Why are jump puzzles in the dungeon?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I REALLY hate jump puzzles. You people have no idea how frustrated I am about this.

Posted by: Kathias.8532

Kathias.8532

oh come on, I dunno exactly which one you mean, but the one in asura-like environment with harpies is the easiest one in the game…I wouldn’t even call it a jumping puzzle…you can do the jumps even in combat

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Why not? I really like them and they’ve been in the former dungeons too. Things like CoE lasers, CoF magma stones, TA bees, etc. They are not “jumping puzzles” per se, but require similar skill. It’s not like the ones in FotM are particularly hard ( seen only 3 fractals so far ) .

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Jasher.6580

oh come on, I dunno exactly which one you mean, but the one in asura-like environment with harpies is the easiest one in the game…I wouldn’t even call it a jumping puzzle…you can do the jumps even in combat

You guys don’t understand… I seriously have a problem with jump puzzles… I think I have a serious problem with depth perception.

Posted by: Kathias.8532

Kathias.8532

You guys don’t understand… I seriously have a problem with jump puzzles… I think I have a serious problem with depth perception.

sorry to hear that, but in that case I’d recommend you to kill all the harpies first, get out of the combat, position yourself right onto the edge of the platform and either make a simple jump or press space and immediately after that both mouse buttons. That should work in every single jump in that puzzle

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Puzzles etc make this dungeon amazing imo.

I give mad probs to Anet for this dungeon, very nice

Posted by: Sarelm.8317

Sarelm.8317

Just find a mesmer friend that’s good at them and mooch off of portals if you’re so desperate to get around them.

You laugh because you think I’m joking. I laugh because I’m not.

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Better get used to it.
If jumping wasn’t a mandatory thing in your previous MMO experience, it is now!
And I love it.

Posted by: Dempsey.8760

Dempsey.8760

But I wanted to play GuildWars2 not Super Mario Bros.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Jumping is part of the gameplay just like dodging and running around is. I don’t see why they should remove this for a couple of people. Sure I can sympathise if you have trouble with depth perception but just like some people struggle with dodging it doesn’t mean dodging should be removed. In the same way they shouldn’t remove jumping for the same reason.

Dungeons were meant to be the harder PvE content and so if you have trouble with it perhaps it’s just not for you? The jumping things we have encountered so far seemed quite reasonable al though we haven’t seen all fractal areas yet. Just get a group with you who are willing to take their time and be supportive if you struggle too much.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: WaystedMined.7831

WaystedMined.7831

The difference here is jumping puzzles such as this actually do hamper individuals who want to play the game, but due to disabilities lack the fine motor skills to perform them. Previous jumping puzzles were mostly “optional” and would not hamper an individual’s attempts to advance a character’s equipment. The jumping puzzles in FotM do interfere with those individuals.

Posted by: Crazyeye.7514

Crazyeye.7514

What he said.

I have always hated platforming games. I didn’t have to do them before in other events, now it is mandatory in what is going to be the main endgame dungeon grind Anet introduced today.

I think they are so proud of their sequel having the jumping ability they are going ape kitten putting it in everything.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

The dungeons jumping puzzles are as do-able as the ones in PVE, so it’s not too bad.

CoF path 1 have a kind of jumping puzzle too. (Fireballs section.)

Posted by: TwinkOwnsFace.7968

TwinkOwnsFace.7968

My BF is Green/blue colorblind and he doesn’t complain about wvw

Jasher.6580

The difference here is jumping puzzles such as this actually do hamper individuals who want to play the game, but due to disabilities lack the fine motor skills to perform them. Previous jumping puzzles were mostly “optional” and would not hamper an individual’s attempts to advance a character’s equipment. The jumping puzzles in FotM do interfere with those individuals.

This is actually a very clear outline of my concern. Putting jump puzzles in a dungeon is a terrible idea. I hope someone from ArenaNet actually reads this.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I love that they added the jump puzzle aspect to FotM. A big reason why I always liked the mini-dungeons, so many of them have it.

