This game cannot be bad as this

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Airo.3860

Airo.3860

I just started with PvE and after few hours of playing it, I am speechless. In every single dung i met ppl who are just running and ignoring tons of mobs. They dont care if they die, like 30×. They just run and trying to avoid. WTF is dat? there is absolutly no reward for killing them? Its worth to avoid 50% of dung? I am almost sure, killing it would be faster then trying to run like mindless npc.
but fighting with bosses is even better – bug or nothing. I can understand, everybody is trying to use glitchies and bugs in their favor. But this is just wrong.
Pve is about how to not pve.
This game cannot be kittened as this. Nothing can. (except legue of legends)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

almost sure

Been to Arah yet?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I recommend reviewing the FAQ in the stickies. They explain stacking and skipping, and what to do if you do not like to do either. Also, I know there’s a thread called players against stacking and skipping (PASSS) I recommend getting in touch with them as well.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

It’s terrible… just uninstall.

Trash mobs rarely give any good loot, it’s better to run past them. Some endlessly respawn but I think that’s fractals.. not dungeons.

Huh? What bug? What glitches? You played this game for few hours and hence came to this conclusion. :/

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I have to admit this is one of the least rewarding games I’ve ever played. You skip monsters because they simply give no reward, and it delays the run (that’s generally not rewarding either for long or hard dungeons like CoE)

About the bosses, you have to understand that warrior is the strongest class in the game, and ANet makes everything to keep them the best around. The problem is that they can’t deal so much damage to moving targets, so “stack there so I can deal damage”. Making res/healing easier is just a bonus

Lindbur.2537

Great, now I have a brain tumour as well.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

sPvP – hold points kill nothing if you want
WvW – hold stuff kill nothing if you want
Dungeons – kill some stuff kill more stuff if you want

thankfully you have the choice of playing the way you want so you can keep believing your preferred game mode is superior.

edit: if I misunderstood and you’re new to the entire game then feel free to apply the same kittenlogic to whatever game you do like and realise they are all pretty darn silly.

(edited by RemiRome.8495)

Posted by: Ionut.2307

Ionut.2307

The game is exactly like this OP. Dungeons are a fiasco. Lacking rewards, devoid of fun.
Players running full dmg. All they do is stack, glitch, exploit and abuse broken mechanics. Skipping 90% of the mobs.
Don’t try and convince them a game shouldn’t be played like this though.
They always come with the same excuse. Apparently it is permitted by Anet. Devs can’t fix their pve environment, they don’t even have a dungeon developing team, so they allowed this type of gameplay.
If you’re looking for good instanced content, this game is not it. I left out the dungeon owner system, party kicking or lfg merging. I hope you don’t have to experience one of those.

(edited by Ionut.2307)

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

If you want a game where killing trash is rewarding, uninstall. Heck, if you want a game that has any sort of fun loot mechanism where you can get drops you can actually use on your character from time to time, this isn’t it either. This game is about farming gold, buying mat, playing TP. This isn’t the game where doing dungeons will get you gear drops you can actually use, or might want to trade with the rest of the party. 99% loot is complete salvage loot. And the few things that aren’t complete salvage loot can’t be traded (fractal skins, ascended boxes, some of the fractal exotics too) and have horrible rng with almost no expectation of getting something that can be used. GW2 is one of the worst skinner box I met. It’s just not working.

Since the highest rewards from doing dungeons come from gold and token, anything that can be skipped should in fact be skipped.

Since patch 2.x even Diablo 3 has a better loot mechanism than gw2, and it was completely broken at release. That says a lot about GW2 and loot.

There is nothing that can fix the issue sort of a gigantic game wide overhaul because let’s say if they made it impossible to skip trash in any of the dungeons, people would just stop running them altogether. Or even stop playing the game for many cases. Because that would introduce a stick, while missing the carrot. This game doesn’t have a lot to look forward to, most of it is just a gold grind economy with end game 100% based on crafting.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Thanks for the laugh OP.

Stacking/skipping/DPS/dodging = evil and exploit
Safe spot AFK ranging bosses like PuGs = as intended

That about right?

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Why do people always complain about this stuff? I’ve never played a game where killing trash is rewarding or worth the time spent. Someone please enlighten me as to which game has rewarding loot drops from trash mobs.

