2000 hours, 0 precursors, why keep playing??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

The question is “why do you want a precursor”, not “Dusk” or “Spark” or…

I think that what people actually say is “why can’t I have a free 600-700g bump?”.

I dropped several precursors over the course of the game. I farmed for them too by dropping hundreds of exotics in the forge. I got some real drops too. But so far, my farm were 2 The Colossus (by throwing only hammers in the forge), 1 The Energizer (by dropping only mace in the forge). My actual drops were 2 Venoms and 1 Carcharias.

So my actual question is: “would you stop complaining if you got a precursor but that precursor was Venom or Carcharias?”. No, you wouldn’t stop, because it doesn’t sell as high as Dusk, Spark, Zap or The Legend. Instead we’d have topics like “2000 hours and only one precursor… The spear one!”

So I actually stopped caring about those topics. Yes I got several precursors, yet I got some nice money of it, but it’s not even a third of all the money I’ve acquired by playing the game (excluding the TP). So go out of LA and play the game, you’ll get your desired weapon one way (drop) or another (TP).

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Because the game is not about getting a precursor?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: jessiejay.3625

jessiejay.3625

Thats like saying people who work 2 minimum wage jobs for 80 hours a week deserves a BMW vs someone who works hard for it in the right job with income to support it.

Life isnt about materials unless you believe in materialism. A friend that cares about you in the community is worth more than any precursors.

A legendary is not meant to be easy nor be in everyones hands. Neither is a BMW in every driveway.

Guild Wars 2 isnt based on legendary weapons. If so your doing it wrong. Have fun in the community or you will regret chasing an item not many are impressed by anymore.

Ms Jessie ~ Captain Jess, 2012
FracTonic|OmniPot|Golden Arms
Ad Infinitum & The Ascension

Posted by: BigMoser.8790

BigMoser.8790

6000+ hours here and no pre drop or MF eva. But made tons of legendaries by farming champs hard

Bored when reading through here, so I did some math. If this person played since launch (as of this post 517 days ago), they either played / or left the game afk alot for an average of 11.5ish hours a day. I’ve played since launch and I’m only averaging 3-4 hours a day :P.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Why keep playing?

That’s easy: DRUNKEN GUILD NIGHTS!!!

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

There is no rhyme or reason to precursor drops. Right after I got my first toon to level 80, I got a precursor drop. It was the Chosen. I kept it and sold it months later when I decided to go for my first legendary. I bought Storm and made Meteorlogicus.

Between the first of Nov 2013 and Christmas 2013 I had got three precursors. Rodgort’s Flame in one of the Arah paths. I got Venom in the Mystic Forge, and then Chaos Gun in the cliff side fractal. I had friends with me each time except the forge. It was freaking amazing. I was getting death threats from my guild mates. LOL

I kept Rodgort’s Flame to work on for my next legendary. I sold Venom to a guild member for much cheaper than she could have bought it for. I sold the Chaos Gun for gold to get mats for Rodgort.

This isn’t a brag or anything of the sort. It is just to show that there is no pattern or promise of a precursor. I was way beyond lucky. I have friends who have never gotten one that have played even more than I have. Do I feel sorry for them? Of course. Even with the hard time they gave me, they all understand that nothing is guaranteed no matter how long you play the game.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

~3k hours here. I’ve actually had one precursor drop…for an aquatic weapon. I sold it for 28g iirc. I ran a few rares through the MF before I remembered that I don’t play lotteries IRL because it makes no sense so I stopped using the forge for anything but known outcomes. In all those hours I’ve had a maybe five items drop that I would be happy to equip (post level 20) on the character I was playing. In an ideal loot system you loot enough for normal character progression and then some and you have a very occasional OMG moment. GW2 has left the OMG moments out altogether for the common player—I mean I’ve never really had one in all those hours.

The precursor thing is just sad. You don’t earn a legendary through legendary feats, or even a legendary amount of play. For most people that have them, you receive one, essentially, by gambling. That or simply grinding a, I suppose, legendary amount of gold. Who would have designed it this way?

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

~3k hours here. I’ve actually had one precursor drop…for an aquatic weapon. I sold it for 28g iirc. I ran a few rares through the MF before I remembered that I don’t play lotteries IRL because it makes no sense so I stopped using the forge for anything but known outcomes. In all those hours I’ve had a maybe five items drop that I would be happy to equip (post level 20) on the character I was playing. In an ideal loot system you loot enough for normal character progression and then some and you have a very occasional OMG moment. GW2 has left the OMG moments out altogether for the common player—I mean I’ve never really had one in all those hours.

The precursor thing is just sad. You don’t earn a legendary through legendary feats, or even a legendary amount of play. For most people that have them, you receive one, essentially, by gambling. That or simply grinding a, I suppose, legendary amount of gold. Who would have designed it this way?

The precursor weapons like any game item were chosen to be in the Mystic Forge for a reason. I have tried to rationalize a good reason for a weapon like this to be in there, tried to consider a fair equation where it doesn’t look biased to have players through good after stupid to get a precursor. I really have. I am a normally kind and fair-minded person. But I can’t rationalize this. I can’t find a fair reason. I can’t even say it was someone being dumb when they designed it because who would make this one weapon type a totally random drop with lottery level odds? No, it was deliberate. And if you do this deliberately, knowing only a stupid tiny percent of players would ever get that lucky, and the only other place to get it was trading post, then I came to a single conclusion after weighing every factor: gem store. It is literally to make the game money, that’s it. What other’s think of that attitude, I let them say. If someone can point out a real, fair reason other than that, let me know. My one grand glimmer of hope in the future is when I can finally start crafting my own rather than rely on the gem store to get what I want.

Posted by: Orange.9701

Orange.9701

Welcome to the club, but u are a noob, 3656 hours and 0 precursor

Good luck

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

Almost 3600 hours, 15+ toons (all lvl 80), 100% world completion on 1 toon, many hours spent in wvw (some commanding) and luck currently around 130%. Started gathering bits for a legendary ages ago but eventually gave up due to cost.

Got my very first pre last night after spending 40G on the cheapest exotics on TP (all under 2G) and throwing them into the forge. Figured I might at least get a better exotic back and ended up with tooth of frostfang. Spent the next 20 mins running around in circles unable to beleive my luck.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

…Holy crap. Have I been sitting on Storm this entire time and not known it was a Precursor?

Bwahahaha. Wow, I feel silly. Thanks, jheryn.8390 for your post.

Guess I can’t say I never got one, though I wish it was the axe one instead. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Leave then I guess.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Necro threads much?

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I guess if the whole point of playing GW2 for you has been to get a precursor drop, then yes you could ask the question why keep playing. But for most people, myself included, precursors are just one thing to work toward, not the only thing. I personally have never had a percursor drop in 1200hrs play time. Do I care? Nah. I’ve blown well over 500g in the Mystic Toilet at this point trying to get a precursor drop. Spread across a year and a half. It’s whatever.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Just finished my Legendary.
Got my precursor few months ago after spending around 200G on rare GS.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

3,495 hours. Bought one precursor for Bifrost. Have maybe 80% or more of everything saved up (basically need to buy the 2 recipes and the 100 stone things for 120ish gold, which I have – but still need quite a bit of T6 mats).

But don’t have a single dungeon run stone thingy from Arah. I figure I’ll need to go 9 times on 9 separate days to get the stones I’d need.

I’m intimidated to join a random group, and probably will never get to go, so it all sits in my bank.

Would love to get it some day.

I still find things besides that to do that are fun, though my choices are dwindling. The hard schedules for WEs have reduced the number of those I do. I used to enjoy the daily ‘to dos’, those were fun.

But I ultimately play a lot less now, and am reluctant to buy anything from the store that I think looks fun, lest it get the Westernized hammer like my running animations and some of my clothes.

I did buy $200 worth of Gs from MH recently when they had the 15% bonus on the packs (MaddolfNet never has deals like that). I get Sue Storm in less than a week, with lots left over for other costumes and heroes in the future.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I hate you all who have gotten lucky and gotten a precursor. :P

3980 hours played. 100% Map completion done 6 times now, working on two more. Dungeon Master completed, Hobby Dungeon explorer done 45 times now. Fractal Frequenter almost maxed out. Personal story completed twice. Done every single jumping puzzle multiple times. Champ farms done. Orr Farms/events done. WvW done lots. Every single historical achievement completed. You name it, I’ve done some of it.

