What profession you feel can carry a party?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Guardian seems like an obvious answer.

Well times wall of reflections and cooldown usage can really turn the tide of battle. That along with all the boons and general support and a Guardian will have the easiest time carrying a bad group.

Posted by: GabGar.4962

GabGar.4962

There are classes that are less then others and I say that because I know how to play.

Come at me bro.

You think you know, thats different “bro”

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

I might be vain, but I more than often see myself carrying a party and I am an engineer. A supporty one with Cleric Exotics (healing, toughness and power). I deal decent damage, but am very sturdy (not only because of my gear) and support everyone with heals and buffs (yeej for the new Altruistic Runes or whatever theyre called). Mostly when we have a warrior (i almost only do dungeons with guildies) with us they manage to tank extremely well and because of that the rest of us has it a lot easier. Yesterday our only melee was a thief and I found myself tanking quite often.

I more than often am the sole survivor at an encounter, reviving people, killing the boss whatever and I can safely say that I can and sometimes do carry a party. Our elementalist is also very capable of doing so.

Other classes: proper Guardians with their buffs and sturdyness (a tanky Warrior does the same) and that’s about it imo. Thieves are in general too squishy and the rest of the classes are more than welcome to have in your party but don’t carry it by any means I’ve found (Mesmers being a good example of this).

All in all it really matters on the player, which is something I love about this game, not the class. Yes, yes, there are some balancing issues, whine whine, but it is a lot more skillbased than most games.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

When someone specs bunker, to me its not carrying the party even if they are the last one alive, its gimping it by making things die so slow that the proper DPS’ers cant stay alive long enough to kill things. To properly carry a team, you got to DPS + Support. Not one or the other. Not “Decent” DPS. Normal DPS. Not Zerker, but not 0 power/prec gear either.

Your post says your so good at healing , keeping tanks alive etc, but then you go on to say you find yourself the sole survivor, implying the tanks die.

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

A guardian can heal and keep alive the party.

No, they can’t. Most bosses can hit for >20% HP per second, so if a player just stands in front of the boss for the entire fight, without using any of his own defensive abilities, he’s going to die. No class in GW2 can out-heal damage from silver mobs on other players, let alone from bosses. In fact, I suspect that even 4 “healers” won’t be able to keep a single player alive in most situations, if that player doesn’t avoid damage and use his own self-heals.

the warrior dps can make the difference just by killing fast

So can any other class specced to have high DPS (grenade engineer, fire + earth elementalist, etc.). But no matter how high your DPS is, boss fights in GW2 take several minutes, and bosses can target and kill other players in seconds. Having high DPS isn’t going to prevent your teammates from taking damage.

the elementalist can even solo some parts of dungeons.

So can other classes. What kind of statement is that?

the necromancer will keep you always without conditions

When I play necro I rarely equip a single condition removal skill, unless I know the next encounter applies a lot of conditions (ex., swamp fractal). Guardians and elementalists are far more likely to have some form of condition removal.

the enginereer can surprise you with hundreds of tricks

That one sounds straight out of a marketing department (“What do engineers do? No idea. Just make up something generic about ‘tricks’, it’ll look good on the press release.”)

the ranger is the best rezzer in the game, put double rez with the pet, use the spirit to instant rez people

And then another player gets downed while both your Nature’s Renewal and Search & Rescue are on cooldown, so you’re just the same as any other class, except you’re squishier and have no shield.

Also, the only way rangers can have stability is to equip Rampage as their elite, so very few rangers will have Spirit of Nature.

Thieves can stealth themselves and the downed player, ensuring they won’t even be targeted while reviving. That makes them the best revivers in most boss encounters.

thieves can also pull a single mob to kill him alone

The number of places where Scorpion Wire still works is extremely reduced. Also, not sure how that counts as “carrying the party”. What you’re describing is just a utility skill, and every class has several of those.

the mesmer can be awesome in expert hands, they can negate almost all dmg on the party if they are well used.

Get the best mesmer in GW2, put him in a PUG, now let’s see him “negate all damage on the party”. Good luck with that.

In a few words: If you say a class is less than other, you need learn to play.

If you say all classes have the same party support abilities, or that any class can consistently keep the rest of the party alive even when they make mistakes, you clearly need to play more. I suspect you’ve never even played half the classes you talk about.

