Your best LFG reads and puglife stories

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

(…)
Sorry i brought it up, back on track:

“Sell AC Story 1,5g, Boss @0,1%”

As far as I know, not only it’s perfectly possible to get him to low health and AFK near him.

It’s harder than you might think!

For a while I was soloing this daily to give away to leveling guildies, until I got fed up with losing my instance to my regular DC’s (grrr….). A couple of times this happened (see image).

Rytlock will kill Adelbern for you. I ended up DC’ing in this instance before Adelbern died, but Rytlock had gotten him down to 80% HP without taking any damage. Funniest thing I’d ever seen in this game xD

Attachments:

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

this name inspired so much confidence in me. http://s3.postimg.org/tvn1ylnb7/screenshot_2015_03_05.png

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

this name inspired so much confidence in me. http://s3.postimg.org/tvn1ylnb7/screenshot_2015_03_05.png

omg. This guy is brazen af. Gotta hand it to him for getting all the way to lvl 72 and 4K AP with that acct name.

DonQuack.9025

And yet ripip Panties and stuff is deemed all the more offensive, despite wearing something they made and that had to be bought with rl money.

Im so triggered right now.

Posted by: Taury.7108

Taury.7108

That moment when P4 sellers decide to take a lunch break..

Attachments:

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

“melee only” (my mesmer got kicked…with s/s equiped hmmm)

“engi only speedrun”

“FULL ascended/LEGENDARY!!! ONLY PING GEAR” (lol? I guess someone might have a legendary with no ascended but..)

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

(…)
Rytlock will kill Adelbern for you. I ended up DC’ing in this instance before Adelbern died, but Rytlock had gotten him down to 80% HP without taking any damage. Funniest thing I’d ever seen in this game xD

Your Rytlock is much op. Mine is a loser. He could have literally swung his kitten sword a single time to finish that silver mob (see the screen). He went AFK though and so did Eir.
(Don’t ask how I managed to die there, I don’t recall it myself.)

Edit: To not be completely off topic, I will share this recent story with you. I was pugging fractals, low level for daily. I got pretty decent group, 3 guys from a single guild and 1 guard from another one. As we got to a second map (hammer), I started paying more attention to how the guys were doing. Apparently, the guard was the only one using proper food (others had magic find, yaaaay) and he was doing very well, so I was glad we got him there. After a short while (for no reason, everything was going as usual) he left (but I suspect he was rather insta-kicked) to make place for another person from their guild – a ranger, who joined almost instantly. I was kinda afraid when I saw his 3 signets, but I decided to give him some time, he still might have had his PvE roaming set. Well… when he caught up with us, I had the pleasure to see his mighty bear. And spotter was obviously non-present. His terrible build wasn’t compensated by good play or knowing the encounters either, because when we arrived at Archdiviner and stacked to kill the trash mobs, he YOLOed out and aggroed him prematurely. Since the rest of the group was decent, I took my chances and finished the run with them (I was lazy to find another group), but I was constantly afraid of being kicked to make space for another kitten fullsignet bearbow. I mean… who does that? They had perfect guard who made no mistake throughout the whole run a took that scrub in his place. I wouldn’t do that even for a guildie, I would actually instantly kick him to make space for a pug, even the most terrible ones are usually better than this.

Attachments:

(edited by Tarasicodissa.7084)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Oooh, I’ve got some.

Was pugging COE and at the golem boss someone remarks that our dps is weak. I mention that I’m full berserker except for runes. One of the warriors says that he’s wearing Giver’s. Giver’s. We all laugh, cause this has got to be a joke. He then informs us that he doesn’t like running with zerkers and straight up quits the party.

In another COE pug, we lost our 5th halfway through, so we post. A 1k AP Necro joins, so the leader whispers and asks if he knows the dungeon. No reply. We ask if he hasn’t gotten the whisper or doesn’t understand english in both party and then open chat, still nothing. We continue anyway and out of the blue dude is like ‘Jeez, do you have to be so kittening anal about it?’ /kick.

True stories. #puglife.

DonQuack.9025

In another COE pug, we lost our 5th halfway through, so we post. A 1k AP Necro joins, so the leader whispers and asks if he knows the dungeon. No reply. We ask if he hasn’t gotten the whisper or doesn’t understand english in both party and then open chat, still nothing. We continue anyway and out of the blue dude is like ‘Jeez, do you have to be so kittening anal about it?’ /kick.

True stories. #puglife.

I feel as if thats majority of the general forum. and a significant amount of people that complain about getting kicked.

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Laulajatar.4253

Laulajatar.4253

Not sure if serious ...

Attachments:

This is no signature.
Cloud of Sparrows [CoS]

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

99% chance it’s rezardi

if he still plays

REZARDI ARE YOU THERE

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Yesterday I saw a “lvl 49 Volcanic boss, need a miracle”. There were 4 guardians in that group

I guess someone might have a legendary with no ascended…

BTW I had 2 legendaries (twilight + kudzu) before I did have any ascended gear (excluding full jewelry).

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

Yesterday we only had 3 people and were pugging the last two spots for a short tour. When we got to CM we started p1, thief did the basement, listed the lfg, and were waiting outside the barn before Morgan.

An ele with 5 digits worth of AP joined and entered, and promptly died somehow. Turns out they wandered into the basement, and then proceeded to kitten us out royally for not specifically telling them that none of the mobs were dead and the basement wasn’t cleared. I dc’ed shortly after that so I lost the party chat and the hilarious whispers that ensued.

If only this game had minimaps with giant red circles and dungeon event dialogues on screen…

Zelendel

Posted by: Laulajatar.4253

Laulajatar.4253

If only this game had minimaps with giant red circles and dungeon event dialogues on screen…

That would be really helpful, right?
Usually I end up porting back to the WP two times, picking up the pugs after the second death in basement and some don’t even manage to follow me.

Did a daily lvl 1 yesterday. The guy carrying the hammer LEFT the party and took the hammer with him. Then the first timer was hitting the last seel at Archie with hammer skill 1 for a minute xD

This is no signature.
Cloud of Sparrows [CoS]

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

I can’t even.

Message Body length must at least be 15.

Attachments:

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

I’m back from a six-month break and for the most part dungeons/fractals are the same. However, I’ve been keeping track of differences in the (apparent) meta by the number of times I get stealth-kicked from groups.

Champ Icebrood in HotW: always a straight-forward melee. Some downs on weak pugs, but just a speed bump. Still is, but apparently the meta is terrified of him now. As warrior, didn’t have my ranged gear and was stuck in combat. Took me by surprise, and I tried to get out of combat to swap. I was down in the boss area, away from combat, waiting to swap. Stealth booted, because P1 is serious business now.

Couple fractals stories. Just today, 38, at swamp. Ranger. Popped in as a 5th, team is waiting at the water fork. Rushing to get there, changing skills. Finally ready. Mossman. Join group in water. “Um, are you taking that signet?” Considering, like most people, I never do water combat, I like speed. Not expecting water fight. A bit dazed,, apparently I took 10 seconds too long to answer. /kick before I could even reply.

Jumped into next group; Mossman again. Honestly, I’ve done a weird glitch where he gets stuck in water (party fights on ground), but never seen it work with party in water (why? just why?). Group decides to run him “legit”. Shockingly, we weren’t a terrible group and so we had no trouble.

On a lighter note, the other day, waiting on a 5th in swamp, needed a guard. Mesmer pops in: “I have reflects like a guard =)” Someone else: “and Aegis?” /kicked. Honestly, I had to give them credit for trying

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

On a lighter note, the other day, waiting on a 5th in swamp, needed a guard. Mesmer pops in: “I have reflects like a guard =)” Someone else: “and Aegis?” /kicked. Honestly, I had to give them credit for trying

The poor mesmer just wanted to fit in

On topic: I remember joining a group at tar in arah 1 a while ago, who must’ve been tired of waiting for decent players because their LFG said

“arah 1 zerk only at tar, 3 tries to make the run or kick”

the players did, in fact, count aloud the number of attempts each later pug took, and would kick when the pug got to 3, I wasn’t sure whether to feel amused or sorry for them.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Had a warrior in fotm 50 today without enough AR who was running shout heal sword warhorn longbow tell the rest of the group they didnt have enough damage and that they werent skilled enough to just kill the mob after the tunnel in molten furnace without losing. He kept aggroing and just whirlwinding/ aoeing with his longbow while the rest of us tried to stack in the back. He finally listened and it was finished in seconds…funny stuff as usual

DonQuack.9025

This wont get you kicked. Surely.

edit

Un/fortunately it did.

