The Blog post that killed CoF path 1

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Incase you didn’t read Colins post on the Official website here is the part i’m talking about.
Dungeon Complete Bonus Rewards
In order to make playing all of our unique dungeons more rewarding, we’ll give you a bonus gold reward for each dungeon path you complete each day. Coins will be removed from the current bosses (replaced by the champion reward box listed above) to coincide with this bonus payout for completing each path. Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.
To encourage players to participate in a wider array of dungeon content, we’ve designed the system so if you complete the same dungeon path twice in one day, you’ll receive the normal reward for completion, but won’t receive the bonus gold reward again during that day.
From this it looks like there will be no point in spending time doing cof more than once a day instead of running other dungeons. If by normal reward he means the end chest that give the gold, tokens, and experience than cof is not worth it to just get 20 silver each time. Personally i think this is good if they are able to really balance the rewards for much harder/longer dungeons so no matter what path you do your time:gold ratio is the same. Share your thoughts on this change and also how much do you think the CoF path 1 bonus gold is going to be.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

rest in peace my loyal gold farming slaves

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Well, when combined with:

We want to remove the choice players are currently being forced to make on their gear: “Do I go with better stats, or better loot?” This isn’t in the spirit of cooperation that Guild Wars 2 is all about. As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat that improved the odds of rare drops for all your characters.

… I forsee the death of the omnom bar.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

4 words:

Better late than never.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Uther Deathhand.1570

Well, when combined with:

We want to remove the choice players are currently being forced to make on their gear: “Do I go with better stats, or better loot?” This isn’t in the spirit of cooperation that Guild Wars 2 is all about. As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat that improved the odds of rare drops for all your characters.

… I forsee the death of the omnom bar.

Well actually colin said that there was still going to be magic find consumables but im not sure if they are going to be made in to there own catagory. Also i think omnom bars are going to die anyway because the whole point of them is that you get 40% more gold from mobs which made a sizable difference in dungeons because of the bosses. Now all the gold is being moved to chests which are not affected by gold find.

Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

I hope now that they’ve tried to regulate CoF path 1, prices will drop bit by bit

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

To think I just sold like 60 molten cores.

Godkitten it.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I hope now that they’ve tried to regulate CoF path 1, prices will drop bit by bit

considering cof1 is possibly not the main way of income.

Its boring and requires time.

Look at people in TP section discussing if the should move their 4000 gold stacks of a single item…..
and stuff like that.

Flipping is way more impacting.

Farewell cof1
Hello Coe1-2-3

all is good if they keep some way to have money :/ for non flippers.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Look at people in TP section discussing if the should move their 4000 gold stacks of a single item…..
and stuff like that.

Farewell cof1
Hello Coe1-2-3

If everyone migrates to CoE… TIME TO SELL ALL YOUR CHARGED CORES/LODESTONES! If they become as cheap as molten, I would be quite happy.

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

i think it’s great that they’re changing dungeon rewards to be more um rewarding, i just hope that gw2lfg doesn’t start looking like “LF2M ZERK WARR COE PING” etc

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

i think it’s great that they’re changing dungeon rewards to be more um rewarding, i just hope that gw2lfg doesn’t start looking like “LF2M ZERK WARR COE PING” etc

Wishful thinking

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.

Curious as to what the metrics for determining “difficulty” and “length” will be… And along those lines, which will be the more heavily weighted.

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

well actually some peeps already done that for months, anyway i’m happy i haven’t spent my gold to buy charged lodestones if their price will crash real hard in teh near future

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It will always be LF Zerker warrior regardless of what dungeon is done.

The best classes don’t change by dungeon. Guardians and warriors are still supreme everywhere in PvE.

People are just stupid and think that killing CoF will remove speed clears and farm runs.

Posted by: ZBeeblebrox.4928

ZBeeblebrox.4928

4 words:

Better late than never.

So much this. About time, Anet. Glad this is finally happening.

Posted by: ZBeeblebrox.4928

ZBeeblebrox.4928

Godkitten it.

Lol, I’ve been saving mine for ages. I knew that the CoF gold wonderland couldn’t last forever.

Uther Deathhand.1570

and stuff like that.

Farewell cof1
Hello Coe1-2-3

If everyone migrates to CoE… TIME TO SELL ALL YOUR CHARGED CORES/LODESTONES! If they become as cheap as molten, I would be quite happy.

The thing is that people will not be migrating from CoF to CoE because these changes are universal so there will not really be any point in Farming a specific dungeon for hours on end. So charged will never go as low as molten.

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

The best classes don’t change by dungeon. Guardians and warriors are still supreme everywhere in PvE.

People are just stupid and think that killing CoF will remove speed clears and farm runs.

Why do people keep saying guardians? They really aren’t that amazing. Their only amazing quality is that they can maintain aiges for the players that rarely get hit and projectile wall on the few bosses that rely on projectiles. They don’t have that much damage and they need to swap to staff to generate good might stacks. And to all the pure tank guards… why? I’ve had more useful condition rangers in my groups then I’ve had tank guardians. At least when I have a ranger in my group all the annoying particle effects from the guard doesn’t manage to blind me and make the boss completely cloaked in shiny blue crap while being surrounded by more shiny blue crap.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Godkitten it.

Lol, I’ve been saving mine for ages. I knew that the CoF gold wonderland couldn’t last forever.

dont want to delude you but will pass lot of time before things changes…
And when it will there will be already a huge supply of molten stuff that will require time to be absorbed by the market

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

The thing is that people will not be migrating from CoF to CoE because these changes are universal so there will not really be any point in Farming a specific dungeon for hours on end. So charged will never go as low as molten.

The reason CoF is currently farmed over CoE is the gold drops are higher average income than charged cores/lodes. CoE wouldn’t be impacted as much by changes to gold drop mechanics.

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

So, instead of running cof 1 over and over we come up with a list of dungeon paths that are quick as well and you just run them daily. I don’t see a problem with that. Granted the rewards will not be the same….

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Honestly, considering the demand on Charged Cores/Lodestones, and the fact that CoE is objectively “harder” than CoF, even if it’s still “easy” for good players, I’d hazard that a CoE 1-2-3 sweep will be the new go-to farm for the pubs hands down.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

So, instead of running cof 1 over and over we come up with a list of dungeon paths that are quick as well and you just run them daily.

A very welcomed change.

“Farming” DGs will get waaaaaaay less dull, because you won’t feel like wasting time if instead of 1 hr of CoF you do 1 hr of 3 different DGs.

About proficency, it’s way too early to tell.

On the War/Mes/Guard > all issue: it’s a encounter flaw, where bosses/DGs as whole gets “broken” by raw DPS.
For that, the only real option is a extensive update and revamp of DG mechanics (bosses, trash, gating, defiant, making CC and support needed troughout a run) to break the “Full DPS Zerk” meta – but it’s not easy task so i wouldn’t expect it to happen anytime soon, considered that they’ve redone only AC so far, nothing meaningful happened in DGs since that, and it haven’t changed anything anyway.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Proxcel.2596

Proxcel.2596

we all know this is coming… thought they will do it like months ago..
well time to farm p1 as much before it got nerf

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

This is all nice in theory, but there really isn’t a history here of ArenaNet balancing rewards correctly. Either way, will be fun to shake things up and I welcome the change as it will lead to running paths that are worthwhile (hopefully no more coe/cof/ta running with a laxed interest in Arah; would be cool if suddenly Arah became one of the most gold efficient dungeons to run - i.e. add random lodes to it too!).

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I’m going to be farming the balls off of Arah path 4 after this.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

They will need to fix exploits in some of the paths prior to this or work on better detection tools to ban players that exploit paths in such a manner.

Serenity now~Insanity later

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

They will need to fix exploits in some of the paths prior to this or work on better detection tools to ban players that exploit paths in such a manner.

They would have to ban anyone that has ever completed a dungeon.

Brazil

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m pretty sure you know to which I am referring as it relates to arah. Not to say that such things don’t happen in other dungeons, but I’m focusing on ones of that realm.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Glad I didn’t stock up on Omnoms and Laureate boosters, though I do have one so I guess I’ll throw one last farewell hour of 90% gold find…

But yeah, pretty good decision overall, and it’s not so bad since we can just run something like CoE 1/2/3 CoF 1/2 Arah 3 nightly. I do hope pugs take the lessons of CoF to other dungeons (zerk über alles) and not just fold up like a tissue cause they don’t know how to speed run anything not path 1.

P.S. The kittening sour grapes on some forums (cough cough reddit) are legendary.

Retired. Too many casuals.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I’m pretty sure you know to which I am referring as it relates to arah. Not to say that such things don’t happen in other dungeons, but I’m focusing on ones of that realm.

There are a wide varieties of things considered exploits in Arah, the most common is the dreaded “trash mob skipping.” There are loopholes / exploits in all dungeons and they could be prevented by having people actually test the content before it’s released. Instead, they throw content out and allow the community to beta test it for months on end and then patch it when they see fit.

zerk über alles

We should get Jello to head the new dungeon team.

Brazil

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

If the zerker warriors go from CoF p1 to other dungeons.. and actually learn how to dodge and stuff maybe the PUG community will start realizing that zerker can work in other places and PUGs will get better overall? Wishful thinking considering what PUGs are capable of (had a reddit argument about melee being more DPS then ranged, he was 100% sure ranged was better..) .. but could happen :p

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Unfortunately now we are going to have organized groups with a rehearsed dungeon routine being the only ones making the best gold, leaving everyone else in the dust. Equipment requirement will be even more stringent, especially with ascended coming out, and anyone who isn’t a war with zerker ascended will get the shaft. A gold per path is too much imo.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

Unfortunately now we are going to have organized groups with a rehearsed dungeon routine being the only ones making the best gold, leaving everyone else in the dust. Equipment requirement will be even more stringent, especially with ascended coming out, and anyone who isn’t a war with zerker ascended will get the shaft. A gold per path is too much imo.

Soo people who actually try and learn the path and spend more time on strategies/ organizing their build to work as a team will get better rewards then random PUGS who just roll in with random builds in dungeons? And this is a problem?

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Anet wont the long hard paths rewarding enough… Lets say arah P4 takes 1,5 hours and is hard and grants you like… 1 gold every run (Maximum, remember its Anet) And CoF P1 grants you 10 silver. Cof take like 10 minutes, so in 1,5 hours (90 minutes) that will be 90 silver. Aswell as normal loot which will probably be the same.

that means only 10 silver less from running CoF, but since it is so much easier and none have problems with it like arah, people will still run CoF.

just pure speculation on my part, but i highly doubt they will make the rewards that much better for arah… But i hope they do

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

They did give one gold per completion for the Aetherblade Retreat, so that kinda sets the bar, at least for the sake of discussion/speculation. I expect one gold to be the upper limit, reserved only for Arah p4 and other long paths like SE path 2, perhaps even TA F/U assuming the tree doesn’t revert to its former status. Of course I doubt they’ll use speedclear groups like DnT, SOLO, Define etc to set the bar, which means organized groups who can clear these dungeons half as fast as pug groups are finally going to get rewarded for their skill and effort.

Or, they could make the reward dynamic. Start rewarding 10 silver at 5 minutes and climb upwards like a reverse timer, capping out at 1G after an hour, something like that. If the reward is per account per day, there might be some optimal timing for completion. Say you get to the boss, it might be worth taking 5 for a smoke break then finishing out. Speculating is fun.

Retired. Too many casuals.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Here come the Path 4 speedclear record videos.

Brazil

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Why do people keep saying guardians? They really aren’t that amazing. Their only amazing quality is that they can maintain aiges for the players that rarely get hit and projectile wall on the few bosses that rely on projectiles. They don’t have that much damage and they need to swap to staff to generate good might stacks. And to all the pure tank guards… why? I’ve had more useful condition rangers in my groups then I’ve had tank guardians. At least when I have a ranger in my group all the annoying particle effects from the guard doesn’t manage to blind me and make the boss completely cloaked in shiny blue crap while being surrounded by more shiny blue crap.

Berseker guardians are the class that enables warriors the best. Sorry if you can’t see that, but a fractal 48 without guardian wall/shield is a whole different experience.

Their damage is not bad, not warrior level, but upper middle, but their utility and ability to let people take risks they normally wouldn’t take makes them one of the best classes in the game.

Player Character.9467

Here come the Path 4 speedclear record videos.

kitten it brazil be quiet, let them set the difficulty reward super high on something BEFORE openly speed clearing it :P

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Or, they could make the reward dynamic. Start rewarding 10 silver at 5 minutes and climb upwards like a reverse timer, capping out at 1G after an hour, something like that. If the reward is per account per day, there might be some optimal timing for completion. Say you get to the boss, it might be worth taking 5 for a smoke break then finishing out. Speculating is fun.

It would be incredibly dumb for them to do something like that.

Anyway, being Anet, I’m sure they’ll messed up and the results will be on par with loot scaling in GW1 : instead of having one good farming spot, they leave us with dozens of bad ones.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t know. I suppose the less you dodge the more damage you do. Maybe that’s why Lyssa rune seems pretty popular for mesmer this days.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

It’s a game with Metrics Analysis.
If they really wanted to, they could compare your dynamically adjusting multivariate gaussian curve of theoretical ranking versus the Boss’s and reward you based on how you performed versus an algorithmically determined probability of winning. Not saying that that’s a good idea. But, Completion Time is like, 2003 stuff. You’re seriously underestimating the capacity for frighteningly glorious evil there is in your modern big brother MMORPG.

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Whatever the new dungeon is, it’s going to be a level 70+ dungeon, because 60 tokens of that dungeon = 2 rares, thus globs of ectoplasms, so farming will probably go to coe, considering the only 2 other choices are arah ( hardest and longest dungeon, no lodestones or cores) or hotw ( bosses with insane hp pool and mostly drop glacial cores/lodestones,) and I fully support the new update, it’s what everyone that doesn’t farm cof has been asking for so long, good job anet, the game is finally fair, there is also a big chance orr farming will resurface because of the champion drops

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Player Character.9467

It’s a game with Metrics Analysis.
If they really wanted to, they could compare your dynamically adjusting multivariate gaussian curve of theoretical ranking versus the Boss’s and reward you based on how you performed versus an algorithmically determined probability of winning. Not saying that that’s a good idea. But, Completion Time is like, 2003 stuff. You’re seriously underestimating the capacity for frighteningly glorious evil there is in your modern big brother MMORPG.

Except he wants the reward to go up the worse you do, 10 silver for 5 minutes, 1g for an hour (8.333s per 5 minutes). God knows what for akitteng thru the night.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.

Curious as to what the metrics for determining “difficulty” and “length” will be… And along those lines, which will be the more heavily weighted.

I’m interested in this too. Though I’m guessing they have been able to collect length of time it takes a group, number of players downed, deaths, maybe damage taken, etc. Just remains to be seen what weighting factor each of those should have.

Edit: Okay I just reread what you wrote and then what I wrote and basically I repeated what you said lol. Time to stop posting tonight I think.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

I’m interested in this too. Though I’m guessing they have been able to collect length of time it takes a group, number of players downed, deaths, maybe damage taken, etc. Just remains to be seen what weighting factor each of those should have.

Edit: Okay I just reread what you wrote and then what I wrote and basically I repeated what you said lol. Time to stop posting tonight I think.

+1 Upvoted!

How could I not?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

4 words:

Better late than never.

Yeah good riddance to the gold farmers. This too too long in coming.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Arah Paths 1-4 = New CoF Path 1?
Great patch ANet!

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

God forbid Arah gets farmed. CoE will take throne before the plaque reach Arah.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I wouldn’t call it plague if people are forced to learn to play to make money. You can faceroll drunken through CoE with a firsttimer party just as people currently do in CoF. That won’t happen in Arah!

Dub | [rT]