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Why do people always complain about this stuff? I’ve never played a game where killing trash is rewarding or worth the time spent. Someone please enlighten me as to which game has rewarding loot drops from trash mobs.

The one where nearly all the cash rewards came from trash.

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

dark souls or demon souls, while it’s worth to skip the trash mobs, they are very rewarding to kill and each one rewards you with at least something usable.

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

If you want a game where killing trash is rewarding, uninstall. Heck, if you want a game that has any sort of fun loot mechanism where you can get drops you can actually use on your character from time to time, this isn’t it either. This game is about farming gold, buying mat, playing TP. This isn’t the game where doing dungeons will get you gear drops you can actually use, or might want to trade with the rest of the party. 99% loot is complete salvage loot. And the few things that aren’t complete salvage loot can’t be traded (fractal skins, ascended boxes, some of the fractal exotics too) and have horrible rng with almost no expectation of getting something that can be used. GW2 is one of the worst skinner box I met. It’s just not working.

Since the highest rewards from doing dungeons come from gold and token, anything that can be skipped should in fact be skipped.

Since patch 2.x even Diablo 3 has a better loot mechanism than gw2, and it was completely broken at release. That says a lot about GW2 and loot.

There is nothing that can fix the issue sort of a gigantic game wide overhaul because let’s say if they made it impossible to skip trash in any of the dungeons, people would just stop running them altogether. Or even stop playing the game for many cases. Because that would introduce a stick, while missing the carrot. This game doesn’t have a lot to look forward to, most of it is just a gold grind economy with end game 100% based on crafting.

This game is princesses’ simulator.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I just started with PvE and after few hours of playing it, I am speechless. In every single dung i met ppl who are just running and ignoring tons of mobs. They dont care if they die, like 30×. They just run and trying to avoid. WTF is dat? there is absolutly no reward for killing them? Its worth to avoid 50% of dung? I am almost sure, killing it would be faster then trying to run like mindless npc.
but fighting with bosses is even better – bug or nothing. I can understand, everybody is trying to use glitchies and bugs in their favor. But this is just wrong.

You nailed it. Dungeons and loot mechanics in GW2 are one of the worst I ever encountered in a MMO
If you bought from Anet you can request refunds within 6 months of purchase

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

PSA: In almost every game ever made, skipping mobs is the quickest way to complete anything.

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

Almost every single player RPG, and still many MMOs.

PSA: In almost every game ever made, skipping mobs is the quickest way to complete anything.

Not true.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Almost every single player RPG, and still many MMOs.

Because we can compare Single Player RPGs to MMOs, right?

Also, all those other MMOs have this tagging system, in which once you hit a mob, no one else can get XP or items from it unless they’re in your party, and when that’s the case, the XP/loot must be shared among your party-members, so in order to get enough XP for everyone in your party, you have to kill five times as many monsters. This is the reason skipping doesn’t occur as much in other MMOs.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’m not a great fan of skipping but remember that
- Killing lots and lots of trash mobs isn’t great fun. Make a group that kills everything and go into a dungeon together each day for a week. By the end of the week you’ll want to skip mobs.
- If mobs are not leashed (lose aggro when out of range) then all groups will take stealth classes and skip everything with stealth. That isn’t any better.
- The recent living story dungeons generally prevent skipping so the designers are getting better. There’s no point in just aggravating players by just making the old dungeons longer and less fun.
- Less skillful activities elsewhere are more rewarding than dungeons despite skips.

Many MMOs have had some form of skipping. In old Everquest raids the necromancers used to run to a safe spot to die and use unique skills to resurrect themselves. Then the rest of the raid all died so that a rogue could drag all the corpses to the necromancer who used a one off skill to resurrect a cleric so that the cleric would revive everyone else. That would move raids of 80 people through a zone. Now that was skipping!

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

In WoW I would run heroics and clear everything. Why? Cause it was a relatively trivial thing. Get about a gold from each pack. Spend a good 20 seconds to take one out. Even if you had to sheep and it was a first run you can explain a group and follow through. Oh sure there were places you could skip, but the alternative was not a complete detour to complete.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Most people skip the mobs in a dungeon because they just want to get done with it as quickly as possible and get their rewards.

Personally, when I do dungeons with my guild, we go through the dungeon normally. It’s a lot more fun that way.
If people don’t like having fun in a game, then it’s their loss. I couldn’t care less.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Perhaps… wait for it…. people are having fun with skips and stuff?

Lindbur.2537

People keep trying to impose their definition of fun on others.

sigh

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Perhaps… wait for it…. people are having fun with skips and stuff?

No, that can’t be it. How could it be fun to skip content that gives you nothing. Fun is about doing pointless things. Or at least that’s what “fun” means in the playasyouwant brigade.

Funnily enough, when you play games like D3 you actually go out of your way to clear all the elite packs on the map. There, the expectation for loot is radically different.

I ain’t going to clear trash for a couple white and blues.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Airo.3860

Airo.3860

Thank you for your comments. I tried to do arah path 1, again. I read wiki, watch some videos, to understand how to deal with it. But after another 2,5 hours trying, we cant make it.
There are missing like 3 waypoints. Its really sad how this game works. U can tryhard, u can sweat blood and u get nothing. U lose more golds for repairs than u get. If u already have exotic gear, with stats u need, u dont need to waste hours to clear all other dungeons.

This game is noob unfriendly. Lot of mechanics could be better and more satisfying.
If u want be good in this game – pve or pvp. U should know how to play all classes and all specs. (and combos) And since, its quite a lot. U can understand how hard is that for a new player.
It looks like only way to enjoy this game is make a premade with bunch of friends and clear all content together.

Anyway, thank you again for great feedback. I will try to learn all other classes, so i can increase my skill in pvp. And I leave pve to more skilled players…

Posted by: Acerola.6407

Acerola.6407

Thank you for your comments. I tried to do arah path 1, again. I read wiki, watch some videos, to understand how to deal with it. But after another 2,5 hours trying, we cant make it.

Hmm … with what people do you play? It seems you / the other players are geared awfully / just bad.

There are missing like 3 waypoints. Its really sad how this game works. U can tryhard, u can sweat blood and u get nothing. U lose more golds for repairs than u get. If u already have exotic gear, with stats u need, u dont need to waste hours to clear all other dungeons. This game is noob unfriendly.

This game is extremely “noob friendly”. One of the casual-friendliest games I know (just look at open world content …)

Anyway, thank you again for great feedback. I will try to learn all other classes, so i can increase my skill in pvp. And I leave pve to more skilled players…

PVE is partly about memorizing the encounters and about situational awareness. You have to learn tells and stuff so you can avoid damage etc.

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Airo, sign up in the dungeon mentoring in the stickied thread and I’m sure it won’t be as tough as you’d expect.

Stooperdale.3560

“Thank you for your comments. I tried to do arah path 1, again. I read wiki, watch some videos, to understand how to deal with it. But after another 2,5 hours trying, we cant make it. "

Actually this isn’t so bad as it seems. Lots of players use common knowledge tactics to blow apart the dungeons for fast runs. They quickly get bored by it. Seeing the dungeons in their proper difficulty will give you more understanding of the game in the long term and give you a proper challenge in the short term. Dungeons are difficult without the tactics.

Saint.5647

There are missing like 3 waypoints. Its really sad how this game works. U can tryhard, u can sweat blood and u get nothing. U lose more golds for repairs than u get. If u already have exotic gear, with stats u need, u dont need to waste hours to clear all other dungeons.

It’s the last dungeon in the game! It’s also the most fun in my opinion and the only one that can still cause problems if people are playing poorly. Ease up and learn the game a bit better. Everyone on this forum has had their backside stomped by Arah (and every other dungeon) before they learned. Has it really come to this? The first thing you do as a new player is complain that the last and hardest dungeon in the game is not instantly steamrollable with a yolo build and PuGs?

This game is noob unfriendly. Lot of mechanics could be better and more satisfying.
If u want be good in this game – pve or pvp. U should know how to play all classes and all specs. (and combos) And since, its quite a lot. U can understand how hard is that for a new player.
It looks like only way to enjoy this game is make a premade with bunch of friends and clear all content together.

Yeah…knowing all the classes inside and out does make you better at this game….and at any game. You’re admittedly new. Just take the time and learn the game better.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

sigh

Your definition of fun is minimizing gaming time, intentionally skipping most of the game’s content, avoiding combat (a core mechanic of the game) and rushing to get rewards for the work you didn’t do?