Attachments:

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

This wont get you kicked. Surely.

http://s3.postimg.org/bhi1b3y9v/screenshot_2015_03_16.png

Un/fortunately it did.

cant see…

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

who was running shout heal sword warhorn longbow […] whirlwinding

wat

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Today the joys of LFG left me as a mesmer with 4 warriors in SE3.

A banner of tactics between them.

#puglyfe

Posted by: Tsuki Hitotsu.2097

Tsuki Hitotsu.2097

So, this just happened!

http://i.imgur.com/KEDoGcj.jpg

I’m red, grey was the last one remaining and white were the ones who just left!

LFG’s for gear check on guard, gets a perfect full zerk one and then they instantly all leave. Either I’m too perfect for their LFG, or I have some enemies I never heard about XD

Morte.5916

For just a moment, this got my anti-mesmer prejudice alarm going of..

Attachments:

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

So, this just happened!

LFG’s for gear check on guard, gets a perfect full zerk one and then they instantly all leave. Either I’m too perfect for their LFG, or I have some enemies I never heard about XD

Maybe they expected you to have full clerics gear or something =P Happened to me in fractals the other day.

The lfg description read something like “lvl 10 daily run – NEED SUPPORT GUARD”, four warriors already in the group (which should have been telling enough tbh).
I joined them for kittens and giggles and asked what exactly they meant with “support guard” to which one guy simply replied “healing”.
I was about to explain to them why you shouldn´t ever need a guard speced for healing in lvl 10 fractals, but then I just left with the remark that I´m not the kind of guard they were looking for.

Sometimes I´m just too tired for puglife =(

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

So, this just happened!

I remember a time in gaming when everyone was relieved to get that last needed class in the group.

But really, gear-checking tells me how I can expect to be treated in a pug; instant ignore for me

DonQuack.9025

Currently in a teaching group led by a lvl 59 3kap thief..
a lvl 59 3k ap p/p thief.
a lvl 59 3k ap p/p thief who doent use smoke screen and is teachging latest speedrun tactics.

LATEST Speedrun tactics.

LOLs nonstop

Lorgus.6148

Currently in a teaching group led by a lvl 59 3kap thief..
a lvl 59 3k ap p/p thief.
a lvl 59 3k ap p/p thief who doent use smoke screen and is teachging latest speedrun tactics.

LATEST Speedrun tactics.

LOLs nonstop

Did he teach you the latest “unload from a fire field for max damage” meta strat?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

My PvP friend would often troll me by bringing his lava tomb to my speed run group. Not like he lacks DPS or anything, he just trolled me by purposely going into down state to deal damage. P/P thief is one-shot wonder in PvP. They don’t have a shred of sustain DPS, sadly.Yet people fail to understand how it has no chance in PvE.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Avacado.9614

Avacado.9614

I would like to share my PUG experience from yesterday. I posted AC LFG “p3 experienced”. My ele was only lv 62 at the time. Got four 80s and it was the smoothest run eva (for this account anyway)! I was the only ele and they noticed I was blasting might and asked if this was an alt account since I only have 300 AP and yes. Towards the end I ask if they all want to do p2 after and only one person stayed.

I post LFG “p2 experienced” and got all lowbies (engie, guard and mesm ). The 80 warrior decided to leave since he was pressed for time. So I wait for group to fill again and got another 80 warrior (no strength or discipline banner and it turns out he had ogre runes so hello rock dogs xD) and another engi. I ask in party chat if anyone ran path before…nope. At that point I hesitated and was ready to leave but I said heck with it since I have nothing better to do. With little group dps and little profession knowledge, it was one of the slowest runs eva! I tried to share what I know but one person explaining on chat is not enough x__x. Mobs were agroed and events started before I could explain what is going on and what the strategies are. After our nth wipe (lost count but someone lost their pants, lol) I was almost ready to quit but stayed since these guys (even if they didn’t know kittens about the path) were fun and had good attitudes and I was a total noob once ;n;. I thought the breeder part was a real challenge but We got ganked especially bad by the ghosts and they kept rezzing Detha as apparently my message to not before we killed off ghosts got lost in their chat window x__x. I didn’t even bother insisting on a strategy at that point. They surprised me that we were able to charge all the traps in a decent amount of time even with the rock dogs spawning ;^;. Our mesmer had to g2g sleep after we wiped at Ghost Eater. I reposted “P2 at boss”. Got another 80 warrior and we finally finished the dungeon 2+ hours later, lol.

#YOLOPUGS
#NOLIFER
#INEEDBETTERTIMEINVESTMENT/#NEEDGF
#GAMER4LIFE

Posted by: stachekiller.2591

stachekiller.2591

I joined an Arah “P1 exp” run yesterday. Exp meant they were looking for someone experienced to carry them apparently (necro, war, ele and ranger) and I barely qualify. On thief I attempted to stealth them to ooze, but no one blasted smoke fields nor provided swiftness at any point so it took us three attempts to make the run. Not too bad, right? At least they were nice people…

While I am explaining how the ooze works the ooze gets pulled. Despite multiple requests to melee, the warrior and I are the only ones meleeing which makes the bounces much more difficult. Somehow we pull it off without wiping…. again, not too bad.

Now for the rough part….. I tried to stealth the group to run to entities, but no one could make it for any amount of time when not fully stealthed. Like somehow in the 3 seconds of running without cover they would aggro and get downed. Over the course of the next 30+ minutes I ran 1 person at a time to the entities including needing to stealth rez a couple guys right near the end. The ranger kept running out of SR early and for no reason at all shooting stuff during the skip…. but we all finally made it.

I explained how the entities worked and said lets just not aggro too many and it should be easy. I went to the first light and said wait here for the fight to start. Instead they followed me to the Jotun and immediately aggroed the drakes. Me and the necro fought the entities while the other three fought the 2 drakes and 2 of them died.

We ran to tar and I explained the fight and the need for burns and ideally reflect/projectile defense… no torch for ranger, warrior didn’t know about long bow, but we can pull it off with ele I figure. I stand on the part where we are going to pull the tar after he spawns and explain the four fountains and to run back here when he appears. Before we can even stand on the 4 fountains, somehow 2 people get downed by the mini-tars. We rez them and spawn Shoggroth and then 3 people fight him and wipe in the middle of the floor while I yell “here” from the spot I had showed them a full 1 minute earlier. We didn’t have enough burns to 2 man him so we all wipe…. I couldn’t bear the thought of skipping everyone again so I left.

tl;dr; pugging Arah is not good for your blood pressure

Lorgus.6148

snip

Wow, ouch!
I would have left when the skip to ooze proved troublesome, but I guess you’re more patient than I am.
Also it’s astounding how few pugs realize how shadow refuge works, I swear if everyone actually manages to stand in it for the full duration, I marvel at the rarity of the occasion.

DonQuack.9025

This forum needs betterbattlelog functionality.

Two in one.

Attachments:

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Two in one.

Wow, that **** has logged off name…

Posted by: Jerkops.2796

Jerkops.2796

This was interesting to see in LFG
http://i.imgur.com/G8GaHew.jpg

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Two in one.

A buddy and I did something similar with a low-AP ranger that joined our CM run a while back, except that neither of us wanted to take the bet that they weren’t a bearbow.

MFW panther and sword \o/

Lorgus.6148

This was interesting to see in LFG
http://i.imgur.com/G8GaHew.jpg

Probably a joke, I post ridiculous LFGs like that when I’m with a guild group and we don’t really need a 5th, just to see what people’s reactions are.

Morte.5916

kitten ed if you do, kitten ed if you don’t.

First thief left at 9:27 and second joined at 9:29

Attachments:

