Why is skipping a problem again?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

This really confuses me. Why are people complaining about skipping mobs again? I really don’t see it.

If someone did a dungeon hundreds of times wants to skip mob because they just want the end loot, what are some legitimate reasons on why they shouldn’t skip? It’s no different than people running past mobs on world map or in WvW. If most players don’t want to farm every pack of mob for loot, why force people to?

Why exactly is skipping a problem again?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

It’s not. Some people just like forcing their playstyle on others.

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

It’s not a problem unless we’re talking about skipping a boss (in my opinion)
Some people just like to clear out every single mob they can find. It’s a matter of preference in playstyle.

Posted by: BlackPaw.5948

BlackPaw.5948

it’s not the problem.
The problem is players.

How to solve: Advertising that you would like(or would not like) to kill mobs/things when you recruit people for dungeons.

Problem solved. Done. Happy Ending.

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

and the fact that many people who skip also exploit bugs to get hte dungeon faster.
there is a mix of those who dont want to expliot bugs while doing a dungeon and those who as Lehova mentioned, the ones who want to force their playstyle on others that complain about skipping.

Bukkebruse.2810

As egoistic as it might sound, I don’t think you should advertise if you want to skip certain trash mobs in dungeons. The amount of people who want to skip mobs clearly outnumber those who want to kill every single trash mob.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I honestly do not see any problems with skipping mobs without exploiting (except Bosses that drop silver + a chest).

Now exploiting to skip is a problem.

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

it’s a matter of design of the game..

the design on dungeon mob groups generally need changes, data for this cannot really be gathered if people are all skipping the mobs.
that and it is the very same as simply just using a wallhack and going streight to the boss, it’s simply put makes the dungeons uninteresting, boring and blend to run..

on top of that people that run dungeons SUCK MAJOR BALLS!!! in general and they will never EVER get better at the game becouse they never actually do the encounters or the bosses, they learn to exploit and run and that’s it and its hurtfull for the gameplay experience of every one else which runs with these people becouse they are sooooo bad when they actually meet something which they can’t exploit/run… +they are breaking the game design thereby giving a false input of how people see the actual design becouse their input on forums as an example here is twisted becouse they never actually did the content sustantially to speak about what need tweaking, what was fun and what was boring after a while.

i could go on for hours, but i won’t people that think exploiting, running pass everything in dungeons, etc is totally fine are just as easy to talk logically with as if you tried to convince your cat that something was better then something else with logical argumentation -.-

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Much like the other recent thread that got locked, this not exactly going in a promising direction.
I think it might be a few weeks before you can ask this question honestly without it ending up as a lightning rod. It’s not likely people are going to be able to engage in a good level headed conversation with the posters clenching their teeth around every word.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

it’s simply put makes the dungeons uninteresting, boring and blend to run..

It’s just your opinion. For many people killing trash mobs is uninteresting, boring and blend to run

on top of that people that run dungeons SUCK MAJOR BALLS!!!

This argument really shows how intelligent you are. Do you really think anyone will care about your opinion when you write like that?

DancingPenguins.9875

Much like the other recent thread that got locked, this not exactly going in a promising direction.
I think it might be a few weeks before you can ask this question honestly without it ending up as a lightning rod. It’s not likely people are going to be able to engage in a good level headed conversation with the posters clenching their teeth around every word.

I’m honestly waiting for a single well written or reasonable post explain to me why just skipping packs of mob without using any exploit is somehow a bad thing.

All the posts about how skipping is bad seem to jumped or skipped over the part explaining why it’s a bad thing and directly to explaining why people shouldn’t skip. It just appears people forcing their play style on others.

The way I see it. All the trash obstacles can either be hopped over or dozed down, each suited to different styles of play. All of sudden in the last few days there came about this notion of this “clearing everything” “orthodoxy” of dungeoning. Just thought it’s strange and incomprehensible.

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

It’s just your opinion. For many people killing trash mobs is uninteresting, boring and blend to run

That would be the problem. Killing the trash mobs is boring and unrewarding, but skipping them is also boring and unrewarding. In other words, the parts between boss fights are so badly designed that most people simply don’t want to do them.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

DancingPenguins.9875

That would be the problem. Killing the trash mobs is boring and unrewarding, but skipping them is also boring and unrewarding. In other words, the parts between boss fights are so badly designed that most people simply don’t want to do them.

