Small things that bug you in (PUG) dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

crafting nike likes using emoticons when condescending towards people.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

crafting nike likes using emoticons when condescending towards people.

Lal.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

hmm i have to select one of my best of’s…
-staff ele on water attument that doesn’t heal you 1hp during whole run
-ele with 3 signets (staff ele ofc)
-longbow ranger who complains about melee players who died while on 1200 range
-rangers in general because i have never seen a ranger using something else then longbow/shortbow in dungeons despite the weapon switch button
-too talkative pugs that continue to die because they simply have to type in chat what they had for lunch
-when ppl randomly rant that ascended chest they got for 6th time is not the stats they wanted while i did over 1500 fractal runs and didn’t get any chests whatsoever

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

hmm i have to select one of my best of’s…
-staff ele on water attument that doesn’t heal you 1hp during whole run
-ele with 3 signets (staff ele ofc)
-longbow ranger who complains about melee players who died while on 1200 range
-rangers in general because i have never seen a ranger using something else then longbow/shortbow in dungeons despite the weapon switch button
-too talkative pugs that continue to die because they simply have to type in chat what they had for lunch
-when ppl randomly rant that ascended chest they got for 6th time is not the stats they wanted while i did over 1500 fractal runs and didn’t get any chests whatsoever

Bolded is me. In every pug. Buahahahahahaha.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

I’ll admit I have a deep seething hatred for stupid smilies too, especially when people use them to make otherwise offensive/rude remarks seem cute to save their own butts; or when they use them as punctuation to emphasize their stupid comments.

“Rifle warrior is good

“Real guardians use staff

“We don’t need might

RAGE

Edit: heh, butts isn’t censored, but kittentails is. Wut Anet?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Oh so what bothers me…

Well. Apparently one thing is when pugs continually ask me if I have AR. When I do. The reason I die is because I fail to dodge. But eh.

Another thing is.. when an obvious idiot tries to be the leader.

Or when anyone calls me “sweetie” or “sweetheart”. cringe

Things I like: when random ranger pug with sword says “mind if I try soloing malrona?” And he does in like 20 seconds. When Asura join. When humans see my Asura and say “Awwwwww”.

^^

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

Oh man, I hate that too, soo much. I used to lead hardcore progression raiding in that other MMO, and there was always one or two guys who sounded like he was from the American South who’d call me that, or darling (daaaahlin’?) mid raid.

I’d always give him the terrible jobs.

maha.7902

Oh so what bothers me…

Well. Apparently one thing is when pugs continually ask me if I have AR. When I do. The reason I die is because I fail to dodge. But eh.

Things I like: when random ranger pug with sword says “mind if I try soloing malrona?” And he does in like 20 seconds. When Asura join. When humans see my Asura and say “Awwwwww”.

^^

small things that bug me

lilith repping random guilds

:D

Lilith Ajit.6173

Oh so what bothers me…

^^

small things that bug me

lilith repping random guilds

:D

Rep dis kittyaatch.

[ARES]

Posted by: UnOvertime.9076

UnOvertime.9076

I am able to cut out a lot of the complaints some people have because I simply refuse to join groups that say “ping gear” or “x amount of AP required”, AP means absolutely nothing. It does not indicate skill. It just indicates you go for achievements or have played for longer than 2 weeks.

-The lack of communication between multiple warriors in the group over which banners each has or when you figure out which banner the other warrior carries and they switch mid dungeon to the same banner you have.
-People not saying they haven’t done the path a lot of times or at all, it is ok we all have to learn at somepoint, but just say something.
-Players who rush off and leave the squishes behind in running portions of TA.
-The worst for me is: The players who go afk after completing the boss at the end of a fractal

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Smilies are my anti infraction shield! They dont always work.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

^^

Maybe your asura needs to look more ugly.

/lighthearted

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

As a infantry vet thank god the real world isnt so black and white.

I actually had a bit of trouble trying to word this inoffensively.

Fortunately, no offense taken.

I am not so .. simple where spelling stopping in middle of combat to hover over my name impresses my respect or adding smiles to chat ingame will somehow make me more willing to assist you when you are downed. You are on my team and based on preconceived theory of each members effectiveness they will get will get my help.

I didn’t say do this during combat.

Additionally, not everyone has been in the military like you and has trained to be part of a proper working team.

Though it has got me thinking… I do yell medic or ammo only in bf4 (voice chat) perhaps that discourages my friends from wanting to give me said supplies because I dont ask for it by name.

Ill be honest I think this is some hippie shallow feelgood nonsense but Ill try to type out names more often if it pleases you people.
Didnt realise people cared that much.

