Romanticist vs Pragmatist

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

tl;dr: Just a different way to view the casual/elite issue. Are you a romantic or a pragmatist? Mostly just me soapboxing.

This is actually a topic about mentalities that people hold. The popular view on people’s mentalities is the “casual vs. elite.” I kinda wanted to toss this idea out here and see what people think.

The idea of Superheroes vs. SWAT was sparked in my mind when talking with one of my guildies about clearing dungeons. He is one of the people who likes to kill everything in the dungeon. In a Guild run (the only kind he does) we usually agree before running whether it’s going to be a “kill everything run” or a “speed run”. When I asked him why he likes killing everything, he said, “When I go into a bad guy’s lair, I’m going in there to defeat all of the bad guys.”

First, I’d like to premise this by saying I’m not criticizing either group of people I’m about to describe. Also, I’d like to say that it’s not 2 distinct camps, but a spectrum that people can possess varying degrees of one side or the other.

I’d like to suggest that there are people who play this game to be “Superheroes”. After all, our characters can do really amazing things. Leap dozens of yards, teleport, cure poison by yelling at it, raise the dead. These people hold a romantic’s notion of the incredible abilities of their characters, and build their characters to help reinforce their ideals.

I feel like the romantic’s notion of a fight/dungeon crawl is to kick in the door, rush in and engage the bad guys on their home turf. Think comic books where the hero smashes through the window, the robbers shoot bullets but those bounce off the hero’s chest. People build “tank” and “support” characters because they believe they can do better in a fight protecting the soft squishy people. LOSing is an exploit because the game is meant to be played a certain way and LOSing violates that preconceived notion.

I’d like to suggest that there are people who play this game to be “SWAT”. Practicality, efficiency, maximizing gains, minimizing losses. When a SWAT team is required to clear a dangerous situation, they approach it with pragmatism, research and training. In real life, your teammates’ lives are on the line, in game, it’s your time and patience that is the price to pay.

I feel like the pragmatist’s notion of a fight/dungeon crawl is to approach each encounter from every aspect and select which one is the best for the situation as far as time/effort/cost/profit. Sometimes this even means choosing Not to engage a certain encounter. For a SWAT officer, a bad situation would be to have to go toe-to-toe with an equally armed enemy. You give yourself the advantage by taking cover in a fight.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with being either a Romanticist or a Pragmatist, or any part of the spectrum in-between. I do feel that trying to understand why clashes occur, why some people dislike a tactic while others think it’s acceptable is important. I also feel that it’s important for people to play with people whose playstyles align most closely with theirs because then they’ll be a lot happier. And of course assuming that you can’t (you need to PUG some people to fill out a group), having open communication to see where everyone stands so you can all agree on a group position when running a dungeon will minimize conflict as well.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

LOSing is an exploit because the game is meant to be played a certain way and LOSing violates that preconceived notion.

You thought you could just sneak that in there, didn’t you?

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

LOSing is an exploit because the game is meant to be played a certain way and LOSing violates that preconceived notion.

You thought you could just sneak that in there, didn’t you?

LOL

Oceanic [LOD]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

The game is made up of 2 kinds of people. BHB’s and non BHBs. That is all. There are no superheros or swats. There are simply those who have the hurt within them, and those who dish the hurt out to the enemies.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

So..let me get this straight.

If a mob is going to shoot me on the face…I am not intended to find cover and let him mutilate me?

btw, id like to ask how you know the developer’s intention of LoS strategies in general. It seems you personally know them and that they told you that general LoS strategies are definitely not intended and thus an exploit. I ask because I bet they thought of the idea since the obvious “no line of sight” message pops up when i aim a skill without..well..line of sight. Maybe they should equip mobs with 4-6.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

The italics suggested to me that when he said LoSing is an exploit he was simply saying that’s how the “superheroes” feel, not his actual opinion.

Seriously you guys.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

DigitalKirin.9714

Thank you, colesy.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Most topics are about trash-killers complaining on trash-skippers. Rarely the other way around. Everyone has the choice to play either way with likeminded ppl. But most of the conflict arises when trash-killers are fixated on changing dungeons such that skipping is not possible and thereby the removing such choice.

(edited by mosspit.8936)

DigitalKirin.9714

Berry well then! o_o)-b

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

As to the OP, I applaud him for taking time to actually think about the issue. I like his analogy, too. I suppose one thing to consider is why it is people want to be SWAT or a superheroes. Another thing to consider is why it is people _don’t_want to be a SWAT or a superhero. It is there that things really become interesting.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

The problem i see in the dungeon’s forum is that the allegedly hardcore guilds of this game spend more time trolling here than playing the game. I think this is because of the lack of endgame, the only true endgame in gw2 are the living stories but the so-called hardcore players refuse to do it because it makes then look casual.

ANet should give then more non-casual endgame stuff to do so they can stop trolling here. Seriously, you don’t see this kind of bad behavior from the hardcore pvp or wvw players in their foruns.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

What’s a BHB?

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

colesy.8490

blood red sociologist strikes again

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve seen in threads I haven’t posted in. Ergo, it isn’t directed at me. And yes, it is quite a bit more complicated than just partying with likeminded people.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Moderator)

mosspit.8936

Anyways my stance on trash-killing or trash-skipping has not changed since the earlier days. And while I skip trash more often than killing them, I do not have anything against either. I am against the removal of the choice to do either.

You think it is more complicated than what I said? By all means. However, my stance is not going to change.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

did you guys know that los-ing is mentioned in the gw2 strategy guide?

Vox Hollow.2736

@moss
That’s a bit of a foregone conclusion. When’s the last time you saw somebody change their stance in an internet debate?

Wukunlin.8461

I change my stance all the time

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Wow, stances are for noobs. Shouts or gtfo

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Vox Hollow.2736

@Wun
Really?
I’m going to wait with baited breath for the next thread you’re posting in. :p

Wukunlin.8461

Wow, stances are for noobs. Shouts or gtfo

but… but… http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vigorous_Focus

Oceanic [LOD]

mosspit.8936

I really need to roll a warrior.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

did you guys know that los-ing is mentioned in the gw2 strategy guide?

There’s a strategy guide?

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Boldy Hyther Belootle

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

colesy.8490

@moss
That’s a bit of a foregone conclusion. When’s the last time you saw somebody change their stance in an internet debate?

how about when we all stopped jerking to war/guard/mes and now actually run classes on their own merits?

i’d change my stance on here a lot more if people would give me better arguments than play how you want.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

The problem i see in the dungeon’s forum is that the allegedly hardcore guilds of this game spend more time trolling here than playing the game. I think this is because of the lack of endgame, the only true endgame in gw2 are the living stories but the so-called hardcore players refuse to do it because it makes then look casual.

Nah. There are a lot less posts on the weekend when we actually get to play a lot. During the week when we are bored at work and can’t play, we post here.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Uh oh, it’s this thread again, and I have no popcorn!

haviz.1340

Imagine smashing pinata for hardcores.

Anyway, some of us, maybe even majority, are doing it but what can you do after you finish new TA story mode? Do you repeat story mode dungeons?

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

tl;dr;
I play how I want.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: coronaas.4362

coronaas.4362

@moss

how about when we all stopped jerking to war/guard/mes and now actually run classes on their own merits?

I got kicked out of a pug yesterday because he only wanted hardcore elitest warriors and I was playing my litham ele

<.<
>.>

The Big Bad Behr – Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/coronaas

Wukunlin.8461

@Wun
Really?
I’m going to wait with baited breath for the next thread you’re posting in. :p

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Guardian-PTV/first#post2984320

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

good read. thanks for sharing your views on it, OP.

DigitalKirin.9714

tl;dr;
I play how I want.

More accurately:

If you want to play how you want, find like-minded people, because joining groups that have a different requirement than what you are providing is just going to cause conflict.

Also, if you find yourself in the minority in a group, it’s better to leave peaceably with an explanation than to stay in a group and suffer their presence and have them suffer yours.

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

@moss

I got kicked out of a pug yesterday because he only wanted hardcore elitest warriors and I was playing my litham ele

<.<
>.>

Pugs don’t count. I had a mesmer leave his own group earlier today because we had 2 guards and he wanted 1 guard, 3 warriors and him as a mesmer. lol.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Posted by: Himax.3954

Himax.3954

While your basic descriptions here are very astute, ultimately this is a matter more for the devs than for the players.

The ones who DESIGN the dungeons are supposed to have a grasp of the different playstyles, and more importantly what is expected of the players, to beat them.

I am most certainly a romanticist in regards to your definitions here. I can respect the skill required to slip past an enemy in order to avoid them. But if the point of a dungeon is just to get to the end as fast as possible for loot, then you’re not really PLAYING the game at all.

You can argue this case a thousand different ways, but ultimately the devs have to decide what they want dungeon runs to be, and how many different choices we can potentially make.

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Anyone who says dungeons aren’t supposed to be speed cleared is lying, we, as in humans, like to do everything quickly, that applies to everything, be it games or real life, do you move at 20 mph to enjoy the view and street signs and the people on your way to work which you’ve been to hundreds of times or do you try to get there as fast as possible so you’re not late?
Dungeons are the same thing, we’ve done a lot of dungeons a lot of time, we don’t do dungeons slowly with pvt gear while marvelling at each boss and mob’s mechanics and animation which we’ve seen a lot, we just do it as fast as possible.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Wukunlin.8461

was there so much whining about people doing speedclears in gw1?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

It got to a certain point in GW1, where pretty much the only vocal players still around were the speed clearers.

I imagine it’ll end up similar in this game.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

It was different in GW1. Of all the whining I heard back then, I never heard people say “you’re not playing the game” or “stacking mobs/using pull techniques is exploiting”.

It mostly boiled down to “Shadow Form is OP”, which was true, but most of them added some crappy arguments here and there, and insisted on Shadow Form being nerfed, which wouldn’t solve anything. Especially seeing how Shadow Form wasn’t the skill that made speedclears so easy. It was Shroud of Distress. (Shadow Form made you immune to spells after a bunch of nerfs -it used to make you immune to all damage-, and Shroud of Distress gave you a bazillion regen when you dropped below 50% hp.)

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

haviz.1340

Run Arah without skipping 100+ times, I’ll do the same but with skipping. Let’s see who gets bored first, a person who is playing a game or the person who isn’t.

This whole whining is ridiculous, what happened to ‘play how you want’?

mosspit.8936

Run Arah without skipping 100+ times, I’ll do the same but with skipping. Let’s see who gets bored first, a person who is playing a game or the person who isn’t.

This whole whining is ridiculous, what happened to ‘play how you want’?

But thats not fair. Cose you have already ran Arah 100+ times.

haviz.1340

So? I can do them again.

mosspit.8936

So? I can do them again.

I meant unfair… for you.

haviz.1340

I meant unfair… for you.

I’m sure I can handle it, unlike BHBs.

DigitalKirin.9714

While your basic descriptions here are very astute, ultimately this is a matter more for the devs than for the players.

The ones who DESIGN the dungeons are supposed to have a grasp of the different playstyles, and more importantly what is expected of the players, to beat them.

I am most certainly a romanticist in regards to your definitions here. I can respect the skill required to slip past an enemy in order to avoid them. But if the point of a dungeon is just to get to the end as fast as possible for loot, then you’re not really PLAYING the game at all.

You can argue this case a thousand different ways, but ultimately the devs have to decide what they want dungeon runs to be, and how many different choices we can potentially make.

I highly disagree about this being a dev issue. It isn’t in the interest of the developers to straightjacket players through hard coding the game a certain way. There must be flexibility in the system to allow players to feel like they are free to make their own choices. There is a rule framework that ANet has about what is and isn’t an exploit. For example, as much as it might irk some people, skipping certain sections of trash mobs isn’t an exploit, and has been mentioned before by devs to not be exploits.
(Hrouda on skipping, Vaughn on skipping)

The developers have given us a sandbox. We as players have to take a certain amount of responsibility to avoid kicking sand in each others’ faces/privates. This might mean playing in different corners of the sandbox.

mosspit.8936

I highly disagree about this being a dev issue. It isn’t in the interest of the developers to straightjacket players through hard coding the game a certain way. There must be flexibility in the system to allow players to feel like they are free to make their own choices. There is a rule framework that ANet has about what is and isn’t an exploit. For example, as much as it might irk some people, skipping certain sections of trash mobs isn’t an exploit, and has been mentioned before by devs to not be exploits.
(Hrouda on skipping, Vaughn on skipping)

The developers have given us a sandbox. We as players have to take a certain amount of responsibility to avoid kicking sand in each others’ faces/privates. This might mean playing in different corners of the sandbox.

+1

Also wonder what your next title change will be.

(edited by mosspit.8936)

DigitalKirin.9714

Also wonder what your next title change will be.

Not my fault. Looks like someone got a mod to change it.

mosspit.8936

Pity. Was really hoping that was you.

Vox Hollow.2736

Well, you certainly don’t disappoint a girl, I’ll give you that.