Want to get this straight

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

So Anet implemented a feature that allows us to replace a person in our fotm group if someone leaves, but if someone DC’s and doesn’t come back and you vote to kick him the entire group gets kicked back to Lions Arch and you have to start fresh?

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Was it the party leader you voted to kick? As far as I’m aware, as soon as the party leader leaves any dungeon party after they’ve started it, you all get kicked out for it.

I can’t remember if it was always this way, or if they added it at some point to prevent people from kicking party leaders and then re-inviting a friend/guildie to grab the tokens.

EDIT: The party leader in this case can be the person that actually starts the dungeon, rather than the person that created the group.

Pimsley.3681

Excellent question. It might have been but I am not completely sure as I was the last person invited to the group.

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

You may have kicked the instance owner, which would indeed close the instance and boot everyone out.
We are aware of a problem related to that though, and are working on solutions.

EDIT:
Whoever is the first person into the misty portal/dungeon is considered the owner of the instance, despite his placement in the party.

(edited by Robert Hrouda.1327)

JayMack.8295

You may have kicked the party leader, which would indeed close the instance and boot everyone out.

Robert, is there any way you can add a UI element to show who the party leader is or who the instance ‘belongs’ to? I know this may promote people being kick happy to those who aren’t party leaders, but it could also avoid cases where no-ones sure who the ‘party leader’ is in dungeons.

As I’ve said, I’ve created the group before, but because someone else initiated the dungeon by entering first, they were the ‘leader’ of the instance, and left. I thought the entire time that since I created the party that it was tied to me.

Pimsley.3681

You may have kicked the party leader, which would indeed close the instance and boot everyone out.

Thanks for the quick response.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

It was never added, it is something that has always been there – the system has to assign ownership of the instance to someone, as far as the players are concerned. It’s whoever started it. Can’t recall if fractals have cut scenes but I know in Dungeons that’s how you can tell the leader if its unclear. The leader is who shows in cutscenes.

JayMack.8295

It was never added, it is something that has always been there – the system has to assign ownership of the instance to someone, as far as the players are concerned. It’s whoever started it. Can’t recall if fractals have cut scenes but I know in Dungeons that’s how you can tell the leader if its unclear. The leader is who shows in cutscenes.

True. I forgot about that. I’ve always just skipped them having seen them so much recently that I forgot that’s how it decides who is in the cutscene.

I’ll remember that in Exp Dungeons in the future if I’m unsure.

But yeah, for Fractals it comes down to asking the party who started it.

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Allow me to correct myself – it’s not the party leader, but rather the instance owner. Whoever is the first person into the misty portal/dungeon is considered the owner of the instance, despite his placement in the party. I will correct my first statement.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

True. I forgot about that. I’ve always just skipped them having seen them so much recently that I forgot that’s how it decides who is in the cutscene.

I’ll remember that in Exp Dungeons in the future if I’m unsure.

But yeah, for Fractals it comes down to asking the party who started it.

In most cases, it’s usually the first name that is listed in the ReadyCheck pop-up when it comes to Fractals, though that was before the patch. I haven’t really checked to see if that’s true since the 28-Jan patch.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

There’s also an additional problem.
When the instance owner disconnects it’s all fine but when he reconnects the whole party gets screwed since he spawns outside the dungeon.

With some groups we kinda joke that if you dc and you’re the instance owner go get a drink and let us finish the run first.

Can’t you just make people spawn inside as a quick fix for the moment?

Rajani Isa.6294

As of Monday you should be able to re-enter (unless I e miss a bug thread about that not going through).

This problem here is leader went afk

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

You may have kicked the instance owner, which would indeed close the instance and boot everyone out.

EDIT:
Whoever is the first person into the misty portal/dungeon is considered the owner of the instance, despite his placement in the party.

Why are dungeon groups designed this way with an “owner”? It seems like something that only causes problems.

Rajani Isa.6294

Probably because (I’m guessing) they use the same tech as personal stories.

Posted by: Caprila.4951

Caprila.4951

As of Monday you should be able to re-enter (unless I e miss a bug thread about that not going through).

This problem here is leader went afk

This isn’t the case..

Just had this exact issue. 10 minutes into the first fractal, one of the party members left. Not disconnected, but fully left the party, for no reason we could see. No word, we’d had no wipes etc.

Turns out he was the ‘instance’ owner, and we’re all kicked back to lions arch, with no fractals instance. Nothing to reconnect to, and re-entering creates a new instance.

I guess although he wasted the time we’d spent forming the fractals group, at least we hadn’t gotten too far into it :/

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

EDIT:

If you do this, make it so party chat remains in your log for reporting purposes, and add a reporting section for people kicking you illegitimately…because currently, if you’re kicked:

1: You don’t see it coming, it just happens out of the blue.
2: You’re instantly kicked out of the instance and loaded into your previous map.
3: Your party chat is wiped, and you must go through roundabout ways to try find out all their names (rarely succeeding in finding all the player names).

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Robert, is there any way you can add a UI element to show who the party leader is or who the instance ‘belongs’ to? I know this may promote people being kick happy to those who aren’t party leaders, but it could also avoid cases where no-ones sure who the ‘party leader’ is in dungeons.

Just wanted to pop in to agree and say this is a good idea. Needs to happen, guys

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

There’s also an additional problem.
When the instance owner disconnects it’s all fine but when he reconnects the whole party gets screwed since he spawns outside the dungeon.

With some groups we kinda joke that if you dc and you’re the instance owner go get a drink and let us finish the run first.

Can’t you just make people spawn inside as a quick fix for the moment?

reconnecting shouldn’t kick you, if he switches characters however, it will. As long as he reconnects, logs on the SAME character, then it’s fine.