How many precursors have I seen drop? Zero. None.

Three times now I’ve been in a party with someone who has gotten one as a drop while doing the same activity as them.

I have two legendaries…want to know how? I gave up on the toilet and saved my gold and bought the precursors. Seems that is the only way I’ll get one.

The drops SUCK in this game 99.9% of the time, some people are #&@(!&# lucky….not me.

I keep playing because I love the game not because of the crap drops.

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

Justify to everyone why you deserve a precursor?

Because you put 2000 hours in?

What makes that more worthy than someone who supports the community on a daily basis? A commander who tirelessly works in WvW? A player who put 2000 gold through the mystic forge? Any number of other reasons?

You don’t need one and the attitude that you somehow deserve one for putting hours in is absurd.

I agree. 4,300 hours into the game and over 17,000 achievement points before I saw my first random precursor drop. Play the game to enjoy the game. If your goal is to get a specific precursor/legendary, I guarantee you that if you spend another 2,000 between YouTube videos teaching efficient dungeons/internet resources and actually running daily dungeons, you will have enough gold to buy/craft your desired legendary, if not multiple legendaries.

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

3,495 hours. Bought one precursor for Bifrost. Have maybe 80% or more of everything saved up (basically need to buy the 2 recipes and the 100 stone things for 120ish gold, which I have – but still need quite a bit of T6 mats).

But don’t have a single dungeon run stone thingy from Arah. I figure I’ll need to go 9 times on 9 separate days to get the stones I’d need.

I’m intimidated to join a random group, and probably will never get to go, so it all sits in my bank.

Would love to get it some day.

I still find things besides that to do that are fun, though my choices are dwindling. The hard schedules for WEs have reduced the number of those I do. I used to enjoy the daily ‘to dos’, those were fun.

But I ultimately play a lot less now, and am reluctant to buy anything from the store that I think looks fun, lest it get the Westernized hammer like my running animations and some of my clothes.

I did buy $200 worth of Gs from MH recently when they had the 15% bonus on the packs (MaddolfNet never has deals like that). I get Sue Storm in less than a week, with lots left over for other costumes and heroes in the future.

Controversial, but you can also pay others to run the dungeon for you. I sometimes will solo/duo Arah, mainly to challenge myself and learn to solo Lupi, and partially to provide a service/help those like you, and also make a little bit of gold for my time/skill/efforts

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Is a precursor seriously the only reason you play?

If you can’t get a drop, just buy one kitten .

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

… Wow your going to be screwed when you finally get one then.. considering you have nothing worth playing now.. when you get it nothing will change.

thanks for the multiple facepalms

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Controversial, but you can also pay others to run the dungeon for you. I sometimes will solo/duo Arah, mainly to challenge myself and learn to solo Lupi, and partially to provide a service/help those like you, and also make a little bit of gold for my time/skill/efforts

I would consider this, but it seems like it might not be entirely legal, and I don’t know how the exchange works or if you can trust people? Do they trust you to pay after? Do you have to pay them before, and if you don’t get your dungeon tokens, oh well?

I’d be fine with paying. I’ve seen some advertised for like 5-6 gold each run. I figure that’s like 60 gold (on the high end, and 10 runs, but really I only need 9). Just something else to buy, really. I bought the precursor with game earned gold. I am mostly using farming and laurels for T6. I’ll have to spend 100g on those other stone things, and 20 on two recipes. I bought the precursor with money I had saved up (and sold a few other nice exotics I got as drops that fetched a bit of gold back in the day).

Not opposed to it at all. I’ve done some dungeon runs, but I’m honestly not all that good, I suspect, so feeling like I’d need to pay someone to carry me, so to speak, is not unreasonable.

Just not sure if it’s legal, or who to trust.

They should build it into the LFG system, where you put an agreed upon gold into a coffer in exchange for the getting the tokens for completion you are supposed to and when you acquire them, it releases the gold.

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

Title says it all……

An until precursor crafting comes (if it comes), its vaporware…..

