legendary armor

legendary armor

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Bandrell.4357

Bandrell.4357

I’m starting to make peace with the fact that I’ll never get raid legendary armor. I hope someday Arenanet will come to the conclusion that it’s okay to make more legendary armor for wvw, spvp and fractals or open world. So that, like raiders, we can also chase long term goals relating to unique, animated armor sets as well.

legendary armor

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I’m starting to make peace with the fact that I’ll never get raid legendary armor. I hope someday Arenanet will come to the conclusion that it’s okay to make more legendary armor for wvw, spvp and fractals or open world. So that, like raiders, we can also chase long term goals relating to unique, animated armor sets as well.

Sadly they said in the AMA they have no plans to release more legendary armor. Not sure if this means that is will only ever be attainable in raids or not. I hope not.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

legendary armor

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Technically, pretty much anything can be bought with real-world money. Does it mean there’s no prestige to be had at all in this world?

Yes, EXACTLY.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Imo every game mode should have its own unique rewards (including skins), as it encourages playing different parts of the game.
If you want an item from another game mode, just man up and go through it (what plenty of people do every day).

Want something? Earn it.
It is that simple.

legendary armor

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Imo every game mode should have its own unique rewards (including skins), as it encourages playing different parts of the game.

Again, though, there is NO benefit to ANYONE for any player to be playing a part of the game that he is not enjoying. Any system should be designed to respect player preferences, and while it might offer an incentive to play one mode over another "as in the goal is easier there), it should never hard wall off anything into one mode or another, because then you’d have players either engaging in content that they are not enjoying, or missing out on rewards that they really wanted, either of which would be an avoidable negative gameplay experience.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

legendary armor

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Technically, pretty much anything can be bought with real-world money. Does it mean there’s no prestige to be had at all in this world?

It just means that the prestige in real world is divided in two groups, one of which is based on money, and other on actual activity. The second one is not tied to any physical item (and the first one isn’t really either, though that may not be as apparent).

A gold medalist is still a gold medalist even without the medal. And merely posession of the medal doesn’t make you a gold medalist.
You can, for example, really easily buy an exact replica of the yellow jersey from Tour de France. It carries no prestige whatsoever, but it is also indistunguishable for all practical reasons from the real one. The prestige is not tied to the item.

And, in the other group, there are items that show off your wealth. But they also carry no prestige on their own, being merely a proxy. A Rolex worn by a homeless man on a street corner carries no prestige, because the real prestige doesn’t come from the item itself, but from the wealth of the person that bought it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

legendary armor

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

i made myself a full set of light for my main tempest and I am making medium set for my druid – so far I have chest and shoulder for my druid. I wasn’t so keen of the skin but after using it.. I like medium armor more.. the armor looks like made with dragon scale bounded by magic. there is a little dragon curled up in the pouch on the side. I hve grown to love the medium set more.. dragon spines behind the armor too.. and skull on the back.

https://youtu.be/JxsUvUD8asQ

Attachments:

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

legendary armor

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

Any system should be designed to respect player preferences, and while it might offer an incentive to play one mode over another "as in the goal is easier there), it should never hard wall off anything into one mode or another, because then you’d have players either engaging in content that they are not enjoying, or missing out on rewards that they really wanted, either of which would be an avoidable negative gameplay experience.

And this system is designed to respect the player preferences of those that want unique skins for their game mode. It wasn’t expected to respect the preference of those that don’t want it that way. Neither system is right or wrong, both work and they both appeal to very different crowds.

Anet can’t support both those that want unique skins locked behind content and those who don’t, so they have chosen to support those that do want that content. Why did they choose to support this particular model? Probably because that is what they want to support and probably because they feel that is what the majority of their customer’s want. So long as the game continues to do well and sell well, and people aren’t leaving the game over being unable to obtain skins in the method of their choosing, Anet really isn’t going to feel a need to change it. Rather instead, it looks like more people enjoy having skins available as unique rewards for specific content, that are not available anywhere in the game.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

legendary armor

Posted by: CrustyBot.3564

CrustyBot.3564

Exclusive rewards that do not serve a practical purpose but are status items should be locked behind some kind of dedicated task if Anet wishes to use them as a means of rewarding dedicated players. Due to GW2’s horizontal progression endgame, it means that players are encouraged to make their own long term goals. By saying that players should have access to everything just feels akin to using cheats to beat a single player game for the first time. More power to you, but you just rob yourself of “the journey”, which is the entire point of GW2. I don’t at all like the idea that players should be entitled to all status items simply because they have an account and that they want it. We have gemstore items and outfits for that kind of mindset. Some of which, by the way, looks better than certain Legendary Armor sets.

