To the dungeon/fractal/raid community...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

I’ll be happy to pass along your channel….snippedysnipsnip

Just another proof that Whisk(e)y is a reliable source of wisdom and insight.
No kidding, this is one of the very best walls of text I’ve ever read on this forum, simply because it’s so true in every way.
Kudos to you good Sir.

Now where’s that kittening bottle of 16 yo’ Lagavulin again…

Bring me that bottle! I drink cheap costco Kirkland Canadian Whiskey (tastes better than Crown Royal), but, then again, I have a tolerance that’s unhealthy and expensive

There you go
Imo this lovely piece of water has one of the best price-performance ratios ever

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: theoutsider.7849

theoutsider.7849

Makes me wonder if people in Zealots gear hunt people with Vampire runes..

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Looking back at my previous posts I might have been a bit harsh.

Like I mentioned before I personally don’t have any problem with support builds.
I wouldn’t kick anyone from my group if he’s using a support build, unless I specifically asked for players to run a specific kind of build.
In fact, I would just embrace it and enjoy the safety net it provides.

I just somehow got triggered by the fact that she had to make 3 threads about it in a short time, just to prove her point, while I felt this was unneeded and un-asked for.
A while back I posted something here, and my friend posted something regarding the same topic in another subforum.
It got massively reported and I got an infraction for double posting.
Yet Skady makes a post pretty much the same to her first one, a day after the first one is reported and moved, and no action is taken and people even appreciate her for her effort.

At this point I got a bit salty and responded to the thread, questioning the need for it, and I claimed she was just doing it for attention.
Again, I had no harmful meaning before this, the only thing I posted on the first thread was a video of one of my lupi kills with a clerics guard, to jokingly show how support classes generalize content and make even the hardest of bosses faceroll.

I don’t know exactly what her intentions were, only she knows that, and it was wrong of me to assume something while not being sure if it was actually true.
It might have something to do with English not being her (and mine) first language, as well as cultural differences

I guess i’ll apologize if I’ve hurt anyone’s feelings in my (partially drunk) rant.
And I also want to apologize to Skady for possibly misinterpretating her good intentions and talking down on her for it

It’s appreciated because it’s a rare post for non meta stuff that actually has some value. And, to be fair, she made one post months ago before the major update about it, one for LFG got moved to the right forum and then another post to continue the discussion within this forum.

To elaborate I think non meta discussion would do this community a lot of good. We balk at “support” builds because well frankly most people claiming support builds do it in a way taht helps THEM and not the group, that’s not support. This setup actually helps the group and makes for smoother runs. It’s a good demonstration of how you actually can do off meta stuff in a way that is beneficial.

I truly think that more discussion on this stuff would benefit us. I would not mind a (to emphasize 1 not many, 1! support build) in any run, maybe not of simpler dungeons but even Arah I could see the benefit. I loved Eco’s post a while ago with his low level thief doing basically nothing but the stealth and support role of thief in CM. It demonstrates perfectly what we always claim, that support/control are certainly roles within the game, the claim otherwise is simply a demonstration of lacking the ability/knowledge in how to use them. This goes a bit further in changing gear and demonstrating the power in alternative builds. There is power there, it kittening works. But, that’s not mindlessly throwing on defensive gear and claiming support, it’s actually an intelligent use of support to trivialize content.

Now there are claims of efficiency, but I feel it implies the perimeters of imperfect play. Of course perfect (or near that) play of zerk groups will be better. But, again, that’s not something you see often. Those that can achieve that at a level surpassing what is shown are obviously quality players and I’d feel comfortable saying they are elite players, not elistist, just elite, as in far above average.

I can tell you right now, Skady is capable of playing with any of those groups, I can say on a good day I am as well, but personally on a bad day, I’m not. At least not able to do so better that I do in a group with Skady. I am able to make mistakes, and thats where the claim of consistency comes, She empowers me to still be able to go through smoothy even if I fail at a personal level.