Personally, I find the mad dash and hide and seek part of skipping very enjoyable while spamming skills at mobs dull.

I would not mind having dungeons designed entirely around chasing down a running boss while dashing through a gauntlet of mobs and traps that involves more finesse than DPS the crap out of everything.

Imagine a longer, bigger, prettier Mad King’s Clocktower where you also have to chase down one single boss mob to complete and dodge occasional patrol packs.

How about a last stand dungeon of tireless waves of dredges surging over a keep wall you must defend utilizing kiting, stairs, terrain, and trenches.

These are much more fun than the current design of forcing you to fight trash.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Skipping is boring and unrewarding in a fraction of the time though.

Also, some people just like to complain about it because they feel like others should be forced to play the same as them.

Anet make Rev great again.

Bukkebruse.2810

Also, some people just like to complain about it because they feel like others should be forced to play the same as them.

Not skipping is just as unrewarding unless you value blues highly

Iehova.9518

I got three words for ya: Champion Destroyer Crab.

I double dare you not skip him.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I got three words for ya: Champion Destroyer Crab.

I double dare you not skip him.

and tell me it was rewarding and worth the time.

Added a little extra there.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

Personally, I find the mad dash and hide and seek part of skipping very enjoyable while spamming skills at mobs dull.

That’s a very embellished description of holding W while turning the mouse every now and then.

I would not mind having dungeons designed entirely around chasing down a running boss while dashing through a gauntlet of mobs and traps that involves more finesse than DPS the crap out of everything.

Imagine a longer, bigger, prettier Mad King’s Clocktower where you also have to chase down one single boss mob to complete and dodge occasional patrol packs.

How about a last stand dungeon of tireless waves of dredges surging over a keep wall you must defend utilizing kiting, stairs, terrain, and trenches.

These are much more fun than the current design of forcing you to fight trash.

Yes, that would be more fun, but unfortunately the dungeons weren’t designed that way. They were designed with the apparent intent of the players fighting through the trash mobs, but the fights are just so boring that people don’t want to do them.

Ideally, there would be dungeons with trash mobs that are fun and rewarding to fight along with different dungeons that have more of a chase/escape aspect. This would solve the problem where one or two players in a group are upset because they enjoy taking their time and fighting everything. Everyone picks the style they like instead of arguing about which is the “right” way to do it.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Wynne.3908

Wynne.3908

Skipping mobs can cause problems in a number of different ways. It can cause NPCs to bug or die or aggro the wrong thing at the wrong time. It can bug mobs and bosses into and THROUGH walls causing them to becom invulnerable/obstructed. In groups with people who don’t know the dungeon well, skipping and running through sections can be problematic, because not everyone is sure when to run and when not to, or where to run to and when to stop. This causes more deaths and running back and ressing, armor costs. Not to mention the frustration of trying to go faster, only to find your group is now in fact going slower.

Iehova.9518

That’s a very embellished description of holding W while turning the mouse every now and then.

Skipping trash involves slightly more than holding W and turning the mouse.

In groups with people who don’t know the dungeon well, skipping and running through sections can be problematic, because not everyone is sure when to run and when not to, or where to run to and when to stop

Communication, my good man. Never kitten u-me everyone knows everything and INSTRUCT your kitten group if they don’t know how to skip this pack or how to avoid that problematic mob.

Wynne.3908

I’m to lazy to “instruct them”. If they don’t know how to run i tell them we are fighting everything. Only when i am with a strong group (like my guild) do i feel totally comfortable running and skipping through dungeons.

DancingPenguins.9875

I’m to lazy to “instruct them”. If they don’t know how to run i tell them we are fighting everything. Only when i am with a strong group (like my guild) do i feel totally comfortable running and skipping through dungeons.

I thought this is an interesting point you raised that you consider your guild group strong. Your PuG is someone else’s veteran dungeon running guildie. Don’t understand why people always put their own little tribe on a pedestal when the main difference between most players is the level of communication.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Skipping is awesome, forces people to actually use dodge button and swap utilites when it’s needed. Try to skip from Alphard to Operative Brie with just a W button.

Iehova.9518

Then the problem is YOU.

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

As a player, skipping mobs is just fine and dandy, and just as good a way to get through the dungeon as any other.

