Mounts

Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Amazing Tyria. Tanks, Airships, helicopters, matter transference, holograms and more. And not a single soul who looked at a pack dolyak and thought “I wonder if I could sit on that pack saddle”.

Even better, I’ve wondered why our home instances never had a green house, garden, or farms in our cities. Sure let’s go caveman and wander the wilderness for food and resources. It simply makes NO sense with the level of technology in Tyria.

No reason why we can’t have mounts AND way points. Also, start having gardens in our home instances like they made in the Dry Top Oasis!!!!! That was awesome!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Mounts

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

The undead horses have been around long b4 these dragons awoke, which tells me personally, they will be around long after the dragons have been defeated… and so will mount threads

the Villainy of Galrath will make every GW2 player break down and curl up weeping, so let´s just forget about those necrid horsemen :P

Mounts

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

no pls not this again.

Love how even someone who works at anet upvoted this comment

How can you tell?

Mounts

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

So the argument is more-so that is has a potential to be bad? that, I can understand as a valid argument. thanks for not just saying “lolno dead horse -1/10”

that being said, just because an idea “could” be bad doesn’t mean that it should be completely invalidated, IMHO.

If I were in control, I would make them 33-50% speed boost, high gold cost, keep wps, and make them un-usable in wvw like most transformation tonics. I could see how complaints could transform that into something potentially bad though.

In short, I don’t think it should be the top of their list currently, as it is just a QoL thing, but I think it “is” something that should be considered eventually

(edit: p.s. I bet a mobility warrior or my perma-swiftness gs/lb ranger could outrun a 50% swiftness boost as well)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

(edited by ITheNormalPerson.9275)

Mounts

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

GW2 is not balanced for mounts. It might even break events.

Furthermore, why the kitten would I want the tedious process of travelling all the way across the map just to do one event? If I wanted to look at the environment, I would look at the environment.

That isn’t to say context-sensitive mounts aren’t cool. I know many GW1 players who loved their Junundu they were able to capture and progress with. And when the Elona expansion opens up, darnit, I expect to ride in a worm!

But seriously though, stop asking for game-wide mounts. Junundu are loved because they came from an entire region tailored specifically for them. But game-wide mounts are a completely different can of wurms, which might negatively affect the game’s sense of movement. The Gw2 physics engine doesn’t even allow them to feel that good either, since the collision and physics programming would make them feel no different than on-feet travelling. In other words, mounts would feel like a Tonic or Bundle with a speed boost, and that is pretty kitten lame!

GW2 is not balanced for swiftness and in-combat speed boost. REMOVE THEM!

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Mounts

runeblade.7514

Here’s a logical argument for mounts:

“I’m willing to spend real money for an in-game mount provided the price is right.”

It would be easy to come up with a set of rules for them which would ensure that they aren’t game breaking. And I know it would require a bit of work, but I’m willing to PAY for it.

And most other players would pay more if the time used to make your not-gamebreaking mounts was used to make more armor/weapon skins to be added in the gem store.

In fact – GW1 armor brought back would be a much more popular and easy to sell gem store item than mounts.

And it has more benefits too – it adds to the game without making it worse to play.

Mounts have one simple problem – they add another model to an already cluttered environment.

Remember how awesome zerg vs boss fights look? with all the particle effects and clutter?
Imagine that with 50 people. Keep that image.
Imagine it with 50 people each riding a mount – basically adding another model for your PC to render and display.

50 man zergs now feel and lag like 100 man zergs with no added benefit.

So no – mounts are not only illogical( mechanics wise and lore wise) but also impractical.

Remember how awesome zerg vs boss fights look? with all the particle effects and clutter?

Imagine it with 50 people each riding a mount – basically adding another model for your PC to render and display.

Imagine turning the render/character limits to lowest because the mount will disappear and set to lowest. You wouldn’t be able to play WvW anyways with all the lag in a battle anyways with normal setting.

Mounts

runeblade.7514

So the argument is more-so that is has a potential to be bad? that, I can understand as a valid argument. thanks for not just saying “lolno dead horse -1/10”

that being said, just because an idea “could” be bad doesn’t mean that it should be completely invalidated, IMHO.

If I were in control, I would make them 33-50% speed boost, high gold cost, keep wps, and make them un-usable in wvw like most transformation tonics. I could see how complaints could transform that into something potentially bad though.

In short, I don’t think it should be the top of their list currently, as it is just a QoL thing, but I think it “is” something that should be considered eventually

(edit: p.s. I bet a mobility warrior or my perma-swiftness gs/lb ranger could outrun a 50% swiftness boost as well)

These numbers are why people are against mounts. It should stay 25% in PvE only.

It feels fast enough while staying cosmetic only + there is a gameplay reason to have it equal to More bank slot/Gem store ore/Mystic forge stone/harvesting tools.

Players won’t be stuck with mobility skills all the time if they want to travel the huge expansive world. They can actually equip weapon/skills they like while retaining the fast speed.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Mounts

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This topic always brings out the anti-mount crowd, and they never, ever, have a logical reason as to why it’s a bad thing. Their only major reason, is because, there is waypoints.

In fact, it’s only logical to use mounts to unlock the waypoints, especially for new characters. Which is more tedious? Summoning a mount, or clicking a Swiftness Skill countless times, every 10 seconds? ..or swicthing out warhorns for Swiftness Boons.. or swicthing out traits for Swiftness enhancements? Don’t even bring up convenience, since that argument falls flat every time. Or, perhaps, it’s more immersive to see zergs with 50+ people using Swiftness Boons running from champ to champ.. lol..

Mounts

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

This topic always brings out the anti-mount crowd, and they never, ever, have a logical reason as to why it’s a bad thing. Their only major reason, is because, there is waypoints.

Yes. There are waypoints and you guys are asking for Anet to change it all just to suit your desires.

Mounts

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

if you want mounts, please quit the game. hurry.

Mounts

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Shrug. The sheer entertainment value of watching a Dorito lead a zerg of cavalry off a cliff negates a lot of no votes, for me.

I can see and hear it now. "Woo, I love Death Shroud, safe from death . . . "

Yeah, I suppose that’d be worth it but . . . never really had a good experience with mounts in games, even where they were “important”. The only time I found them useful was in Ultima Online, and that was just because the PK Gank Squad usually had Frenzied Ostards and if you didn’t have a horse you were asking to die a terrible terrible death.

There is really no valid argument for “no mounts” but for some reason the topic is a knee jerk hot button here.

Because a lot of times they were a status symbol for the l33t. Because more than a few of us really find them less than necessary even in games which didn’t have waypoints. Because for more than a few it reminds them of some other game they grew to despise.

For me? I think they’re unnecessary and prone to a lot more troubles than some armor skins and charr. A considerable amount more. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to tonics only which couldn’t be used in combat, like the transformations we had since GW1 and Mad King’s Holiday.

Amazing Tyria. Tanks, Airships, helicopters, matter transference, holograms and more. And not a single soul who looked at a pack dolyak and thought “I wonder if I could sit on that pack saddle”.

Sure. Stone Summit did it all the time.

Ergo, mounts are eeeeeeeeeevil . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Tobias just hit on something. A tonic that turns you into a mount/horse/whatever, OH WAIT they have those already, NVM. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias just hit on something. A tonic that turns you into a mount/horse/whatever, OH WAIT they have those already, NVM. -LOL

More like how the “Town Clothes” tonics work, only you now have a horse. Or steam machine, or aetheric-driven contraption, dolyak, whatever the heck else there is.

Just no centaurs. Because that’s weird.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Imagine a GS + S/H warrior rotating those skills with the mount?

Just personally I haven’t seen them play out well IMO. EQ we had it quite literally ruin the exploration of the game as you just dashed from place to place at speeds enemies couldn’t possibly keep up with, or the few that could were complained about to the point that they got nerfed. WoW saw a complete redesign because of it, I woudln’t say it was bad, but it surely was quite intense on Blizzard’s pocket book I’m sure, though possibly worth it in the long run /shrug.

Then as someone else posted, the hover craft. We saw that in EQ. I attached one of our mounts, we had a balloon on a little rocket pack that we rode around with… things got a bit silly.

So in the end I just don’t like them, I think it’s a bit they’re more trouble than they’re worth, I love the waypoint system though

Attachments:

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Mounts

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Shrug. The sheer entertainment value of watching a Dorito lead a zerg of cavalry off a cliff negates a lot of no votes, for me.

Yeah, I suppose that’d be worth it but . . . never really had a good experience with mounts in games, even where they were “important”. The only time I found them useful was in Ultima Online, and that was just because the PK Gank Squad usually had Frenzied Ostards and if you didn’t have a horse you were asking to die a terrible terrible death.

There is really no valid argument for “no mounts” but for some reason the topic is a knee jerk hot button here.

Because a lot of times they were a status symbol for the l33t. Because more than a few of us really find them less than necessary even in games which didn’t have waypoints. Because for more than a few it reminds them of some other game they grew to despise.

For me? I think they’re unnecessary and prone to a lot more troubles than some armor skins and charr. A considerable amount more. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to tonics only which couldn’t be used in combat, like the transformations we had since GW1 and Mad King’s Holiday.

How in the world did I erase Dolyak Riders from my memory. It’s all come back now, Dreadnaughts Drift..the pain, the deaths, no! my survivor! no!. Good thing its all just a bad dream, since I’m often assured there have never been mounts in GW, EVAR.

I agree with another point tho. Mounts should never be allowed power creep, stats, buffs or a speed not attainable by other means. EQ2 went way overboard giving mounts power and speed. It was funny back in the day when a Warden or Bard could pass your shiny new noob horse on foot. You can’t even give away Spirit of the Wolf now. So yes, I guess if players are looking at how mounts can be abused.. well, I wouldn’t want that either.

I used mounts for the fun of using mounts. I liked my slooow ones. A huge part of my love for that game died when Smokejumper unilaterally increased mount speed to 130%. Benny Hill Ponies. Even with walk toggled, they ran. Slowly loping through the countryside was replaced by frenzied runaway psycho ponies. I built a player home stable for them and retired them all.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Mounts

ITheNormalPerson.9275

-snip-

sorry, I guess I wasn’t very clear. IMHO, if you’re on a mount, all your skills are disabled and swiftness/speed signets aren’t available (like a golem in wvw)

some classes would be better off with mounts, but other classes (cough warrior, thief cough) would get literally no movement benefit over-all, since they can most likely move faster with mobility skills than they could with a static 50% boost.

also, @runeblade I do have weapons I have equipped. I swap one utility and one trait out and I have perma swiftness plus a mobility on my greatsword. to add onto that, I can go even faster by swapping weapons out for the skill, then swapping back afterwards, e.g. if i’m too lazy to swap for perma swiftness i’ll just swap my gs for a warhorn, cast #5 for swiftness, then swap back. (I guess this is just something wvw players do if you didn’t think of it..)

basically, the movement offset is already there. the difference between class X running moveset weapons vs. class Z running non-moveset weapons is already larger than a 25% boost (25% because most classes have 25% boosts already negating part of the 50% boost (not to mention certain classes DON’T have that boost either)

tl;dr as long as the movement bonus is set within the capabilities of characters designed for getting around fast, there’s no reason not to add them on a movement basis.

I also said it’s something that should be worked on “eventually” not now. as I said, just because it can potentially be bad isn’t a reason to completely invalidate it, and just saying “no lol dead horse” as a lot of people have been doing doesn’t help the anti-mount argument either

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Mounts

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

“Horses” Monty Python style, clopping around.

I cant be the only one that it serves everyone right that want mounts, because its an extremely silly idea. GW2 isnt designed for it and the zones are way, way too small – even if we assume there are no waypoints. 4-16x larger zones… Maybe then we can talk mounts.

Anyway, I want one with a Quaggan head!

Mounts

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Mounts should never be allowed power creep, stats, buffs or a speed not attainable by other means. EQ2 went way overboard giving mounts power and speed. It was funny back in the day when a Warden or Bard could pass your shiny new noob horse on foot. You can’t even give away Spirit of the Wolf now.

What … no SoW anymore ? Thats sad

That also reminds me of the God Mini Pets that had stats, so everybody ran around with a mini .. and after a while people comlained about extra lag an all the annoying pets always .. and at some point we got an option to make our pets invisible.

So we had of course still to summon the pets, and ran around with invisible pets all the time. Maybe we also need that in GW2 .. or invisible mounts .. lol

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Why not use the Junundu-system as a middle ground? Make zones designed specifically for mounts?

Then they get to be more interesting than a stupid speed boost, Queensdale would be left alone, waypoints can stay, and GW1 fans will be happy.

Maybe make the Junundu into a Tonic for use outside of its zone.

Mounts

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

A few reasons:

“This isn’t WoW.”
“Waypoints are good enough.”
“This is the n+15th thread on mounts, make it stop.”
“Mounts aren’t lore-appropriate.”
“Mounts would unbalance the game, especially WvW.”
“Frameratezerg omg mounts everywhere all the time annoying.”
“Mounts will be Gem Store and Pay-to-Win.” (It’s not pay to win. If you’re going to use that term, use it properly. -_-)

I don’t mind the idea of mounts, but they aren’t necessary.

Would they be a fantastic gold sink? If done properly, yes.
Would they be useful in areas with frequently locked waypoints? Yes.
Would (some) people enjoy them? Sure!

Is it worth production cost to include them? ….eeeeh, maybe not.
Considering they can’t even get traits or Legendary crafting or Ascended crafting right, could we even trust them to get a mount system right?
No.
grumpycat.jpg

I am not sure that, "this isn’t WoW is a solid example of why something should not be implemented in this game. WoW did not introduce the idea of domestication of animals for purpose of transportation. WoW has swords, axes, bows, daggers, staves, spellcasters, etc, etc…should GW2 not have them ?

Waypoints are good enough ? Not for everyone apparently. If they were no one would be asking for mounts.

The GW universe has included riders for years so lore complaints seems somewhat odd to me.

I agree that any game mechanic addition should be implemented carefully to avoid increasing game imbalance.

I personally would not be inclined to use mounts but if they could generate additional reveneue, above and beyond the cost of implementing them, then I could see them as a positive addition to the game so long as balance and optimization issues were addressed.

Mounts

runeblade.7514

also, @runeblade I do have weapons I have equipped. I swap one utility and one trait out and I have perma swiftness plus a mobility on my greatsword. to add onto that, I can go even faster by swapping weapons out for the skill, then swapping back afterwards, e.g. if i’m too lazy to swap for perma swiftness i’ll just swap my gs for a warhorn, cast #5 for swiftness, then swap back. (I guess this is just something wvw players do if you didn’t think of it..)

basically, the movement offset is already there. the difference between class X running moveset weapons vs. class Z running non-moveset weapons is already larger than a 25% boost (25% because most classes have 25% boosts already negating part of the 50% boost (not to mention certain classes DON’T have that boost either)

tl;dr as long as the movement bonus is set within the capabilities of characters designed for getting around fast, there’s no reason not to add them on a movement basis.

I also said it’s something that should be worked on “eventually” not now. as I said, just because it can potentially be bad isn’t a reason to completely invalidate it, and just saying “no lol dead horse” as a lot of people have been doing doesn’t help the anti-mount argument either

It is the offset for a warrior only.

Mounts can be used by any class lacking reliable swiftness like Necro/Mesmer/Guardian. Those classes use rune of the traveler/speed for mobility.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Mounts

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Mounts can be used by any class lacking reliable swiftness like Necro/Mesmer/Guardian. Those classes use rune of the traveler/speed for mobility.

Necro has Signet of Locust for 25%

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

ITheNormalPerson.9275

-thief

and thief.

so you’re saying mounts would… give classes like mesmer/guardian a way to get around as quickly as other classes? THE HORROR!

Mounts

runeblade.7514

-thief

and thief.

so you’re saying mounts would… give classes like mesmer/guardian a way to get around as quickly as other classes? THE HORROR!

Yes.

I am pro-mount.

Mounts

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I have always been anti-mount. My position has not changed, this game has waypoints to get around, and all the classes have some way to obtain a temporary speed boost.

The devs are not going to remove the waypoint system to give players mounts.

There are plenty of games that have mounts. I think it is more productive to play those.

I play World of warcraft, and that game has mounts. I do not post on the World of Warctaft forums that they remove mounts and institute a waypoint system.

This game has a waypoint system. They are not going to, nor should they remove their waypoint system for mounts.

PS mesmer get a speed boost it’s in their focus.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Mounts

Posted by: Lana Del Rey.1873

Lana Del Rey.1873

I don’t understand this thread, like we already have mounts? Most prominent examples: Blazeridge Mounts, Shiverpeak Mounts, …

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey, is that true?

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Yes, but only bicycles:

NO…..POGO STICKS OR DIE!!!!!

(too soon?)

Ok, I would vote yes, but only if the Mount is a pogostick, and slows you down, and you occasionally fall off.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

No, because in my opinion mounts never add anything to a game that doesn’t need them. The only way this game would ever need mounts is if you remove the waypoints. And Anet is never going to remove the waypoints.

Secondly unless the mount desired is purely cosmetic, it will more often than not provide a speed boost.

We do not need mounts for a temporary speed boost, and Anet will never allow a permanent speed boost.

Thirdly, if there is any additional speed boost or even an extra speed boost, then mounts become mandatory for everyone. It will not be optional. That means that even people that hate them would have to buy them. especially if they do WvW or sPvP.

Anyone that now asks ’ but why would they be mandatory?" is simply being disingenuous. And will not be responded to, at least by me. This has already been covered extensively in each of the gazillion other mount threads.

Lastly… wasn’t there a combined mount thread already? Why are we still getting new ones? By now, the people that want them, still want them, the people that don’t still don’t. and Anet has already read all the arguments on both sides… and we still do not have mounts.

Maybe the pro-mount players need to get a clue?

Mounts

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Still to this day wonder why GW2 is so against mounts?
I mean, GW2 ir more of a generic MMO than GW1 ever was

Personally, instead of mounts, I’d love to see airships or real ships taking people from one place to another in real time. For example from LA to DR.
Or A ship that takes you from LA to Southsun. Make it a 30 minute drive or something. Good for both afking and role playing;.

Mounts

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

-snip-

sorry, I guess I wasn’t very clear. IMHO, if you’re on a mount, all your skills are disabled and swiftness/speed signets aren’t available (like a golem in wvw)

some classes would be better off with mounts, but other classes (cough warrior, thief cough) would get literally no movement benefit over-all, since they can most likely move faster with mobility skills than they could with a static 50% boost.

I was thinking something like Rush→Whilwind→Sword leap→activate mount, run for like 18s, drop mount sword leap →rush →whirlwind → activate mount, etc.

Mounts

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Here’s a logical argument for mounts:

“I’m willing to spend real money for an in-game mount provided the price is right.”

It would be easy to come up with a set of rules for them which would ensure that they aren’t game breaking. And I know it would require a bit of work, but I’m willing to PAY for it.

And most other players would pay more if the time used to make your not-gamebreaking mounts was used to make more armor/weapon skins to be added in the gem store.

In fact – GW1 armor brought back would be a much more popular and easy to sell gem store item than mounts.

And it has more benefits too – it adds to the game without making it worse to play.

Mounts have one simple problem – they add another model to an already cluttered environment.

50 man zergs now feel and lag like 100 man zergs with no added benefit.

So no – mounts are not only illogical( mechanics wise and lore wise) but also impractical.

Imagine turning the render/character limits to lowest because the mount will disappear and set to lowest. You wouldn’t be able to play WvW anyways with all the lag in a battle anyways with normal setting.

Because the whole point of playing a game that has great models, textures and graphics is to turn it all down to low.

I’d rather not have to do that because people want mounts.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

In fact, it’s only logical to use mounts to unlock the waypoints, especially for new characters. Which is more tedious? Summoning a mount, or clicking a Swiftness Skill countless times, every 10 seconds? ..or swicthing out warhorns for Swiftness Boons.. or swicthing out traits for Swiftness enhancements? Don’t even bring up convenience, since that argument falls flat every time. Or, perhaps, it’s more immersive to see zergs with 50+ people using Swiftness Boons running from champ to champ.. lol..

We don’t need logical reasons. We don’t need any reasons other than " We don’t Like them."

We are not the ones asking Anet to use up resources to add something unnecessary, just because some people think " it would be cool, and I want it."

See the only reasons pro-mount peopl have are.

1. It would be cool. ( no, it really wouldn’t.)
2. I want it. ( Play a game that has mounts then.)

So the pro-mount people since they are wanting the developers to spend resources, that could be spent elsewhere more effectively, and for better value..( balancing skills), need to provide better reasons.

We that don’t want to have mounts only need to provide one.

1. We don’t want them, because we don’t want them.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Still to this day wonder why GW2 is so against mounts?
I mean, GW2 ir more of a generic MMO than GW1 ever was

Personally, instead of mounts, I’d love to see airships or real ships taking people from one place to another in real time. For example from LA to DR.
Or A ship that takes you from LA to Southsun. Make it a 30 minute drive or something. Good for both afking and role playing;.

This I can get behind. We have Asuran Gates for speed. maybe get Charr zeppelins for roleplay, and for relaxing.

I can hear it now though… " You want Zeppelins? Go play WoW" So, never gonna happen.

Mounts

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

So the pro-mount people since they are wanting the developers to spend resources, that could be spent elsewhere more effectively, and for better value..( balancing skills), need to provide better reasons.

I think mounts would encourage world exploration, since by using waypoints you skip over vast distances of the game world without even seeing them. So there is a reason besides “cool” and “want”.

Also, no matter what game feature you ask for, there are always people who don’t want/use/need that feature. Just because I don’t like PvP doesn’t mean that I will accuse anyone who does of asking ANet to “use up” resources creating “unnecessary” content.

I certainly don’t think the game needs mounts, but they could be a fun addition for a lot of people. As for the suggestion to remove waypoints to accommodate mounts, I think that’s a bad move. Let people who like the waypoints use them. More options is always better in my book.

Mounts

ITheNormalPerson.9275

-snip-

I was thinking something like Rush->Whilwind->Sword leap->activate mount, run for like 18s, drop mount sword leap ->rush ->whirlwind -> activate mount, etc.

could be fixed by having cooldowns on mounting, or having mounts only accessible from certain areas (e.g. stables on maps) which would also fixed the “pocket horse” argument I saw from someone earlier

@runeblade …oh :P I knew something looked weird with your post! lol

(I just want a dolyak wvw exclusive mount. even if it can’t be used in wvw it would be hilariously awesome)

Mounts

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

Just Quaggan mounts then everyone will be happy.*

*I get to make this statement in every mount thread right?

Mounts

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Mounts make sense for WvW.

…just saying.

Mounts

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We already have mounts for WvW. See: Seige Golem, Seige Devourers, that light-transport-thingy in EoTM, and the Kodan hammer.

I do agree WvW is where Mounts make most sense though.

Like I said, they can make great gameplay elements if used in the right context. But not mounts in the traditional WoW sense. This is Guild Wars, and since 2007, Mounts were always limited to specific contexts.

But keep them out of Queensdale. This isn’t WoW.

Mounts

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

How in the world did I erase Dolyak Riders from my memory. It’s all come back now, Dreadnaughts Drift..the pain, the deaths, no! my survivor! no!. Good thing its all just a bad dream, since I’m often assured there have never been mounts in GW, EVAR.

I agree with another point tho. Mounts should never be allowed power creep, stats, buffs or a speed not attainable by other means. EQ2 went way overboard giving mounts power and speed. It was funny back in the day when a Warden or Bard could pass your shiny new noob horse on foot. You can’t even give away Spirit of the Wolf now. So yes, I guess if players are looking at how mounts can be abused.. well, I wouldn’t want that either.

I used mounts for the fun of using mounts. I liked my slooow ones. A huge part of my love for that game died when Smokejumper unilaterally increased mount speed to 130%. Benny Hill Ponies. Even with walk toggled, they ran. Slowly loping through the countryside was replaced by frenzied runaway psycho ponies. I built a player home stable for them and retired them all.

But they are mobs not on your side and the riders/mounts die together like they are one piece. Sorry just no to mounts.

Mounts

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Mounts make sense for WvW.

…just saying.

No it does not. The WvW maps are small and you have obviously not thought about the negative impacts it would have on the map dynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I think mounts would encourage world exploration, since by using waypoints you skip over vast distances of the game world without even seeing them. So there is a reason besides “cool” and “want”.

Sorry, no. Waypoints don’t become available until you’ve discovered them. It’s not exploration if you’ve already been there.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Also, no matter what game feature you ask for, there are always people who don’t want/use/need that feature. Just because I don’t like PvP doesn’t mean that I will accuse anyone who does of asking ANet to “use up” resources creating “unnecessary” content.

I certainly don’t think the game needs mounts, but they could be a fun addition for a lot of people. As for the suggestion to remove waypoints to accommodate mounts, I think that’s a bad move. Let people who like the waypoints use them. More options is always better in my book.

Except that is precisely what I accuse pro-mount people of doing. Asking the devs to use resources that can be better used some other more effective, and necessary way… Skill balancing.

before i hear " but the people that code mounts don’t code skills" the fact is, they can choose to keep people that code skills…or people that create mounts, since they do not have any.

I rather they not divert people from skill balancing for unnecessary mounts.

Mounts are a waste of time, energy, money, and resources.

They are not necessary. Just because YOU feel they would " encourage exploration" doesn’t mean they would. I disagree.

You want them, you need more compelling reasons.

Mounts

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

No please ever. Gw needs actual Guild Battles NOT mounts.

Mounts

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Except that is precisely what I accuse pro-mount people of doing. Asking the devs to use resources that can be better used some other more effective, and necessary way… Skill balancing.

They are not necessary. Just because YOU feel they would " encourage exploration" doesn’t mean they would. I disagree.

And who the hell are YOU to decide about it how Anet should make use of their time, energy, money, and ressources??

You “alone” are just unimportant, and you can disaggree a million times as much as you want.
If Anet ever should make up their decision to implement mounts out of which ever reasons, then you just simply have only 2 options.

Either you accept it and you play the game just further adapting to that change of the game, about which you can’t know nothing about how much of a change adding mounts will exactly be in the end, unless you are mysteriously able to see into the future /sarcasm.

Or you don’t accept it and quit the game, but don’t believe that your quit would change anything (thats also what alot of people hoped/believe, when Anet added Ascended Equipment, and nothing has changed after.
You’re just a “calculated loss” for Anet, which means nothing, because Anet wouldn’t implement mounts, if they wouldn’t know very good, if an implemented feature like mounts couldn’t also draw alot of new players also to the game and provides over that also something, with that ANet canmake profit too via gemstore to compensate those whining players that maybe make their quits over an optional feature thats able to easily coexist together with waypoints.

Who are you to decide over it, what is “neccessary” and what is not.
This arrogancy just makes me sick!!
You can’t have any clues about it, out of whichever reasons Mounts could become at any time something neccessary in a game, that keeps on changing over time every two weeks. If it isn’t out of story progession perhaps, then in most cases it is due to implement something with that Anet can make tons of money for profit and that also on long term basis.

Same as like you can’t have any clues about it, how Anet would implement at all mounts and how they would get limited for the game or how you would get them at all later and so on.
But one thing is pretty sure – I trust in Anet that if they would ever implement mounts into GW2 – that they do it only, when the most fitting moment has come for them, so basically “when its ready” and that they surely would’t repeat the same mistakes that have been repeatedly remade over the past 15+ years in thevarious MMORPGs of the past over and over again and try to do their best to make mounts for GW2 as innovative as possible.

Nobody of us Pro-Mounts is expectign miracles, we all know also fully well, that good things take a long time and that nothing gets done from one day to another as also that there are currently other things too that need some care from Anet first.

However Anet has multiple different teams and you just can’t know on what they are all currently working and such development teams have not only short and medium term projects, but also long term projects which the developers naturally want to keep as best as possible top secret, until the time has come to announce those new things on which has maybe already worked on for a really long time before.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Mounts

Teofa Tsavo.9863

But they are mobs not on your side and the riders/mounts die together like they are one piece. Sorry just no to mounts.

Do you actually read posts?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Mounts

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That would get in the way of actually trying to make his point. Which I’m still not sure of.

Okay, so to step back from the discussion of mounts prompting more people to explore the world (whut?) . . . if they existed as I laid out in my post solely as a noncombat form and not as a speed boost . . .

The only objection is the cost of time and resources to develop it and to test it. And, as I noted before, the enormous trouble of making sure one particular race with troublesome tails and poise doesn’t find clipping issues with every one of them.

I’d rather they take any efforts in developing mounts and, well, developing interesting monsters to add to the game, or non-Gem weapons and armor which look interesting and functional.

Mounts

Posted by: Rann.7198

Rann.7198

You know, the whole vine messing with the waypoints has got me thinking about this topic again. There are a couple of things that I go back and forth on about having mounts or waypoints.

Waypoints do a real good job of getting people all over the world really quickly, but that has a side effect of having the entire would feel rather small because the distance to places means nothing when you can just waypoint closer. On the other hand to have to hoof it everywhere, even at a faster speed, in order to have the world not feel not as small would probably be as tedious as I remember it most of the time.

I don’t know which way I would like it more, but that seems to be the divide for me.

Mounts

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono! No mounts!

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Mounts

Teofa Tsavo.9863

That would get in the way of actually trying to make his point. Which I’m still not sure of.

Okay, so to step back from the discussion of mounts prompting more people to explore the world (whut?) . . . if they existed as I laid out in my post solely as a noncombat form and not as a speed boost . . .

The only objection is the cost of time and resources to develop it and to test it. And, as I noted before, the enormous trouble of making sure one particular race with troublesome tails and poise doesn’t find clipping issues with every one of them.

I’d rather they take any efforts in developing mounts and, well, developing interesting monsters to add to the game, or non-Gem weapons and armor which look interesting and functional.

How about a multi race flat platform with shiny stoof n gadjets. I don’t care if they add mounts or not. This is just a “mount” that I know of with no new PC animations needed, no mount movement animations needed, no clipping problems for any race, and using a low poly model. There are even simpler mounts in EQ2, consisting of just a crouch animation on a disc or a carpet.

Mount would not need to be a horse, or a Flying Shark with a Lazor hat.

I actually predict we will see a Ley line riding platform added. Because… Ley lines.. and you can’t sell multiple versions of existing static waypoints in the gem store.

Attachments:

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

And who the hell are YOU to decide about it how Anet should make use of their time, energy, money, and ressources??

~snip~

it’s Not me, it’s Anet. These " I want Mounts" threads have been posted for the past 2 years. How many mounts did they add in that time?

2… Purely cosmetic mounts…In 2 years.

it’s not me that decided " No mounts" it’s Anet.

So you are welcome to imagine that mounts are going to be implemented …" any day ..just you wait and see.’ all you want.

I am pretty sure if Anet felt Mounts were an awesome idea, they never would have implemented waypoints. They have waypoints so they do not need to implement mounts.

If they were going to, they would have by now, or made an announcement that they were going to add them by now.

Taking Anet’s silence on the issue as Indication that " hey, they might add mounts" is … well, Not sure what the word for it is. But…I sincerely doubt we will see mounts in Gw2.

You are welcome to believe anything you wish.

Now as to my options.. I can of course play Gw2 and adapt to the new game if they ever put in mounts…or stop playing gw2 since I don’t want mounts In gw2.

I have done it before. left games that went In directions i didn’t like. As is my right.

but I sincerely am not holding my breath about the mounts, I doubt I need to think about leaving gw2 because of mounts. Anet has better things to do, than implement mounts.

PS: It’s Arrogance. Not Arrogancy. Just thought you’d Like to use words that actually exist.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)