noob.

Not really…though there are good ways and bad ways to play a class, especially when it comes to team play.

I wish we could have these discussions without all the rage and over-defensive passive-aggression.

I just wish someday the users in this forums realized is not a ranger’s fault if he wants to use a bow, and its not (entirely) the elitist’s fault if he wants his mates to play properly… it is the devs fault not to build a game where a ranger can play with a bow or a guardian as a defender or an elementalist using a staff or bla bla, you get the point. Game sucks (?)

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Guardians dont play defenders? Ele’s shouldnt use a staff? come come now.
Its not the rangers fault he wants to use a bow? Even before I knew about bowbears I was rockin the sword. Who’s fault was it that exactly?

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

@op
Majority of ranger players pick the worse setups when it comes to contributing to a team.

“If I kick this ranger and replace with a <insert profession here> on the same skill level, the non ranger will probably contribute more” is the common idea.

This is the Dungeon Subforum. Which means there is exactly one way to play your class. If you do something else you are a noob.

Not really…though there are good ways and bad ways to play a class, especially when it comes to team play.

I wish we could have these discussions without all the rage and over-defensive passive-aggression.

I just wish someday the users in this forums realized is not a ranger’s fault if he wants to use a bow, and its not (entirely) the elitist’s fault if he wants his mates to play properly… it is the devs fault not to build a game where a ranger can play with a bow or a guardian as a defender or an elementalist using a staff or bla bla, you get the point. Game sucks (?)

Everyone can play what they want, its just no one can’t force what their playing to be accepted by other players in their party.

Everyone’s entitled to have an opinion on what they think is fun but they aren’t entitled to ruin other player’s fun by insisting their way is acceptable to people who don’t accept it and vice versa.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You see a bunch of ranger using bow, and very few warrior is spaming rifle in dungeon.

People have the impression ranger are suppose to use bow, due to lore from books/movie/other games.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Of course it’s partly the player’s fault. I think we can all agree there are some flaws by the developer’s part, but that by no means fully excuse the player for running an ineffective build. Because there’s ineffective builds for every class. A classic ineffective build is going all into the toughness trait line no matter what class you’re in over a power/precision/ferocity tree.

Now whether they find it fun to run a casual build is beside the point here. But some of the players are adamant into even believing their build is effective when it truly isn’t.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Maybe it’s partly Anet’s description that gives the impression :P

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.
— GuildWars2.com Ranger

I’ve come across some decent rangers in pugs who bring frost/spotter/dps pet but they use GS mostly. I guess rangers are more welcomed in organized guild groups?

Posted by: Alora.6841

Alora.6841

False.

So why all the “Play Zerker or you are stupid” “Play Sword/Horn or you are stupid” etc? I dont mind though. I really find these discussions entertaining and I am very successful with my Longbowranger ( she killed every gauntlet boss including Liadri btw. I heard this was impossible, but…oh well^^).

I am Commander Shepard and Evons Company is my favorite store in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

False.

So why all the “Play Zerker or you are stupid” “Play Sword/Horn or you are stupid” etc? I dont mind though. I really find these discussions entertaining and I am very successful with my Longbowranger ( she killed every gauntlet boss including Liadri btw. I heard this was impossible, but…oh well^^).

Well first of all, you are mixing up group content with solo and open world content. The key difference is that your playstyle isn’t effecting 4 other people when you are doing things such as gauntlet and living story, no one really cares what build you run there. It’s a bigger issue in dungeons/fractals where your playstyle directly influences other peoples and effects how long it will take.

“Successful” is a pretty general term, it doesn’t take much effort to just complete content in this game if that’s all you care about. However, efficiency is completely different and where most of the arguments come from. Longbow/Shortbow rangers are not efficient or successful when it comes to pulling their own weight in a party who’s goal is to farm content quickly. There’s a pretty distinct difference between doing all your dungeons in 4-5 hours and doing the same dungeons in 8 hours.

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

To the OP, if you’re wondering why Rangers are shunned, you will know by the fact that there are so many people here not agreeing with sw/wh + gs, spotter, frost, etc.

Amazing how some people even went as far as saying that Ranger isn’t a stacking class.