As a designer, if people want to skip large amounts of content that you made, you have to look at it and say — why? Probably because it isn’t fun or time-effective, which means it could have been designed better.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Sometime Anet put big packs of mob that are made to be skipped like in CM path 1 and 3. If Anet truly didn’t want us to skip mobs, they would be doors or wall.

Skipping is awesome, forces people to actually use dodge button and swap utilites when it’s needed. Try to skip from Alphard to Operative Brie with just a W button.

Players don’t even bother with that, they simply exploit by using the big boat (basically, CM mountain little brother, except that it’s even easier to do). At first I was like “Hey, it’s like in CM, they place this boat to allow players to infiltrate the base” and then I saw missing textures and what not and realized that I wasn’t totally wrong, it was like in CM…it was an exploit.

Wynne.3908

I am not the problem. I always stick with the group and have a no-man-left-behind policy. Sometimes though, with the more inexperienced, it’s easier to fight your way through, rather than try to explain a long run through stuff they have never even seen.

I did not come here to pass judgment (or be judged) on people’s playstules, merely relate my experiences with skipping vs. fighting through dungeons.

My main point is, skipping can cause a lot of problems, moreso for the inexperienced, therefore I avoid it whenever possible.

I think this is an important thread at any rate.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Players don’t even bother with that, they simply exploit by using the big boat (basically, CM mountain little brother, except that it’s even easier to do). At first I was like “Hey, it’s like in CM, they place this boat to allow players to infiltrate the base” and then I saw missing textures and what not and realized that I wasn’t totally wrong, it was like in CM…it was an exploit.

I was talking about “legit” skipping, not exploiting.

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

Both sides could use that same argument.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Are you talking about the people forcing skipping on others, some of whome are fully capable of easily dispatching a few wolves playing the game normally (by not skipping it) but find great difficulty in running through the wolves and a bunch of knights and poisonous flowers because they don’t know the dungeon like the back of their hand and don’t play tanky characters with access to swiftness, stability, aegis, teleports and other skills which trivialise runs while they remain difficult for the rest of the party?

Or people who dislike waiting for that one person in their party who couldn’t make the run and died, when the whole party could easily dispatch the mobs killing them in half the time?

Honestly, skipping became the norm for the reasons Robert pointed out in his post (path of least resistance to the objective – wealth). Skipping, when done perfectly, results in faster completion times and all the desirable wealth (boss drops, chests and completion reward) being obtained. The problem is, many players don’t care about skipping, many don’t want to do it, but when the norm has become to skip, it’s assumed that skipping is the strategy to use. People don’t look for a group and specify they will skip stuff, we now have to specify we plan to kill Kholer because he is skipped so often.

It’s common to see incredibly long TA runs because players want to skip content resulting in many failed runs by one or two people, when the entire run would have been much faster had people spent 30 seconds killing a pack or wolves or a couple Nightmare Court mobs.

Skipping is a problem because people are forcing their play style (skipping content) onto others. Your post goes both ways.

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

So I could argue ether side of this discussion (and likely will).

Remember those open world BLUE skill point icons? Sure, big deal – beat this or that thing up and get a skill point. What if we got a token for it and could do it repeatedly?
Then it turns into: beatup/rinse/repeat – boring grind. Besides the grind aspect how are you going to feel when you’ve finally gotten enough tokens to purchase what you want? Was it hard? Was it a challenge?

Now apply the same concept to dungeons. If all we had were the bosses and removed the task(s) of actually having to fight our way to them the bosses become stale and boring as I described above.

IMHO: Having to fight through sections that may or may not drop anything to get to something that drops something I want makes the end result more valuable.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Posted by: Feanturo.2059

Feanturo.2059

Just make trash and bosses follow you infinite, and dont reset them on stealth (they just stay at the position were you stealthed).

Should make skipping a lot harder (there may still be ways) but this a rather good solution i think.
And let them drop something usefull mabe a higher dropchance for the dungeon related core´s or lodestones.

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

I thought this is an interesting point you raised that you consider your guild group strong. Your PuG is someone else’s veteran dungeon running guildie. Don’t understand why people always put their own little tribe on a pedestal when the main difference between most players is the level of communication.

