Reflects and Dungeons

Reflects and Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yes, kept this thread alive longer than necessary, I just don’t like to be “proven wrong” with flawed or trollish arguments.

Let’s split the difference and admit both sides were giving trolling and/or flawed arguments. That way this ends.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

If you defend reflects and think you are good at this game… please think again.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

@Bread: Reading that post by Hrouda I wonder if he’d still have that stance. When he wrote that that, dungeons were a very different experience where toughness was considered important. He states that if someone’s skilled enough, they should be allowed to run gear magic find gear, a gear set that was more reviled than clerics is now; back then you were considered a leecher if you weren’t geared to survive and were using magic find gear.
Now magic find gear is just plain gone and you’re considered a leech if you’re geared to survive. Dungeons have gone with minimal care for the past long while, and the veterans have learned practically all the tricks. The standard is now a singular playstyle when it was once greatly varied and full of experimentation. It makes me wonder what Mr. Hrouda would think if he saw the dungeons as they are now.

Basically it is as it says – “full glass is viable”.
Padding up is for situations where people can’t really handle the damage taken.
He was also around when people started soloing lupi.

It’s still the same situation as now, it’s just that more people learned how to handle full glass and for it to be successful people do need to know the dungeon itself.

Anyway I think this is a derail.

Unless they make piercing and unblockable a consistent mechanic where it is VISUALLY intuitive (ignore the fact of balance since we know theyre crap at it), it;s a dumb idea to do these changes here and there. Since size or dead angles is of no significance in gw2 easiest way is common visual/audio indicator.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

So you feel that they should render some skills pointless because it promotes a higher skill requirement? Quick question, but have you tried Wildstar yet? That’s what it is.

Just annoys me to make skills not as useful, it takes the flavor out fo the game. Should we all be running full ele + war groups and stuff like that because utility skills are just crutches? Just doesn’t sound fun to me /shrug.

It does push more of a reliance on dodging which requires more skill, there’s no argument there.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Im defending Rendering Skills pointless, we need more useful skills not less.

SAB or RIOT

(edited by Faux.1937)

Reflects and Dungeons

Wethospu.6437

You actually get more useful skills for an encounter when it lasts more than 5 seconds.

So you feel that they should render some skills pointless because it promotes a higher skill requirement? Quick question, but have you tried Wildstar yet? That’s what it is.

Just annoys me to make skills not as useful, it takes the flavor out fo the game. Should we all be running full ele + war groups and stuff like that because utility skills are just crutches? Just doesn’t sound fun to me /shrug.

It does push more of a reliance on dodging which requires more skill, there’s no argument there.

No, I feel that something must be done to nerf overpowered mechanics. Of course their easy “solution” won’t fix anything but at least they seem to be aware of the issue.

I personally believe each encounter should take AT LEAST 1 minute to finish so that there is a possibility to fail it (5+ minutes would be preferable though). Reflects clearly violate this in some cases.

Best way to fix would be balanced encounter design with multiple enemies, mobility, pressure and so on. Alternatively/additionally adding “reflect cap” and/or significantly reducing reflect duration would help the issue.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

You actually get more useful skills for an encounter when it lasts more than 5 seconds.

No, I feel that something must be done to nerf overpowered mechanics. Of course their easy “solution” won’t fix anything but at least they seem to be aware of the issue.

I personally believe each encounter should take AT LEAST 1 minute to finish so that there is a possibility to fail it (5+ minutes would be preferable though). Reflects clearly violate this in some cases.

Best way to fix would be balanced encounter design with multiple enemies, mobility, pressure and so on. Alternatively/additionally adding “reflect cap” and/or significantly reducing reflect duration would help the issue.

That I can agree with. I just hate the idea of “nope it doesn’t do anything here now”

I think we all know how easy a quick dodge +Knockback + FGS can down Malrona. So i don’t really see what was gained here overall other than pushing us away from one tactic and into another.

I’m all for making Reflects a set damage based on player stats rather than based on reflecting the actual attacks for absurd damages.

I do think that abilities like projectile walls need to be useful though. It’s a major part of both Guard and mesmer professions.

Reflects and Dungeons

Wethospu.6437

Eventually FGS gets tweaked too.

There is a quite big difference between being useful and being able to trivialize an encounter without much effort.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Make reflects and projectile defence useless. Bringing other classes down to the necros level one mechanic at a time.

evil laugh

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Waiting for bloomhunger change.
Maybe at least 1 attack would be unblockable.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

LoSing is abuse of a stupid AI
Reflect is an intended mechanic

For some reason developers still are taking everything except direct damage out of PvE.

O’rly?

What about choke Points in WvW? That’s exactly the same as LoSing NPCs. Difference is SOME, not all, people in WvW know to hold up and wait for a massive push through the choke point. but either way it’s a strategic use of the environment to gain the upper hand.

Difference is you don t know if people will actually pass in the chocke point, will pop invul, will (and this happens often) send few stealthed mesmer to portal people on your back and whatever.