It’s a subtle thing. Most people wouldn’t notice. I’m not saying hit people over the head with false happiness. If calling a person by their name is being a hippie, then so be it, I guess. o_o;

There is no “in the long run”, because when we pug, 99% chances I will NEVER see them again. Pretty sure almost nobody goes out of there way to remember account names either (since you can have the same Sam but with different numbers). If they’re not going to talk back even if you asked them a question, calling them by their character name probably isn’t going to make any significant difference in the same run either.

That depends on the scale of “short term” or “long run”. In my explanation, “Short term” was described right as you are typing. It seemed agreed upon that you saved time by just saying a person’s class instead of their name. e.g. “thief, are you gonna solo?” intead of “Tachii, are you gonna solo?”

Long run in my description was throughout a single dungeon run. I do agree that most pugs you won’t run into again. That wasn’t a concern. However, I think that people who do condition themselves to have a good attitude do tend to produce more positive reactions out of people they interact with.

Now will this work for every run? Of course not. But will you have a tendency to find things working better? I think so. It’s just my opinion, of course.

Also, about objectifying, we do this all the time in real life. When we don’t know the name of people or their name is too long, we call them by their profession. Like “hey doctor/nurse/teacher/professor, etc”. Don’t think of that as objectifying people, it’s just easier to do so. Just like in real life, if it’s too difficult to pronounce, we tend to not call them anything so we won’t offend them. The same can be applied here, we don’t want to mispell or horribly give them some short name (I’ve been called Oddy which reminds me of some childish or mentally compromised person).

We do know the person’s name, however… since you can see it as soon as they join your party. While it’s understandable that some people might dislike seeing their name shortened, in my mind I’d say that there are less people who would expect you to type out their full name than people who’d prefer you call them by their name than the class they’re playing.

I don’t think mispronunciation is a factor since you’re just speaking through text.

Regarding profession, there is a certain honor at being called doctor, professor, etc. Those titles are earned.

tl;dr, please don’t be offended just because we call you by your class.

It’s just a peeve of mine. I understand that some people don’t mean ill will by it. It just feels… like the person doesn’t care enough about their team to do something small like see what a person’s name is.

You stole the words right from my weary brain. Am I supposed to be impressed or flattered by someone that types a few silly faces while talking to me? :P <— see, now the sentence is much more polite!
:)

Oh, I agree that smilies aren’t supposed to be tossed onto statements to “hide” what you’re really saying with a statement. I’m not a proponent of putting a smilie behind every sentence you say to your party. However, using a smilie for what it was originally supposed to be for would be perfectly acceptable, in my mind. That is to help clarify your intentions because text can’t convey tonal meaning.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

deSade, your story about AC I can really relate to. All of the details you emphasized are things that go through my mind too. Ugh, I can only imagine how much of an kitten that person was…

Lilith Ajit.6173

^^

/lighthearted

Impossibru!

[ARES]

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Oh, I didn’t know deSade doesn’t like smilies…

#brokenheart2014

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

1. People that refuse to cooperate, listen, and work together.
2. People that don’t communicate.
3. People that don’t listen to me because “I don’t have enough AP”.

Biggest problem by far is:
4. People that insta-kick my ranger because she has “Bowbear” as her last name. Come on, that’s a very obvious joke.

Tachii.3506

^^

/lighthearted

Impossibru!

D’awwwww so sweet.

deSade.9437

deSade, your story about AC I can really relate to. All of the details you emphasized are things that go through my mind too. Ugh, I can only imagine how much of an kitten that person was…

The other pug was a noob but he also started making fun of his neverending stream of random chit-chat. He wouldn’t stop. So pompous and condescending; I felt like I was in party with the president. He was called “talking machine” at one moment [by the other pug]. Lol. Twas fun.
The things going on in my mind were incredibly funny. It was also funny hearing my sarcastic remarks on ts.
I hate pugs.

Oh, I didn’t know deSade doesn’t like smilies…

#brokenheart2014

I still fancy you, Lucas. Fear not. You can use dis to show your love.

Lucas.9157

I still fancy you, Lucas. Fear not. You can use dis to show your love.

Oh.

/15cutecharrs

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Still camps air.

