2 feature packs and 1/2 season, not enough

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I believe the “hard to balance” justification for GW1’s skill system holds little value at this time, when it is proven that the current systems are not bringing any better results.

At the very least, the higher customisation in GW1 allowed players to adapt better to the nature of the content. If GW1 had a zerker problem like GW2 has, who knows how many builds would be created around maximizing damage while still offering non-stat support and control? Even if, ultimately, the community made “best” builds for each class, they would probably be more diverse, funnier and less flawed than simply going zerker gear and picking the best weapons for pve environment.

Besides, we can see a change in paradigm regarding that in MMOs. EQNext is also offering a very customisable system inspired by MTG, not unlike GW1 did before it. And when EQ’s devs asked about balance, they said: “we don’t care, the first priority is to make it fun”, which is a complete reversal (and failure) of GW2’s design for the system.

Anet sacrificed the fun of customisation for the sake of the fun of a more balancing system, but where is the balance? We, the playerbase, ended up getting neither. It was, therefore, a failure to one of their (and the genre’s) core mechanics.

Any comparison to GW1 is interesting, because GW1’s systems were much more difficult to balance, had more pronounced flaws, yet they worked and completely defined that game. While GW2’s skill system is generally bland, forgottable and not talked about (except negatively). You don’t see anyone out there praising GW2’s skill system, because there’s nothing to praise about it. Its strongest advantage was barely acchieved.

From my point of view, the balance in Guild Wars 1 was much worse. There’s nothing like a permasin here, or a rank 8 ursan or 600 monks. A rit shouldn’t have been able to solo farm the underworld. That’s just wrong.

No, the balance there was far worse than here.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

billizard announced a yearly expansion for wow, yep that is true, world of warcraft gonna have expansion every year.
that is very sweet deal and might bring back ex-players to wow. and if wow do it that game will remain one of the best and top mmos for who knows maybe another 10 years.
about gw2 tho, i am not sure about future of this game, with new mmos coming out every year, probably small dedicated community will keep it alive but it wont be among top mmos if anet continue this way with their LS stuff and no expansion in sight.

Blizzard also said they would never have another drought like they do between expacs, and right now, they are in their worse yet.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I believe the “hard to balance” justification for GW1’s skill system holds little value at this time, when it is proven that the current systems are not bringing any better results.

At the very least, the higher customisation in GW1 allowed players to adapt better to the nature of the content. If GW1 had a zerker problem like GW2 has, who knows how many builds would be created around maximizing damage while still offering non-stat support and control? Even if, ultimately, the community made “best” builds for each class, they would probably be more diverse, funnier and less flawed than simply going zerker gear and picking the best weapons for pve environment.

Besides, we can see a change in paradigm regarding that in MMOs. EQNext is also offering a very customisable system inspired by MTG, not unlike GW1 did before it. And when EQ’s devs asked about balance, they said: “we don’t care, the first priority is to make it fun”, which is a complete reversal (and failure) of GW2’s design for the system.

Anet sacrificed the fun of customisation for the sake of the fun of a more balancing system, but where is the balance? We, the playerbase, ended up getting neither. It was, therefore, a failure to one of their (and the genre’s) core mechanics.

Any comparison to GW1 is interesting, because GW1’s systems were much more difficult to balance, had more pronounced flaws, yet they worked and completely defined that game. While GW2’s skill system is generally bland, forgottable and not talked about (except negatively). You don’t see anyone out there praising GW2’s skill system, because there’s nothing to praise about it. Its strongest advantage was barely acchieved.

From my point of view, the balance in Guild Wars 1 was much worse. There’s nothing like a permasin here, or a rank 8 ursan or 600 monks. A rit shouldn’t have been able to solo farm the underworld. That’s just wrong.

i think his point is the balance overall may have been worse, but the fun here is less. And the balance here doesnt seem to be satisfying the balance junkies either. Though i havent talked about it a lot, i feel like balance at the cost of fun is highly overated. I think if most people have to choose one or the other, they will generally choose fun.

Anyhow, upcoming games seem like they intend to jack a lot of the good ideas from GW franchise, but its a bit sad knowing if they do succeed, it will primarily be because GW2 hasnt capitalized on the good ideas, and strong basics they have introduced.

It will be sad when people say X game is awesome! they did A, B, C! then people say GW2 did it 3 years ago! and the response is, but X game does it so much better.

