Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

If it irritates you, then leave the group. If it irritates a majority of the group, kick the players who wish to skip. It has been repeated so many times in this forum: Don’t tell people how they are supposed to enjoy the game. Fun is subjective.

Again, I will bring up the SC argument. In GW1, why did people dump fortunes in trying to go from a 15 minute UW to a 14 minute? A 18min DoA to a 17min? Because they had fun doing so!

It’s not pure laziness or lack of skill. It’s how people enjoy doing dungeons. Stop telling people otherwise.

I never played Guild Wars 1 (yet) so I don’t know the things you are referring to. Sure if you want to be the fastest at a dungeon and find that fun I can semi understand the challenge in that but I don’t know I just like spending time with friends, relaxing our way through a dungeon, messing about, having a laugh. Making fun of Kholer’s love for ropes

I guess what I’m saying is that in any group I’ve been in that wanted to speed through dungeons there was practically zero communication and to me it was boring.

Plus I feel if you want to do a dungeon fastest you should aim at doing all the content within the dungeon you were intended to do in the fastest time. Skipping it IMO is cheating that race type of challenge.

Devs have stated that skipping Kohler is an intented strategy, and the fact that you like to relax and mess around in dungeons, doesn’t mean that I can’t like the opposite.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Duelist.6235

Duelist.6235

Kholer is considered a bonus event that offers a chest and a central wp as a reward.

I personally skip him in all groups I play in (unless a troll pops up, because free chests are always nice) since, with the limited time I have to play every day, I’d rather have more time to do other dungeon speed runs and other dailies in general.

In fact, I tend to skip pretty much every group of monsters that is not required to proceed usually by running past them (including the spiders at the beginning). Our runs tend to take around 25-30 mins for all three paths.

(edited by Duelist.6235)

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Kami.7369

Kami.7369

Guildy of mine got Dusk from Kohler’s Chest. This is because exotic weapons can come from the large chests from bosses. Not saying that killing Kohler guarantees your a precursor, but same as in sports, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If you don’t kill Kohler, that’s one less chance at an exotic.

Jonlo Vangalen
Getof Fenris – Blackgate
http://getoffenris.com/

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Henryik.8260

Henryik.8260

You may think you and your pack of lvl 80’s are pretty pro by shuffling around the edges of his platform, but please understand that it makes you look like a complete amateur. Seriously, I’ve fought him with a group of lvl 50’s and no one was downed, convinced a bunch of 80’s with an ego that could barely fit in the dungeon and they ALL died. Seemingly incapable of a single well timed dodge once every 30 seconds. If you’re not capable of fighting the bosses that the dungeon can throw at you, then please, just don’t even try.
/end rant

Only amateurs will even bother killing mobs that are not necessary to kill. They don’t even drop lodestones or cores. Now go back to ur uber 30 minutes full clearing 1 path while i can finish all 3 paths in 45 minutes

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Guildy of mine got Dusk from Kohler’s Chest. This is because exotic weapons can come from the large chests from bosses. Not saying that killing Kohler guarantees your a precursor, but same as in sports, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If you don’t kill Kohler, that’s one less chance at an exotic.

Dusk -This weapon can be acquired randomly from the mystic forge by combining 4 random high level (75+) rare or exotic greatswords. The higher the level and rarity of the items to be combined directly translates to a greater chance of getting a precursor. This item has also been known to drop, on extremely rare occasion, from dungeon chests, bosses, or boss-like foes.

The chest could have come from any number of boss’s in any zone basically. I still vote to skip him just because its quicker, chances are really slim anything will drop and the way point is not needed most of the time.

Even the best groups and players can mess up on any boss or fight, it happens. Ive died to TA last name fight on this past Sunday in the first time in, i cant even remember how long. It just happens sometimes. So anyone who claims skipping him shows that others are not good players is a horrible argument. Hes just not worth the time to fight in most cases. I would rather just get the zone over with and my 60 tokens quicker is all.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

If you enjoy skipping all the fun fights and content just to get some silvers that your choice true but I think it’s sad that you can’t see the enjoyment of doing fights like Kholer.

Yes, of course you will understand how the game mechanics works when you’ve done CoE but at the time we did the fight people weren’t high enough level to do CoE (Well for the most part).