Attachments:

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Wicked Rin.1972

Wicked Rin.1972

-Staff guardians that use their staff to pull and continues to use it to chip down the mobs in the stack. I say chip because the damage is weak!
-Guardians that spam their light fields even though their is an elementalist in the party.
-Ugly looking charrs that join the party, they’ll all ugly unless in the mad king outfit.
-Mesmers that never use feedback or timewarp.
-Necromancers that fear mobs out of the stack and ruins it.
-Any professions that use their knockback skills just because it’s off cool down and makes everyone else run toward the target again. Why does it always happen when their defiance is gone? WHY?!?
-People that don’t answer questions when they’re being asked directly.
-People that refuse to ask for help and continues to run around lost in the dungeon until they get upset then leaves…

maha.7902

You have mesmers who don’t use feedback? I’m pretty sure 99% of pug mesmers just have it glued to their bar and drop it on every fight.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

You have mesmers who don’t use feedback? I’m pretty sure 99% of pug mesmers just have it glued to their bar and drop it on every fight.

chaos armor OP

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

snip

:)

That bothers me as well (but to be fair, I don’t get that many smilies in PUGs. Thankfully. Just the usual indifferent silences).

(edited by xallever.1874)

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

That spot is immune to the rock AoEs. It means even if the pug team is all running PVT armor they will still get the job done since the bosses’ damage alone is negligible. I don’t mind the FGS stacking spots but I wouldn’t push pugs for that spot since I wouldn’t know if their DPS is enough before the rock AoEs starts to fall.

Grast hangs out in the southeast corner anyway so it’s no problem. Cakewalk even if you aren’t FGSing. (stability could be nice though… I told you guard. I told you ;_; )

edit: errr. northeast? anyway. the spot that isn’t pillar.

(edited by RemiRome.8495)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

-
-People that don’t answer questions when they’re being asked directly.

Oh god yes, so much this. Happens surprisingly often. Lots of people seem to be idly chatting with their guildies and friends during runs, and ever so often they accidentally say something in party chat then go ‘oops’.

A lot of these minor annoyances listed here are things we need to spread throughout the community though. I recently switched to a Scepter/x Ele build just for the hell of it, not knowing that I was expected to stack might.

Most people have a good grasp of banner co-ordination, not using knockbacks unnecessarily and so on, but little things like how combo fields work need to be explained to the average player.

deSade.9437

-Guardians that spam their light fields even though their is an elementalist in the party.

Hey, that’s me.
HAI DAD, I’M ON TV!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I just can’t stop using gs 4. I’m such a scrub. I just… I like… you know, that cute simbol… it looks so goooood.

In other news, xallever is officially on my black list of smilies spammers.
When I conquer the world, you’ll have a particularly painful treatment.
Nah, jk, can’t.
You’ll just be one of the countless enslaved hoomans.
About playhowiwants, well… terminate.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Hey, that’s me.
HAI DAD, I’M ON TV!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I just can’t stop using gs 4. I’m such a scrub. I just… I like… you know, that cute simbol… it looks so goooood.

In other news, xallever is officially on my black list of smilies spammers.
When I conquer the world, you’ll have a particularly painful treatment.
Nah, jk, can’t.
You’ll just be one of the countless enslaved hoomans.
About playhowiwants, well… terminate.

Enslaved hoomans? Never! Pewma man will stop you and your nefarious schemes!!

(+37 points if anyone gets the reference)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

“Lol, thieves are useless in dungeons” Luckly those days are over for the most part.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

I really don’t give two kittens about what the players in my party are running.
Bearbow or necromancer is fine for me, I wont kick someone for playing what he likes.
What bothers me however are those players that simply lie about the viability of their build when it comes to dealing damage. Bearbow wont deal “decent damage” the same goes for riflewarrior, conditionmancer or burnguard.
Just say you like the playstyle, don’t spread lies to justify your build.

RIP game 2012-2014

pdavis.8031

I really don’t give two kittens about what the players in my party are running.
Bearbow or necromancer is fine for me, I wont kick someone for playing what he likes.
What bothers me however are those players that simply lie about the viability of their build when it comes to dealing damage. Bearbow wont deal “decent damage” the same goes for riflewarrior, conditionmancer or burnguard.
Just say you like the playstyle, don’t spread lies to justify your build.

I agree, however I would point out that some builds do have their uses, but are generally situational, or for other game modes. For example condition necro can do really well in pvp or wvwvw roaming or solo pve. Not so much in a group with overriding conditions. That doesnt mean they arent viable, just not viable in certain settings. Also, as a side note, optimal and viable are to very different things. My valk axe/axe warrior is by no means optimal, but is very useful in groups of mobs.

recognize my command!”

Tachii.3506

Inb4 ur not a zerk

Anyway the situation here is dungeons, so we’re just talking about builds in dungeons. There’s little relevance to say its viable for other settings when we’re exclusively talking about builds in dungeons for dungeons.

On slightly off-topic, coming from a long time thief player, I find warrrior to have massive HP already. Added to that is being a heavy armor class, 7%more HP from power trait, and/or 4 in Tactics that will still maintain party DPS while giving even more HP. Why do you need even more HP going valkyrie?

pdavis.8031

@tachii

Ill say it once, to keep thread from being derailed completely and let it lie there. I run valkyrie because I mainly solo pve. I found the extra hp to be very helpful when soloing champs, and large groups of mobs. It doesn’t matter if I don’t deal maximum possible damage, because going solo I can take my time. Having a few thousand extra hp just means I can faceroll that much longer, and enjoy the fight, rather than burn through it.

In a dungeon group I can go 6 in tactics, run banners, have an even more massive hp pool, and be more “tanky”, if you will. Its also useful against lots of conditions that can be applied in certain dungeons if there isn’t much condition cleansing available. (This IS PUGs we are talking about….)

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

What bugs me recently is PUG gets better and better these days. Sometimes they even scout me for their daily dungeon runs.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

People who have fall damage reduction traits in dungeons. There’s just no excuse now that trait switching is accessible anytime and anywhere.

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

People who have fall damage reduction traits in dungeons. There’s just no excuse now that trait switching is accessible anytime and anywhere.

Let’s skip straight to the abominations… Lol, nope.

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Let’s skip straight to the abominations… Lol, nope.

Hey, I just had it in that fractal because I was divebombing Shurakk a few hours ago and forgot to change it. :/

Edit: I just realised that it wasn’t you who wrote that post. Shame on me.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

I have an issue with new guys who don’t say they’re new. This isn’t just some kind of oppressive elitism, either. I form the group with the LFG title “All welcome”, and when all players arrive, I ask if anyone is new to the dungeon or doesn’t know what to do, or needs anything to be explained.

Of course, we’ll all sit there for about 3 solid minutes before someone manages a “yes”. But, often times, there will be no response. So, I assume everyone has done the dungeon or knows what to do. The moment we get to a gimmicky boss, the group wipes 3 times in a row before someone says “lol I don’t no wut to do here lol”. Its like, why didn’t you say something in the first place? Why did I have to watch your butt get destroyed three times before you thought it might be prudent to bring up your lack of knowledge on the matter?

I actually do understand what you mean. I sometimes pug and ask the same thing, “is this their first time”. And like you said, it’s normally not answered straight away. And you’ll be lucky to get one or two to answer. I wouldn’t say oppressive elitism. The issue is the fact that, they treat this as if they are in the library – staying quiet. The silent killer is silence. This is an MMO, where communication is necessary. I try to encourage them to talk, to communicate. From my own personal experience, if I can get along with the person who opened the dung, then a satisfying run is had. But when there is silence – expect a very painful ride.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

I would argue the worst part of any public group are the people of all kinds who refuse to talk, are the worst. Its pretty interesting that I get this on both sides of the level bar. sometimes I see newbies who don’t know how answer when asked “hey, what healing skill do you use”, and sometimes I see so called ‘pros’ with dungeon titles refuse to speak when asked ‘why are we in a corner again?’

I also get peeved at the people who have blind expectations, I.E the less than sane groups who believe they should be able to throw around any stats/skills/weapons randomly and play the same every time, as well as the people who played a dungeon 10 minutes ago, and want to do the exact same run step for step.

those are my peeves anyway

P.S. And jeesh pulse, “abominations”. Sure fall damage reducing is useless in virtually -every- game, but “abominations” is seriously too harsh. Learn what your words mean before you use them

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Learn what your words mean before you use them

Abominations

VideoGamermike.5813

Learn what your words mean before you use them

Abominations

Ok, I applaud, that made me laugh, 10/10 xD

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I sometimes pug and ask the same thing, “is this their first time”. And like you said, it’s normally not answered straight away.

I have to admit I often don’t know how to answer this kind of question. I’ve done a ton of dungeons with my friends / ex-guildies, finished every dungeon path at least twice, and have a solid understanding of most paths and their mechanics. But since the people I mostly have run with so far hardly ever skip or stack and range most bosses (successfully, with a colourful mix of builds and equipment), I have next to no knowledge of pug tactics. Am I “new” to the dungeon by your definition or not?

VideoGamermike.5813

I sometimes pug and ask the same thing, “is this their first time”. And like you said, it’s normally not answered straight away.