Probably due to two reasons:
1) Guild groups often have some kind of voice chat which makes it easier to function as a group.
2) Guild groups often consist of people who have done dungeons together several times before and they have learned each other’s playstyles (an example of this in games with the trinity is that healers in a raid group often learn how each of them acts and can therefore be more efficient at it with timing and avoiding overheals, same principle to some extent in GW2 as well with boons, condition removal and even condition application)

I skip like a rabbit in a three leg-race in the dungeon paths I run often (skip, not exploit), some paths I do more or less daily and have been doing so for months so it’s just not interesting to kill trash mobs for worthless loot anymore. As the official response was, the solution is to make trash more rewarding/fun to kill rather than prevent skipping.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I personally feel that skipping is fine. I don’t do it often, but it really isn’t a big deal.

Except in some locations. Arah path 3 after you beat the first pair of bosses, you basically have to skip. Way too many high-powered mobs in a small area. It was probably intended that players run through there. Yes, you can fight your way through, but that section alone will at least double your run time.

On the flip side is Ascalon Catacombs right after the spider queen. That group of Gravelings can probably be skipped, but attempting that is more trouble than it’s worth.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

Shiren.9532:

The problem is, many players don’t care about skipping, many don’t want to do it, but when the norm has become to skip, it’s assumed that skipping is the strategy to use. People don’t look for a group and specify they will skip stuff, we now have to specify we plan to kill Kholer because he is skipped so often.

You only specify non standard requests. Non-skipping players are the minority and they should adjust. If most players want to skip why would they stop? Because there is a group that likes to kill mobs? So they may play with each other and the problem is gone.

It’s common to see incredibly long TA runs because players want to skip content resulting in many failed runs by one or two people, when the entire run would have been much faster had people spent 30 seconds killing a pack or wolves or a couple Nightmare Court mobs.

It’s not a problem with skipping but with people who don’t have the skill to do it correctly and lack of group coordination. When you skip, you skip as a group, if anyone fails the group fails – simple as that.

Skipping is a problem because people are forcing their play style (skipping content) onto others. Your post goes both ways.

Yet people who skip are happy with the current state of the game, anet says skipping is a valid tactic, maybe the problem are non-skippers who think every group will adapt their playstyle?

Just make trash and bosses follow you infinite, and dont reset them on stealth (they just stay at the position were you stealthed).

Should make skipping a lot harder (there may still be ways) but this a rather good solution i think.

Skippers would just use chars with a lot of stealth and skip anyway. The cause of skipping isn’t in the game it’s in the people and you won’t “fix” them.

(edited by Phoenix.7845)

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

I always tell people that I don’t want to skip anything. If they agree, I’ll join. Most of the time they run through mobs or skip bosses anyway, so I just leave the group. The players don’t listen, they don’t care. Why should I?
The best example is good ol’ Kohler in AC. They want to skip him or try to exploit him with this troll champion. Leave group, looking for better group.

Why don’t we give those speedrunners everything they want, so they can move on to the next MMO? Insta 80ies, achievement points per klick and make the legendaries drop from every mob.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I’ll never understand why people go out of their way to find the troll for Kholer.. it’s just wasting time. Kill Kholer legit and its faster and less of a kitten hassle.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Pinch.4273

Pinch.4273

The problem with skipping is that it’s too easy to do. Due to the nature of the game, mobs generally have slow, easily avoidable attacks. Combine that with the out of combat run speed boost, dodge, stealth, and projectile blockers, it’s very simple to just charge past a group of mobs without anyone taking any damage. On top of that, they reset, meaning you just have to keep running and you win.

If the mobs you aggroed didn’t reset, it would be better. I don’t think anyone wants to force you to kill all of the mobs in a dungeon, but you should at least have to fight what you pull.

As for skipping bosses, that should just serve as a sign that the players do not find them rewarding or interesting, and appropriate action should be taken by ANet.

(edited by Pinch.4273)

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

I can see both sides of the argument. When my guild does dungeons, sometimes we skip stuff, sometimes we kill things. If one person decides for the heck of it to charge into a group and swing away, the others jump in too. That said, I think you have to look at why we are doing a specific dungeon rather than any other content at that moment.

Usually a dungeon is done for some quick cash and specific dungeon tokens. It generally does not make sense to skip any boss lvl enemies that drop significant coins though as the amount earned is in good proportion to the time taken to kill them. But if the main goal is the tokens, why would anyone spend any more time in the dungeon than is necessary to get the tokens? Is the killing of mobs there any different than spending time killing mobs in the open world?

And on that topic, I would be curious to know if the main opponents of skipping ever run past mobs in the open world. If the answer is yes, then I don’t think they can argue against it in a dungeon. If they always kill every mob they encounter, then they have a position to agrue (albeit one that is in the significant minority).

(edited by JK Arrow.7102)

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I find a little common courtesy goes a long way to solving this problem.

If people want to skip that’s fine, but if you’re in a party and the other 4 players are not skipping certain fights you are not helping your group at all when you run ahead by yourself and stand there, and if you happen to die from it then lols on you. Also trying get the other players to stop what they are doing and move ahead because you want to skip a boss or a pack of mobs will probably get you considered for a party kick. If of course you engage in such behavior.

I find that skipping certain mobs can come back to bite your butt if you happen to die in the next area and have to run through there again. Or better yet when players wind up pulling the mobs into the next area and wind up fighting them anyway. I have seen plenty of skippings go really wrong. Skipping isn’t always faster or more efficient than a good clean quick kill.

I do agree though at this point people who are advertising for dungeons should make it clear what their intentions are. In whisper chat before a party is formed at the very least. Also if you join a group of players the first thing you should ask after a greeting the party is what kind of run they want to do, quick or not. It’s just courtesy, you should never assume that people like to play the same way you do. This will save both you and them time if your plans don’t match up.

If you’re already in the dungeon and you’re not sure then ask, “are we running this part or killing”? It’s a social game with party chat just ask and roll with it even if you don’t like the majority answer. It’s one dungeon run and after its over you can leave the party and never play with them again if you choose to do so.

Find like minded individuals in your dungeon runs tell them they play well, friend them and invite them to join you in future runs. I bet there’s even guilds out there that specialize in quick dungeon runs or their opposite as well.

(edited by MastaNeenja.1537)

Pinch.4273

And on that topic, I would be curious to know if the main opponents of skipping ever run past mobs in the open world. If the answer is yes, then I don’t think they can argue against it in a dungeon. If they always kill every mob they encounter, then they have a position to agrue (albeit one that is in the significant minority).

There is a clear difference between the open world and a dungeon, and it lies within their reward systems.

Dungeons are all about starting at point A, and ultimately getting to point B and killing a boss. You are rewarded based on an expectation that this will take a minimum amount of time. GW2 mobs do a very bad job at stopping you from running past them, so it is easy to get below this expected minimum. This leaves the reward-to-effort ratio very high, and this is probably not good for the overall health of the game. Dungeon DR working the way it does suggests that ArenaNet feels the same.

The open world rewards you in small increments. You generally have to do small things constantly to earn small rewards. For the most part, this involves combat. You are not usually rewarded for avoiding monsters. The only thing I can think of where that is not the case are chests, where you can double-tap your loot key to get all the loot and avoid the mob guarding it, but that’s more of a bug than anything.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

There is a clear difference between the open world and a dungeon, and it lies within their reward systems.

Dungeons are all about starting at point A, and ultimately getting to point B and killing a boss. You are rewarded based on an expectation that this will take a minimum amount of time. GW2 mobs do a very bad job at stopping you from running past them, so it is easy to get below this expected minimum. This leaves the reward-to-effort ratio very high, and this is probably not good for the overall health of the game. Dungeon DR working the way it does suggests that ArenaNet feels the same.

The open world rewards you in small increments. You generally have to do small things constantly to earn small rewards. For the most part, this involves combat. You are not usually rewarded for avoiding monsters. The only thing I can think of where that is not the case are chests, where you can double-tap your loot key to get all the loot and avoid the mob guarding it, but that’s more of a bug than anything.

I think it’s all the same. In the open world I too am going from point A to point B in order to achieve something. If my goal is to gather Ori in CS, should I fight every Risin on my way from node to node? I don’t see the difference.

Posted by: Tamachii.2918

Tamachii.2918

Forcing your playstile over other people doesnt look like a problem, its fun to kill trash mobs on the first time, but after the second, third and so on you want a way to make it faster.

Problems on dungeons are ppl wanting only xx classes nowdays.

Pinch.4273

I think it’s all the same. In the open world I too am going from point A to point B in order to achieve something. If my goal is to gather Ori in CS, should I fight every Risin on my way from node to node? I don’t see the difference.

Mining a node is different than finishing a dungeon, because a node is not adding currency to the game. Finishing a dungeon gives everyone a pile of money. Items have effective sinks (crafting), and everything is only worth as much gold as people can afford.