Vaporware? Are you flipping kidding me? Lmao…… Jesus Christ what the hell has happened to the forums these days…

I take it from your attitude that you haven’t even tried Mystic Forging or world boss farming which are popular for precursors? I’ve played a ton too, never seen a precursor, and I really don’t give a kitten . If everyone had a precursor, then you’ve got a problem; legendaries mean nothing.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

We’re getting close to May, there was a statement they’d release new information about Scavenger Hunter at some point in this year (2014). Let’s see.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

23 years lived. 0 winning lottery tickets. Why keep living?

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

^ Brilliant.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Don’t you have to be 18 to legally buy tickets?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

Because I don’t like Legendary weapons and I’m not working towards any of them anyway, so a precursor drop would be nothing more than a rather large gold boost for me when I sell it.
So I guess I may as well keep playing and oh, I dunno, enjoy the parts of the game that I do partake in.

I coundn’t have said it better. Lol playing just to get a legendary is so lame. What a post. These kind of players crack me up. What ever happened to playing a game for fun.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

They are all made in China now and are staying there!

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

go go entitlement. 2000 of playing a game. You play games for fun, seeing you put in 2000 hours and you paid $60 for the game…screw it you threw in $140 in the gem store.

10 cents an hour for entertainment, that is a pretty sweet deal.

Paintball, hookers are a lot more expensive per hour.

Until the legendary becomes a requirement to progress, just enjoy the game.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

If your only objective to play is to get a Legendary?

And you’re not going to buy the precursor off someone else?

Then no, you shouldn’t keep playing.

Go play something else. Maybe check back next year to see if they allow for precursor crafting then.

Why are you ignoring the answer you already know?

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

4800 hours played here. Personally I’ve never gotten a precursor from a drop, chest, etc. However I’ve gotten 20 from the mystic forge using lvl 75+ exotics. Would be nice if the other drop rates were better.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s honestly a pretty foolish question.

Consider the following scenario:

2000 hours, 10 legendaries, why keep playing?

It’s the downfall of every RNG based lottery ticket. If it’s easy to get, then there’s no point. If it’s hard to get, then you may never see it.

The problem here is that it simply can’t be solved. If you’re playing the game solely to get a precursor, then even if you got said precursor, the game is over and you shouldn’t be playing anyways. The 2nd is associating play time with being entitled to get something. I don’t know why that would matter, considering I have 1600 hours logged, but I spend a lot of time afk or simply just running around maps because I feel like it.

Truth is, legendaries are a grind and luck based time sink (though the luck part can be bypassed by grind). If you don’t like rolling slots, then either buy a legendary or just accept that it’s merely a measure of grind/luck. And profit off the people that are impatient and will buy your t6 mats.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Voreo Sabrae.5416

Voreo Sabrae.5416

i just wish id see Chaos Gun , i got everything i need for my Quip
le sigh

Rawr?

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

One wonders, is it really random or is there a requirement for a precursor?

Posted by: Larenc.1269

Larenc.1269

I don’t see why your so upset =\ Legendary s arn’t that great just a minor boost is all they give over reg exotics.

Personally I get 20-30 exotic drops a day without trying and i’m only 91%MF. Maybe its just what your killing thats causing your problems. Kill high end mobs such as vets,elites,champs and world train bosses an you’ll find better items. I’ve gotten 1.3k g from a world train run before [when i got my dusk drop] and i’ve only gotten 2 other pre’s but for me I dont use them for the simple fact their a gold waste with horrible effects. [only twilight and incinerator impress me to any degree]

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Q.Q?

I don’t understand. I’ve been playing since early access and until they added preview to BLTC I had never even seen a Precursor. I have still never owned one, and I really could not care less.

If you’re playing the game for a Legendary I feel you have very odd priorities, but seriously, you probably could have just bought a precursor for how much you spent trying to win one through RNG.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: adubb.2453

adubb.2453

Because apparently a lot of people find it hard to understand why “2,000 hours (83.3 days. 50 full work weeks) 0 precursors” is frustrating to a lot of people: Because legendaries, contrary to popular forum troll opinion, are cool looking and desirable gear. They are a goal that a lot of people strive for and want. But when attaining that goal is dependent upon (A) spending a significant amount of real world money to get the necessary gold in a reasonable amount of time or (B) pure, dumb randomly generated luck… people tend to get frustrated.