Again getting a bit ranty (nothing special there! <3 whiskey!) but I don’t see why we rebel against such things. I understand a gut reaction of revulsion. We’ve been trained to have such reaction, we see “support build” and instantly think about those staff guardians running soldier. But this is actually an intelligent use of the full capacity we’re given. I think that’s something we should embrace as an option for those incapable of consistently running the optimal. That’s it in a nutshell. If you’re capable of running full zerk in comparable or faster times, that’s awesome, but I don’t see the point in bashing it. Maybe it’s just a misunderstanding but I really hope we can all use this as an example of how non meta has power but is just non optimal given that the skill factor isn’t considered.

Ran another 50 with her tonight, if it weren’t for our third LDing every couple minutes we’d probably have had it done in 30 mins with Bloom/Harpy/Cliffside/Mai. Still went smoothly with his delayed skills and constant LD’s. That’s all I hope people take from it. That it can make sub par conditions and play still work solidly, and while it was slower than usual it was still not bad by any means.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Yea that rant just came across as “leave my friend alone!”

At the end of the day they were advertising the “strength” of something which has long been shunned by people who do dungeons/fractals. It was never going to have a happy ending.

Even if the build is super helpful and isn’t a wasted space the entire idea of the build goes against the philosophy of “L2Dodge” that has been blasted around for the past 3 years. It’s going to take a while and a lot of data for a build such as “skady” was using to be accepted by a consensus.

Anyway I’m a believer that it’s impossible to maintain mature discussion in any public forum. It’s inevitable for hive-minds to form and bury any form of real debate. This forum probably isn’t any better or worse than most other forums/sub-forums in regards to that; it’s just how things work.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

It’s probably a cultural issue, I’m also used to winking implying sarcastic superiority. In general I despise the emoticons being used at all because they are extremely ambiguous to the situation.

Interesting. It means the exact opposite here, and in this case I (in the US) took it more as “what I just said could be taken harshly with the wrong tone, but I mean it kindly, friend.”

Mind if I ask where you’re at? I think you’re EU, are winks considered snarky to most of Europe? These sorts of differences fascinate me….and they’re really, really useful to understand!

Wow, dlonie, you are so brave! Hats off to you, but again please let the matter rest.

Well, I’m not trying to revive the old issue, I’m just getting tired of seeing the hostile gut-reaction towards non-meta players in this forum and wanted to say something about it (friendly wink :P). Since one of the points of this thread was about improving this community’s reputation, it seemed a good place to start the discussion.

I really think we should put down the torches a little bit and even if we are provoked, we should fully try at least, to ignore. Ignoring is the best weapon IMO.

Nicely put I’d add that a good way to defuse these sorts of situations (on the forums and in real life) is to stop when you feel offended, and look at what really happened and if the offense is justified. In this case, it seems some cultural differences played a role, along with a mob mentality about 3 posts being “too many”. But stepping back and re-evaluating things from a neutral standpoint to see the other side’s real message…well, there’s really not much to get offended by. As Jerus pointed out (correctly, from my interpretations of Skady’s comments), some of the things that were causing offense were intended as complements, but at that point, she’d already been cast as an attention-seeking baddy here to grief us. What I got out of those statements was “you’re an awesome player if you can trio FotM 50 in full zerk.”

Perhaps the problematic part is “attacking other people”

Lots of people don’t have a thick skin. They aren’t looking forward to “getting attacked”, no matter how justified it is. They won’t bother staying to defend themselves. They just leave and we are left with a small community which doesn’t get dungeon updates for 2 years.

Very, very true.

Maybe it’s person bias, but I’d love to see more discussion on helping new players and groups get into this content. “here is a way to make it easy” “here is a way that’s not optimal, but will make it possible to have a smooth consistent easy run”. Instead we berate that type of play.

I find it completely illogical when I see claims of taking offense to quotes of “it takes an elite group of Sesshi level players to run zerk more efficiently” in a negative way. That’s literally a compliment if you can run full zerk more efficiently. There’s no reason to combat such a statement, “well my group can do it” deserves nothing but a /bow in acknowledgement of your success as a player. There’s nothing negative there.

There’s a lot in your post that was worth pointing out, but I’ve really got nothing to add. Just wanted to give you some kudos Very well put, you wonderful drunk kitten. We need to run again sometime, if I ever log in xD

I can hang in a zerk group, I’ll see many (including members of this community) eat a death before I do.

