"Stacking". Is it a fun mechanic?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Bloody Zac.8960

Bloody Zac.8960

So, I’m just curious on what the consensus is with “stacking” during dungeon runs. I mainly run Ascalonian Catacombs, and in every group I run with, anytime we get into a boss fight the leader will yell, “Stack here!”.

Then, the entire group scrunches up into this corner, and then you mash your weapon keys until the boss is dead. From what I understand, it glitches some bosses to where they can’t use their full skill set (I could be wrong, and maybe there’s another underlying reason that I just don’t know). I see this specifically with Kohler, Colossus Rumblus, the ghost fight as you’re setting up the traps, and with the Spider.

Personally, I hate this mechanic. Getting into a corner and mashing my 4 key isn’t exactly a fun time. But I’m curious, do people enjoy this? As I haven’t ventured out into the other dungeons, is “stacking” just as prevalent there as in AC?

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Take a look at the dungeon FAQ, linked at the top of this forum.

Posted by: Bartosz.2013

Bartosz.2013

Dunno how many times i did this paths, even without stack it is boring for me now, and i like stacking cause i can save time

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Stacking is not a mechanic.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Stacking is a tactic.

Also… BINGO!

inb4emanuel hue hue

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Complains about stacking, doesn’t understand why people stack

Bloody Zac.8960

Hmmm. Sounds like this is a legit tactic then. Also sounds like Guild Wars 2 is not the game for me then.

Anyways, thanks for the quick replies, guys!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

so you stacked in a corner and didnt even think to ask why?

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Bloody Zac.8960

The benefits are apparent. Most bosses get stuck trying to get to the corner, buffs/boons are easily applied, and it’s a quick way to kill your enemies. I understand why it works.

It’s just that in my head, when I think of a dungeon run, standing in a corner mashing my skill keys doesn’t seem like much fun.

Edit: From what I understand (after reading the Dungeon FAQ, thanks to @maxinion) stacking doesn’t seem to work in Fractals. Maybe I’ll give those a go.

(edited by Bloody Zac.8960)

Lindbur.2537

Stacking does work in some fractals.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

The benefits are apparent. Most bosses get stuck trying to get to the corner, buffs/boons are easily applied, and it’s a quick way to kill your enemies. I understand why it works.

You really need to venture out of AC. Most bosses get stuck ? When you only do AC most bosses is like what spider queen, and the two commonly done last bosses?

Most pugs don’t understand why people stack, or what happens when kittens hit the fan, they just do it because herd mentality and that is why we get so, so many “OMG nurf stackin/stackin r xploit/zurkur leetist kic me 4 not stackin” threads

Clumsy.6257

It’s just that in my head, when I think of a dungeon run, standing in a corner mashing my skill keys doesn’t seem like much fun.

Edit: From what I understand (after reading the Dungeon FAQ, thanks to @maxinion) stacking doesn’t seem to work in Fractals. Maybe I’ll give those a go.

Your problem is that your thinking of dungeons as epic experiences. They are on your first run. After run #4527 they no longer feel epic and are quite boring. Why would I intentionally increase the time required if I’m repeatedly doing something that I find boring?

Bloody Zac.8960

Stacking does work in some fractals.

Well, hopefully it’s not as prevalent as “every single encounter”

I had no idea this was such a hot topic (although I suppose that’s what I get for not checking out the Forum Stickies before I posted)

Not trying to rock the boat, I just wasn’t sure if it was some new “exploit” (I know now that it’s not) that was just discovered. According to that FAQ, it’s been going on since GW1.

That’s fine, and to each his own. I’ll see how the Fractals are.

Bloody Zac.8960

Your problem is that your thinking of dungeons as epic experiences. They are on your first run. After run #4527 they no longer feel epic and are quite boring. Why would I intentionally increase the time required if I’m repeatedly doing something that I find boring?

I suppose that’s true. My only thought would be, “Why are you doing something that is boring you in the first place?”

But, I do see your point. Eventually you just want to get your rewards and get out. Makes sense.

Clumsy.6257

I suppose that’s true. My only thought would be, “Why are you doing something that is boring you in the first place?”

But, I do see your point. Eventually you just want to get your rewards and get out. Makes sense.

Its much easier to farm gold by running dungeons than it is by killing world bosses.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I mainly run Ascalonian Catacombs

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Bloody Zac.8960

Hey you can’t blame me, I want those fancy weapons that glow in the dark!

Seriously though, if a mod wants to shut this thread down, that’d be cool. I got my answer.

Saint.5647

Then this train must be derailed

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Stacking in dungeons
These noobs they will not heal
Fear mobs out of corners is what i do
Confusion is epic deeps

There’s some idiot beside me
That pulls the Spider Queen to the corner
They’re Exploiting
I’m confusing
This lack of crowd-control I fear is never-ending
Controlling
I seem
To find myself again in a corner
The walls(of reflection) are closing in
Without a sense of fun
I’m convinced that this is just too much exploiting to take
I’ve felt this way before
So offended

My first attempt at GW2 Karaoke.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Clumsy.6257

Just found this on the front page of memegenerator but I think this fits the “I only run AC” category of players perfectly. [img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/51056055.jpg[/img]

edit: wtf i thought [img][/img] were the image tags?

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

Saint.5647

Stacking in dungeons
These noobs they will not heal
Fear mobs out of corners is what i do
Confusion is epic deeps

There’s some idiot beside me
That pulls the Spider Queen to the corner
They’re Exploiting
I’m confusing
This lack of crowd-control I fear is never-ending
Controlling
I seem
To find myself again in a corner
The walls(of reflection) are closing in
Without a sense of fun
I’m convinced that this is just too much exploiting to take
I’ve felt this way before
So offended

My first attempt at GW2 Karaoke.

It’s wonderful +1 before they became the permanent soundtrack to transformers.

@Clumsy: Yeah but at least the OP was polite and a reasonable human being. Most of the people with complaints come in here like an enraged, blindfolded, fat kid swinging for a Piñata to smash so they can get their fix of candy.

Everyone tries to tell them there are no Piñatas here and that if they removed their blindfolds, they could see that themselves.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Lindbur.2537

Personally I’m glad that you didn’t come in here making a HUGE fuss over stacking. I like you better already!

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’
This is a pancake. It is plain and boring.

’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’
’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’
’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’
This is a pancake stack. It has much more depth. Plus you can eat several at the same time. Plus you can put chocolate or syrup on top.

And this is why people stack. To get better deeps (short for DPS), cleave and share boons.

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

Don’t know much about gw2
That’s why I go to forum
My only class is necro full condition
N’ I get kicked everytime
‘Course Elitist can’t along with me
I got very good idea
And I will tell everyone
Hopin anet adopts it
I’m a dungeon noob, I’m a
Dungeon noob
Elitists need to be banned from gw2
Because they have no fun
I’m a Dungeon noob, I’m a
Dungeon noob

:D

We should make a new dungeon forum game, called guess the song xD

RIP game 2012-2014

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I cant say Im 100% sure but I would presume it also lessens the likely hood of groups getting downed. but then again crap groups will get downed eventually.

It is my experience that quite a few players have the reflexes of rock and couldnt walk out of red circles even if auto run is on much less dodge.

Im surprised you didnt say anything about demands to be be berserker.

Waiiiitttt a seconddddd…

I love the Colossus and the Grawl fractals. In fact the only fractal I’m not a huge fan of is the Aquatic fractal, because it is quite boring.

awfully suspicious

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Bloody Zac.8960

I cant say Im 100% sure but I would presume it also lessens the likely hood of groups getting downed. but then again crap groups will get downed eventually.

It is my experience that quite a few players have the reflexes of rock and couldnt walk out of red circles even if auto run is on much less dodge.

Im surprised you didnt say anything about demands to be be berserker.

Waiiiitttt a seconddddd…

I love the Colossus and the Grawl fractals. In fact the only fractal I’m not a huge fan of is the Aquatic fractal, because it is quite boring.

awfully suspicious

Oh man. You do your research! Haha.

I played quite a bit a little over a year ago, and got my guardian up to 80 primarily just from PvE world content. The fractals had just launched, and the guild that I was in ran a few.

Like I mentioned above, I’m coming back to GW2 after a long hiatus, and spending most of my time running dungeons. I didn’t run into “stacking” when I first played (probably because I only ran around with guildies), which prompted this line of questioning.

I promise, this isn’t some elaborate scam haha.

But, I get it now. It’s all about time/reward. Not saying I like it, but I’ll get used to it.

Saint.5647

If troll, most polite troll.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

DonQuack.9025

We cool <3

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

1. Name a boss that actually get stuck.

2. You don’t need to be in corner to share boon, everyone just need to be within close proximity of each other (within 300 range is ideal, most boon won’t apply beyond 600 range), also be able to Resurrect each other more quickly, instead of going to the other side of screen to reach someone downed.

3. Melee weapon has better damage per second (higher attack coefficient) compare to range weapons and nearly all of melee weapons hit multi-target.

4. When you use melee weapon, you automatically “STACK”. (some folks just can’t comprehend this part)

Corner stacking is a tactic that serves two additional purpose:

1. line of sight, mobs come to you when they can’t see you. cleave them down at the same time instead of taking care of first one then run to the second one and third one….you get the picture.

2. Close range attacks. For warrior, they can connect all their whirlwind attack hits while stacking near some kind of physical object/boundary. The famous FGS rush can only work while at corner/wall/somekind of obstruction. Guardian’s utility such as wall of reflection will be able to cover everyone that are closed together

In some occasion, you want to fight the mob/boss on a side of room so you don’t aggro additional mob.

(edited by rainynoble.6531)

Bloody Zac.8960

2. You don’t need to be in corner to share boon, everyone just need to be within close proximity of each other (within 300 range is ideal, most boon won’t apply beyond 600 range), also be able to Resurrect each other more quickly, instead of going to the other side of screen to reach someone downed.

3. Melee weapon has better damage per second (higher attack coefficient) compare to range weapons and nearly all of melee weapons hit multi-target.

4. When you use melee weapon, you automatically “STACK”. (some folks just can’t comprehend this part)

Corner stacking is a tactic that serves two additional purpose:

1. line of sight, mobs come to you when they can’t see you. cleave them down at the same time instead of taking care of first one then run to the second one and third one….you get the picture.

2. Close range attacks. For warrior, they can connect all their whirlwind attack hits while stacking near some kind of physical object/boundary. The famous FGS rush can only work while at corner/wall/somekind of obstruction. Guardian’s utility such as wall of reflection will be able to cover everyone that are closed together

In some occasion, you want to fight the mob/boss on a side of room so you don’t aggro additional mob.

Got it, buddy

No need to keep up the offensive, your team already won.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU&feature=kp

but on a serious note, props to OP for listening! <3

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Simin at times and the champ before the nightmare tree in TA UP are two that come to my mind.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Actually more than just Simin in P4 get stuck easily. Balthazar and Lyssa do too. It’s sad -.-

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Yay another kitten stacking thread!!!

If you don’t want to stack as stated over 1000 times in the forums follow the following steps,

Don’t run with Pugs.

Or

1) open the LFG tool
2) Advertise for a party
-AC P3 no stacking Condi Necros and Bear Bows welcome
3) wipe 25 times on Spider Queen
4) GG

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Yay another kitten stacking thread!!!

If you don’t want to stack as stated over 1000 times in the forums follow the following steps,

snip——-

You may want to read the rest of the thread, because at the moment it looks like you are getting annoyed at somebody for not reading and then making it perfectly obvious that you have not read this thread yourself. Yeah, I know this comes up a lot, but this one plays out differently and by not reading yourself you come across as a little hypocritical.

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Emanuel, here, have all my cakes.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Good guy OP, being the complete opposite of videogamermike.

Nova [rT]

Saint.5647

Before there was videogamermike, there was A T S E

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

He who shall not be named is gone, and we shall never speak of him again.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Warriors have 15k health per second regeneration, you didn’t know?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

The “problem”(and i don’t see any problem on it actually) is…
You do your first run in your “IPHIW” build-> cool
Play again for “dem l00tz” -> ok
Play again with other class -> fun
Play with all 8 classes -> L2Dodge.
Then u finish in 5min what you wouldve taken 20mins…now the problem is that u can’t go back, you HAVE, U FEEL, U CRAVE, for efficiency and speed.
Thus, you accept our beloved META as your personal saviour and convert to the “elitist jerk” religion and be happy… and rich

Attachments:

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

It’s terrible gameplay, imo.
Stacking favors goldgain, but who in their right minds would want a game which is designed for entertainment less enjoyable to play so that they can make more virtual cash?
You’re literally skipping the fun content to make more gold, while in many cases forcing the group to do the same. If you don’t enjoy the content, why the hell are you playing it in the first place?

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

DonQuack.9025

Stacking favors goldgain, but who in their right minds would want a game which is designed for entertainment less enjoyable to play so that they can make more virtual cash?
You’re literally skipping the fun content to make more gold, while in many cases forcing the group to do the same. If you don’t enjoy the content, why the hell are you playing it in the first place?

What makes you think we havent done it without stacking/dodging/solo/duo/trio/quatro/mostly naked/naked/clerics/knights/sin etc?

Also stacking favors gold gain..in the same way playing the game does.

Forcing the group? Darn I idnt know I had mind control powers and MADE them press join group.. Professor Xavier was an elitist goldmaker!

alas i fear i have been trolled

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I do enjoy the content. However, when I play my ele, I also do enjoy providing boons and might to my whole party. Sadly, those have the miserable range of …. 300? Not sure completely, and if you’re a few steps away from me you get nothing.

As an Altruistic Healing guardian, I also do enjoy when I provide perma protection to my allies. Sadly, this doesn’t work if you’re not stacked on me or in the symbol.

As a thief, I rarely stack since I’m glasscannon backstab build and I like big numbers on my screen but you get the idea.

Skipping the fun/challenging content in my opinion would more likely be the trash mobs skips rather than stacking.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

DonQuack.9025

I think I have discovered something about PHIW’s. Nothing is ever their fault.

Lindbur.2537

Because we use said content as a stepping stone to further goals/aspirations/successes that are more fun? Or maybe you’re making an unsupported generalisation that all of us don’t enjoy doing dungeons quickly? Sheesh.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Actually more than just Simin in P4 get stuck easily. Balthazar and Lyssa do too. It’s sad -.-

Kaisar usually debugs after 75% though and Farnaz… Yeah. He asked for bosses bugged by luring them into a corner and you don’t do that with those two.
I’m just glad that you have to “force” those bosses to get stuck so that you still can fight them normally.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Because we use said content as a stepping stone to further goals/aspirations/successes that are more fun? Or maybe you’re making an unsupported generalisation that all of us don’t enjoy doing dungeons quickly? Sheesh.

I made a generalization that most people don’t enjoy stacking at all, yes.
Frankly, unless you enjoy WvW, what more is there besides dungeons? Fractals?
Pretty much the same kind of gameplay to me, slightly different at the higher levels.

Perhaps I’m a minority though.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

DonQuack.9025

If you are on the forums you are the minority

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

why are you calling this a mechanic, it’s an exploit of the AI clumsiness.