In organized settings, the Ranger is bound to pick up a conjured weapon from the Ele so the sword problem isn’t such a big deal.

If it’s a casual run and you absolutely critically need to time your dodges, then just use GS. In speedruns, it’s easy to imagine that dodges are usually unnecessary due to active damage mitigation.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Rangers suck

Truth hurts

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Alora.6841

Alora.6841

Longbow/Shortbow rangers are not efficient or successful when it comes to pulling their own weight in a party who’s goal is to farm content quickly.

I think that is the problem with the dungeon subforum. It’s not about playing dungeons, it’s about farming dungeons. If there was a Queensdale thread before the update, it would have been all about the train and not the ton of other stuff assiciated with that map.

I dragged a lot of people through the Aetherpath by now( I always PUG with my fiance, so usually 2 experienced players +3ppl who are doing the path for the first time). These guys are so thankful every time. That is much more fulfilling than finishing in 30min.

I am Commander Shepard and Evons Company is my favorite store in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

Longbow/Shortbow rangers are not efficient or successful when it comes to pulling their own weight in a party who’s goal is to farm content quickly.

I think that is the problem with the dungeon subforum. It’s not about playing dungeons, it’s about farming dungeons. If there was a Queensdale thread before the update, it would have been all about the train and not the ton of other stuff assiciated with that map.

I dragged a lot of people through the Aetherpath by now( I always PUG with my fiance, so usually 2 experienced players +3ppl who are doing the path for the first time). These guys are so thankful every time. That is much more fulfilling than finishing in 30min.

The issue with this is that there’s no discussion to be had on runs like that. Once strategies for dungeons have been learned, the dungeon forum turns to learning more efficient ways to do content, not more efficient ways to teach content to new players. I find it spectacular that you’re teaching people Aetherpath, but there isn’t anything more to talk about for those runs than there is when I start “Story, anyone welcome!” runs on my full dps Warrior, and carry 4 level 30-35s though it. The regulars to the dungeon forums are, for the majority, people who have finished every dungeon more than a few times, and aren’t interested in playing with people who are under the assumption that by running a power shortbow build with a pig, they’re being a competent and useful member of a party.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

These guys are so thankful every time. That is much more fulfilling than finishing in 30min.

What makes you think we dont do that also? That we cant enjoy separate things? Who are the people in https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Mentors again?

not saying Im part of mentors as I suck

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Because of the way this game is each class has a new way of playing for almost every encounter. A ranger has to switch their off handed weapons depending on the situation, from warhorn to torch to axe to dagger which provides a different gameplay. This is true for all professions (or most, I have no idea on warrior or engineer or necromancer). Skills and traits can often be altered in order to make a run easier (I’m thinking untraited wardens, Sam! And things like “do I need a might stacking ele or should I run staff? Should I run dagger MH for cleave or scepter for might?”)

When you say that we all condone playing all classes in a single way, static, you’re not really seeing the entire picture.

Also yes. We have a near 250 person teaching guild that has been largely successful. Please don’t knock what you don’t know.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

You see a bunch of ranger using bow, and very few warrior is spaming rifle in dungeon.

People have the impression ranger are suppose to use bow, due to lore from books/movie/other games.

It’s also that Ranger melee weapons are god kitten ed awful to use. I only leveled mine to 8 but god kitten that perma-hopping with mainhand Sword is super-annoying.

I can almost understand why most Rangers don’t play it.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

PUG rangers can be godawful but sometimes they can be absolutely godly.

I went and did COE I think it was with a PUG with 2! rangers. Now, many players would be “to hell with this I’m outta here”, but I’ve been wrong enough times that I generally keep an open mind. So away we went….and absolutely blitzed the dungeon. No downs, no defeats, no wipes. It was like watching synchronised swimming, it was so perfect.

On another note, one of my guild members is a godly ranger. She refuses to play the meta and plays it her style and our core fractals running guild group always includes her. She knows when a bow is sensible, when to melee, swaps weapons in and out of inventory as need be, blasts might and her pets have provided that meat shield at the right moment on too many occasions to count.