Well i suppose it wont be that sad, because hey, there will be an awesome game.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

How do you know that it’s not enough to keep people playing, or come back?

Do you have a pie-chart where you asked every person that has bought the game, or is this a case of “I don’t like this, therefore no one does”?

I am perfectly happy with the current quantity and quality of the content they produce.
And it’s getting better and better.

I’ll answer instead of him.
NO, it’s all perfectly fine, and enjoyable. I’ve spent whole 8-10 hours doing all LS2 parts. And I know I could have spent more. In 2 months… or 4 untill they continue. To grind a back? OK, but I could have..
We all know its enjoyable and most of us do enjoy the new content. But we want more.
3-4x more would be fine, 10x more would be great.

This is my favourite game and I dump tons of hours in it. And I’m willing to pay for content, but I can’t.
I’ve spent more on this game than I would have if it was P2P model, and I don’t mind. But there’s no motivation to spent my money anymore.

Vayne.8563

i think his point is the balance overall may have been worse, but the fun here is less. And the balance here doesnt seem to be satisfying the balance junkies either. Though i havent talked about it a lot, i feel like balance at the cost of fun is highly overated. I think if most people have to choose one or the other, they will generally choose fun.

Anyhow, upcoming games seem like they intend to jack a lot of the good ideas from GW franchise, but its a bit sad knowing if they do succeed, it will primarily be because GW2 hasnt capitalized on the good ideas, and strong basics they have introduced.

It will be sad when people say X game is awesome! they did A, B, C! then people say GW2 did it 3 years ago! and the response is, but X game does it so much better.

Well i suppose it wont be that sad, because hey, there will be an awesome game.

Fun for you, sure. Not for everyone, which is the problem. A lot of people saw the complexity of builds in Guild Wars 1 and did a U turn. Arguably that’s more important than the balance itself.

The more people you want to attract to your game, the more you have to dumb it down.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

You don’t get it. I don’t like wow too (since cataclysm) and I won’t play it too, but a certain mass wants to play it and you can’t deny this. Still wow is going to steal bunch of players from all the mmorpgs. And Gw2 is one of them, don’t think Gw2 is so special.

So what ? They tried to cater to those kind of players in the beginning with ascended
and that was one of there biggest mistakes, and people today still moan about the
ascended grind.

So do you think they should do that again ? The content locusts will still go to WoW
and the people that like GW2 for what it is will maybe also leave because they don’t
want changes like that.

Also GW2 makes it easy to return with no subscription, no level-cap increases and
no gear grind .. while in every other MMO i never had really the interest to play it
again after seeing that i first had to level up all my characters again for 20-30 levels
and then start the gear grind for all of them again.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

The only thing that i can say about an expansion: Anet please don’t make one.
The game is far beyond mediocre, pvp is not competitive and no one really cares your competitive tournments (look at the twitch watch numbers). In turn you don’t really care for pvp (especially wvwvw) too. Even if i want to do some wvwvw i collide with imbalance barrier, and log of immediately (still didn’t changed OP abilities that everyone can see).
In Pve there is no real content but saving some collectibles which does not really make a change whether you build them or not. Dungeons has same repetitive stacking behaviour and world bosses are not so unique when compared the other games. Actually game is like a wardrobe simulator, nothing more.
The story and lore is especially pathetic in my opinion. It’s not a groundbreaking story and you can find a band of races which everyone has one class to represent, actually only difference of your band of heroes is the leader has no sense of leading and makes no real sense of epicness. Even the big bad dragon killed by a ship not the leader itself, nice difference from other games…
Just like I said in the beginning, don’t release an expansion because if you do, i won’t buy it and only thing that makes me stay in the not being have to pay you money for the game time. After the expansion i’ll lose my ability to stand in the same ground with other people and this is gonna make me uninstal the game and never come back. Especially a while there is a lot of good games to play around.

So you dump hundreds of hours in a game, and you plan to continue to do so if it stays free.
But once they release an optional expansion (“optional”, because most ppl will play it and you will stay alone) you could buy for maybe 50 bucks? You aren’t gonna play anomre.
Hundreds of hours… 50 bucks…
If I spend that much time doing something, its worth the time, effort and the money.
Nothing is worth that much time if it’s not worth a little money, too.