I wasn’t very good when I started doing them either but just practice – on anything, fenceposts, rocks, w/e. There’s a small easy one in LA, northeast behind the waterfall – takes less than 2 minutes and you get a chest. I’ve even gotten a rare from that chest!

Couple tips:
The longer you hold your space bar, the farther you jump.
You can steer in mid-air with your strafe keys.
For long jumps use a speed buff.

Krag.6210

Jumping is one kittening key along with your forward key. What kind of disability lets you play the game normally but prevents you from pressing one single key?
Jumping puzzles aren’t harder than the rest of the game to disabled gamers.

Also, Arenanet is trying new things by implementing these little “puzzles” in dungeons and it’s a really enjoyable change of pace in the middle of the mob bashing.

Don’t you like new things?

This game is a lot more about movements than your traditional MMOs.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

This is actually a very clear outline of my concern. Putting jump puzzles in a dungeon is a terrible idea. I hope someone from ArenaNet actually reads this.

Whilst I understand your disability. Platforming is a well used and very prevalent form of gameplay.

A lot of games out there have this in spades and the ones used in this dungeon are certainly some of the easiest examples of platforming I’ve ever seen. Nothing moves and the platforms are very close together and a nice size.

If you still can’t do it after some practice, then get a friendly mesmer to portal you up. :p I’d advise getting used to platforming though, there are a tonne of great games out there that like a bit of jumping and you’ll be missing out if you don’t get to grips with it.

Posted by: bamono.7098

bamono.7098

What he said.

I have always hated platforming games. I didn’t have to do them before in other events, now it is mandatory in what is going to be the main endgame dungeon grind Anet introduced today.

I think they are so proud of their sequel having the jumping ability they are going ape kitten putting it in everything.

Ok this made me laugh, but honestly, I love the jumping puzzles. A lot of people do. There are things about this game that people love (WvW…for now) that I don’t really care for. I hasted the jumping stuff at first too (mostly because of the bad shapes…hard to land on branches but easy to land on air next to it?). After some practice I got it down…and yeah, make a mesmer friend.

Jasher.6580

there are a tonne of great games out there that like a bit of jumping and you’ll be missing out if you don’t get to grips with it.

I can’t get to grips with it… I am incapable… the dungeons were fine without them. I can’t work for map completions because they vistas are impossible for me, I don’t like PvP… the only thing I could do well at in this game was dungeons… and now they are adding jump puzzles in there to gate me from it as well… I’m more than a little saddened by this.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

@ those who have trouble – if you on on lower fractals allow the party to wipe the harpies out first. Then try. If that fails find a mesmer (I know it kinda sucks to have to LF1 Mesmer thing).

About all you can do, or they might be able to be redesigned similar to CoE laser/Asura fractal ramp. Only 3 need to make it to then “form” the full bridge for less skilled/disability players. I wouldn’t mind that.

Krag.6210

I can’t get to grips with it… I am incapable… the dungeons were fine without them. I can’t work for map completions because they vistas are impossible for me, I don’t like PvP… the only thing I could do well at in this game was dungeons… and now they are adding jump puzzles in there to gate me from it as well… I’m more than a little saddened by this.

Not to gate you from it, but to force you to get better at it.
Consider it part of the challenge.
There’s no MMO law saying dungeons can’t have a little platforming and “mini-games”.

Jasher.6580

Not to gate you from it, but to force you to get better at it.
Consider it part of the challenge.
There’s no MMO law saying dungeons can’t have a little platforming and “mini-games”.

I wont ever get better at jump puzzles. I am incapable. It is too hard for me.

Jasher.6580

@ those who have trouble – if you on on lower fractals allow the party to wipe the harpies out first. Then try. If that fails find a mesmer (I know it kinda sucks to have to LF1 Mesmer thing).

