2000 hours, 0 precursors, why keep playing??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: devnull.6085

devnull.6085

Title says it all……

An until precursor crafting comes (if it comes), its vaporware…..

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Because I still don’t have a precursor.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Because I don’t like Legendary weapons and I’m not working towards any of them anyway, so a precursor drop would be nothing more than a rather large gold boost for me when I sell it.
So I guess I may as well keep playing and oh, I dunno, enjoy the parts of the game that I do partake in.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Welcome to the club

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I came here to agree with you. I thought 2k hours was too much, but I got over 1k myself, so lol, ok

I got a precursor once. Only one time. During an event at the Crown Pavilion with 300% MF buff, and it wasn’t even the one I wanted

But you know what’s the real problem? “Progression”. Yeah, that word. You need 250 x, so you get one, two, three. That’s progression, and when you see that you got 50 of x, you get excited
Then you have 100, 150, 200, finally 250. Yeah, took some time, but you knew how far/close you were and getting just a bit more would let you wanting to work harder

Now see the precursor. It is one weapon in a lot of weapon kinds, from one specific rarity, among other thousands of weapons. Where’s the progression? You could play 2k hours and don’t get it, or play 50 hours and get it

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Maining an engineer, so legendaries are not even an issue for me. :P And after 2000 hours you should have more than enough gold to buy a prec.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Those 2000 hours dont mean anything . You could spend that time standing in LA , doing wvw or PvP . Or just leveling new characters . Work for it and you will have one.

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

If you’re having fun, then keep playing because you’re having fun.
If you’re not having fun, why play a video game that isn’t fun anymore?

RNG on pinnacle loot is a lousy system. We, as a community, have made that unwaveringly clear to ArenaNet. Whether they’re listening, who knows. But ultimately, it comes down to having fun. There shouldn’t be any other reason to play or not play a video game.

<intensionally-silly-strawman>
I’ve logged hundreds of hours into Mega Man 2. Still no precursor. Capcom still isn’t responding to my emails.
</intensionally-silly-strawman>

(edited by Clockwork Bard.3105)

Posted by: psy.5437

psy.5437

Justify to everyone why you deserve a precursor?

Because you put 2000 hours in?

What makes that more worthy than someone who supports the community on a daily basis? A commander who tirelessly works in WvW? A player who put 2000 gold through the mystic forge? Any number of other reasons?

You don’t need one and the attitude that you somehow deserve one for putting hours in is absurd.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

RNG will be RNG. Unfair, I know, trust me…….. truly unfair, 1700 hours in the game, I just got 2 precursors in a week, The Energizer and Chaos Gun, while guild mates have 2000+ hours and have nothing to show for it.

Am I mad? Yes and no. sure i LOVE the precursor drops which helped me finish my legendary in a day, but at the same time I still loath RNG.

Luckily we seem to be starting to move away from RNG a bit with recent changes, lets see how it goes.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

I don’t know why are you asking us? Find something else to do with your life that is more meaningful.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I’ve played only 1900 hours & I had ‘the legend’ drop for me – I don’t like any of the legendary skins & grinding to me is not fun, so id never ever go for a legendary. i just cashed that sucker in & helped my friend get his legendary instead

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

Justify to everyone why you deserve a precursor?

Because you put 2000 hours in?

What makes that more worthy than someone who supports the community on a daily basis? A commander who tirelessly works in WvW? A player who put 2000 gold through the mystic forge? Any number of other reasons?

You don’t need one and the attitude that you somehow deserve one for putting hours in is absurd.

I agree with this, there are many, many ways of getting precursors rather than just accumulating some hours. Maybe if he’d spend 2k hours grinding gold, he’d have more luck in getting a precursor.

I personally have had 4 precursors of which I’ve used them all
Dawn – Looted in a WvW Keep lord WAY back
The Legend – Made it at the mystic forge using 30g’s worth of exotic staffs
Zap – Bought it, relatively cheap
The Chosen – Bought it, relatively cheap.