Anet really needs to rework that sword attack chain. It’s caused way too many deaths for it to be viable.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

It’s also that Ranger melee weapons are god kitten ed awful to use. I only leveled mine to 8 but god kitten that perma-hopping with mainhand Sword is super-annoying.

I can almost understand why most Rangers don’t play it.

Sure, at first its awlfull, but with practice you can even manage to dodge with that thing(skill 3)*, its important to never give up o/

*: timing corretly, all u need to dodge SEp1 boss AOE is that kitten skill 3, pet however…

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I’m curious why some people have that black/white attitude. If it’s a ranger with a bow, the dungeon-run MUST last more than 1 hour, it MUST have at least 2 wipes.

I could say the same to any other profession. Mesmer, keep your clones out of aggro! Necro, those minions are the reason why we wiped again. GS-Warrior, why don’t you have banners instead of full-signets? Thieves, just get rid of sword, please! … and so on.

In truth, every profession can be played in a lot of different ways and be viable. Not necessarily speedrun-viable, but wipeless viable without doubling the run-timer.

If you want to have casual runs, great! Join casual groups, it’s all good. We want to have fast runs, we join speed-clear groups. Everyone’s happy.

The best quote in this thread imho. Every one of you can choose which group you wanna join. I wouldn’t join a speedrun-group with an experimental new build with any profession. I don’t expect others to have a certain build when doing normal runs though, you don’t turn 30 minutes into 90 minutes just because of a build, it’s the player skill that matters, and how he/she can work with the chosen skills.

Clones don’t take or cause aggro, neither do pets. No one takes necros either so that’s a moot point. Signet warriors are easily filtered out and they DO get kicked on a regular basis too so I don’t get your point.

Most PHIW pug groups do in fact fail on a regular basis. There’s a reason why you always see LFGs for groups that are like “LFG one more for AC P2, on last boss”. It’s because those are the PHIW groups comprised of healer ele, staff guardian, bearbow, and condi GS mesmer with zero DPS not being able to kill the endboss, so they keep rolling pugs and hope a zerker will come along with enough solo DPS to meet the threshold.

And yes, I imagine most of those pugs end up sitting there for at least twice the average duration of a casual zerker run.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet designed the dungeon game so that paths could be completed by any group composition. Profession design is such that most builds on all professions are viable. They did not set out to make every build on every class optimal. That would have been a fool’s errand, as the only way to make a totally balanced playing field would be to eliminate diversity.

Some players don’t care if they’re optimal, some do. Some rangers can’t play the profession’s optimal build. Others choose not to because they don’t care for that build. The problems creep in when the optimals end up in the same group with the non-optimals. The other problem is that being in a group with optimal players does not interfere with what the non-optimal player wants, while having a non-optimal player along does interfere with what optimal players want.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

“LFG one more for AC P2, on last boss”. It’s because those are the PHIW groups comprised of healer ele, staff guardian, bearbow, and condi GS mesmer with zero DPS not being able to kill the endboss

If they’re in p2, it sounds like one of those staff guards who refuses to run Wall of Reflection because, quote, “I’m a DPS build”.

Yes, I’ve had that happen. With a staff guard. -_-

And well put, Indigo.

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

Ok, I admit it, I play a ranger that would qualify as “BearBow” (I just learned what that term meant from this thread). It is just one of my toons but I do have one and I do play it that way but I normally play WvW with it. I had toyed with going into some dungeons with it but from what I am reading now, that would not be the best class to bring.

I’m ok with that I guess and I understand all the valid remarks about the Ranger’s strengths or lack there of. Understanding that could someone please post a build that you would accept in your group? Granted I don’t pug as I have a good guild support system but I don’t want to short change them by bringing in a class that will not be supportive.

I run a full berserker build, glass cannon style right now. I thought I did a lot of damage but I guess not enough. What does the sword bring to the table that the greatsword doesn’t? (honestly curious)

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Ok, I admit it, I play a ranger that would qualify as “BearBow” (I just learned what that term meant from this thread). It is just one of my toons but I do have one and I do play it that way but I normally play WvW with it. I had toyed with going into some dungeons with it but from what I am reading now, that would not be the best class to bring.