My only complaint is that there isn’t parity between the game modes. It’s never going to happen but even non animated exclusive ascended armor sets for fractals, spvp, wvw and open world would be nice. I know we have vendors now but it’s not the same as the envoy collection.

And it’s not like I’m someone who wants to keep Legendary Armor for myself or anything. At my current rate of raid progression and LI acquisition, we’d be deep into LW S4 before making Legendary Armor becomes an actual concern for me. It’s just the principle behind it all, what’s wrong with earning things?

(edited by CrustyBot.3564)

legendary armor

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Exclusive rewards that do not serve a practical purpose but are status items should be locked behind some kind of dedicated task if Anet wishes to use them as a means of rewarding dedicated players. Due to GW2’s horizontal progression endgame, it means that players are encouraged to make their own long term goals. By saying that players should have access to everything just feels akin to using cheats to beat a single player game for the first time. More power to you, but you just rob yourself of “the journey”, which is the entire point of GW2. I don’t at all like the idea that players should be entitled to all status items simply because they have an account and that they want it. We have gemstore items and outfits for that kind of mindset. Some of which, by the way, looks better than certain Legendary Armor sets.

My only complaint is that there isn’t parity between the game modes. It’s never going to happen but even non animated exclusive ascended armor sets for fractals, spvp, wvw and open world would be nice. I know we have vendors now but it’s not the same as the envoy collection.

And it’s not like I’m someone who wants to keep Legendary Armor for myself or anything. At my current rate of raid progression and LI acquisition, we’d be deep into LW S4 before making Legendary Armor becomes an actual concern for me. It’s just the principle behind it all, what’s wrong with earning things?

A player shouldn’t earn anything, they should be able to get everything with minimal effort.

W8 did i just say that?

legendary armor

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I still dont see how legendary armor can be measured as more than a convenience item for me. The skins are atrocious and there is no prestige in an item that can be purchased for real world money….particularly as the only visible indication of its nature would be functionally deleted.

Obviously some will lime the skins and will use them…but no (to me) prestige for something that can be purchased with real money and which is gated by time and grind.

Technically, pretty much anything can be bought with real-world money. Does it mean there’s no prestige to be had at all in this world? No. Regardless, it doesn’t make the item any more practical. I’m sure there are players which will use it as convenience item, and I’m also sure they are a very small minority. For the rest, it’s just vanity.

It does mean, in my opinion, that there is very little prestige to be had in gw2.

legendary armor

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Again, though, there is NO benefit to ANYONE for any player to be playing a part of the game that he is not enjoying.

For me, having a motivation to try and play other areas of the game as well as having unique rewards is clearly a benefit. Just because you do not like it, that does not mean there is “NO benefit to ANYONE”.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

Again, though, there is NO benefit to ANYONE for any player to be playing a part of the game that he is not enjoying.

Those that do not enjoy a specific part of the game, are not expected to play that specific part of the game. By extension, those rewards: weapon and armor skins, titles, and mini’s, are not intended for those players, but they are there to help entice them to try it. If they continue to do something that they don’t enjoy, that is on them, and their own choice. This is the current reward structure that we have in game.

There is expected to be a portion of the player base that dislikes this reward structure, but there is nothing to suggest that it detracts from the enjoyment of the majority of the player base. Nor is there anything to suggest that a change in the reward structure, in removing weapon and armor skins (not just limited to Legendary armor), would have a net gain positive with the player base, over the current reward structure.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

legendary armor

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

i made myself a full set of light for my main tempest and I am making medium set for my druid – so far I have chest and shoulder for my druid. I wasn’t so keen of the skin but after using it.. I like medium armor more.. the armor looks like made with dragon scale bounded by magic. there is a little dragon curled up in the pouch on the side. I hve grown to love the medium set more.. dragon spines behind the armor too.. and skull on the back.

Now use the armor on male human/norn/sylvari, or asura and charr race. You will have ugly bell nightmare.

legendary armor

Khyan.7039

If you want an item from another game mode, just man up and go through it (what plenty of people do every day).

Want something? Earn it.
It is that simple.

I agree with you, but, unfortunately, it’s too hard to argue something from players that can’t do any effort in this game.

I didn’t like pvp but I did it for the legendary backpack, and I learned to appareciate it at the end (reached platinum). As far as I know, we can’t do this legendary other than doing PvP. Should I complain? No.

It’s eactly the same thing for Raids.

The only issue is WvW because they need something shiny too. But instead of complaining about others rewards accessible, ask for actual new rewards for game modes that lacking shinies.

legendary armor

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

I still dont see how legendary armor can be measured as more than a convenience item for me. The skins are atrocious and there is no prestige in an item that can be purchased for real world money….particularly as the only visible indication of its nature would be functionally deleted.

Obviously some will lime the skins and will use them…but no (to me) prestige for something that can be purchased with real money and which is gated by time and grind.

Technically, pretty much anything can be bought with real-world money. Does it mean there’s no prestige to be had at all in this world? No. Regardless, it doesn’t make the item any more practical. I’m sure there are players which will use it as convenience item, and I’m also sure they are a very small minority. For the rest, it’s just vanity.

It does mean, in my opinion, that there is very little prestige to be had in gw2.

Yet there’s an awful lot of complaints about a prestige item.

legendary armor

Ashen.2907

Indeed there are complaints about locking a new tier of armor, with a brand new to the game functionality, behind one specific type of content.

legendary armor

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

About the tier, not it’s prestige.

I’m only interested in freeing inventory space and having access to easy rune swapping.

For all I care, they could sell poo armor skin of legendary tier on the TP and I’m pretty sure many would stop bothering anyone about this. I’m already using a transmutation stone on the butt cape part of the light leg armor myself and I’m probably not alone thinking the skin isn’t my cup of tea.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

I’m only interested in freeing inventory space and having access to easy rune swapping.

That’s the general motto behind the complaints. But I’m not buying it. Not at this scale. The armor is too expensive, and rune-swapping is done extremely rarely. Just because you can stat-swap it doesn’t mean you do. Swap to what, exactly? I already run the optimal runes. If it’s about practicality, then the legendary armor is just not worth it. Sure, there might be people who genuinely care about that. But they’d be the minority. The rest might very well think that’s what they care about. However, what they really care about is the exclusivity. They are seeing a new shiny in the game and they want it without the effort involved. Simple as that.

legendary armor

Talindra.4958

Now use the armor on male human/norn/sylvari, or asura and charr race. You will have ugly bell nightmare.

I don’t mind tht on Sylvari too .. I’m quiet happy with it :p
https://youtu.be/modITYUfffk

Australia

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

That’s the general motto behind the complaints. But I’m not buying it. Not at this scale. The armor is too expensive, and rune-swapping is done extremely rarely. Just because you can stat-swap it doesn’t mean you do. Swap to what, exactly? I already run the optimal runes. If it’s about practicality, then the legendary armor is just not worth it. Sure, there might be people who genuinely care about that. But they’d be the minority. The rest might very well think that’s what they care about. However, what they really care about is the exclusivity. They are seeing a new shiny in the game and they want it without the effort involved. Simple as that.

And yet, it is genuinely why I play raids and use my credit card to accelerate the process to get it. If I want that armor, I have to do it since there are no other path toward it.

In WvW, I enjoy swapping my build around to tailor it to different situation (zerg, raid, roam etc.) The game mode offers lot of different needs you can fine tune way beyond mere meta . Not having to waste runes while saving inventory space is a significant quality of life for me. Why are we suppose to accept only raider would deserve or find that relevant? No clue.

Anet can do whatever they want with their game, but as a customer I sure have the right to let them know what I think.

legendary armor

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

I take great pleasure in the fact that most players can’t get legendary armor.

Taking pleasure from the misery of others is not a good trait in my eyes, and is definitely the behaviour this game shouldn’t promote, as it is something that can only poison game community.

You are assuming that he is taking pleasure from the misery of others.

Why can’t his pleasure be that it is because it is an exclusive reward for a game mode that is the most challenging group content in the game, and that most people are either unwilling or unable to complete the content? There is pleasure in being able to achieve something that others are not, but that does not mean that it is malicious.

He didn’t say he was feeling pleasure from being able to finish a difficult content. He didn’t even say he felt pleasure from the fact other people can’t finish that content (which, by the way, is not really the same). What he felt was pleasure from the fact other people can’t get a certain specific item.
That’s just petty.

I just feel more special having a more scarce item, so there is value for me if you dont have it. Exclusive skins and scarce items have been a major part of gw2 and drive revenues and play time.

If I dont have an exclusive item I take pleasure in progressing towards it. If I dont want to progress I admire others that did obtain the item.

From my perspective you are acting spoiled and you forget the importance and meaning of exclusive skins.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

There is. It’s just not found in having a specific skin or class of gear.

I didn’t like pvp but I did it for the legendary backpack, and I learned to appareciate it at the end (reached platinum).

Ironically, it worked the opposite for me. I played pvp on semi-casual level, and it was fun. Then legendary backpack appeared, and i liked it too, so i played to get it. The result? I haven’t played a single pvp game (even for dailies) since i got the Ascension. Having that goal (and a pressure coming from the backpack having achievement requirements that had to be done within a certain timeframe) completely changed the nature of the game and turned something fun into a nightmare.
And, seriously, legendary armor does exactly the same for me as far as raids are concerned. It turns even those parts that might possibly be fun into something that feels really uncomfortable.
It’s became a huge demotivating factor.

From my perspective you are acting spoiled and you forget the importance and meaning of exclusive skins.

I didn’t forget any meaning of it. I just don’t believe there was one in the first place.

Wait, no, i do believe there’s a meaning. Exclusives are a good method to make people check a certain gamemode. I just don’t believe there’s any meaning in using those to make people continue to play that gamemode even after they’ve decided they didn’t like it. That’s just stupid, and usually causes the effect exactly opposite of the desired one – a faster burnout and diminished enjoyment of the game.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

legendary armor

Ashen.2907

Because you don’t stat swap and because the armor is too expensive for you, you assume the same is true for everyone else?

Hey, Ive never been to Idaho….so it doesn’t exist. Right?

legendary armor

Talindra.4958

As a gamer mmo mainly gw not other mmo. I play a bit of all content of the game. When raids first introduced I hv never done them before but I tried and cumulated 500li. When I was about 450.. I cut down my raids. So you know .. I am oceanic player in EU server.. playtime is awkward. Ping is average 400to 600. I don’t say I’m hardcore raiders bcos I only kill each boss once a week. I know some ppl do full clear more than once twice or triple times a week. I mean they enjoy it so why not. I have done all my raids with pugs. All my tittle eternal, slippery slub, demon demise etc done with pugs under many hours of wipes .. I even hv ppl telling me to uninstall the game when I fail to dodge Deimos cm in the first week .. thing with high ping I need time to adjust for my reflex and etc to respond before I need to due to the ping.. but some ppl don’t really understand tht so it’s ok. I know my focus is on the game not the people.
I hv also done both PvP leg wings and fractal.. if there’s leg armour coming for wvw and PvP .. you will see me there.
Guys and gals. If you really want it. Dont give up. If you give up don’t blame the game or the others. Try harder. If you can’t be bothered with it .. then by all means leave it .. I seen people non stop pestering and express how upset they are.. my goodness.
And seriously.. you can’t expect doing only escort weekly and earn legendary armour do you? It needs a bit more effort to it. And good job anet with the heart for wing 4.
But tbh. I don’t mind if anet give the leg armour free for all. Its not gonna hurt but our effort as the front line should be somehow regconised via tittle or something. Idk

Australia

legendary armor

Talindra.4958

Btw.. disregard how the armour look.. I’m buying for the stat swapping and etc. My tempest had 4sets of asc armour now reduced to 1 .. it’s awesome. I don’t always play meta build so this armour is g8

Australia

legendary armor

Khyan.7039

I said MALE sylvari. THAT ugly bell nightmare is only on MALE. :c

Just try it on male for a second and you will know what it is in the first second, because it’s terrible contrary to the females. I don’t really know why they did this.

(edited by Khyan.7039)

legendary armor

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I just want a game where the power and functionality of your gear is equalized for every player who plays consistently for any period of time at end game. I have no problem with different cosmetic rewards associated with different game modes.

Legendary armor sits right on the line of what is acceptable for me – and I honestly don’t know 100% how I feel about it. Functionality wise, it seems most beneficial to people who play a wide range of game modes, most notably fractals, raids and WvW, between which stat needs change significantly.

Given that this is probably the only set of legendary armor we will ever see (or at least the only one for several years to come),maybe the smarter path would have been to insist that players prove themselves at the top of their game across all game modes rather than limit it to raids – and definitely across raids and WvW.

And another part of me thinks that the functionality of legendary armor is just a little too good – that it runs counter to the cosmetic focused reward system that makes the game as good as it is. I worry that, by limiting it to a single game mode, it somehow elevates that game mode as more important than any other – something that GW2 has always managed to avoid (partly because legendary weapons did require mastery of the game across modes – at least to a small degree).

Again, I dont see this as a huge issue, but I do think Anet could have implemented legendary armor in a smarter and more gamewide approach.

legendary armor

Khyan.7039

As a gamer mmo mainly gw not other mmo. I play a bit of all content of the game. When raids first introduced I hv never done them before but I tried and cumulated 500li. When I was about 450.. I cut down my raids. So you know .. I am oceanic player in EU server.. playtime is awkward. Ping is average 400to 600. I don’t say I’m hardcore raiders bcos I only kill each boss once a week. I know some ppl do full clear more than once twice or triple times a week. I mean they enjoy it so why not. I have done all my raids with pugs. All my tittle eternal, slippery slub, demon demise etc done with pugs under many hours of wipes .. I even hv ppl telling me to uninstall the game when I fail to dodge Deimos cm in the first week .. thing with high ping I need time to adjust for my reflex and etc to respond before I need to due to the ping.. but some ppl don’t really understand tht so it’s ok. I know my focus is on the game not the people.
I hv also done both PvP leg wings and fractal.. if there’s leg armour coming for wvw and PvP .. you will see me there.
Guys and gals. If you really want it. Dont give up. If you give up don’t blame the game or the others. Try harder. If you can’t be bothered with it .. then by all means leave it .. I seen people non stop pestering and express how upset they are.. my goodness.
And seriously.. you can’t expect doing only escort weekly and earn legendary armour do you? It needs a bit more effort to it. And good job anet with the heart for wing 4.

Yes.

But tbh. I don’t mind if anet give the leg armour free for all. Its not gonna hurt but our effort as the front line should be somehow regconised via tittle or something. Idk

No. Players have to deal with these kind of things. Raids aren’t the only mode where shinies are locked behind it. And Title as compensation are absolutely pointless, even more when you have titles from challenge motes.

Every MMO do this, even the popular one such as wow or ffxiv. I think devs are smart enough to ignore these unnecessary complains.

Ascended will be obsolete fast enough if it were available everywhere by most players, like the exotic stuff. Not gonna happen.

People try to argue that it’s for the sigil swap but in fact even if it was available they’ll ask for more, like the skin and the animations. You want it? Do the raids. You don’t like raids? Don’t get it. The game will not stop because you can’t have it.
The game is not mylittleponyland where you can have everything from the gamemode you like the most.

As far as I know, you can’t have Ad infinitum without doing fractals, nor Ascension without PvP, nor some skin armor from PvP and WvW aswell. Why raids shouldn’t have exclusives armor too? I don’t understand. If I don’t like fractals or PvP, but only raids, then I can’t have a backpack where I can swap stat; should I complain about it?
And the legendary weapons where you need to do a lot of PvE for the gift of exploration and such, I don’t like PvE but only PvP; should I complain about it?

All these complains are just laziness and selfishness to me.

(edited by Khyan.7039)

legendary armor

Talindra.4958

I said MALE sylvari. THAT ugly bell nightmare is only on MALE. :c

Just try it on male for a second and you will know what it is in the first second, because it’s terrible contrary to the females. I don’t really know why they did this.

Lol :x

Australia

legendary armor

Talindra.4958

Just wait ..The game doesn’t end here. Anet always look after their players .. they can’t come up with something to please everyone in one night .. I’m happy with everything I get from them ..I’m too easy to please hehe

Australia

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

And yet, it is genuinely why I play raids and use my credit card to accelerate the process to get it. If I want that armor, I have to do it since there are no other path toward it.

In WvW, I enjoy swapping my build around to tailor it to different situation (zerg, raid, roam etc.) The game mode offers lot of different needs you can fine tune way beyond mere meta . Not having to waste runes while saving inventory space is a significant quality of life for me. Why are we suppose to accept only raider would deserve or find that relevant? No clue.

Anet can do whatever they want with their game, but as a customer I sure have the right to let them know what I think.

Like I said, I’m sure there are players like that. I’m also sure not nearly all of the players who are raising the complaints are like that. My point was that the QoL in question is likely percieved like a lot more than it actually is by your average player.

You’re doing the sensible thing by the way – you’re raiding to get it. It’s not that ANet thinks only raiders “deserve” this QoL you’re talking about, it’s that ANet thinks this gives more players the incentive to raid. Which, in your case, turns out to be correct.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Just wait ..The game doesn’t end here.

I keep hearing this since i first voiced up my concerns. Which was before HoT launch.
The situation didn’t seem to improve at all, quite the opposite.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

You’re doing the sensible thing by the way – you’re raiding to get it. It’s not that ANet thinks only raiders “deserve” this QoL you’re talking about, it’s that ANet thinks this gives more players the incentive to raid. Which, in your case, turns out to be correct.

What do you think will happen after I get it tho? I’ve seen what coercing ppl where they do not want ended-up doing.

legendary armor

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

What do you think will happen after I get it tho? I’ve seen what coercing ppl where they do not want ended-up doing.

You will either keep raiding, stop raiding or raid occasionally. For those that enjoyed their time they will keep doing it, maybe make more armour, enjoy getting other collectibles. Those that hated every minute of it will finally gtfo and hopefully stop complaining about being forced to do something entirely optional. Those that had ups and downs will probably poke their noses into raids when new wings come out and maybe kill a few bosses with friends every now and then.

Thing is I don’t know many people that haven’t tried to raid, I even know WvW players that have had a hard time but have slowly improved over months to a point where they are getting a few kills a week easily. They just lack that little extra to get full clears.

legendary armor

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Legendary armor should be exactly like legendary weapons: accessible to everyone with the time or the gold to make/buy them. It makes no logical sense otherwise.

(Also it’s a complete waste of all that effort they put into developing transforming armor if they only use it once and then abandon it forever, since I doubt they’re going to start implementing it into future armor for normal people).

and why arent ppl complainin about the caustic nightmare skins bein locked behind 100 cm or gold fractal weapons?

For starters, those are reskins of other weapons. Also I don’t think anyone actually likes them, since you don’t see them often.

legendary armor

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Legendary armor should be exactly like legendary weapons: accessible to everyone with the time or the gold to make/buy them. It makes no logical sense otherwise.

(Also it’s a complete waste of all that effort they put into developing transforming armor if they only use it once and then abandon it forever, since I doubt they’re going to start implementing it into future armor for normal people).

and why arent ppl complainin about the caustic nightmare skins bein locked behind 100 cm or gold fractal weapons?

For starters, those are reskins of other weapons. Also I don’t think anyone actually likes them, since you don’t see them often.

idk i see the golden weapons very often. Same thing with the armors tho alot of ppl hate the sets

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

Really? Then why gen 2 legendaries cannot be bought on the TP? Why many of the materials required for them cannot be bought either, but instead you have to play time and again HoT meta events?

legendary armor

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

but you can do exactly that .
dont have the desire or ability to do the raids? you can certainly pay someone else to do it for you.

just like you may or may not have the time or desire to do (insert legendary here) i can certainly pay someone else to do it for me via the Black lion Trading post.

legendary armor

Fatalyz.7168

but you can do exactly that .
dont have the desire or ability to do the raids? you can certainly pay someone else to do it for you.

just like you may or may not have the time or desire to do (insert legendary here) i can certainly pay someone else to do it for me via the Black lion Trading post.

You can’t exactly “pay” someone to complete the second collection for you. It requires that you be alive at the end of the fight, and have completed a specific task for that fight. I suppose you couple pay for the fights, and hope that over time you are able to complete the achievements.

legendary armor

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I always find it strange that the only complaint about legendary armor is always the LI requirements. No one ever seems to mention the huge amount of materials necessary.

Anyone willing to do escort,trio,and mursaat overseer each week, can have legendary armor in less than a year. Even when pugging, that seems like a lot less effort to me than grinding out all the material costs.

It just seems like people focus on one aspect of the journey, and that aspect isn’t even the real time sink.

legendary armor

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I always find it strange that the only complaint about legendary armor is always the LI requirements. No one ever seems to mention the huge amount of materials necessary.

Anyone willing to do escort,trio,and mursaat overseer each week, can have legendary armor in less than a year. Even when pugging, that seems like a lot less effort to me than grinding out all the material costs.

It just seems like people focus on one aspect of the journey, and that aspect isn’t even the real time sink.

It’s not a timesink with the power of the credit card!

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Lot of materials necessary are generally considered to be normal, given that it’s a legendary gear. It’s the fact that one of those materials is so strongly tied to a single content (and one that’s not too widely liked) that creates a concern.

It’s not a time sink that’s a problem. It’s the specific content that this time sink is tied to (and that it is heavily timegated).

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

Lot of materials necessary are generally considered to be normal, given that it’s a legendary gear. It’s the fact that one of those materials is so strongly tied to a single content (and one that’s not too widely liked) that creates a concern.

It’s not a time sink that’s a problem. It’s the specific content that this time sink is tied to (and that it is heavily timegated).

Time-gating I’d say is a necessity. Otherwise players would just be farming Gorseval or Mursaat over and over again for LIs. Nobody wants just another CoF farm.

Tying to specific content shouldn’t surprise you. It’s not the first item to be tied in this way, it won’t be the last. Ever did a gen-2 legendary? They used to require ungodly amounts of grind in HoT zones. This got severely reduced, but you still have to play each and every HoT maps multiple times to get the materials required. It’s just a way to keep players interested in that specific content.

legendary armor

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

You can get the material from any part of the game. It doesn’t ask you to play content you do not care much for. LI on the other hand…

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Time-gating I’d say is a necessity. Otherwise players would just be farming Gorseval or Mursaat over and over again for LIs. Nobody wants just another CoF farm.

Tying to specific content shouldn’t surprise you. It’s not the first item to be tied in this way, it won’t be the last. Ever did a gen-2 legendary? They used to require ungodly amounts of grind in HoT zones. This got severely reduced, but you still have to play each and every HoT maps multiple times to get the materials required. It’s just a way to keep players interested in that specific content.

the problem is not about just tying a material to a single content. The problem is about what content it is tied to (the more narrow, the greater the problem usually), and how big that grind is. The HoT maps grind is not even remotedly in the same category as the LI one.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

the problem is not about just tying a material to a single content. The problem is about what content it is tied to (the more narrow, the greater the problem usually), and how big that grind is. The HoT maps grind is not even remotedly in the same category as the LI one.

You’re missing the point. There, I’ll repeat myself:
It’s just a way to keep players interested in that specific content.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

Oh, i’m very well aware of that. That doesn’t make what i said any less true however.

Notice also, that while it does keep some players “interested”, it also makes other players give up earlier than if the requirements were lower.

Actions, not words.

legendary armor

Feanor.2358

Oh, i’m very well aware of that. That doesn’t make what i said any less true however.

Notice also, that while it does keep some players “interested”, it also makes other players give up earlier than if the requirements were lower.

There will always be those who quit “earlier”. Your goal isn’t to keep everyone “in” – which would be literally impossible – it is to keep as many as you can. There will always be “problems” with any given design decision. Maybe you should consider the possibility ANet have a better judgement on that and they chose this particular design as the optimal solution in regards to their own goals. Underlining problems (which are largely subjective in this thread) isn’t really helpful or constructive.

legendary armor

Astralporing.1957

There will always be those who quit “earlier”. Your goal isn’t to keep everyone “in” – which would be literally impossible – it is to keep as many as you can.

Sure, but, as i said, extending the grind may keep some players longer, but will make others give up (because, for them, it will push the goal so far away it might seem unreachable). Choosing the correct amount is a really precise job, and Anet is unfortunatly not known for precise balancing of anything. Quite the opposite, whenever they tried that, they have been known for overshooting the mark by a mile, repeatedly.
And that’s exactly what i think happened in this case.

Maybe you should consider the possibility ANet have a better judgement on that

Their history doesn’t give me much hope in that regard. They have been known to make some really bad judgements about player expectations in the past. Especially where grind was concerned. And they definitely haven’t ever shown to be really good at balancing the reward versus effort.

So if i don’t really trust them to know what they’re doing, it’s only because i have some pretty good reasons for it.

Actions, not words.