Guardians and elementalists have the most party support abilities (as the posts on this thread demonstrate – if there was any doubt), but even they can’t fix other people’s mistakes again and again. GW2 has no taunts, very low team healing and pretty long cooldowns. Players have to rely on themselves for >80% of their healing and damage avoidance.

And if you’re just talking about soloing content when the rest of the party dies, then any class can do that (even classes with very few support abilities, like rangers). But that depends on the player, and how well he knows the encounter, not on the class itself.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: GabGar.4962

GabGar.4962

No, they can’t. Most bosses can hit for >20% HP per second, so if a player just stands in front of the boss for the entire fight, without using any of his own defensive abilities, he’s going to die. No class in GW2 can out-heal damage from silver mobs on other players, let alone from bosses. In fact, I suspect that even 4 “healers” won’t be able to keep a single player alive in most situations, if that player doesn’t avoid damage and use his own self-heals.

So can any other class specced to have high DPS (grenade engineer, fire + earth elementalist, etc.). But no matter how high your DPS is, boss fights in GW2 take several minutes, and bosses can target and kill other players in seconds. Having high DPS isn’t going to prevent your teammates from taking damage.

When I play necro I rarely equip a single condition removal skill, unless I know the next encounter applies a lot of conditions (ex., swamp fractal). Guardians and elementalists are far more likely to have some form of condition removal.

That one sounds straight out of a marketing department (“What do engineers do? No idea. Just make up something generic about ‘tricks’, it’ll look good on the press release.”)

the ranger is the best rezzer in the game, put double rez with the pet, use the spirit to instant rez people

And then another player gets downed while both your Nature’s Renewal and Search & Rescue are on cooldown, so you’re just the same as any other class, except you’re squishier and have no shield.

Also, the only way rangers can have stability is to equip Rampage as their elite, so very few rangers will have Spirit of Nature.

Thieves can stealth themselves and the downed player, ensuring they won’t even be targeted while reviving. That makes them the best revivers in most boss encounters.

The number of places where Scorpion Wire still works is extremely reduced. Also, not sure how that counts as “carrying the party”. What you’re describing is just a utility skill, and every class has several of those.

the mesmer can be awesome in expert hands, they can negate almost all dmg on the party if they are well used.

Get the best mesmer in GW2, put him in a PUG, now let’s see him “negate all damage on the party”. Good luck with that.

If you say all classes have the same party support abilities, or that any class can consistently keep the rest of the party alive even when they make mistakes, you clearly need to play more. I suspect you’ve never even played half the classes you talk about.

Guardians and elementalists have the most party support abilities (as the posts on this thread demonstrate – if there was any doubt), but even they can’t fix other people’s mistakes again and again. GW2 has no taunts, very low team healing and pretty long cooldowns. Players have to rely on themselves for >80% of their healing and damage avoidance.

And if you’re just talking about soloing content when the rest of the party dies, then any class can do that (even classes with very few support abilities, like rangers). But that depends on the player, and how well he knows the encounter, not on the class itself.

As I said Im working on my 7th 80 (all exotic gear at least), so yes I know what Im talking about.

And yes all your wall of text resumes in: all depends on the player skill. So ANY class can carry a whole group if you know what are you doing

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

As I said Im working on my 7th 80 (all exotic gear at least), so yes I know what Im talking about.

And yes all your wall of text resumes in: all depends on the player skill. So ANY class can carry a whole group if you know what are you doing

no mate, guards are better, with the players having the same skill

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

There are classes that are less then others and I say that because I know how to play.

Come at me bro.

You think you know, thats different “bro”

Nope I’m pretty sure I know.

If you want to “compare” stats…
I have 7 80s, 1000s of dungeon runs, 40+ fotm on one character and 26+ on 2 other chars, and speed run guides for every single dungeon path in the game.

I’ve also carried pugs many times in my earlier days before I only did organized grouping, it’s much easier to carry on specific classes, notably guardian.

You’re list of marketing terms has nothing to do with carrying, Engi with “100s of tricks”, Necro with condition removal which is extremely easy for a bunch of classes, Rezzing people with your pet, and Scorpion Wire doesn’t let you carry. The whole point of carrying is to take off as much pressure from your group of bads as possible so they can focus on just killing and downing as little as possible to make dungeons much faster and easier.