I’m ok with that I guess and I understand all the valid remarks about the Ranger’s strengths or lack there of. Understanding that could someone please post a build that you would accept in your group? Granted I don’t pug as I have a good guild support system but I don’t want to short change them by bringing in a class that will not be supportive.

I run a full berserker build, glass cannon style right now. I thought I did a lot of damage but I guess not enough. What does the sword bring to the table that the greatsword doesn’t? (honestly curious)

http://youtu.be/via57Pzvm58

There’s a good start.

I’m kinda not bothered about the bloodlust stack anymore, though. All the bloodlust weapons that I have now are from the pre-patch. I don’t think it’s a big deal and Night+Force is definitely cheaper than Night+Bloodlust/Force+Bloodlust.

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

What does the sword bring to the table that the greatsword doesn’t? (honestly curious)

Sword has more damage than greatsword. There are two evades to the greatsword’s one. As a 1h weapon you can bring warhorn for party fury/swiftness, dagger for another (easier to use) evade, or axe for anti-projectile (very rare).

EDIT: also torch for fire field

Greatsword is an option in areas where sword is less viable (some fractals)

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

(edited by Dave.2536)

TurtleDragon.3108

What does the sword bring to the table that the greatsword doesn’t? (honestly curious)

Sword has more damage than greatsword. There are two evades to the greatsword’s one. As a 1h weapon you can bring warhorn for party fury/swiftness, dagger for another (easier to use) evade, or axe for anti-projectile (very rare).

Greatsword is an option in areas where sword is less viable (some fractals)

Everyone forgets torch

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Oh right, lolfirefields.

Editing

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: Soa Cirri.6012

Soa Cirri.6012

(Flame trap is a 3-second fire field you can use every 15 seconds [12 traited])

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

(Flame trap is a 3-second fire field you can use every 15 seconds [12 traited])

Bonfire has a 8 second duration by default and you can change out to a more useful off-hand after the initial might stacking, if others cant provide fire field.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Professional Rangers know that the spec you use for your Ranger in every aspect of the game is 100% wrong in instanced content like a dungeon. Amateur Rangers don’t know this, so they go into dungeons or fractals in their general PvE/WvW/PvP build and give all Rangers a bad name.

Obviously, Rangers aren’t the only class that faces this issue, but most players are more forgiving of other classes who are poorly specced because they at least bring SOMETHING to the group, whereas Rangers outside of instanced content are almost exclusively specced SELFISHLY as part of their class design.

Moral of the story: Learn a good dungeon spec and use it for dungeons. Use your other spec(s) OUTSIDE of dungeons.

Even better, get two Rangers and save time on gear/trait/pet swapping.

Best, run with guildies.

Server: Devona’s Rest

TurtleDragon.3108

(Trap potency is a waste of a trait slot and 3s untraited isn’t long enough for your party to get much use of it from LH or other blasts. Flame trap doesn’t work outside of combat either which is the where the torch sees the most use because it’s easily made obsolete by other members of your party)

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

I miss my splinter weapons barrage ranger, that much is certain.

As for rangers in this game, I think one of the problems with the class is the haphazard placement of traits. Why are the major pet damaging traits in Skirmishing? Why are the major weapon utility traits in stuff like Wilderness Survival or Nature Magic? Why do most of their % damage modifiers require 25 points of investment? Beats me.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

(edited by TheKillerAngel.3596)

Posted by: Franklin Fhenrir.4962

Franklin Fhenrir.4962

As a spotter/frost sword/x ranger it makes me sad to see how the class gets hated by most, because most players playing rangers are so selfish. Even i was hating on other rangers who used bear bows with whom i run dungeons with, and when is ask them to swap a trait or skill ( wich can be done whenever you are out of combat FOR FREE!) they completely ignore you and stay ranged, resulting in those rangers getting kicked by the party.

Being a ranger doesn’t mean you need to equip a bow. We would be called Bowman or Archers if we only could play bow. Rangers are survivalists who also use close combat weapons like GS and daggers to avoid damage while dealing damage. I just wished people could understand that a solo pve roaming bear bow build is not the same as a team based dungeon build. You gotta help your fellow people in those dungeons and not staying save from 1500 range while the rest gets smacked around.

What i like most when i run my traited Ranger is the reaction people have whenever they see a sword AND spotter + spirit. Makes me feel happy to show how the ranger class is a great supporter. It also fills me with joy when i re roll a other class and i get a random ranger running the same setup as me.

You either die a underpowered class or you live long enough to be the overpowered one.

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

I have not played the game seriously for months except doing the daily. So this week I suddenly feel like to play some dungeons. I used the LFG and joined a random group that did not have any requirement. As I enter the dungeon with my ranger (I have all 8 class sitting at each dungeon and I just feel like to play ranger atm), one of the guy asked me what weapon I use for dungeons and I answered anything I feel like to play right now. Guess what I got kicked from a random group XD. Seriously any build I play (as long as it’s zerker) will end up fast for any dungeon as long as the group knows the path. I don’t know why after 2 years of game release people still tell how others should play XD.

That’s say everyone knows the path and no one dies and everyone equips the “right” weapon zerker build, takes 8 min to finish cof p1. And a ranger use a different weapon and the game finished within 10 min instead of 8 min. What is the big deal? XD People prease don’t forget it’s a game… Next time make sure in the LFG tool do mention you are the kind of group who only want some specifics in the description.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I have not played the game seriously for months except doing the daily. So this week I suddenly feel like to play some dungeons. I used the LFG and joined a random group that did not have any requirement. As I enter the dungeon with my ranger (I have all 8 class sitting at each dungeon and I just feel like to play ranger atm), one of the guy asked me what weapon I use for dungeons and I answered anything I feel like to play right now. Guess what I got kicked from a random group XD. Seriously any build I play (as long as it’s zerker) will end up fast for any dungeon as long as the group knows the path. I don’t know why after 2 years of game release people still tell how others should play XD.

That’s say everyone knows the path and no one dies and everyone equips the “right” weapon zerker build, takes 8 min to finish cof p1. And a ranger use a different weapon and the game finished within 10 min instead of 8 min. What is the big deal? XD People prease don’t forget it’s a game… Next time make sure in the LFG tool do mention you are the kind of group who only want some specifics in the description.

Great for you. It’s a game, yes, but everyone values their time differently. As someone who will SOMETIMES get 30 minutes a night to play, that extra 2 minutes could mean the difference between getting to run CoF 1 + TA UP or just one of them. The more I get to run, the more fun I have. It’s a game, and I will play it how I want, and for something like cof 1 kicking you and finding someone who uses the right weapon for the job probably took 30 seconds versus the “2 minutes” you claim it would be.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Aragorn was a sword/x Ranger.

Legolas seems to be the problem. That longbow 360noscope camper.

I WISH rangers in gw2 could bow/dwarf like Legolas.

Nobody tosses a dwarf.

[ARES]

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Nobody tosses a dwarf.

Lol, he might be cool & handsome, but ended being kicked due to lack of group support. The thieves (one lowlevel 400 cook) had to duo volcanic fractal to destroy that annoying infused ring (also with no skin drops).

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I have all 8 class sitting at each dungeon

That’s a lot of alts O.o

But yeah, that sucks that a no-description group kicked you. But you might want to stick with LFGs that are explicitly casual if you’re going to say “I play how I want” if they ask what weapon you use on your ranger.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Nobody tosses a dwarf.

Lol, he might be cool & handsome, but ended being kicked due to lack of group support. The thieves (one lowlevel 400 cook) had to duo volcanic fractal to destroy that annoying infused ring (also with no skin drops).

But that silly guardian used the ogre pet whistles almost too late (I mean, he had a cool down from that LAST time) and saved the thieves from certain death. Staff guard OP?

[ARES]

Lucas.9157

But that silly guardian used the ogre pet whistles almost too late (I mean, he had a cool down from that LAST time) and saved the thieves from certain death. Staff guard OP?

At least he did that… Before, he pulled all the mobs without Line of Warding or Wall, resulting in the sword/shield warrior’s death.
And tried to solo Sauron with staff.
And didn’t warn the thieves about the spider’s immobilize.
Also always leaves the group for map completion.
That jerk 20k+ AP staff 1 camper.