…and thanks for not calling me out by name :P

I guess i’ll apologize if I’ve hurt anyone’s feelings in my (partially drunk) rant.
And I also want to apologize to Skady for possibly misinterpretating her good intentions and talking down on her for it

It takes a lot of balls to come out and say something like this. You’ve earned quite a bit of respect with that. Kudos.

Again getting a bit ranty (nothing special there! <3 whiskey!) but I don’t see why we rebel against such things. I understand a gut reaction of revulsion. We’ve been trained to have such reaction, we see “support build” and instantly think about those staff guardians running soldier. But this is actually an intelligent use of the full capacity we’re given. I think that’s something we should embrace as an option for those incapable of consistently running the optimal. That’s it in a nutshell. If you’re capable of running full zerk in comparable or faster times, that’s awesome, but I don’t see the point in bashing it. Maybe it’s just a misunderstanding but I really hope we can all use this as an example of how non meta has power but is just non optimal given that the skill factor isn’t considered.

Jerus Best Rants NA All Time Number 1 A-OK. I enjoyed that one

Anyway I’m a believer that it’s impossible to maintain mature discussion in any public forum. It’s inevitable for hive-minds to form and bury any form of real debate. This forum probably isn’t any better or worse than most other forums/sub-forums in regards to that; it’s just how things work.

Heh. Sad but true.

Ok, finished my tea, wall of text complete, now time for …. work. Sigh. kittening adulthood. I never asked for this. :P

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Well since the thread has now derailed I can maybe join the conversation to add my 2 cents.

I would like to fully support dlonie (tbh since maha has disappeared I couldn’t find anyone I enjoyed so much to read each time) about how the dungeon community behaves sometimes.

Skady’s post was for me one of the best answer to threads claiming cleric is useless or healing is too bad in the game. There are so many threads in general sub (because now people understood this sub was not a good place to have discussions) about misconceptions of what the meta is and they all finish the same way. By having threads showing that though unoptimal other tactics in dungeons exist and can be fun, people wouldn’t feel that the dungeon sub (and by extension the entire dungeon activity in the game) is reserved to some elitists jerks.

I think there is one thing that is often forgotten : a lot of people actually read the forum without even login in. In my french case (oh and in France a wink is a friendly sign … or it has a sexual meaning) I can tell that many french people don’t even try to speak or write English though they can read it. A lot of them, while not participating, know about the discussions held here.
That means the discussions and behaviours from here have a huge impact in the entire game. I mean people didn’t start to mock non-zerker in mapchat magically… it was because they read it somewhere ( most probably here !) because most of the time it is easier to repeat what we read rather than to think.

You have a greater influence on this game than you think and if an initiative is made so that the good face of the dungeon community is shown then it has to be done. But please don’t show the jerk behaviour, there are much more better discussion here than these little pesky comments.

Nash.2681

It’s probably a cultural issue, I’m also used to winking implying sarcastic superiority. In general I despise the emoticons being used at all because they are extremely ambiguous to the situation.

Interesting. It means the exact opposite here, and in this case I (in the US) took it more as “what I just said could be taken harshly with the wrong tone, but I mean it kindly, friend.”

Mind if I ask where you’re at? I think you’re EU, are winks considered snarky to most of Europe? These sorts of differences fascinate me….and they’re really, really useful to understand!

EU Player here and I’d understand said emoticon exactly as you would. But there’s one thing to keep in mind- it might be valid to say “we in the US”, but EU =/= EU. There are more or less big cultural differences between european countries, so I won’t claim to speak for every EU player. E. g. someone from portugal might interpret one of your sentences differently than someone from finland.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Maybe it’s person bias, but I’d love to see more discussion on helping new players and groups get into this content. “here is a way to make it easy” “here is a way that’s not optimal, but will make it possible to have a smooth consistent easy run”. Instead we berate that type of play.

Part of the problem, to be fair, is that it wasn’t presented as “here is a way for bad players to learn fractals and eventually move on to berserker” it is presented as “this is the best way to do fractals unless you’re sesshi.”

