Your best LFG reads and puglife stories

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: KevinB.9643

KevinB.9643

Since I got my Dungeoneer title I don’t often run dungeons without at least one friend present. But we all do crazy stuff now and then right?

Staff guard for T.A. blossems skipp or just in a random dungeon?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

but we did the path anyway and it was only at the end that the warrior realised he didn’t have any backpiece or trinkets on.

I did a path 2 arah and soloed lupi for the party, found out the same thing after as well. Good thing my abysmal damage blended right in.

I didn’t do this in a 5 man or a pug, just a casual run I think with 2 friends but I was using an outfit on my warrior so I couldn’t see armor. I solod orbs and completely forgot to change back to berserker and normal traits since I went afk right after that. When I got back I completely forgot about needing to swap back to the Arah GS + normal armor/traits, only did utilities and rushed over to them before they started.

So we killed Lupicus with me having ~1500 healing power and orb solo traits. :>

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Since I got my Dungeoneer title I don’t often run dungeons without at least one friend present. But we all do crazy stuff now and then right?

Doesn’t matter which dungeon I run, I always cringe when I see a guard join. Not sure why but they are worse then bear bows now.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: KevinB.9643

KevinB.9643

Doesn’t matter which dungeon I run, I always cringe when I see a guard join. Not sure why but they are worse then bear bows now.

I rarely use staff in dungeons, TA I would use but immediatly swap it back before actual combat, or I use it to stack might (rarely have to) should I have no warrior or ele to pull it off..

The real reason I have a staff in my inventory is to mindlessly spam skill 1 during farms.

Talyn.3295

I rarely use staff in dungeons, TA I would use but immediatly swap it back before actual combat, or I use it to stack might (rarely have to) should I have no warrior or ele to pull it off..

The real reason I have a staff in my inventory is to mindlessly spam skill 1 during farms.

I main a guard as well. I keep my staff mostly for WvW and trimming the shrubs in TA. Otherwise I hate even touching that thing.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

So I just finished a CoF full run, and being someone who does the Aetherpath regularly, I decided to look around for a LFG.

Saw this one engineer selling slots, 39 gold each. Told said engi via whisper that was far too high for achievements (most I’ve seen was like 10-15 gold).

Engi got irate, blocked me.

Well then.

How do people sell the achievements anyway? Are they just acting as an overpriced guide, or are they actually able to solo the entire dungeon (Grounded included)? I always feel a little bad for people that resort to buying this path, because so few are willing to guide others through.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

Are we talking general dungeon achievements (for finishing the path) or the TA-AE specific achievements? I too have hard time believing someone pays as much as 15g for just joining at the end. At this moment (with all the guides available), it should be reasonably easy to find a pug to do AE with. Also, as far as I can tell, even average groups are able to finish in ~30mins, so those 15g (or more common 20g) seem totally overpriced to me.
If we’re talking the AE achievements, to my surprise, I’ve recently seen an LFG of a guy selling those. It was over 30g. I still wonder who would pay for it, but I guess this game is full of rich people (LA afkers), who are too lazy to learn or play the actual game, they’re here just for the stock exchange simulator.

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

I think it’s both. Aether is for some players the last dungeonpath missing. And many players got troubles in it but want the aether achievements. Before you spend like 2 frustrating hours in it, it might be worth buying it.

I do aether often with PUGs. Most players are not searching for guides. You can do most dungeons by just entering and kill everything, players are not used to communicate, read chat or think.
Without some explanations groups tend to disband at the ooze puzzle or they spend there like half an hour. The first boss is causing huge troubles, because everyone needs to understand the oil-degeneration mechanic.
The final boss is also difficult when no one melees him or when the holo-luring stuff goes wrong. Some time ago you could often see lfgs searching for replacement players: “aether at oozes/slick spark/final boss”. Got more uncommon, but for a long time like half the aether lfgs were similar. Without explanations aether can cause troubles.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Are we talking general dungeon achievements (for finishing the path) or the TA-AE specific achievements? I too have hard time believing someone pays as much as 15g for just joining at the end. At this moment (with all the guides available), it should be reasonably easy to find a pug to do AE with. Also, as far as I can tell, even average groups are able to finish in ~30mins, so those 15g (or more common 20g) seem totally overpriced to me.
If we’re talking the AE achievements, to my surprise, I’ve recently seen an LFG of a guy selling those. It was over 30g. I still wonder who would pay for it, but I guess this game is full of rich people (LA afkers), who are too lazy to learn or play the actual game, they’re here just for the stock exchange simulator.