Lilith Ajit.6173

At least he did that… Before, he pulled all the mobs without Line of Warding or Wall, resulting in the sword/shield warrior’s death.

Buahahaha. Those spiders were definitely stonetouches. Didn’t you see when he had a full set of radiant armor (plus the chest and leggings, he’s that high up there)? He even has an unreleased mount. What the heck.

[ARES]

Lucas.9157

Buahahaha. Those spiders were definitely stonetouches. Didn’t you see when he had a full set of radiant armor (plus the chest and leggings, he’s that high up there)? He even has an unreleased mount. What the heck.

Yeah, he was there since the closed beta. At least he gave up with the 13 warriors and 1 thief comp. That redundancy.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, he was there since the closed beta. At least he gave up with the 13 warriors and 1 thief comp. That redundancy.

It might have worked if the thief had equipped group stealth rather than just his own.

[ARES]

Lucas.9157

It might have worked if the thief had equipped group stealth rather than just his own.

Even if he found some sneaky way to increase the number of targets for stealth, probably one of them would dodge and aggro everything XD

Lilith Ajit.6173

Even if he found some sneaky way to increase the number of targets for stealth, probably one of them would dodge and aggro everything XD

Well the least he could have done was help stealth his Asura friend. I mean, he was like, what, a level 10? In a fractal? With no weapons and starter armor? Geez.

Anyway I’m just waiting for the day they give those oakheart mounts like those two others got. I hate exclusive rewards.

[ARES]

Lucas.9157

Yeah, such an advocate for play-how-you-wanters.

I’m not sure, those oakheart mounts have a huge time gate to move, lol. At least they give OP DPS agaisnt constructions.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, such an advocate for play-how-you-wanters.

I’m not sure, those oakheart mounts have a huge time gate to move, lol. At least they give OP DPS agaisnt constructions.

Yeah… but firey rush owns them hard.

[ARES]

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Lol, I’m dying.
I hope I won’t get infracted for this…
I vote this as thread with the best comments of the week.

Posted by: oniralas.9687

oniralas.9687

tl;dr: Anet mechanics cause direct conflict with ranger mechanics.

Ranged is an important aspect of any tactical situation. Melee has it’s place, as does ranged and support (even without the “trinity”, we’re talking just pure tactical layout). Right now, range suffers in contrast with melee, and ranger’s get the brunt end of it. Their class design is a selfish one (on purpose) with little thought to the groups-are-everything mentality currently existing in game (truth be told; I don’t care. I roll solo 90% of the time w/ ranger).

I don’t mind melee rangers, but I tend not to want to play them often. I dislike having to play a specific loadout just to get in a group. If I want a lazy faceroll with a big shiny blade, I switch over to warrior. The pet mechanics do lend itself to reduced situational awareness as someone levels (dodge, etc) but there isn’t really anyway around that. Hell, with self-healing shout warriors back in the day…I don’t think I ever dodged from 1-80 pve LOL.

I want my machinegun-esque shortbow back and some sort of area procs for ranged that would actually help folks. Bearbow…not so much. Never was a fan (well, unless we count the closed beta weekends hehe).

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

The remarkable thing is that it really isn’t hard to be helpful as a Ranger. Just 4 points in Marksmanship for Spotter, 2 points in Nature Magic for Vigorous Spirits, and Zerker gear with a Sword mainhand.

It’s not a “specific build.” There are so many variants of the SSS Ranger it’s pretty amazing. Some can slot in Hunt for a nice burst with Maul and SotB, some can take Stone Spirit for group protection, or just take the standard “Sic’ Em!” with QZ. Or you can go lazymode with Wilderness Survival traits to carry bad players. So long as you always bring Spotter with Frost Spirit w/ Zerker gear and mainhand Sword, you’ll -always- be useful.

Every decent speedclear group uses at least one Ranger.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

TurtleDragon.3108

Every decent speedclear group uses at least one Ranger.

False. (I wish it were true though)

Lucas.9157

snip

We are the elitists. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.