The only way to create currency in the open world is to kill mobs and complete events (which usually means more mob killing). Killing mobs takes more effort than not killing mobs.

Dungeons reward you for reaching an endpoint. Getting to this endpoint is easier and quicker if you don’t kill mobs. It’s the opposite of the open world.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There is nothing currently wrong with skipping if that is what the group wants to do. That said, I doubt that ANet intended skipping to be used to complete dungeon paths. However, they have neither made a statement against the practice nor revised dungeon mechanics to discourage/prevent skipping or encourage/enforce fighting everything. Until and unless they do, the practice is legit.

I do not like the practice, not because I give a rat’s behind about fighting the mobs, but because it produces yet another reason for the community to be divided. Unfortunately, some anti-skippers don’t seem to want to take the time needed to form a group which thinks as they do, but would rather enforce rules against the practice. Time is thus the real issue — the time needed to form a group from a subset of all who run dungeons rather than the whole population vs. the time of the skippers, who would prefer to spend their time doing things they don’t find as tedious as fighting every group in a dungeon path.

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Assumptions on anti-skippers:
They are usually the ones getting carried and have no clue about the mobs’ mechanics in question. One good example is the first trash mob group in TA. The groups I’ve had who insist on killing them consistently backpedal into the blossoms rather than kiting around in the same blossomless zone and fail to dodge/rally off blossoms and wipe. If you tell them to skip though they wouldn’t know how to use stability/dodge/stealth w/e mechanics to get past the mobs either.

I.e. they are players who have no idea about mob mechanics or even their own class mechanics due to lack of experience from braindeadness or simply haven’t run the dungeon enough to not find killing the same unrewarding trash mobs xx number of times boring.

They are also likely PVT/HTP/HPV users who relish on tank/support “roles” that drags the fights on and on.

If you want to kill all mobs and find it fun please do, just advertise that clearly when you form your pug since by majority votes in normal LFG teams, skipping will always be in favor.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

There is nothing currently wrong with skipping if that is what the group wants to do. That said, I doubt that ANet intended skipping to be used to complete dungeon paths. However, they have neither made a statement against the practice nor revised dungeon mechanics to discourage/prevent skipping or encourage/enforce fighting everything. Until and unless they do, the practice is legit.

They have actually given a response on the matter of skipping. If I remember correctly it was along the lines of them not going to change or add mechanics to prevent it but rather look at ways to make fighting the mobs more desirable. (Posting from my phone so can’t find the exact post but it should be on this sub-forum)

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

I believe you are referring to this:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Will-the-new-update-stop-skipping/page/1#post1205684

For those who are too lazy to click on the link:

Robert Hrouda:

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.
I can’t make the rewards from trash mobs so lucrative though that people just farm the first couple trash mobs/boss in a dungeon and then rinse/repeat. We encountered this when people just farmed the first boss in an instance and then restarted it (earlier around launch time), and we had to adjust the content as a result. It’s a fine line you have to walk to encourage players to get to the end, but make the process of getting there rewarding enough as well.

I don’t imagine this next update will resolve all the skipping behavior. The path of least resistance is engrained in people, and even if I do everything I could to incentivize people, there will still be those who skip stuff. I have been fixing exploits that will require players to complete more of the events in dungeons, but I am sure people will still skip what they can to get to their end goal.

For now I would encourage those not looking to skip to find some folks who don’t like skipping and make a guild with them… or maybe look for guilds that are dedicated to not skipping, and tag along with them. I’m in a couple of them (anonymously), and it really is an effective solution to playing the game the way you want to play it: Find other people with similar interests and band together with them.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

(edited by zencow.3651)

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I’m honestly waiting for a single well written or reasonable post explain to me why just skipping packs of mob without using any exploit is somehow a bad thing.

Fair enough, I guess.
But that’s kind of a misleading question.

Skipping is a symptom, not a disease.
It’s a sign that a large part of dungeon content isn’t entertaining and rewarding enough. How we feel about the symptom isn’t really relevant, because at the end of the day, no developer’s going to purposefully keep a large portion of dungeon content a boring and unrewarding experience just to maintain the status quo.

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

Gw1 players almost always skip mobs that’s the way it was and clearly will be. That’s just the way anet does things and they allow/promote it

Always in all ways