Why would you put important lore in a Raid?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Well screw it, no point in me arguing a point for a game I feel passionate about, obviously the devs don’t care and the community is toxic to change.

Just re upped my account and will start doing World Quests to get this games version of a Power Great Sword Reaper ready for 5 mans and later Raids, where there is more than one viable tank and where Reapers aka Death Knights have a place in the META.

Get a clue ANet and some day my money might come back your way.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Oldirtbeard/simple

There is more than one viable tank class but you won’t see it in PUGs as they try to optimize the group composition because you don’t know the players. Mesmers sacrifice less than other classes while tanking thats why they are optimal. viable != optimal.

There are rumors about the balance patch. If those rumors are true it will definitely change the meta.

I would love to see said rumors.

Same here. I really hope that we see some big change to kill that Mirror Comp ( like 10 man buff cap…. but that has some technical reasons, currently )

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Well screw it, no point in me arguing a point for a game I feel passionate about, obviously the devs don’t care and the community is toxic to change.

Just re upped my account and will start doing World Quests to get this games version of a Power Great Sword Reaper ready for 5 mans and later Raids, where there is more than one viable tank and where Reapers aka Death Knights have a place in the META.

There is more than one viable tank class but you won’t see it in PUGs as they try to optimize the group composition because you don’t know the players. Mesmers sacrifice less than other classes while tanking thats why they are optimal. viable != optimal.

There are rumors about the balance patch. If those rumors are true it will definitely change the meta.

Same here. I really hope that we see some big change to kill that Mirror Comp ( like 10 man buff cap…. but that has some technical reasons, currently )

I suspect we’d just see more eles or thieves stacked, but at least that opens the option for sneaking revenant back into the meta as well as solidifying the place of a guardian or necromancer in there. Engineer simply needs help (and to be fair so does necro).

I’m also wishing for the day where power ranger is not complete garbage and they remove the pet tax on ranger power weapon coefficients and base damage values since ranger condi weapons pay no such tax (their condis do as much damage and DPS as anybody else).

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

I suspect we’d just see more eles or thieves stacked, but at least that opens the option for sneaking revenant back into the meta as well as solidifying the place of a guardian or necromancer in there. Engineer simply needs help (and to be fair so does necro).

I’m also wishing for the day where power ranger is not complete garbage and they remove the pet tax on ranger power weapon coefficients and base damage values since ranger condi weapons pay no such tax (their condis do as much damage and DPS as anybody else).

For more than just Ele and Thief stacking, the balance team needs to work to see that this wouldn’t happen. If the dps builds of different classes are close enough then it shouldn’t be a problem and Anet should go for that.

Also raising the cap would allow for the second healer to be something different than Druid, like Auramancer or even Ventari Rev ( after some needed fixes xD ), you wouldn’t need a second chrono and a second PS and you can mix up the compositions a bit more.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Lastly, for your question: In a perfect world where resources are unlimited, I wouldn’t mind (even though I believe that it won’t do any help for those who want to learn raiding).
This is not a perfect world though, doing what you suggested could extent the period between Raids from 8 months to eternity.

I was expecting that answer.

My response is: From the perspective of someone who doesn’t go into raids very often, it’s all work that’s largely irrelevant to people who don’t raid. While it may not be entirely correct, it does appear as if raids were the reason why Season 3 didn’t start until the better part of a year after Heart of Thorns.

A lot of work has gone into the raids: they’ve made new maps, new mechanics, new models (some of which have been reused in Season 3), and so on. We’ve already got precedent in the form of challenge motes in Bastion of the Penitent, so implementing a method of making a raid boss easier or harder doesn’t seem to be a huge ask for them. Introducing easier mode motes or the like to the earlier raids probably wouldn’t take an excessive amount of resources (remember, in GW1 they managed to do a normal mode/hard mode split for the entire game - tweaking numbers really doesn’t seem to be the most time-intensive part of design) while it would open up work they’ve already done to be experienced by a greater pool of players… some of which might then progress into the original difficulty.

From a resources perspective, it seems to me like making a more accessible version of the raids is a low-hanging fruit.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Coconut.7082

Coconut.7082

I was expecting that answer.

My response is: From the perspective of someone who doesn’t go into raids very often, it’s all work that’s largely irrelevant to people who don’t raid.

From a perspective of someone who doesn’t PvP, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t PvP.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t WvW, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t WvW.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t do Fractals, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t do Fractals.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t do Open World, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t do Open World.
And the list goes on…

While it may not be entirely correct, it does appear as if raids were the reason why Season 3 didn’t start until the better part of a year after Heart of Thorns.

Do you have any proof for that statement? Anet clearly stated multiple times that the Raid team is separate.