Go do Harpy or Shaman Fractal or something like GL and let me laugh at you as you attempt to “carry” your group with a lack of reflection, stability, and skills that allow you to be an anchor so bads don’t need to dodge or mitigate as much damage. Go fight a boss like Kholer with a bunch of people that are terrible at dodging and laugh as you use your Aegis and Stability to keep your group safe. But you know, pet rezzing, scorpion wire, and a necro are really going to help you carry better there… Not to mention Guardian is the best at being an anchor to relieve pressure from the rest of your group. That’s called carrying.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

Every class can carry in a way, other classes can just carry HARDER… miles harder.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

/sarcasm
I only have 5 80s. Oh, crap. That means I know/play worse than anyone having more 80s than me. But I feel better because I know/play better than those having less 80s than me.
/sarcasm

Until you are proven otherwise in a practical way, having a lot of 80s meaning jacks because there are tons of ways to level up w/o even sweating your underwear.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I personally feel best with my Necro to carry. I have 7×80s with full exotics/ascended. That said, if your with an organized group I think overall a Necro would probably slow things down a bit. One reason I mostly play Necro in dugeons is because I mostly pug and I know it might be a bit slower, but we will get through it reasonably unscathed. If I was with an organized group, id certainly be leaning towards warrior.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Guardian, hands down. For me at least.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Back to the OP topic, with in-experienced players in my party, I always bring my guardian. She can heal every 2s through hammer chain not counting dodges, stabilize & provide aegis for the whole group, provide boons, remove group conditions, CC and still ditching a lot of damage through her berserker weapons. I don’t see my other 4 80s could do the job as well as my guardian does.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

No one mentioned mesmer? Then I guess I will put forward how I have used my mesmer to carry a party. Btw I am an average player, not some fighting game pro.

In general: I dont use my illusions as sh tter fodder ie they sometimes take aggro off teammates and have signet of illusions up most of the time. I sometimes have phantasm defender up to take 50% of damage away from the warriors. More importantly I go in and out of melee to relieve pressure off the melee classes and blurred frenzy allows me to be invulnerable while dealing damage. Mesmers can do damage while dodging btw. And my particular build enables me to tank for a bit believe it or not. If I were to use my staff instead of my GS to offer more support, two words: Chaos Storm – a few seconds of daze and/or Aegis/protection to teammates. And of course there is Time Warp. Do ppl usually equip their rez teammates skills either as util or elite? 90% of the time I play the answer is No. I conserve my TW until the party is in danger of being overrun so they can clear the horde that is about to overwhelm them or when a few are downed so they can either bandage themselves faster or get rezzed faster. Furthermore, reflection – reflected damage is 2nd to none with Feedback and u have THREE reflect skills if u are traited for it. People forget that even without reflect focus skills traited the phantasm warden blocks all projectiles. Condition removal – see below legendary shaman. The only thing that mesmers can’t do obviously is to heal teammates for any significant health even when traited with phantasm regen, as the amount of health healed is too low.

Specifically, Lava Shaman: this is what prompted my post in the first place. True guardians can mitigate the flaming arrow easily with reflect, but as to how to take down the shield quickly (and safely), phantasm warden, phantasm berzerker and GS autoattack does a number on the shield quickly. Another thing which is even more fantastic, mesmers have got a pull skill called Temporal curtain which allows them to do damage to the lava elementals AND damage the shield at the same time with aforementioned phantasms. They can also Feedback the flaming arrow. As for condition removal, mesmers can do that too for teammates with both phantasmal disenchanter which has a 16s cd when traited and a pulsing conditional removal Null Field.

COE Project Alpha: No explanation required if you ever played COE. And I am no expert in playing project Alpha.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: NocnaShada.7695

NocnaShada.7695

You must be kidding me.

I have 19 lv80 chars and all are mesmers. I usually equip a focus, or a pistol offhand and no main hand weapon. I can solo carry two dungeons at the same time with no utility or elite skills even equipped. Oh, and I don’t even need to put points into traits.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Party sucks? They cant dodge? they’re taking massive dmg? I switch to guardian.

Aegis Aegis prot prot etc etc, cover up all the failure.

Done.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

In my experience, Guardian, Mesmer and Engineer. Guardian can keep people safe. Mesmer just has the ability to stay alive longer than anyone else (more skilled players use it?). Engineer can keeping running while putting out a high damage output if crap hits the fan thanks to the 360 attack direction of the Grenade Kit.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Warrior, doesn’t matter whether team is alive or dead (preferably dead).