But again, my only real complaint is that she didn’t bother to min max her concept. Most of her videos she doesn’t come close to dying. Any point of defensive stat you didn’t need is lost damage. And when there are simple gear changes you can make to her build that increase dps massively and defense massively at the same time it makes me think she isn’t trying.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I’ll make it short – as I’m not capable of writing a novel unless it a structured scientifikittenerature. Firstly, I agree with Wethospu, Jerus and dlonie. Secondly, in my experience, I have not posted as much and as cheerfully as I used to be. During the course of change, I find a lot of topics have become quite disagreeable to me, but I’m not going miles to wage wars and fight for my own justice. However, if there are posts which respectfully deserve attention yet buried in tons of ill-willed, snarky, raging, trolling, passive-aggressive replies, I’ll come to their defense and empower them – for Lilith’s share, too.

Last but not least, I am far from a part of this dungeon and fractal community. I’m happy as an outlier, I speak for myself and for my casual friends who never ever post here and I wholeheartedly support people who come to learn.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

(edited by Iris Ng.9845)

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

Fightception. It’s like that in every forum, and its likely to never stop.

No, its not. It’s a sign of a bad community. You can try to have a friendly themebased debate or you can start personal attacks. I can go in every topic here and start a battle about people “craving for attention”. Does it matter if guild XY is doing a run in X minutes? No, but some people are interested in such runs and gratulate. It would be unfair to derail such a topic.

From my point of view: the healing guard topic was interesting. It seems to be an easier way for fractals in a comparable good time to a fullzerk team – except if the fullzerk team is good enough to run without too big fails. I think you posted videos with a similar time, so a healing guard would maybe make no time difference for you. This could have been debated. Maybe the build would be interesting for PUGs – who usually aren’t close to 30 mins. I don’t think it really matters if a good group is able be ~10 mins faster or not. More important from my perspective is: is this build enabling not so good players to do fractals in a comperable time as a fullzerk-team. Less skill required, similar times?
Instead some people started personal attacks and shot the topic down. Not one person, several. It is an indicator for a toxic community, when you can’t even debate alternative ways or more beginner friendly. Maybe its a bad setup. Maybe celestial is better. This could have been debated, tested with PUGs, whatever.
If some people don’t see a reason to debate the topic: don’t post in it. If you think the topic “is craving for attention” don’t spend attention to it and ignore the topic….
The other topic was moved to another section, so it is imho ok to restart it.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Actually anyone who posts any form of an opinion in a forum is a troll because sadly opinions offend people who disagree with it. Unless you are posting cold-hard facts and math, you are just a troll.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: dboylolz.3916

dboylolz.3916

Interesting. It means the exact opposite here, and in this case I (in the US) took it more as "what I just said could be taken harshly with the wrong tone, but I mean it kindly, friend."

Mind if I ask where you’re at? I think you’re EU, are winks considered snarky to most of Europe? These sorts of differences fascinate me....and they’re really, really useful to understand!

I live in Norway, and the fact that you experience emoticons in a complete other way does make sense to me. I’ve heard from several Americans living in Norway how unwelcoming and unsocial we can seem. Prime example is people sitting on the bus, people will go out of their way to not have to sit with a complete stranger and having to engage in a conversation.

I honestly think it might derive from the law of jante which is still situated in Norway after quite a long time.

The law of jante for those unaware.

(edited by dboylolz.3916)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

In Canada, we wink and smile at strangers on the street. We say good morning to the folks drinking tea from their gardens in pretty sunshine.

There is one time during the summer, I passed by a beer garden smiling like an idiot (don’t remember why) and a guy (probably drunk) raised his beer to cheer for me!

Back in university, my prof would often include emoticons in his replies to my text/emails and sticky notes.

I always take a wink as “Oh, you! giggles”.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: theoutsider.7849

theoutsider.7849

I live in Norway, and the fact that you experience emoticons in a complete other way does make sense to me. I’ve heard from several Americans living in Norway how unwelcoming and unsocial we can seem. Prime example is people sitting on the bus, people will go out of their way to not have to sit with a complete stranger and having to engage in a conversation.

I honestly think it might derive from the law of jante which is still situated in Norway after quite a long time.