Sorry, then.

Stooperdale.3560

The work you didn’t do? The work isn’t to kill every creature in the place. The work is to complete your quest objective. If you can escape a dungeon like CoE without fighting many opponents then that is the smart way to do it whether you are in fantasy fiction, a computer game, or a reality setting.

Lindbur.2537

sigh

Your definition of fun is minimizing gaming time, intentionally skipping most of the game’s content, avoiding combat (a core mechanic of the game) and rushing to get rewards for the work you didn’t do?

Sorry, then.

I’m sorry you can’t understand the world doesn’t revolve around you.

A remnant of times past.

Saint.5647

Sounds like QQ by a player who cannot make the skips. If you cannot make the skips, good luck clearing 100%

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

sigh

Sorry, then.

If that’s his definition of fun, let him. Does it hurt you? Why keep imposing on how other play?

Sorry, we skip mobs to get that chest and gold – which is apparently, a reward for finishing the dungeon, or reaching the end and killing boss – not for killing everyone inside.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

My advice: join groups (or create them) with this words “no stacking, no skipping, no glitches”.

You’ll get good attitude players and have fun even if u die

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

The dungeons are “hard” indeed. I play GW2 since release (also beta) and i remember the first time when i and some friends went into the ascalonian catacombs. We we’re not able to do it. After that we did not touch any dungeon for a long time. Some time later we heard that they’ve patched some of them, so we gave it another try.
In the meanwhile people had established tons of exploits, so we were struggling learning all the exploit-mechanics, but since you could not make too much mistakes it worked pretty well.
Today i know how to “do” every single dungeon, but since everyone is still exploiting, it becomes more than obvious that nothing has changed too much.
I mean, come on, the elite enemies can never be beaten witouth exotic gear and take way too long to kill. They even cause a ton of dmg. Also i find it rediculous how everyone claims that there actually is a mob mechanic. Most of them just use their skills, down you and attack another one. Often they don’t even know which player to attack, running after one and suddenly running after another one. How is this a mechanic? No way you can make any kind of prediction on a mob like this.
Imagine killing the spider queen in the catacombs witouth standing in a corner – you’d be running around like chickens, avoiding more dmg than causing, unable to understand what’s happening.
My personal suggestion to anet would be too decrease the health and the dmg of those mobs.

Edit: Not to forget how you get kicked in lower dungeons if you’re not lvl80. OP is right – running pass enemies and avoiding most parts of fighting is not the idea of playing a dungeon. I still cannot belief how fast you can finish ascalonian catacombs, less than 10 minutes! That’s a joke.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

(edited by Clyan.1593)

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

sigh

Sorry, then.

I of course can’t speak for Lindbur, but one thing (not the only thing! but one thing) I like in games is trying to trivialize them. Good games for me are ones that aren’t easy to trivialize, because then I still have to practice, play better, pay attention, think, etc. Does that mean every moment in every game I’m playing I’m min-maxing every little bit I can? Nope! But it’s one major source of fun for me. I actively enjoy looking for things I can skip (and then skipping them).

Maybe it’s not possible to design dungeons and combat and skills and stuff in an MMO in a way that caters to both people like you and people like me. I like to think it is, but maybe not. But it’s not as though the game would be more fun for everyone if it catered to your preferences.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Ranged attacks are exploiting! You’re avoiding all the melee attacks you’re supposed to have to deal with. I mean, why did they put dodge into the game if they wanted you to be able to complete everything without using it?

And if you’d all start skipping things, thieves would be more useful, too. Right now all that group stealth is useless in pve!

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Do you know why people do this? Because there are no Tanks/Healers in the game! Simple.

PvP is great without Tanks and Healers because everyone is more balanced, that is how this game seems to be designed.

PvE however, cannot function without Tank, Healer and DPS triangle. It’s just dumb to think you can send 5 players with no survival in to a dungeon and expect them to tank a boss.

As a sollution, for PvE dungeons, players should receive a buff that drastically increases their toughness, vitality and healing. This should make dungeons more playable for those of us that aren’t wanting to use exploits or reroll as Warr/Guard.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Do you know why people do this? Because there are no Tanks/Healers in the game! Simple.