IWAY?

my ele and engineer keep people alive and tank mobs pretty well. dps isn’t everything :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

IWAY?

my ele and engineer keep people alive and tank mobs pretty well. dps isn’t everything :p

You must not know who weth is, he has a collection of videos of him solo’ing dungeons. His party being dead makes boss attacks more predictable and easier to manipulate. Some encounters are easier to solo than having a party full of people not knowing what they’re doing making it messier.

JJBigs.8456

IWAY?

Im sure you heal through that 1 trash mob great, except your team could just hit their own heal skill and heal through it too. then on a boss or any hard mob, they die. your not doing them a favor

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Mesmer literally “carries” the party though a lot of content with portals.

But Guardians are pretty versatile too. Mass invisibility from Rogue and Engineer is fun too.

Warrior is boss too.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

i carry with my thief daily. sadly your assumption was wrong in my case

I personally think thieves can save parties completely downed (happened to me a few times) but this is counterbalanced they get downed v easily themselves unless the player is skilled. People generally have a bad opinion of thieves being glass cannons and the many players playing thief really badly in PVE. I would have said the same thing about eles a month ago, but it seems that people playing elementalists have upped their game, at least in my experience.

This is true, thank you. I would also add that thieves can be very survivable, but- like you said- their build has to reflect that, as well as their skill level.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

In my experience, I’ve seen Guardians, Warriors, and Mesmers carry the party. I’ve saved my party from the brink of destruction countless times on my Guardian. I’ve seen warriors solo bosses when everyone else was downed. And Mesmers, well they get us through areas we don’t want to be.

Posted by: thisisu.7504

thisisu.7504

Guardian, but you can’t fix stupid.

Thisisu – Mesmer – FotM 51
Thisisudax – Guardian – FotM 49
Fractal Videos: http://www.youtube.com/thisisudax

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

In a bad dungeon pug, revive is king. So obviously guard first and foremost (melee-cleric type builds). A good stealth built thief is the greatest EMT provided you revive on down rather than from death. If you have both in party, even better, as guard keeps melees up while thief can dart out to revive ranged on stealth.

…and not speaking of glass stealth thief. Thieves can remain efficient with some defense in my experience.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Elementalist.

(15 characters)

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Mosen.9526

Mosen.9526

Thief is my answer, actually. While I feel my guardian is a lot better at keeping people alive, I am much more comfortable with my thief. Between shadow refuge and smokescreen, it’s easier to safely rez someone in a poor situation and if you’re the one who winds up kiting (one kite one rez at Lupicus is the best example), you have the perfect short bow weapon kit to do it with, and with the right timing and skills, you can turn your kittenty kiting situation into boss vs you+4 other thieves, diverting aggro and picking up on the lack of DPS assuming you kited to the right part of the room. Given how mobile the thief is, complete with utility and decent DPS, I am perfectly capable of carrying groups with mine.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

When I’m in a group that I’m not super confident about, I always default to my guardian. I can always be a solid wall of metal between mobs and my my party, and I can mitigate their mistakes with aegis/protection/heals.

Posted by: Alurazle.5430

Alurazle.5430

Elementalist+guardian

It takes 2 to make a dungeon run go right. Whenever there is a guardian on the team our buffs combined keep us from even getting knocked at half hp. Boon spam ftw!

Dragonbrand4life

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The only time I feel like I carry a group is on my guardian. They can take aggro, soak damage and support their allies with encounter changing skills (reflection, stability, aegis) all with the same build. Stability and aegis alone negate Kholer, I don’t care how high your warrior or thief DPS is, five people immune to Kholer’s pull and a guardian face tanking him is going to burn that encounter faster.

There are times were I feel like I am a dramatic shift in the ability of the party to complete content (sometimes it’s the DPS from my warrior, sometimes it’s the support and control of my ele – don’t underestimate AoE blind from Sandstorm, AoE chill, AoE daze and AoE cripple, AoE heals, condition removal and water fields) but when talking about the concept of a carry, I believe only a guardian has the effectiveness to truly do that.