Posted by: Bohantopa.5729

Bohantopa.5729

I believed most bearbow stories to be focused on dungeon and low level fractals.So far all rangers I ran into at high level fractals were experienced, used traits, gear and pets appropiate to the situation. Not today.
I joined a fractal 50 group as a guardian, it allready consisted of a ranger, mesmer and warrior, while in the loading screen a second ranger joined the group. I dont have a problem with suboptimal groups as long as everyone is doing their “job”. While I was setting up my skills for double wall I glanced at the rangers buff bar, both had signet of the hunt, one also signet of stone. “Maybe they are underwater, most people dont have their underwater skills set up for max dps” were my thoughts till i saw them allready engaged to Bloomhunger. I should have left at that moment. The mesmer and 1 ranger died in the first 10s of the fight (not due to agony, so they had ar at least). The warrior managed to hold on till bloomi was on 50%, the other ranger shooting his longbow from max range managed to make it to about 15%. I tried to get it down and when it had only pixels left, i relaxed and promptly missed a dodge. Second attempt worked somewhat at least, both rangers down before 50%, but the mesmer, now using gs, was close enough to rez them.
Second fractal: harpies. Wanted to double wall again but they engaged so fast that i was locked in traits. Managed to get through and engaged the foursome. That went suprisingly well, except for all those knockbacks (2 rangers and 1 gs mesmer destroy 5 stacks of defiance really fast). At Old Tom I was actually happy, both rangers had some type of bear outside from time to time, so I hoped for some tanks to stand behind. We engage and I see 1 dog … the second ranger kept his pet close to him. With a little luck and after the first pets died it was finally possible to kill the boss from melee. The asura took 2 tries due to knockbacks placing the golems all over the area, could not hit all with gs pull.
Third fractal: Thaumanova. I went low, 3 went high, 1 switched to low midway. We killed the skritt, the 3 wiped. At ooze I specifically said “no cc, so the warrior can use signet of might and fear me” and what do I see 5s into the fight? 5 stacks of defiance. Wiped once, managed to get the defiance down, engaged again. Somehow the damage was low. When the ooze went into shield and got feared into a wall at about 30%, I expected some sort of burst. I looked around: only the warrior and me were fighting the champ, the rest were having fun with far away small oozes. Barely managed to get it down before the next shield phase. At the dormitories we rescued to npcs to get the damage buff, i soloed a door before the rangers together opened theirs. Rest of the fractal was uneventfull.
Boss fractal: Mai Trin. It went as expected. The rangers standing as far away as possible making it near impossible to remove her stacks, complaining that Mai always teleports to them. We only managed to get it done because it bugged in the last phase and we could rez inside twice. Had allready managed to get all her stacks of solo but I always forget to not place myself in between horrick and the center of incoming fields, first time I was the only one who got up fast enough, second time we were two and managed to get her down.
During the whole run, whenever I looked at the buff bars, the signet of the hunt was visible on the rangers, sarcasm on the passive must be such a damage/survival boost.sarcasm off
This was my bearbow experience today, it was not the only thing off in the group. The mesmer ran signet of inspiration and at the asura i noticed that he was also not running time warp but mass invisibility, not at the harpies (or at least he did not use it there) but at the boss. The warrior was OK, he ran a ps build and kept might up high enough even if he only placed one banner.

edit: Oh boy i did rant for a bit.

(edited by Bohantopa.5729)

Posted by: Sera.6250

Sera.6250

Level 50 fractal, get inquest fractal

guy picks up a cooling rod

“What’s this for?”

it’s a suppository dude

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Whow … and here I was afraid of pugging high-level fractals because I wasn’t sure I knew enough of them to perform to other people’s expectations …

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Level 50 fractal, get inquest fractal

guy picks up a cooling rod

“What’s this for?”

it’s a suppository dude

On the other hand, I got kicked from a PUG upon joining the group the other day even tho I’m a full ascended/legendary zerker ele with all weapons, potions, food and personal utility items such as harpy feathers, etc. I’ve done lvl 50 many times before and know how to play all of them. I got kicked because my AP wasn’t high enough :-)

I hope that group spent hours in there :p

Posted by: klemen.8439

klemen.8439

I can’t even.

Message Body length must at least be 15.

This is probably my lfg lol.

I always do it like this:

READ: Gearcheck – 1x phalanx war, 2x dps ele, 1x guard – metazerk + food, exp pplz – x path

(Classes change depending on dungeon and amount of friends/guildies tagging along).

You might laugh but it’s actually the most efficent way to find PUGs from my experience.

Playing as a ranger myself, filters out all those unexperienced “all warrior elitist wannabe mlg pros” and gearcheck filters out anyone who wants to get carried.

The way my LFG is written usually attracts people with ~15k AP in the average (based on doing it the same way for past few months), 9/10 times, people actually know what to do and 5/10 times, we do a full dungeon tour – for example, just today, we did a dungeon tour in under 2 hours (AC123, SE13, COE123, COF1, TAupfw) with everyone being a complete stranger to one another.

Not to mention that 7-8/10 times people who join are fully ascended which is individually 7.48% damage boost but in a party full of ascendeds, that’s 37.4% damage boost which is always welcome!