Just because you were lucky enough to get a precursor doesn’t entitle you to talk down to people who are frustrated with the system that many feel is unfair. A system that we were told in July 2013 would be changed, and yet hasn’t. Being lied to about something like that sucks to people less fortunate then you.

Long story short: People (myself included) are frustrated because we want a legitimate way to obtain precusors besides dumb luck.

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

4.4k hours still no precursor drop in open play.

(52 from forge though)

Kal Spiro.9745

A system that we were told in July 2013 would be changed, and yet hasn’t. Being lied to about something like that sucks to people less fortunate then you.

Um, no? They never said, even once, they were in the process of changing anything. They only said it’s something they plan to do. No deadlines were given. They specifically said it would not happen before 2014. No one lied to you, you simply hear what you want to hear.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

adubb.2453

(52 from forge though)

Mmm. Yes, I see. http://i.imgur.com/CgrMo.gif

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The OP started this 5 months ago and I’m pretty sure he finally said his “good byes” yesterday. I wonder if he ever got one?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

adubb.2453

A system that we were told in July 2013 would be changed, and yet hasn’t. Being lied to about something like that sucks to people less fortunate then you.

Um, no? They never said, even once, they were in the process of changing anything. They only said it’s something they plan to do. No deadlines were given. They specifically said it would not happen before 2014. No one lied to you, you simply hear what you want to hear.

Oh? Please, let me know what part of this I’m read incorrectly. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

…what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you will also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.

What I see there is a statement that we would see a way to build precursors in 2013. I’m not sure there’s much room for misinterpreting that. And unless the meaning of the word lie has changed in the last year, not delivering that change would constitute just that.

Kal Spiro.9745

(52 from forge though)

Mmm. Yes, I see. http://i.imgur.com/CgrMo.gif

That seems about right.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

OP, don’t listen to the people who actually enjoy the grind or enjoy holding the fact that they grind over peoples’ heads. I completely agree that its incredibly silly that you can play so long and never get a precursor (or a lot of other things) just because of the silly RNG. I figure that when I get to the point where not having a Legendary makes me not want to play, if I still don’t have a Legendary I will stop playing. I’m not going to grind for anything.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Kal Spiro.9745

Oh? Please, let me know what part of this I’m read incorrectly. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

…what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you will also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.

What I see there is a statement that we would see a way to build precursors in 2013. I’m not sure there’s much room for misinterpreting that. And unless the meaning of the word lie has changed in the last year, not delivering that change would constitute just that.

That’s what you’re reading wrong. There is a period. They are two separate statements, and a thing that ANet should be notorious for. They make a statement, and then they follow that statement with another one that seems to imply they’re linked contextually. They’re not. They have to be taken separately.

There will be craftable precursors. Period. End of statement. No timeline, nothing.

I don’t recall any new legendaries by the end of 2013, though, so that one does still seem like a lie.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

If you are only playing to get a legendary, you will so stop playing after you get one. So you might as well just quit now…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

adubb.2453

That’s what you’re reading wrong. There is a period. They are two separate statements, and a thing that ANet should be notorious for. They make a statement, and then they follow that statement with another one that seems to imply they’re linked contextually. They’re not. They have to be taken separately.

There will be craftable precursors. Period. End of statement. No timeline, nothing.

I don’t recall any new legendaries by the end of 2013, though, so that one does still seem like a lie.

Yeaaah, I’d totally buy that excuse if the very next sentence wasn’t …

Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

Those sentences (all in the same paragraph under the sub-heading “Legendary Gear and Precursors”) are clearly meant to be taken together and under the same timeline.

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

My opinion: everyone should get them as drops or no one should.

Someone said something like: 2k hours, have 10 legendaries, why play? Give me 10 and I promise I’ll keep playing

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

2000 hours is chump change compared to some like me with almost 6000 hours since early access to the game and never even had the scent of a precurser so don’t feel cheated just yet. I just say that precursers are a myth. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger