What is your most hated build?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Shadowstarkirby.4072

Shadowstarkirby.4072

I’m just curious, I want to hear everyone’s most hated build/weapon combinations that you happen to encounter in dungeons and fractals. It can be anything from the legendary bearbow rangers to the silly P/P theebs. Not making this topic to attack the “play how I wants” that like a build (I myself love P/P thief), just wanting to know out of anything you encounter what it is you hate the absolute most. Try and restrain yourself to stating one that just makes your blood boil and say why!

So, I personally dislike the before mentioned bearbow rangers. Usually if there’s a bearbow in my dungeons, they simply sit at max range and really do a poor job at providing the party with anything useful. Often times when everyone else is in melee, they grab the aggro and it becomes a really irritating run around to fight certain bosses. It usually (not always) provides a good indication that the ranger has never stepped anywhere outside of PvE open world as well. Did I also mention skill #4 on that darned bow? If they aren’t 1111ing, they’re most definitely #4ing.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

2nd warrior in my party no matter what build they run. Utterly useless but knobheads still use it cos hurrdurr 100b.

Posted by: ourplague.7196

ourplague.7196

Engineers that stay at max range and just throw grenades while everyone else is melee. Especially the ones that have the audacity to just sit there an strafe without attempting to res anyone if needed…. Oh wait… That goes for every class and build. So hard to just pick one

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Anything that is not D/F ele, like really, anything but that

D/F ele so szlachta

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

100% flamethrower = 100% rage.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Lava tomb Ele and Nosstate Necro. Nothing ticks me off than suicidal builds nowadays.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

I know it’s a boring choice, but it’s got to be the Bearbow.
It’s just the huge amount of newbies that pick up the class and think that it’s a WoW hunter/good ranged class and that they can just lazily sit back and let their pet/team do all the work for them.
Couple that with the low cooldown knockback and you’ve got yourself a build that is likely more of a detriment to your team than a boon.

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Bearbow. You can’t get more useless build than that in a dungeon/FOTM run. Usually running with no spotter, staying at max range doing crappy damage and dragging all the aggro with that stupid pedobear.

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Honestly? I’ve ran into bearbows so much I’ve become somewhat desensitized to them. But one day, when pugging the last open slot of a guild run of hotw we got something new. Something different. A clerics engineer with stacks of sigils of life.

Add to that the fact that he was acting like a rude kitten , and eating floor for most of the path and I really struggled with the temptation to kick him. Unfortunately, by the time I noticed what he was running we were halfway through, and I didn’t want us to be known as “That guild” that kicks pugs when we’re almost at the end of the path.

So we finished the path and he got the boot right before we started the next one.

Posted by: ThyShadowPaladin.9521

ThyShadowPaladin.9521

Too many to list.. but top on my list are those guys who camp range weapons the whole run.. and at melee range on boss fights..

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Zerk staff guardians who kitten up might stacks.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Mr. AFK for no reason.

• there are you happy!? 15 characters >.>

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

i have a friend who constantly trash talks me, and then whenever we do fractals he whips out rifle on warrior and sits back and ranges all final bosses….

but really for me its thieves who dont take sword/pistol when the group needs blinds in fractals, or the ones who argue that d/d > blinds

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

ptv/ cleric " support" guard that thinks having a good margin of error is great for their teammates.
Next is probably a second warrior.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

d/d p/p SR only Thieves.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Mr. AFK for no reason.

>.<

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

d/d p/p SR only Thieves.

Why have SR when you can have signet of shadows!

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Things I hate… Well I’m tolerant..

But I got a nomads party today: 2 staff guards and a knights thief(at best) and a shout heal warrior… They coud barely keep me alive but in the end we fouund a good way to finish the dungeon, guards walling me in & empowering me , warrior banner support with GS might, and thief with SB on my lavafont… perma might and fury…

And 1 person doing DPS… That’s what you get running a dungeon with a WvW commander squad… Wet noodle DPS… but a lot of sustain… In the end only kohler proved to be a minor problem, and the duration of the paths… 35 min/path while I’m used to do 3 in 45 to 50 minutes tops?

Could have been worse yet they could have been mace/shield warriors, mace hammer warrior and pistol dagger thief…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

turret-engi

Grimkram [sS]

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

-Staff guards
-Longbow rangers
-Rifle or axe offhand warrs
-Thieves that camp SR even when you ping blasts
-Scepter eles that dont use conjures
-Pug mesmers in general

Meh I just don’t really like pugging in general it seems. I used to be a lot more tolerant with it last year but now I just cba lol

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

•warriors that charge ahead, not thinking of the rest of the group, leaving back aggro for everyone else to deal with, especially after I ping a stealth skill.
•guards that insist on keeping a 100% light field uptime. I swear, some of them seem to make sure to put down a light field as soon as they see big ol bomb (before my fire bomb goes off). Idk what they’re running, but I’m not about to eat one of Lupi’s uppercuts to do a tiny bit of retal damage to him.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Trap thieves.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

kitten kitten warriors. They make bearbow rangers look like champions. You can REALLY tell when you got a kitten warrior, especially the kind that doesn’t pick up the kitten hammer in the colossus fractal and forces the 11k hp ele or thief or even mesmer to run it.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Staff gs guards. People can cry about bearbows proccing defiance and ruining stacking but permanent area retaliation and when they empower over might stacks does make my blood boil. It’s not only they are useless like a bearbow but they are directly hurting the group. Oh and bearbows have actually more dps!

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Staff guards, GS mesmers, shortbow rangers, GS camping warriors, Pistol/X thieves

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Mr. AFK for no reason.

>.<

what?! wasn’t talking about you

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

If you get ticked off by builds, don’t pug.

Shadowstarkirby.4072

Don’t have to pug to find someone using off beat builds, Nyx’s post made that pretty evident, no? We’re just posting what we hate to see is all.

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

first: warrior phalanx and fgj spammer when we have 2 ele blaster in party and 25 might stacks all time; also, in the same situation, no elite banner from them but signet… for … what???
second: having 2 wars in party and no empower allies
third: necro, no matter what build
fourth: any build that intends to heal
fifth: mesmer that don’t go mantra build with sw/sw-foc

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I don’t hate any build in particular, if you can pull your own weight and show respect to the party, I’m fine with everything.

BUT.

If you’re a semi-amateur warrior, who watched a one or two videos of people soloing and have never tried it on your own, that joined a party of first-timers in Arah and you just rush forward and forward without helping me with blasts or swiftness and you try to be a smart kitten when I ask you to help me then chances are I will kick you immediately.

Same guy eventually got his tryhard butt handed to him at Lupi and one-shot at Brie.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

D/F ele so szlachta

LOL wow… you know s/d or s/f isnt always the best, SPECIALLY if you have 2 eles…. one should go staff at that point.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

D/F ele so szlachta

LOL wow… you know s/d or s/f isnt always the best, SPECIALLY if you have 2 eles…. one should go staff at that point.

Yes, but it’s Zelyhn, so it’s okay.

By the way, a full zerker bearbow isn’t half as bad as you think. Here are some builds I actually encountered while pugging:

• Staff-Mesmer on conditions with PU.
  • Cleric shoutheal warrior with rifle.
  • GS Mesmer who went melee with the rest of the party but refused to switch his weapon. Used feedback on cooldown. Like every mesmer.
  • Regen-Warrior with ascended cleric armor and dolyak runes. I know this guy irl, I think he does this to annoy me…
  • Heal bomb engi.
  • Tank Thief, because it’s impossible to survive in dungeons without pvt armor.
  • Scepter ele camping air. Brzzzzzt. Brzzzzzt. Brzzzzzt.
  • Spirit Ranger, all 5 spirits.
  • Shortbow ranger, and I quote: “Dude, ths build is awesome, I deal almost 2k dps!”

You think bearbow is bad? You know nothing.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Interesting that there’s so much hate for a second Warrior. Warrior DPS is pretty good, definitely second rate behind an Ele but above a Mesmer, a Necromancer, or a Guardian. Warriors are also pretty nice meat shields in pubs, allowing squishies to have a little more breathing room.

kitten kitten warriors. They make bearbow rangers look like champions. You can REALLY tell when you got a kitten warrior, especially the kind that doesn’t pick up the kitten hammer in the colossus fractal and forces the 11k hp ele or thief or even mesmer to run it.

What’s even more annoying is when I have less than 6k HP left due to no party blinds and the pub team still expects me to pick up the hammer before healing up because “Dude you’re a Warrior, kitten get the hammer”.

My least favorite build to encounter is a Necromancer without a Dagger mainhand. Whenever a Necromancer joins a party of mine I cringe a little, thinking that he might be running a Scepter or be a Staff camper.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Picking up deals 30% of your maximum health so it doesn’t matter that much who picks it.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Phantasms without Fury.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Picking up deals 30% of your maximum health so it doesn’t matter that much who picks it.

Well eles taking it is risky due to how fast they die to cultist attacks.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Interesting that there’s so much hate for a second Warrior. Warrior DPS is pretty good, definitely second rate behind an Ele but above a Mesmer, a Necromancer, or a Guardian. Warriors are also pretty nice meat shields in pubs, allowing squishies to have a little more breathing room.

Times have changed sir.

Warriors have very bad personal damage, but very good group buffing abilities. In the past it would be relatively efficient in casual runs to take two warriors, each running the other banner, but nowadays I can very much notice the drop in performance as opposed to having just one PS warrior with both banners and multiple eles.

Maybe part of the reason for it is over a year ago for the most part there just wasn’t anywhere near as many people who skillfully played ele as there are nowadays and there were tons of people playing warrior. Perhaps that was part of the reason they got nerfed so much? Who knows :P

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Hrmm… I know Warrior personal DPS has suffered over the months, but it’s still above Necromancers or Mesmers. That’s especially true given that pub tactics lean themselves to favor Warrior style rotations (such as GS3 into a wall) over the Mesmer rotations where things still die too fast for phantasm dps build-up or Necromancer rotations where there are more things than a 2-target Dagger cleave can damage. The extra survivability on a Warrior counts for a lot too. I could see the argument for second Guardians in pubs because players are bad and the extra protection/stability/reflect uptimes can go a long way for certain encounters. Still, I can’t say that seeing a Warrior in place of any of those bothers me any.

Any class can be bad, but a bad Warrior is still better than a bad Guardian, a bad Ranger, a bad Necromancer, or a bad Mesmer. Most bad Warrior pubs at least have a GS because it looks cool and pubs love to spam 100B on cooldown.

I certainly agree that in coordinated groups, second Warrior makes no sense, but I still think there are much worse things to run into in random pubs.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

D/F ele so szlachta

Of course he knows that. That’s why he said D/F.

Twice.

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

D/F ele so szlachta

Twice.

He must be one of the pagans I still have left to convert to the one and only true godly build: the Divine/Faith ele. Some heathens do not even know that it exists, but we shall remedy this with tact and diplomacy

Attachments:

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Iris Ng.9845

But,

ele

has

Arcane Shield,

and Sandstorm,

and an effing condition removal in every weapon sets.

Banner kitten has nothing. But banners.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

D/F ele so szlachta

Twice.

lol… well sorry, I actually didnt see it as D/F I 100% not lying when I say I saw it as S/F or S/D.. I have a reading problem.

Well then good troll.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

But,

ele

has

Arcane Shield,

and Sandstorm,

Yeah but on the final seals you arent standing in your sandstorm. You are running out to hit the seal. And you cant use weapon skills while holding the hammer. Plus as someone who always plays eles in fractals i have much experience being singled out by cultists in the stack. Conveniently taking me low inbetween blinds and projectile blocks.

Its not to say an ele cant run the hammer. I do it sometimes. Its just not as favourable as a class with a bit more durability. And eles cant hold the hammer for as many charges most of the time due to condition damage and single hits taking most of your health.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Big charr/norn with twilight/eternity and wings. I can’t see Kohler stick his sword in the air past one of those. I have about half the chance of knowing which way Seamus is pointing his gun. It’s like they’re saying “screw you guys” to everyone else, using that stuff.

I second “warriors who hurtle off leaving everyone else to handle the back aggro”.

As for builds… Staff guardians.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Times have changed sir.

Warriors have very bad personal damage, but very good group buffing abilities. In the past it would be relatively efficient in casual runs to take two warriors, each running the other banner, but nowadays I can very much notice the drop in performance as opposed to having just one PS warrior with both banners and multiple eles.

Maybe part of the reason for it is over a year ago for the most part there just wasn’t anywhere near as many people who skillfully played ele as there are nowadays and there were tons of people playing warrior. Perhaps that was part of the reason they got nerfed so much? Who knows :P

One thing I can say in defense of two warriors is that with two you can share banners which means each warrior gets an extra utility slot for Signet of Might. An extra 180 power does a lot for Warrior’s position on the DPS ranking spectrum in relative terms.

A second warrior, however, is still incredibly worse than having a ranger in that position for team dps since a Frost spirit is basically a Signet of Might for everyone in the party and then some. Not to mention Spotter.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Morte.5916

My heart does not fill with joy at seeing two warriors, but at least they can’t leave their pet out for a stealthed skip past volatile blossoms in TA.

Really, there are worse things than a second warrior.

Morte.5916

I used to be in a “daily dungeons” (not speedclear) guild. I left after a CoE run with an axe and shield warrior in WvW gear who told us we should be tankier, and and made disparaging remarks when I died to Alpha after 4 dodges.

But you can’t quit on guildies, so on quitting the dungeon I felt I had to quit the guild.

Really I should look for a better dungeon guild. But I started doing dungeons to see what they were like, and now I know, and it’s not like I need money, and Pillars of Eternity is out tomorrow.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

staff guards.
I bet anyone here can prove with numbers a worst build in damage and/or support, but the staff guards kitten me off so much. Not only its naivety but when you see a staff guard in a lvl 38/49/50 fractal all hope is lost, he gonna range melee bosses, he gonna put wall on melee bosses, he aint gonna use aegis properly but hes gonna brag about his 12stacks of might.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Iris Ng.9845

But,

ele

has

Arcane Shield,

and Sandstorm,

Yeah but on the final seals you arent standing in your sandstorm. You are running out to hit the seal. And you cant use weapon skills while holding the hammer. Plus as someone who always plays eles in fractals i have much experience being singled out by cultists in the stack. Conveniently taking me low inbetween blinds and projectile blocks.

Its not to say an ele cant run the hammer. I do it sometimes. Its just not as favourable as a class with a bit more durability. And eles cant hold the hammer for as many charges most of the time due to condition damage and single hits taking most of your health.

Likewise, but as someone who has much experience in pugging trio with my ele and pug never runs hammer anyways. I always save Sandstorm on the un-aggroed group of cultist, or even simpler, signet of air when I’m out of Sandstorm. If not, arcane shield and double dodge if things hit the fan. Point is, it is simply not an excuse not to run the seal and completely relying on warriors.

Not to mention, ele is one of the best if not the best (scratch it, mesmer is better) class to run the hammer in between seals without the need of portal. The only time that I think it is not wise to do so is at the chest seal.

Edit: Ele can hold as many charges as you want compared to the warrior for the fact that you can either heal or cleanse or both at the same time. Meanwhile the warrior cannot even regen with Poison on top of his Healing Signet and consecutive pickup will just kill him.

(edited by Iris Ng.9845)

Shadowstarkirby.4072

Yikes, I didn’t know that there were so many that dislike just having the +2 Warrior…makes sense though, once you got one, there isn’t anything the other can bring that could helpful. Runs of mine go noticeably slower as another one is added to the group, it’s really unfortunate.

Other very popular choices seem to be Staff Guardians, Bow Rangers, and GS Mesmers, very interesting…need to stop ranging guys, lol.

(edited by Shadowstarkirby.4072)