About all you can do, or they might be able to be redesigned similar to CoE laser/Asura fractal ramp. Only 3 need to make it to then “form” the full bridge for less skilled/disability players. I wouldn’t mind that.

Giving someone the ability to form the full bridge sounds like a great idea. I wouldn’t mind that either.

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

The jumping puzzles in the fractals are quite literally the easiest in the game. Are people really complaining about pressing “W+SpaceBar”? Gamers these days….

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Jasher.6580

The jumping puzzles in the fractals are quite literally the easiest in the game. Are people really complaining about pressing “W+SpaceBar”? Gamers these days….

I find it hard.

Posted by: Grunim.9034

Grunim.9034

I was unaware that there were jumping puzzles in FotM until seeing this thread. I’m one of those individuals who have physical limitations that hinder my ability to perform them. I’ve run across MANY people who play this game in the same boat as me.

I was fortunate that I did not encounter a jumping puzzle in my first run yesterday, so I didn’t let my group down. But knowing there are jumping puzzles I will no longer try this content because I don’t want to slow down others

Zammi – Mesmer
Tarnished Coast since August 2012

Posted by: FalconDance.1637

FalconDance.1637

I was fortunate that I did not encounter a jumping puzzle in my first run yesterday, so I didn’t let my group down. But knowing there are jumping puzzles I will no longer try this content because I don’t want to slow down others

I am incredibly fortunate that my guildmates support me and don’t rage at me when they have to slow down for my jumping difficulties. Eventually I get them done, but it’s pretty awful sometimes.

Yes, there are MANY who literally cannot do these jumping puzzles due to disability (mine is arthritis limiting fast reflexes and mobility) – and finally Anet listened to us and separated out the achievements so no one suffered the loss. If only some of their players were a bit more understanding and less judgmental……..

BirchFlower [RBW] – Sylvari ranger, Isle of Janthir
Lili BirchFlower, Adjutant, Royal Black Watch
http://www.royalblackwatch.net/

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

I am blind in one eye and can complete all of them just fine

Jasher.6580

I am blind in one eye and can complete all of them just fine

That’s nice to know… I am not blind… but I still can’t do them.

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

I’m loving the jumping puzzles… I love jumping.

Finished Southsun Cove Skipping Stones jumping puzzle a while ago, awesome. Also beat that Champion there. Blue drops, oh well.

Need moar puzzles.

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

Why not Why jump puzzles in the dungeon?
They add some special felling in dungeons. Its not just kill, loot and move to next.
Its much more! <3
EPIC!

Can You Keep a Secret?

Jasher.6580

You guys are meanie dummy heads. I guess I’ll I wont be enjoying the new dungeons.

WaystedMined.7831

If you can’t figure out WHY there are people with concerns about jumping puzzles in progression dungeons yet, then I’d assume you have some form of mental disability. Its pretty obvious if you read this thread and just pay attention. Instead you come in and just say “Jumping Puzzles are great” or “Lazy gamers”, but lack any consideration for those people who’d like to play a game with their friends but physically CANNOT complete a them.

Some how ANet managed to built a shut off for the dodge the lightning bars coming down the ramp if three people got past it, but didn’t think to make an equivalent for the jumping puzzles? Very inconsiderate to a very specific set of gamers.

This has nothing to do with jumping puzzles in the open world that don’t provide an advantage to players via gear that cannot be obtained anywhere else. Unlike the fractals which very specifically have gear you cannot get elsewhere.

Posted by: Tryble.6819

Tryble.6819

The jumping sections in FotM aren’t even difficult enough to be put on par with the puzzles, really.

I wonder how someone who plays this game, which requires more complex positioning and movement to be effective in combat, complains about the comparatively simple “jump on this big thing right in front of you and repeat a buncha times”

Taikanaru.5746

If you can’t figure out WHY there are people with concerns about jumping puzzles in progression dungeons yet, then I’d assume you have some form of mental disability. Its pretty obvious if you read this thread and just pay attention. Instead you come in and just say “Jumping Puzzles are great” or “Lazy gamers”, but lack any consideration for those people who’d like to play a game with their friends but physically CANNOT complete a them.

Some how ANet managed to built a shut off for the dodge the lightning bars coming down the ramp if three people got past it, but didn’t think to make an equivalent for the jumping puzzles? Very inconsiderate to a very specific set of gamers.

This has nothing to do with jumping puzzles in the open world that don’t provide an advantage to players via gear that cannot be obtained anywhere else. Unlike the fractals which very specifically have gear you cannot get elsewhere.

The OP says he REALLY hates jumping puzzles. I say I love them. It’s wrong (and inconsiderate) to say it because it’s a different opinion?

The FotM jumps are easy. If you can’t do them, I don’t know what to say. Just press W and jump(Some don’t even need a jump, just walk down). I could probably do them blindfolded.
I must have a mental disability because I praise Arenanet for making awesome content while having nothing constructive to say to the people having difficulties with easy jumps, thus only praising Arenanet in my earlier post. Sorry.

(edited by Taikanaru.5746)

Posted by: Brewbeer.8239

Brewbeer.8239

Players who are unable to press space+w should maybe reconsider the game they’re playing. No one, and I mean no one, who can perform in combat in this game, is unable to complete the jumping puzzles in FotM. None of them are timed. Combat is far, far more involved, and requires far better motor skills than untimed jumping puzzles. The “Oh, I’m handicapped” argument is pure bullkitten, and just an excuse for failing, instead of working to get better.

WaystedMined.7831

Actually, that is a massively ignorant statement Brewbeer. Most of the combat in this game is rather simplistic. In combat being off by small distances doesn’t matter. General kiting required by 99% of the combat in this game does not require anywhere near the coordination of any of the jumping puzzles, even the “Space+W” as you’d put it.

Taikanaru.5746

Actually, that is a massively ignorant statement Brewbeer. Most of the combat in this game is rather simplistic. In combat being off by small distances doesn’t matter. General kiting required by 99% of the combat in this game does not require anywhere near the coordination of any of the jumping puzzles, even the “Space+W” as you’d put it.

Did you know you can dodge projectiles by moving out of the way? That requires more coordination than the FotM jumps. I’m not going to even talk about AoE circles, I mean, come on…

Why don’t you guys try getting better at it if you really can not do it. Saying you won’t get better at it is really meh. Take your time, use top-down view, etc.

(edited by Taikanaru.5746)

Posted by: Brewbeer.8239

Brewbeer.8239

It is not ignorant. Being able to press a sequence of buttons, such as 2+5+4+3 or time a utility ability to avoid a dangerous ability or aim aoe effects, requires more coordination and better motor skills than the jumping puzzles in FotM. None of them are timed. You can just point your character at the next platform, and press space+w. The jumps you have to make are not hard. They can even be done in combat. This means that you have a huge margin for error in them. I can understand people with disabilities having issues in timed puzzles such as the clocktower and griffonrook run, but not when they got all the time in the world to line up their character, and then make an easy jump.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Another advice I can give is to turn of ‘double tap to evade’ It allows you to more easily position your toon without dodging off the platform to your demise.

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

Non-issue. The jumps in FotM aren’t even equivalent to a mild vista. There’s no tricky angles or timing to consider; they all consist of simply moving forward and jumping onto generously sized platforms.

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

What I don’t like is some of the complete fail states these jumps will get you. I was in the Grawl dungeon today, and that if you miss a single jump for any reason, you’re dead and cannot regroup with your party to continue. And as such the rest of the group has to quit out to bring you back, or continue without.

It may be fine to say this game has jumping puzzles as part of it’s game, but it’s still jumping built into an MMO, and it’s not going to be a properly responsive system.

More importantly, the jumping puzzles elsewhere in the game allowed you to restart when failed, either by death or a path back to the start. If your only choice after a failed jump is to force everyone else to die to, then it’s just an unnecessary hindrance to everyone.