With the lack of AI you know boss iwll come straight in the corner instead.
The AI won t try to counterplay stacking.
And anet try to simply remove things from the game rather then adding risk to abusive tactics to make them balanced.

What anet do is called workaround and its usually used as a temporary fast solution before a fix.

Anet instead sees it as the fix itself, expecially when there is no need at all to hurry with a workaround doing more harm to the game than the issue itself.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

They should at least add a particular visual for unblockable projectiles (maybe some red pulsing glow). Their half-kittened workarounds are getting out of control.

Snow Crows [SC]

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Do you really think that ANet’s vision of how bosses are meant to be fought by stacking ontop of the boss, dropping reflects like mad and smashing 111111111?

…Bingo.

HHR is OP, bingo too easy. Lucas, pls nerf.

No, to what field should my statement apply to? Cause I can’t see it.

Data-mining too strong. Stealth bingo patch incoming.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Make reflects and projectile defence useless. Bringing other classes down to the necros level one mechanic at a time.

evil laugh

EVIL!!!!! I for once never think nerfing reflect at Marolna is a big deal. The AC Queen Spider’s attacks are not reflectable as well. They’re both spiders, so shouldn’t there be some similarities?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Reflects and Dungeons

Lucas.9157

Balance? Consistency? No need for that! It’s a fantasy game after all.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

evil laugh

Seems like something ANet would do. Instead of buffing the Nec in PvE, they rather nerf all the other classes. A shame though, I wouldn’t mind if my Nec wasn’t so easily replaceable. :P

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

There is a quite big difference between being useful and being able to trivialize an encounter without much effort.

They’re sure taking their time

And there’s quite a big difference between being useful and not being useable at all.

Take Alphard, reflects should allow you to avoid his pistol unload and stuff like that. But make his pull in attack pierce them such that you can’t avoid the main mechanic by just tossing up walls. Malrona I think the change is fine, I just don’t want to see walls made useless like that on other fights. Lupi let me use it as a shield for that Phase2 AE, but restrict the damage reflected so people can’t depend on it to finish the phase for them.

At least that’s my opinion on that. Restrict damage, and make sure bosses have more than just reflectable attacks. But, what they did was a giant Kitten You to mesmers/guards on Malrona, I don’t want to see that carried over to anything else.

Reflects and Dungeons

Wethospu.6437

It’s good to keep in mind that it was just a one attack with Malrona. Only reason it feels big is that she only has two of them…

Reflects are still useful in lots of places so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Keep in mind that it took 18 months to simply associate the Arah p1 waypoints with the correct bosses. If that’s our yardstick for fix timetables, we’ve got at least 3 years left before they revamp FGS.

Reflects and Dungeons

Lucas.9157

Keep in mind that it took 18 months to simply associate the Arah p1 waypoints with the correct bosses. If that’s our yardstick for fix timetables, we’ve got at least 3 years left before they revamp FGS.

April 15th 2017 Feature Patch

BALANCE, BUG-FIXING, POLISH

Exploitation

• Exploitation is a new stat added to the game. This stat will increase some selected skills damage (e.g. Fiery Rush, Ice Bow, Wall of Partial Reflection, etc.) for each point acquired. Base damage for those skills was significantly toned down.
  • Exploitation is inversely proportional to Power, Precision and Ferocity in order to favor build diversity.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Wall of Partial Reflection

idea inb4trashcan

Reflects and Dungeons

Lucas.9157

idea inb4trashcan

I LOL’d

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

idea inb4trashcan

Attachments:

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Adamo.4201

Adamo.4201

Almost every “boss” in the game can now ignore reflect world bosses, fractals, and of course dungeons, If they didn’t want us using that skill just remove it entirely. Imagine doing a fractal 50 with lava shaman knowing that your reflects won’t be able to reflect his infamous arrow lol.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

I’m a bit worked up by this because the difference it makes is minimal and tedious.

So now AC p2 boss cannot be reflected. So what? FGS rush, die, rally off boss. The time of the encounter has practically no difference ever since the boss takes damage.

As far as interestingness goes, it’s like adding reflectable attacks to bosses without one. Since there was never the need to bring guardian in AC p1 for instance, even if they have reflectable attack, there wouldn’t be any need to bring a Guardian or a Mesmer still.

Next in Anet’s amazing progression: no more reflectables in CM.

Reflects and Dungeons

haviz.1340

Almost every “boss” in the game can now ignore reflect world bosses, fractals, and of course dungeons, If they didn’t want us using that skill just remove it entirely. Imagine doing a fractal 50 with lava shaman knowing that your reflects won’t be able to reflect his infamous arrow lol.

Do people use reflects against his arrows? I thought it was against grubs.

Reflects and Dungeons

LordByron.8369

Do people use reflects against his arrows? I thought it was against grubs.

When you are Killing grubs you want to avoid being hit by the Arrow ._.
Looking at both gribs and boss is quite difficult since the boss floats quite high.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Reflects and Dungeons

haviz.1340

When you are Killing grubs you want to avoid being hit by the Arrow ._.
Looking at both gribs and boss is quite difficult since the boss floats quite high.

