wonder what anet will do about this

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I don’t think it would be too hard. Each skill would need have to flags like “big damage”, “active defense”, “stun break”, etc so game could keep track of your skills. Enemy attacks would also have to be flagged like “control skill”, “defense”.

Then during skill selection, AI would check target/targets for flags and increase priority of certain skills. Then during it’s random selection it would more likely choose more appropriate skills.

Only problem is I have no idea how much processing time AI can use so this could already be too much. Also people don’t generally like too good AI.

Also enemies need actually decent skills to make use of any AI.

The combination of an extended array of skills + checking 10-15 skills of each player + the skills of the mobs sounds like it is too long probably.

In all honesty, if we had a decent AI for the enemies so that they would actually react we’d already make a huge step into the right direction. Giving them the ability to dodge (well, maybe exceptions like Lupicus shouldn’t exactly dodge but use something else… A dodging Lupicus would look weird I guess lol), let them run out of AoE, give them skills that synergize and let them put those skills to good use… (gw1 had that with War in Kryta and Winds of Change) etc.

There would be a “global AI” which checks players like every 5-10 seconds and then gives them appropriate flags. So enemies would only have to check these ~5 flags. So if you use all your dodges and blocks “global AI” would flag you as “vulnerable” and then suddenly you would become an aggro magnet.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

Making current necro the best tank ever?

Sorry couldn’t resist. I know Im oversimplyfying/ignoring the rest of what you wrote earlier on with that statement.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

If it doesn’t affect their precious living story or fledgling esports, they’ll do something about it next year. Or probably 2015.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Soon *

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

If it doesn’t affect their precious living story or fledgling esports, they’ll do something about it next year. Or probably 2015.

Wait if next year isn’t 2015, in which year are we living then?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Most people cant even dodge grubs. They probably wouldnt have dps gear either.

It would be really stupid for anet to change a boss which has been considered challenging and well designed for the last 2 years.

I honestly wouldn’t call Lupicus well designed, perhaps just designed. Plenty of bugs, inconsistencies and trivial attacks.

For example

- Prevent instant reset at doors and Lupicus walking out of arena
- Prevent players getting out of combat inside the arena

Phase 1:
- Should attack more frequently (kick and infection) to increase pressure
- Infection should be an area attack with poison gas effect
- Locusts shouldn’t spawn behind wall
- Locust spawns should be normalized
- Roar should cause frontal infection cone
- Double effect of Empowered
- Remove or rework phase grub

Phase 2:
- Add missing circles to frenzied blasts
- Fix bug with dash making Lupicus disappear
- Make sweep more faster and frequent to increase pressure
- Stop using bolt on close targets
- Remove safe zone (no melee hits or bolts)
- Remove reflect instagib: Damage cap/reduction or make projectiles appear higher

Phase 3:
- Remove walling

Agreed with this all except what do you mean by “safe zone”? I’m aware of his ranged attack not hitting when standing in melee range but you can always be hit by his sweeps if in melee range unless you go behind him, which makes perfect sense to me. I’m guessing you’re talking about something else.

IvanTheGrey.2941

Wait if next year isn’t 2015, in which year are we living then?

I meant 2016 :/ math fail

Wethospu.6437

Most people cant even dodge grubs. They probably wouldnt have dps gear either.

It would be really stupid for anet to change a boss which has been considered challenging and well designed for the last 2 years.

I honestly wouldn’t call Lupicus well designed, perhaps just designed. Plenty of bugs, inconsistencies and trivial attacks.

For example

- Prevent instant reset at doors and Lupicus walking out of arena
- Prevent players getting out of combat inside the arena

Phase 1:
- Should attack more frequently (kick and infection) to increase pressure
- Infection should be an area attack with poison gas effect
- Locusts shouldn’t spawn behind wall
- Locust spawns should be normalized
- Roar should cause frontal infection cone
- Double effect of Empowered
- Remove or rework phase grub

Phase 2:
- Add missing circles to frenzied blasts
- Fix bug with dash making Lupicus disappear
- Make sweep more faster and frequent to increase pressure
- Remove safe zone (no melee hits or bolts)
- Remove reflect instagib: Damage cap/reduction or make projectiles appear higher

Phase 3:
- Remove walling

Agreed with this all except what do you mean by “safe zone”? I’m aware of his ranged attack not hitting when standing in melee range but you can always be hit by his sweeps if in melee range unless you go behind him, which makes perfect sense to me. I’m guessing you’re talking about something else.

At certain range he won’t use sweeps and bolts won’t hit you.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I assume if his necrid bolts can hit you even in melee range, you’d run out of defensive options way too fast.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I assume if his necrid bolts can hit you even in melee range, you’d run out of defensive options way too fast.

Or encourage the practice of 100% reflect uptime… whalecum back mesmers!!!

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Or encourage the practice of 100% reflect uptime… whalecum back mesmers!!!

Then you’d need a lot of classes with reflects in your group. Not sure if Wardens can block/reflect the bolt and I’d assume temporal curtain can’t either. If every projectile reflect/destroy skill can reflect the bolt however it would be better. As usual though necros would get the short end of the stick this way.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Not sure if Wardens can block/reflect the bolt and I’d assume temporal curtain can’t either.

Wardens can block e v e r y t h i n g :-)

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Not sure if Wardens can block/reflect the bolt and I’d assume temporal curtain can’t either.

Wardens can block e v e r y t h i n g :-)

I know that they’re magic projectile eaters and I’m amazed every time they do.
It’s more about the fact where the projectile spawns and where it hits; If it hits you at a point higher than the Wardens (for example) can reach…

Tom Yzf.5872

both warden and temporal curtain can reflect bolt, the latter being a little harder to position.

Wethospu.6437

I would just make them hit bit closer so either you are at melee range or bolt range.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I would just make them hit bit closer so either you are at melee range or bolt range.

That however sounds good enough.

Purple Miku.7032

At certain range he won’t use sweeps and bolts won’t hit you.

But isn’t it out of melee range (at least on a warrior)? I feel kind of ashamed for not knowing this detail. I haven’t really put any effort into looking for a spot like this before but I’m interested now.

Tom Yzf.5872

Yes it is out of melee range for a warr, but if you’re on nade engi or scepter guard it doesn’t matter.

Purple Miku.7032

I guess it makes sense why I’m not familiar with it, because I only have ever played warrior and elementalist.

I get really annoyed with phase 2 RNG 1-shotting when on Ruby Miku so I always wall him with FGS. I’m tempted to check this “safe zone” out with staff now lol… oh god wait what am I thinking, off-wall staff solo?!

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I dont know the range you need to be standing. But id imagine you can use ele lightning whip safely and still hit lupi from it.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I guess it makes sense why I’m not familiar with it, because I only have ever played warrior and elementalist.

I get really annoyed with phase 2 RNG 1-shotting when on Ruby Miku so I always wall him with FGS. I’m tempted to check this “safe zone” out with staff now lol… oh god wait what am I thinking, off-wall staff solo?!

As if an off-wall staff solo is weird in comparison to tons of other weird Lupi solos. :P

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

So from what I’ve been seeing, this is definitely considered the new “correct” way to kill Lupi if there’s a guard in your party. It’s become popular enough that, like the boat skip, I think it’s gonna actually get ANet’s attention.

I’m curious which would be the worst fix:

1) Unblockable phase 2 AoEs

discussed at length already

2) They “fix” Consecrated Ground to not work on walls.

That’s right. It’s gonna end up like wardens. Works on level ground (part of the time, anyway), but super iffy on a slope/bumps. Like blink getting snagged on a rock, etc.

I think I would actually prefer option 2. Consecrated Ground was never a very popular trait, and nerfing it would just put things back the way they were before someone figured this out, with pretty much no fallout.

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

That’s right. It’s gonna end up like wardens. Works on level ground (part of the time, anyway), but super iffy on a slope/bumps. Like blink getting snagged on a rock, etc.

I think I would actually prefer option 2. Consecrated Ground was never a very popular trait, and nerfing it would just put things back the way they were before someone figured this out, with pretty much no fallout.

They would have to fix other reflects the same way. Turrets can be dropped up there with supply crate (and probably the trait to throw turrets too). “Toss elixir U” comes with the ability to be thrown, with a 50% chance of being WoR. I’m not sure if feedback can also be aimed up there or not. A better option would be an invisible wall that extends above the visible wall.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

They would have to fix other reflects the same way. Turrets can be dropped up there with supply crate (and probably the trait to throw turrets too). “Toss elixir U” comes with the ability to be thrown, with a 50% chance of being WoR. I’m not sure if feedback can also be aimed up there or not. A better option would be an invisible wall that extends above the visible wall.

Yes, Engi can do that, RNGsus has to be generous though.
Feedback can be placed IF there is a locust swarm on the wall which can happen sometimes. Temporal Curtain works too iirc.

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

It would be easier to limit the reflects per skill. 20 projectiles per feedback/wall/etc sounds fair. Anything above 20 will get absorbed instead. When you bomb lupi on the wall I counted around 60 or 70 reflected projectiles. Normal feedback does about 15 to 20 so the limit will not stop passing p2 with one feedback but will stop those insta kill anomalies.

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

Feedback can be placed IF there is a locust swarm on the wall

You don’t need a target to cast feedback. I guess someone has tried and it didn’t reach high enough?

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Feedback can be placed IF there is a locust swarm on the wall

You don’t need a target to cast feedback. I guess someone has tried and it didn’t reach high enough?

It simply spawns in front of you, it does not care about any terrain changes. I managed to cast my feedback into the ground once and I doubt they changed that by now. //Also you’d have to make some room between Lupi and you and as everyone knows, Lupi likes to cuddle starting with p2.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Next balance patch:

•Wall of Reflection: Fixed this ability so it no longer reflects projectiles.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Next balance patch:

Next they need to remove the fact that it’s a light field. Whirling in it to have a slight chance at curing people’s conditions is an exploit and mitigates the need for other more survival based gear sets.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Next balance patch:

Ah, Kirin, Kirin… you…
GAHHH!
/throws rabid kitten at your face

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

This really needs to get fixed
do not alter the way WoR works, the right and easy fix would be to make the Lupi wall non targetable (with invisible walls in front of it)
it would take roughly 10-15 mins of dev time, but it’s worth it, this exploit ruins the fun of the whole lupi fight

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

do not alter the way WoR works, the right and easy fix would be to make the Lupi wall non targetable (with invisible walls in front of it)
it would take roughly 10-15 mins of dev time, but it’s worth it, this exploit ruins the fun of the whole lupi fight

10-15 mins that could be spent sucking living story farmer kitten? no way!

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Stop doing that and fight him differently if it ruins your fun.

IvanTheGrey.2941

Stop doing that and fight him differently if it ruins your fun.

I agree. If I don’t want people to fight Lupi on wall during a pug or a trial, I’ll start the fight behind Lupi and push him away from the wall. You can do the same if you really don’t like it. Don’t ruin someone else’s fun. (I like seeing Lupi explode like a water balloon sometimes. It’s funny after the 500th time fighting him)

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

The easy way to fix it would be making the trait require LoS lol

Why do people need to put WoR on walls and ceilings anyway, stop that

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

i tried it on mesmer yesterday. its fun to see it few times, but when pugs really start doing it as 100% current strategy it kinda breaks my heart

Tom Yzf.5872

i tried it on mesmer yesterday. its fun to see it few times, but when pugs really start doing it as 100% current strategy it kinda breaks my heart

Could you explain how you manage to avoid spawning a clone when blocking with sword4? That seems more interesting

Sublimatio.6981

give me exact time of the video you are asking about

Tom Yzf.5872

oh no, i meant the actual sword 4 skill. it should spawn a clone on sucessful block unfortunately destroying a phantasm. but when you used it no clone spawned and you kept all your phantasms. a neat trick i’d like to learn

edit: just saw your edit now, it happened multiple times, one of which @ 1:34

(edited by Tom Yzf.5872)

Sublimatio.6981

just click ESC when casting the counterattack and you interrupt it
its also useful when killing p1 boss. take the healing skill Mirror and interrupt it when its about to be completed. this way you can reflect projectile every 4 seconds.

Tom Yzf.5872

nice very useful tip ty