Why do you prefer pve over pvp?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

edit: some people for some reason think wvw = pvp, which is wrong… this thread is purely about pvp aka arena… i would love to hear your thoughts on pvp if possible

As topic says: why do you prefer pve over pvp?

What would you like to see in pvp that would make you want to do pvp more?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I prefer to fight actual scripted AI instead of real people that are worse than scripted AI.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

A consistent challenge. There’s a problem when scripted mobs offer more of a fight than 99% of PvP’ers do.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

I think it’s the consistency. I like to do one thing and try to master it. That is a less realistic goal in pvp.

[DnT]

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Not to say that this game’s PvE doesn’t need some retuning, but the PvP needs work IMO. I’d rather play games like dota 2 for my PvP fix.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

I like PVP, but all these unbalanced builds, or passive kitten like zoo necros/rangers and the condi spam meta just kitten me off.

Also, lag is far less forgiving in PVE and i’m getting LOTS of it in the last few months.

We need more challenging pve content. Even the gauntlet was great. Robert, where are you? ;_;

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I don’t like listening to a bunch morbidly obese neckbeards (that includes women) telling me to stack on the commander, I play how I want, yo.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Honestly for me its hit and miss. But constantly fighting the same builds gets pretty old pretty quick, the balance is pretty bad, aside from that i’ve been spending most time in WvW as of late.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Cynz.9437

I don’t like listening to a bunch morbidly obese neckbeards (that includes women) telling me to stack on the commander, I play how I want, yo.

pvp ment as arena not wvw

All is Vain~

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Because everybody plays the mindless meta … and then is bad at it so will lose to me even though I barely have a vague clue what I’m doing.

Dare I say PvE bosses are harder?

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

pvp ment as arena not wvw

I don’t like listening to a bunch morbidly obese neckbeards (that includes women) telling me what to do, I play how I want, yo.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

I enjoy both. What started out as a nice way to get gold for WvW has turned into a hobby that I consider myself fairly decent at now.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

You earn gold wayyyyyyyyyyy faster in PvE than you do in PvP.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Incidentally I don’t. I prefer WvW over PvE, while it has it’s short comings the variety that exists in fights you encounter is 2nd to none; zerging, solo roaming, havoc groups and genres born from WvW such as GvG. Getting back to the OP, this is why I don’t like sPvP and it’s conquest mode, variety is minimal.

I can understand when people talk of consistency. You would get that more from a dungeon than in PvP.

While doing dungeons you look can impose self-challenege and enhance your encounters, that is try to increase your dmg %, shave seconds off your best times etc. However, NPC AI is predictable yet some state that encountering a random player in PvP is less challenging? Perhaps it’s better to state ‘frustrating’.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

The Mexican Cookie.3690

However, NPC AI is predictable yet some state that encountering a random player in PvP is less challenging? Perhaps it’s better to state ‘frustrating’.

Less challenging is the correct word. Predictable AI are less predictable and more challenging than 100% of WvW players and 99% of PvP’ers.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Predictable AI are less predictable and more challenging than 100% of WvW players and 99% of PvP’ers.

That’s entirely subjective and not quantifiable at all.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: mahariel.4981

mahariel.4981

1. Lag from playing on NA servers would destroy me
2. I’m ****ing terrible at PvP
3. PvP makes me look ugly

Sanctum of Rall (NA) | [LOD]
Morrï Mahariel | Serah Mahariel | Morrï
A bunch of amateur solos from yours truly

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Predictable AI are less predictable and more challenging than 100% of WvW players and 99% of PvP’ers.

Pretty accurate demonstration of what happens when WvW players are caught without a blob. Against a PvE player, too!

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Great video, I had a good laugh.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is also a good demonstration of the typical WvW player.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Pretty accurate demonstration of what happens when WvW players are caught without a blob. Against a PvE player, too!

This was PvP (including WvW) day #2 and was lagging quite a bit (you can see skills blinking but not activating, or endurance going off too late.

As this has happened pretty often by now, even against guild groups, I can definitely say the required skill for WvW is lower than for PvE solo’ing.

Nevertheless, I don’t play any game mode the most atm, not counting being afk, as I’m a bit tired of what these offer.

PvP: Fun to set tactics, fun to closely win matches. Boring: Communication over direct skill, build over both. Spirit rangers, MM necros, Anti Condition Engis and Hambows should be removed.

WvW: Fun to win 1v2+’s or to just burst people down. Also fun to take on up to 10 people as a 4 men group with dedicated rezzing/poisoning/stomping. Con: Requires less skill than coordination, enemies clone themselves too fast (i.e. a 4v10 becomes a 4v20 right after a minute) and those ocassions generally don’t happen often enough.
Zergs should suffer of a -1% stat increase for every person participating.

1v1 WvW/PvP: Too easy.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nothing makes me love pvp more than when I win a 1v1 and I get a whisper saying “GO BACK TO PVE NOOB” plus a few expletives thrown in.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

By the way, we all in the forum should settle down on one single server to play on. Calling us Dungeon Forum Elitists [ban] and PvE zerg down our enemies in WvW.

They’ll learn how Berserker somehow isn’t trash, although that’s currently out of their brain reach.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I do both actually. I’m very high ranked on SoloQ, when you get to the top like that people actually offer some challenge.

In PvE dungeons unfortunately once you get all the mechanics it lowers the difficulty so much. Thats why I either kitten myself by soloing/duoing Arah or rotate back to tPvP when I’m feeling burned out.

EDIT: Apparently g)imp is a naughty word.

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

By the way, we all in the forum should settle down on one single server to play on. Calling us Dungeon Forum Elitists [ban] and PvE zerg down our enemies in WvW.

They’ll learn how Berserker somehow isn’t trash, although that’s currently out of their brain reach.

I really do wish the PTV blob meta would die already.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

i love the point that 1 single target can kill 5 of my friends and we need to team together to kill that monster. I love teamwork, not selfish playstyle. That’s why i like PvE over PvP honestly.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Id quite like us all to be on the same server so we can WvW. But i dont really want to leave gandara either. :<

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

hey I’m in gandara aswell spoj

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I like faceplanting to NPCs better dominating totally predictable mobs with big numbers because they won’t run away like real people do.

Am I alone?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

Nothing makes me love pvp more than when I win a 1v1 and I get a whisper saying “GO BACK TO PVE NOOB” plus a few expletives thrown in.

Attachments:

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Spamming 111 behind a blob and spamming 11 behind a corner is the same thing.Team Q pvp is probably the hardest content in the game.

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Omg I can see my name, famous

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Cynz.9437

thread is about pvp not wvw

you won’t see such low skill on high ranked teams in pvp

All is Vain~

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

You need to get a team, preferably stable and fixed with determined and motivated people. It’s much easier to just randomly run a dungeon. Another reason, conquest is basically a split game. Do you know how many new people liked splitting in gw1? Because from my experience most of them preferred standard 7v7 on the flag stand because it didn’t require from them to think that much. Same in gw2, you might have the most skilled players in the game but you will lose if you cannot split properly.

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

However, NPC AI is predictable yet some state that encountering a random player in PvP is less challenging? Perhaps it’s better to state ‘frustrating’.

Less challenging is the correct word. Predictable AI are less predictable and more challenging than 100% of WvW players and 99% of PvP’ers.

let us doubt your words.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its true though lol.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I don’t. PvE is almost disappointingly easy in this game and it’s obvious because everyone is forced to make their own fun in speedruns and kitten like that. There’s also, as is the common complaint, no PvE endgame. It’s just doing (not remotely fun or challenging) dungeons for practically no reason. How many times can you run Arah over and over again?

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Too much egoboosting and kittening in PvP. There’s still some of that among PvE but way less imo. Everyone have their definition of fun, and PvP just isn’t that fun considering how hostile some of the players can be.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

I don’t. PvE is almost disappointingly easy in this game and it’s obvious because everyone is forced to make their own fun in speedruns and kitten like that. There’s also, as is the common complaint, no PvE endgame. It’s just doing (not remotely fun or challenging) dungeons for practically no reason. How many times can you run Arah over and over again?

Yes I agree. It’s not only fairly easy, it’s also full of cheesy strategies like stacking. I am waaaaaaay more fond of PvP.

I also think it’s funny how some people said they prefer PvE because the PvP is “too easy” lol really?

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

I also think it’s funny how some people said they prefer PvE because the PvP is “too easy” lol really?

yes really

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

yes really

But uh…the difficulty of PvP is directly determined by who you are fighting. The only way you could think PvP is easier than PvE is if you only ever fight people in PvP that are worse than you.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

But uh…the difficulty of PvP is directly determined by who you are fighting. The only way you could think PvP is easier than PvE is if you only ever fight people in PvP that are worse than you.

Its directly determined by how much SoloQ wants to f you over and give you dumb teammates.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Skilled play isn’t as rewarding in gw2 pvp. Build usually matters more than skill. Then there’s luck factor. I get my pvp fun in other games better balanced for it. I don’t even do the pvp daily anymore.

I like rpg’s, fighters and first person shooters. This game gives me my rpg fix with some fun social interaction. But I prefer the balance of fighters and fps’s where all players have relatively the same tools at their disposal, not where some classes have a near insurmountable advantage right out of the gate.

(edited by laharl.8435)

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

If PvP is so easy you should probably join top end paid tournaments instead doing dungeons , you will get more money . Unless you are playing spirit ranger you will not have any chances against the people in those tournaments.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I need reliable internet to be good at PvP, being 1 second behind my opponent in a first person shooter is impossible, the same rule applies here.
Whereas in PvE slow, scripted attacks make the delay meaningless as long as I know it’s coming. That and lag spikes don’t (always) instantly kill me in PvE.

And of course class balance in this game is a kittening joke.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Ima leave this here. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/GZwMYXtz9eE

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Skilled play isn’t as rewarding in gw2 pvp. Build usually matters more than skill. Then there’s luck factor. I get my pvp fun in other games better balanced for it. I don’t even do the pvp daily anymore.

What? For as little skill as this game’s PvP might require (which I’d say is debatable to begin with), PvE lacks it twofold. Anyone who has a basic understanding of how to abuse poor AI mechanics can easily clear dungeons, no skill involved.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Oh man, that is top material right there.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Man those are some SICK HOTJOIN PLAYS

EPIC

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

What? For as little skill as this game’s PvP might require (which I’d say is debatable to begin with), PvE lacks it twofold. Anyone who has a basic understanding of how to abuse poor AI mechanics can easily clear dungeons, no skill involved.

I was referencing that comment to other pvp games I play, not to gw2 pve. Although I’ve seen plenty of skilled pve players, maybe you’ve just never seen one.