A lot of work has gone into the raids: they’ve made new maps, new mechanics, new models (some of which have been reused in Season 3), and so on. We’ve already got precedent in the form of challenge motes in Bastion of the Penitent, so implementing a method of making a raid boss easier or harder doesn’t seem to be a huge ask for them. Introducing easier mode motes or the like to the earlier raids probably wouldn’t take an excessive amount of resources (remember, in GW1 they managed to do a normal mode/hard mode split for the entire game - tweaking numbers really doesn’t seem to be the most time-intensive part of design)

Unless you work for the Raid development team, I don’t think you can assume anything about the time it will take to implement an easy mode. As far as we know, it could take just as much as making a whole new raid.

From a resources perspective, it seems to me like making a more accessible version of the raids is a low-hanging fruit.

Another bold statement.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

From a perspective of someone who doesn’t PvP, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t PvP.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t WvW, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t WvW.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t do Fractals, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t do Fractals.
From a perspective of someone who doesn’t do Open World, all the work that goes there is largely irrelevant to people who don’t do Open World.
And the list goes on…

And ArenaNet has been doing things to give people more incentive to try different game types since GW2 released.

While it may not be entirely correct, it does appear as if raids were the reason why Season 3 didn’t start until the better part of a year after Heart of Thorns.

Do you have any proof for that statement? Anet clearly stated multiple times that the Raid team is separate.

Well, I did say “while it may not be entirely correct” and “appear”, so it should be obvious that I’m recognising that there may be more to it.

However…

Evidence point 1: LS3 did not start until after all three raids were released.
Evidence point 2: LS3 is explicitly set after the raid wings, suggesting that this was deliberate.

This does make it look like the raids were the reason for LS3 being so late to start. Sure, the raid team may be separate… but LS3 still needed to wait until they were done if ArenaNet wanted to avoid creating temporal paradoxes. And from an opportunity cost perspective… if there wasn’t a raid team at all, then the effort put into the raids seems like it would be at least equivalent to a Living Story release, possibly two.

(Now, I’m not saying that raids should be discarded. However, I do think making a more accessible mode for them would be better for the game as a whole.)

Unless you work for the Raid development team, I don’t think you can assume anything about the time it will take to implement an easy mode. As far as we know, it could take just as much as making a whole new raid.

Cross-posted from a similar discussion in another thread:

Resources put into building a raid:

1) Creating the maps. The cumulative size of the wings of raid 1 is about the size of a HoT map, albeit admittedly without the multiple levels.
2) Making the models for the enemies (although some can be, and are, reused).
3) Designing and implementing the mechanics.
4) Setting the numbers so that they produce the desired level of challenge.
5) Testing that the appropriate level of challenge has been reached.

Setting a different level of challenge is simply a matter of repeating step 4, and possibly 5, while implementing a method of selecting a level of challenge (motes!).

I’ve talked to people who are involved in modding and game design, and compared to steps 1-3, step 4 is low-hanging fruit (and step 5 can be done after release and feedback from the community). We already see it in Bastion with the challenge motes. Oh, and the entirety of Guild Wars 1 since the introduction of Hard Mode.

We can make informed estimates about the relative levels of work involved… particularly since we’ve already seen something similar done with the challenge motes in Bastion, which suggests that it’s not in fact something so hard to do that the opportunity cost is a whole new raid wing.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

And ArenaNet has been doing things to give people more incentive to try different game types since GW2 released.

There are zero barriers from ArenaNet to enter and try raids.

Evidence point 2: LS3 is explicitly set after the raid wings, suggesting that this was deliberate.

And you know that from? The next-to-last mission takes us to the location where Lazarus where. But we don’t know how long the first missions took. It is entirely possible that Forsaken Thicket takes place during the first episode, not before.

1) Creating the maps. The cumulative size of the wings of raid 1 is about the size of a HoT map, albeit admittedly without the multiple levels.

Setting a different level of challenge is simply a matter of repeating step 4, and possibly 5, while implementing a method of selecting a level of challenge (motes!).

I’ve talked to people who are involved in modding and game design, and compared to steps 1-3, step 4 is low-hanging fruit (and step 5 can be done after release and feedback from the community). We already see it in Bastion with the challenge motes. Oh, and the entirety of Guild Wars 1 since the introduction of Hard Mode.

We can make informed estimates about the relative levels of work involved… particularly since we’ve already seen something similar done with the challenge motes in Bastion, which suggests that it’s not in fact something so hard to do that the opportunity cost is a whole new raid wing.

No we can’t. Those motes don’t change mechanics, they just add some new mechanics to the boss. They don’t alter the damage, health or enrage timer. Everything has to be tested and tuned new for a easy mode. Reward structure has to be revamped.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

No we can’t. Those motes don’t change mechanics, they just add some new mechanics to the boss. They don’t alter the damage, health or enrage timer. Everything has to be tested and tuned new for a easy mode. Reward structure has to be revamped.

This is what many don’t get. Challenge motes do not change mechanics, they add new ones. It’s far easier to add a new mechanic to a fight than to alter a mechanic.

Also, when altering mechanics, tweaking some health and damage is also relatively easy, it can even be done automatically as seen in Fractals. Tweaking things like speed, cool downs and so on is much harder to balance on each level.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Have to love the selective memory, or intentional misrepresentation of facts, going on here.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

All story elements, cutscenes and lore can be found on youtube or wiki. You aren’t missing anything.

All game elements can be found on youtube or wiki. Does that mean that we don’t need to play the game anymore?

yeah
if you don’t want to play it, don’t play it
if you do want to play it, play it.

if you want the story but don’t want to play it, watch it, and don’t play it

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Relative to the main and sub story lines, there is no important lore in raids. The lore in raids is extra; following the plot of elder dragons and fractal exploitation does not require one to raid.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Relative to the main and sub story lines, there is no important lore in raids. The lore in raids is extra; following the plot of elder dragons and fractal exploitation does not require one to raid.

Saul was one of the most important Lore figures in Tyrian history, and Everything in Wing 1 through 3 is a prequel to LWS3.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Saul was one of the most important Lore figures in Tyrian history, and Everything in Wing 1 through 3 is a prequel to LWS3.

Yes, prequel. But concerning story advancement, only sequels matter.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Splitting hairs/being a little pedantic here.

Interesting story is interesting story.

And experiencing how something begins or getting a feel for greater meaning behind the storyplot most definitely does advance the story, btw.

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

yeah
if you don’t want to play it, don’t play it
if you do want to play it, play it.

if you want the story but don’t want to play it, watch it, and don’t play it

How about people who want to experience the story but don’t want to raid? Because, you know, Anet announced them just as the “challenging” PvE experience, but now they are putting essential lore parts into them. This is not something that they are promised before.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Splitting hairs/being a little pedantic here.

Interesting story is interesting story.

And experiencing how something begins or getting a feel for greater meaning behind the storyplot most definitely does advance the story, btw.

That’s fair but where does that end? How much of the history is Anet obliged to make available to players to get a greater meaning to the story? I don’t think the complaint is well expressed … if you don’t do the raid, you don’t ‘miss’ lore required to follow the story. I don’t believe that the lore here is important if you don’t need to know it as it directly pertains to the player.

Posted by: SorionHex.1327

SorionHex.1327

I don’t often agree with you, but I do agree with this one. The story is fractured enough seeing as no new players can play Season 1 at all. They boiled down the entire year and a half into a three minute video.

I’d like to play this stuff too, but I don’t want to raid to do it.

And for those of you who say going into an empty raid instance (which is problematical anyway) is the same thing, I can assure you it’s not.

Nor is watching a video on youtube.

I disagree that it’s as relevant to the lore as you claim. Saul’s current state actually has very little bearing in the grand scheme of things in regards to Living Story (The game’s main big story), and so in GW2, I can agree that this is yet another side story. We can’t just have kittenty awful stories in Raids. They might have maybe been able to do a new Fractal for it, rather than a Raid wing but eh.

Pretty much every MMO ties in their main story with Raiding content, I think the only problem is there’s no highly casual equivalent to Raids like WoW has LFR level raiding.

The simple fix for this is a highly unrewarding but easy/fair to complete Raid level for casuals who just want to get through the story (again like LFR in WoW.)

tl;dr: It’s not only fine for it to be in Raids, but it’s also the best place for it. The fix here is to add an LFR level raid instance for people who want to see the story and get small rewards (no Magnemite shards, or at most a super small amount for a successful completion for the week). Probably bosses at half HP and some reduced mechanics, also more merciful timing on mechanics.

(edited by SorionHex.1327)

Oldirtbeard.9834

I don’t often agree with you, but I do agree with this one. The story is fractured enough seeing as no new players can play Season 1 at all. They boiled down the entire year and a half into a three minute video.

And for those of you who say going into an empty raid instance (which is problematical anyway) is the same thing, I can assure you it’s not.

I disagree that it’s as relevant to the lore as you claim. Saul’s current state actually has very little bearing in the grand scheme of things in regards to Living Story (The game’s main big story), and so in GW2, I can agree that this is yet another side story. We can’t just have kittenty awful stories in Raids. They might have maybe been able to do a new Fractal for it, rather than a Raid wing but eh.

Pretty much every MMO ties in their main story with Raiding content, I think the only problem is there’s no highly casual equivalent to Raids like WoW has LFR level raiding.

The simple fix for this is a highly unrewarding but easy/fair to complete Raid level for casuals who just want to get through the story (again like LFR in WoW.)

tl;dr: It’s not only fine for it to be in Raids, but it’s also the best place for it. The fix here is to add an LFR level raid instance for people who want to see the story and get small rewards (no Magnemite shards, or at most a super small amount for a successful completion for the week). Probably bosses at half HP and some reduced mechanics, also more merciful timing on mechanics.

Be prepared for massive criticism, every raider in GW2 will come down on you like a sack of debris, even the suits that run ANet are not on our side; I’ve tried this line of argument before and have gotten no where other than retaliation. This thread I have created has lasted for the better part of a week and has addressed your concerns in a way that hasn’t been censored.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Be prepared for massive criticism, every raider in GW2 will come down on you like a sack of debris, even the suits that run ANet are not on our side; I’ve tried this line of argument before and have gotten no where other than retaliation. This thread I have created has lasted for the better part of a week and has addressed your concerns in a way that hasn’t been censored.

Nah, at least several dedicated raiders have admitted to hand out something like a story mode with restrictions. But only a handful of players who are complaining about the actual status have agreed to that. The guys crying the loudest aren’t the ones wanting a story mode only, they want to have access to the rewards.

I’m raiding myself and I am proposing a downtuned version of raids with rewards in the range of white stuff till rares, no magnetite shards, no badges (decorations for guild hall), no legendary insights, no ascended drops, no minis, no legendary armor and no access to the vendor.
Oh and I forgot: The development of such story mode should run on the cost of LS development (open world/LS team) so it is ensured that no raid content is denied or delayed at all.

Agree with me? If yes, I would also fight for “your thing”! If not, keep going without me.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

The main story of GW2 isn’t tied to raids and the story team doesn’t intend to ever progress the main story through raids. Their stance is that the story should be soloable.

The bolded part is just wrong.

The main story will most likely never take place in raids as GW2 is not intended to be raid centric as other games.
Right now raids are niche content, produced by a small team. Unless you are willing to transfer some ressources from other aspects to raids there is no reason to ever add something so time consuming as another difficulty level to raids.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Really, the reduced mechanics thing is the main issue. Most people are able to deal enough damage to deal with most bosses (which is also why I haven’t bothered with getting a DPS meter). The real issue that makes raids irritating is people not dealing well with mechanics that require relying on other people that all too often aren’t able to do it.

For instance, an LFR Slothsazor:
- Transformed Slubbling is invulnerable.
- No cooldown on transformations per person
- Poison applies to every person, but it will only damage the person that it’s associated with, and once you get a person that was downed by it back up, the poison corresponding to them fades.
- When mushrooms in his location re-spawn, regardless of fixation, Slothsasor moves to the nearest unpoisoned spot.

So people see the mechanics without everyone needing to have mastered them. It would be effective for teaching raids too, since the mechanics are still there, but they’re mostly personal rather than group wide. Essentially going from “One person screwing up can kill you all”, to “One person can carry everyone.”.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And the list goes on…

Well, I did say “while it may not be entirely correct” and “appear”, so it should be obvious that I’m recognising that there may be more to it.

However…

Evidence point 1: LS3 did not start until after all three raids were released.

This does make it look like the raids were the reason for LS3 being so late to start. Sure, the raid team may be separate… but LS3 still needed to wait until they were done if ArenaNet wanted to avoid creating temporal paradoxes. And from an opportunity cost perspective… if there wasn’t a raid team at all, then the effort put into the raids seems like it would be at least equivalent to a Living Story release, possibly two.

(Now, I’m not saying that raids should be discarded. However, I do think making a more accessible mode for them would be better for the game as a whole.)

Cross-posted from a similar discussion in another thread:

The first three raid wings were developed (mostly) before HoT released. They already had the story established for them and players were testing them.

LS3 released much later because each episode has a six month development schedule. The first two were pushed back a little because everyone was working on that April update.

Oldirtbeard.9834

Nah, at least several dedicated raiders have admitted to hand out something like a story mode with restrictions. But only a handful of players who are complaining about the actual status have agreed to that. The guys crying the loudest aren’t the ones wanting a story mode only, they want to have access to the rewards.

I’m raiding myself and I am proposing a downtuned version of raids with rewards in the range of white stuff till rares, no magnetite shards, no badges (decorations for guild hall), no legendary insights, no ascended drops, no minis, no legendary armor and no access to the vendor.
Oh and I forgot: The development of such story mode should run on the cost of LS development (open world/LS team) so it is ensured that no raid content is denied or delayed at all.

Agree with me? If yes, I would also fight for “your thing”! If not, keep going without me.

That’s all I want, I don’t give a kitten about Legendary Armor.