It’s all about spending your time wisely instead of trying to focus all of your hours on getting a precursor.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Sometimes I feel like the luck in this game is very one sided.

You have a number of people who claim to get an Exotic drop every 2 days while in contrast, I see a random Exotic drop maybe once a month.

Some people have multiple Precursors drop…like 5-6 over the course of a year. Most people get none.

We had a guy in our guild who had a reputation for getting good loot. And I’m talking about 1 Exotic a day, sometimes even multiple per Fractals run.

I know this is all anecdotal, but I don’t trust the RNG in this game. It seems like either you’re blessed or you have no chance.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

You more than likely don’t know how to make money in this game. That’s your own fault.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

6000+ hours here and no pre drop or MF eva. But made tons of legendaries by farming champs hard

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

6000+ hours here and no pre drop or MF eva. But made tons of legendaries by farming champs hard

a t s e will love to hear this.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Actually, the bigger issue here is that you define the game by whether or not you get a precursor. If that is the only reason you’re playing, then maybe you should be looking at that instead of "OMG No Precursor and I deserve one because I’ve played over 9000 hours!!!)

I am right there with you… the big difference between you and me is that I don’t need one to have fun.

Good luck!

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im like 1500 hours not even close to get money to buy precursor

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

im at 2,380 hours and i have 16 gold in my bank.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

not happy? move on ppl …. zzz …

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Same answer as applies to all these threads.

DON’T GRIND.

It’s a game, play it to have fun.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP Because there is more to the game than a skin?

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

Why keep playing??

For the amazing, intricate, lore supported, complex and thought provoking Living World story of course. Why else?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

If you don’t like the essential gameplay, sticking around for low-likelihood RNG rewards is just silly.

If the gameplay doesn’t do it for you, I recommend taking a break until the precursor scavenger hunt or crafting is introduced.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

I do not wish to be rude but, judging by the amount of legendary around (over 80% of activity players have at least 1 legendary), if you really wanted one you could have easily got a precursor.

Most precursors are under 400g and that is like less than a week of farming! The most expensive ones like the legend is around 500 to 600k that is just over 1 week of champ farming!

I would hate legendary become more common as it is very common now as it is.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I don’t understand why complain RNG rewarding. To be honest, i have yet to play a game without RNG rewarding. One of my favorite game of all time “PSO” got heavy RNG rewarding system. You can fill up all your bank for game money 1000000 times easier than getting special weapon as loot, not to mention you got a chance to lose your equiped weapon when dying. GW2 on the other hand is very easy to get “BIS” weapon.

Honestly i never intended to get a legendary, therefore when i am lucky enough to get a precursor as loot, i am no where to start with. I’ve made an estimation, it will require me to play every dailes, monthlies, for 12 months, tons of AC run, world completion etc. i really no idea i am able to play that much as a man with a life.

So if you are well prepared for a legendary, when your time comes, its yours. Relax!

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

You’ve been playing this game more than you’ve slept since launch. That’s scary. Go see a psychiatrist.

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Instead of waiting for Lady Luck to smile on you, why not just go work for that precursor?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Because I don’t like Legendary weapons and I’m not working towards any of them anyway, so a precursor drop would be nothing more than a rather large gold boost for me when I sell it.
So I guess I may as well keep playing and oh, I dunno, enjoy the parts of the game that I do partake in.

My results are slightly different from the OP… 1173 hrs and at least three have dropped for me that I remember.

Ruin’s post represents me tho – they made me a good chunk of gold since I’m not building a Legendary. It’s all about the RNG.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Because i do not feel the depth of this game or any game can be boiled down to having or not having an item.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I have 3,441 hours and have yet to get a precursor.

I feel your pain!

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

RNG mystic forge or otherwise should have never been part of it. End of story. Additionally in reality it is just a skin. You are not stat locked so in the long run your effectiveness is the same.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

+3k hours and +600 gold shoved into the toilet and the only notably good drop has been Crystal Guardian from a champ box, whereas a friend of mine has got 2 precursors from the MF by dropping in daily world boss rares and she looted The Bard from a Twilight Arbor chest yday… >_>

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Most precursors are under 400g and that is like less than a week of farming! The most expensive ones like the legend is around 500 to 600k that is just over 1 week of champ farming!”

where is the math on this? 8 hours a day, 10 hours of pure efficient farming?

Posted by: jaimy.4108

jaimy.4108

Why are you playing this game to get a precursor drop? Is that all there is to it for you?

VoTF

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

If getting a legendary is the only reason for you to play this game, what will you do after you get one some day?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Apparently the carrot on a stick is very effective on some people.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Apparently the carrot on a stick is very effective on some people.

And for those that this is not true for the stick swung hard enough will suffice ;D.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

3400+ hours, didn’t get precursor via drop or mystique toilet… still playing

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Meanwhile some random 500 achievement guy puts 4 rares in Forge and gets a free precursor.

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

3.5k hours here 14k achievment Points no precursor and fractals scale 81 taken away…

first scale 81 fractals

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

…because there’s more to the game than Legendaries?

Polka will never die

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Firstly if your only motivation to play is to get a legendary is it really worth it? The game won’t be any different when you have one so if you’re not enjoying it now you won’t enjoy it then either. And if you are enjoying it now why not just keep playing the stuff you enjoy?

Secondly getting a precursor is not as simple as playing until one drops. If it was just a matter of time there would be a lot less complaining and a lot more legendaries in the game. (Except then the people who want one to sell or for prestige would be complaining because if they were that common they’d be nearly worthless.)

Precursors only drop from a few specific places:

• Level 80+ enemies
  • World boss chests and world boss bonus chests (the ones on the ground and the ones that pop-up on screen)
  • Dungeon chests
  • Some Jumping Puzzle chests

So it’s not a matter of you have a 0.01% chance (or whatever) and you keep playing until it happens. Any time you do anything except those activities your chance of getting a precursor is 0. It will never happen.

I suspect this is a major factor in why some people are more “lucky” than others. Someone who spends all their time doing the champ train in Queensdale for example will only get a chance at a precursor once every few hours when the Behemoth appears. Whereas someone who spends all their time doing world bosses and farming Frostgorge in between will have a chance of getting one from almost every enemy they kill. Someone who runs dungeons will be somewhere in between the two.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I played 2k hours as well and no precursor, but I still have 3 legendaries: I bought the precursors. Don’t go with the mindset that it is ‘unfair’. RNG is completely luck based and it even may happen that some people with only 1k playtime found 3 of those. I don’t get why ever kittening day another thread is started be cause one has the feel to tell us his frustration. Just stop, it doesn’t help anyone.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Entitled player is entitled

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

If there were no randomness to this, then the same people currently going ‘RNG OMG!’ would grind out whatever they wanted in a month and then be back here complaining that they have nothing to do.

It’s just not possible to please people who decide to make games into jobs.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

This thread gives us a taste of what having this type of thing having distant outliers has on the game.

Those that get nothing after extended periods of time/effort feel resentment and that is only enhanced when some get excessive amounts after relatively short amounts of time/effort.

So why do we have a system in our game that promotes this when other games have measures to minimize this? Most likely that is a question we’ll never get an answer for.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Precursors only drop from a few specific places:

• Level 80+ enemies
  • World boss chests and world boss bonus chests (the ones on the ground and the ones that pop-up on screen)
  • Dungeon chests
  • Some Jumping Puzzle chests

I’m afraid this statement is wrong m8. Precursor can drop from any enemy, chest or WvW loot bag, only the chances differ.

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

2500+ hrs and over 5500ap best I’ve ever got was a exotic.