Nobody knew what dungeons were like, how to deal with the mechanics. It was all figured out as we went along from dungeon to dungeon. We learnt the dungeons the hard way without guidance.

As for loot, to me it’s mostly a bonus for doing the fun content. Still after hundreds of times doing dungeons I do them for fun. Sure I like and want the reward just as much as the next person but it’s not the reason of doing dungeons. I can get those same rewards elsewhere.

I think it’s sad that you somehow, for some reason, expect me to enjoy the same things you do. And in this case that thing is repeating an action that is time consuming, unchallenging and unrewarding.

Is it so hard for you to grasp that when people want something, they want it quickly and efficiently? And also that I can’t possibly enjoy a the 90% of the rest of the dungeon because I didn’t do one optional boss?

And why is it you seem to think you learning how to defeat Kholer is somehow more of a feat than me learning to defeat Kholer? Did we not both engage him, recognize the telegraph for his scorpion wire, and learn to dodge appropriately? Where is the challenge in repeating that fight, over and over again, when me and four others want silver and tokens?

Or do you believe that progress in the form of itemization is enjoyed by such a niche group of people in MMO’s?

I’m sorry, but don’t tell me what’s fun and challenging. I know where to get my fun and challenge in GW2. And it’s not from Kholer.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

pro·fes·sion

noun?/pr??feSH?n/?
professions, plural

A paid occupation, esp. one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification

Killing Kholer doesn’t pay. Pros skip him. Shame on you for misguiding your 80 party to dieing and paying repair costs for no profit at all. Three blue items and a useless waypoint is a terrible trade off for the time and tedious effort of fighting Kholer (to be fair, his tell – like most mobs – is often obscured by particle effects).

I think you misunderstand what a pro is.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

That Way Point is only helpful to players who then die in the next phase, which is very unlikely considering it’s the easiest stretch of both routes before another Waypoint is unlocked anyway further up ahead. So, If you’re not dead during those 5 or so minutes it takes to reach the next phase, then how is the WP useful?

What? That next event is the hardest one in the dungeon, you crazy.

Could you be more specific? The Burrower room is always completed BEFORE you have to pass through Kohler’s little island and most pugs that lose more than a single player in it are doomed to fail it anyway. Meanwhile Detha’s SpikeTrap is also the easiest portion of her path right now too. And it doesn’t get difficult until after you’ve already unlocked the next Waypoint right next to the final room (full of the currently bugged spawn-rate of Ascalonians)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

(to be fair, his tell – like most mobs – is often obscured by particle effects).

Luckily, it’s like 3 seconds long.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: rhinton.4628

rhinton.4628

I have to get over 1000 tokens. No I don’t want to waste time fighting Kholer.

Agreed…
Obviously the OP hasn’t played with “every” lvl 80 player out there.
Most people skip because of time issue, and like it was stated, “kitten rewards”.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Herosandwich.6203

Herosandwich.6203

If i’ve faced alpha enough times to be outfitted in full CoE armor on two characters, then yes I do feel entitled to skip 5 minutes of garbage fight when possible on a lulzy lv 35 dungeon that’s made of styrofoam so I can get my 60 tokens that much faster.
/thread

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Ashur Etil Lani.4518

Ashur Etil Lani.4518

I’m in two guilds, one of them does only dungeons. We skip him. If we need to pug it we will quit if someone triggers him. We don’t find him a fun boss but a boss that really shows all thats bad whit downlevelling. If you find him a fun boss to kill every time more power to you, just don’t try to make yourselves seem better for not skipping. The fight is not neeeded and gives no rewards. Now if you want to talk about running through TA skipping 70 procent of all encounters and making the Dungeon a wipe fest be my guest.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Miu Xie.5872

Miu Xie.5872

One of my friend’s friends had The Legend drop from Kohler’s chest, so there is some worth in passing Kohler.

Then again, I skip everything I can to finish the dungeon as quick as I can, since I’m usually in it for the tokens + silver. You can skip the first burrow, the spider queen, the gravelings in the trapped hallway before Kohler, oozes and gravelings after the 3-trap event in p2, and gravelings in the tunnels before final boss in p1/p3. If you finish the run in <30 minutes you get 15+ silver drop from the last boss, which adds up to 41s with finishing the dungeon (and more if you sell the drops you get along the way). As for Kohler, I let the cave troll deal with him whenever it spawns.