I have to admit I often don’t know how to answer this kind of question. I’ve done a ton of dungeons with my friends / ex-guildies, finished every dungeon path at least twice, and have a solid understanding of most paths and their mechanics. But since the people I mostly have run with so far hardly ever skip or stack and range most bosses (successfully, with a colourful mix of builds and equipment), I have next to no knowledge of pug tactics. Am I “new” to the dungeon by your definition or not?

I would say you’re more a pro than people who claim the be “pro’s” publicly. you have excellent practice in critical thinking, adapting, and teamwork, as well as strategy and planning on an immediate time scale. That puts you far ahead of even most dungeon experienced players.

Lucas.9157

There are several often completely different ways to complete a dungeon. Record runs, speed runs, casual organized runs, pug tactics, non-stacking/skipping runs, yolo mode, etc.

If you don’t know the pug tactics but know the encounters, you’ll probably master the official safe way of pugs after 1-2 runs. Be advised most pugs stack and skip, so advertise your own group if you want to do otherwise.

maha.7902

Pug tactics are trash, so I’d say you become experienced when you well and truly learn a dungeon path’s mechanics.

Take Arah path 3 for example:

We take a thief to the gate where the four elites spawn, 4 people pick path, one holds, when the last arrives they lock in the path, thief pops shadow refuge, we skip cutscene then run through the gate. Pugs will clear the entire room, lock the path, LoS the elites (you don’t even need to LoS them) then run through.

For the first pair of bosses, you stack might, aggro from a sneaky little LoS spot (relevant video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzILYccc_NM) to pull them together so you can cleave. Guardian puts up reflect so the hunter can’t immobilise anyone, cleanses any immobilise people get. You obviously dodge the crush. Pugs sometimes will pull the hunter/crusher all the way out in to the first room, respawning all four of the elites for no reason.

For the next boss (pre-patch), he life sucks, throws gunk, creates symbols and detonates his symbols for damage and knockdown. You can sit on him, chain reflects for the gunk, dodge the suck and just dodge the symbol detonation. Pugs would use an AFK range spot and pew-pew.

Lupicus, well this is too long to go in to, people think multiple grubs should force a restart, people can’t dodge grubs, people range it, people don’t know to use reflect, people use weak weapon sets (a sw/sh + axe/axe warrior for example isnt going to have the amount of blocks and evades built in to their weapons as an axe/sw + gs warrior), and so forth. In our organised groups, we dodge kicks, dodge grubs, stability the phase 1 > 2 grub, reflect phase 2, DPS through phase 3 making sure to stay close so he doesn’t bubble, reflect spray.

Pre-patch, people thought you needed multiple people to kite wraiths in the wraithlord ritual. We used one. Pugs always LoS’d him for absolutely no reason (well one pug told me its so you “don’t fall off” and I would fight him in the middle because there was no reason to LoS.

So what I’m trying to say – Pugs copy what they think are “the tactics”. They don’t know why they should do it that way, they sometimes don’t even know how to perform the pug tactic, but they do it anyway. You become experienced at a dungeon when you actually learn the mechanics, how they work and through that, either devise a solution yourself or look up the “meta” solution. If you tried to figure it out yourself and your idea was in line with the “meta” solution, then basically, you understand the encounter. So if I were to be perfectly blunt – I’d say you may just be inexperienced – but 99% of players are anyway. See, ranging bosses promotes simply avoiding them, not directly learning the mechanics which you have to in melee in order to survive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXr0S3Cdfo open world solo to offer an example). Pugs honestly have no idea why they’re even stacking half the time, you don’t even need to do it mostly.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

P.S. And jeesh pulse, “abominations”. Sure fall damage reducing is useless in virtually -every- game, but “abominations” is seriously too harsh. Learn what your words mean before you use them

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to some of the old Arah skips where you could jump straight to the risen Abominations and FDRs would make it easier to do without dying…

Oh kitten. I just broke my own rule.

Don’t feed the Mike

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

But when there is silence – expect a very painful ride.

QFT

Ran CoF p2 with PuGs yesterday, and no one would coordinate the Acolyte kills on the Eternal Flame… I try to tell them to sync the kills – silence. Then one of the PuGs starts killing them 1-by-1, leading to there being at least 1 spawned for a good chunk of the fight. There wasn’t even a DPS issue… If we had coordinated the Acolytes, the Flame would have probably gone down in 1 go…

Granted, we still got it done, but it took a lot longer than it should have

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The guy that says he will run lava in CoF p2 and dies every time.

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

The guy that says he will run lava in CoF p2 and dies every time.

I hate it when everyone just ports back without confirming who is going to do the lava part. More than once I have seen all 5 people port back only to have all 5 of us return to make the run as a group.