I’m more scared of his enraged firestorm that could easily wipe entire party at now-not-available scales.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Is this true? Didn’t have issues.

Snow Crows [SC]

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Is this true? Didn’t have issues.

It’s not true, people are just exaggerating.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Next in Anet’s amazing progression: no more reflectables in CM.

Panties and Stuff : Noooooooo!!!

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The part that I find frustrating is the indecision on the developers’ part. Are we as players supposed to use reflects or not? If not, then why are the skills and traits there? Just remove or disable them in PvE.

This wishy-washy stab at a compromise is the worst answer to the question because it makes it so players are unable to rely on their skills and it creates a vast world of “hidden knowledge” needed to successfully retrieve their use. If you don’t know about an encounter well ahead of time, you can really only make an educated guess as to whether your reflections will even work, and what precisely the effect will be in the event they do. There are absolutely no consistent rules; some are based on encounter-specific nerfs, some are for “balance”, many are things that seem to behave as projectiles (and therefore cause massive damage) on a questionable basis, and many others are very obviously projectiles that for whatever reason cannot be blocked or reflected.

Why does my skill intended to defend the team and bolster our damage not work on Malrona but work just fine on Aldus Stormbringer (who doesn’t even move?) Why am I able to reflect dredge ground slams, the effigy’s ruptures and Colossus Rumblus’ third pound attack, but unable to reflect Alpha’s Teeth of Mordremoth? Why can’t we reflect the detritus spat out by wurms? “It’s for balance” is not a sufficient reply.

This doesn’t only go for reflects but for many other creative uses of skills. Before the most recent patch, one used to be able to either cleanse General Molradovich’s fire ring (which rewarded selfless utility choices and build compositions) or even send it back to him via Arcane Thievery.

Now both strategies have been made useless, and so newer players must learn that Arcane Thievery can sometimes transfer conditions, sometimes not. Why? What purpose does this serve other than to cause disappointment? The game has eight classes for a reason, if the team wants homogeneity then why not just lock us into a basic do-it-all class from the beginning?

Cus content and features.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Reflects were too good. The problem was that they scaled up too well against strong enemies, particularly boss mobs, and that had to be fixed. This fix isn’t great but there’s no going back. Suggest something new that is fairer than both what went before and what we have now.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

nerf reflection for arah p1 final boss pls ty

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

Nerf stealth in arah all paths, pls ty

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

I would kite any projectile aimed at me into a teammate and then use his downed body as a “shield”, ressing him just enough to survive another hit if necessary. >.>;

I wonder if Warrior’s riposte/shield would block it and mesmer’s scepter/sword would block as well?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Reflects and Dungeons

haviz.1340

I would kite any projectile aimed at me into a teammate and then use his downed body as a “shield”, ressing him just enough to survive another hit if necessary. >.>;

I wonder if Warrior’s riposte/shield would block it and mesmer’s scepter/sword would block as well?

When projectile is unreflectable it usually means it’s unblockable as well.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Untraited wardens destroy everything, though.

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

Shield of the Avenger destroys as well, do you know if that works the same? Can’t say I have used it heavily outside of a few situations where it has worked fine, usually WoR is the go to and gets the job done very well.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, let’s make everything unreflectable/undodgeable/unblockable. Deal?

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, let’s make everything unreflectable/undodgeable/unblockable. Deal?

Make GW2 into a bullet hell? Actually that sounds fun. (assuming by undodgeable you mean remove the invincible frames from evades.)

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Shield of the Avenger destroys as well, do you know if that works the same? Can’t say I have used it heavily outside of a few situations where it has worked fine, usually WoR is the go to and gets the job done very well.

SoA doesn’t do anything to unreflectable stuff.

Destroying that kind of projectiles seems to be the only niche unique to mesmers right now.

Reflects and Dungeons

maxinion.8396

Destroying that kind of projectiles seems to be the only niche unique to mesmers right now.

dat portal as well

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

portal consumable

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Reflects and Dungeons

maxinion.8396

portal consumable

rip mesmer

y u do this to me colesy

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

Cool, thanks for the info. So safe to assume SoA follows the same rules as reflects but simply blocks instead of reflects?

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

What is not fine is to halve the hp of a single boss by reflecting his projectiles. If such thing would happen in any other MMO (say wow), the servers would be shut down and this issue would be immediately hotfixed.

You do know the reason why the boss nukes itself so kitten the reflects right? Its because the boss fires out so many one shot kill attacks. Of course if the boss is using a gatling gun of one shot kills attacks, and that gatling gun’s projectiles are reflected its going to take a big chunk out of the boss.

Again, like with many perceived issues with GW2 PvE, this is largely a symptom of poor designs elsewhere in the game.

Reflects and Dungeons

haviz.1340

Till the fix.

Reflects and Dungeons

maxinion.8396

Till the fix.

they…… they wouldn’t dare…..

Reflects and Dungeons

LordByron.8369

Just putting some slopes on the floor would be enough to prevent iwarden to work at all.
See uncategorized fractal last boss(es).

GW2 balance: