Why do people say rangers are garbage?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Just did a pug with 3 rangers in Arah and we didn’t even fail at Lupi. This wasn’t a speedrun but everything went fairly quick.

In other runs with guardians or warriors (despite there being video evidence of them killing lupi at alarming speeds in organized groups) we teamwiped on numerous occasions and I don’t think it’s a skill or communication barrier since PvE = cake. My main is an ele, mainly do tpvp/spvp and haven’t played in a month. Were rangers buffed? Where does all the ranger hate come from?

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

It comes from the players that camp longbow and give the class a bad reputation. Similar situation to staff necros.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

#bearbow

15char

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

It comes from a large group of people hating another large group of people and a small group of people being affected negatively by that hate.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Because their dps is in swords, but they just use bows because they dont understand their class.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

“But ahm a range-er!”

Charak.9761

This is a ranger, when was the last time you saw him with a bow?

Attachments:

Player Character.9467

This is a ranger, when was the last time you saw him with a bow?

Wat?

Attachments:

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Thing thing about Aragorn is he realizes when to weapon swap to a higher-DPS option

Attachments:

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I play and enjoy my ranger in dungeons but I know the limitations -
Pet dies too often in aoe fields etc. Losing or leashing pet is losing dps.
Really poor missile defense.
Too many static defense skills (spirits, traps) that get worse is mobile content.
Not enough options for condition cures.
A lot of weapon pairings are designed for PvP than PvE.
Assorted other pet problems.

Skilled rangers can get a lot done but probably not much more than a competent warrior.

Broadicea.8294

As long as they can do like half of the warrior’s personal DPS they’re still a party-wide gain from Spotter and Frost Spirit

Player Character.9467

As long as they can do like half of the warrior’s personal DPS they’re still a party-wide gain from Spotter and Frost Spirit

*depending on what they replaced and on what content

Player Character.9467

Thing thing about Aragorn is he realizes when to weapon swap to a higher-DPS option

Psh, when did you last see a zerker out dps a ranger? They even have to be carried

(edited by Player Character.9467)

Charak.9761

Yeah pet’s need a 90% reduction to aoe damage, similar to WoW fashion.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

As said above, rangers, just like engineers, have a bad reputation because most of players are noobs with these classes.
With rangers, you will mostly see stupid pew pewing with LB at max range, bringing 0 contribution to the group (max range = out of your party’s support and bringing 0 support to your team). Or the same with SB faster pewpew !
As for engineers its spam 1 Flamethrower x)

Broadicea.8294

Sounds like pets are getting a PvE HP boost on Oct 15th. Too bad Jaguar is the only one worth having out.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I can’t see it being a good change. Considering that PvE and WvW are balanced together, you can’t make Pets pro-tier in PvE without making them insanely broken in WvW. Same goes for Phantasms.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

PvE and WvW aren’t balanced together.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

/Thread

Howling King / Rumblus ? …. Get the bow so you can still stack VULNs while leading Adds into the fire Rings and not get chain stunned…. Everything else?? …Including Lupi? … go all melee and get good at it. Even Gandalf knew melee was faster against +6 Armored Troll and Legendary Balrog.

…The only one I’m not so clear on is the Rampaging Abom? Since we can’t permanently stow our pets or actively do so in combat (oh how I wish we could!), doesn’t that just give the Abom a bunch of frenzy? b/c our Pets won’t dodge its attacks?

(edited by ilr.9675)

spoj.9672

I didnt know people ranged howling king or rumblus. Ive also never seen any adds.

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

Upper left. Take a look at his title. He also had the pony shooter as offhand if i’m not mistaken.

Attachments:

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Player Character.9467

Upper left. Take a look at his title. He also had the pony shooter as offhand if i’m not mistaken.

Is it bad that I know the warrior you’re running with who has their commander tag up to make himself a special snowflake is in celestial gear?

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

What’s funny is that the ranger is camping at range and still has low HP.

Dungeon Master indeed.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Master Bear ftw.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I guess this kind of illustrates the general Ranger player mentality

Attachments:

Broadicea.8294

and he’s still getting hit by the tooth, one of the slowest and most telegraphed attacks in the game aashdfoiuhaiodhjo’;ls’d;[apkd[

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

Is it bad that I know the warrior you’re running with who has their commander tag up to make himself a special snowflake is in celestial gear?

Not that bad. Unless you do alot of dungeons with him, then it is pretty bad.

@Broadicea
He died twice, i think, and we had to activate the lasers 4 times that run. FOUR times.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

(edited by Oxxy.7068)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I guess this kind of illustrates the general Ranger player mentality

“princess cookie”

Here, have 100 man points.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

ilr.9675

OMG.. ..that’s a Bear isn’kitten … And his health is so low… ….all the way up there…

I don’t want to live on this Tyria anymore

I didnt know people ranged howling king or rumblus. Ive also never seen any adds.

Whichever one shoop da woops…
that’s the one with adds that pile up and knock puggers down. Don’t laugh, I’ve actually seen it fail b/c no one was dragging them back into the fires

(edited by ilr.9675)

spoj.9672

He dies before any adds spawn. :P

ilr.9675

Good for you, go make a video and start your own thread if you want to feel special for killing it that quick with your guild. …don’t talk down to me b/c normal teams I’m on actually benefit from doing the encounter the way it was designed

spoj.9672

Erm i do ac with 2 friends and we always pug the last spots. Dps is far from amazing. When AC was revamped the hp pools on the final bosses were set pretty low. Its pretty awkward when you completely miss mechanics even in a relatively poor dps setting. Which was my point.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Erm i do ac with 2 friends and we always pug the last spots. Dps is far from amazing. When AC was revamped the hp pools on the final bosses were set pretty low. Its pretty awkward when you completely miss mechanics even in a relatively poor dps setting. Which was my point.

I’ve gotten him down before adds became any sort of threat even in some (not all) full pug runs.. in full melee..

I don’t know what ilr’s definition of “normal” is, but to me it sounds like synonymous to “bad”.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I dunno why you guys are wondering why his health is low. Clearly he had tooth at one point. It looks like tooth switched to and nailed the warrior who is apparently on the Rhs of the map. And who started the “special snowflake” phrase? That meme spread like wildfire. Everyone is calling each other that these days.

Edit: its just a matter of teamwork, but, ya, sword in melee is better, but if someone isn’t comfortable jumping/using stairs, would you rather have them possibly die? At least hes staying alive, doing dps, and taking tooth aggro. Thats more than I can say of a lot of people in that path in PUGs lol.

Sometimes range works. TA is one place, this instance is another. Unless you’re rT and just going to ele FGS it down in 2 s, of course, melee away.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Sometimes range works. TA is one place, this instance is another. Unless you’re rT and just going to ele FGS it down in 2 s, of course, melee away.

We never used ranged in any part of TA and I and the people in my friendlist are not members of guilds like rT. The fact that you think that you need rT’s level of skill to melee everything in TA is.. uh.. depressing.

You should understand why nobody took you seriously and it took Guanglai and brazil giving ranger a try before people changed their mind on rangers.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Chopps.5047

Lol what makes you think I think that? Heh satire

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

I dunno why you guys are wondering why his health is low. Clearly he had tooth at one point. It looks like tooth switched to and nailed the warrior who is apparently on the Rhs of the map. And who started the “special snowflake” phrase? That meme spread like wildfire. Everyone is calling each other that these days.

Edit: its just a matter of teamwork, but, ya, sword in melee is better, but if someone isn’t comfortable jumping/using stairs, would you rather have them possibly die? At least hes staying alive, doing dps, and taking tooth aggro. Thats more than I can say of a lot of people in that path in PUGs lol.

“Special snowflake” has been around for at least the past half-decade. I’ve been using it throughout my tabletop roleplaying career.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Lol what makes you think I think that? Heh satire

Pic relevant.

(Also contains foul language.)

Attachments:

Chopps.5047

Ok since the joke was over your head let me explain it. rT was recently picked on for cleverly using fiery greatsword. They are known for extremely fast boss kills. My comment was saying, with satire, that unless you’re going for a speed clear, there’s not a thing wrong with a 1500 range longbow vs that particular lava boss. I have several sets of CoE gear and farmed that dungeon extensively. I even like longbow to knock alpha into corners to kick off fights but fighting alpha with sword is generally a good time, but lets get back the topic.

First off, I have both melee’d and ledge/longbowed that lava boss. Both are fine. Longbow is a little safer but actually does incredible damage with zerk gear. It’s really comparable to swors when at max range and it’s much stronger than people realize right now.

Or make fun of me for supposedly covering up some embarassing comment. Read sig: “tin foil hat hearer”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Ok since the joke was over your head let me explain it. rT was recently picked on for cleverly using fiery greatsword. They are known for extremely fast boss kills. My comment was saying, with satire, that unless you’re going for a speed clear, there’s not a thing wrong with a 1500 range longbow vs that particular lava boss. I have several sets of CoE gear and farmed that dungeon extensively. I even like longbow to knock alpha into corners to kick off fights but fighting alpha with sword is generally a good time, but lets get back the topic.

First off, I have both melee’d and ledge/longbowed that lava boss. Both are fine. Longbow is a little safer but actually does incredible damage with zerk gear. It’s really comparable to swors when at max range and it’s much stronger than people realize right now.

Or make fun of me for supposedly covering up some embarassing comment. Read sig: “tin foil hat hearer”

And your pet can’t damage the boss at all from there, and Longbow still does less damage than Sword.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Chopps.5047

Well this ranger is in bad position. If he or she was near stairs pet would have an easier time running down. Lava doesn’t kill the pet, it will keep bouncing off the shield if you target the boss, at least until the shield goes down. It’s quite elementary, my dear brazil. You are questioning people taking a safe route in a pug. That is like questioning why people take guardians in dungeons. :p

I’d say don’t longbow a boss ever except maybe this instance, imbued shaman, and enemies in TA. It’s acceptable and puggable, maybe not optimal. Of course, never longbow every boss.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Chopps.5047

Tl;dr

• there are more egregious examples of longbow/bear rangers to use lol

Broadicea.8294

There is certainly a lot wrong with ledge longbowing that boss. And it does not do “incredible damage”.

Chopps.5047

Max range longbow does too. It’s highest dps below sword. It beats greatsword if I remember right. For a casual player? Why not in this instance? Maybe this guy sucks at jumping. Obviously this isnt a speed clear so I don’t get the circle-kitten over how much this ranger sucks combined with the kittenhurt of me pointing out that really this is one place in dungeons, a single solitary place, where longbow shines. The average ranger PUG doesnt even use spirits or spotter probably so maybe we can start there and THEN teach melee range? Seriously, there’s a gap of knowledge bw experienced and inexperienced dungeoneers that could cause friction in a given group.

This is true of any profession and is the larger issue at hand. Teaching the buff/debuff strategies, etc. i was just complaining about novice engis, eles, and guardians in another thread lol. Every profession has those players.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Max range longbow does too. It’s highest dps below sword. It beats greatsword if I remember right. For a casual player? Why not in this instance? Maybe this guy sucks at jumping. Obviously this isnt a speed clear so I don’t get the circle-kitten over how much this ranger sucks combined with the kittenhurt of me pointing out that really this is one place in dungeons, a single solitary place, where longbow shines. The average ranger PUG doesnt even use spirits or spotter probably so maybe we can start there and THEN teach melee range? Seriously, there’s a gap of knowledge bw experienced and inexperienced dungeoneers that could cause friction in a given group.

This is true of any profession and is the larger issue at hand. Teaching the buff/debuff strategies, etc. i was just complaining about novice engis, eles, and guardians in another thread lol. Every profession has those players.

If the ranger is at 1500 range Spotter and spirits won’t affect the party anyway.

Chopps.5047

Yeah pretty much. Do you see an instance of spotter in the photo, sherlock guang? Hence my point.

Player Character.9467

Chopps I think people were more calling him that bad because not only is he bearbowing, he’s getting wrecked by the incredibly slow tooth attack while doing so. Either AFK or really really bad.

Broadicea.8294

nothing that teaches pugs that it’s ok to bearbow it up is ok

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Yeah pretty much. Do you see an instance of spotter in the photo, sherlock guang? Hence my point.

I thought your point was that you’d rather have a bearbow with Frost Spirit/Spotter than a melee ranger without. Except the bearbow’s buffs won’t affect anyone but himself, while the melee ranger will at least be meleeing.

If there’s going to be a middle ground, it’d have to be GS ranger with Spotter/Frost Spirit, or something similar. Given that ranger GS is 33% evade uptime just from auto-attacking and on top of that it has the equivalent of Shield Stance on a 15 second recharge, it’s an acceptable compromise.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

If only the Sword auto wasn’t such a PITA to use i’m confident the “Decent Ranger” population would skyrocket.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.