Sanae Kurita, Mag

(edited by Miu Xie.5872)

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I think it’s sad that you somehow, for some reason, expect me to enjoy the same things you do. And in this case that thing is repeating an action that is time consuming, unchallenging and unrewarding.

Is it so hard for you to grasp that when people want something, they want it quickly and efficiently? And also that I can’t possibly enjoy a the 90% of the rest of the dungeon because I didn’t do one optional boss?

And why is it you seem to think you learning how to defeat Kholer is somehow more of a feat than me learning to defeat Kholer? Did we not both engage him, recognize the telegraph for his scorpion wire, and learn to dodge appropriately? Where is the challenge in repeating that fight, over and over again, when me and four others want silver and tokens?

Or do you believe that progress in the form of itemization is enjoyed by such a niche group of people in MMO’s?

I’m sorry, but don’t tell me what’s fun and challenging. I know where to get my fun and challenge in GW2. And it’s not from Kholer.

This is the kind of mentality I don’t understand. Why do the dungeons if you don’t like them? There’s other more efficient less hassle ways to make money plus I don’t really understand the need to insult someone because they enjoy the content and would like others to enjoy it too.

Anyway, I think Kholer is fun. All of the AC dungeon has good/bad memories for me which makes it more fun for us to do. That’s for all dungeons really remembering doing them first time around.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Henryik.8260

because AC gives the highest amount of money of all dungeons? i’m closing on to my 15th stack of ac tokens but i still do all 3 paths a day, why? good cash

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

This is the kind of mentality I don’t understand. Why do the dungeons if you don’t like them? There’s other more efficient less hassle ways to make money plus I don’t really understand the need to insult someone because they enjoy the content and would like others to enjoy it too.

I don’t understand it either. How many times do I have to tell you I don’t enjoy fighting Kholer, for various reasons, before you realize I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the rest of the dungeon?

Even if I didn’t enjoy the dungeon, I may in fact enjoy profiting from it. But that’s not the case. I think I’ve already mentioned that I can’t stand farming Orr. Yes, it’s more efficient, but it’s boring. So I do dungeons instead.

Does that I mean I like for them to take long for no reason? No.

Last I checked a good handful of people like the rewards more than they like the work required to get it. In-game and in real life.

(edited by UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420)

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Arty.3261

Arty.3261

We skip Kohler and the spider because it is much better to finish all 3 paths of AC in approx. 35-45 minutes (if there are any hiccups) than to drudge through that whole place fighting useless mobs for blue drops. Let the chest in AC start dropping worthwhile loot then maybe I will consider dragging the troll on Kohler and still running past, instead of just ignoring them both. Still going to skip the spider, worthless time sink.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

gamefreak.5673

We skip Kohler and the spider because it is much better to finish all 3 paths of AC in approx. 35-45 minutes (if there are any hiccups) than to drudge through that whole place fighting useless mobs for blue drops. Let the chest in AC start dropping worthwhile loot then maybe I will consider dragging the troll on Kohler and still running past, instead of just ignoring them both. Still going to skip the spider, worthless time sink.

I never even tried to skip the spider, that’s a few more minutes off the zone now.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Fay.2735

I never played Guild Wars 1 .

Then please don’t talk crap to people like me that played GW1 since launch. You have no idea what you are talking about and you’re just making yourself look dumb.

Also please don’t talk about skills because it’s we skip bosses. I played infuser in top 200 GvG, and held halls with 8 paragons before, so don’t bring up the whole skill level thing at all.

Uhm, Where did I mention anything about lack of skill in anything I said? Also what has Guild Wars 1 to do with any of this either? Being plain offensive just for the sake of it is really not cool.

I don’t understand it either. How many times do I have to tell you I don’t enjoy fighting Kholer, for various reasons, before you realize I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the rest of the dungeon?

Even if I didn’t enjoy the dungeon, I may in fact enjoy profiting from it. But that’s not the case. I think I’ve already mentioned that I can’t stand farming Orr. Yes, it’s more efficient, but it’s boring. So I do dungeons instead.

Does that I mean I like for them to take long for no reason? No.

Last I checked a good handful of people like the rewards more than they like the work required to get it. In-game and in real life.

