19 months too late for fixing core systems...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Last year, 2013, Anets bi-annual blogposts made it clear they wanted to solidify core features of the game that they felt weren’t up to par. Its almost as if gw2 was rushed and a lot of simple features weren’t included or already included features/systems weren’t adequate. Now, 2014, even though I love the changes coming so far in the feature build, I think its somewhat disappointing to still see Anet going on about a solid foundation for the game. They are still trying to mold the game into what it should have been at launch.

Obviously, they couldn’t have foreseen how their vision of gw2 would have been received and had to make some changes along the way. I really hope that after this feature build, for the rest of 2014, we see new systems added too the game, instead of revamping older ones because they were poorly designed(perhaps rushed I don’t know). A lot about this feature build seems spvp related which I think is great, I dont do spvp much, but they need love too. Something like this needs to be done for wvw I think at some point because WvW has so much potential.

I suspect that after this feature build, some time from then(april 15th), we will get a content only patch, then sometime after that, another feature build, since Anet(Colin Johanson) said they wanted to separate the two types of releases. I hope the second feature build of 2014 is newer systems added to the game, building upon the ones they have solidified now.

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

Better late than never

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

They’re always goihg to be adding to the game and changing things up. It’s what Anet has always done. Even fairly major changes in GW 1 like adding the hero system, and new PvP types.

But these changes take far more time than most people think to implement. A major change to the structure of the game could easily take a year to implement. The stuff you’re seeing rolling out now didn’t get programmed last month or the month before. Some of this stuff has been in the works for a long time.

We’re only seeing it now. You can bet there are teams working on other things in the background we know nothing about.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know if you remember ~19 months ago, when forums were chock-full of threads begging, nay demanding ArenaNet release the game. Threads upon threads upon threads.

If these features are 19 months too late, just think how people would have felt waiting another 19 months for the game to release. Having already waited ~5 years.

For me? I would not give up the pleasure I have had these last 19 months in exchange for another 19-months’ wait, and these features. But, that is just me. =)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

They’re always goihg to be adding to the game and changing things up. It’s what Anet has always done. Even fairly major changes in GW 1 like adding the hero system, and new PvP types.

I’d like to offer the correction that adding and changing the game is what ALL MMO developers have always done. They pretty much have to if they want to retain player interest.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’d like to offer the correction that adding and changing the game is what ALL MMO developers have always done. They pretty much have to if they want to retain player interest.

Yes, and the funny thing I see with these “too late posts” is that Anet has been listening to the player base and acted on it. These feature patch changes have most likely been months and months in the making. But what do they get in return? “You didn’t listen to us, but well you did, but it is too late now.” I think some people believe that all these new things were just point and click changes made last week by Anet. LOL

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

I don’t think it’s “too late.” I think the changes so far from what has been announced is fairly lackluster. I wasn’t expecting any new content like dungeons or anything, but it’s mostly “meh” on what’s been announced so far.

I think people just need to wait and see what ALL the changes are and exactly how those changes are implemented and how it will affect each persons different interests in the game. There is more announcements to come and even the small amount they announced is just a brief over view of what’s to come.

tl;dr: Everyone calm down and judge post april 14th.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There is indeed hope:

Before: zero competition —> zero effort on improving GW2
Now: competition on the horizon —> all sorts of features and fixes

for GW2’s sake, I hope the competition does well.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Its never too late

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

There is indeed hope:

Now: competition on the horizon --> all sorts of features and fixes

You do understand that all these ‘features and fixes’ were probably months and months in the making don’t you? Or do you think that Anet is blind and suddenly realized ,“Hey TESO/ other MMO is here let’s work 24/7 to catch up!” If you think the later, well, I guess you don’t understand how long it takes to make updates like we are seeing now. If you think Anet wasn’t aware of other MMOs on the horizon and what they had planned over a year ago then I don’t know what to tell you.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

It’s never too late!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Its never too late

Genesis does…. you can’t do this on Nintendo.

Genesis does…. you can’t do this on Nintendo.

Genesis does, Genesis does, Genesis does, Genesis DOES!

Source: http://youtu.be/k7nsBoqJ6s8

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

There is indeed hope:

You do understand that all these ‘features and fixes’ were probably months and months in the making don’t you? Or do you think that Anet is blind and suddenly realized ,“Hey TESO/ other MMO is here let’s work 24/7 to catch up!” If you think the later, well, I guess you don’t understand how long it takes to make updates like we are seeing now. If you think Anet wasn’t aware of other MMOs on the horizon and what they had planned over a year ago then I don’t know what to tell you.

You do realize that TESO and Wildstar have been on the radar for longer than that right? They knew they were coming and it’s no coincidence that the feature pack is dropping at the same time as those games release.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its never too late

VS games that have a monthly fee it can never be too late for GW2 because its a every month thing when that cost comes into play and you ask your self “is it worth another month of 15$” and each time will not always be yes.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Obviously, they couldn’t have foreseen how their vision of gw2 would have been received and had to make some changes along the way. I really hope that after this feature build, for the rest of 2014, we see new systems added too the game, instead of revamping older ones because they were poorly designed(perhaps rushed I don’t know). A lot about this feature build seems spvp related which I think is great, I dont do spvp much, but they need love too. Something like this needs to be done for wvw I think at some point because WvW has so much potential.

Have to disagree here but that is because I think it is bad to leave broken things lying around.

New systems might be nice but whatever existing system that isn’t working should either be fixed or removed. I would put dungeons into this category. They are not completely broken but they don’t feel like they are actually functioning as they should either.

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

“Too little too late” for people who have already decided they don’t want to play the game anymore.

Khisanth.2948

“Too little too late” for people who have already decided they don’t want to play the game anymore.

Hmm….
Does the opinions of people who have already made up their mind about leaving still matter? I mean wouldn’t it make more sense to focus on the people who are still around?

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

Hmm….
Does the opinions of people who have already made up their mind about leaving still matter? I mean wouldn’t it make more sense to focus on the people who are still around?

That was my point. Beyond doing some miracle work, Anet couldn’t possibly bring back most of these people who are saying “too little too late”.

I’m all for criticism, but “too little too late” doesn’t contribute at all.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Nobody cares about Arrow to the Knee Online and Flopstar.

Deal with it.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

I just Anet had done this sooner. I honestly figured that last year Anet was done with revamping core systems. Its obvious a few still needed editing. The entire feature build isnt just core features obviously; the wardrobe system is not. I just hope to see more new systems added to the game. Maybe im just thinking of content. I still think WvW has not gotten the love it deserves and I feel bad for the WvW community even though the mode is still great.

For the rest of 2014 Id like to see GvG honestly(would be rather surprised and upset if we didn’t see it after 2 years wouldn’t you agree?). A new form of pve that is something similar to raids. Right now we only have a few very large raid like DE’s that are the Wurm and Teq. The Marionette was also like this to some extent. There are pretty extensive issues with these though, like griefing. I believe the last series of blog posts will address these and im rather excited.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Sigh

Another one.
So tell me.. what MMO game had been released before that had “Everything!” when it came out?
But then… surely a year later you could say.. well why didn’t you release the game with all this stuff?
No
… It is not too late to fix stuff.. this isn’t some FPS that gets a new shinny game every year, It’s an MMo that develops over the years.
They can’t always tell what should be where, when and what when it first comes out, and when they do know, – surprisingly.. it does take “time” to build new stuff etc, then ofc they work towards a business plan.. x feature gets released x date.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Option to see when user were last online. After almost 2 years. 2 years.
Wasn’t their priority? Well what was then? Gem store?

Posted by: nassaya.7109

nassaya.7109

I’m not a frequant poster i play more then i post here i mostly lurk and read what people are talking about. But just wanted to get something of my back. I’m realy happy with the update i realy am. This featurepack gives me a feeling finely gw2 is out of open beta. Since release i just could’nt shake the feeling about the game. So for some it’s to late they may have left, But as a GW1 player since the beginning i’m still here. Had a break from flame and frost till bazaar of the 4 winds played that one and took a break after that did they teq update and took a break till the fractals update. So for me this may be the update i’m waiting for. ty for reading and have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Nassaya (nick)

Nassaya Shadowheart lvl. 80 Necro
Nassaya Fireheart lvl. 80 Ele
Far Shiverpeaks – Guardians of the Dutch [GOTD]

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

The way i see it, Arena.net is not a new company or a company who has no clue how to build, fix or redo this game core system.

For example; look at the thief and ranger class..

Thief- are Ridiculously Overly OverPowered with having no support system whatsoever, Rangers-are Ridiculously Overly UnderPowered with having a suicidal pet system.

Seriously, how many more months or time should we wait?

Even as i speak, Even in the upcoming patch; there are No mention in their notes in resolving them.

So therefore, i concluded, Arena.net is Overly too late for any hope for this game.

My Oppinion
(I will continue say this, as long Favoritism and Unjust treatments are present, there will Never be a fix/solution to the core system)

-just this past weekend, a large guild consists of 159 active members, walked away from this game. I also was friends with many of them and i tried to encourage them to be a bit hopeful but failed to do so.
Do you want to know one main reason why they left?

They left because they felt that Arena.net was fully aware of all that is happening to the game: both good and bad and are intentionally allowing problems/bad things to evolve.

Again, this was their reasons and beliefs.

(I hold no bias, no judgement against their will, reasonings or beliefs whatsoever because they are human beings: they are entitled to feel and to reason)

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Option to see when user were last online. After almost 2 years. 2 years.
Wasn’t their priority? Well what was then? Gem store?

Correct that wasn’t a priority. Getting rid of culling was a priority. The account wallet was a priority. The ability to preview items in the TP that was a priority.

There are tons of things that have been added to the game, bug fixes, little changes, big changes…and they’re all on a list somewhere. Everything can’t be a priority all at once.

Posted by: Spaceowl.5123

Spaceowl.5123

Remember that this feature patch (which admittedly implements/fixes things that should have been in place from the start) ties in with the China release. Considering how fundamental some of these changes are, I would guess Anet expect to get more money from the eastern market, making EU and NA the minority customer.

What worries me the most is why it took so long for this game to hit China release while EU and NA had to put up with lots of bugs and broken experimental LS.
Maybe we were the test bed for the China release?

Guild Co-Leader of The Drunken Alliance [DKAL] (The Piken Square Server)
Proud to be an Engineer
http://www.dkalfansite.com/

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

two of gw2 competition are p2p

anet is sitting pretty until something else happens.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

Well, I for one, hope the game doesn’t go the direction that a 149 member guild wants it to go. And I have to laugh that the point of some of the above posts is “They haven’t fixed ‘x’ yet so that means ANet doesn’t care at all.” Seriously, a thread that delivers on things the player base has wanted getting criticized because some internal personal clock went off some time ago? “Here, have some pizza and a beer.” “Nope – too late!”

Anyone who has played the original GW knows that ANet isn’t afraid to tweak or outright change the game and its mechanics based on player feedback. Countless innovations happened over the course of their expansions and continued even after they split off to work on GW2 (minor updates but still, a mostly F2P game with no gem store continuing to do ANYTHING for the player base speaks volumes for the company) .

The feature pack is doing one major thing that GW2 has done so well – eliminate grind and put the focus on playing whatever character and class you want and getting rewarded for it. I’m looking forward to it. And you have to ask yourself, if you think this is too late, what part of the last 19 months would you have sacrificed to have this then instead of what you got?

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Well, I for one, hope the game doesn’t go the direction that a 149 member guild wants it to go. And I have to laugh that the point of some of the above posts is “They haven’t fixed ‘x’ yet so that means ANet doesn’t care at all.” Seriously, a thread that delivers on things the player base has wanted getting criticized because some internal personal clock went off some time ago? “Here, have some pizza and a beer.” “Nope – too late!”

Anyone who has played the original GW knows that ANet isn’t afraid to tweak or outright change the game and its mechanics based on player feedback. Countless innovations happened over the course of their expansions and continued even after they split off to work on GW2 (minor updates but still, a mostly F2P game with no gem store continuing to do ANYTHING for the player base speaks volumes for the company) .

The feature pack is doing one major thing that GW2 has done so well – eliminate grind and put the focus on playing whatever character and class you want and getting rewarded for it. I’m looking forward to it. And you have to ask yourself, if you think this is too late, what part of the last 19 months would you have sacrificed to have this then instead of what you got?

I’ll assume you mean hasn’t done well. And I see absolutely no grind removal in the patch. If you’ve seen that please do tell. I mean that sincerely, because this game’s a grind fest.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Some people will never be happy in life…

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The good thing about ANets core system is:

You can just forget about the game for some monthes, and when you log back in it is still the same old same.

Even after the feature patch, for old players, things will be mainly the same old same.

To somehow cover that, ANet invented the LS, which is the same old same, just time gated for the rewards.

The bad thing about ANets core system is:

At some point, people get bored of the same old same and will move on. In theory they can come back at any time, but they will just see the same old same, get bored and play other stuff.

In theory, other games might be inferior to the core mechanic, but there is only so much old a player can take before he gets bored. New shinies are exiting.

Posted by: CheeseJimmy.4796

CheeseJimmy.4796

Here’s a great example of features being added WAY after the release that improve the game:

WoW’s LFG system. How long did it take them to get it where it is now? Certainly wasn’t there at the start, and was no where near correct when TBC came out. It was like middle or latter half of WotLK before they nailed it.

With MMOs, there’s never a “too late”.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Well, unless it gets shut down, that would surely count as “too late”.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Here’s a great example of features being added WAY after the release that improve the game:

WoW’s LFG system. How long did it take them to get it where it is now? Certainly wasn’t there at the start, and was no where near correct when TBC came out. It was like middle or latter half of WotLK before they nailed it.

While the LFG system became of the part of WoW after it launched and got 2 expansions, it happened in 2009. You know 5 years ago. It could be a base feature from release in GW2.

CheeseJimmy.4796

Well, unless it gets shut down, that would surely count as “too late”.

True, but I was more talking about while it was still running.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

[…]there is only so much old a player can take before he gets bored. New shinies are exiting.

Insert playable Tengu here, with new explorable zones to boot. :]

CheeseJimmy.4796

While the LFG system became of the part of WoW after it launched and got 2 expansions, it happened in 2009. You know 5 years ago. It could be a base feature from release in GW2.

You really need to look at this from the devs side of things though. Is an LFG system something that would make the game unplayable if they don’t add it in before release, or can it wait till after the game goes live?

What may seem like a no brainer to us may have been something they had to choose not to put in so they could get the game out on time.

Chances are they probably did want to put one in, but couldn’t get it working properly in time for launch, so rather than release it in a buggy and unuseable state, they held it off to get it working correctly.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

A.Net has a small team compared to most major MMO developers (Blizzard has 4700 employees). They were focusing on important fixes, then trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

They have given plenty since launch of the game. I for one look forward to see all that comes from them.

Kaiyanwan.8521

A.Net has a small team compared to most major MMO developers (Blizzard has 4700 employees). They were focusing on important fixes, then trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

They have given plenty since launch of the game. I for one look forward to see all that comes from them.

If you want to swin in the AAA games pool, you better prepare for the sharks in there.
Having a small dev crew that can only achieve so much, while acting like you have the bestest updates might hurt you, if you get compared to what other games offer in bigger updates.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Some people will never be happy in life…

How i see it,

Happiness is Surviving..

Life is not about happiness but about making choices and decisions, that we will not regrettable for tomorrow

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

If you want to swin in the AAA games pool, you better prepare for the sharks in there.
Having a small dev crew that can only achieve so much, while acting like you have the bestest updates might hurt you, if you get compared to what other games offer in bigger updates.

AHH, they have put out more updates most other AAA. The ones in SWTOR? They are basically the same size as the LS updates but you pay for them.

Please, if you don’t like the company, there are other games for you…..

Khisanth.2948

And you have to ask yourself, if you think this is too late, what part of the last 19 months would you have sacrificed to have this then instead of what you got?

If you put it that way I would sacrifice all of the LS stuff.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Living Story was a waste of ANet resources, while core systems in need of much attention they were at 100% on living story, unbalancing the actual development of the game, hopefully right now things will start to change.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Perhaps A-net sees their system as ‘working as intended’. I don’t see anything other than marginal changes on the horizon. Many of those changes are good for brand new players, but most are also bad for me personally. None of the changes will fundamentally improve the core mechanics that make WvW (endgame for me) a zergfest. Zerging is only fun for the 1st 12000 hours.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

To be honest, I think every MMO ‘fixes’ their core systems constantly. If they stop improving and updating, you can be sure it means the servers are going to close soon.

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

Yeah, I just hope they plan to release these feature builds a lot more and LS a bit less. That would honestly keep me playing. I mean there are still so many things they could add, and if they ever run out of ideas they could just ask us.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There is indeed hope:

You do realize that TESO and Wildstar have been on the radar for longer than that right? They knew they were coming and it’s no coincidence that the feature pack is dropping at the same time as those games release.

The worst part is that a lot of these features were probably held back so that they could be released to counter the new MMOs.

Anyhow, there’s enough room in the market for more than one MMO and the more competition the better.

Khisanth.2948

Perhaps A-net sees their system as ‘working as intended’. I don’t see anything other than marginal changes on the horizon. Many of those changes are good for brand new players, but most are also bad for me personally. None of the changes will fundamentally improve the core mechanics that make WvW (endgame for me) a zergfest. Zerging is only fun for the 1st 12000 hours.

Many of them does seem aimed at new players. Not sure what to make of them aside from the obvious upcoming China release. Maybe it is just that. They are mostly good things and needed things but at this point it just seems to be doing things backwards.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Yeah, I just hope they plan to release these feature builds a lot more and LS a bit less. That would honestly keep me playing. I mean there are still so many things they could add, and if they ever run out of ideas they could just ask us.

What? You’d rather have some boring old features that should have been in the game all this time instead of more LS? But… they’re going to tell us the exciting story of the SUPER crazy sylvari “Sanguine Thorn”, and how she threatens all of Tyria with her armies of various evil factions that have been corrupted by a dragon, forming new and deadly hybrids!

And we’ll all love her. OR ELSE!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

I’ll assume you mean hasn’t done well. And I see absolutely no grind removal in the patch. If you’ve seen that please do tell. I mean that sincerely, because this game’s a grind fest.

I don’t think you’re looking hard enough! First, you will have access to all the gear that you’ve worked at getting, for all your toons. Gone is having to craft a set of gear for each toon, which took a measure of … grind … to get. Second, all dyes across your account are available – if you have abyss and want it on all your toons but don’t want to … grind … to come up with the gold to get it, you don’t have to. Repair costs are gone, meaning you don’t have to carry around the cost/fun ratio of playing different builds with a worry that a crash and burn is going to cost you. I understand bias in an opinion but please explain to me how these enhancements do not remove some grind. If you’re looking for all grind to be removed, please explain how you do that without releasing new content daily so that daily players can wake up and have a new world to play in – that’s not realistic, at least on a game that doesn’t cost much to play.

As for the comment that someone made that they would sacrifice the Living Story altogether, I feel bad that you feel that way. The Living Story, for me, wasn’t a literary work of art, or an academy award winning adaptation of a masterpiece, but it was fun, it had a lot of ‘wow- that’s cool’ moments (for me) and sure kept me coming back to play at a rate that exceeds my interest in the other games I’ve played over the years that were pretty much stagnant between ‘purchasable’ patches.

I will honor anyone’s opinion if it is build fairly, but I have to laugh at the continued complaints while we are playing for free. Yeah, it cost to buy the game but, unless your time is worth a billion dollars an hour, I’m sure you’ve recouped that initial expense long ago. Constructive criticism is always valuable – silly complaining is a waste of everyone’s time and comes across as a little peevish.