I don’t mind waiting up to 15 minutes (even tho it’s usually ~5min wait) if the dungeon goes smoothly. I enjoy doing dungeons with people that make them enjoyable rather than struggling on basics, even though due to the waiting time, some less “elitist” (bad word but can’t find better one) PUGs can do it faster overall (Wait time + dungeon time).

Anyways, back to the point of OP;

LFGs I find funny the most:

Metazerk full exp ppl only War/Ele/Thief/Guard – more than 1 warrior on 1 team

Full zerk exp ppl only!!!! 7.5k AP+! (No ranger/necro) – 3 warriors on 1 team

There are few similar ones but they all carry the same point.

Here’s my message to you if you do the LFG-of-above-type:

Your argument of being experienced fails the moment you run more than 1 warrior in your party. Same goes for when you do the No ranger part – it’s simple, if you think warrior is good for your DPS, you’re more than wrong and hopefully, my blocklist will keep you away from me.

Old Piken Square WvW Vet

(edited by klemen.8439)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Not to mention that 7-8/10 times people who join are fully ascended which is individually 7.48% damage boost but in a party full of ascendeds, that’s 37.4% damage boost which is always welcome!

this isnt how 2 math..

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Tarasicodissa.7084

Well, last time I managed to avoid 2+ warriors in a PuG group was… probably never. Nonetheless, as long as everyone plays well and knows the stuff, I don’t mind the group being suboptimal. Recently I’ve had a PuG FotM run with 3 wars and 2 eles, I was kinda afraid and ready to leave, but actually the run ended up being decently smooth (for PuGs).
klemen.8439: If I pass over the maths fail, I really hope you don’t consider yourself an experienced player. You complain about 2 warriors in a party being suboptimal, yet you bring a ranger to META parties yourslef? Meh, I’d like to see where giving up thief to make room for ranger can make DPSing bosses or skipping mobs (which is pretty much only thing you do in dungeons) go any smoother.

klemen.8439

Well, last time I managed to avoid 2+ warriors in a PuG group was… probably never. Nonetheless, as long as everyone plays well and knows the stuff, I don’t mind the group being suboptimal. Recently I’ve had a PuG FotM run with 3 wars and 2 eles, I was kinda afraid and ready to leave, but actually the run ended up being decently smooth (for PuGs).
klemen.8439: If I pass over the maths fail, I really hope you don’t consider yourself an experienced player. You complain about 2 warriors in a party being suboptimal, yet you bring a ranger to META parties yourslef? Meh, I’d like to see where giving up thief to make room for ranger can make DPSing bosses or skipping mobs (which is pretty much only thing you do in dungeons) go any smoother.

I’m not saying running multiple warriors is necessarily bad but it’s far from optimal.

First of, I don’t see where my math failed, if you want to, feel free to correct me but as far as I know – pure stat wise, when comparing full exotic vs full ascended, you’ll end up with chart I’ll add up as attachment.

Weapon damage excluded, you end up with 3.47% difference between the two sets and with weapon damage included, you add up 5.01% which leaves you with 8.48% and yes now I see where I failed :p basics … I was typing at 1:30 am.

Anyways, a thief might have more DPS on bosses where you can actually use it properly.

For example, in AC, you’ll rarely be able to do a full backstab+hs spam rotation properly due to bosses dieing too quickly. This is where ranger comes into play as a class that does most damage with conjure weapons ex. icebow. You precast lb5, 25% dmg boost signet and QZ, wait for boss spawn, cast LB2 to get vuln. stacks to 25 (along with other players) and then cast IB4. Just an example of how much damage IB4 deals: In CoE, I hit 10k on the average with 1 icebow projectile where as warrior for example hits 6-7k.

Another reason why ranger is good for parties is Spotter. If you’re running phalanx warrior which I prefer in PUGs since it’s far easier to stack and keep 25 might with and requires far less coordination, skill and time, a spotter gives him just enough precision so he can swap to power signet for more damage – this a thief can’t do.

As far as skipping goes in dungeons, a thief is only necessary for pugs in Arah and CM.

I don’t do CM cos I’m a Norn player and I get nervous when camera is clipping all the time.

Arah is optimal to go with thief, yes. It can do more damage due to bosses lasting just long enough to do a proper backstab+hs rotation and as always, stealth is welcome.

It is something I do know and I just roll a setup of 1 guard, 1 ele, 1 thief, 1 war and 1 ranger.