PvP is great without Tanks and Healers because everyone is more balanced, that is how this game seems to be designed.

PvE however, cannot function without Tank, Healer and DPS triangle. It’s just dumb to think you can send 5 players with no survival in to a dungeon and expect them to tank a boss.

As a sollution, for PvE dungeons, players should receive a buff that drastically increases their toughness, vitality and healing. This should make dungeons more playable for those of us that aren’t wanting to use exploits or reroll as Warr/Guard.

lmao

you do realize a full cleric’s team can beat dungeons with literally zero dodging, right? just literally standing there taking damage.

toughness is plenty powerful, but super duper slow— that’s why people don’t use it.

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

lmao

you do realize a full cleric’s team can beat dungeons with literally zero dodging, right? just literally standing there taking damage.

toughness is plenty powerful, but super duper slow— that’s why people don’t use it.

Full clerics team in fractals. No dodge allowed.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

lmao

Full clerics team in fractals. No dodge allowed.

Love it, hadn’t seen that one.

(edited by maxinion.8396)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

How the heck did you reach level 30 in just a few hours?

Lindbur.2537

Experience Scroll and Tomes of Knowledge, I’d guess.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I understand the hostility about skipping.

Short story, In the first week of GW2, I was farming TA with my friends, killing every mobs because that’s all we knew. Then one day we were missing 1-2 players and decided to PUG. So this comes in and tell us were going to be skipping. What a mess is was, my friends and I were getting kittened off. “Why the kitten should we waste time trying to skip when killing is much faster” we thought.

Now I find skipping to be more fun and unless you have a thief, skipping require more skills than killing in 90% of the situation.

Also it has been said many time, but some skipping are actually meant to be. In arah you often see “patrol” sure you can kill those and move forward, or you can wait and hog the wall or part where there is just a ridiculous amount of mos that arn`t meant to be killed. Also Guild wars 2 has the best dungeon reward system I`ve seen yet, how many have a ran the same kitten dungeon to finally get the shield I was hoping for, just to get it stolen (rolled higher than me) by a mage that doesn`t have any use for it. At least in GW2 I get token i can exchange for the piece of gear I want.

The only way I can see trash being worth killing is if Anet implemented a point system that reward bonus drop/exp at the end depending on the point you accumulate killing mobs.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

The only way I can see trash being worth killing is if Anet implemented a point system that reward bonus drop/exp at the end depending on the point you accumulate killing mobs.

Now there is an interesting idea

if there was such a point system, we would have a lot less skipping / speed running and a lot more killing to get those scores higher so we can earn better loot at the end.

problem is a.net suffers from marginal reward syndrome

meaning the bonus reward would be along the lines of more blue / green useless scraps.

what happens next ?

every speed runner goes back to skipping and speed running

Latinkuro.9420

So I’ve been reading a lot more about quantum physics and parallel universes and it made me wonder: What would happen if there’s another version of our world where spreading out is the optimal way to defeat enemies and killing all creatures is also the quickest/efficient way to do dungeons? Do you think there would be massive amounts of threads promoting “stacking and skipping for funzies!” on their forums?

Thankfully that’s not how quantum physics works, so I don’t have to worry about this!

+1 for actual knowledge of quantum mechanics.

if you view it from a string theory POV where there are an infinite number of strings ( parallel universes ) in which anything that can happen has happened, every time you decide to go left in some other universe you decided to go right or even backwards.

in that case,

• there exists a universe where gw2 launched with the holy trinity and people keep nagging for them to abolish it.
  • yet in some other universe gw2 launched as a p2p game with a cash shop and is doing rather well.
  • in some other universe gw2 never launched and a.net created winds of change as a true next gen gw1 expansion that added action combat and jumping to gw1

Latinkuro.9420

wow, it was a joke kind of thing wink wink.

I love gw2 the way it is.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

wow, it was a joke kind of thing wink wink.

I love gw2 the way it is.

Glad to hear it. Me too.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Latinkuro.9420

and sure I am interested / curious about the universe and all that but no, I’m no scientist as such I’m sadly not prevue to all the latest of the latest info (jealous)

I do firmly believe however that there is life on other distant planets, actually finding them and meeting them is another matter.