Yeah I’m just wondering if these people solo all the achievements or what? I would feel totally ripped off to pay 20 gold or more and then have to help in the run.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

Yup, so would I. But then as Jockum pointed out above, there are people who want to play the game but can’t be bothered to learn it (completely refuse to cooperate or seek out a video guide), so the only way these people get the achievements is by buying (or leeching). Even though they are probably expected to do something, I guess the seller is able to solo the majority of the dungeon (as far as I know, everything but the electric floor is soloable).

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

I fully pugged a 50 for the first time in a while, and it was horrible. Two Russians who were from the same guild gearchecking and going on about meta this, meta that, when they couldn’t keep themselves alive or do much damage. The warrior spent so much time linking defiance to our thief – because apparently all he wanted him to do was spam pistol skills to get stacks off – that he rarely got above 15 stacks of might generated. There was some guardian who instadied all the time, no idea what build he had, but he was very poor with blocks.

The two Russians then said “brb” at one point, then took 10 minutes to come back, by which point the other guys went afk. The run lasted 1.5hrs, and was generally god-awful. The worst thing is that i might have to pug more runs for a while, so this might be a common thing for a while. I’m used to 30-45min runs, not 1.5hrs

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I fully pugged a 50 for the first time in a while, and it was horrible. Two Russians who were from the same guild gearchecking and going on about meta this, meta that, when they couldn’t keep themselves alive or do much damage. The warrior spent so much time linking defiance to our thief – because apparently all he wanted him to do was spam pistol skills to get stacks off – that he rarely got above 15 stacks of might generated. There was some guardian who instadied all the time, no idea what build he had, but he was very poor with blocks.

The two Russians then said “brb” at one point, then took 10 minutes to come back, by which point the other guys went afk. The run lasted 1.5hrs, and was generally god-awful. The worst thing is that i might have to pug more runs for a while, so this might be a common thing for a while. I’m used to 30-45min runs, not 1.5hrs

I’d probably do more fractals if I could get some 30-45 minute runs, but I’ve been in dungeon/raid guilds in other MMOs and they tend to be pretty volatile places, so I’ve stayed away from them in GW2. Unfortunately, pugging is my only option.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Sabetha.4910

Sabetha.4910

So I just finished a CoF full run, and being someone who does the Aetherpath regularly, I decided to look around for a LFG.

Saw this one engineer selling slots, 39 gold each. Told said engi via whisper that was far too high for achievements (most I’ve seen was like 10-15 gold).

Engi got irate, blocked me.

Well then.

How do people sell the achievements anyway? Are they just acting as an overpriced guide, or are they actually able to solo the entire dungeon (Grounded included)? I always feel a little bad for people that resort to buying this path, because so few are willing to guide others through.

Pretty much as an overpriced guide. And given that the person said he was selling over a 100 AP (which was apparently oh-so-reasonable) I’m guessing he included the achievements you get from just doing the dungeon itself. Like killing Sparki and Slick. Who the storms needs to pay 39 gold for that?!

I’ve brought so many first-timers into that dungeon and I’ve yet to charge a single person. Just yesterday, I pugged the Aetherpath and after it was done, I still helped a guy grab all the Aetherblade chests without even knowing him.

It’s incredibly disappointing when people decide to fleece others when they need the party members to begin with.

P.S. I don’t know if anyone here has yet to do the Aetherpath but I’m more than happy to take you through it. All I ask is that you come on Teamspeak because it’s easier to explain through speaking than typing.

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

I think I did my first Aetherpath with a group of pugs that were also all first timers.
Took about an hour.
Its probably more of a “I’m scared to try it myself” attitude because so many people say Aetherpath is too hard

Posted by: Sabetha.4910

Sabetha.4910

I think I did my first Aetherpath with a group of pugs that were also all first timers.
Took about an hour.
Its probably more of a “I’m scared to try it myself” attitude because so many people say Aetherpath is too hard

Mine was about 3-4 hours. It can be difficult, depending on pug composition. Still, it was good fun.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Seeing as F2Players can’t type in map-chat and some people really hate F2Ps, I’m waiting to see the LFGs with “Gearcheck and Mapcheck” posts soon enough

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I did Aetherpath waaaaay back during the time when it first came out. My PUG took almost 4 hours to complete it, but back then I still wasn’t using Ascended gear (and I think I wasn’t using full Exotics). I’d probably be much better at it now.

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Saw an LFG that had an AP requirement and that you had to wear the new veteran outfit.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Today I wanted to do the first part of CMP1 solo on Thief. Naturally after that I made a casual lfg to finish the path.

Near instantly my party gets filled with level ~50 characters, all with < 1k AP. I waited at the the barn when they bravely entered the mansion.

After 4 minutes they were still inside.

After 8 minutes they were all dead.

All leave except one who then gets enough courage to speak up. I showed him the way and then created LFG again. But that’s another horror story for some other time.

Think about someone getting revealed every skip and then you have to stealthresurrect everyone few times.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Quarktastic.1027

Think about someone getting revealed every skip and then you have to stealthresurrect everyone few times.

I had this problem when I used [Shield of Wrath] to blast the thief’s smoke field…

Fortunately I was behind everyone else when it popped and revealed me. I still managed the skip though, so it was all good.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Corran.4957

Corran.4957

lvl 25 Fractal Pug today…. Aetherblade fractal. someone decided to die on top of one of the consoles at the electric trap (top floor spinning ones). Instead of doing the simple thing of releasing (or even relogging if had to), he decided to go afk without saying anything. After 5minutes the group finally agreed to kick the idiot so could actually do that part as given that everyone else kept dying I couldnt afford to lose time trying to find an interact point rather than the kitten rezz prompt.

Least it wasted more of their time then mine when they didnt get to finish the run.

Posted by: Phoenix Jaydefire.2538

Phoenix Jaydefire.2538

Arah P1
We had a thief. The thief took quite a while to get to the Ancient Ooze, but we didn’t really think anything of it. We killed the ooze, four of us make it to the crystalline entities. The last person we’re waiting on is the thief.

The thief got halfway through the run and stopped for a while. Finally I ask what they’re doing and it turns out they’re waiting for Shadow Refuge. I said, “You know you have two other ways to stealth.” They replied, “I know,” and continued standing there until the recharge was up. One person asks if they’re new to thief and they reply, “Yes.” That person leaves because they don’t have time for running with a new thief through Arah.

The thief finally makes it to the cliff, dragging two drakes with them. The thief promptly dies. One person tries to res and dies in the process. Me and the final person stand back so we don’t aggro the drakes and can safely res after. Thief says, “Good job resing” and then leaves the group. We res the third and last person in our group and they say, “I don’t know what’s up with them. They’re normally much better than this. Sorry guys, gotta stick with my friend,” and then leaves the group as well.

Bonus: I ran into another Shadow Refuge addict in Twilight Arbor yesterday that insisted on waiting for the 60- (or 48-second traited, I wasn’t really counting) cooldown.

Thief PSA: You can blast Smoke Screen and Black Powder for stealth. That is all.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Murder, she wrote.

bladex.9502

Thiefs that don’t use black powder are my biggest pet peeve in this game

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Today I wanted to do the first part of CMP1 solo on Thief. Naturally after that I made a casual lfg to finish the path.

Near instantly my party gets filled with level ~50 characters, all with < 1k AP. I waited at the the barn when they bravely entered the mansion.

All leave except one who then gets enough courage to speak up. I showed him the way and then created LFG again. But that’s another horror story for some other time.

I learn from my experience that mesmer is naturally a better carry class in CM p1 than thief. You dont have to stealth your group and make sure they will not reveal themselves. Just tell them to waypoint and take your portal…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I learn from my experience that mesmer is naturally a better carry class in CM p1 than thief. You dont have to stealth your group and make sure they will not reveal themselves. Just tell them to waypoint and take your portal…

So much this, Thief for when I’m teaching people how to do it, Mes for when I’m just looking to get them through it.

deSade.9437

LF portal spots in cm plox too lazy to google (but I doubt I’ll step foot in a dungeon that isn’t arah again…)

Quarktastic.1027

So much this, Thief for when I’m teaching people how to do it, Mes for when I’m just looking to get them through it.

I still need to make a mesmer. My ranger and guardian can easily make all of the skips without a thief…but when the rest of your group can’t…being able to portal people would be great.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Jerus.4350

LF portal spots in cm plox too lazy to google (but I doubt I’ll step foot in a dungeon that isn’t arah again…)

Wait? there are dungeons other than Arah?

And, Quark it’s totally worth it, that or a good movie or something you can watch while they try to make the Ooze → Tar P1 skip.

deSade.9437

The real question is, are there bosses other than lupeh?

My favourite part of pugging 1-2 slots: watch the pugs try (and fail) to do the ooze-tar skip while we 3 danced, slept, played with dyes, shared gossips and cake.
And then the countdowns of death! “Try 1… try 2…” it made them so mad

Posted by: Nia.3964

Nia.3964

Did Arah Fullrun PuG tonight. Or atleast, I tryed to. 1hr 30 Minutes for 4+2, then I left after we managed to kill belka after a few horrible skip fails.
Best part was the thief laying a blackpowder field right inside like 10 spawned grubs from the previous fails. After p2 I leave, wishing them good luck…what happened then can be seen in the screenshots.

PS: I advertised as “no OS Lupi”, and I’m the guardian that “failed” the OS.
PPS: Anyone interested in fast late night Arah runs?

Attachments:

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Did Arah Fullrun PuG tonight. Or atleast, I tryed to. 1hr 30 Minutes for 4+2, then I left after we managed to kill belka after a few horrible skip fails.
Best part was the thief laying a blackpowder field right inside like 10 spawned grubs from the previous fails. After p2 I leave, wishing them good luck…what happened then can be seen in the screenshots.

A world in which oneshotting Lupi is standard and people who actually want to fight him are noobs… GW2, you truly make me sad.

bladex.9502

You can always hit me up, if you learn how to oneshot!!!!!!

deSade.9437

n00b guard.

/knits a scarf

Nia.3964

I’m afaraid I’m not good enough for learning to Oneshot(((

Jerus.4350

Feel Free to hit me up, can’t say I’ll be availalbe (friends keeping me busy lately) but down if not

Nia.3964

Feel Free to hit me up, can’t say I’ll be availalbe (friends keeping me busy lately) but down if not

EU?

Posted by: dboylolz.3916

dboylolz.3916

omg...

is it just me or is everyone on this thread slowly turning into some sort of feigning noobinessness?

Yeah, I stopped taking the forums seriously when it became acceptable to use Ice Bow and pre stack might.

(edited by dboylolz.3916)

bladex.9502

omg…

is it just me or is everyone on this thread slowly turning into some sort of feigning noobinessness?

Yeah, I stopped taking the forums seriously when it became acceptable to use Ice Bow and pre stack might.

You’re just mad my necro does more DPS than your warrior!

Jerus.4350

EU?

NA I really wish I grabbed an account for EU when it was $10 Maybe start a f2p one! /shrug

deSade.9437

You all suck, best build is pigboarpigbow.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

You all suck, best build is pigboarpigbow.

along with HAM bow

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Talyn.3295

Do you see it?

Must just be me…

Attachments:

deSade.9437

I… see a ham.
/squints
And.. is that a hamburger? kitten , that flag confuses me.

Talyn.3295

Suppose I got work to do.

Attachments:

Posted by: stambogalizi.8356

stambogalizi.8356

I’m not the type of person to ask for gearchecks when pugging, but after today you bet I will.

Pugging Hotw p2 “all welcome”- sort of party; 3 people from the same guild join. They have some weird builds but I don’t mind them. We go through very slowly, they all die at the svanir + 2 quaggans boss over and over but eventually we manage to finish it. Then they can’t get through the underwater skip part and they just keep dying and just standing there in the middle of the skip waiting to be ressed so i start pinging them the waypoint to respawn. At that moment they kick me.

deSade.9437

That feeling when you get a soldier ring and your 3 pugs (longbow warrior, d/d then died 3-4 times at shaman so swapped to p/p thief, unsure of what he was doing ele) joining at the end of the 2nd fractal get 3 ascended boxes and your partner-in-misery gets nothing.
I need someone to hold me so I don’t fall apart. Plz.

I don’t think I’ll handle raiding. It’s just… no.

Talyn.3295

That feeling when you get a soldier ring and your 3 pugs (longbow warrior, d/d then died 3-4 times at shaman so swapped to p/p thief, unsure of what he was doing ele) joining at the end of the 2nd fractal get 3 ascended boxes and your partner-in-misery gets nothing.
I need someone to hold me so I don’t fall apart. Plz.

I don’t think I’ll handle raiding. It’s just… no.

on the bright side, they might put that new armor to good use and not die to much the next time.

Attachments:

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

More confirmation of the fractals’ fundamental flaws: no one wants to run low level fractals and you’re locked out of the higher ones through agony. They need to remove the agony mechanic and the fractal level tiers so a new person can say do level 50 and get level 50 rewards without being a burden to the team. Bosses also have way too much HP, so you can all know what to do but the problem with giving too much HP to bosses is it increases the chances of going wrong since the fight lasts longer. Then you have adds with ludicrously long knockdowns. For comparison a so-called thief “elite” basilisk venom only stuns for one second and has a very long cool down…and it doesn’t work on champions or legendaries, another problem in and of itself because it ensures the high HP two shotting cheapo remains mobile. There needs to be a trait for shadow refuge to shield against all incoming AoEs since they come after the shadow refuge. This would ensure a clean rez with fewer complications and may even justify it’s very long cool down.

Let’s see how tough fractals would be without gimmicky nonsense (like the Dredge switches or needing to lure a certain boss into an electro field), heavy HP sinks, artificial gating via agony, and crowd control immunities.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Arah P1
We had a thief. The thief took quite a while to get to the Ancient Ooze, but we didn’t really think anything of it. We killed the ooze, four of us make it to the crystalline entities. The last person we’re waiting on is the thief.

The thief got halfway through the run and stopped for a while. Finally I ask what they’re doing and it turns out they’re waiting for Shadow Refuge. I said, “You know you have two other ways to stealth.” They replied, “I know,” and continued standing there until the recharge was up. One person asks if they’re new to thief and they reply, “Yes.” That person leaves because they don’t have time for running with a new thief through Arah.

The thief finally makes it to the cliff, dragging two drakes with them. The thief promptly dies. One person tries to res and dies in the process. Me and the final person stand back so we don’t aggro the drakes and can safely res after. Thief says, “Good job resing” and then leaves the group. We res the third and last person in our group and they say, “I don’t know what’s up with them. They’re normally much better than this. Sorry guys, gotta stick with my friend,” and then leaves the group as well.

Bonus: I ran into another Shadow Refuge addict in Twilight Arbor yesterday that insisted on waiting for the 60- (or 48-second traited, I wasn’t really counting) cooldown.

Thief PSA: You can blast Smoke Screen and Black Powder for stealth. That is all.

The Problem I think in that case was the mechanics of the game itself (though the thief sounded kinda rude) since dungeon stuff tends to be way overtuned. The shadow refuge waiting isn’t for stealth but healing. For dagger/dagger thieves hitting W (that skill that vulnerability and stealths) helps for stealth, which heals the thief alone for a little. The problem with blinding powder is you need to put it in place of a signet, so you’re missing out on a passive power boost or haste.

You can’t apply shadow refuge and heal when you’re downed or dead.