100 gold to craft light armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

As a further comment on but this is mainly meant to show that 100g worth of crafting armor doesn’t get you far anymore in GW2.

It was shortly after launch and I had my first level 80 that I wanted a set of exotic armor for. I checked the prices and it was 30 gold!! If you think back in time this was before the 2 gold dailies or the farms that give you gold or fractals with their easy gold. This was gold you had to get by farming or doing events for a couple silver each or running dungeons, or similar stuff. 30 gold back then was a lot of gold that took time and effort to get.

So, maybe 100 gold doesn’t get you very far right now but the gearing up with crafted exotics, and later ascended, has never been cheap. If you think different maybe you have nostalgia goggles on because I remember farming diligently back then to get enough gold to gear up each of my chars with level 80 gear.

Dungeons back then also gave kittentons of gold, like arah alone gave like 5g for one of the paths? ascalon the easiest one gave 1g each of the path and could be run very fast.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

OP must be talking about ascended armor:

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/48085-Zojja's-Guise

That costs about 100 gold to craft at the moment, but only because it’s medium armor. If you get heavy it costs 78 gold and light 87 gold.

And I agree with the others here, ascended =! casual

So for 3 1/2 hours over 3 days (which is what a few usually means) you would make approx 63 gold (I applied your math for the champ bags to the champ bags from frostgorge sound) and some t6 mats (which vary depending on week the powerful blood, charged lodestone, and giant eyes week is unusually high in profit and only once every eight weeks which is why ppl save their pact supply map rewards for 8 weeks for it) which is a far cry from 100g. So yeah I guess it’s easier to complain than be real when you yourself say a few days of casual play doesn’t even net 100g.

Maybe people should actually turn everything they get into gold for a week, to see how much they really get. I for example put everything I farm right into the material storage, so I don’t know exactly how much gold I make per day. If you casually get 45 iron ore while running around doing events, that’s 1 gold. If you get 10 hardened leather sections, that’s almost 3 gold. Small amounts add up, without forcing anyone to actively farm. Just take the few seconds to stop at a node while playing the game. There could also be a Maguuma Lily hidden in a plant, that makes you 9 or 10 gold.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Faaris.8013)

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

So, your idea of casual play is to go from 1 farm to another, to another, to another?

That’s not what casual players do.

OK, so let me give you yet another perspective.

A full cycle of login rewards takes 28 days to complete and gives, among other things, the following:

• 20 Mystic Coins (currently worth ~1g each)
  • 35 Laurels, with an option for extra 20 from Chest of Loyalty. These can be converted to gold by purchasing bags of crafting materials at any laurel vendor, at roughly 1g per laurel final rate.

Doing just the dailies (2g per day) on top of that and ignoring any materials you gain in the process, you can make 20 + 55 + 2×28 = 131g per 28 days. So the game gives you 4.67g per day for basically doing nothing.

I think even the casual players do more than just dailies. No matter what you do, you get loot (which can be salvaged and sold), karma and liquid gold. It is perfectly possible to get 100g in less than 10 days with casual play. If you’re deliberately choosing not to, I fail to see any reason to complain. You’re complaining about your own choices. Only one person has the power to change these, you know…

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Still not sure of what OP’s goal exactly is.
If we’re talking about getting a lvl80 exotic light armor, lets say a berserker one, crafting it might be around those 100 gold, yes. However, there’s also the easy route of placing buy orders for Zhed’s gear which will eventually get you the armor for less than 15g (or buy it directly for about 20g).
It could also be obtained through dungeon play (Citadel of Flame being quite easy) and, if owning HoT, through bladed armor just by playing in VB. Or though a mix of all of this which could easily please the dynamic needs of a casual player (iirc you also get an exo headpiece by finishing the personal story).

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

OP must be talking about ascended armor:

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/48085-Zojja's-Guise

That costs about 100 gold to craft at the moment, but only because it’s medium armor. If you get heavy it costs 78 gold and light 87 gold.

And I agree with the others here, ascended =! casual

So for 3 1/2 hours over 3 days (which is what a few usually means) you would make approx 63 gold (I applied your math for the champ bags to the champ bags from frostgorge sound) and some t6 mats (which vary depending on week the powerful blood, charged lodestone, and giant eyes week is unusually high in profit and only once every eight weeks which is why ppl save their pact supply map rewards for 8 weeks for it) which is a far cry from 100g. So yeah I guess it’s easier to complain than be real when you yourself say a few days of casual play doesn’t even net 100g.

Maybe people should actually turn everything they get into gold for a week, to see how much they really get. I for example put everything I farm right into the material storage, so I don’t know exactly how much gold I make per day. If you casually get 45 iron ore while running around doing events, that’s 1 gold. If you get 10 hardened leather sections, that’s almost 3 gold. Small amounts add up, without forcing anyone to actively farm. Just take the few seconds to stop at a node while playing the game. There could also be a Maguuma Lily hidden in a plant, that makes you 9 or 10 gold.

I do a mix. Depositing most things (then selling them a stack at a time when my bank fills up) and selling things I know will net me a good profit (assuming I have time, if not it gets deposited to sell/use later). After leveling crafting I suspect a lot of people are trying to either sell there blue/greens as-is (why? just why?) or depositing the salvaged mats which they will never use.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

So, your idea of casual play is to go from 1 farm to another, to another, to another?

A full cycle of login rewards takes 28 days to complete and gives, among other things, the following:

• 35 Laurels, with an option for extra 20 from Chest of Loyalty. These can be converted to gold by purchasing bags of crafting materials at any laurel vendor, at roughly 1g per laurel final rate.

Doing just the dailies (2g per day) on top of that and ignoring any materials you gain in the process, you can make 20 + 55 + 2×28 = 131g per 28 days. So the game gives you 4.67g per day for basically doing nothing.

I think even the casual players do more than just dailies. No matter what you do, you get loot (which can be salvaged and sold), karma and liquid gold. It is perfectly possible to get 100g in less than 10 days with casual play. If you’re deliberately choosing not to, I fail to see any reason to complain. You’re complaining about your own choices. Only one person has the power to change these, you know…

This does nothing to dispute my point. Going from one farm, to another, to another, to another is anything but casual play.

Anyone that says that is casual is clearly out of touch with the average GW2 player.

As to your gold per day figure, JS made a post a while ago (I’m sure someone on here can find it, or has it bookmarked or something) that said the mean weekly income for GW2 players was something small, like 1-2 gold per week. So while yes, it is easy to get gold in GW2, that doesn’t mean that most players actually come by it quite so easily as you seem to think that they do.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

As to your gold per day figure, JS made a post a while ago (I’m sure someone on here can find it, or has it bookmarked or something) that said the mean weekly income for GW2 players was something small, like 1-2 gold per week. So while yes, it is easy to get gold in GW2, that doesn’t mean that most players actually come by it quite so easily as you seem to think that they do.

Maybe they use the game as 3d chat room and stay in Lion’s Arch all the time? That’s fine, but then they don’t need gold anyway.

The question I ask myself is what do people do in their play time? If you go for achievements or do events, you will get loot and stumble over material nodes. Same with playing the story. Heck, even if you are standing somewhere and aggroe an event mob by accident, then only shoot at it once, you get bronze in the event and loot.

So, how do people who get only 1 or 2 gold per week spend their time ingame, idle? Then, if you are not experiencing the content of the game, why would you care about gold in the first place?

It is the player’s decision to walk by an Orichalcum Ore node without mining it. If you want 2 gold per day, it takes 5 to 10 minutes of your game time, then you can go back to Lion’s Arch chatting.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

This does nothing to dispute my point. Going from one farm, to another, to another, to another is anything but casual play.

Anyone that says that is casual is clearly out of touch with the average GW2 player.

Soooo, apparently doing that is too hardcore. Okay. But these players are also hardcore enough to craft, HoT stats no less, because level 47 pirates need viper gear to kill?

I’d argue that even exotics period would be a waste of gold. All they really need are ascended trinkets.

I don’t agree with either of you, mind you. That is, I don’t expect players to do dailies every day. I don’t think casual players make 100g a week. But then again, how new again are the daily income statistics? Since dailies have changed a bit in just over a year.

But hey, I’ve worked with people with a 25 gold budget before, so….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)