dungeon X "all stack"

dungeon X "all stack"

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

@Zen
Devs don’t seem to quail in fear of doing something because players run something alot of times, else we’d all still be crammed in CoF Path 1.

That’s quite the reaction.
Look, I didn’t mean to hit a sore spot.

There’s no shame in finding yourself caught up in the Grind. It’s insidious like that. Designed to be insidious like that, even. But once you’ve realized you’re not having fun, do something about it. Branch out into other activities or take a break for a while. Whatever you can do to get back to doing something because you’re actually in the mood for it, and get out of the routine of logging on and doing something automatically.

I promise, that is the single best you can do for yourself when playing an MMO.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

@Zen
Devs don’t seem to quail in fear of doing something because players run something alot of times, else we’d all still be crammed in CoF Path 1.

There’s no shame in finding yourself caught up in the Grind. It’s insidious like that. Designed to be insidious like that, even. But once you’ve realized you’re not having fun, do something about it. Branch out into other activities or take a break for a while. Whatever you can do to get back to doing something because you’re actually in the mood for it, and get out of the routine of logging on and doing something automatically.

Read what you type.

You’re basically telling people they’re having fun in a wrong way.

Defeated by packet loss.

dungeon X "all stack"

Vox Hollow.2736

The qualifier for starting a change is ‘finding yourself not having fun’. How is that anything but subjective?

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

I wrote that wall of text because I wanted to give these guys the benefit of the dobut that if it was all actually explained it might provide some insight for them as to why stacking is a viable tactic, why it is done, what the risks are.

I did indeed, waste my time.

Maybe not, sometimes a little explanation is all it takes. Don’t hold your breath tho, for some reason most of GW2 community is allergic to improvement

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

the reason why in other games where you have trinity Stacking don’t works in a corner is bicous usualy bosses have an ability that when the boss uses an Aoe/cone DMG to the front only a tank can survive when he is standing front of him.

also there are bosses with rooms where there is not a single pillar wall or anything to hide to and your forced to stay away from his abilities.

in this game there is very rare boss encounters when both applies ( Lupi ) is one example.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

have you seen the movie 300? or read the comic 300? or heard of the story of the brave 300?

they stacked.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

have you seen the movie 300? or read the comic 300? or heard of the story of the brave 300?

they stacked.

they also wiped against trash mobs, because they were all zerkers.

huehuehuehuehue

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Ephemeral.5409

Ephemeral.5409

Oh hell yeah it’s the bonus “I hate stacking” thread of the week.

So check this out. I kite the mobs SO GODkitten ED HARD, that when I’m done killing I have to go check up on those noob stackers. Not for my personal gain, but to check on all the bros who fainted ’mirin my absolutely insane bearbowing session.

One time, a dude straight up went insane, literally, while watching me knockback 3 mobs in a row. My longbow skills turned his grey matter into scrambled egg, yo. People think I’m cray, but you know what’s really cray, these brown bears.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

@Zen

No, but the opposite is true. Creating content that would just be abandoned is a waste of time.

And you understand me so well, grinding is like, the only thing I ever do.

All it comes down to with repeated dungeons is the question whether you’re stuck grinding slowly, or being able log off while you’re ahead at 15g+ in 1 hour from speeding through dungeons cause pretty much everything else is too boring to do.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I would like to see stacking gone.

The best way to do it is to have the dungeon team to play some sPvP. See what is the behavior of players when they react to stacking.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

The best way to do it is to have the dungeon team to play some sPvP. See what is the behavior of players when they react to stacking.

There are plenty of times when I am on my engi and I LOS behind a wall and stack with some teammates to obliterate my enemy. I think I’ll make a video of it sometime.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

ahhhhhhhhhh! we need to stop fighting about this. The game reward stacking it is just the way it is. Stack this boss stack here stack there stack Teq stack wvwv stack to get supply count stack to get buff. The devs kitten love stacking.

Make your own group stating you dont want to stack. They will come. They might die and rage quit but you will get more. Make your own group.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Stacking gone? Okay, so then enemies shouldn’t LoS anymore? Wanna know what happens then?

Here’s a video of a certain pull in GW1. Albeit the pull changed a little bit at some point, and I personally used to pull all the enemies around the cave as well, it’s the general idea that counts. In GW1 there was no LoS’ing. Mobs didn’t change their pathing when they couldn’t hit you. They just kept hitting the wall instead.

That guy is holding over 70 enemies so that once the team arrives, they can spike everything down in a couple of seconds.

If LoS’ing were to be ‘fixed’, we’d just find the next best way to abuse the system in order to clear content as fast and as efficiently as possible, and you’d just get your panties in a bunch over that new tactic.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

dungeon X "all stack"

Vox Hollow.2736

Just to be clear, I have zero problems with people gaming the system.
I have a history in the FPS sphere. Gaming the system is a proud time honored tradition. We wouldn’t have bunny hopping, skiing, or rocket jumping or all sorts of really fun stuff without it.

But, not all instancing of gaming the system are created equal.

This doesn’t suck because you’re working the angles, it sucks because the actual gameplay itself sucks. It’s cheesy, brainless and utterly forgettable. If stacking was even a fraction as awesome as skiing, I don’t think you’d see so many people having a problem with it.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Funny you say this. I have been WvWing a lot lately to get the meta achievement done. There have been many occasions when me and my friends are being chased by a larger group, and we run around a corner and the “mobs” LOS to us and we obliterate them with AOE. You would think that real people with intelligence would be immune to stupid pve tactics, but they aren’t.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

dungeon X "all stack"

runeblade.7514

There are plenty of times when I am on my engi and I LOS behind a wall and stack with some teammates to obliterate my enemy. I think I’ll make a video of it sometime.

Do you use that tactic on r40+ players at all and use it only on r10 players?
Are you using a standard dungeon running build and dungeon gear or, are you using a PvP build and gear?
Are you literally stacking on the corner and staying there or are you moving around the pillar as the enemy chase you?

Your story might be true, but there are missing details. Of course, there will be players with intelligences similar to dungeon ai, but then there are players that can show off a tactic to destroy stacking. The sample size you could provide might be just too small. It is like you filling up a cup of water from an ocean and declaring there is no pollution. The problem is that you need a slightly bigger sample.

Also, I am fine with players moving around as the enemy chases you around the pillar. At least there is some movement going on.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Are you using a standard dungeon running build and gear or a PvP build?

Your story might be true, but there are missing details.

rune: “Lol, LoS’ing sucks, try it in PvP and see how that goes for you.”

Tree/Nike: “Well, sometimes I do, and sometimes it works.”

rune: “Well, you’re not using a dungeon build, so it doesn’t count.”

Okay, got it.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

dungeon X "all stack"

runeblade.7514

Are you using a standard dungeon running build and gear or a PvP build?

Your story might be true, but there are missing details.

rune: “Lol, LoS’ing sucks, try it in PvP and see how that goes for you.”

Tree/Nike: “Well, sometimes I do, and sometimes it works.”

rune: “Well, you’re not using a dungeon build, so it doesn’t count.”

Okay, got it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Funny you say this. I have been WvWing a lot lately to get the meta achievement done. There have been many occasions when me and my friends are being chased by a larger group, and we run around a corner and the “mobs” LOS to us and we obliterate them with AOE. You would think that real people with intelligence would be immune to stupid pve tactics, but they aren’t.

Funny you use a zerg WvW example to try to counter a point made in reference to sPvP.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Funny you use a zerg WvW example to try to counter a point made in reference to sPvP.

It’s not a zerg WvW example, its 5 of us sitting behind a corner and watching idiots run into us, as if being line of sighted. I guess 5 is a zerg these days. WvW is still pseudo PvP.

Anyway, contrary to popular belief, a lot of us are pretty good at sPvP. I guess the original post was trying to strawman and insinuate that we only know how to PvE, I don’t think he actually thinks we’ll find something amazing about stacking in PvP.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

(edited by hybrid.5027)

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Oh god that sounds fun lol. I want to LoS the newbs.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Hec.8413

Hec.8413

If they would make those encounters more challenging, then we should also recieve better rewards because we won’t be able to farm so much again. Right?

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Relax have a bit of fun with it

We shall stack on to the end. We shall stack in France, we shall stack on the seas and oceans, we shall stack with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall stack our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall stack on the beaches, we shall stack on the landing grounds, we shall stack in the fields and in the streets, we shall stack in the hills; we shall never surrender

Speaking of stacked…my Norn ele….stacked so tightly….I’d totally stack that.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

they stacked.

they also wiped against trash mobs, because they were all zerkers.

huehuehuehuehue

thanks for that.
still laughing.D

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the grind can be a bit much, but you could always join a guild that does dungeons without stacking. even ask people you meet in lfg if they would want to do dungeons the normal way sometime.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

LOS’ing is even easier in sPvP.
Step 1: Attack someone
Step 2: Run behind something
Step 3: Wait for them to come to me and run into my turrets…
Step 4: Repeat steps 1-4

If they don’t come to me I just get to throw conditions on them with my 1200 range grenades…

Also I must be cheating if I can anticipate a stun warriors eleven billion stuns (spoiler I watch the animation) or a guardian pull (spoiler I watch for the animation) or a mesmer gs push back (spoiler I watch the animation).

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

dungeon X "all stack"

spoj.9672

Top pve players are usually pretty good at pvp because we are good at watching for tells. Something I cant say the same for a lot of full time pvp/wvw’ers. Which is also why i get confused that some really good pvp players are so bad at pve, surely they should be able to react to tells in a different gametype?

dungeon X "all stack"

Oxxy.7068

People who says that LoS’ing doesn’t work in PvP probably are just wannabe hardcore pvpers, i used to hide behind rocks/pillars/trees to break casts/avoid being range’d down and what not in more than one game, it is no different here, aside from the constant desengaging fiesta that GW2’s PvP is.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Stop this whining about stacking. You don’t like it? Then don’t play with 90% of people. Have your own little groups that wipe over and over again “as it was intended”

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

I see a lot of posts on why or why not stack but nothing to say that its ever been changed. Like Teq or Molten facility bosses. Both require more effort then the typical stack meaning that Anet is aware that it is too easy and requires more effort from them. I do not think they will change all bosses like they did for Teq so stacking isn’t going away. My philosophy is stack if the group build warrants it. As stated above, some groups do not have the right players for stacking and you have to adjust or just stick to the same group and always stack. I like completing dungeons quickly and easily. Faster is always better. I do, in the future, see Anet bringing out more mechanics to fights to challenge us.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

I like how stacking is criticised because it’s "zerging an enemy down". Please ban anyone who participates at a world event where more than 3 other players are.

dungeon X "all stack"

Oxxy.7068

Like Teq

Right. Because nobody DPS’ing the dragon stacks near it’s right paw.

dungeon X "all stack"

zerotwo.4731

Like Teq

If that was all you did you couldn’t defeat Teq. Without the guns firing and players helping to protect the guns those players that are stacking are useless.

dungeon X "all stack"

Romo.3709

Like Teq

And how do you advise defeating Teq? That’s the only way to do it. You need a group concentrated in one area dealing heavy damage to the dragon while the turrets clear the area on and around them. If you had people spaced out everywhere, nobody would survive and Teq wouldn’t go down below 95%.

dungeon X "all stack"

Romo.3709

There is a time and place for stacking. It’s called explorable mode. If you want to roam around, clear every single mob, and “do it the way it was intended”, play the story mode. Stacking is not required nor advised there.

dungeon X "all stack"

Oxxy.7068

Like Teq

If that was all you did you couldn’t defeat Teq. Without the guns firing and players helping to protect the guns those players that are stacking are useless.

Firin guns requires zero player skill. Defending guns is easy as hell as well, as long not many people are passing by and scaling the event up.

Actually, most dungeon encounters takes more skill than Teq, and you shouldn’t use open world crap that requires a bunch of bad players to pull their weight as an example in a dungeon stacking debate. /thread

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This is not a exploit only in places where mobs cant hit you, they basically do it so they can kill all mobs at once instead of 1 by 1 it go faster.
Speed = money , That’s also why groups prefer players with berserker stats.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Strange how no one’s mentioned how stacking is one of the few times where you’d be able to lay down combo fields that would actually benefit the whole party instead of everyone running around like headless chickens. If I’m running my guardian in a predominantly melee group, I get to dust off the hammer sitting in my inventory and put it to good use.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

Tequatl doesn’t scale and open world stuff is usually much better designed than dungeon stuff.

dungeon X "all stack"

zerotwo.4731

Like Teq

Firin guns requires zero player skill. Defending guns is easy as hell as well, as long not many people are passing by and scaling the event up.

It doesn’t matter if its easy, Without the guns and the protection you can’t defeat Teq. You can stack all day and fail.

Actually, most dungeon encounters takes more skill than Teq, and you shouldn’t use open world crap that requires a bunch of bad players to pull their weight as an example in a dungeon stacking debate. /thread

My point is to show that Anet is making changes to mechanics so stacking is not always going to be the best option. You can also look at the new path in TA as an example. Anet is clearly not allowing us to run all they way to the final boss and there is more interaction with the environment.

dungeon X "all stack"

spoj.9672

But you still stack in TA AP even if you cant skip.

dungeon X "all stack"

Oxxy.7068

Like Teq

It doesn’t matter if its easy, Without the guns and the protection you can’t defeat Teq. You can stack all day and fail.

My point is to show that Anet is making changes to mechanics so stacking is not always going to be the best option. You can also look at the new path in TA as an example. Anet is clearly not allowing us to run all they way to the final boss and there is more interaction with the environment.

Not allowing skips on both mobs and movies is what makes that new TA path so unpopular anyways, i’m fine with environment interation if done well (i’m pretty neutral to TA puzzle since i just ran it twice), but overall “killing everything” ins’t really fun, not mentioning it’s replayability is awful.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Jon.3752

Jon.3752

I think stacking is fine, it’s just cleverly abusing the AI. A few problems though.

In AC on the spider queen, she does not use her poison AoE while everyone is stacked in the corner. This kinda trivializes the encounter in my opinion. You’ll notice if someone is not stacked correctly in the corner, because when that happens the spider queen will actually use her poison AoE skill and deal mongoloid damage to the whole party.

In CoE paths 1 and 3, alpha uses a cone skill called Tooth of Modremoth. While you’re standing inside of him, it deals no damage to you. If you can get him pushed into a wall with the entire party inside of his hitbox, the encounter is trivialized. If he starts moving around, it actually becomes challenging because of the amount of teeth damage the group is taking.

A few enemies can be revamped to make them impossible to stack. Imagine if spider queen refused to leave her room and come into the corner with you. Imagine if subject alpha jumped away before he attacked someone with tooth.

Dryten ~ [DnT] ~ Blackgate

dungeon X "all stack"

Oxxy.7068

I think stacking is fine, it’s just cleverly abusing the AI. A few problems though.

In AC on the spider queen, she does not use her poison AoE while everyone is stacked in the corner. This kinda trivializes the encounter in my opinion. You’ll notice if someone is not stacked correctly in the corner, because when that happens the spider queen will actually use her poison AoE skill and deal mongoloid damage to the whole party.

In CoE paths 1 and 3, alpha uses a cone skill called Tooth of Modremoth. While you’re standing inside of him, it deals no damage to you. If you can get him pushed into a wall with the entire party inside of his hitbox, the encounter is trivialized. If he starts moving around, it actually becomes challenging because of the amount of teeth damage the group is taking.

A few enemies can be revamped to make them impossible to stack. Imagine if spider queen refused to leave her room and come into the corner with you. Imagine if subject alpha jumped away before he attacked someone with tooth.

I’ll agree with alpha, but not with spider queen, since it won’t use it’s poison as long everyone is melee, stacking ins’t needed, it just makes cleaving the adds easier. Also, on alpha, even without stacking it’s not that big of a deal, whenever a mesmer misses his pull on first alpha we just dps it while following him closely and most of it’s modremoth misses anyways.

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Jon.3752

Jon.3752

I’ll agree with alpha, but not with spider queen, since it won’t use it’s poison as long everyone is melee, stacking ins’t needed, it just makes cleaving the adds easier.

Oh, my bad. I didn’t realize that. I thought it was in that little room where she wouldn’t use her poison as long as she’s tucked in the corner.

Dryten ~ [DnT] ~ Blackgate

dungeon X "all stack"

Posted by: Imrek.6591

Imrek.6591

Strange how no one’s mentioned how stacking is one of the few times where you’d be able to lay down combo fields that would actually benefit the whole party instead of everyone running around like headless chickens. If I’m running my guardian in a predominantly melee group, I get to dust off the hammer sitting in my inventory and put it to good use.

I agree with this, I find sharing boons and fields with team mates to be more enjoyable than the headless chicken approach.

dungeon X "all stack"

zerotwo.4731

When it comes to stacking you also find those players who have trouble with it and are not sure what they can offer the rest of the team when stacked. Those are usually the ones who post that its not needed since they always die. Sometimes I wish there was an option to spec a group who are in a dungeon. That way you could watch everyone’s skills and when they are used to maximize the stack method.