Adding more DPS to a group is a great thing, but it doesn’t compare to stopping your poorly skilled allies from getting pulled, from acting as an anchor, from reflecting that powerful boss attack or stopping people from getting knocked to their deaths in the harpy fractal. Warriors are great DPS and can help their allies through vulnerability and fury, but DPS alone doesn’t make you a carry. Not in GW2 dungeons. The guardian has the most tools to counter dungeon challenges.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Depending on the dungeon i take my Warrior, Mesmer ( not to fully carry though, just to portal around) or Ele. Also Rangers can solo dungeons, guardians aswell. Thieves too and i necros at least AC and CM.
But a warrior will mostlikely always be better to carry than a guardian or ranger. IlIt’s all about DPS.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I take my Ele to every dungeon, I feel secure & certain there will be extra heals to go around- if there’s atleast 2 other ele’s in the party; I take my necro, all condition dmg which is boss imo- currently building up my warrior!
But I don’t like going into a dungeon without atleast a guardian haha

Posted by: Buro.3576

Buro.3576

why is this even discussed? guardians, enuff said

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

After I’ve leveled my guardian to 80 I don’t even consider rolling my engineer, thief or elementalist for dungeons.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I’d say that the most obvious answer would be a Guardian due to how tank-like they could be in the dungeon. However, I’ve carried a lot of inexperienced people on my Engineer— I’ve had some painful moments but the pay-off is usually pretty good for me.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Teleniel.1809

Teleniel.1809

I’m with GabGar, All professions CAN carry a party. The question when slightly rephrased becomes, which professions are MOST LIKELY to be able to carry a part on most content.

One of the big things I’ve heard for along time is “situational kitten is situational”. If you restrict yourself to thinking about one class using one weapon combination, with only one set of traits/skills you are going to end up with a giant pile of maybe’s and if’s about what will work out the best.

Guild Wars 2 really does help focus players on having a single build (your traits) and working off that by changing weapon types / armor stats, and utility/elite skills. You could bring in multiple trait books and respec every encounter in a dungeon to be the best and do it by yourself, while adjusting gear and skills but is that really a reasonable solution?

So taking those as a starting point, we can look at possible builds (just in traits), and take any 3 skills/1 elite and the best weapon/armor options for the fight … and then guess at player skill to come out with an estimate of what a class can do.

I would rank them something like this:
— Guardian is probably the easiest class to play on a “solo survivable” level, even against dungeon content
Guardian
— Thief and Mesmer both have a very wide array of utility skills to bring to the table. Thief can likely escape a fight or continue on with good use of stealth even after the update. Mesmer lost quite a bit with the kick to their elite skill, however well played they still have some of my favorite CC abilities to just make a fight easier for the party.
Thief
Mesmer
— these classes have very good options for carrying a party, however they either require much higher skill level or builds which may not be common. A few easy mistakes can end their run.
Warrior
Elementalist
Necromancer
— these classes are much less likely to carry a party, generally because of how combat tends to flow they are less likely to make a single outstanding performance, instead providing sustained benefit throughout a dungeon with moderate skill level
Ranger
Engineer

Posted by: kipz.8701

kipz.8701

Guardian/Warrior are Meta. Ideal dungeon scenario is 2guardian/3warrior (2/3) or 1guardian/3warrior/1mesmer (1/3/1).

Everything else is just filling the gaps needed for players.

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

All of them and any of them if the player is any good.

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

I was just on a CoF P1 run with 4 Warriors and me (Grenadier Engineer). Fast killing, but had a couple of party wipes when we just couldn’t survive stuff. One Berzerker Warrier (who probably wanted to farm P1 only, he pinged his gear when joining without being asked) left when we started P2, so we recruited a Guardian. Much smoother run, he was good at clumping the foes, and we never had another party wipe on P2.

I think a Guardian is probably the best support for a melee-primary party, without much doubt. It could vary a lot more with a more mixed party, I found I had to hang back from most fights even once the Guardian joined, so he was helping me mainly by helping the fighters and thus keeping most of the aggro on them.

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

Warrior, Guardian, and some Necromancer builds. (singet of undeath).

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

eles have:
Great ressing capabilities
Some decent healing
Huge load of personal reflects

His drawbacks is the absolute lack of damage capability (i started from balanced and i m slowing building towards GC, yet my damage is meh) :|

Seems an ele is basically half a guardian….and for sure often better than a mesmer for support (i play a mesmer too, and its on another level for damage at least).

The sad thing is most ele players don t try all their weaponsets….and ele with a single weaponset is just bad. (speaking mostly of scepter/focus…they are mostly a PvE weaponset….mobs doesn t evade).

Note that only few classes can dps+tank…..
Its not gimping your team….leave that to cof/arah speedrunners.
Its true you need dps in some parts of the game, but you need also to stand 1 hit before dying……

So best players just have all weaponsets and 2 armor sets.

P.S. guardian is obviously the best class to carry a party :/ and a class that can be tanky while glasscannon.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: abelooi.9156

abelooi.9156

Guardians.

Aegis is Lord of boons, and king of carry. Wait, PUG kittening bad and don’t kittening dodge? Block the kitten kittening attack. 100% protection up-time at that. Stability on demand, and not just yourself.

Eles, engineers and mesmers I can understand being good carriers, but necromancer seriously(above posts)? You can’t kittening carry if you get knocked down every 2 and a half milisecond, or got tossed around because you have no kittening stability. Oh, and you have no kittening vigor.

And I main a necro.

and as someone has said, try Shaman in high level fractals, and see if you can carry as well as a guardian there. Without the reflections, aegis or 100% vigor up-time you’re basically useless.

(edited by abelooi.9156)

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

guardian lol.

Posted by: Teenwolf.9174

Teenwolf.9174

This is a matter of the dungeon and the goal of the party. For instance… if you are build defensively in a CoF speed run… you are doing nothing but hurting the party. Great! You can stay alive forever but you are in no way helping to clear faster.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Necro, while everyone’s dieing in 2 hits im dealing massive dmg and ressing the party and kiting mob zergs, bra.

JJBigs.8456

Necro, while everyone’s dieing in 2 hits im dealing massive dmg and ressing the party and kiting mob zergs, bra.

I have 7 level 80s. They all have the same gear (Zerker). They all have the same traits. (30/30/x/x/x). Necro doesn’t do massive damage compared to other classes. For a necro, it might be. But remember, the team isnt exclusive to your class. So I am doubting this claim on those grounds. Also how do you res while kiting? Is this a new thing? Stationary res yet kiting same time? I am jelly.

Posted by: PlasticHippo.8934

PlasticHippo.8934

im pretty sure he is talking about the necro’s range rez signet for the kiting rez, and although necro’s can’t ever do massive dmg, they are naturaly defensive, so going full offensive I think they have a good balance with the right build, but as far as carrying a group goes its mainly the person, not so much the class, ive carried groups on my necro though it was a bit harder than some other class’s, you can carry people on any class on the count of just about everything in the game can be solo’d on any class…

JJBigs.8456

Seems like one of those “Easier said than done” things. Im going to chalk it up to that. Everyone has a ability, as you said Hippo, which can carry. However, certain people pulling it off, thats a different story. Everyone can post “My class does A,B,C, to carry”. In theory, it sounds great. On the battlefield, I think Results May Vary for some of these ideas/tactics.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

carrying is more a matter of skills than of equip.

Most mobs/boss will 1-2 shot you anyway without caring if you are GC or Tank.

That is when your invu/shield/vigor/absorb etc and CC skills (expecially those bypassing defiant) will do the difference.

So while best classes are obviously guardian and warriors (banners ._.), mesmers and eles (scepter/focus mostly) are possibly next (but on a long distance)……

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer. All of these classes either have ample reflection or offhealing to help mitigate damage. And these classes do pretty good damage (warrior way more than everybody else) on top of their robust support skills.

Despite what Account says, you try a fractal 48 grawl shaman without a guardian or mesmer or ele or thief or warrior. Especially the guardian.

Spirit shield+wall of reflection+ sanctuary/Hold The Line is incredible group mitigation skills. The group pull with greatsword will make handling of lava elementals so much easier. Drop a spirit shield, and pull the elementals into your protective bubble while the group inside it aoe bombs them down.

You really can’t compared necro or engineer or especially ranger to these other classes. The engineer may be able to do some damage, but his utility is deficient if he doesn’t bring elixir gun, which still doesn’t compare to a guardian or water attunement ele’s heals.

Guardian in particular can carry a group because it has so many tools to reduce damage on your group and CC groups of opponents. Warriors on the other hand can carry the group by making the boss fight much shorter and reducing the time window for failure. They can kill threatening mobs much faster than anybody else so the group doesn’t take massive damage.