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

theres so much potentional for this game… but the Team behind guild wars 2 aren’t in any rush to change it.

we all want new and better things but we need to face the facts. nothing will change.

its why WoW has been the king for years and years. Blizzard adapts and changes and it remains fun.
p.s for those that say WoW is a gear grind.. you are practically given really good gear now. so there is no grind. hell you can pve in pvp gear haha.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Zardul.3952

WvW was ripped from WoW.

Tol Barad and Wintergrasp were the First WvW.

so you cant say that gw2 was unquie in a pvp sense.

Beldin.5498

WvW was ripped from WoW.

Yeah .. even DAoC has already stolen RvR from WoW .. right ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

All attention on PvP? WvW? Care to back it up with anything?

A rather common complaint in the PvE community is that the developers focus on profession balance is totally focused on PvP to the detriment of the PvE side of the game.

That’s what I suspect the poster means.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

for those who say how do i know everyone is upset, i never said that, i said many people, or people meaning a bunch of people, i also stated my opinion. I dont think everyone shares my opinion, but i feel its a decent amount.

Im not even knocking the LS and the feature packs, but im saying, if this is indiciative of what we can expect for the future, it wont be enough to keep me, and a number of other players engaged.

As far as saying what i want? new maps, new proffessions, new zones, new weapons new game modes, new challenges etc.

I will rescind slightly though, because upon looking at the page, i thought they had given titles for all the content, but some says coming soon. So it is theoretically possible that the ones that are unrevealed are gold.

hopefully so, because in truth the game has a lot of potential, and a lot of good traits. But its now pretty stagnant. And much of the recently released stuff doesnt seem to be reinvigorating the game.

I can’t tell you over the past two years how many times during a vague event announcement or upgrade announcement I was hopeful like so many other engineers that finally at long last the simplest of requests would finally be fixed only to find out that they either made the class worse than before or that they went completely overboard with a “balance decision” like with Kit Refinement or the multiple nerfs to Grenade Kit. I won’t be holding my breath. There’s an entire list of things in multiple threads I posted a while back that they are free to read in their archive if they want me back or want my cash they’ll do it. Simple really.

Same thing for mesmers… Same thing with based blink. lightning flash skills, same thing with a bunch of things they need to fix. But they say their focus is on improving core gameplay. Then there focus is on enhancing WvW, or PvP, which is also affected by “core gameplay”. Enough already, get your ducks in a row, focus on fixing your core issues instead of turning the out living world content, if that’s what your saying your doing. Stuff is broken, almost every game i played that had an out-of-range deal had a limit to how far you can go with it, not the “out of range” pop-up or red circle anet uses.

We can and should demand these things, it’s lazy programming and if anet wants to be held to a higher standard, then they need to fix this stuff. If you’re going to do CDI’s then make them be something other that wasted space on the forums or say that simply can’t happen.

Do you find it amazing that people keep saying these incessantly positive things yet the most basic of fixes still haven’t been done by this team over and over again? Like somehow people think that these patches are actually addressing the core issues and why would they give praise for work when the most basic of problems still exist after 2 years?

Seen a large majority asking for things in the CDIs and it’s like they ignore them for the 1-2% of people who want something overboard that’s a new problem opposed to the long standing central issues some of which have been there since BWE2.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

theres so much potentional for this game… but the Team behind guild wars 2 aren’t in any rush to change it.

we all want new and better things but we need to face the facts. nothing will change.

its why WoW has been the king for years and years. Blizzard adapts and changes and it remains fun.
p.s for those that say WoW is a gear grind.. you are practically given really good gear now. so there is no grind. hell you can pve in pvp gear haha.

This is so true. The one factor that keeps people playing is the adaptation and change, new uis new updates for improvements not restrictions. The skill acquisition in this title didn’t improve, the rewards didn’t improve, the system of drops didn’t improve, the minigames didn’t improve, PVE diversity didn’t improve, it’s like it’s stuck in a freeze and every suggestion in that large archive was forgotten and every CDI has been ignored for the most part. Why even have an open ended conversation with your playerbase if you’re going to ignore the largest portion when they’ve been calling out to you for 2 years now trying to get you to see what you’re doing to the game? weird.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Zardul.3952

for those who say how do i know everyone is upset, i never said that, i said many people, or people meaning a bunch of people, i also stated my opinion. I dont think everyone shares my opinion, but i feel its a decent amount.

Im not even knocking the LS and the feature packs, but im saying, if this is indiciative of what we can expect for the future, it wont be enough to keep me, and a number of other players engaged.

As far as saying what i want? new maps, new proffessions, new zones, new weapons new game modes, new challenges etc.

I will rescind slightly though, because upon looking at the page, i thought they had given titles for all the content, but some says coming soon. So it is theoretically possible that the ones that are unrevealed are gold.

hopefully so, because in truth the game has a lot of potential, and a lot of good traits. But its now pretty stagnant. And much of the recently released stuff doesnt seem to be reinvigorating the game.

I can’t tell you over the past two years how many times during a vague event announcement or upgrade announcement I was hopeful like so many other engineers that finally at long last the simplest of requests would finally be fixed only to find out that they either made the class worse than before or that they went completely overboard with a “balance decision” like with Kit Refinement or the multiple nerfs to Grenade Kit. I won’t be holding my breath. There’s an entire list of things in multiple threads I posted a while back that they are free to read in their archive if they want me back or want my cash they’ll do it. Simple really.

Same thing for mesmers… Same thing with based blink. lightning flash skills, same thing with a bunch of things they need to fix. But they say their focus is on improving core gameplay. Then there focus is on enhancing WvW, or PvP, which is also affected by “core gameplay”. Enough already, get your ducks in a row, focus on fixing your core issues instead of turning the out living world content, if that’s what your saying your doing. Stuff is broken, almost every game i played that had an out-of-range deal had a limit to how far you can go with it, not the “out of range” pop-up or red circle anet uses.

We can and should demand these things, it’s lazy programming and if anet wants to be held to a higher standard, then they need to fix this stuff. If you’re going to do CDI’s then make them be something other that wasted space on the forums or say that simply can’t happen.

Do you find it amazing that people keep saying these incessantly positive things yet the most basic of fixes still haven’t been done by this team over and over again? Like somehow people think that these patches are actually addressing the core issues and why would they give praise for work when the most basic of problems still exist after 2 years?

Seen a large majority asking for things in the CDIs and it’s like they ignore them for the 1-2% of people who want something overboard that’s a new problem opposed to the long standing central issues some of which have been there since BWE2.

i agree.
they control everything… even the Economy ingame has been corrupted by anet so that we the players buy more gems.
everyone would blame the players that hoard gold to gems exchange but its not their fault.

a buisness like ANET, the only goal they have is finding a way to sink our gold and make us spend more money.

when you look at the larger picture in the long run a P2P game is much better. taking into consideration the content and things you actually get for your money. comapred to how Gw2 just give us Cosmetic Skins…..

Vayne.8563

i agree.
they control everything… even the Economy ingame has been corrupted by anet so that we the players buy more gems.
everyone would blame the players that hoard gold to gems exchange but its not their fault.

a buisness like ANET, the only goal they have is finding a way to sink our gold and make us spend more money.

when you look at the larger picture in the long run a P2P game is much better. taking into consideration the content and things you actually get for your money. comapred to how Gw2 just give us Cosmetic Skins…..

People came here FOR cosmetic skins. Many people object to anything BUT cosmetic skins. You’re playing the wrong game, methinks.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The numbers would suggest otherwise. The most recent assessments suggests that a GW2 player averages slightly less than $4 a month on the game. That is a far cry from the usual $15 a month subscription.

Zardul.3952

i agree.

People came here FOR cosmetic skins. Many people object to anything BUT cosmetic skins. You’re playing the wrong game, methinks.

People came here to play a game actually… not collect a wardrobe of skins.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

All attention on PvP? WvW? Care to back it up with anything?

A rather common complaint in the PvE community is that the developers focus on profession balance is totally focused on PvP to the detriment of the PvE side of the game.

That’s what I suspect the poster means.

What? PvE in this game is a farce…every class can complete anything in PvE (some maybe a bit more effecient at it than others, but still its not a game breaking gap between classes…)

Why on earth would you balance around PvE? There’s hardly ANY challenging content and any build works in PvE… you can even complete most of the stuff in green gear.. high lvl fracs/speed clear dungs are the only things that require any sort of specific gear/trait setup, everything else in PvE is a cakewalk..

Vayne.8563

i agree.

Glad you can talk for everyone. Do you know that Guild Wars 1 players were completely against ascended gear (for the most part). Many left this game when ascended gear was released.

Zardul.3952

The numbers would suggest otherwise. The most recent assessments suggests that a GW2 player averages slightly less than $4 a month on the game. That is a far cry from the usual $15 a month subscription.

i guess we get what we paid for then..

slow temp content with nothing but Skins and mini pets.. with a corrupt Gold to gem exchange

and £8.50 minimum spend on gems.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Many many things proposed in different CDIs are already implemented since the first Feature pack or LW season 2. They listen and they react. Compare the CDI proposals with the implementations. More aspects from CDIs will be implemented with the 2nd Feature Pack. I have the impression some people believe in their own fairy tales after a short time.

Zardul.3952

i agree.

Glad you can talk for everyone. Do you know that Guild Wars 1 players were completely against ascended gear (for the most part). Many left this game when ascended gear was released.

Vayne… you litteraly just said people come here FOR cosmetic items….

and you tell me that i can talk for everyone..

dont be a hypocrit.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

when you look at the larger picture in the long run a P2P game is much better. taking into consideration the content and things you actually get for your money.

WoW hasn’t had any content for a year.
ESO failed before it even launched.
SWTOR went F2P, and so did Rift.

Do explain how a P2P model is better.

And I’d rather have the OPTION to buy a completely useless hat than be forced to pay 15$ just to log in.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Vayne.8563

snip

i agree.

dont be a hypocrit.

I don’t think it’s hypocritical to say that people came here for what the game was advertised to be. They said there wouldn’t be gear progression like in other games as a feature of the game.

If I said people came here to play Asurans or Sylvari, well yeah, because this is where you find Asura or Sylvari (and in no other game).

You’re speaking for people in contrast to what this game was sold as. That means you’re playing the wrong game. Stat creep is one of the worst things to happen to MMOs.

Zardul.3952

when you look at the larger picture in the long run a P2P game is much better. taking into consideration the content and things you actually get for your money.

WoW hasn’t had any content for a year.
ESO failed before it even launched.
SWTOR went F2P, and so did Rift.

Do explain how a P2P model is better.

And I’d rather have the OPTION to buy a completely useless hat than be forced to pay 15$ just to log in.

WoW does an expac every year.. its how they add content.. but they also Patch every month..
that is not a comparison. thats a statement.

im comparing MMORPG’s that are still very much active and alive..

there’s a reason why WoW will say its Playerbase numbers and Gw2 will not.
even China dont play gw2 anymore.

Zardul.3952

snip

i agree.

dont be a hypocrit.

I don’t think it’s hypocritical to say that people came here for what the game was advertised to be. They said there wouldn’t be gear progression like in other games as a feature of the game.

If I said people came here to play Asurans or Sylvari, well yeah, because this is where you find Asura or Sylvari (and in no other game).

You’re speaking for people in contrast to what this game was sold as. That means you’re playing the wrong game. Stat creep is one of the worst things to happen to MMOs.

you must of misunderstood me i dont want stat creep. i just want more content and more depth.. for 2 years i feel its very very very slow development

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

WoW does an expac every year.. its how they add content.. but they also Patch every month..

there’s a reason why WoW will say its Playerbase numbers and Gw2 will not.
even China dont play gw2 anymore.

So inaccurate. Much wrong. Very nope.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Zardul.3952

And no1 thought to Question why all of a sudden Gw2 was announced to be availlable in China…

…nothing to do with their large populations and our declining playerbase… hmmm

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Mists of Pandaria was released September 2012. Warlords of Draenor will be released November 2014. That is a gap in expacs of over two years.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

dont be a hypocrit.

So is tying the cosmetic rewards that are GW2’s endgame behind 100% RNG or paywall….

I got nothing against making cosmetics the endgame, just the fact that acquiring them is done extremely poorly.

I’m not talking about those silly backpack skins they keep introducing in a new LS chapter… Most ppl want a chance at the good stuff (the armor skins in gemstore, frac skins, etc)… but they can’t unless they
a) pay $$
b) farm keys and pray to RNGesus or
c) farm gold through daily dungs, etc and just buy them directly from TP, which is really fun right!?

Most ppl didn’t leave when ascended gear came out lol, a ton of ppl had already left anyways.. its because of how atrocious the reward system is in GW2…that and that lack of attention anet had for PvP/WvW

Zardul.3952

dont be a hypocrit.

So is tying the cosmetic rewards that are GW2’s endgame behind 100% RNG or paywall….

I got nothing against making cosmetics the endgame, just the fact that acquiring them is done extremely poorly.

I’m not talking about those silly backpack skins they keep introducing in a new LS chapter… Most ppl want a chance at the good stuff (the armor skins in gemstore, frac skins, etc)… but they can’t unless they
a) pay $$
c) farm gold through daily dungs, etc and just buy them directly from TP, which is really fun right!?

Most ppl didn’t leave when ascended gear came out lol, a ton of ppl had already left anyways.. its because of how atrocious the reward system is in GW2…that and that lack of attention anet had for PvP/WvW

Agree so much…… and a ton of people that left is an understatement.
thats why they introduced mega servers.

Serophous.9085

WvW was ripped from WoW.

Yeah .. even DAoC has already stolen RvR from WoW .. right ?

Stupid WoW and its time travel abilities…

Zardul.3952

if i could somehow get all the IRL money back that i had spent on Gw2. i would do it in a heart beat and not look back.

thats why i straight up refuse to spend anything on the gemstore. because in the long run. those things on the Gemstore are worth NOTHING.

Content > cosmetics.

without content, it would just be a social Chatbox game like 2nd life.

Posted by: Dustbite.3670

Dustbite.3670

How do you know that it’s not enough to keep people playing, or come back?

Do you have a pie-chart where you asked every person that has bought the game, or is this a case of “I don’t like this, therefore no one does”?

I am perfectly happy with the current quantity and quality of the content they produce.
And it’s getting better and better.

I dont know how long u have been playing, but if u dont like pvp, and wvw on your server is dead, then there aint much more to do.
Having 5k+ tokens from every dungeon, and 10k+ fractal relics. And not being able to do anything with it, is a let down.

Simply put, there are no real achievements to go for in pve. I could go for a legendary, but i dont like the way they look, greatswords have 2 skins to choose from, all the others 1. Why not add more legendary skins to choose from?
Dungeon armors, are so easy to get, that u’ll probly have a full set 1 or 2 months after u hit 80. For a game which is based on appearence, there aint much “endgame” skins.

The feature packs dont really bring “content”, to keep players here. LS2 is nice, but after 1-2 days u’ve seen most of it. We used to get real events, with goals/skins to go for. Those have been pushed aside, to give us LS2.

When i login, i only see a small portion of my friends still playing, which is kinda sad, since gw2 has a good concept, but i have a feeling they are pushing it in the wrong direction

Vayne.8563

And no1 thought to Question why all of a sudden Gw2 was announced to be availlable in China…

Really? You think they just decided this like yesterday? LMAO!

They’re been working on the chinese release for a very very long time.

Vayne.8563

dont be a hypocrit.

a) pay $$

I’m not disagreeing that it wasn’t well done. But some guy came to the guild wars 2 forum and said all we get is cosmetic gear. I sort of thought that was the point.

Zardul.3952

when a free to paly game has to reduce its Price on the game by half it indicates that there is a Playerbase problem.

its a common way to try and get more people into the game.

before you get all emosh with what ive said really sit ther and think about why Anet do the things they do.

Mega servers
Reduced Retail price
china release
CDI posts
Gemstore maniplulation

they are milking this for as long as they can.. but we are declining.

Zardul.3952

You may feel your servers are " full" but dont forget thats a mega server which is composed of Several servers populations.

Vayne.8563

when a free to paly game has to reduce its Price on the game by half it indicates that there is a Playerbase problem.

its a common way to try and get more people into the game.

before you get all emosh with what ive said really sit ther and think about why Anet do the things they do.

Mega servers
Reduced Retail price
china release
CDI posts
Gemstore maniplulation

they are milking this for as long as they can.. but we are declining.

You realize that pretty much every game ever made runs sales. Rift ran a sale Rift for $5 within months of launch. Sales are a normal part of doing business.

WoW launched in China. Does that mean it’s dying or going out of business? Did it mean that when it launched in China?

CDI posts addressed a specific concern that Anet wasn’t listening. So Anet made CDIs.

Gem store manipulation? Like what?

You know, the more you talk, the better I look.

Serophous.9085

No no no. That’s not how developers work.

See, they plan to only allow limited releases in a select few countries, excluding the rest. Devs don’t plan to release to the whole world eventually, they only plan on the few REAL players in the countries.

Expanding to another country is a desperation signal to the REAL players the game is dying, so the devs are forced to expand to get more revenue from the excluded countries.

Duh. What? Do you think devs plan ahead with translating, voices, changing graphics to meet guidelines in those countries, over a span of time? No! They just snap their fingers and POOF, problem solved.

People are mad today because anet refuses to use this fingering snapping poof power now to instantly fix the game and give players what they want.

Gawd!

Vayne.8563

No no no. That’s not how developers work.

See, they plan to only allow limited releases in a select few countries, excluding the rest. Devs don’t plan to release to the whole world eventually, they only plan on the few REAL players in the countries.

Expanding to another country is a desperation signal to the REAL players the game is dying, so the devs are forced to expand to get more revenue from the excluded countries.

Duh. What? Do you think devs plan ahead with translating, voices, changing graphics to meet guidelines in those countries, over a span of time? No! They just snap their fingers and POOF, problem solved.

People are mad today because anet refuses to use this fingering snapping poof power now to instantly fix the game and give players what they want.

Gawd!

This made me laugh out loud. Then again, I enjoy snarky.

Beldin.5498

Free to play games can’t reduced their price because .. they are FREE .. so no price.

And else .. i think there are not really much games that sell their boxes for full price
still after 2 years or never had them on sales.

Serophous.9085

Free to play games can’t reduced their price because .. they are FREE .. so no price.

And else .. i think there are not really much games that sell their boxes for full price

What are you talking about? Mists of Pandora has ALWAYS been 10 dollars.

Zardul.3952

“Free to play games can’t reduced their price because .. they are FREE .. so no price.”
the retail price is not free.
that is what i was talking about, please re-read.

Zardul.3952

in all honesty. the September patch will Bolster our Playerbase numbers through the roof.
not enough to get out of 8th place but enough to warranty a feel of a good Community.

however that soon fades when people leave 2-3 weeks after.

Zardul.3952

what im saying is.. if we had more frequent Feature patchs.. for example once every month or 2..

our playerbase would be alot Bigger.

players would feel like we are getting content and new things. it feels like a safe money/ time investment.

Serophous.9085

“Free to play games can’t reduced their price because .. they are FREE .. so no price.”
the retail price is not free.
that is what i was talking about, please re-read.

No no. He’s right. F2p don’t lower their box price cause they have no box. They can run store sales, that’s it.

NOW B2P (buy to play) can lower their prices because you buy the game once and play for free (no sub).

GW2, b2p not f2p

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

ANet may say that GW2 is the most frequently updated MMO on the market, and perhaps that’s true. But when you compare the updates by the amount of content, it’s becoming increasingly clear that it’s not close to measuring up.

In other words, GW2 updates are quantity over quality. Not that LS2 isn’t an improvement over LS1, but it still may not be providing what people are looking for.

Some people like the LS format, others want expansions. But it’s ANet with their jobs on the line, so I figure they’re going to do what they think works best. We’ll see where that goes.

But you’re assuming they’re not working on an expansion too. I’m not making that assumption.

You’re right. Nor should I be.

Remember when they were working on precursor crafting/quest? And housing, which was on the list of things they were going to add back when the game launched? These are things they SAID they were working on, and look what we’ve gotten.

You want me to count on something they’ve not even said they’re working on? That’s unfair to the devs to expect that, and unfair to the players to think they should wait and hope for such a thing.

There is no expansion until the day they officially post details of it. Don’t count on one existing until that happens.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

(edited by Palador.2170)

Vayne.8563

what im saying is.. if we had more frequent Feature patchs.. for example once every month or 2..

our playerbase would be alot Bigger.

players would feel like we are getting content and new things. it feels like a safe money/ time investment.

No, if we had feature patches more often, the devs would be pushed too hard, they’d leave, we’d have no devs and no game.

You can’t make feature patches every month. As it is, it’s hard enough to get feature patches in on time and under budget.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Hopefully what they announced so far isn’t the most important WvW update of the feature patch because:

a new PvP armor = not a feature
generic PvP characters = not necessary
300g colored commander tags = what?! 300g for a feature the community proposed 2 years ago?

So far for me it’s a complete let down.