I heard you the first time in regards to you not enjoying the Kholer fight, if you want to skip it that’s your prerogative. I’m just saying that I don’t like the idea of skipping bosses period as I said I can empathise with skipping non boss mobs but I feel dungeons should be done for the fights as well as reward not just a boring chore to get a reward. Games are meant to be for fun.

Of course everyone likes rewards but my point is that I’m sad to see when people only care about reward and don’t enjoy the content. Me personally I wouldn’t do content I don’t like doing like I refuse to do the orr chain grind, as yourself I can’t stand it. I feel the dungeon experience is a package deal if you don’t do all of the content it’s not the entire experience but again that’s just my opinion I’m not saying anyone elses is invalid.

I guess I’m just standing up for Kholer because I like the fight, it’s the most engaging one in AC, makes me sad to see so many people skip it. I can understand it I just don’t agree on the whole concept of skipping bosses. As I said that decision is yours I’m not attacking you here nor anyone who does want to skip it.

People are being far to defensive (and offensive) in this thread in general. You don’t want people telling you to not skip a boss yet there’s people using derogatory comments towards someone who supports the idea of not skipping bosses. Even though I’ve not said anything offensive to anyone.

Anyway, I said my piece, I love Kholer, I’m not for skipping content for some silver. I wouldn’t run a dungeon group with people who would skip bosses. I also see nothing constructive to be gained from posting in this thread further with the inflammatory comments. I’ll be counting down the new dungeon release with excitement and enjoy fighting Kholer in-game instead

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Fay.2735

Good news, Kholer now gives one of the karma bags and 3 tokens, so worth doing him now

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: rhinton.4628

rhinton.4628

Good news, Kholer now gives one of the karma bags and 3 tokens, so worth doing him now

Did you just fight him after the update?

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Fay.2735

Yup I did, He gave one of those promised bags, So did the spider queen and cave troll.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

gamefreak.5673

Yup I did, He gave one of those promised bags, So did the spider queen and cave troll.

Hey now I have a reason to spend 4-5 minutes now on him.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

He also drops 10 silver in addition.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Is this a guaranteed drop or just random? Some of the Champ howlers you don’t have to fight drop 15s or nothing.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

Is this a guaranteed drop or just random? Some of the Champ howlers you don’t have to fight drop 15s or nothing.

Guaranteed. We ran all AC paths twice (6 total runs) and they dropped at least 10s every time. Before the update, any champion past the one in the trap hallway would drop ~5s, and the endboss would drop ~15. Now, almost all the major bosses drop a decent amount of silver (only the champion in the trap hallway and the breeder champion in Detha’s Trap Room lack a consistent coin drop).

For speed clear purposes, you can still skip the unnecessary trash, but killing the spider queen and kholer net you some extra coin and bag rewards.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Graywolves.8023

Graywolves.8023

I always thought it was pretty scrubby to skip Kohler. It takes maybe 3 minutes at most to kill him if you need to pick someone up a lot. You then get a WP that kills downtime for 2 of the paths and a chest.

Now you also get a bag of wondrous goods.

It’s actually pretty foolish to believe you’re being more efficient by skipping him.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Skipping Kholer is always faster, if you don’t believe so, you’re not running the right route.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

as Khol now gives us 10s each kill, i really dont see how he is nolonger worth killing

its like 2 minutes for an easy 10s

AND a chest

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Aireroth.7596

Aireroth.7596

Hehe, people need to learn how to dodge now. : >

Edge Of Sanity [MAD] – Gandara

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Henryik.8260

well now we started to clear all bosses cuz of the special potential loots and money, which brings one clear to around 20 minutes a path. Happy now OP?

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

I still just ask my groups whether or not they want to kill him. The few extra silvers aren’t half bad, but some people still find tokens most important.
To each their own. It’s barely even worth arguing over.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

With 10 silver, lootbag and a chest + waypoint he’s definitely worth killing now.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Fay.2735

I still just ask my groups whether or not they want to kill him. The few extra silvers aren’t half bad, but some people still find tokens most important.
To each their own. It’s barely even worth arguing over.

But you get 3 tokens each for killing spider queen, cave troll and kholer… that’s 9 tokens more than if you did the dungeon by skipping bosses.

Skipping Kholer. Not on.

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

Or instead of ranting on the forums you could accept the fact people prefer skipping something thats not worth the time…
Not sure why anyone would act elite because they skip the luitenant…