Does anyone ever voluntarily sit next to a stranger in bus or train if there’s still other free seats and or standing spots available?
I’m german, I’m not gonna claim generalizations about my people. What I will say is that we/I generally enjoy more direct and blunt forms of communication, and as such, to give my take on the topic we all keep talking about, an in my eyes (read this) passive aggressive sentence full with falsehood and ending in a wink might be considered a taunt.
I answered in bluntness, which may likely have been unappropriate, but that’s how we roll, you know.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Part of the problem, to be fair, is that it wasn’t presented as “here is a way for bad players to learn fractals and eventually move on to berserker” it is presented as “this is the best way to do fractals unless you’re sesshi.”

But again, my only real complaint is that she didn’t bother to min max her concept. Most of her videos she doesn’t come close to dying. Any point of defensive stat you didn’t need is lost damage. And when there are simple gear changes you can make to her build that increase dps massively and defense massively at the same time it makes me think she isn’t trying.

I think the focus is not the tankiness but the healing. The tanking is surely helpful, but we all know gearing doesn’t have to go to an extreme or really move out of zerker at all to accomplish that, run a solid block rotation and you’re set. I actually don’t see her health move much. The healing though, we all know it’s hamstringed to prevent full healers from playing a major role in the game as a whole, but as demonstrated it can in fact have power. When I take a stray shot it’s within a couple seconds that I’m back at full, that’s what makes it easy. So I think that was why she found clerics to work out better in that the gap in healing power just pushed celestial out of being able to truly make things easier.

@Cookie, I’m both sorry and not sorry I came across that way. Nothing I wrote is based on any friendship and it’s the same response to the first post months ago. That said, I would consider her a friend at this point so… ehh

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

So I think that was why she found clerics to work out better in that the gap in healing power just pushed celestial out of being able to truly make things easier.

Except… celestial is tankier than zealots and only loses like 200 healing power but gets more more offensive stats. It didn’t work for her because she didn’t want it to work because she was married to the concept. Heck, if I paid what the cost of Zealots gear is, I would probably be married to the concept too.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I don’t speak on behalf of all of america but I can say without a doubt it is not a social norm to sit directly next to any strangers here as long as there is other space available.

Btw if you don’t like emoticons then I can imagine you sitting there staring at your phone with a fist full of rage whenever you read the whatsapp chat we have with Goku in it xD he loves them so much

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I would like to fully support dlonie (tbh since maha has disappeared I couldn’t find anyone I enjoyed so much to read each time) about how the dungeon community behaves sometimes.

Aww, thanks. I wasn’t sure if I’d end up getting flamed out of existence for my posts over the last few days, but it sounds like there are a lot of us who were sick of the treatment ‘outsiders’ would get here.

The rest of your post made some good points. It’s usually the same…maybe 10 (?) of us that actually ever post in here, and it’s pretty easy to feel like no one else is reading it. I’d like to see more lurkers start contributing to discussions, though it’s not always easy to jump into conversations here, especially if you don’t have a thick skin or follow the herd.

EU Player here and I’d understand said emoticon exactly as you would. But there’s one thing to keep in mind- it might be valid to say “we in the US”, but EU =/= EU. There are more or less big cultural differences between european countries, so I won’t claim to speak for every EU player. E. g. someone from portugal might interpret one of your sentences differently than someone from finland.

TBH, it’s not really fair for me to do the same about the US. Having lived in the rural south and the progressive northeast…let’s just say there are some very stark cultural differences between the two. I love New York

As we can see, some people just get annoyed or mad quite quickly. Is this something bad? Not necessary, it is in their personality. Add to this the fact that they are aware of this and apologizing and this is why I have faith in Us as a community.

And honestly, most of us have tolerated this sort of behavior for a long, long time. I don’t know if we’ll ever change it, though I’d love to see this subforum earn a friendly reputation. But I can’t completely blame the people who get hostile — most of us have been watching that stuff happen for years without stepping in and trying to bring any reason.

There are bingo threads, and then there are decent people trying to get answers or find help. I honestly don’t mind seeing bingo threads blow up — especially when the OPs initiate the hostility or are refusing to discuss things maturely. Gloves are off at that point!

But we do often to react to any non-meta post as a bingo thread, and that’s a piece of the problem that would be easy for us to fix. I have tried to step in and defend a poster when I see this happen, but a lot of times it just feels futile. The trick is to do it without trying to shame anyone who might have been lighting fuses, and just point out that an OP hadn’t really done anything wrong and might have just needed a bit of guidance. Otherwise it’s just throwing fuel on the fire (which I fully admit to doing at points in the healing guard thread… :P I’m not above anyone!).

scientifikittenerature.

Best kitten ever :P

During the course of change, I find a lot of topics have become quite disagreeable to me, but I’m not going miles to wage wars and fight for my own justice. However, if there are posts which respectfully deserve attention yet buried in tons of ill-willed, snarky, raging, trolling, passive-aggressive replies, I’ll come to their defense and empower them – for Lilith’s share, too.

Last but not least, I am far from a part of this dungeon and fractal community. I’m happy as an outlier, I speak for myself and for my casual friends who never ever post here and I wholeheartedly support people who come to learn.

I think just a handful of people doing this can help turn things around. It’s worth a shot, anyway. +1

Back in university, my prof would often include emoticons in his replies to my text/emails and sticky notes.

Similarly, I got in the habit of over-using smilies when I was an online tutor during undergrad. Having to constantly tell people over chat that they’re doing something wrong….one learns to do everything they can to soften the blow, else you end up wasting a lot of time waiting for them to fix up their pride and start paying attention again. Apparently I’d just be kittening people off by doing that if they were from elsewhere in the world, lol.

Good stuff! This kind of information is always interesting. I’d not heard of the law of Jante before, and it sounds quite soul-crushing, tbh. The tone of the wikipedia article made it sound like most Norwegians dislike the concept, and it reminds me of some of the harsher socialist ideologies. I can see how that would tint a culture’s interpretations of social interactions compared to a more individualistic community.

As for sitting on the bus, I dislike social interactions with strangers in general, though there are people over here who feel the need to make small talk with everyone they meet. There’s a mix over here of outgoing people who want to talk to everyone, and the rest of us who wish they’d just leave us alone, heh.

I’m german, I’m not gonna claim generalizations about my people. What I will say is that we/I generally enjoy more direct and blunt forms of communication, and as such, to give my take on the topic we all keep talking about, an in my eyes (read this) passive aggressive sentence full with falsehood and ending in a wink might be considered a taunt.
I answered in bluntness, which may likely have been unappropriate, but that’s how we roll, you know.

Reminds me of a german chemist I knew. He told me a story about going through a checkout line at a store in the US and being a little freaked out by the cashier asking “How are you today?”. While we brush these off as meaningless small talk (we just say “fine” and that’s the end of it — you never actually give a real answer in these situations) he felt it was intrusive for a stranger to ask about something personal like that. Unexpected things happen when cultures collide

For the love of Melandru, I really need to stop with these walls of text >.<

Nash.2681

Does anyone ever voluntarily sit next to a stranger in bus or train if there’s still other free seats and or standing spots available?

Guess I ain’t german anymore :o (well, whenever someone asks me where I’m from I always answer “bavaria” anyway so I won’t complain ). Preference for direct communication whilst using sarcasm/irony and/or using emoticons to soften rather harsh sentences don’t exclude each other imo

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

Finally finished the new video. Rendering times are a thorn in my backside it seems. Discussion about the confusion of the terms viable/optimal, confusion usually leading to heated topics/arguments.

A proper understanding of the term before demanding criticism on a certain build or proper details when asking about a build (in the case of not knowing the terms) so we can understand what is asked for (viable/optimal setup) is key to more constructive topics overall, gaining trust of the populace outside the sub forum.

Any other topics anyone would like to hear me discuss in the future are always welcome, just leave a comment here or on the video. Stop sending fangs by the way.

Enjoy the Video!

Thank you very much again for your support and I’ll see you in game!

I really like your videos, although most of what you said has already been discussed here for ages… Maybe you should post it on reddit? I don’t mean this in any offensive way!

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Jockum.1385

Enjoy the Video!

Most players asking for a viable build are not asking for a theoretical viable build. They are asking for a good build – maybe not the optimal, but still good.
Usually you don’t need to ask for it, it can easily be seen from context.
Especially beginners struggle with bad builds and are not able to do everything with every build. It’s important to tell them which builds are good and which aren’t. The debate about viable or not is just distracting. Someone who wants to play a healer: no, healer is bad in GW2, GW2 is not a trinity game. Only dps matters. Together with a few high-dps chars it might be ok in high level fractals, but in dungeons etc. it is just bad.
Infos like “everything is viable” are not helpful. Tell him his build sucks and he should play a different build. Nobody wants a staff camping guard in his group because “everything is viable”. If he wants to play a healer he should buy another game.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Enjoy the Video!

Thank you very much again for your support and I’ll see you in game!

Nice video… though a bit static. I must admit I have trouble to follow a video when the speech and the images don’t show the same thing.
There is one thing maybe that shouldn’t be said : you talked about berserker and cleric build… there are many arguments on the forum to say that gearset =/= build. So maybe these are words to avoid.

Maybe I’m just stupid but I would have shown three examples :

Example 1
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWhMMo0hdOwwB8RM8AYzFIEsCkAwCoFWDyjQTA-TBSBABFp8jm9Hc+BAEhSwbU/BFdAIY+DgLAAA-e

This is a bad build. There is a huge lack of synergy between skills and traits. It is in fact really hard to be sure to do such a build after spec patch but this is something that should be avoided.

Example 2
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWnMICtMgVPA2NA0RghQAjiAdgt4EAKALwKGMCWBA-TxhGABB8AAmU9nFuAAEt/wlm/AQJYlK/AA-e

This is a healing build that tries to find a good compromise between dps and team regen. Skills, runes and traits are working towards the same support purpose, in healing version. It is a viable choice in the sense that you can create a group relying on life regeneration. It could even be the optimal build when the purpose is to find the crossing point between dps loss and healing gain.

Example 3
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWnMIClNgVPAONA0RgBBAjeCbhjQEAKAHA5SGCSBA-ThRBABXt/o8j9LAAe6AA4BAQp6PmpEMAwBwwDHAWf91Xf91b4hHe4hHuUARMMC-e

This is also a good dps build. Though I am not sure it is the optimal dps build solo, it is when playing with a meta team. The build is meta because given the state of the art it is the one that will maximize your damage output when played with a phalanx and when your defence rely on your guard and your ability to dodge.

The meta that we have now takes into account that enough people in the game population are able to read the tell of bosses and know the encounter. You need people who are enough skilled to play this team composition or need a low skill floor in the encounter. Arguably the meta is a bit different for different activities, even between dungeons, and what is now called THE meta is the solid backbone of the build that should be usable in every situation.

Optimal builds are defined by their purpose, meta is defined by the actual game “life”. A content-only patch may change the meta but won’t change the optimal. Conversely a balance patch may change the optimum while not changing the meta.

that is at least how I understand the words and the game… if I am totally wrong then tell me so that I won’t say BS to new players

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

Only dps matters.

Well that’s just categorically untrue.

Go do some dungeons without utilising control effects and active defense. So no immobilises, no deep freeze, no defiance stripping, no timed aegis or protection uptime.

Then come back and tell me that only DPS matters again.

There is no healing role. There is no tank role. But there’s much more to the game than just DPS.

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

Jockum.1385

Even in a group of friends certain builds cause trouble. If a casual guild decides to go into dungeons they might have a hard time, when they got one beerbow, a summon staffguard, a condi nec, and a scepter fire autoattack camping ele and a rifle warrior.
They might not care if a dungeon run takes them 30 minutes instead of 10. But they care if the die endlessly, the dungeon takes them 2 hours, or they won’t be able to succeed. If they care about this, not everything is viable for them anymore.
(not everyone is able to do every dungeon with every build/setup)

There is no healing role. There is no tank role. But there’s much more to the game than just DPS.

You are right. I should have written “only dps roles matter”. Everyone has to bring damage, there is no classic support role. But ofc you can bring some support while doing damage.