Since the last patch rangers and their pets are a broken mess, so I try to avoid them as much as possible, especially in dungeons with lots of stealthing sections (CoF P3, TA, CM, Arah, …).

Rangers are only broken mess on reddit. An experienced ranger will know how to control it’s pet, even remove it or stealth it to avoid any trouble. I never had any problems caused by pet, ever.

The only place where pet is a real liability is in CoE p2 grass boss because you can’t control robots normally.

However, there’s a very simple workaround: let 4 people do it and you wait back in the lobby.

Having 5 people doing the robots is pointless anyways since only 4 spawn. All you’d do is cause unnecessary agro to them.

Attachments:

Old Piken Square WvW Vet

Tarasicodissa.7084

I don’t question the percentage you calculated. I haven’t checked the numbers precisely, but 7-8 percent seem about right. The problem is you concluded the boost for the whole party is 5*7,48 = 37,4%. If exotic→ascended boosts your personal DPS by 7,5 percent, then you wearing it will have the whole group do 1,5% more damage overall (that is assuming every member has the same DPS, which is not true → just simplifying). And if everyone is wearing ascended, the group as a whole will get that 7,5% boost. Not five times that.

As for the ranger vs thief problem, I would always choose thief. Rangers don’t have shorter rotations than thieves, both of them can usually execute the important attacks before the boss dies. Also, since thief has naturally more DPS, it will do more damage with conjures.
The skipping part plays an important role in coordinated runs as well, most strategies rely on not aggroing mobs and saving significant amount of time. These are not necessary by any means (you can complete the dungeon anyway), but saving time is what all of us aim for.
I have nothing against rangers. I like them and when they play well, they do decent damage as well as party buffing. I do casual runs with rangers regularly, but I was just pointing out that in optimized group ranger is probably as good as a second war (maybe a tiny bit more). You still tend to see 1 war 1 thief 2 eles 1 guard in most speedruns and there’s a good reason.

klemen.8439

I don’t question the percentage you calculated. I haven’t checked the numbers precisely, but 7-8 percent seem about right. The problem is you concluded the boost for the whole party is 5*7,48 = 37,4%. If exotic->ascended boosts your personal DPS by 7,5 percent, then you wearing it will have the whole group do 1,5% more damage overall (that is assuming every member has the same DPS, which is not true -> just simplifying). And if everyone is wearing ascended, the group as a whole will get that 7,5% boost. Not five times that.

As for the ranger vs thief problem, I would always choose thief. Rangers don’t have shorter rotations than thieves, both of them can usually execute the important attacks before the boss dies. Also, since thief has naturally more DPS, it will do more damage with conjures.
The skipping part plays an important role in coordinated runs as well, most strategies rely on not aggroing mobs and saving significant amount of time. These are not necessary by any means (you can complete the dungeon anyway), but saving time is what all of us aim for.
I have nothing against rangers. I like them and when they play well, they do decent damage as well as party buffing. I do casual runs with rangers regularly, but I was just pointing out that in optimized group ranger is probably as good as a second war (maybe a tiny bit more). You still tend to see 1 war 1 thief 2 eles 1 guard in most speedruns and there’s a good reason.

Good that we got few things straight

I’ll admit that I was mistaken with the math, sorry about that … Never was my fav. class, although the percentages are right and you can double check.

I just think you understand me wrong. I’m not saying ranger is better than thief, I’m saying that in few situations, for ex. AC where there’s practically no mob skipping, ranger can be just as effective if not more on specific fights (From my own experience, I’ve never ticked 10k hits on icebow with thief, where as with ranger I have).

As for party DPS, highest party DPS is with 1 war, 2 ele, 1 thief and 1 ranger. I’m not saying this to justify anything, I’m just trying to prove your assumptions about me being “inexperienced” because I choose ranger over thief in specific situations, wrong.

Like I mentioned previously, me playing as a ranger plays a HUGE role in filtering out newbies and wannabe experienced players from joining my LFGs. I know for certain that the moment I’ll roll guard, war or ele, my party will fill up in an instant, mostly by ~5k AP players, which I don’t mind if experienced but they usually aren’t.

Old Piken Square WvW Vet

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Just a casual Mossman roaming Arah

Attachments:

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

The usual elitist cof p1 zerkers ping chest piece run, warrior pings ascended armor but with no runes, this is what happened after he got kicked

Attachments: